A Mothers Love

Guest Danni02

Thanks for the comments.

Chapter 31

Ruby took the bottle of water from the fridge before running up the stairs and into the bathroom, where she could hear her mother throwing up. “And I thought I was supposed to be the sick one,” Ruby said as she put the bottle of water down on the floor and held Charlie’s hair back. “You just trying to steal my thunder?” Ruby joked. “Is that what all this is about?”

“I wish,” Charlie mumbled as she flushed the toilet before sitting up and leaning herself against the wall. “I’d forgotten how crappy morning sickness can make you feel.” Charlie reached forward and picked up the bottle of water and unscrewed the lid and took a drink.

“Sorry,” Ruby exhaled. “It’s my fault you’re getting sick.”

“Stop blaming yourself,” Charlie told her. “I’m a grown woman and I made the choice myself to have this child. You didn’t force me into it.”

“Okay, sorry,” Ruby answered. “Will you find out if you are having a boy or a girl?”

“I haven’t really thought about that yet,” Charlie shook her head. “All I’m thinking about is looking after myself and eating well so that this baby comes out all good and healthy so it can save its big sister.”

Ruby scrunched her face up. “I don’t like referring to Bean as ‘it’,” Ruby said. “It doesn’t sound nice. I mean, that’s your son or daughter.”

“Right now I’m not sure it actually has any parts,” Charlie answered. “But I guess I get your point and you have christened it Bean, so it doesn’t really have to be an it.”

“No I guess not,” Ruby shook her head. “You got any names yet?”

Charlie gave a little laugh as she shook her head. “I think we are too early to be thinking about names right now.”

“When did you know you were going to call me Ruby?” Ruby questioned.

“You were a few hours old and we were having a little cuddle. You had these really red lips when you were a baby and I said that you were my precious little ruby stone and then Ruby just seemed to fit you.”

Ruby smiled lightly. “Could always carry on the gemstone tradition then,” Ruby laughed. “Little Sapphire or Diamond Buckton.”

“Maybe Jade and Amber are better gemstone names to go for,” Charlie answered. “Although it would be cruel to call a boy that, so we’ll see.”

“Hmm, I think I want Bean to be a boy actually,” Ruby said. “I’d love a little cutie brother.”

“Well there’s a 50/50 chance of it going your way,” Charlie smiled. “So you might get your wish.”

“Yeah,” Ruby smiled. “Well as long as it’s healthy I guess I shouldn't mind too much. I mean it is saving my life, so I can’t get mad at it being the wrong sex, can I?” Ruby gave a little laugh.

“No, I suppose not,” Charlie exhaled as she stood up from the floor. “So, anyways, what’s your plans for the day?” Charlie questioned as she walked out of the bathroom with Ruby following her.

“I’m kinda liking the whole movie on the couch in our sweats kinda days we’ve been having lately so if you have no plans then may I suggest we do that?”

“Sure we can,” Charlie answered. “I thought you might have been meeting Romeo today though.”

“He’s out boy bonding with Dex,” Ruby rolled her eyes. “And April has gone to the city with Bianca and the kids.”

“Ahh so I’m the last resort hey.” Charlie teasingly nudged her daughters arm.

“Well no I eh -”

“It’s fine,” Charlie laughed. “What do you want to watch?”

“Oh I’m thinking a Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow marathon.” Ruby answered.

“Sounds good to me,” Charlie answered. “How about you get the first movie ready and I’ll go get us some pizza’s for lunch?”

“And some of Leah’s lemon drizzle?” Ruby smiled sweetly at her mother.

“I suppose,” Charlie answered as she walked into her room and grabbed her wallet from the dresser. “I won’t be long. You’ll be okay on your own, won’t you?”

“Yes mother, I won’t use the stove, or answer the door to strangers or run with scissors.”

“I meant -”

“I know what you meant,” Ruby answered. “But you don’t need to be fearful of leaving me on my own for a little while. I feel perfectly normal today.”

“Sorry, I just worry.” Charlie answered.

“You worry?” Ruby gasped. “Well that’s news to me.”

“Oi,” Charlie pointed to her daughter. “Less of that or there’s no lemon drizzle cake for you.”

“That’s just mean.” Ruby pouted and Charlie exhaled before giving a little laugh.

“I’ll be back soon.” Charlie said before walking off down the stairs to get some lunch for her and Ruby.

Charlie walked into the restaurant and sighed lightly as she saw Brax was working. She was hoping to avoid him, as it was easier that way. She hated seeing him and not be able to be with him. “Brax,” Charlie gave him an awkward smile as she put the box of cake down on the bar. “Got a couple of pizza’s to pick up.”

“Second visit this week, anyone would think you’ve got a crush on the waiter,” Brax grinned. “Or of course you just like pizza.”

Charlie cleared her throat, feeling awkward. “So, how did last night go?” Charlie asked, feeling it was best to just ignore Brax’s comment.

“It was good,” Brax nodded. “Would have been nice if you could have come but I guess I understand you not being there.”

“Maybe if it was just Miles and Leah, but with Bianca right now I....” Charlie trailed off. “Well I can’t seem to get over it.”

“What about with me?” Brax questioned. “Do you ever think you’d be able forgive me?”

“Well I don’t think you are the only one who needs forgiving,” Charlie answered. “I am pregnant with another man’s child. If anything you’d think I was the one who did the cheating.”

“Well I didn’t actually cheat on you,” Brax answered. “I know I hurt you when I left and when I slept with Bianca but I didn’t cheat.”

“I know,” Charlie exhaled. “I just meant....” Charlie trailed off as she exchanged a glance with Brax. “Well never mind. It doesn’t matter now does it? Not going to change anything.”

“No,” Brax shook his head. “I don’t suppose it will.”

“Hawaiian and a meat feast for Buckton.” The waiter put the pizza’s down on the bar before walking back towards the kitchen.

Charlie pursed her lips together as she opened her wallet and handed him the note. “Need to stop giving you all my money like this.” Charlie laughed.

“Stop eating pizza then.” Brax said as he took the money from her, their hands lightly brushing against each other’s.

Charlie cleared her throat as she pulled her and away. “Well what can I say, they’re good.”

“Wish I could say I cooked them then.” Brax laughed as he handed Charlie her change.

“You were a better cook than me,” Charlie told him. “Poor Rubes is dealing with a lot more burnt stuff these days.”

“Ah she’s had 17 years of that, I’m sure she’s used to that by now.”

“I guess so,” Charlie exhaled. “Well anyways, I eh....I should get home to Rubes.” Charlie said as she picked up the pizza’s and put the cake box on top before walking away from the restaurant.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for the comments. :wub:

Chapter 32

Charlie was walking along passed the surf club, when she saw the little girl running towards her. “Hey Aunty Charlie.” Darcy smiled as she stopped walking just before her.

“Hey Darcy, how are you?” Charlie smiled as she saw Bianca with the buggy coming towards her.

“I’m okay,” Darcy answered. “Bianca, April, Rocco and me were shopping in the city yesterday.”

“Yeah, Rubes mentioned that,” Charlie said. “Did you get anything nice?”

“Yeah,” Darcy pointed to the clothes she was wearing. She had a pleated demin skirt on with purple stitching around the pockets and a white t-shirt with a beach scene on it and the words life’s a beach written on it. “I got these clothes and heaps more. I think I was spoilt.”

“To right you were,” Bianca laughed as she ran her hand down Darcy’s ponytail. “Hey Charlie.”

“Hi,” Charlie gave Bianca an awkward smile. “They’re real nice clothes though Darcy. You’re a really lucky girl.”

“Yeah and we got heaps of new stuff for Rocco too.” Darcy said as she looked down to her little brother and made a funny face, although he didn’t seem to appreciate this and continued to just sit there looking sad with his toy half in his mouth.

“Aww Rocco doesn’t look happy today.” Charlie said as she continued to look at Darcy instead of Bianca.

“Bianca said it’s because he is teething,” Darcy told her. “He cries a lot more now.”

“Aww yeah I’m sure it’ll be sore for the little guy.” Charlie said.

“Yeah,” Darcy nodded. “Well anyways, have you seen Uncle Brax’s new apartment yet?” Darcy questioned.

“Nah, I haven’t.” Charlie answered.

“Me either but dad and Bianca were there on Friday,” Darcy said. “Why didn’t you go to that?”

“Well you know that me and your Uncle Brax aren’t together anymore right?” Charlie questioned and Darcy nodded her head lightly.

“Yes but it would be nice to be friends.”

“I know it would, and hopefully one day we can be but right now I don’t think it’ll happen.” Charlie said and Darcy exhaled sadly.

“So why don’t you come to our house anymore and talk to Bianca or visit me and Rocco?” Darcy questioned. “Did you fall out with me when you fell out with Uncle Brax?”

“No, of course not,” Charlie answered. “But me and Bianca aren’t really friends anymore.”

“So you two have fallen out too?” Darcy scrunched her face up.

“We did.” Charlie exhaled as she glanced quickly up at Bianca before looking back to Darcy.

“I didn’t think adults fell out,” Darcy sighed as she looked up to Bianca. “Can’t you just say sorry and be friends again?”

“I’ve said sorry,” Bianca smiled down at her sort of step daughter. “And I would like to be friends with Charlie again but I don’t think it’s what Charlie wants.”

“Why not?” Darcy questioned as she looked to Charlie.

“It’s complicated, Darcy.” Charlie exhaled. “Look I have to go but it was nice talking to you.”

“Yeah you too.” Darcy smiled up at Charlie before she walked away. She exhaled lightly as she thought about Bianca and how good a friendship they used to have and wondered if she should just be friends with Bianca again.

Brax handed the bottle of beer to his brother as he sat down on the bar stool. “So, how are things with you and Bianca going?”

“Good,” Heath nodded. “Obviously we had a major setback in our relationship but we’re working on it.”

“I’m glad,” Brax exhaled. “You make each other happy.”

“Who’d have thought it though eh?” Heath questioned before taking a swig of his beer. “I’m the one who is settled down with two kids and the gorgeous girlfriend and not you.”

Brax gave a little snigger. “I’m sure stranger things have happened.”

“Like you breaking up with Charlie?” Heath questioned. “It’s plainly obvious that you’re still madly in love with her.”

“Sometimes love isn’t enough,” Brax sighed. “And you know I’m pretty sure she won’t love me anymore.”

“Oh Brax don’t be an idiot,” Heath shook his head. “I’ve spoken to her recently and she -”

“She told you she still loved me?” Brax questioned and Heath picked up on the glimmer of hope in his tone.

“Not in so many words no but she didn’t really need to,” Heath answered. “I could just tell.”

“Well even so, there’s a lot against us.” Brax exhaled.

“Like what?” Heath questioned. “The baby and you having slept with Bianca the day you broke up with her?” Heath said. “That’s not anything you can’t work through. Remember when you guys first got together? You were growing drugs and selling them, doing dodgy deals for money. Look at you now. A respected member of the community who wouldn’t dream of breaking the law. You changed your whole life for her and now you are a much better person, we both changed our live so much for our women and I love it, yeah so I just had a little wobble but being away made me realise what I had was so good I’d be stupid to leave it for good and turn back to the endless cycle of drugs and being in trouble with the law.”

“We have changed but maybe that was just all part of growing up.” Brax said.

“It was Charlie,” Heath said. “She made you the better person you are and you’d be a fool to end things with her for good.”

Brax sighed as he rubbed his forehead. “So, even if I did want to get back with her I don’t think she’d want me back. I hurt her so much by leaving her and again when I slept with her best friend so soon after breaking up with her, she won’t want me back and anyways, the reason I felt I needed to break up with her is still going to be there. She’s having a kid to save Ruby and they need to be her main priority now. I don’t need to be there to get in her way.”

“She loves you and I believe that she wants you back that’s all I am saying okay.”

“Well I’ve listened and as much as I would love to be with Charlie again, I just don’t think now is the right time,” Brax exhaled. “So discussion is over and don’t mention it again to me, okay?”

“Sure whatever you say.” Heath exhaled before taking another swig of his beer. He knew both Charlie and Brax were miserable without each other and only wished he could help get them back together but right now he was at a loss at what he could do.

“Hey baby,” Romeo smiled as he placed a soft kiss on Ruby’s lips. “How was your day yesterday?”

“Good,” Ruby answered. “Me and mum watched all the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.”

“That’s a lot of Johnny Depp.” Romeo said as he took a seat on her bed next to her.

“Well my boyfriend was off with another guy so I had to dream of someone hot.” Ruby answered as she gave him a cheeky smile.

“Johnny Depp, hey?” Romeo questioned. “Still on that obsession?”

“Always will be,” Ruby answered. “If you weren’t around I’d be off looking for him.”

“Well a girl can dream.” Romeo said before he gave her side a little tickle. Ruby gave a little giggle before resting her head against his chest.

“I miss you so much when you’re not around you know,” Ruby told him. “Like so so much. Like I can’t stand being apart from you.”

“Heavy,” Romeo widened his eyes. “Someone’s being a clingy little monkey.”

“Romeo,” Ruby hit his chest lightly. “I’m trying to be serious and tell you how much I love you and want to be around you. I don’t need an animal joke.”

“I wasn’t aware I made an animal joke,” Romeo replied. “And I love you so much too, but we need some space,” Romeo said. “It makes the time that we do spend with each other more special.”

“Oh, well when you put it like that I don’t think you will like my idea then.”

“You have an idea?” Romeo questioned. “Do share.”

“Well we’ve been together for 2 years next week right?” Ruby asked and Romeo nodded lightly.

“We sure have.” Romeo said before placing a soft kiss on her head.

“Well I was thinking maybe we could have moved in together. What do you think?”

“I think....” Romeo scratched the side of his head and Ruby sat up and looked into his eyes. “You’re mum will never let you live in a house with me.”

“Thanks for that, Sherlock,” Ruby rolled her eyes. “I was obviously meaning that you would live here with me and mum.”

“Eh....”

“You hate the idea don’t you?” Ruby questioned. “You don’t want to live with your girlfriend who has Cancer, of course you wouldn’t. Why would anyone want to -”

“Rubes,” Romeo could see tears forming in Ruby’s eyes. “Of course I’d love to live with you,” Romeo said as he rubbed her cheek softly. “I just don’t know if your mum will go for it.”

“Well we can persuade her,” Ruby answered. “And with her going to be getting fatter and less able to do things on her own as the pregnancy progresses maybe she’d be glad of the extra body in the house.”

“I’d love too.” Romeo smiled.

“So, is that a yes?” Ruby grinned.

“Well we’ll ask your mum and if she says yes, then yeah of course I’m going to move in with you.” Romeo said and Ruby smiled as she jumped forward and wrapped her arms around Romeo in a hug.

Thanks. :) Hope this one is okay, I’m not so sure....

Chapter 33

Charlie walked back into the house to find Ruby and Romeo sitting on the couch watching a movie. “Hey,” Charlie smiled as she shut the front door. “How are you Romeo?”

“I’m good thanks, how are you?” Romeo questioned.

“I’m okay thanks.” Charlie answered as she took a seat on the armchair.

“So, can I get you a coffee? No sorry not a coffee in your condition,” Ruby said as she stood up from the couch. “A tea, or an orange juice or a snack or a foot rub? Pregnant women get sore feet right?”

Charlie laughed lightly as she shook her head. “No, I don’t need a foot rub or want a drink.”

“What about a nice hot bubble bath to help you relax?” Ruby questioned.

“What do you want Ruby?” Charlie questioned, knowing her daughter was wanting something.

“Nothing,” Ruby shook her head. “Can’t a girl be nice to her mother without raising suspicion?”

“A girl can yes,” Charlie answered. “But on this occasion I know you want something.”

“Rubes, just ask her.” Romeo said as he looked to his girlfriend who was still standing up.

“Okay,” Ruby took a deep breath. “Well you know that me and Romeo have been together a while, like almost 2 years?”

“Mmm hmm.” Charlie nodded, wondering where this was going.

“Well we were thinking of maybe moving in together.” Ruby spoke tentatively as she sat back down next to Romeo.

“You are not moving out of this house Ruby, not right now,” Charlie shook her head. “When you are 18 and hopefully in remission then I won’t can stop you but -”

“No no,” Ruby shook her head. “I know that. I don’t want to move out of this house. I just thought maybe Romeo could live here with us,” Ruby said. “It’s someone else to help out if I am having a bad time of it and once you get more pregnant he’ll can help out better than me.”

“Why are you in such a rush to grow up?” Charlie questioned.

“I’m not in any rush,” Ruby answered. “Romeo and I are in love and I just want to wake up with him every morning.”

“Right,” Charlie nodded her head as she looked to her daughter. They were in a serious relationship and you could see they were going to be together forever, they just had something there. “Okay, I eh...if it’s what you two want then yes, Romeo can move in with us.”

“I so thought I would need to do more pleading than that,” Ruby said before she jumped up and walked over to where Charlie was siting and pulled her into a hug. “Thanks so much.”

“Yeah,” Romeo smiled at Charlie. “It’s nice of you, thanks.”

“Don’t think you’re going to get an easy ride living here,” Charlie said as she looked to him. “I’m not going to take any board money from you but I do expect you to help out around the house. Do some housework, cooking, shopping that kind of stuff.”

“Yeah of course.” Romeo answered as Ruby pulled him up to his feet.

“C’mon, let’s go get your stuff.” Ruby smiled as they walked over to the door and left the house. Charlie smiled lightly to herself as she stood up from the armchair and walked through to the kitchen to get herself a drink.

Charlie knocked on the door of her house, taking a deep breath as she waited on her response. “Charlie,” Bianca didn’t expect her to be at the other side. “What can I do for you?”

“Can I come in?” Charlie questioned.

“Of course sorry,” Bianca nodded as Charlie stepped into her house. They walked over to the living room and took a seat on the couch. “Sorry, I’ll put the kettle on.” Bianca was about to stand up but Charlie put her arm out and stopped her.

“It’s okay,” Charlie shook her head. “I won’t be staying long.”

“Right,” Bianca pursed her lips together. “So what’s the visit for?”

Charlie cleared her throat. “Are you sorry?” Charlie questioned. “For sleeping with Brax, do you....do you really regret it?”

“Of course I’m sorry,” Bianca answered. “I wish I could turn back time so badly,” Bianca exhaled. “Not only for you and Brax to have had a better chance of working things out but for me and you too, I hate what I’ve done to our friendship.”

“So why did you do it?” Charlie asked. “You knew how I felt about Brax so what....why?”

“I don’t know,” Bianca shrugged her shoulders. “It just happened. I honestly don’t know why it did, but it did.”

“There must have been something,” Charlie answered. “You don’t usually just fall into bed with someone. It’s not either of yours style. Well maybe more so Brax, but not you. You’re not like that.”

“It was just in the moment. He was upset over your break up and I missed Heath, although I was trying not to show it I did, and we both just needed that little bit of comfort and we knew it would be wrong, we did, but just for that moment we put all those thoughts out of our head and.....I’m so sorry Charlie, I didn’t mean to hurt you, I -”

“Well you did,” Charlie exhaled. “You don’t go there with your friends exes or potential boyfriends, you just don’t.”

“I know and I’m sorry, I really am sorry.” Bianca said.

“You can keep saying that, but it’s not going to change what happened,” Charlie said. “Now, the whole reason I came here was to tell you that if you want my forgiveness then I’ll give you it. I’ll forgive you, but right now, I also feel like I want to forget you.”

“What?” Bianca was shocked. She thought that by getting Charlie’s forgiveness they could start to repair their friendship.

“You know forgive and forget,” Charlie said. “That’s what I want to do.”

“Charlie we can -”

“Right now, Bianca, no we can’t,” Charlie shook her head as she stood up from the couch. “I might can say you’re forgiven but right now, I want to forget you ever existed in my life.”

“Charlie,” Bianca stood up and reached out to her arm. “Don’t you think you need people in your life right now? Surely having me as a friend, someone to turn to for support right now, it’s better than shutting me out of your life.”

“I don’t need a friend who can do something like that to me,” Charlie shook her head. “So you can stop feeling guilty for sleeping with Brax, if you ever actually did, I don’t know, but you can know that you ruined our friendship because of a moment of passion.” Charlie said before she walked out of the house, and slammed the door shut behind her, leaving Bianca quiet stunned at what Charlie had said.

Thanks everyone. :wub:

Chapter 34

Charlie was sitting on the beach watching him as he surfed. She tried not to watch him, but she couldn’t help it. She loved him so much and hated living the last two and a half months apart from him. She gently ran her hand over her stomach and she knew it was her fault that they ended. It was her fault that Brax went out and slept with Bianca, for if she didn’t have the idea of having this baby, Brax wouldn’t have broken up with her. “You alright there?” Brax questioned and Charlie looked up to see him standing before her.

“I’m fine,” Charlie answered. “Just thinking about things.”

“Mind if I join you?” Brax questioned as he pointed to the sand next to her.

“It’s a free country,” Charlie answered. “You can sit wherever you like.”

“So, how’s Ruby?” Brax questioned as he took a seat next to her.

“She’s good,” Charlie answered. “At least as good as she can be. She’s deliriously happy right now though because Romeo moved in yesterday.”

“Wow,” Brax sounded surprised. “You let Romeo move in?”

“I know, surprised myself too really,” Charlie gave a little laugh. “But I just want her to experience what she can now, you know, I.....you know just in case she doesn’t....” Charlie pursed her lips together, not wanting to say it. “I know the baby is a match and chances are she’ll get the transplant and be fine, but....well I can’t help the nagging feeling in the back of my mind that this could still go all wrong.”

“You’re bound to get feelings like that,” Brax said. “But you’re going to look after yourself well and the baby will arrive all healthy and she’ll get the transplant and be fine.”

“Yeah.” Charlie nodded lightly.

“So, I heard you went to see Bianca last night,” Brax spoke tentatively. “She was quiet upset.”

“Yeah, well I just.....I forgave her didn’t I?”

“Yeah, but you do know what forgive and forget means, right?” Brax gave a sort of laugh. “You’re supposed to forgive her then forget about -”

“I know what it means,” Charlie cut Brax off, mid-sentence. “She just got my slightly different version.”

“Right,” Brax nodded lightly. “So, am I next to get this forgive and literally forget speech too?”

“You can have my forgiveness if you want it,” Charlie said as she turned to face him. “But there’s no way I could ever forget you,” Charlie spoke quietly, almost in a whisper. “I love you too much to be able to do that.”

Brax gave a sort of smile. “I love you too.”

“It’s sad it’s come to this then,” Charlie exhaled. “We’re both in love with the other but because of this....” Charlie trailed off as she looked down to her stomach and placed her hand over it gently. “We can’t have a future anymore.”

“Well, never say never eh,” Brax smiled. “I love you Charlie and I hope that one day we can maybe have another go at this, but right now....” Brax trailed off as he shook his head. “It’s too much, the baby by Grant, Ruby’s illness....you’re dealing with enough right now and I don’t need to be there to get in the way.”

“Is that how you saw it?” Charlie answered. “I know that you became a second thought to me, but I never once thought that you were in the way.”

“I know,” Brax answered. “But trying to balance everything....it was hard,” Brax said. “Just take this time to be with Ruby and prepare for the baby. She needs to be your priority. She is your priority.”

“She always will be,” Charlie answered. “We were fine before this happened....I don’t understand why....” Charlie trailed off before taking a deep breath. “Well I do know why.” Charlie once again ran her hand over her stomach.

“Charlie I am trying to get my head around the whole baby thing,” Brax exhaled. “And it doesn’t bother me as much now as it did, I understand that you need to do this to save Ruby, I really do, so that’s what I am doing. I am letting you save Ruby.”

“By breaking up with me?” Charlie screwed her face up, confused. “I don’t understand.”

“Like I said, you need to be there for Ruby right now. You don’t need a boyfriend getting in the way of that. But I’d like to be your friend, if you can do friends.”

“I don’t understand any of this,” Charlie shook her head feeling confused as to why Brax actually broke up with her. “But I hate not having you in my life, so maybe we can try this whole friend’s thing.”

“Friends,” Brax smiled lightly, happy to be friends with Charlie, for now at least. He didn’t know what was going to happen in the future but right now, he thought that this was for the best. “Well I need to get going,” Brax said as he stood up. “Need to get ready for work but I’ll see you around.” Brax said and Charlie nodded lightly as he picked up his surf board and walked off the beach, leaving Charlie still confused as she watched him walk away.

“So I move in and now it looks like you are packing to move out?” Romeo laughed lightly as he walked into Ruby’s bedroom to see her putting some pyjama’s into bag.

“I’m going to the hospital for the weekend,” Ruby replied. “I did tell you this. At least, I think I did.”

“You might have,” Romeo gave a little shrug. “But just refresh my memory of why you are going in?”

“I have a new round of chemo to get through,” Ruby exhaled. “And the chemo tablets made me so sick so I am getting it through IV this time, but Sid said he wants me to stay over in hospital.”

“Ah,” Romeo nodded lightly. “I thought the chemo didn’t work though. And that’s why they’ve put you on the bone marrow register?”

“I dunno,” Ruby shrugged her shoulders. “Sid just said I had to go in for this. Maybe he’ll let us know more when we get there.”

“Yeah maybe,” Romeo exhaled lightly as he sat down on the edge of the bed. “Come here.” Romeo patted on his knee as Ruby walked over to him and sat down on it.

“What?” Ruby questioned as he wrapped his arms around her.

“I love you so much.” Romeo said as he placed a soft kiss on her temple.

“I know that,” Ruby answered. “And I love you too.”

“You know I was looking online at bits we could travel too,” Romeo smiled. “After the baby is born and you’re back to normal health, remember how we talked about travelling?”

“Yeah,” Ruby smiled. “We can go to the Taj Mahal and the Great Wall of China....we can go Jai hunting in Japan,” Ruby gave a little laugh as she heard Romeo give a little chuckle. “I’ve always wanted to swim with dolphins in Hawaii and go to the Amazon Rainforest,” Ruby smiled. “There’s so much I’d love to do.”

“It all sounds amazing,” Romeo smiled. “We’re going to need to save up a hell of a lot of money though.”

“Too right,” Ruby answered. “Better get looking for a part-time job then eh.” Ruby nudged Romeo teasingly.

“Uh you can pay your own way missus.” Romeo replied.

“Mmm, but we can’t go too soon cos I want to get to know my little brother before I go jetting off around the world.” Ruby said.

“What makes you so sure it’s a brother?” Romeo asked.

“I don’t know,” Ruby shrugged her shoulders. “But I want a brother so I am going to say it is one until we know otherwise.”

Romeo laughed lightly. “Fair enough,” Romeo said. “So, what time are you supposed to be at the hospital for?”

“5,” Ruby answered. “Mum’s going to be home to take me so we still have a few hours to kill.”

“Oh really?” Romeo raised his eyebrows before placing a soft kiss on Ruby’s lips.

“Mmm hmm,” Ruby pulled back as she stood up from his knee and walked over to her bedside table and pulled out her iPad. “Let’s see where else in this world we can go to.” Ruby said as she jumped up onto her bed and Romeo smiled as he crawled closer to her so they could look at places together.

This one skips forward in time again.

Chapter 35

“Aunty Charlie,” Darcy grinned as she ran over to her. “We are having a party, can you come?”

“It’s for Rocco’s birthday,” Bianca said. “You’re welcome to come if you’d like. It’ll just be me, Heath and Darce obviously and Brax, Leah and Miles.”

“I eh....” Charlie shook her head. The last few months were always awkward when she ran into Bianca, with Bianca trying to make at least small talk between the two.

“Please Charlie,” Darcy clasped her hands together. “It’ll be fun and Rocco would like to see you.”

“And it’s today?” Charlie questioned and Darcy nodded her head.

“Yep,” Darcy answered. “We are just going to pick up the cake. It’s chocolate flavour.”

“Wow, chocolate cake is my favourite.” Charlie smiled at the girl.

“So, you’ll come?” Darcy questioned.

“Well I need to go to the hospital today so I don’t think I’ll make it, sorry.” Charlie shook her head as she lightly rubbed her stomach as she felt the baby kick.

“Oh, are you going to have the baby?” Darcy questioned.

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “I’m only 6 months pregnant; it’s too early for the baby right now.”

“Is it uncle Brax’s baby?” Darcy questioned.

“No no,” Charlie answered. “This is Ruby’s dad’s baby. The baby is going to bring a special potion with it, and then we’ll give it to Ruby and she’ll get better.”

“That’s cool,” Darcy smiled. “Do you know if it’s a boy or a girl?”

“No,” Charlie shook her head and looked down to Darcy as she stepped forward and put her hand onto Charlie’s stomach, rubbing it gently.

“Darcy,” Bianca said. “Don’t just touch Charlie’s stomach like that.”

“It’s fine,” Charlie smiled weakly at Bianca. “What do you think I am having?”

“Hmmm,” Darcy scratched the side of her head. “I think it’s a girl. Yeah, a girl.” Darcy nodded.

“Really?” Charlie questioned. “Ruby thinks I am having a boy.”

“Hmm, well it could be.” Darcy exhaled and Charlie gave a little laugh.

“You have a preference?” Bianca asked.

“Whatever it is it’s going to save Ruby, so no,” Charlie glanced up at her. “I don’t have a preference of whether it’s a son or daughter who does that.”

“Of course,” Bianca exhaled, feeling it was best to probably leave now and let Charlie get on with her day. “Well then missus this cake isn’t going to pick itself up so let’s get going.”

“So, you really won’t come?” Darcy looked to Charlie, saddened.

“Like I said I can’t,” Charlie shook her head. “I’ve got to take Ruby to the hospital.”

“Is she getting an operation?” Darcy questioned.

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “She’s just getting a check-up. She’ll get blood test results from yesterday just generally see how she is feeling.”

“Oh okay,” Darcy nodded. “Is she well enough to take me surfing yet?”

“Don’t forget do you?” Charlie gave a little laugh as Darcy shook her head.

“She’s never forgets anything this one.” Bianca laughed.

“Well like she promised she’ll take you when she’s feeling better,” Charlie said as she lightly rubbed Darcy’s shoulder. “Enjoy your party and I’ll see you around okay?”

“Okay.” Darcy answered before she and Bianca walked away. Charlie exhaled as she watched them walking for a while. She missed Bianca like crazy and wondered if she’d punished her enough, not being friends with her for the last 6 months. She pursed her lips together before walking back towards her house to take Ruby to the hospital.

“I still can’t believe you didn’t find out what Bean was,” Ruby exhaled as she looked to her mother. “Seriously, mum, why not?”

“Because it will be nice to get a surprise.” Charlie answered as she ran her hand over her stomach.

“Don’t you think you’d like to know so you can buy gender specific clothes and give the kid a nursery fit for its sex and not a gender neutral one?” Ruby questioned.

“That stuff doesn’t bother me,” Charlie shook her head. “The kid is going to have a room and clothes. I don’t think she’ll really care if she has to wear a blue baby grow or if he has a lilac room.”

“Mum,” Ruby widened her eyes. “You cannot dress a baby girl in blue. People will think it’s a boy.”

“Then I’ll put a pink bow on her head.” Charlie exhaled.

Romeo gave a little giggle. “What you laughing at?” Ruby said as she glanced to her boyfriend.

“You’re funny,” Romeo said. “I think you’re mum’s right.”

“You are supposed to agree with me,” Ruby said. “I mean you'd only need to think about one set of names if you found out what you were having.”

“You already have your kids names picked out,” Romeo laughed. “So you can’t really use that as an argument.”

“Ahhh,” Ruby sighed. “Why did we bring you today?”

Charlie gave a little laugh. “You really already know what you want to call your kids?” Charlie questioned as she looked to her daughter.

“Yeah,” Ruby nodded. “I want two kids,” Ruby answered. “One of each. The boy first, Andrew, although Romeo hates that name but I’m sure I’ll get my way,” Ruby gave Romeo a cheeky glance. “Then 2, 3 years later we’ll have our little girl, Amelia, then Romeo here gets the snip and we’ll be one happy little family.”

“Uhm, I what?” Romeo raised his eyebrows shocked at what Ruby said.

“You heard me,” Ruby said before looking back to her mother. “So, yeah, that’s my family and I really would like to know if they are going to have an Uncle Louis or Aunty Diamond Sapphire Amber Jade.”

“Aunty what?” Romeo widened his eyes.

“Gemstone names,” Ruby answered. “Cos I’m a Ruby so if it’s a girl she should carry on the gemstone tradition.”

“I see,” Romeo nodded lightly as the door opened and Sid walked into the room. “Sid.” Romeo smiled nervously up at him.

“Hey,” Sid smiled as he looked to the 3 of them sitting looking up at him nervously. “So, I guess you just want me to get right to the blood results?”

“Sure.” Charlie nodded.

“They’re not the best I am afraid,” Sid pursed his lips together as he looked down the results before looking back to Charlie, Ruby and Romeo. He did feel for them. It seemed they hadn’t had much good news since the news of the baby being a match. “Her white blood cell counts are low. Extremely low.”

“So, what can be done?” Charlie questioned. “Is it more chemo earlier or does she need to.....what?” Charlie still didn’t really have a clue about all the medical things when it came to her daughters illness.

“We’d like to give her G-CSF injections,” Sid exhaled. “G-CSF or granulocyte-colony stimulating factor, help boost her immune system and stimulates the bone marrow to produce white blood cells.”

“So does this mean her chemo is over?” Romeo questioned as he rubbed Ruby’s hand lightly.

“She has another round to go once these injections will be finished.” Sid answered.

“How do they work?” Ruby questioned. “Like how do I.....do I need to be in the hospital?”

“You can come to the hospital and we can have a nurse give you the injection daily, or we can show yourself, Charlie or Romeo how to give you them and you can do the injections at home so you don’t need to come into the hospital every day.” Sid explained.

“So how long does she need to take them for?” Charlie questioned.

“Seven days,” Sid answered. “Her next chemo is due then so we’ll give her them up till then.”

“Can you learn how to do it?” Ruby asked as she looked to her mother. Charlie exhaled lightly as she looked to her daughter. Although she was used to her paler complexion and her more drawn in eyes, it was the loss of her hair that Charlie still wasn’t used too, the look of the bandana that Ruby wore – today’s choice was a simple white – to hid her bald head since she lost her hair during the last couple of months. She looked into her eyes and pursed her lips together as she nodded.

“Yeah, eh....” Charlie turned to look at Sid. Even though the thought of doing it scared her, she’d do it for her daughter. “You said I could right?”

“Yeah,” Sid nodded. “Well get the nurse to give her her injection today and then we’ll give you the rest away and you can do it.”

“Okay.” Charlie exhaled nervously.

“Right well I’ll go find the nurse and she’ll that first one done for you.” Sid said as he walked out of the room, leaving Charlie, Ruby and Romeo waiting. Ruby exhaled as she took hold of both Romeo and Charlie’s hands, each of them squeezing her hands comfortingly as she waiting for yet another injection.

Thanks for the comments. :wub:

Chapter 36

“Morning.” Ruby walked, still rather sleepily into the kitchen and over to the table where Charlie was sitting eating her cereal.

“Hey, Romeo still in bed?” Charlie questioned before taking a drink of her orange juice.

“Yeah,” Ruby answered as she sat down next to her mother, putting the iPad down on the table. “Look at this.” Ruby pointed down to the iPad as Charlie glanced down at it.

“A baby’s room?” Charlie questioned.

“Mmm,” Ruby nodded. “I designed it myself,” Ruby answered. “Thought it was about time the spare room got made into the nursery.”

“How can you design a nursery on your iPad?” Charlie scrunched her face up.

“I downloaded the app.” Ruby answered.

“There’s an app for that?” Charlie questioned.

“Mum, there’s an app for just about everything,” Ruby exhaled. “So, I could only make the colours neutral since you refuse to let me know what Bean is. So, it’s a sort of light brown colour but I put little giraffe and elephant stencils around as a border so it looked a bit more like a little baby’s room.” Ruby said as she zoomed in on the iPad letting Charlie see it up close.

“Ah that looks really nice Rubes,” Charlie smiled. “Although there’s still 3 months before the baby gets here.”

“That’s not long,” Ruby shook her head. “Not when you still need to decorate the nursery, buy Bean clothes, bibs, cute little teddies, a car seat, a pram, a bouncy chair...” Ruby trailed off. “You’ve done nothing. Have you even bought one item of clothing yet?”

“I have some baby grows.” Charlie answered.

“Not the ones I bought,” Ruby shook her head. “Have you been out and bought Bean anything yet?”

Charlie pursed her lips together as she shook her head. “I guess I just......” Charlie trailed off. “All I have thought about is why I am having this child and not much about once the kid gets here like it’s going to need clothes and everything.”

“Right,” Ruby screwed her face up. “Well I’m pretty sure that Bean will need clothes, and a place to sleep, that kind of stuff.”

“I know,” Charlie gave a little laugh as she lightly ran her hand over her stomach. “How about we go shopping today? Start getting everything we are going to need.”

“Yeah,” Ruby sounded excited. “Sounds great. Although if I knew what Bean was it would be easier. Could also design a new nursery too. You know a blue themed or pink themed one....”

“Why is it so important to you to know what the baby is?” Charlie questioned.

“Because 3 more months is a long time to wait and I....” Ruby trailed off as she looked down. “I just want to know if I am going to get a brother or a sister.”

Charlie exhaled lightly as she rubbed Ruby’s cheek, bringing Ruby’s head up to face her, knowing why Ruby was so eager to find out the sex of the baby. “Okay,” Charlie smiled weakly. “If it means that much to you. I’ll call the hospital and ask them to tell me.”

You will?” Ruby eyes lit up.

“Of course,” Charlie nodded. “But no pink for a girl or blue for a boy. I want you to think up something else.”

“Okay.” Ruby smiled as she started tapping on her iPad.

“Right,” Charlie drank the last of her orange juice before standing up and lifting the glass and cereal bowl and spoon over to the sink. “You get yourself some breakfast and I’ll go call the hospital and then have a quick shower and we can go shopping. How does that sound?”

“Great,” Ruby answered. “But remember you need to give me the injection.”

“Oh yes,” Charlie nodded, feeling slightly nervous at the thought of sticking a needle into her daughter’s stomach. “We’ll do that before we head out.”

“Right,” Ruby answered as she picked up the tub of cereal and poured some into one of the two bowls that was on the table that Charlie had gotten out for Ruby and Romeo, Ruby presumed. “Now, go call the hospital.” Ruby said and Charlie smiled at her daughter before leaving the room and making her way up the stairs.

“Okay that’s great.........yeah love you too, bye.” Ruby hung up the phone just as Charlie returned to the table. After a morning shopping they were now having some lunch, before probably going on to do even more shopping.

“Sorry about that, Bean thinks my bladder is a squeeze toy today.” Charlie laughed as she sat back down at the table.

“It’s okay,” Ruby answered. “So I called Romeo and he’s going to get Dex and April around to help him take the furniture out of the spare room, maybe even make a start to stripping off the wallpaper.”

“They don’t need to do that.” Charlie shook her head.

“Well you can’t exactly do it yourself,” Ruby replied. “So yes, they do. And I’ve also been thinking about Bean’s room, and thought that me and Romeo would do it all before you get to see it or know of the plan I have so it’s a nice surprise when you walk into the room for the first time.”

“Yeah sounds good to me,” Charlie took a drink of her water. “So, I’m not even getting to know what colour you’ve picked or what theme?”

“Well that would kind of ruin the element of surprise so....” Ruby trailed off as she shook her head.

“Fair enough,” Charlie exhaled. “But you know I did find out I was having a girl for you so maybe you could give me a little something back.” Charlie gave a little grin after she spoke.

“Doesn’t work like that I am afraid,” Ruby shook her head. “I get to decide this.”

“Oh and I thought the mothers always had the final say, silly me.”

“Yes mother, silly you indeed,” Ruby laughed. “And once Bean gets here she’ll do the same so you won’t have much luck with two daughters against you.”

Charlie exhaled as she rubbed her stomach as the baby kicked and for the first time, she felt herself excited for the baby. She didn’t know if it was because she was out shopping for everything, or if it was because they’d found out she was expecting a girl, but for the first time since she found out she was pregnant, this child was more than just a saviour sibling, bringing with her something Ruby desperately needed, she was also Charlie’s daughter, a new baby to love and get love back from. “Well as long as I get to be with my two daughters I’m sure I won’t mind too much.” Charlie smiled.

“I’m going to remember that,” Ruby teased. “Better watch out in the future,” Ruby gave a little laugh. “Ah I’m looking forward to the baby getting here. For obvious reasons but not just that,” Ruby shook her head. “I can’t wait to be a big sister and give her lots of cuddles and help her get into all sorts of mischief.”

Charlie smiled at her daughter. “I can’t wait for the free babysitter.”

“This for when you’ve got lots of hot dates?” Ruby grinned.

“Haha,” Charlie exhaled. “Who’s going to want to date a single mother of a teenager and a baby?”

“Someone,” Ruby answered. “There are decent guys out there who’ll accept us kids.”

“Yes but we live in Summer Bay,” Charlie sighed. “It’s hardly crawling with hot single guys.”

“There is one single guy who you find hot. Capital H, capital O, capital T, hot.” Ruby said.

“Yes but he doesn’t want to be my boyfriend,” Charlie exhaled sadly. “You can’t force him to be with me.”

“It’s obvious he still loves you,” Ruby answered. “I see the way he looks at you and the way you look at him. You both still love each other and it’s sad you’re not together.”

“Well he just wants to be friends so what can I do?” Charlie questioned.

“I don’t know,” Ruby shrugged her shoulders. “But I think you’ll find your way back to each other.”

“I don’t think so,” Charlie shook her head. “He says he wants to be friends but actually we still never even hang out as just friends. It’s like he can’t stand to be around me.”

“It’s cos he’s madly in love with you,” Ruby answered. “I mean, do you like being around him when you are just friends?” Charlie shook her head as an answer. “See, you won’t work being friends and one day, you’ll be together. If I was old enough to bet, had the money and you could bet on things like these, I would put a lot of money on it.” Ruby said and Charlie laughed lightly at her daughter.

“Well I guess it is nice to be optimistic about it,” Charlie pursed her lips together. Although she wanted Brax to be in her future, she knew the longer they were apart, the less likely it would be that they would be together again. “Anyways, I am starving so let’s order some food.” Charlie said as she looked down to the menu to see what she wanted to order for her lunch.

Thank you Sarah, beebee, Freakie42, Kristen, Spotd1, JosieTash and Zoe for commenting.

Chapter 37

Leah gushed as she looked down at some of the baby clothes that Charlie had bought for the baby. “Aww, I wish VJ was still this size.” Leah exhaled as she ran her hand over the little white baby grow with little pink and purple polka dots on it.

“Be kinda weird would it not?” Charlie questioned. “A twelve year old still the size of a new-born.”

“Haha,” Leah said. “You know what I mean; they just grow up so fast.”

“Well there is a way to fix that,” Charlie spoke softly. “You and Miles have been together for what, 4 years now? Maybe you could get baby making.”

“We’ve talked about it,” Leah answered. “I know he wants to have a child, but....well never say never. We’ll see.”

“Ohh,” Charlie raised her eyebrows. “This little Bean going to get a playmate?”

“She could have a playmate already.” Leah answered.

“Rocco, I know,” Charlie exhaled. “How was his party?”

“It was good,” Leah smiled. “Darcy is such a good big sister to him. He was running around and she was chasing him making funny faces and.....we’ll they kept us entertained.”

“He’s walking already?” Charlie questioned.

“Yeah, been walking since he was 11 months,” Leah answered. “Seems just overnight too he got this mass of blond curls. It’s so adorable.”

“I’m sure it will be.” Charlie exhaled as she rubbed her stomach as she felt her daughter kicking.

“So when did you find out it was a girl?” Leah questioned. “I thought you wanted it to be a surprise.”

“I did,” Charlie answered. “But Ruby really wanted to know. I think she’s scared she’s not going to be strong enough to make it through until the baby is born and....” Charlie took a deep breath as she looked down to the little yellow sundress that was sitting on the couch. She exhaled as she ran her hand over it. “It’s only 12 more weeks and she’s a strong girl, she’s already came through so much, I know she’s going to be okay, but I guess everyone worries right?”

“Yeah I expect so,” Leah answered. “So you said she was going to paint the nursery?”

“Mmm,” Charlie nodded. “Romeo and her are out buying the paint at the moment. I’m not allowed to know the colour or anything until it’s finished and I see it with all the furniture in.”

“Aww, well it is something to keep Ruby’s mind occupied isn’t it?” Leah said.

“Yeah,” Charlie answered. “The furniture is arriving on Thursday so they’ve got 3 days to get it painted and everything. I’m kind of regretting giving her my bank card to purchase the paint though because knowing Rubes she is going to come back with heaps of stuff that the baby just needed to have.”

“I’m sure Romeo won’t let her buy too much.” Leah laughed.

“Once she’s made her mind up there is no stopping her,” Charlie shook her head as she gave a little laugh. “Good luck to Romeo going shopping her. If she’d got her way yesterday there would be much more baby clothes sitting out here right now.”

“Well at least you know she is going to welcome the new addition to the family,” Leah smiled. “No jealous big sister.”

“Giving the reason I am having this child there’s no way she could be the jealous big sister.” Charlie answered.

“I suppose not, no,” Leah exhaled. “Will be nice to have a baby around again though.”

“Yeah,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “Truth is though Leah, I am so scared to have this baby alone.”

“You’re not going to be alone,” Leah answered. “You’ve got Rubes and Romeo around to help, and there’s me and Miles if you ever need anything.”

“I know,” Charlie replied. “I guess I’m a little sad for her not going to have a dad in her life.”

“Would you want Grant to be involved?” Leah asked tentatively.

Charlie shook her head slightly. “I think for Grant, it would be easier not to be. He has Tracy, William and Mila to think about. If Tracy found out I was having his child she’d go ballistic. Most likely leave Grant and take the kids with her. It’s better for Grant not to be involved and just be a father to the kids that he does have, you know....” Charlie exhaled. “I wouldn’t really want him around her either after what he did to me.”

“Well I understand that,” Leah answered. “And one day she could be calling someone else daddy,” Leah said. “You could find someone and have the family life that you always wanted.”

“I guess once the baby comes she will be my priority and as you say you and Miles, Romeo and Rubes will be here for her, maybe she won’t need a dad after all,” Charlie sighed lightly as she looked down to the clothes sitting between her and Leah on the couch. “Let’s get these away and head for some lunch or something, how does that sound?”

“Sounds good to me.” Leah answered as she helped Charlie pack away the clothes into the bags.

Ruby and Romeo walked around the store, Romeo pushing the trolley with the tins of paint, paintbrushes, rollers and paint trays already sitting inside it. “So, what else do we need in this store?” Romeo questioned as they turned the corner and started walking down the next aisle.

“We need the stencils for the wall,” Ruby answered. “I can’t decide between butterflies or flowers though,” Ruby sighed as she rubbed her forehead. The bandana often made her head sweat and she was feeling the heat today.

“You could get both?” Romeo suggested. “Butterflies and flowers would be a pretty nice match. I mean butterflies like flowers, right?”

“I guess,” Ruby sort of gave a little shrug. “But then it might look a little busy, I dunno....no I just want one.”

“Okay, well if you want my opinion I would say flowers,” Romeo smiled. “Those flower stencils look nice.”

“Hmmm,” Ruby picked up the stencils Romeo was pointing too, before looking to the ones of butterflies. “I think I like the butterfly idea better,” Ruby exhaled. “Do you like those stencils?”

“Yes, they are very nice,” Romeo answered as positively as he could. He didn’t care if they baby’s room was going to be butterflies or flowers but he could see that it was important to Ruby to get this right so he had to go along with her. “In fact yes, I think you should go for the butterflies, they will be really nice.”

“And you’re not just saying that so you can leave the store?” Ruby questioned. “Because you know I am not finished shopping after this. We are going to the mall in Yabbie Creek and I am going to get more clothes and a little teddy for her. Oh and we didn’t pick a mobile for above the cot so we need to get one of those, and bed covers and curtains.”

Rubes,” Romeo rolled his eyes. “Don’t you think you’re mum will want to get all that stuff?”

“No,” Ruby answered. “She said I was in charge of the room so it’s my choice and I need to get the stuff.”

“Okay,” Romeo took the stencils from Ruby’s hand and walked towards the cash register before she had a chance to change her mind again. He put everything up on the conveyor for the young girl to scan them so they could pay for them. The girl picked up the first paint brush but before she scanned it she caught sight of Ruby and stared silently in her direction. “Is there a problem?” Romeo asked as he saw her staring at an uncomfortable looking Ruby.

“No, sorry.” The girl started scanning the items through but she couldn’t manage to take her eyes off of Ruby.

“Do you want a picture?” Ruby questioned. “It will last longer.”

“I..I...” The girl stuttered.

“What, haven’t you seen a sick person before?” Ruby asked as she felt some angry build up inside her.

“Doesn’t your company teach you good customer service?” Romeo asked. “Staring at someone like that is quiet rude.”

“Sorry,” The girl cleaned her through. “I just thought.....she eh....she has no hair and I....”

“It’s called Cancer,” Ruby spat. “I can’t even go to the store with my boyfriend without having to be reminded of it now so thanks for that.” Ruby yelled as she gave Romeo the bank card and ran from the shop.

“Rubes,” Romeo exhaled as he watched her leaving. “Don’t stare so much at your customers next time eh,” Romeo said as he paid for the items, before picking the bags up and leaving the store, finding Ruby waiting by his car for his return. “Rubes,” Romeo said softly as put the bags into the back of the car before pulling her into a hug. “She was just a stupid girl.”

“She didn’t really even say anything bad but it was just the way she was staring at me like I was some kind of freak.”

“You’re not a freak,” Romeo shook his head. “You’re gorgeous, and you always will be.”

“You have to say that you are my boyfriend,” Ruby exhaled. “I bet everyone else looks at me and see’s this sick girl with no hair and pale horrible skin.”

“It doesn’t matter what anyone thinks of you,” Romeo rubbed her back. “You’re gorgeous, and funny, and smart, and I love you, and right now, that’s all that matters. Not what stupid strangers think of you.”

Ruby exhaled lightly as she looked up to Romeo. “You know the thing I hate most about this is not having my hair,” Ruby said quietly. “The injections, blood tests, the chemo, they don’t bother me as much as losing my hair. At least when I had my hair people didn’t know as easily I was sick. You know I could still wake up every day and brush my hair and put it in a pleat or in a ponytail but now I don’t even get to do that.”

“It’ll grow back babe.” Romeo said softly as he rubbed her cheek, his heart breaking a little at seeing how upset she was.

“I know but...” Ruby shook her head. “Well not much I can do about it. I mean I didn’t like wearing the wig so there’s nothing else I can try is there.” Ruby exhaled.

“Not that I can think of no,” Romeo answered. “If you want to go home now we can, we don’t have to finish shopping today.”

“No, I want to finish shopping,” Ruby sniffed back. “But let’s go for some lunch first. Mum’s treat.” Ruby managed a little grin as she hit Romeo’s pocket, where Charlie’s bank card was.

“You sure she won’t mind”? Romeo asked.

“Uh-uh,” Ruby shook her head as she opened the car door. “It’ll be fine.” Ruby answered as she exhaled lightly before getting into the car, with Romeo going around to the driver’s side to drive them to a restaurant.

Chapter 38

Romeo poured the paint into the tray, ready to make a start to the baby’s room. Three walls of the room were going to be a soft lilac and the fourth wall was going to be purple, with lilac butterflies stencilled onto it. “I can’t wait for the furniture to get here and we can see it finished,” Ruby grinned as she rolled the roller into the tray of lilac paint. “It’s going to be the best nursery a kid could have.”

Romeo gave a little laugh. “You’re awfully sure of yourself.” Romeo said.

“What?” Ruby questioned. “Don’t you think we’ll make a good job of this?”

“I’m sure we will,” Romeo answered as he put the first roll of paint on the freshly papered wall. The paper having been put up by Romeo himself, which he was rather proud of. “I have to say this lining paper has been expertly hung.” Romeo gave Ruby a little grin as he spoke.

“Yeah,” Ruby answered. “You surprised me how well you did it actually,” Ruby said. “Maybe we have a future business here,” Ruby joked. “Buckton & Smith Decorators.”

“Sure, but it’ll be Smith & Buckton my dear.” Romeo said as he put the roller into the paint before once again rolling it over the wall.

“No,” Ruby shook her head. “B comes before S in the alphabet so it would be Buckton & Smith.”

“Well we could just get married and make it Smith & Smith,” Romeo said as he gave Ruby a smile. “Or then I suppose it could be Smith Decorators.”

“You think about us getting married?” Ruby smiled up at Romeo.

“Well you’ve already named our children,” Romeo laughed. “So, is it really that big a shock that I’ve thought about us getting married?”

“I suppose not no.” Ruby shook her head.

“But yeah, I wouldn’t marry you right now though,” Romeo shook his head as saw that Ruby looked slightly disappointed. “Not when you have paint on your shirt.”

“What, already, where?” Ruby asked as she looked down to her shirt, but didn’t see any paint.

“There.” Romeo laughed as he pushed his roller full of paint against her, getting her shirt covered in paint.

“Romeo Smith,” Ruby gasped in shock at what he’d done. “You little....” Ruby trailed off as she held her roller out in his direction, getting paint on this bare arm.

“Hey hey,” Romeo took a few steps back. “If you want a paint fight you’ve got one girl.” Romeo said as he once again tried to hit Ruby with his roller.

“No Romeo, no,” Ruby shook her head. “I don’t want to be covered in paint.”

“You better run then,” Romeo raised his eyebrows and Ruby squealed as she ran to the other side of the room, and stood in the corner and covered her face with her hands. Romeo laughed lightly as he lay his roller down next to Ruby’s and ran across to where she was standing. “Boo.”

Ruby squealed as she hit her hands out against him. Romeo laughed lightly as he held onto her sides. Ruby, upon realising he didn’t have the roller on him, relaxed slightly. “You’re so mean.”

Romeo gave a little laugh. “Thought I was funny myself.”

“Nope,” Ruby shook her head. “It wasn’t funny at all. Just mean. Just real mean.”

“Aww well maybe I’ll need to give you a kiss to make it up to you.” Romeo smiled as he leaned his head down but Ruby pushed his face away.

“No, I don’t kiss mean boys,” Ruby shook her head. “Now, let’s get back to painting the walls instead of each other.” Ruby said before she walked back across the room to continue painting the wall.

Charlie was making her way to the Surf Club to go to Angelo’s to pick up the pizza’s that she’d ordered for dinner. She exhaled lightly as a part of her hoped Brax was working, and it was then when she felt someone bump against her leg. “Rocco,” Bianca exhaled as she was running towards her son. “What did mummy tell you about watching where you are walking?”

“Waa ba waa.” Rocco babbled. Although he’d mastered walking, he was yet get to get his head around the talking thing, and so far could only managed mamma, dadda, no, juice, hi, bye-bye and referred to his big sister as Da-cee.

“It was my fault,” Charlie answered. “I wasn’t looking where I was going. I was in dreamland.”

“Well even so,” Bianca lifted Rocco into her arms as she spoke. “He needs to learn to watch where he’s walking. I wish I brought the buggy out with me but damn Heath was like let him walk, he likes to walk, he needs to learn.” Bianca rolled her eyes.

“Oh right,” Charlie nodded lightly as she bit her lip. She’d see Rocco around town, but not that close up for a long time and she couldn’t believe how big he’s gotten or just like Leah said, how much hair he now had. “He’s going to be a little heartbreaker.” Charlie smiled as she watched Rocco staring down at Bianca’s necklace as he held the pendant with his hand.

“Isn’t he just?” Bianca gushed as she squeezed her son’s cheek. “He’s so handsome.”

“Yeah.” Charlie smiled weakly.

“So, how’s Rubes doing?” Bianca questioned. “I’m pretty sure I saw her and Romeo out in Yabbie Creek earlier.”

“Could have been them, they were out buying paint and stuff for the baby’s room.” Charlie said.

“She got herself on painting duty?” Bianca gave a little laugh.

“Yeah,” Charlie answered. “But she’s doing......okay, thanks for asking. She’s eh....well I don’t really know if I would say she was okay actually, but she looks okay I think, she’s had to get injections to boost her immune system and help her white cells grow, but hopefully they will help her.”

“Oh wow, eh...yeah,” Bianca rubbed her sons back as he rested his head against her shoulder. “So they’ll help her until your little one arrives?” Bianca questioned unsure.

“Hopefully,” Charlie answered before pursing her lips together. “Anyways, I should get going.”

“Do you have 5 minutes?” Bianca questioned. “I wanted to talk to you about Romeo.”

“What about Romeo?” Charlie questioned, staying where she was standing.

“Well you know they’ve just done the HSC trails at school?” Bianca questioned and Charlie nodded lightly.

“What about them?”

“Well we’ve got his results and....” Bianca trailed off. “Look we understand that it’s been hard for him to stay focused in class recently but with his HSC only a few months away and given the results of his trials....” Bianca once again trailed off. “Look, Romeo failed them all and we feel that with what’s going on in his personal life, it would be best if Romeo didn’t sit the exams at the end of the year.”

“Right,” Charlie was kind of taken aback to why Bianca was telling her this. “And you’ve told Romeo he’s failed? He hasn’t mentioned anything to us.”

“He’s getting his results on Monday, so tomorrow,” Bianca answered. “We’re not asking him to never sit the exams, he’s more than welcome to come back to Year 12 next year when things have hopefully settled down with Rubes and she’s getting back to full health.”

“Well I’m sure that Romeo will be glad of the offer but I think he wants to prove he can still do this and finish school when he is supposed to with the rest of his class.”

“And I can understand that,” Bianca replied. “But Gina, the other teachers and I also know he’s had a tough year with Rubes and if he wanted to back out this year and sit it next year we’ll be able to arrange for that to happen,” Bianca exhaled before tentatively talking again. “And you know he has failed all his trials so maybe that shows that he can’t actually still do it this year.”

“Maybe not,” Charlie answered. “But this is for Romeo to decide and I’m not actually sure why you are telling me.”

“He’s living with you,” Bianca answered. “He may be 18, but he’s still in school and right now you are kind of his guardian, so we thought you could maybe talk with him, let him know it’s okay to give up this year as he does have something very important to worry about,” Bianca said. “And he can come back next year and finish school with April, Dex, Xav, and most of his friends are actually in year 11 right now anyways.”

“Well I’ll talk to him,” Charlie exhaled. “But if he wants to try it I’m not going to change his mind. This HSC would be something else to keep him going, so he’s not just sitting worry over Ruby all the time.”

“I know it would be,” Bianca answered. “I’m just letting you know what we at the school think would be best for him.”

“Right, so do you want me to tell him he’s failed it all or wait until tomorrow when he’s found out at school?” Charlie questioned.

“We’ll tell him at school tomorrow first and then tomorrow night maybe you could talk to him.”

“Sure,” Charlie answered. “But like I say, I’m going to go along with whatever Romeo wants to do.”

“Okay,” Bianca said. “Well thanks for listening. I’ll let you get on,” Bianca said before looking down to her son. “Can you wave by-bye?”

“Bye.” Charlie just made out Rocco’s little voice as he waved his little hand at her.

“Bye.” Charlie smiled before walking into the Surf Club and going up the stairs to get the dinner.

Sorry about this one, it's not much, but I guess just a little filler till I move things on in the next one. Thanks for all the comments and support up till now. :):wub:

Chapter 39

Ruby, Romeo and Charlie were sitting around the dinner table eating the pizza, Ruby and Romeo taking a break from decorating the baby’s room. “So, did you actually get any paint on the walls?” Charlie questioned as she looked to Ruby and Romeo and noticed they quite a lot of paint on themselves.

“Yes, mother,” Ruby answered. “We got a lot done actually.”

“Lilac huh,” Charlie raised her eyebrows. “Thought I wasn’t allowed to know what colour the room was? Should have maybe changed your clothes if you wanted that to happen eh?”

“Well maybe this is just a red herring and the room is actually.....orange.” Romeo answered.

“I hope to God you haven’t painted my baby’s room orange.” Charlie widened her eyes at the thought.

“What’s wrong with an orange room?” Ruby questioned as she took another piece of pizza from the box. “It’ll be nice when it’s finished, you wait and see.”

“Hmm,” Charlie exhaled before taking a drink of her water. “Anyways missus I believe that you still have something of mines. It’s little, plastic, got my name on it.”

“Hmm, I don’t know what you are talking about,” Ruby shook her head. “I don’t have anything of yours.”

“Ruby.”

“It’s on your bedside table,” Ruby exhaled. “Thanks so much for treating us to a lovely lunch at Sergios though.” Ruby grinned.

“Jeez Rubes,” Charlie widened her eyes. “I don’t mind buying your guys lunch but did you really need to go to Sergios? That’s like the world’s most expensive restaurant.”

“Hardly,” Ruby rolled her eyes. “But it was nice thanks.”

“So you’ve probably already filled up on pizza today then?” Charlie questioned. “And here’s me thinking I was bringing you a nice treat for all your hard work in the baby’s room.”

“We had pasta,” Romeo answered. “So this is very welcome,” Romeo said as he picked up another slice. “So what did you do all afternoon since we chucked you out of the house?”

“Sat in the diner, spend a lot of my time in the restroom there actually,” Charlie gave a little laugh. “The joys of being pregnant.”

“Maybe you should have hung out at Angelo’s,” Ruby said. “Was he there when you were getting the pizzas?”

“No,” Charlie shook her head, knowing who Ruby was referring to. “Unless he was in the office or the kitchen or something I guess he wasn’t working.”

“That’s a shame,” Ruby answered. “You guys are going to get your acts together soon, right?” Ruby questioned.

“Rubes,” Charlie shook her head. “No, he doesn’t want to be with me. We’ve been through this.”

“Well I disagree, actually and I seriously wish you’d just get it on again,” Ruby sighed. “Maybe I just need to knock your heads together or something.”

“Ruby, I don’t want you meddling,” Charlie exhaled. “He only wants to be friends with me. He can’t accept this baby so we’re done and we’re not discussing this again okay.”

“But mum -”

“But nothing Rubes,” Charlie exhaled, frustration growing in her. “Why are you so concerned about me anyways?”

“I just want you to be happy,” Ruby answered. “And you were with Brax.”

“Yes Ruby we were,” Charlie raised her voice. “That’s past tense, were. Stop with this....okay, just stop.” Charlie stood up from the table and left the kitchen, running up the stairs to her bedroom.

“Should I -”

“No,” Romeo shook his head. “Don’t say anything else. Just leave her for a while. Apologise later,” Ruby nodded lightly as she took a drink of her soda. “Let’s finish this pizza then go do some more of the bedroom yeah?”

“Yeah.” Ruby sighed as she took another bite of her pizza.

“Hey babe how was school?” Ruby questioned as Romeo walked into the house.

“Hmm,” Romeo threw his school bag down on the floor and he pulled his tie off. “Fine.”

“That’s all you’re telling me?” Ruby questioned. “You didn’t get any important results today?”

“Oh yeah, I did fine,” Romeo said as Charlie glanced at him. “Just need to worry about the real thing now.”

“Aww I’m proud of you,” Ruby smiled as she stood on her tiptoes and placed a soft kiss on his lips. “You want to finish the baby’s room?” Ruby asked.

“Sure.” Romeo answered.

“Why don’t you go up and get everything ready and Romeo will bring up some drinks and biscuits?” Charlie said.

“Yeah okay,” Ruby nodded. “But you stay away from the room.” Ruby said as she pointed to her mother.

“I will,” Charlie nodded as Ruby ran off up the stairs. “So, how’d the exam’s really go?”

“That’s obvious?” Romeo exhaled.

“It’s not that big a deal,” Charlie exhaled. “They’re just your trials.”

“I didn’t even pass one, Charlie,” Romeo sighed. “Not even maths and normally I have no problems with that.”

“It’s not as if you haven’t had other things on your mind,” Charlie answered. “And they’re only your trials. It doesn’t mean that you will fail the real thing too.”

Romeo gave a sort of snigger. “Bianca, Mrs Palmer and all the other teachers seems to think it does,” Romeo sighed. “Want me to take the rest of the year off and come back next year after Rubes has had the transplant and will be getting back to normal health.”

“Well would that be such a bad thing?” Charlie questioned. “So, you pass a year later than you should. Maybe it is for the best,” Charlie exhaled. “You can keep your focus on the HSC. I know it must be hard for you right now at School. You’re bound to worry about your girlfriend.”

“So you think it’s what I should do to?” Romeo asked. “You don’t have much faith in me either?”

“Romeo I’ll support you in whatever you chose,” Charlie answered. “If you want to stay in school then that’s fine, it’s your choice and I’ll help you the best I can to revise and pass all your exams, but you know if you want to back out this year then.....it’s understandable.”

“I dunno, I just.....” Romeo exhaled as he rubbed his forehead. “I wanted to do this for Rubes,” Romeo answered. “She’s not in school anymore and I wanted too....” Romeo trailed off. “Maybe it is for the best. And I can be there more for Rubes. She’ll be getting her transplant around the time of the exams and I’d want to be there for Ruby.”

“That’s understandable,” Charlie gave a weak smile as she took a few steps forward and rubbed his arm. “Now, let’s gets these biscuits and drinks ready and you can finish the room with Rubes, yeah?”

“Sure.” Romeo smiled as he followed Charlie through to the kitchen.

Thank you beebee, Sarah, Kristen, pembie, Red Ranger 1, Zoe and JosieTash for the comments. I hope you like this next one....

This chapter is set 6 weeks later.

Chapter 40

Ruby, Romeo and Charlie were at the beach, enjoying a picnic together. Ruby’s health had continued to deteriorate and although they were all trying to keep a brave face, Charlie and Romeo were both now fearing the worst was about to happen, although they didn’t dare mention it in front of Ruby. The baby’s due date was only six weeks away they just had to hope that Ruby would be strong enough to make it through till then. “Everyone’s so quiet,” Ruby said. “Not really the fun picnic I had in mind.”

“Sorry,” Charlie apologised to her daughter. “I’m just worried about what Sid is going to tell us when we go to the hospital later.”

“He’ll most likely give me more of those injections I’ve been taking,” Ruby answered. “They keep boosting me to be strong enough and it’s only 6 more weeks, maybe even earlier.”

“Yeah, maybe,” Charlie rubbed her stomach as she spoke. “You were two weeks early.”

“See, might only be a month then,” Ruby smiled as she leaned forward and rubbed Charlie’s stomach. “And your room is awesome so you have to come out and see it soon, okay.”

The baby responded with some kicks and Ruby smiled. “It’s only awesome because I helped,” Romeo teased his girlfriend. “You know, Mr awesome himself.”

“Haha,” Ruby laughed. “You’re only awesome because of me. Without me you’d still be a loser.”

“Ruby Buckton,” Romeo gasped mocking offence. “I ooze of awesomeness.”

Charlie laughed at the teens banter. “Well I’m not going to get involved in your little ‘who’s more awesome’ spat but I do agree that the nursery is lovely.” Charlie ran her hand over her stomach once again as she spoke.

“Mum,” Ruby gasped. “You’re supposed to say you daughter is the most awesome.”

“Of course dear, sorry.” Charlie exhaled as she looked to her daughter who was grinning cheekily at her boyfriend. In that moment, with the sun shining around her, she looked so happy, so full of life. Charlie wished more than anything that everything would turn out to be okay in the end, and thought that things often had to get really bad before they could get better and hoped that was the case with her daughter.

“Alright?” Charlie looked up to see Brax, Darcy and Rocco looking down on them.

“Hey Brax.” Ruby smiled enthusiastically. “We’re having a picnic; you guys are welcome to join us.”

“I’m sure he’s busy.” Charlie said as she glared at her daughter.

“No, he’s not busy,” Darcy shook her head as Rocco let go of her hand and sat down in the sand and picked some up, clenching his fist together as the sand squeezed from his hand. “Well not really. He’s looking after me and Rocco today.”

“Shouldn’t you be in school?” Romeo questioned.

“Someone complained of a sore head this morning and daddy is on the soft so much that he let her stay off school.” Brax rolled his eyes as he thought about his brother.

“So where is Heath?” Charlie questioned. “I figure Bianca is working but as far as I was aware Heath’s never had a job. Or at least a legal one.”

Darcy screwed her face up and was about to talk before Brax spoke over her. “I’ve took him on in the restaurant,” Brax answered. “Been there are a few weeks now actually. If you’d come around for more pizza maybe you would have known.”

“The baby started to dislike pizza,” Charlie said thinking up an excuse. Truth being she just didn’t like running into Brax and trying to be ‘just friends’.

“Ahh.” Rocco said as he crawled in the sand over to Charlie and went to hand her a clump of the sand.

“Thank you very much.” Charlie smiled down at the boy as he dropped the sand down into her hand.

“Bax up,” Rocco held his hands up to go to his uncle. “Up Bax up,” Rocco pushed his hands against Charlie’s leg so he was standing, before waving his arms up at his uncle. “Bax.” Rocco whined.

“Oh Rocco you are very demanding.” Brax said as he picked his nephew up.

“Seem so,” Romeo laughed. “Promise me you won’t let our kiddies be like that?” Romeo said as he looked to Ruby.

“You can be in charge of that,” Ruby replied. “And the stinky nappies.” Ruby screwed her face up.

“Are you having a baby?” Darcy questioned.

“Hopefully we do one day,” Ruby replied. “Little Andrew and Amelia.”

“Cool,” Darcy smiled. “Ruby can you take me surfing yet? It’s been ages and you still haven’t.”

“That’s because she is still sick,” Brax answered on her behalf. “But when she is better you go to Ruby because she is the best chick surfer in the town.”

“Really?” Darcy’s eyes lit up as she looked up to her uncle.

“Oh yeah,” Romeo nodded. “Learned from the best she did.”

“Did my dad teach you then?” Darcy questioned. “Because he is the best.”

Ruby laughed lightly. “No, Romeo here taught me and he thinks he is the best.”

“Hmm.” Darcy looked unsure. “I think it’s dad then uncle Brax.”

“I think uncle Brax is better than dad,” Brax said. “Really he is.”

“Hmm,” Darcy scratched the side of her head. “Did you see them surfing Charlie?”

“You’re uncle Brax yeah,” Charlie answered. “I don’t really know anything about surfing but as far as I am aware he’s pretty good at it,” Brax smiled at Charlie giving her compliment. “Anyways, I’m sure you’ve got places to be and we need to get Ruby to the hospital so we’ll maybe see you around soon okay.”

“Okay, bye.” Darcy waved before she skipped off down the beach.

“Bye.” Brax smiled down at them before he walked off after his niece.

“Well that was a perfect opportunity wasted.” Ruby exhaled looking most annoyed with her mother.

“Yeah and I told you 6 weeks ago to give this up, so please do that,” Charlie said as she started to collect all the things together to put back in the picnic basket. “And it’s not like I lied,” Charlie exhaled. “We do need to get you to the hospital for more tests.”

“I know I know.” Ruby sighed as she stood up and Romeo and Charlie could hear in her voice that she was losing the energy to fight this much longer.

It had been 3 days since they went to the hospital. Sid had been concerned for Ruby’s health and had wanted her to stay there still further notice. The results of the tests weren’t great. Simply that Ruby was deteriorating more and more each day and Sid wasn’t sure how much longer Ruby would live for without the transplant. He had more results in his hand but was dreading going into the room to tell Charlie, Ruby and Romeo his latest discovery. He loved being a doctor but this part of the job was something that he hated doing, especially when it was people he was friends with, someone who was friends with his son. He took a deep breath before he knocked lightly on the door before walking in, seeing an exhausted looking Ruby lying in the bed as Charlie and Romeo sat on the chairs talking with her. “Hi.” Sid spoke quietly.

“How are the results this time?” Romeo got straight to the point. “The IV has made her stronger, right?”

“I’m afraid not,” Sid shook his head. “Look, sometimes we can try everything we can but it’s just not enough.”

“What are saying?” Charlie stood up from the chair as immediate panic hit her for what she was about to hear.

“I’m saying that there’s nothing else we can do for Ruby.” Sid took a deep breath as he saw Charlie and Romeo’s eyes welling up, their noses flaring slightly as they were about to cry.

“Of course there must be,” Romeo raised his voice as he stood up from the chair. “What about the injections she got last month?” Romeo questioned. “You can surely give her more of them.”

“They’re not going to work anymore.” Sid shook his head as he looked to Ruby, who appeared frozen in the bed, to shocked to talk, to shocked to react.

“You don’t know that unless you try,” Charlie said. “Please Sid please try to save my baby.” Charlie let a tear escape her eye as she looked down to Ruby who looked blankly back at her mother.

“If there was anything else I could do I would do it,” Sid replied. “But unfortunately we are out of options.”

“You can’t be otherwise she would be okay,” Romeo raised his voice as he pointed to the bed. “So you will think of something, there has to be something. Can’t you check the register again?”

“We regularly check the register,” Sid answered. “We don’t give up on a patient unless absolute necessary and unfortunately for Ruby it’s came to that point.”

Charlie ran her hand over her stomach as she looked at her daughter. “Induce me.” Charlie said as she looked up to Sid.

“I’m sorry?” Sid questioned.

“Induce me now,” Charlie replied. “The whole point in me having this baby was to save Ruby and if Ruby isn’t going to make it then what the hell was the point in this.” Charlie yelled as she hit her hand against her stomach.

“I’m sorry,” Sid shook his head. “But I can’t induce you.”

“What do you mean you can’t?” Charlie questioned. “I want to be induced now so you will.”

“Charlie I can’t put risk to your unborn child.” Sid exhaled.

“What about Ruby?” Charlie yelled. “If you don’t induce me now then she’ll die.” Charlie’s voice broke as she spoke the last part, tears streaming down her face. Romeo exhaled as he stepped forward and took hold of her hand squeezing it in comfort as he tried to stay strong for Charlie’s sake but inside he wanted to yell and scream out his hurt and pain at the thought of losing Ruby.

“Mum.” Ruby croaked as she too sounded like she was going to cry, but she wasn’t loud enough it seemed as they kept on talking.

“I’m sorry and I hate this situation, I really do, but inducing you 6 weeks early is not good for that baby and I can’t risk it.” Sid exhaled, he did feel for Charlie and hated that he was denying her this but he had to do his job.

“So you’re happy enough to risk Ruby’s life but not the life of my unborn baby?” Charlie shouted. “That doesn’t make sense.”

“The baby has to be a full term to allow for and ensure enough healthy stem cells,” Sid exhaled. “I’m sorry that it’s too early for that happen.”

“Mum.” Ruby croaked once again.

“It might be okay now though. It’s a risk you need to take. Because without Rubes....I.....do this, you have to do this.” Charlie yelled.

“Mum, stop, just stop,” Ruby used all the strength she could to muster up an almost shout allowing Charlie, Romeo and Sid to face her. “You’ve tried all you can and I appreciate that, I really do, but it’s my time,” Ruby gave a gentle nod of her head. “I’m ready. I’m ready to go. I’ve had enough of fighting this and I’m ready. You have to accept it’s my time to go.”

“I can’t,” Charlie shook her head as she wiped the tears from her face. “Ruby I can’t. I can’t lose you.”

“Come...come here,” Ruby held her hand out and Charlie walked over to her and took a hold of her hand. “It’ll be okay,” Ruby spoke quietly. “You have her to help you through.” Ruby put her other hand onto Charlie stomach as she felt her baby sister kicking. “Now you may not respect hearing it from Sid, but there’s nothing more anyone can do and I’m sick of fighting this, I’m ready mum, I’m ready to go,” Charlie broke down into tears as she knelt down and hid her head against her daughter’s body. “How long?” Ruby questioned as she looked up to Sid. “How long do I have left?”

“Two weeks at most.” Sid answered.

“Then I’d appreciate being left with my mum and Romeo,” Ruby cleared away a lump from her throat and Sid gave her a gentle nod and left the room. “Babe,” Ruby made a head gesture and Romeo walked to the other side of her. He looked down to her and exhaled lightly before placing a soft kiss on her lips before he too broke down into tears.

Archived