What Would You Do?

Ryan

I think I'd keep Summer Bay House much as it is.I wouldn't consider the Sutherlands a failure as such but it feels like a blip or interregnum in the middle of continuity and I don't think the show would be served by having a revolving set of families living there, changing every few years.I think the current set-up needs a bit of tweaking to make it feel more like a generational family home.Keep Alf, Roo and Harvey, have a more definite set of children, move Spencer and possibly Chris into the house rather than sticking them in caravans, move Marilyn out:The show seems to be gearing up to turn her, John and Jett into a makeshift family which seems a much better idea than having her wandering around aimlessly as Alf or Irene's house guest, it's a shame having her with the Walkers was abandoned.At one point I wanted them to bring Lottie back and have her live there but now I'd rather have Rosie since her pregnancy offers greater storyline potential and I quite like the idea of her sharing a room with Maddy, an idea that's been kind of neglected in recent years.I'm not sure if Spencer and Maddy should get back together and certainly not any time soon, I think they need to see other people for a bit and then if it happens organically so be it.

Irene needs someone else staying with her, I don't think it necessarily needs to be someone she has a past connection with, more likely someone like what Spencer and Maddy were originally pretending to be, an orphaned brother and sister, teenaged, maybe the older brother goes for a job at the Diner and that's how she finds out they're living on their own.I think Leah and romance should be ruled out completely, whenever she gets given that sort of storyline it's a disaster, they need to concentrate more on her as a parent, VJ should be a key character not someone who appears for a few episodes every couple of months.I think Leah needs to have someone else living with her, a younger relative, probably female, about VJ's age who comes to stay with them.

April and Casey have run their course and should probably be written out.Frankly, I think Sasha's the same.All three of them have reached the point where they're just repeating old storylines.I'd keep Indi and Dex on:There's potential in seeing Indi without Romeo managing the gym and I'd kind of like to see Dex in a new relationship.I do agree though that the farm could easily be phased out when they're all gone though.Heath and Bianca still seem to have mileage, I'd clear out the Braxton house and let them have it.Kyle and Tamara could also need a long run as a couple, although I'm not sure where they'd live, I think there'd need to be somewhere new, a flat or something.

I've been thinking about how to write Brax out and I think it needs to be something reflective, not death or prison and not driving off into the sunset in the back of a taxi.The way things are at the moment it needs to revolve around Ricky:She commits some relatively minor crime, a fraud or embezzlement, Brax tries to cover for her, tries to help her go on the run and everything he does just make things worse for her and she ends up going to jail and that causes him to leave to do a lot of self-examination.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with most of that. I'd write Brax and Kyle out - both of them have gone as far as I realistically think they can go, but I'd be tempted to leave Heath and Casey around for a bit. Maybe re-pair Casey up with Sasha and leave Tamara with Kyle.

Not agreed with Leah and romance - it's been production circumstances that have seen both her husbands killed. I'd give her a new fella but maybe someone a bit older.

Irene and Alf would get more screentime. What we're missing at the moment, crucially, is a long-term set of adults. I said elsewhere that in five years Alf, Leah and Irene aside, there's been a complete turnover of cast. The show's worked best when there's been a mid-to-long term "core" of adults to contrast and complement the revolving door of teens.

Finally I'd give Alf a woman. I'd possibly even take a massive leap of faith and go through with pairing him and Irene up - something Coral Drouyn had planned to do had she not stood down in early 2004.

One thing I'd also like to do would to base a storyline that was actually set in the eighties or something. Like Bobby's paternity, you'd need time setting it up and how you'd actually get there I'm unclear, but for a few episodes to a week you focuses on these group of characters that knew each other in the eighties, complete with eighties decor, music etc, and the so the truth would unravelled by actually seeing what happened back then.

Too often we have these secrets or massive storylines that played out in the past, like say Belle's paternity and what actually happened is told within a conversation.

Crossroads (Series 3) did this shortly before it got axed back in 2003. The story of why things between Angel and Kate were frosty, along with some other stuff, was explained in a week of episodes set in 1972 when the two women were teens. I think Kate fancied someone - possibly Max - and Angel screwed him in a barn or something leaving Kate devastated. However, whilst Series 3 of Crossroads was bloody dire that week of episodes was, in contrast, really good inventive storytelling. I'd love to see this in Home & Away - the closest we got was in the 20th birthday storyline to explain Milco

I'd love to act in something set in the 80s too... I imagine it'd be quite fun to do.

I'd introduce an Irish character, or a few. I don't know how noticeable it is in Australia but here pretty much every second person you know has been to, is about to go, or is currently in Australia. It's certainly topical here.

There could be a bunch of Irish folk show up at the caravan park on the holiday part of their visas. Of course there'd be the inevitable risk of stereotyping and having them all be drunks, but then again there's a lot of stories in the press over here about those who are down there giving us all a bad name again. So maybe there could be a mix. Some of them are rowdy drunks, some of them are charming and lovely ;)

It could just be a brief story line, like when they do schoolies, or if any of them were any good they could stick around.

I'm actually surprised they haven't had at least one Irish character the past few years, although like I said, it might not be that noticeable in Australia given the size of it, but there's a mass exodus here.

• 2 weeks later...

Bring Back Peter Baker to run The Police Station
A new principal For Summer Bay High
Revamp the Diner back to A bright open layout away from the coffee shop feel
Get A brand new family into a new house amandas old house if possible
Bring Back some version of the credits even if it means getting rid of previously
Sign Actors Who Show Dedication and wanting to stay long term for a more solid cast
Revert back to the lighting we had from 2000 to 2007/8 with more sunny feeling and vibe
Set Up a Core teen group and deal with real issues

• 2 weeks later...

I have watched Home & Away since Day ! but did have a gap during the mid 1990's to 2005 but watched odd episodes in between. I have watched practically every episode since 2005.

I think it is time the programme had a major overhaul.

They need to go back to the roots of the programme and make the Stewart family back at the centre point - kind of is already but more of it. Let's explore more of the family. As well as Morag who we all love, bring back Celia, Barbara and also Debra (Let's have a veteran actress like Ally Fowler or Anne Tenney play the role).

Let's have propper opening titles with shots of the cast. Let;s see more locations. Let's revamp all the sets again and see more of them and see more rooms.

Let's have great storylines and put the programme at the sop again.

Yes I agree with some of your views on bring in actors who are willing to stay for a long period and allow thier charcaters to build up a fan base?

It seems the trend now is for actors to come in for about 2 seasons and move on Neighbours stars being so good at that.

Theres a long wish list I would have of Aussie stars I would like to see return to TV yet they are either busy with other things or moved to the USA!

It would be nice to have another Heath or Melissa come to Summer bay in the future.

I'd introduce an Irish character, or a few. I don't know how noticeable it is in Australia but here pretty much every second person you know has been to, is about to go, or is currently in Australia. It's certainly topical here.

There could be a bunch of Irish folk show up at the caravan park on the holiday part of their visas. Of course there'd be the inevitable risk of stereotyping and having them all be drunks, but then again there's a lot of stories in the press over here about those who are down there giving us all a bad name again. So maybe there could be a mix. Some of them are rowdy drunks, some of them are charming and lovely ;)

It could just be a brief story line, like when they do schoolies, or if any of them were any good they could stick around.

I'm actually surprised they haven't had at least one Irish character the past few years, although like I said, it might not be that noticeable in Australia given the size of it, but there's a mass exodus here.

There have been a couple of Irish characters in the past. Probably the most prominent was James girlfriend in 2000.

I haven't noticed or met any Irish people in years but when I lived in the city I heard quite a few Irish accents floating around.

• 1 month later...

So last week, viewers of Home & Away received the news we all knew was coming; the programme's third visit to the UK would indeed involve the Braxton brothers.

Lots of families have been at the "forefront" of the show over the years. The Fletchers, the Rosses, the Nashes, the Sutherlands, the Hunters and the Holdens have all had their time in the spotlight. But never before have one family dominated the programme, practically to the exclusion of everything and everybody else.

If you go on Facebook and Twitter, it might strike you as this being something that the fans want. I disagree. It's often said in soccer that a manager who listens to the fans too much will find themselves sat with them very soon. On this, I do agree. Home & Away has gone through a major revolution over the last eight years or so, moving into the realm of much darker and often very sensationalised storylines.

Initially this was very promising and shook the show up a bit. The Sarah Lewis Olympic Siege, which saw a crazed woman off her head on Crystal Meth murder a hugely popular character back in 2004 was, in my opinion, the programme's finest hour. The killing-off of a major character has to be worth something, it has to count - and on this occasion it did. This was quickly followed-up by the Zoe/Eve Stalker storyline which first time round was exciting. However, to bring it back for a second time was, I feel, misguided. That's where the show went from soap to a frankly bizarre cop-drama phase.

The end result was that barn explosion which seems to air every summer on 5* during the annual break and then the helicopter crash which created a bargain-basement version of Lost. It ended, naturally, in the most unbelievable way when Amanda Vale got "visions" and "premonitions." Very odd.

There's been a whole host of gun-wielding, drug and people trafficking and a shedload of crime since then. It is perhaps ironic that people say the show should now be re-branded The Braxton Show, when Grand Theft Auto: Summer Bay Stories would probably be more appropriate.

Lucy Addario and Louise Bowes talk of "light and shade" but we have none - we have the Braxtons and then we have a whole host of minor characters. The older characters have been reduced to extras. Where's the moral compass that Alf, Irene, Leah, Roo and Harvey should be providing?

It's all very well saying "well, that's what the fans want" but is it? I don't think so. What's now happened is that traditional H&A viewers have tuned out in their droves. I can't speak for Australia but in the UK the show is massively under-performing to the point it would be axed, or moved to a graveyard slot and/or a "brand-extension" channel, if it was on any of the other three main networks. The viewers that are watching now are saying "When the Braxtons go I will switch off!" "The Braxtons make it" "Who cares about Alf? He is boring. lolz"

And so consequently we've got a show which is dangerously close to getting axed in the next 5-6 years because it's gone in a direction which just isn't sustainable long-term. It is now a show which simply is not Home & Away. It's a show about a family who live in a seaside town and live a life of crime. There is a big difference.

No show is invincible. Brookside was revolutionary in the 80s and huge in the 90s. It didn't stop Channel 4 canning it in 2003, largely because again it over sensationalised itself to death in its' later years. Home & Away has already outlived Brookie, it's also outlived the original run of Crossroads which racked up 24 years. It must be the only show which had both its' original and remake die of exactly the same causes - a desire to fix that which was not broken.

Neighbours might be doing better than its' seaside rival in the UK, but in Australia it's a very sick animal.

But what can be done to save Home & Away from itself? Or is it now too late? Are we seeing the slow death of the show we all love?

Archived