What do you find wrong with the storylines the most?

Guest TelephotoMarigold

What do you find wrong with the storylines most?  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Following on from the first poll 'What do you think of the storylines?' I created this poll to get more insight into what people feel is WRONG with the show.

In no way am I overlooking the fact that some of you believe the show is ok right now and I'm not dismissing your opinions. I am merely focusing my poll on this aspect on account of how the second section of the previous poll received the most votes.

You can select multiple entries.

Please feel free to add your comments remembering to respect the views of others even if you don't agree with them.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a lack of interaction between some characters. The show is divided into braxtons show and the rest of the town show. For example this week 4 of 5 episodes were about Adam storyline. The episode without Braxtons had totally different feeling. It's like other characters don't care what nightmare Braxtons and their loved ones are going through. And they should care because it's a small community. Imagine if Irene was taken hostage instead of Tamara. It would make viewers and town care about it because everyone knows her. The pacing of storylines is better now. Dex's accident and Rosies rape have been handled really well, but I hate what has been done with Celia. Also new viewers should get to know characters. I've seen everything since 2012 and everything on 7Two, so what I know about Irene is that she's a nice woman giving advices. But having read these forums I get the feeling that there's much more to her. I should get to know her properly. And others underused.

The show is riddled with problems. I think Louise Bowes has been Script Producer for 2 years now so I think she'll leave soon. Lucy Addario should go too, I don't think she understands H&A.

We were told that 2013 would be a year of "something for everyone."

Has Alf or Irene had a storyline recently?

The show is riddled with problems. I think Louise Bowes has been Script Producer for 2 years now so I think she'll leave soon. Lucy Addario should go too, I don't think she understands H&A.

We were told that 2013 would be a year of "something for everyone."

Has Alf or Irene had a storyline recently?

Not unless you call Alf advising Marilyn not to get involved with John a storyline. Louise Bowes certainly thinks so as she told that all charactor get equal amount of storylines.

As a fan of the Braxtons, I'm the first to acknowledge that they've been overused lately and they've been involved in too many crime-related storylines, but I guess since they've come from a rough background where crime seemed to be the norm of the family, I can see where they're going with these stories involving the Braxtons. The show is almost showing viewers that while you may want to leave that way of life, it doesn't disappear so easily, as shown by the Braxtons.

I think where the show falls down is everywhere else. Apart from John/Jett who I find entertaining and dynamic together, the rest of the character barring the Braxtons are either really boring or there storylines lack excitement or interest.

I think there has been some improvement in the storylining this year, in that there has been some effort made to provide material for the non-Braxton cast members.

As expressed in the poll however characterisation is still very poor. The writers are clearly very keen to appeal to fans of the Braxton characters, and give them a healthy dose of storylines so that they're never out of the limelight. With the exception (for the most part) of Heath, these storylines are driven by crime and violence, and have become highly repetitive. An unfair proportion of episodes throughout each week are devoted to these characters and these storylines, and it makes it difficult to invest in the other characters and storylines. Although it has to be said that this situation is far better than it was in the latter half of 2011 and throughout 2012, the balance is still way off.

It's a point I'm sure you're all tired of hearing, but Irene continues to be neglected. It is so depressing to see this once great (and important) character reduced to Diner table wiper and agony aunt! I want to see her become a central character in the program. This is a character who has now been on screen for 20 years! Why is she being side-lined?

So, from the answers we currently have some of you feel that:

• there is a division in the show with it being 'the Braxton Show' and 'all the other characters' show'
  • There is too much crime/too much emphasis on crime to create drama
  • Older characters aren't being utilised.

What would you believe can be changed to improve the show then?

Obviously since I'm no longer a regular viewer, my opinion is based only on what I have read (articles/spoilers) or seen (when catching up on the odd episode to see what kind of shape H&A is in).

I personally find the show on whole boring. Every time I tune in to the odd episode to see whats going on, I end up waiting for the episode to end half way through I am that bored. To me it's so obvious that all the thought and enthusiasm is placed on The Braxtons storylines. It seems like they save up all their ideas for the Braxtons, not that they're very original ideas anyway. Actually they're unoriginal and repetitive. They give everyone else the tedious stuff - which at the moment is hook ups and break ups. More bland and unoriginal 'storylines'. I'd say John/Jett/Marilyn are the exception but from what I've read even that dynamic has become about a romantic misunderstanding.

I just find it all really bland and predictable. No excitement, no real emotional or gritty drama, no inspiring storylines going on and it's got a very cold/uninviting feel. I don't feel I can relate to a lot of the character. Some of them come across as irritating. Summer Bay seems like a depressing place to live and I wouldn't want to know a lot of the characters in real life, so I don't want to watch them on a TV show. Basically I've gone completely off it all. Sorry, talk about a negative post. It's just not a TV show I enjoy. The way I look at it is... if this was a brand new show, would I tune in and enjoy it? The answer is no. The only reason I am still hanging around is because of the history and my previous enjoyment. If I knew for a fact that it would continue going forward the way it has over the past few years, then I would probably delete my account, accept that it's all changed and forget all about it.

Archived