What Would You Do?

Ryan

Right, I'm bumping this.

What an excellent post, James! I agree with everything you've said and personally I think H&A is facing the axe unless its problems are addressed ASAP.

Whenever I watch it's really boring and the writing is lazy. I just don't think the characters have any life or depth to them anymore.

Once the Braxtons are out, I think it should be taken off the air for a short period so that there can be firings BTS and get some fresh writing talent in and a new Script Producer!!!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, while I agree with some of the points it made, I found the argument unbalanced and possibly contradictory.It says that the show shouldn't be giving the fans what they want but it also says that when it stops giving them what they want it'll die a death.There are fans now who only watch the show for the Braxtons and when they leave those fans will probably stop watching.This is nothing new.In a way, this site is the show's audience in microcosm:There are people who post regularly now who weren't around before the Braxtons, there are people who were very active four years ago who disappeared when their favourites left, there are people who've stuck around since the forum began.The loss of people who are fans of the Braxtons rather than the show would arguably be no bigger a disaster than the people who tuned off when Aden and Belle left or Jack and Martha or Shane and Angel or Tom and Original Pippa.The big problem-and I accept it is a problem-is if the show alienates the audience who would normally still be around after the latest flavour of the month has gone.I know there are people on here who've stopped watching because they don't like the current show.There are others who keep watching, myself included.There are even fans who've been around since last century who actually like the Braxtons.And by the time they've gone, in all likelihood there will be characters on the show who have brought in their own fans.The show's audience is bigger than a Facebook page.

Examples were quoted of shows that have died by moving too far away from their roots.But what of the ones that are left?EastEnders is arguably totally dependent on the Mitchells, a criminal family who just happen to live in the East End of London, which is why I stopped watching it and which is why the show's producers are desperately hanging onto the members of the family that are left while begging the others to come back.It's not a show that I enjoy and it has all the worst aspects of current Home and Away increased tenfold but that doesn't mean it's on death's door, even though it seemed that way a few years back.Emmerdale, once a show about a sleepy farming community, has turned into a show about a dysfunctional village full of violent criminals and sociopaths and even genuinely did change its title.It's an approach that has alienated some long-term fans but brought in new ones.

What can I say in conclusion?To be honest, I'm not sure.I think some fans are overly gloomy and also overly nostalgic, holding older characters up as a talisman of hope, regardless of their suitability to the role.A look at episodes from the 80s, 90s and early 2000s will show that the likes of Alf and Irene have always been flawed individuals who make mistakes and can be downright unlikeable at times.I don't think we're witnessing the end of Home and Away any more than we were in the Sutherland era.I could be wrong and if I am then that's a shame because it is a show that a lot of people clearly still feel passionate about, even if there are many aspects of it that don't fit in with their vision of what the show should be.

I'd introduce an Irish character, or a few. I don't know how noticeable it is in Australia but here pretty much every second person you know has been to, is about to go, or is currently in Australia. It's certainly topical here.

There could be a bunch of Irish folk show up at the caravan park on the holiday part of their visas. Of course there'd be the inevitable risk of stereotyping and having them all be drunks, but then again there's a lot of stories in the press over here about those who are down there giving us all a bad name again. So maybe there could be a mix. Some of them are rowdy drunks, some of them are charming and lovely ;)

It could just be a brief story line, like when they do schoolies, or if any of them were any good they could stick around.

I'm actually surprised they haven't had at least one Irish character the past few years, although like I said, it might not be that noticeable in Australia given the size of it, but there's a mass exodus here.

There have been a couple of Irish characters in the past. Probably the most prominent was James girlfriend in 2000.

I haven't noticed or met any Irish people in years but when I lived in the city I heard quite a few Irish accents floating around.

I'm not sure James' girlfriend Juliet, if thats who you mean was Irish. I know Nathan's girlfriend Grace was in 2002. She was also a nurse.

Another Irish character I can think of is Gabe from 1996-1997. A drunken Irish poet that Shannon became close to.

There was also a catholic priest that was Irish in 1996. Him and Jesse were old friends and he was one of two priests that married Don and Maz.

James I pretty much agree with everything you just posted.

Red Ranger, I agree about Alf/Irene being flawed with annoying character traits and that's what made them so well received in my opinion. Every character needs to actually have a character. And the last time I tuned in (during some of the episodes when Sally was around) hardly any of them seemed to have rounded and consistent personalities.

It does feel like incredibly lazy writing. Perhaps this is the quality of the writers H&A employ. But I think it's down to the producer, who is clearly a plot driven writer and we are simply seeing her vision for the show.

I'm one of those who had watched from the get go, was more than an avid viewer and have now switched off. It's not a show I could ever enjoy in it's current format. I tried to tune in and give it another shot when Sally returned. I watched every episode for the few weeks she was there and whilst there were very short scenes that I thought were nicely written, I just found the whole thing so boring, repetitive and lackluster. I even found most of the scenes involving Sally and Alf quite boring and repetitive, sadly.

All of the Braxton stuff which was supposed to be 'thrilling' and full of twists and turns, I also found predictable and dull. And I agree that the producers have completely backed themselves into a corner by changing the format so much. They have alienated a lot of viewers. Who have probably been replaced by the new audience. I've already reached the point where I don't watch and I don't really care anymore. It's interesting to discuss because I think it's a shame, but really I've given up and I've lost the passion.

I was saying in the 2000 discussion thread that I think the 2000 format was spot on really. Fast paced, character driven, dramatic, emotional, comical. If the current show was written in the same way, with the production standards of 2013, it could be incredibly successful. Both in Australia and overseas.

• 4 months later...

I would like to see a Westboro Baptist inspired group or something like that, I would also like to see more storylines like Sandra Barlow and Sam Barlow (without making it completely about Lucy and Louise's precious River Boys, it could be a River Boy's girlfriend that could be in the middle of it and that could be it), it is also time for another reunion, what do you all think?

If I was in charge I would reduce the amount of crime stories and have just the odd one.

I'd have the Braxtons take a back seat and introduce a new family.

I'd also bring in another foster child, fostered by Harvey and Roo or John etc.

I'd also give Alf more stories and bring back Morag and Celia to increase the presence of older characters.

I may even read the notes by Alan Bateman when he was devising the show to get inspiration.

The current format has been prevalent since 2011 and it need to be toned down. Less crime and lust stories.

If H&A does carry on the way it is at the moment, even if it has good moments, the show could be joining Prisoner, Crossroads, Brookside, Sons And Daughters and A Country Practice in the soap opera cemetery in the sky. The show is just under 4 years away from being on the TV for 30 years. Lets hope something is done soon so that the current format is long gone by the 30th anniversary.

If I was in charge I would reduce the amount of crime stories and have just the odd one.

I'd have the Braxtons take a back seat and introduce a new family.

I'd also bring in another foster child, fostered by Harvey and Roo or John etc.

I'd also give Alf more stories and bring back Morag and Celia to increase the presence of older characters.

I may even read the notes by Alan Bateman when he was devising the show to get inspiration.

The current format has been prevalent since 2011 and it need to be toned down. Less crime and lust stories.

If H&A does carry on the way it is at the moment, even if it has good moments, the show could be joining Prisoner, Crossroads, Brookside, Sons And Daughters and A Country Practice in the soap opera cemetery in the sky. The show is just under 4 years away from being on the TV for 30 years. Lets hope something is done soon so that the current format is long gone by the 30th anniversary.

Agreed, Prisoner was a great show and should still be going, but, I can see it being like Home and Away is now, petty storylines about a really boring family. If I were to produce Home and Away, I'd keep the Braxtons, but, tone them down to the point of them being involved in small storylines (or make their storylines equal, like everyone's was in the Early Years), like Alf is now and tone Alf up to being a main character, I'm surprised Ray is still on the show, when his character is being pretty much neglected.

Lucy Addario likes to sideline the older characters as it is obvious she prefers teens and 20 somethings. Wrong approach. If she read this forum and saw some of the comments she'd probably run and hide after reading 2 or 3 of the negativity about her performance.

Cameron Welsh started to inject more crime related stories and Lucy nad Lou have just built on that. Cazza Welsh, shame on you.

I hope they do read this forum. Sadly, they probably read the Yahoo! forums in delight.

I've noticed that a new character named Denny has been cast and is a 20-something. You're right that Lucy/Louise favour younger actors and characters. If there were some balance, then everyone would be content. Coral Drouyn explains in an interview on this site that it's easy to write for all characters.

Archived