Barry Hyde - Ivar Kants

I think that's very presumptuous of Lynne if she said that:The charges were reduced to manslaughter and it was nearly seven years ago, by Home and Away standards he's probably been out about five years.Might be difficult for him to get a principal's job back with a criminal conviction though but it would be interesting to catch up with him.

I don't agree. They destroyed Barry Hyde with that stupid who-killed-Josh storyline. And we know everything about BArry Hyde, there isn't that much potential for him if they brought him back. I really liked Bartlett.. And most important; there are so much potential for him, there were hints about his history, picture of a daughter and so on, but we never really learned to know him.

I would like to see Bartlett again next year (when Ginas departure airs up here).

Edited by jodlebirger

I don't agree. They destroyed Barry Hyde with that stupid who-killed-Josh storyline. And we know everything about BArry Hyde, there isn't that much potential for him if they brought him back. I really liked Bartlett.. And most important; there are so much potential for him, there were hints about his history, picture of a daughter and so on, but we never really learned to know him.

I would like to see Bartlett again next year (when Ginas departure airs up here).

Yes there is, Barry was friends with more people in the town than Bartlett was.

He became a more likeable principal once he calmed down, and you knew where you stood with him, whereas Bartlett you didn't - he tried to make sexual moves on Kirsty, Barry would never have done that to a staff member.

I think both characters have potential.Martin may have been a bit unprofessional to start with but he was another one that settled into the job and ended up being pretty likeable, even if he didn't have any connection to the other characters outside work.With Gina gone, it would be nice to see him come back from the six month trip he went on three and a half years ago.

Barry's kind of the opposite in that he's probably burnt his bridge professional wise but he was friends with the other characters and part of the community.(Okay, there's only Alf, Irene and Leah would remember him now but he was close to Irene in particular.)Another character that gets forgotten about and left awaiting trial, we don't even know if he did any jail time for what was effectively two self-defensive kills and he remained a sympathetic character even after all that came out.I think both could come back easily.

Being friends with others in the Bay isn't enough to make good storylines. Barry Hydes background was well developed, Martin Bartlett wasn't but they did make hints about what could have been great storylines. His crush on Kirsty was just a sign of desperate loneliness, and they could have explored that further.. Being a likeable character isn't enough to make the show interesting. The show will be boring if all the characters were likable. But H&A's strength has been in the past, that they have explored why a character is behaving why he/she is. And that is interesting. I think they were better at doing this in the past.

• 3 weeks later...