Who knew Rhiannon Fish smoked?

Guest lozlovesh&a

I don't think it's a matter of them being role models. I could honestly care less about that. I think we have evolved enough as a society now where we aren't necessarily as susceptible to imitating the actions of entertainers just because of the mere fact that they are entertainers. If someone is so quite frankly either naive or weak that they take up smoking because Rhiannon Fish or Samara Weaving smokes than that is one hundred percent on them or their guardians if they are too young to make the decision for themselves.

My feeling on this matter is that despite the fact that smoking has certainly gone out of fashion in society over the past couple of decades it is still very much vogue within the entertainment industry to smoke socially. Don't ask me why, perhaps they think it's bohemian or something? Perhaps it's just something they enjoy socially? I think what is upsetting to some people is that most of the actors on H&A seem to be mature and level headed individuals so when these reports regarding the H&A actors engaging in a habit which in 2013, most of the world knows is linked to both disease and death it reminds us that despite displaying maturity on other levels, they too are capable of bad decisions.

I don't think that is passing judgment, I think that is simply observing the facts for what they are and that is anyone who willingly indulges in a smoking habit in 2013 is probably guilty of making a bad judgment call.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess so, but I am betting half of the people who think like that, are also the ones who are smokers (Wouldn't be surprised, you can't walk ten feet out of your home without seeing someone with a cigeratte). It's kinda hypocritical for those people to say that, while they are doing themselves.

But yeah, people do seem to forget they are people, they are allowed to make mistakes. And yes, some of them are probably so depressed or something gone wrong in their lives, they went down a spiral (Like Lindsay Lohan for example), but because people get in their heads they have to, like you said be mature and levelled headed, they just think it's horrible if they do it, even if the person themselves does the exact same activity. Which is even more ridiculous when it comes to the younger actors, they are young, they can't expect to not do things that others do (And what if they have a rolemodel? Or if they think half of their fanbase smokes, then they won't see a problem anyways).

It's the same thing with actors having opinions, even negative ones like Melissa George, despite what she said it shouldn't really matter, it's her opinion, how is her basically calling out H&A bad any different from the hundreds of people I keep hearing going on how bad the show is, or how much it sucks. I know she was an actress on it, but it's just an opinion. Just seems like some of the world needs to open their eyes more, and realize they are human, nobody's perfect and what they say with their personal opinions, or what their lives are like, is nobody's else business, and unless they murder someone in cold blood with no remorse, then there's no right to pry (Even then, it's not anyone's business).

It's the same thing with actors having opinions, even negative ones like Melissa George, despite what she said it shouldn't really matter, it's her opinion, how is her basically calling out H&A bad any different from the hundreds of people I keep hearing going on how bad the show is, or how much it sucks. I know she was an actress on it, but it's just an opinion. Just seems like some of the world needs to open their eyes more, and realize they are human, nobody's perfect and what they say with their personal opinions, or what their lives are like, is nobody's else business, and unless they murder someone in cold blood with no remorse, then there's no right to pry (Even then, it's not anyone's business).

Not to dig this body up again but here is why I feel that Melissa George's comments on "Home And Away" were inappropriate. At one point in her life, in fact at the very start of her career, Melissa George was given an opportunity by Seven Network and "Home And Away" to chase her dreams. From what I know of Melissa's career, prior to H&A she was a roller skating champion with little to no acting experience and H&A not only provided a forum for her to develop her craft but also through the promotion of the Seven Network made her a household name throughout Australia. Now I'm not denying that Melissa also contributed greatly to the show with her talent and ability but that being said what she failed to remember in putting down H&A this past fall was that it is still a series that is in production and is essentially functioning much in the same way it did when she was a young actress as a forum for developing young Australian talent.

It would be one thing if H&A was something that was "in the past" and I'm sure to her it was something that is very much "in the past". But what she said in putting the show down was incredibly disrespectful to every actor, particularly the young actors that are currently plying their trade on the show. The reason being is because Rhiannon Fish, Samara Weaving, Luke Mitchell, Lincoln Younes and the majority of the current cast on H&A are all looking for the same opportunities that were at one time afforded to Melissa George by Australian television in particular "Home And Away" and by her stomping on the brand the way she did was particularly a narrow minded thing to do.

Now will her comments hurt the chances of young Australian actors associated with "Home And Away" finding future work? I doubt it because as you mentioned in the end it's just her opinion of the show. The being said if I was an actor working on "Home And Away" right now I would have been rightfully put off by her comments and as a fan of the show I was genuinely surprised that we didn't get a rebuttle from either Seven Network, "Home And Away" or any of the current cast in response to her comments. But it's also quite possible that Seven Network chose to take the high road and asked it's actors not to add fuel to the fire in this instance.

To be honest if she was smoking something stronger then I could see a problem but if not then I don't see why it is anyone elses business. But then I don't see anything wrong with it because I've lived with smokers all my life (but never actually smoked myself)...

Maybe my opinioned is a little tainted then :blink: .

I've tried smoking (honestly is there a teen that hasn't?) but I'm so glad I never got addicted as quite frankly it's a filthy and potentially damaging habit.

My Gran was a heavy smoker for several decades though and she's in perect health. I think it's up to Rhiannon what she does - though I get the impression she is only smoking so as to appear more 'mature' and 'glamorous'.

I've tried smoking (honestly is there a teen that hasn't?) but I'm so glad I never got addicted as quite frankly it's a filthy and potentially damaging habit.

My Gran was a heavy smoker for several decades though and she's in perect health. I think it's up to Rhiannon what she does - though I get the impression she is only smoking so as to appear more 'mature' and 'glamorous'.

As I mentioned in the first page of this thread, I smoked in high school quite often, but I've since grown out of it and don't do it anymore, but yes most teenagers have at some point tried it.

Personally, I think Rhiannon's just a social smoker.

Archived