Michael Ross - Dennis Coard

^Wow! That's kinda scary. I often think it's scary when I watch the 1991 episodes and think...'in the grand scheme of life, it really wasn't that long ago'. But then I remember everything that has happened since 1991 and the future of the show, and how everyone involved in the early years had no idea that it would still be on air in 2013.

^Wow! That's kinda scary. I often think it's scary when I watch the 1991 episodes and think...'in the grand scheme of life, it really wasn't that long ago'. But then I remember everything that has happened since 1991 and the future of the show, and how everyone involved in the early years had no idea that it would still be on air in 2013.

Part of what can get me is when you think about how you watched characters as teenagers, then think what age are they now, oh, they're 40!

Part of what can get me is when you think about how you watched characters as teenagers, then think what age are they now, oh, they're 40!

Equally scary is when you look at most of today's characters and realise that in 1991 half of them were in primary school and the other half weren't born.(A couple of years back Neighbours had the teenage characters discussing being two years old in 1996 and I was like "What?!That was only a couple of years ago, wasn't it?")

• Like 1

Equally scary is when you look at most of today's characters and realise that in 1991 half of them were in primary school and the other half weren't born.(A couple of years back Neighbours had the teenage characters discussing being two years old in 1996 and I was like "What?!That was only a couple of years ago, wasn't it?")

For whatever reason when watching about a TV programme, I always imagine characters staying forever the age they were when they left.

Yes I can understand where you guys are coming from.

It freaks me out that Steven and Dodge would now be 40, and the likes of Lance, Martin, Carly and if Bobby was alive would now be 43-45 years of age.

Even recently, it feels weird knowing that the likes of Nick, Seb, Ric are now in their mid to late 20s.

• 3 months later...

Michael can get on my nerves for shouting at Haydn, doing stupid decisions, like keeping quiet about David's death to Sophie until she returned, but what I admire is that he is always prepared to give people a second chance, chance to rehabilitate. i loved how he said in one episode that he still doesn't regret giving a chance to revhead even if he was proved to be wrong. I really hate when a whole town turns against someone and doesn't let a person to turn over a new leaf. I think in this case I prefer Michael to Alf.

• 4 years later...

I think Michael was one of the more believable characters on the show. He was a very human, flawed person who wore his heart on his sleeve. It can't have been easy for him to go from living a quiet post-divorce life to moving into a house full of raucous teenagers. His reaction to many of the troubles thrown at him were very realistic and what most of us would do. He wasn't a saint and never pretended to be. What I liked about him was that he was prepared to admit he had got things wrong, even if it could take a while for the penny to drop. Like most people, he was a complex mix of kindness, goodness, pig-headedness, pride and vulnerability. Mostly he was a good bloke and his chemistry with Pippa was very believable. It's lovely that in real life, he and Debra got their happy ending. It's a shame that the programme makers decided not to grant them that on the show. I'd love to know the truth behind why they axed him. Michael and Pippa were a nice anchor for the show and the sort of grounding those wayward kids needed. If there's one quibble I have, it's that we got to see less of Michael's playful side as the series went on. One of my favourite early scenes is where he lets Pippa think he has given Adam Cameron the details of where they're going for their honeymoon, almost doubling over with laughter. More of those sorts of scenes would have been nice. 

• Like 1