Isla Fisher takes a swipe at H&A

Guest Mishyy

Jldraw you make some good points, Unless your into Aussie TV as me and lets face it Its not like it use to be decades ago, you wouldnt know who these actors are.

Second she does have a right to say how she feels yet its kind of strange for her at that time to do those episdoes and wear what she was told and then later say how unhappy she was and lets face it she not the only actor to do that yet it does make her seem ungrateful?

Ryan your right about writing as its ruined many of a character and show for me.

Neither Melissa or Isla likely had a choice but to do what they were told at the time which may be the reason both actresses have expressed some less than fond memories about the show since then. At the time Melissa George and Isla Fisher were working on Australian television neither had much of a resume to their name. Isla had done a few other soaps prior to H&A while H&A was I believe Melissa's first foray into acting as previously she had been a roller skating champion. So if either had expressed any type of reservation regarding what they were being asked to do by H&A or Seven Network back in those days they could've likely put their jobs and careers in jeopardy or at the very least gain reputations as actors who were hard to work with which is a reputation no young actor wants to get so early on in their careers.

Also in addition to what I just mentioned in most cases in regards to television shows and films unless there is a specific creative control clause in their contract which allows the actor to dictate the direction of their character, the actor really has no legal means to object to anything within reason as far as the direction the television show wants to take their character. Therefore if Seven Network wanted Isla in a bikini, she was going to wear that bikini. If they wanted Melissa George's character to sleep around with half of Summer Bay, her character was going to do just that and there was nothing either actress could do from a contractual standpoint to change that. Now Melissa as her popularity grew as part of the Angel-Shane super couple may have gained some creative control over her character but that is just an assumption on my part. She could've just as easily be as under the thumb of Seven Network from the day she signed on until the day she left. I know for a fact they offered her a substantial sum of money to remain on the show as Angel after her contract was up and she turned them down. In fact judging from some articles I've read leading up to Melissa's departure from the show, she was basically looking forward to the day her contractual commitments with Home & Away were met and she could move onto other projects which you can hardly blame her for. Here are some of her quotes from that time courtesy of "Chatterbox" magazine.

I'm pleased at the way Angel gets a fairytale ending. When Simon sweeps her off her feet it's like a Cinderella story. But she's going off to a wonderful new life and so am I. I can't see myself going back.

Home And Away has given me the best training anyone can ask for. Now it's a case of long live Angel but off I go.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isla's entitled to her opinion, and maybe the media has blown this out of proportion as well, but I do get the distinct impression that some of the actors/actresses who have made the big time seem ungrateful of the fact that Home and Away was a starting point of their careers and arguably the breakthrough they needed to get to the big time in the first place.

At least not all of them are like that however.

Another over hyped star taking pot-shots at the show which made her a star. When she was on the show it was at its best writing wise and as I recall the dialogue was very good.

Isla and Melissa must remember that without Home and Away they would have nothing.

My guess is that Isla is referring to the more 'scripted' tone of the dialogue instead of a more 'natural' way of talking. For instance when characters use soapy cliches, or how back then certain words couldn't be said. I don't think the dialogue in general was bad or unnatural though, but at the same time it isn't full of rich subtext and wit.

Another over hyped star taking pot-shots at the show which made her a star. When she was on the show it was at its best writing wise and as I recall the dialogue was very good.

Isla and Melissa must remember that without Home and Away they would have nothing.

In other words, to some degree they are "biting the hand that has fed them" so to speak. :wink:

I guess without that stepping stone from being on a show such as "Home and Away", they would have had to start from scratch or rely on their previous works in order to get them an audition to whichever shows/movies that they were auditioning for.

I highly doubt that they would have achieved as much as they have today, fame wise, without the ground work of being on a show such as "Home and Away" - they would be just another name and another face in a growing crowd of Australian ex-pats in a long queue trying out for various roles.

Wow alot to cover here. so

Jezz I agree sadly there alot of ungrateful actors out there and it hurts to hear that from Australia as I have always considered you "Good people" yet Im dispointed at learning what some stars are like in real life.

Rachel11990 Yes the 90s next to the 80s was a great era for Aussie TV. Im not pleased at whats currently being plannned and I think what you have now is both H&A and N being created in the late 80s bring reminds us of what good Aussie TV was!

Alexx Oh dont get me started on bad writing on other shows. Im so shocked at another Aussie series as I once did an convention and one actress told us a story where she was on a TOP rated us show back in 2001 and she had to say a line and later complained to her costar who said 'Well dear I wasnt going to say it!!!"

CaptHulk I agree we should admire the actors work and talent yet hearing something bad make you think do they feel that as they are working???

Quiet Achiver Like I said to Jezz its sad to hear of actors who feel that way and I heard bad stories from my mates yet they are some kind and caring Aussie stars that dont have an ego. I do admit they have been actors who have had issues and problems with shows, fellow actors, stalkers and other personal things. Yet they should understand most fans feel for them and only wish the best and in retrun they should show the same.

My message to them would be an episdoe of Star Trek TNG when the Admrial came on board the ENTERPRISE as Commander Riker the 1st officer was offered his own ship and turned it down. The Admrial told Captain Picard that they where alot of junior officers that would overtake him for a promotion.

That can be said to an actor who doesnt appricate a role as Im sure another young Aussie would love to be on H&A or N!

I can't see how the dialogue was that bad during Shannon's time. I can't see how the script for "Confessions of a Shopoholic" is any better. Maybe I am just an ignorant viewer. I remember an interview by Greg Haddrick in 1996. (One of the writers, may even do some episodes still?). And said Marilyn and Donald where his favourite characters to write for. I actually found it an interesting interview.

Around time Isla Fishersaid in an interview how great and topical she thought the show was. Just goes to show you can't believe a word they say half the time.

In other words, to some degree they are "biting the hand that has fed them" so to speak. :wink:

I guess without that stepping stone from being on a show such as "Home and Away", they would have had to start from scratch or rely on their previous works in order to get them an audition to whichever shows/movies that they were auditioning for.

I highly doubt that they would have achieved as much as they have today, fame wise, without the ground work of being on a show such as "Home and Away" - they would be just another name and another face in a growing crowd of Australian ex-pats in a long queue trying out for various roles.

================================================================

One thing you are leaving out is they were among the first Aussie soapies to try their luck in the United States. The fact that they both found relative success in the United States in many ways opened the door for other Aussie soapies to try their luck and it's been that way ever since. So from that standpoint they are sort of trailblazers and should be given huge credit for helping create interest and jobs for ex "Home & Away" and "Neighbours" talent. But you could also flip that coin and say because they were among the first, they were a bit of a novelty at the time where there wasn't such a long queue of Australian actors lining up for various roles.

This is in stark contrast to how it is now with almost every young actor to have cut their teeth on Australian television eventually moving onto the United States in hopes of furthering their career. I've discussed this before but it's not exactly a secret that there are a number of networks in the United States that look specifically to cast British, Canadian and Australian actors because they can be brought on board at a lower rate than American actors. Now an Australian actor with a solid resume like Poppy Montgomery, Melissa George or Anthony LaPaglia you aren't going to be able to secure at that discount rate but somehow I doubt that a lot of the ex-Aussie soapies are making as much as say Ashley Benson (star of "Pretty Little Liars") who reportedly just plunked down two million plus on her first house. There are obvious exceptions such as Chris Hemsworth and Ryan Kwanten, but I really wonder how many ex Aussie soapies are million dollar draws right now in the United States?

================================================================

One thing you are leaving out is they were among the first Aussie soapies to try their luck in the United States. The fact that they both found relative success in the United States in many ways opened the door for other Aussie soapies to try their luck and it's been that way ever since. So from that standpoint they are sort of trailblazers and should be given huge credit for helping create interest and jobs for ex "Home & Away" and "Neighbours" talent. But you could also flip that coin and say because they were among the first, they were a bit of a novelty at the time where there wasn't such a long queue of Australian actors lining up for various roles.

This is in stark contrast to how it is now with almost every young actor to have cut their teeth on Australian television eventually moving onto the United States in hopes of furthering their career. I've discussed this before but it's not exactly a secret that there are a number of networks in the United States that look specifically to cast British, Canadian and Australian actors because they can be brought on board at a lower rate than American actors. Now an Australian actor with a solid resume like Poppy Montgomery, Melissa George or Anthony LaPaglia you aren't going to be able to secure at that discount rate but somehow I doubt that a lot of the ex-Aussie soapies are making as much as say Ashley Benson (star of "Pretty Little Liars") who reportedly just plunked down two million plus on her first house. There are obvious exceptions such as Chris Hemsworth and Ryan Kwanten, but I really wonder how many ex Aussie soapies are million dollar draws right now in the United States?

What I was saying is that if they hadn't of been on "Home and Away" then "they would be just another name and another face in a growing crowd of Australian ex-pats in a long queue trying out for various roles." They would have had to start from scratch and be an unknown Australian actress who had to start from the bottom of the food chain and work their way up - but since they already had one foot in the door because of their time on "Home and Away", it made it all the more easier for them to produce evidence of the fact that they had appeared on the show.

But seeing as they were on the show and then ultimately were one of the first to try their luck overseas, I applaud them for doing so and I'm glad that they have found the success that they craved for that they most likely wouldn't have done in Australia, depending on how high they'd of set their goals for television/movie roles.

Archived