What do you think of the writing/storylines?

Guest TelephotoMarigold

Storylines.  

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think in terms of the questions, I would have answered "I've stopped watching" and "Some of the stories aren't that bad." There's a storyline you'll watch and think that's pretty good, that's not bad etc, but we don't swithc off due to one poor story and whilst one good story probably gets us watching, if the next story is rubbish, it doesn't get us hooked. So, some of the stories aren't that bad, but too many of them aren't that good.

Yes I agree. I did tune in to watch Gina's death and I thought most of it was handled really well. I enjoyed all of the John/Jett/Marilyn stuff (I disagree to an extend that Marilyn doesn't do anything, she does more than Irene, but as it stands that isn't saying much).

But all of the stuff in between Gina's death was just boring, tedious and made up the bulk of the episodes. One storyline and a small handful of characters can't keep me tuned in, especially when those characters don't really have a prominent role in the show.

To me it isn't just about the storylines. It's about the overall writing. The atmosphere, the pacing, the way characters do and don't interact with each other... etc.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beckersbabe, I think people use "Writers" as a generic team for anyone involved in the writing process.

I think if you look at Gina's death as an example, and this is more a Seven marketing issue than a writing issue, it was trailed for what felt like a fortnight. I was almost bored of the storyline before it had begun.

The writers are given storylines and then go away to write them. Not sure you can blame them per se, unless you mean individual lines or dialogue and stuff. It just seems to me that this is more about storylines than the writing itself (there is a difference). I agree that Irene, in particular deserves more storylines. I think more long-term, bigger storylines would be a good idea. I'd also like to see more funny stuff but that's just a personal perference.

The storylines are an issue certainly but also the actual writing of them. Characterisation, dialogue, pacing are all off. Some stories take too long to resolve and others are over too quick. It's not just the proposed storylines it's the actual writing. Ryan is correct though in his comment that we do use the term "writer" as a generic term to refer to the script department as a whole.

Someone should tweet this thread to Louise Bowes

Maybe that's not a bad idea, eh? But I wonder if she knows about this forum... :unsure:

Apparently she does! :P

Beckersbabe, I think people use "Writers" as a generic team for anyone involved in the writing process.

I think if you look at Gina's death as an example, and this is more a Seven marketing issue than a writing issue, it was trailed for what felt like a fortnight. I was almost bored of the storyline before it had begun.

I find the promo department as much to blame as the writers! They big up a story, the great storm for example, and it lures you in. When you watch all you end up with is a sense of disappointment when it doesn't match what was promised. There there was the whole "who will die" one. Well obviously it will be the one who isn't in the main cast.

Some interesting responses, thanks. TelephotoMarigold - when it comes to dialogue, sure that's a writer thing. But characterisation is pretty much given to them and pacing is a Directors thing. I'm only sticking up for the writers because I know one of the female writers! :wink:

^Yeah like the others said 'writers/writing' is referring to the script department and those in charge of how the show is written in general (Storyline, pacing, characters etc.) I know that each individual writer of an episode doesn't have a say in what happens in the episode or how characters will evolve/feature overall.

However the individual writers are responsible if they throw in some clever dialogue, or keep characters dialogue consistent. I.e if in the old days they would give Irene, Marilyn, Colleen some witty or funny phrase etc. (which they generally don't any more). Having said that, the script editor and producer would have the final say.

First off sorry to all the Braxton lovers who are no doubt going to call me a troll for saying this (I really don't care I'm just as entitled to my opinion as you are) BUT the writers of Home and Away have gotten it wrong on a massive scale Home and Away is NOT about crime drugs and muscle bound blokes covered in tattoos not getting arrested for thier drug pushing (yes I'm talking of you Heath Braxton! :angry2: ) it is for this reason that I have stopped watching and lost all respect for Cameron Welsh and Lucy Addario they obviously do not realize or care that some viewers have lost family members and or friends to drug use and therefore were heartless in glorifying drug use to teens in a 7pm slot poor show! :angry2:
And what the hell?! why are the likes of Irene Alf and Maz given bugger all to do? I swear Home and Away used to have this thing called comunity spirit maybe I was hilucinating :wacko:

To be fair I actually think they've done the best job with Heath out of all the Braxtons.Sure I don't like him with Bianca because I don't understand what they have in common to even think having a relationship is a good idea but it does seem to have turned him around, as has his relationship with Darcy.

Compare that to Brax who's done nothing but run a dodgy restaurant and we're supposed to believe he's some sort of saint.I think both Casey and Heath have proved they don't need him though Casey definitely needs a new girlfriend.

It's gotten better this year but there's definitely not the sense of community there used to be.If someone was in hospital the whole town used to be there.Now we're lucky to get two or three people.

I try to see a balanced perspective on the show, especially being a Braxton fan. I can see the strengths to having them on the show- I noticed most notably late last year, the show rates better when they're involved. I think they are actually becoming a lot more scaled back to what they used to be. Heath isn't into the drug scene anymore, instead his characters focus is his daughter and fiancé. When they first arrived, we were seeing constant fights and a lot higher rate of crime.

In saying this, I definitely agree there is not a balance in terms of equal screen time for characters. I can tell a lot of effort goes into Braxton storylines and probably the young teens of the show. It's almost as if they think to themselves while writing, "hmm Alf can just go fishing again and Irene can serve coffee in the diner". I remember years ago, Alf ran Pippa over because of his eyesight. Having his vision be brought up again or Irene's alcoholism would be nice. I do agree it's not split evenly between 22 characters! While I'll admit some Braxton storylines are entertaining, most aren't realistic which is a problem for a show wanting to portray everyday issues etc.

I am going to have my say. I do not want to get dragged into the Braxton debate or to be labeled as pro or anti Braxton because I am neither. I am just a fan who likes Home & Away. I avoid coming on here because I know it will just be the same argument about the writers and the lack of community feel. I am not arguing against the writers or for the writers. Scriptwriting is not an easy job and to have to churn out 5 scripts for a week for a long period of the year is not an easy job.

The Braxtons have dominated a lot of the storylines since they appeared on the show, their first initial storylines was designed to shake up the Bay and it did what it was intended to do which is great for most people. I am not a Braxton fan but I am a Heath fan. Heath is a good character. He's trying to change. I've noticed that but because he's a Braxton there is automatic generated response to him. I've said this before on so many occasions with Heath what you see is what you get. I have loved his character since he came into the show. I can't pinpoint exactly why I like him but I don't like the lack of progression. There is so much that can be done with his character. Darcy is a good start as I don't think anyone can say that Heath doesn't love her. He's invested so much love and time into her. He has fought for her and yeah at times he's wanted to give up but that's because he doesn't believe in himself not because he is incapable of doing it. Heath needs an education to be honest. I'm not saying that you can only get ahead in life if you have qualifications because it varies but IMO Heath needs one. He would be in a much better position to look after Darcy if he did. Honestly out of all the Braxtons my honest opinion is that Heath has changed the most and for the better but he needs to carry on. He can't just stop. It will make all the effort pointless and I don't want that. I've noticed that he has no friends and that's a shame. I would love to see him out with friends even just once in a blue moon. He needs scope and not to be stuck in the same repetitive life. That is not life IMO. There needs to be more character progression and positivity in his life namely Darcy and Bianca also. Bianca is half positive and half negative on Heath. They have IMO a good chemistry but it's not enough. They need to trust each other and be there. I love how he’s fighting for Darcy but at the same time accepting that there is no point antagonising Connie because she holds all the power.

Brax is another story altogether, to be fair, most of the stories are Casey and Brax trying to get Casey out of trouble which is just pathetic because the Bay is a family town, a coastal town and yet its been transformed into some criminal hotspot but while the criminal side is from the Braxton, I don’t think it is fair to blame them. It is the writers ultimately but from what I have seen everyone is blaming Louise Bowes, she’s one writer and to be fair I don’t blame her for not responding to insults because people tend to bombard her with it but on the other hand, twitter is also a platform for all the pro Braxton fans to applaud her on her writing which does give her the notion that all is good when in actual fact it isn’t. Scriptwriting is not an easy job and to have to churn out 5 scripts for a week for a long period of the year is not an easy job but something has to give. If we want the old community feel of HAA back, we need to make the writers wake up. All of them. Every single one of them.

I am no pro or anti Braxton, I am just fed up with the dreary storylines. I have been fighting depression since I was 15 and I don’t want to see it on the screen. Yes some dreary stories are normal but constantly, no thank you. I am blaming the writers for this, not the Braxtons. They get given the storylines and do it; they are actors and doing their jobs. The writers however are focusing so much on the Braxton’s and not on the whole of the Bay which needs to change. It’s all very well saying we want a change, and I know some of you have suggested changes but we need to carry on protesting. We can do it for months without achieving anything but if we carry on then surely somewhere along the line, we will achieve something.

I am sure this post is going to get broken down and analysed and picked apart, and people will either agree, disagree or discard it completely. I don’t care either way, I just wanted my voice to be heard. I will carry on making my point until something changes. I have invested too much time into HAA to give up now. I never give up and I refuse to do it now.

Archived