Brian "Dodge" Forbes - Kelly Dingwall/Dale

Jezz

This is a thread where we can discuss arguably the most memorable villain of the 'Early Years'. He's none other than Brian 'Dodge' Forbes! He appeared in 1989 for about 4 months and then later returned in 1995 for about six weeks which included his disappearance for a period of time.

Ever since then we are unsure of whether Dodge is alive or not and whether the writers should bring him back or at least acknowledge his fate as his last appearance is still surrounded by mystery.

I know this is a bit out there, but I believe Dodge would have been better suited to being the 'Summer Bay Stalker' in 2005 as opposed to Zoe Mcallister, as this would have created shocks and could have brought back so many old viewers to the show.

Anyway, the questions I pose to users of the forum is:

1). Should Dodge return to the show or at least have his fate be acknowledged at some point, or should his fate remain unsolved in the future?

2). Had things been different, would Dodge been perfect for the role as the 'Summer Bay Stalker' instead of Zoe, and if so, was this a missed opportunity by the writers to end the mystery surrounding his fate?

3). What do you think is Dodge's fate? Is he alive or dead?

4). If Dodge is alive, what would be a good way to explain his survival, presuming he ever returned to the show?

forbes_brian.jpg
Dodge's return in 1995. Courtesy of BTTB character profile

Edited by QUIET ACHIEVER

Dodge's beef is mainly with Steven and as Steven was not around in 2005, not sure why he would target people he doesn't even know as the stalker was essentially to get revenge on the people involved with Sarah Lewis. So it would make no sense to me.

Would like him to be referenced at some point but not be brought back in a sensationalist story.

Edited by Blaxland 89

Well Dodge knew Sally very well, especially from 1989 and it's a known fact that they hated each other, and Dodge also knew Alf pretty well, and I'm sure Irene still would have been affected by the betrayal that Dodge demonstrated to her considering Dodge murdered Mud. Somehow, the writers could have easily said that Sarah and Dodge were friends or even lovers and explained it in that manner.

To me, Dodge mainly had a problem with Steven in 1995, but in 1989 he was more involved with the whole Fletcher family and the Summer Bay community in general.

I don't think it would have worked in 2005 and I do think too much time has gone. I actually like the idea that we don't know if he is alive or dead because it is rare to have an open ending like that. Perhaps they should find his remains and break out CSI: Summer Bay :o!

I was quite young when the 1995 storyline was shown but it must have been awesome because I do remember some of it :lol:. I also remember from that time the actor appeared on The Big Breakfast (UK show) and mentioned coming back to scare more people. That got my hopes up but it never did happen :(.

The evil characters are the best :devil:.

The first point you made was interesting and similar to one my friend who is also a big Home and Away fan. I was asking this friend of mine about Dodge and whether his fate should be revealed, and he said the idea of us (the viewer) not knowing whether Dodge was alive or not was realistic as the world can be a place filled with uncertainty, and the idea of us not knowing what happened to him just makes the storyline and the character himself more memorable.

Interestingly enough it seems like Kelly Dingwall/Dale hasn't been acting since 1997 according to IMDB, so the idea of him returning is not likely. When was he a guest on 'THE BIG BREAKFAST'?

Edited by Jezz

I don't think making Dodge the Summer Bay Stalker would work, even if you copied Eve's motivation(which was a bit slim as it was)and gave him a connection with Sarah.If Dodge had sauntered into town, even leaving aside the fact that he'd be wanted for manslaughter, kidnap and who knows what else, then the viewers and characters would immediately have been expecting him to be up to something.I think it would be a very different storyline, more akin to Eve's return the following year.

Bringing him back now...Well, Alf vaguely knew him, Marilyn was in town at the time, he killed Irene's husband and framed Roo's boyfriend.Is that enough of a hook to hang him on?There's also the fact it's been 18 years since his apparent death which might well be too long to pick up the plot thread and might spoil some fans' speculation about what happened.I guess what you do with him once you bring him back is the real question.Villains with the nebulous motivation of "revenge" tend to have a limited shelf life, be a bit dull or both.I think if you were going to bring him back as a villain, he'd have to have a definite purpose and a well thought out character arc, maybe he's planning a robbery in the area or maybe they could even have the ultimate rebel turn into some ruthless corporation villain. The other option I guess is to twist everyone's expectations and have him turn out not to be up to anything after all.They could do it but I'm not sure it should really be high on anyone's list of priorities.

The appearance on The Big Breakfast would have been around the time his last episodes were shown in the UK... I would assume anyway.

Well there were rumours that there would be a follow up storyline after both Steven and Dodge jumped off the cliff, but it never eventuated to anything, and hence I think the storyline has been left open and uncertain to viewers

I don't think making Dodge the Summer Bay Stalker would work, even if you copied Eve's motivation(which was a bit slim as it was)and gave him a connection with Sarah.If Dodge had sauntered into town, even leaving aside the fact that he'd be wanted for manslaughter, kidnap and who knows what else, then the viewers and characters would immediately have been expecting him to be up to something.I think it would be a very different storyline, more akin to Eve's return the following year.

Bringing him back now...Well, Alf vaguely knew him, Marilyn was in town at the time, he killed Irene's husband and framed Roo's boyfriend.Is that enough of a hook to hang him on?There's also the fact it's been 18 years since his apparent death which might well be too long to pick up the plot thread and might spoil some fans' speculation about what happened.I guess what you do with him once you bring him back is the real question.Villains with the nebulous motivation of "revenge" tend to have a limited shelf life, be a bit dull or both.I think if you were going to bring him back as a villain, he'd have to have a definite purpose and a well thought out character arc, maybe he's planning a robbery in the area or maybe they could even have the ultimate rebel turn into some ruthless corporation villain. The other option I guess is to twist everyone's expectations and have him turn out not to be up to anything after all.They could do it but I'm not sure it should really be high on anyone's list of priorities.

Excellent post. I think they could do it, but yes it'd need to have a 'purpose' as you say.