Do you think Melissa George will try and stop The Early Years showing?

Guest beau_t

It's unfortunate though that so many miss out on some solid programming but like it was noted there is YouTube. There has been some highly enjoyable programming coming out of Australia the past couple of years with things like "Puberty Blues" which for me really was the sort of R rated version of "The Wonder Years". While "The Wonder Years" tended to romanticize the decade of the sixties in the United States in a coming of age type setting, "Puberty Blues" did the same for Australia casting the spotlight on the decade of the seventies but without the rosy colored glasses.

Likewise there was another Aussie soap that was around a few years back called "Out Of The Blue" which for me reminded me about what I enjoyed so much about the first few seasons of "Melrose Place" back in the early nineties. It was incredibly well produced and I'm surprised only got one season but I guess it didn't draw as well as expected.

Ryan makes a good point about kids being less judgmental but I disagree about the characters in "H20: Just Add Water" being more in line with Americans because to me the show seemed pretty Aussie. What is a travesty is now that Claire Holt and Phoebe Tonkin are over in the United States full time they have both had to adapt these really contrived American accents. It's unfortunate that audiences across the world are so adverse to actors speaking in their own natural dilect. Phoebe Tonkin and Claire Holt are Australian, let their characters have Australian accents. Likewise around a decade ago when Melissa George was on "Alias" and was cast as Briton, I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to allow her character to be part of the ASIS instead of British Intelligence so that she could use her natural accent. Although to be fair for some reason I've yet to figure out, whenever Melissa George gives interviews, she seems to favor a British accent rather than an Australian accent. Same with Caitlin Stasey from "Neighbours".

I remember thinking Caitlen Stasey seemed to have a bit of a British twang developing while she was on Neighbours. She often seemed to say certain words like she was from the UK.

I think it's interesting that so many Aussie actors do adopt a new accent once they leave, but mainly because it seems to happen so fast. I don't think it's realistic that after a year or two a person with an Aussie accent would sound so American or British, which makes me believe they do it as part of a career choice.

I've read that agents overseas tell Aussie actors to adopt an American/British accent even when they go to meet casting directors as themselves - purely because it's easier that way. Perhaps they think that they may as well keep the American/British accent for interviews too and it just goes on from there.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Caitlin Stasey's parents are British, she did panto at the theatre near me a few years ago partly because her grandmother still lives nearby and she was visiting her over Christmas.So I guess she must have grown up around English accents and that affected her own accent.

What I find strange is that you have people like Melissa George and Tammin Sursok that have completely changed their accents.

Then there are people like Ryan Kwanten, Isla Fisher, Guy Pearce and although they play a lot of Americans in interviews they still have their wonderful Australian accent.

It's unfortunate though that so many miss out on some solid programming but like it was noted there is YouTube. There has been some highly enjoyable programming coming out of Australia the past couple of years with things like "Puberty Blues" which for me really was the sort of R rated version of "The Wonder Years". While "The Wonder Years" tended to romanticize the decade of the sixties in the United States in a coming of age type setting, "Puberty Blues" did the same for Australia casting the spotlight on the decade of the seventies but without the rosy colored glasses.

Likewise there was another Aussie soap that was around a few years back called "Out Of The Blue" which for me reminded me about what I enjoyed so much about the first few seasons of "Melrose Place" back in the early nineties. It was incredibly well produced and I'm surprised only got one season but I guess it didn't draw as well as expected.

Ryan makes a good point about kids being less judgmental but I disagree about the characters in "H20: Just Add Water" being more in line with Americans because to me the show seemed pretty Aussie. What is a travesty is now that Claire Holt and Phoebe Tonkin are over in the United States full time they have both had to adapt these really contrived American accents. It's unfortunate that audiences across the world are so adverse to actors speaking in their own natural dilect. Phoebe Tonkin and Claire Holt are Australian, let their characters have Australian accents. Likewise around a decade ago when Melissa George was on "Alias" and was cast as Briton, I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to allow her character to be part of the ASIS instead of British Intelligence so that she could use her natural accent. Although to be fair for some reason I've yet to figure out, whenever Melissa George gives interviews, she seems to favor a British accent rather than an Australian accent. Same with Caitlin Stasey from "Neighbours".

I remember thinking Caitlen Stasey seemed to have a bit of a British twang developing while she was on Neighbours. She often seemed to say certain words like she was from the UK.

I think it's interesting that so many Aussie actors do adopt a new accent once they leave, but mainly because it seems to happen so fast. I don't think it's realistic that after a year or two a person with an Aussie accent would sound so American or British, which makes me believe they do it as part of a career choice.

I've read that agents overseas tell Aussie actors to adopt an American/British accent even when they go to meet casting directors as themselves - purely because it's easier that way. Perhaps they think that they may as well keep the American/British accent for interviews too and it just goes on from there.

Like you said it makes it easier for them when they go for a project. I noticed that in Former neighbours Margot Robbie when she did Pan Am.

Archived