A Mothers Love

Guest Danni02

Thank you Sarah, beebee, Freakie42, Kristen, Red Ranger 1 and Spotd1 for the comments. Hope this one is okay, I'm not so sure...

Chapter 21

Bianca stood and stared at her friend before looking to Leah. “I -”

“She lost a pair of earrings that you borrowed her.” Leah spoke over Bianca. Bianca looked to her friend and gave her a thankful smile.

“What?” Charlie questioned. “What earrings have I ever given you?”

“Eh, the silver hoops,” Bianca answered. “I borrowed them a few months back.” Bianca pursed her lips together as she put one hand onto the buggy, rocking it slightly.

“I don’t even remember owning a pair of silver hoops,” Charlie shook her head. “So, it’s fine. Don’t worry about it,” Charlie exhaled lightly as she rubbed the back of her head. “I eh...I’m glad I bumped into you because I wanted to ask you if you’d heard from April?” Charlie questioned. “Ruby’s not been in touch with me yet and I’m kinda worried as she promised she would do.”

“Eh no, she’s not,” Bianca shook her head and as she looked to her friend the guilt started to creep into her. She knew Charlie would be devastated if she found out that she and Brax had slept together. “But I’m sure they’ll be fine.”

“She probably just doesn’t have a signal,” Leah said. “I’m sure she’d call you if she could.”

“I don’t know,” Charlie shook her head. “Maybe I shouldn’t have let her go.” Charlie’s voice sounded like she was going to cry.

“Hey Charlie,” Leah stepped out from behind the counter and stepped in-between Bianca and Charlie, stopping Bianca from being able to comfort her. “She’ll be fine. Romeo’s not going to let anything happen to her.”

“Yeah you’re probably right,” Charlie nodded. “But, if you do hear from her can you please let me know?”

“Sure.” Bianca nodded.

Charlie exhaled lightly as she looked across the diner and saw Sid sitting having breakfast with Roo and Alf. “I’m just going to go talk to Sid. Maybe Dexter has let him know they’re okay.” Charlie said, worry for her daughter still audible in her voice, before she walked down the diner.

“Thank you.” Bianca smiled as she touched Leah’s arm.

“Don’t,” Leah shrugged her off as she walked back around the counter. “I didn’t do this for you. I am not going to let her find this out like this,” Leah spat. “She doesn’t deserve to hear this in a diner full of people. You will go and tell her at her house.”

“Leah please don’t make me do this,” Bianca shook her head. “She’s going through enough.”

“You and or Brax are going to tell her,” Leah seethed. “Now I have work to do so get out of my diner.”

“I haven’t paid for the latte yet.” Bianca said as she pointed down to her coffee.

“Take the coffee and go.” Leah spat before she walked through to the kitchen. Bianca exhaled as she picked up the coffee and looked down to the buggy to her son.

“Oh baby,” Bianca bent down and rubbed her son’s cheek softly. “You have to tell mummy what to do. What should she do?” Rocco let out some babbles and Bianca exhaled lightly before she stood up and looked up to Charlie who was still talking to Sid. She nodded her head lightly as she knew exactly what she needed to do.

Leah walked out of the diner as she had finished her shift for the day, and saw Brax sitting down at the beach. She took a deep breath before walking down to see him. “Hey.” Leah spoke quietly as she sat down next to him.

“Leah.” Brax cleared his throat and as Leah looked to him it had been clear he’d been crying.

“How’s things going?” Leah questioned.

“Fantastic,” Brax spoke with a sarcastic tone. “I guess you’ll have heard what’s happened with me and Charlie?”

“Yeah, she was devastated,” Leah answered. “How could you leave her? I thought you loved her, I thought -”

“I love her,” Brax answered. “Of course I love her. She’s everything to me but this stuff with Ruby....” Brax shook his head. “I can’t support her having his baby.”

“You know this shouldn’t be about you,” Leah answered. “It’s about Ruby right now and what she can do to save her.”

Brax sighed lightly as he rubbed his forehead. “You know what, Leah, this really doesn’t have anything to do with you so just leave me alone.”

“Charlie is one of my best friends and I love her. When she is crying and upset and asking me to talk to you about this I think it really does become something to do with me.” Leah replied.

“She asked you to talk to me?” Brax questioned. “When?”

“Yesterday,” Leah replied. “I came around to Bianca’s last night as Charlie was sure you’d be staying there but I found you and Bianca were a bit busy to talk.” Leah said as she raised her eyebrows at him.

“Oh God,” Brax looked worried that his secret was now out. “You didn’t tell her did you?” Brax questioned. “It was just a stupid one-night thing, we both said so.”

“Yeah that’s what Bianca said too,” Leah answered. “And no, I haven’t told Charlie, but I expect she’ll ask me how it went with you and I’m not about to start lying to her.”

“Well just say you didn’t talk to me, because that wouldn’t be a lie, would it?” Brax answered. “Or we’ll talk now.”

“No no we won’t,” Leah shook her head. “You will go and talk to Charlie and tell her what you did because she deserves to know this and it’s better coming from you or Bianca than me.”

“I can’t tell her,” Brax shook his head. “Me and Bianca agreed it’s best to stay quiet, please Leah, don’t put any more hurt onto Charlie.”

“These kind of things always come out,” Leah said. “You’re best to be honest with her now.”

“But it’s only going to hurt her and I’ve already put her though enough. Please don’t make me tell her. I’m protecting her by not telling her.”

“No, you and Bianca will be lying to her,” Leah raised her voice. “Brax do the decent thing and let her know.”

“You know it was a mistake,” Brax sniffed back. “We just....I don’t know I guess we just let our emotions get the better of us. I was upset over having to end things with Charlie and Bianca’s been upset over Heath and....we both needed a bit of comfort.”

“You don’t need to justify yourself to me,” Leah shook her head. “But I hope you were at least sensible about it. Surely you can’t be stupid enough to sleep with your brother’s girlfriend and not use protection.”

“I eh,” Brax picked up a handful of sand in his hand before letting it fall. “I didn’t use.....I don’t know if she is on the pill or whatever but we didn’t use a condom.”

“Of course not,” Leah clicked her tongue. “If you were stupid enough to sleep together why the hell would you think about being safe?”

“I -”

“I don’t want to hear it, Brax,” Leah shook her head as she stood up from the beach. “Just go and tell her what you’ve done.” Leah spat before she walked away, leaving Brax to think about what he did. He knew keeping it from Charlie would probably turn back on him at one point and knew he didn’t really have a choice but to tell her.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks everyone. :wub:

Chapter 22

Brax took a deep breath before knocking on the door. He’d went back to Bianca’s place and spoke with her again, and they both decided that it was probably for the best to tell Charlie, and given that Leah was adamant that they told her anyways, they didn’t really feel that they’d be left with much choice, so Brax had said that he’d go and do it. “Brax,” Charlie sounded surprised to see him. She stared at him and already felt awkward and he hadn’t even entered the house yet. “I eh....I guess you want the rest of your things?”

“No,” Brax shook his head and Charlie looked to him confused. “Well yeah, but that’s not really why I am here.”

“Oh, eh come in.” Charlie spoke quietly as she opened the door further allowing Brax to walk into the house.

“So, how have you been?” Brax asked as he walked into the house.

“I can’t get in touch with my sick daughter and my boyfriend left me yesterday because I’m doing whatever I can to save her,” Charlie answered dryly. “So how do you think?”

Brax exhaled lightly as he bowed his head down. He didn’t like that he had to split up with Charlie and now he’d seen her, he hated even more that he’d slept with her best friend. “I’m sorry,” Brax spoke softly as he looked back up to her. “It was just a mistake Charlie, we eh....we didn’t mean to hurt you. I am so sorry,” Brax sniffed back as he felt a stinging in his eyes. “We are so sorry.”

“What are you talking about?” Charlie scrunched her face up, feeling worried for what he was about to say. “Why do you keep apologising and what’s with this we?”

“Bianca,” Brax answered. “Me and Bianca, last night we eh....”

Brax looked to Charlie and could see by the look on her face that she’d figured it out. “You slept with her?” Charlie felt like her heart was being ripped from her body. Although Brax leaving her hurt, this really hurt. “You and my best friend a whole 5 minutes after you broke up with me?”

“Well it was a bit longer than 5 minutes.” Brax said quietly.

“Brax,” Charlie yelled furiously as she threw her fists out in front of her and banged them hard against his chest. “What was it then?” Charlie spat. “10 hours? 11?” Charlie questioned. “It was still the same day. The same day that you broke up with me you slept with my best friend.”

“It was just a stupid mistake,” Brax took Charlie’s hands into his and held them anyway from him, stopping her hitting him again. “It was -”

“Did I not mean anything to you?” Charlie pulled her hands from Brax’s grasp and leaned them on top of the couch as she exhaled. “Did these last 15 months mean a lot more to me that it did you?”

“Of course not,” Brax shook his head. “I love you so much, I swear I do.”

“Then how could you sleep with her so easily?” Charlie questioned.

“It just happened,” Brax answered. “We needed comfort and we were there for each other.”

Charlie shook her head as she wiped her hand over her eyes, pushing back tears. “Why are you even telling me this?” Charlie questioned. “You didn’t really cheat on me so why are you just hurting me more than you already have?”

“These things always come out,” Brax answered. “We thought it would be best if you hear it now from me and not further down the line from someone else.”

“And I’m supposed to be thankful for that, right?” Charlie gave a laugh of disbelief. “The fact that my best friend slept with you....the love...” Charlie trailed off as she once again wiped her eyes. “She knew what you meant to me, she knew and she just, she slept with you.” Charlie banged her hand off the back of the couch in anger. “Just get the rest of your stuff and get out.”

“Charlie -”

“Just get the rest of your things and leave.” Charlie yelled angrily up at him and Brax stood there watching her walking over to the door.

“Where are you going?” Brax questioned as Charlie opened the door.

“Going to find my so called best friend.” Charlie replied.

“Charlie, don’t.” Brax stepped forward took hold of her arm, trying to stop her from going, but Charlie shrugged herself away from him. “Just leave it.”

“I deserve to give her a piece of my mind,” Charlie snapped. “And if I don’t do it now I’ll just do it another time, so just let me go then she’ll be out of my life for good and quite frankly I’m not going to give her anything she doesn’t deserve,” Charlie said as she looked crossly up at him. “Now get the rest of your things and then stay out of my life.” Charlie spat before she left the house in search for Bianca.

Ruby was sitting on the verge at the lake, watching as Romeo, Dex and April mucked about in the water. She had been in with them, but tired quickly, so was out having a rest. “Thought I’d come keep you company for a bit.” April smiled as she wrapped the towel around her and sat down next to her friend.

“You don’t need too,” Ruby shook her head. “You can go back in if you want.”

“No it’s cool,” April said. “So are you enjoying being away for a little break?”

“I’m trying,” Ruby answered. “But I really want to call my mum and I hate that we can’t find signal.”

“Hey, it’s okay,” April rubbed Ruby’s back. “Just try not to think about it and enjoy yourself. You’re supposed to be having fun and enjoying yourself so don’t stress out about it. It’s not worth stressing out over.”

“But I promised her,” Ruby said. “She’ll be worried, I know she will be and I want to talk to her.”

“Well do you want to go home?” April questioned. “Romeo won’t mind if you do, he’ll drive home with you today.”

“I don’t want to spoil his fun,” Ruby shook her head. “He has to put up with a lot too, so this is his chance to have a stress free few days.”

“I know but he still isn’t going to mind.” April answered.

“Yeah well, I’m still not going to do that to him,” Ruby answered. “So anyways, Miss April, you mentioned last week that you and Dex were going to be moving up a step in your relationship, so did you do the deed?” Ruby raised her eyebrows cheekily.

April gave a little laugh as she felt herself going red in embarrassment. “We did.” April answered.

“Oooh and?” Ruby nudged her friends arm. “I shared all the goss with Romeo; it’s your turn lady.”

“It was....good,” April answered. “But it wasn’t like in the movies. You know when everything is amazing and perfect and just what they thought it would be,” April said. “It was....awkward and kind of painful.”

“Well for a woman the first time can be,” Ruby answered. “And I totally know what you mean about the way they make it out to be in the movies,” Ruby gave a little laugh. “But as you get to know each other’s bodies it gets better.”

“I know,” April nodded. “We’ve done it a few times and it’s getting eh....wow.” April gave an embarrassed laugh. “Actually Bianca is annoyed cos I’ve pretty much stayed over at Dexter’s every night since. Not that we’re like animals and do it every night, but I just like waking up next to him.”

“Yeah I know what you mean,” Ruby smiled. “I love waking up with Romeo by my side.”

April and Ruby smiled as they looked out to the water where they’re boyfriends were still mucking around. “We haven’t done too badly me and you,” April exhaled. “Some pretty hot looking guys out there.”

“Yeah.” Ruby replied as she looked to her boyfriend. She loved him so much more for sticking by her and knew she was lucky to have him in her life.

Thank you Sarah, JosieTash, beebee, Laura, Kristen, RoRo90, Spotd1 and Freakie42 for the comments. :wub: Hope this one is okay...

Chapter 23

After going around to her house and finding she was out, Charlie checked the Surf Club, before finding Bianca sitting in the diner having some dinner with Irene. She took a deep breath before she marched over to the table and slapped Bianca hard in the face. “Charlie.” Irene looked shocked as Bianca stood up as she rubbed her cheek.

“No it’s fine,” Bianca spoke quietly as she looked from Irene to Charlie, seeing the hatred and anger on her face. “I deserved it.”

“What could you possibly have done to have deserved that?” Irene questioned.

“You going to tell her or will I?” Charlie questioned. “How could you Bianca? You were supposed to be my best friend. My best friend and you sleep with him the day he broke up with me,” Charlie tried her best to hold back more tears at their betrayal as she spoke. “The same day.” Charlie emphasised.

“I’m sorry,” Bianca heard the shocked gasp coming from Irene. “It was just an accident.”

“An accident?” Charlie laughed. “How can it be an accident? You can’t have sex by accident.” Charlie yelled.

“A mistake then. It was just a stupid mistake that we both regret happened,” Bianca said. “I think right now we both needed a bit comforting and -”

“Do not try to justify yourself,” Charlie shouted. “There are no excuses for what you did. You were bound to have known there’d be so many reasons why it wouldn’t be a good idea but not one of you was sensible enough to stop it.”

“I’m sorry.” Bianca bowed her head down sadly, knowing she did the wrong thing.

“Look, I don’t think this is the best place to talk about this,” Irene said, trying to step in as she noticed customers from the diner looking in their direction. “Why don’t you take this back to -”

“Irene, I am doing this here and now,” Charlie spat as she looked to her. “I hate you Bianca, because you know. You know how much I love him and how I’ve never loved anyone like I love him. How I let myself completly trust him and let myself think about us getting married and having children one day. I didn’t do that with Angelo, I freaked out so much over the whole moving in together thing, but with Brax, it was never scary. It was him, he was the one and now we can never be together.” Charlie sniffed back as she wiped a tear from her eye.

“Well let’s not forget this only happened because you are going to have a baby with Grant,” Bianca retorted. “Don’t try to blame anyone else but yourself for this.”

“Don’t you dare not take any blame for this,” Charlie shook her head. “Yeah maybe it was part my fault that Brax ended things with me but you are to blame for sleeping with him.”

Bianca exhaled as she looked down. “Well like I said it was just as mistake. And anyways Brax and you were over so it’s not like we did anything too wrong.”

“You have to be kidding me?” Charlie yelled. “You have a child with his brother, you don’t know what you’re relationship status is with him right now, you were supposed to be my best friend and he was my ex of not even a day. Do I have to continue?” Charlie questioned. “Or maybe you want to go find Casey and sleep with him too. You know, make it all 3 of the Braxton brothers that you’ve bedded,” Charlie spat. “Obviously you won’t find it a problem considering you were able to sleep with Brax easily enough.”

“You did what?” Bianca and Charlie turned around to see Heath and Darcy standing in the door way of the diner. Bianca looked shocked to see him, and Heath looked equally as shocked at what Charlie had said. “Well is what she said true?”

“I’m sorry,” Bianca sniffed back as she looked to Heath. Heath shook his head before he turned and walked away from the diner. “Heath.” Bianca shouted as she ran after him.

“Dad.” Darcy shouted as she went to run out after him but Irene ran forward and stopped her.

“Leave them to talk,” Irene said before looking up to Charlie and shook her head disapprovingly. “I think that someone over there in their buggy has missed his big sister very much and would like some cuddles.”

“Rocco.” Darcy’s eyes lit up as she ran over to the buggy, and unstrapped him before lifting him out.

“Look,” Irene exhaled as she looked up to Charlie. “I’m not excusing what Bianca and Brax have done and I certainly don’t condone it, but it looks like you’ve got your own back by potentially ruining her family leaving these little ones with separated parents.”

“How did I know Heath was going to turn up?” Charlie questioned. “And if anyone’s ruined her family it was her.” Charlie said before walking out of the diner and running home, both upset and glad to find Brax was no longer there.

Romeo walked into the tent and smiled as he saw Ruby laying the foetal position, his thin blanket half on her body, giving her a little warmth. He smiled again as he saw her eyes fluttering, and knew she was having a dream. He lay down in the tent next to her and gently put his arm around her. Ruby let out a little groan as she moved her hand up and took a hold of Romeo’s. “Sorry, did I wake you?” Romeo questioned.

“It’s okay,” Ruby whispered, her eyes still closed. “I won’t sleep tonight if I sleep all day anyways.”

“A little nap is fine.” Romeo answered as Ruby turned on her side to face him.

“How was cricket?” Ruby questioned. “Did you manage to play with just the 3 of you?”

“Yeah we figured something out,” Romeo answered and Ruby smiled as she opened her eyes. “Were you having a dream?”

“Yeah,” Ruby smiled. “We were in Hawaii with our children.”

“We have children?” Romeo questioned and Ruby gave a little nod.

“In this dream we had 4 girls,” Ruby gave a little laugh. “I think the middle two were twins. You were teaching the oldest one how to surf, as me, the twins and the little one were making sandcastles.”

“Sounds good to me,” Romeo smiled. “But four girls? That’s going to give me grey hair very early.”

Ruby laughed lightly. “Well I hope that’s just in dream world,” Ruby exhaled. “I only want two children.”

“Me too,” Romeo gently rubbed the side of Ruby’s head over and over. “One of each would be nice.” Romeo said and Ruby nodded in agreement.

“The boy first, hopefully,” Ruby answered. “So then he can be all protective of his baby sister.”

“Yeah,” Romeo answered. “Although I’m sure daddy here will be very protective if he gets a daughter.”

“I know you will,” Ruby smiled as she placed a soft kiss on his lips. “So, where are April and Dex?”

“They went for a walk,” Romeo answered. “April said if she gets signal she’ll give your mum a call and let her know you’re okay and we’ve just been having signal trouble.”

“I’d like to be able to do that myself, but I guess April doing it is better than nothing.” Ruby gave a weak smile.

“You know I can take you home if it’s bothering you that much,” Romeo said. “I just thought you were still enjoying this time away.”

“I am and hopefully mum does just thinks we don’t have signal,” Ruby answered. “And besides, I can think of something better for us to do.” Ruby smiled suggestively as she placed a kiss on Romeo’s lips.

“Oh yeah and what’s that?” Romeo questioned.

“Practise making babies.” Ruby whispered before pulling him in for another kiss.

Thanks everyone. :wub: Don't like this one too much....hopefully its okay though.

Chapter 24

Heath stormed into the house that he shared with Bianca and the kids and was surprised to see his bother there, but thought now was as good a time as any to have it out with him. “Heath,” Brax smiled up at him, seemingly not noticing the look of sheer anger on his face. “Nice to see you home.”

“Shut up,” Heath grabbed Brax’s shirt by the collar flung him back so he hit his body off the fridge. “How could you do that to me?” Heath yelled furiously. “You’re my brother. She’s my girl.” Heath spat in his face as he yelled at him. “Give me one good reason why I shouldn’t punch your face in right now?”

“Heath,” Bianca shouted, out of breath, as she walked into the house having chased him all the way from the diner. “Don’t. Please, let’s talk about this.”

Heath sniggered as he let go of his brother before looking to Bianca. “What do you want to say?” Heath questioned as he walked closer to Bianca. “It was just a mistake, it didn’t mean anything, you’re the one I want,” Heath mocked Bianca’s voice as he spoke. “Go on then give me all the cliché’s.”

Bianca bowed her head down sadly. “You left me, Heath, what was I supposed to think?” Bianca questioned. “You just disappeared for two weeks.”

“So that means you get to bed my brother, does it?” Heath questioned. “And you, you’re supposed to be crazy in love with Buckton. How could you sleep with her best mate?”

“I broke up with her yesterday.” Brax answered quietly.

“And you sleep with her the same day?” Heath questioned, most appalled by both Brax and Bianca’s actions. “What the hell did you break up with her for?” Heath scrunched his face up confused. “Before I left you were talking to me about proposing to her.”

“Yeah well things change,” Brax sighed. “She’s going to have a baby with Grant.”

“Gee,” Heath rubbed the back of his head. “But I suppose if it’s going to save her daughter’s life,” Heath said. “How can you be so selfish breaking up with her because of that?”

“Because how am I supposed to be a father to someone else’s child, watch her being pregnant and help her through everything when it’s not even my baby?”

“Have you heard yourself?” Heath questioned. “She is going to have a baby to save the life of her dying daughter and you can’t support that? She could lose her daughter if she doesn’t do this. I didn’t think you were as selfish as that,” Heath shook his head, disgusted at his brother. “It shouldn’t be about you right now, it should be about Ruby,” Brax exhaled lightly as he thought about what his brother said. Maybe he had been selfish in this, after all Charlie was only doing what she could to save the life of her daughter. “Then you were selfish again when you slept with her,” Heath looked from Brax to Bianca when he spoke. “No thought of what it would make Charlie feel like with you being able to sleep with someone else so easily, not thoughts for your brother,” Heath exhaled. “And you, not thoughts for the man you have a baby with, are supposed to love with and want to be with and no thoughts for your best friend who is already going through hell.”

“You left,” Bianca shouted. “What was I supposed to think about how you felt about us?” Bianca questioned. “I didn’t know what you wanted. I didn’t know if you were going to come back.”

“Typical Bianca blaming everyone but herself,” Heath shook his head. “Miss high and mighty Princess Bianca sleeps with someone else but won’t take any blame,” Heath gave a laugh of disbelief.

“Regardless of what I done and what Charlie is going to do, you two and you two only are to blame for this.” Heath walked towards the door, pushing Bianca out of the way.

“Heath please,” Bianca pleaded as she took hold of his arm, stopping him from walking any further. “Let’s talk this over.”

“I have nothing to say to you,” Heath spat, Bianca seeing the same look of hurt and anger in his eyes that she saw in Charlie’s. “Now let me go.” Heath shrugged his arm away before leaving the house.

Charlie was lying in her bed, curled up in the foetal position as she looked down to the picture of her and Brax on her phone as a tear rolled down her cheek. She hovered her hand over the button, before hitting delete and watched as the picture disappeared to be replaced by a picture of her and Bianca. One again, without hesitation this time she deleted the picture, before throwing her phone down on the bed. She was slightly startled as she heard the doorbell ring and thought twice about getting up to answer, but as it rang for a second time, she exhaled lightly and got off the bed as she wiped the tears from her eyes and ran down the stairs, hearing the bell ring for a third time. She opened the door and was surprised to see it was Heath and Darcy standing at the other side, with their bags in their hands. “Heath,” Charlie cleared her throat. “What can I do for you?”

“Can we come in?” Heath questioned and Charlie gave a gentle nod before opening the door further before letting them into the house, surprise still with her. She and Heath were hardly ever close, so she was surprised when he’d come knocking on her door.

“Hey Aunty Charlie, I missed you.” Darcy smiled as she dropped her bag to the floor and wrapped her arms around her in a hug. Charlie smiled lightly as she welcomed the little bit comfort from her.

“Missed you too, Darcy.” Charlie answered as she pulled back.

“Is Ruby home?” Darcy questioned.

“No, she’s gone camping for the weekend.” Charlie told her.

“Hmm, and Uncle Brax isn’t here either is he?” Darcy questioned. “Dad said he was at Bianca’s and that he was a bast -”

“Darcy Callahan,” Heath interrupted. “Do not finish that sentence.”

“Well you said it first.” Darcy said as she glared up at her father.

“Well yes, but I wasn’t aware that you heard me.” Heath exhaled.

“So, not that it’s not nice to see you back but what’s this visit in aid of?” Charlie questioned although she was pretty sure she knew what Heath wanted to talk about.

“What do you think?” Heath said and Charlie gave a gentle nod before they both looked down to Darcy.

“Hey, have you ever been on an iPad before?” Charlie questioned and Darcy nodded as a little smile appeared on her face.

“Yeah, I can work them.”

“Well why don’t you go up to Ruby’s room and her iPad should be in her bedside table and you can have a go on that and leave me and your daddy to talk?”

“Can I dad?” Darcy asked as she looked up to Heath, her eyes all wide in excitement.

“Yeah, go on.” Heath ruffled her hair before Darcy ran off up the stairs.

“So,” Charlie exhaled. “I’m sorry you had to find out about what happened the way you did.” Charlie said as they both took a seat on the couch.

“Doesn’t really matter,” Heath shrugged. “It’s never going to be nice no matter what way you find that out is it?”

“No, I suppose not,” Charlie sighed. “So, did you and Bianca talk?”

“Sort of,” Heath answered. “I don’t really want to listen right now though, I’m just so angry at them.”

“Yeah I know how that feels,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “You think you’ll learn to forgive her?”

“Right now?” Heath shrugged his shoulders. “Well I guess the fact I left for a while won’t really help matters. We have a lot to talk over I guess.”

“Why did you leave?” Charlie asked.

“I got scared.” Heath answered honestly.

“Big tough river boy Heath got scared?” Charlie questioned.

“Yeah,” Heath gave a little laugh. “18 months ago I had no-one else in my life worth worrying about and then I got Bianca, Darcy turned out to be my kid and then her mother died and she was my complete responsibility, then Rocco happened and then one day I just thought to myself I have 3 people who rely on me and want my love and I....I thought I’d screw up and I just......I panicked.”

“Don’t you think it wouldn’t have been a better idea to stay and talk to Bianca?” Charlie questioned.

“Probably, but you know me,” Heath answered. “Sometimes I don’t do the best thing. A bit like Brax leaving you wasn’t the right thing either. I can’t believe how selfish he is being.”

“Yeah, well I guess he has his reasons.” Charlie exhaled.

“Well I think he’s crazy,” Heath said. “Of course you’re going to do whatever you can to save your child.”

“Yeah but he can’t accept it so we would never work.” Charlie shook her head, saddened.

“Maybe because he isn’t a parent he just doesn’t understand,” Heath said. “I know I think differently now I have Darcy and Rocco.” Heath looked to Charlie and saw that she was uncomfortable talking about this. “So, are you actually pregnant yet?”

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “I’m going into the city on Monday though to get the process started.”

“Oh right, well I hope it’s successful for you,” Heath said. “Are you still looking for a match though in case it isn’t successful?”

“Yeah, I guess,” Charlie answered. “But I’ll still probably have the baby even if we do find a match. You know just in case we need to do something else in the future.”

“Right,” Heath gave a nod of understanding. “And I guess most people in the bay would have been tested?”

“Yeah, a lot did,” Charlie answered. “Unfortunately we just didn’t find a match.”

“Well I’ll go to the hospital and get tested,” Heath said and Charlie gave him a thankful smile. “I eh, I wondered if it was okay for me and Darcy to stay here for tonight?” Heath questioned. “I went up to the van park but Roo said all the vans were full but there are people leaving tomorrow so I’ll can get one then, so it would be just for tonight.”

“Eh yeah,” Charlie nodded. “You can have the spare room and Darcy can have Rubes’ room for the night.”

“Thanks,” Heath smiled as he stood up from the couch. “I’ll take our bags up the stairs just now.” Heath said before standing up from the couch and picking up their bags and making his way up the stairs.

Thanks beebee, Red Ranger 1, Kristen, Spotd1, Sarah, pembie and JosieTash for the comments.

Chapter 25

“Hello,” Ruby shouted as she walked into the house, searching for her mother. “Mum.” Ruby looked to the stairs and smiled as she saw Charlie walking down.

“Rubes.” Charlie smiled as Ruby pulled her mother into a hug.

“I’m sorry,” Ruby sounded like she was going to cry. “I’m so sorry I tried to call you I promise you I did, but no one could get signal and -”

“It’s alright.” Charlie pulled back and rubbed Ruby’s arms.

“But you’d have been so worried that something happened because I didn’t call like I promised.” Ruby sniffed back.

“I was,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “But you’re home safe now. A little earlier than expected actually,” Charlie said. “Thought you’d make the most of your time away.”

“I couldn’t when I couldn’t get in touch with you,” Ruby shook her head. “I’m so glad to see you.” Ruby once again leaned against her mother for a hug.

“Hey it’s alright,” Charlie rubbed her daughters back. “Everything’s fine, right?”

“Yeah.” Ruby answered as Romeo walked into the house with Ruby’s bag.

“Hey Romeo,” Charlie smiled as Ruby pulled back from the hug. “How was the weekend?”

“Good,” Romeo answered as he put the bag down at the bottom of the stairs. “Although this one didn’t do much chilling out as she was so worried about being not able to get in touch with you.”

“Yeah, so I’ve been hearing,” Charlie replied. “But I’m glad you had a good time,” Charlie smiled at Romeo. “So, what’s on for you two for the rest of the day?”

“Romeo is going home,” Ruby said as she turned to face him. “Aren’t you?”

“Eh,” Romeo scratched the side of his head. “If you want me too.”

“Yeah,” Ruby nodded. “I want a mother daughter day,” Ruby smiled as she looked up to Charlie. “If you do?”

“Of course,” Charlie answered. “That sounds great.”

“Right well I’ll leave you too it then,” Romeo leaned down and placed a soft kiss on Ruby’s lips. “Cya.” Romeo said before leaving the house.

“So, where’s Brax today?” Ruby questioned as she walked over to the couch and took a seat, with Charlie following after her. “Did you two enjoy your weekend alone?”

“Eh,” Charlie pursed her lips together knowing she needed to tell Ruby now, before she went out and found out from someone else. “Brax left me,” Charlie said quietly as she bowed her head down saddened. “On Friday. He left on Friday.”

“What?” Ruby was in disbelief. “But why? You guys are so in love.”

“Sometimes love is not enough,” Charlie told her. “Unfortunately he just couldn’t accept that I am going to have this baby.”

“So he left you because of me?” Ruby questioned. “It’s my fault you are over.” Charlie shook her head as she saw her daughter welling up. “I’m so sorry.”

“Hey hey it wasn’t your fault,” Charlie said as she moved closer to Ruby and wiped beneath her eye. “Brax is the one who can’t deal with this; he’s the one who made the choice to leave.”

“But you’re doing this because of me,” Ruby answered. “If I wasn’t sick you wouldn’t be going to have Grant’s baby and you and Brax wouldn’t have broken up.”

“I know,” Charlie answered. “But the reality is that you are sick and I am having this baby to help save your life and if Brax can’t understand that then that’s his problem. You are the most important thing in my life and I’m not about to give up the chance of saving you for a boyfriend.”

“Maybe if you talk to him again you could work it all out?” Ruby questioned. She hated to think she was responsible for their relationship breaking up and wanted nothing more that make it right between the two.

“I don’t think so sweetie,” Charlie shook her head, knowing it was more than just the whole baby thing that they had against them now. “But hey,” Charlie sniffed back. “What do you want to do today?”

“I thought Friends DVD’s, junk food and orange soda.” Ruby answered and Charlie smiled lightly.

“I like the sound of that,” Charlie said as she stood up from the couch. “I’ll go get the DVD’s if you want to hunt out some junk food and the drinks.”

“Yeah sounds good.” Ruby answered as she stood to her feet as Charlie walked away up the stairs to Ruby’s room to hunt out her Friends DVD’s. Ruby exhaled lightly as she walked quietly over to the bottom of the stairs and looked up before turning and running out of the house.

Bianca was sitting waiting in the hospital with Rocco sitting on her lap, his little hand pulling on her bracelet. “Bianca,” Bianca was surprised to hear Heath’s voice. “Is everything alright? Why are you at the hospital?”

“Could ask you the same question.” Bianca replied. “Rocco’s getting his 6 month injections.” Bianca told him and Heath nodded lightly. “You?”

“I was getting tested to see if I was a match for Ruby.” Heath answered as he took a seat next to her. Rocco, upon seeing his dad, let out a squeal of excitement as he waved his hands out to the side. Heath smiled as he lifted his son onto his knee and Rocco babbled as he buried his head against his dad’s chest.

“Oh, and are you?” Bianca questioned.

Heath shrugged his shoulders. “Said I’d need to wait a bit on the results.”

“Yeah, we all had to wait a while too.” Bianca answered. “So where is Darcy today?”

“She ran into a mate this morning so she’s over there playing,” Heath answered. “She’d liked to have see you though. I eh....we should probably sort something out so you can see Darcy and I can see him.”

“Sure,” Bianca pursed her lips together. “I’d like to talk about us though,” Bianca spoke quietly. “I mean how can I trust that if I give you Rocco for the day that you won’t run away again taking him with you this time?”

“I won’t,” Heath answered. “I’m so sorry I did. I just panicked. I was so scared I was going to muck up and thought that you and Rocco deserved better.”

“I’ll be the judge of what sort of man I date thank you,” Bianca said. “You were a great partner and are a fantastic father.”

Heath smiled at her compliment. “Do you eh....do you think we could maybe ever work again?” Heath questioned.

“Depends if you can forgive me for sleeping with your brother.” Bianca replied.

“I eh....” Heath trailed off as he took a deep breath.

“Rocco Scott-Braxton.” The doctor said as she appeared in the corridor. Bianca stood up from the chair and lifted Rocco back into her arms before walking down the corridor following the doctor into the room. Heath exhaled as he rested his head back against the wall and thought about if he really could forgive Bianca, or if now, the constant worry of it happening again was always going to be in the back of his mind.

“Heath,” Sid walked out of the room and over to him. He exhaled as he shook his head lightly. “Sorry, you’re not a match.”

“Gee,” Heath stood up as he felt his heart hurting a little. “How many people have been tested?”

“You’d be number 13,” Sid answered. “Poor girl. We just can’t seem to find her a match.”

“So we need to keep everything crossed for the baby being a match now eh.” Heath said.

“Yes,” Sid cleared his throat. “I guess we do.”

“You don’t sound like you are supporting the idea?” Heath questioned.

“Well saviour siblings are very controversial,” Sid exhaled. “Of course I am not going to stop Charlie as so far we haven’t found a match on the register either, so this may be the only chance she’ll have, but....” Sid shook his head. “Well as I say they are very controversial.”

“Yeah, well I’m sure as a parent yourself you can understand why Charlie is doing this,” Heath said. “Anyways, I’ll go break the bad news to Charlie.” Heath said before he walked away from Sid and left the hospital.

Ruby ran into the restaurant where she saw Brax setting up for the lunchtime trade. “Hey Rubes, nice to see you.” Brax smiled as he looked at her.

“How could you?” Ruby spat as she lunged forward and scratched at his face. “You promised, you promised me.” Ruby cried as Brax took hold of her hands, getting them away from his face. “You promised you wouldn’t leave her. You said you wanted to spend the rest of your life with her.”

“I’m sorry,” Brax spoke quietly. “But she’s having someone else’s baby.”

“To save my life,” Ruby answered. “Do you actually want me to die?” Ruby screamed as she pulled her hands away from Brax’s grasp. “I hate you,” Ruby spat. “I thought you liked me, I thought you wanted me to be okay.”

“Of course I want you to be okay Ruby but -”

“Then why are you being so selfish?” Ruby shouted. “You break up with mum when she needs you the most. Do you think this is easy for her? Having a sick daughter and having to have a baby with him to save me?”

“No, I eh....it won’t be,” Brax scratched the back of his head. “But it doesn’t change the face that she wants to have a child with someone else. If she has a baby with me there would be a chance of it being a match but that’s not good enough. It needs to be her way.”

“Of course it does,” Ruby answered. “He’s my biological father. There’s more chance of a match this way.”

“Look Ruby even if I did tell you’ll mother I’ll support her I don’t think she’d take me back anyways.” Brax said thinking about his night with Bianca.

“Why?” Ruby questioned. “She loves you. She’s so hurt that you can’t find a way to be the better person that I know you actually are and agree to support this. She needs you right now Brax, more than ever and you go and break up with her, how could you?” Ruby once again lunged forward and started hitting his chest in anger. “I hate you Brax, I hate you for this.”

“Ruby,” Charlie shouted as she ran into the restaurant. “Stop it.” Charlie took hold of her daughter.

“But it’s not fair, how can he be so selfish at a time like this.” Ruby sniffed back as Charlie wiped the tears from Ruby’s cheeks with her thumbs.

“It’s okay,” Charlie answered. “He’s not worth all these tears or getting yourself so worked up over, oaky?” Charlie said as she sat her daughter down on the chair as she was out of breath from her outburst. “Calm yourself down,” Charlie said as Ruby regulated her breathing. “Now what you doing running in here and attacking him like that?”

“I’m just so angry with him.” Ruby answered.

“I know, but this isn’t going to solve anything is it?” Charlie said.

“I thought maybe if I yelled at him enough he’d see how wrong he was being in all of this.” Ruby answered as she looked up to her mother.

“I don’t think anybody will make him see that sweetheart,” Charlie answered as she gave Brax a glance and noticed some blood running from his cheek where Ruby had scratched him. “So let’s just go home and enjoy the day how we had planned, yeah?” Ruby nodded lightly as she stood up from the chair and gave Brax once last glance before she left the restaurant.

“Thanks for not telling her about me and Bianca.” Brax said quietly.

Charlie gave a little laugh. “I didn’t do it for you,” Charlie spat. “She has enough to deal with and she already feels guilty enough for you leaving me. I don’t need to put anything else onto her and besides it’s only a matter of time before she finds out any ways. Like you said these things always get out.” Charlie spoke coldly before leaving the restaurant to be with her daughter.

Thanks everyone. :wub:

Chapter 26

Charlie locked the door of the house before turning around to see Brax walking up the driveway. “Charlie,” Brax spoke tentatively. “Can we talk?”

“I don’t have time,” Charlie answered. “I need to get to the city.” Charlie walked over to her car as she spoke, with Brax following her.

“I eh -”

“Look if this is about yesterday then I am sorry for Ruby’s behaviour,” Charlie looked up to Brax. “She was just upset that we’d broken up and I guess she needed someone to blame.”

“And of course it’s big bad Brax’s fault, right?” Brax sighed. “You’re not to blame in the slightest. I mean you’re the one who wants a baby with your rapist but yeah it’s all my fault that we are finished.”

“I didn’t say it was all your fault,” Charlie answered. “I just wish that you could have been more understanding.”

“Well why can’t you understand how I feel and not go ahead with having the baby?” Brax asked.

“Because that does nothing to help Ruby,” Charlie answered as she unlocked the car and opened the door to get in. “I’m going to do this regardless of what you say, I obviously would have liked it if you were able to accept it and stick around but unfortunately for me that’s just not the way this has worked out so I guess it just wasn’t mean to be. Now, I really need to get to the city so why don’t you just head off back to Bianca’s.” Charlie spoke coldly towards Brax before she got into her car, and turned the keys in the ignition, before driving off towards the city. Brax exhaled as he watched her car until it was no longer visible, before walking down to the beach, where he spotted his brother out catching some waves. He sighed as he took a seat on the sand, and watched as Heath crashed out, falling from his board as the wave crashed over him.

“Surprised you didn’t catch that one.” Brax said as Heath walked out from the ocean looking rather mad with himself.

“My mind isn’t really into it today,” Heath answered as he stuck his board in the sand before picking up his towel. “Keep getting this image of you and Bianca in my head.”

Brax bowed his head down. “Sorry mate,” Brax apologised. “I eh.....wasn’t the brightest idea was it?”

“You can say that again,” Heath answered as he took a seat next to him.

“If it’s any consolation she didn’t seem to enjoy it much. Told me she preferred being with you.” Brax said quietly.

Heath gave a little grin. “Well maybe she does still have sense.”

“You know I’m sorry, don’t you? You know I didn’t mean to hurt you.” Brax said.

Heath gave a little snigger. “Guess you just got me back for me sleeping with Tegan eh.”

“Yeah,” Brax nodded. “But surely you don’t regret sleeping with her. I mean you got Darcy from that eh.”

“Yeah, she’s eh....she’s a good kid," Heath smiled as he thought about his daughter. “But still, I wouldn’t like it if you got Bianca pregnant. I mean Rocco would be his half-brothers cousin.” Heath screwed his face up. “Is that right?”

“Sounds so,” Brax answered. “And hopefully she doesn’t get pregnant yeah,” Brax said. “Do eh; do you think you will take her back?”

“I dunno,” Heath shrugged his shoulders. “With you eh...” Heath cleared his throat. “Well you’re my brother and I....well you know I...” Heath trailed off as he once again cleared his throat.

“I know.” Brax patted his brother’s shoulder.

“So yeah you’re my brother and we stick together, we’re family and I’m not going to let some chick come between us.”

“I know but it’s Bianca. She’s not just some chick is she? You have a kid together and you’re proper in love with her. I’ve never seen you treat a woman like you treat Bianca. Usually you’ll be with a woman and then you’ll get bored of her and move on to the next one, but it’s not like that with Bianca. You are in a proper relationship with her and it’s nice to see.”

“I want us to work again,” Heath answered. “But I guess only time will tell. Anyways, what about you and Buckton?”

“There is no me and Charlie,” Brax shook his head. “She’s determined to have this baby and even if I said I would support her in this whole baby thing, I don’t see her wanting to take me back after I slept with her best friend the same day that I left her.”

“Well I am sorry because I really thought you two were for keeps,” Heath said softly. “But who knows maybe in the future you’ll get closer again,” Heath said before he patted Brax’s shoulder as he stood up. “I’m going to try out there again.” Heath said as he picked up his board and ran back down towards the ocean leaving Brax sitting alone on the beach.

Charlie walked in the clinic to see Grant already sitting waiting on her. She took a deep breath before she walked down the corridor and took a seat next to him. “Hey.” Charlie spoke quietly, not quiet looking directly at him.

“Hey,” Grant replied. “How was your journey here?”

“Fine.” Charlie answered as she moved slightly in the chair, moving herself further away from Grant.

“You know you are going to have to act better than that once we get inside?” Grant questioned. “It’d be obvious to anyone we weren’t a real couple. You can’t look so petrified of me.”

“Well it’s kind of hard to after what you did.” Charlie answered.

“But you still want to have my baby?” Grant questioned. “You don’t make sense.”

“I don’t want to have your baby,” Charlie answered. “I need to have this baby to save my daughter.”

“You mean our daughter?” Grant questioned.

“She’s my daughter,” Charlie answered. “You are just the sperm donor on both counts,” Charlie said. “The sooner we get this done and I get pregnant and don’t have to see you again the better.”

“No, you’ll just have to see my child every day of your life,” Grant gave a little laugh. “But hey if having a baby with your rapist thrills you who am I to judge?”

Charlie widened her eyes in surprise. It was the first time that Grant had properly admitted to raping her. “Look, I don’t think we should be talking about this here,” Charlie said as a doctor walked down the corridor giving them a smile. “You’re right, we eh....we can’t make it obvious we aren’t a couple.”

“Right yeah,” Grant exhaled. “So, what actually happens today?” Grant questioned.

“I guess they just talk with us, let us know what to expect, about the drug treatment I’ll need, that sort of stuff.” Charlie answered.

“So we need to come here more than once?” Grant questioned and Charlie gave a gentle nod. “I kinda just hoped it would be a case of go in, give them my stuff, put it in you and be done with it. I’m so worried that Tracy will find out and hate that I keep lying to her.”

“Well for what it’s worth I am sorry,” Charlie said. “But I need this to save my Rubes.”

“Yeah,” Grant exhaled. “I know.”

“Charlotte and Grant Buckton?” The doctor said as he appeared before them. Grant and Charlie nodded as they stood up and followed the doctor through to the room, ready to begin the process.

Ruby waited at the school gates for her friends to finish school. If she was being totally honest she missed school and would have loved to still be there, but Gina, Charlie and Sid decided between them that between hospital visits, chemo and all the bad days Ruby could have, it was best for her to take time off. “Hey,” Ruby smiled as she waved her hand to Romeo, April and Dexter. “How was school today?”

“Hmm,” Romeo groaned. “How was your day?”

“Pretty boring to be honest,” Ruby answered. “Mum’s gone to the city to see the people in the clinic but she didn’t want me to be alone so made me promise I’d stay with Leah till you got out of school.”

“She just wants to make sure if anything happens someone is there for you.” Romeo answered.

“I guess,” Ruby said. “But Leah was working so I had to spend my morning in the diner and my Cosmopolitan only lasted so long.”

“Leah made you an alcoholic cocktail?” Dexter screwed his face up and Ruby and April burst into a laugh.

“Cosmopolitan is a magazine babe.” April said.

“Oh yes, that one that I lose you too once a month for a while,” Dex exhaled. “It looks more like a book than a magazine, seriously is there that much to write on fashion and stuff?”

“Don’t get into it mate,” Romeo shook his head as he gave Dexter a glance. “Couldn’t you have just hung out with Bianca?” Romeo questioned. “She’s still on maternity leave so it would have made more sense to be with her than Leah who was working.”

Ruby shrugged her shoulders. “Mum said I wasn’t allowed to go to Bianca’s. I guess because Brax is staying there and I kind of laid into him last night.”

“Ruby.” Romeo exhaled.

“Well he broke his promise to me,” Ruby sighed. “And I want him to be with mum.”

“You just have to leave them to sort things out,” Dexter said and Ruby nodded lightly. “So, babe you coming for dinner and staying over tonight?”

April pursed her lips together. “Yeah, but I need to go home to get things first.”

“Well we’ll all go over there now then you can all come out to the farm for dinner.” Dexter said.

“I’m not sure that’s a good idea,” Ruby said. “Mum clearly didn’t want me to go around to Bianca’s.”

“It’ll only be for a few minutes,” April replied. “And Romeo will hold you back if Brax is there.” April laughed before the 4 of them continued walking in the direction of Bianca’s house.

Thank you Red Ranger 1, Freakie42, Sarah, Kristen, JosieTash, beebee, Laura, RoRo90, Sabrina, pembie and Zoe for the comments. :wub:

Chapter 27

“Heath,” Bianca said softly as Heath walked into the house. “Hey, Darcy.” Bianca smiled as the girl hugged her.

“Bianca, I missed you so much,” Darcy said as she pulled back from the hug. “When are me and dad going to come home to be with you and Rocco?”

Bianca exhaled as she looked to Heath before looking back to Darcy. “I’m not sure sweetheart,” Bianca shook her head. “Me and your dad have a lot of talking to do.”

Darcy pouted sadly. “Is it because dad and me left that you don’t want us home?”

“Not quiet,” Bianca answered as she ran her hand through Darcy’s hair. “I’d love it if you and your dad came home, but...” Bianca trailed off as she once again looked up to Heath. “It all depends on if your dad want’s to come home.”

“Why don’t you go up the stairs and see to Rocco eh? Let me and Bianca talk?” Heath said and Darcy nodded before she ran through the house and up to her brother’s room.

“He still living here?” Heath questioned as he and Bianca walked over to the couch and took a seat.

“Yeah,” Bianca answered quietly. “He has nowhere else to go, I can’t exactly let him live on the street.”

“Darcy and I stayed in a caravan last night,” Heath answered. “So, he can go stay in a van.”

“He’s your brother, Heath,” Bianca said. “Surely you can let him stay on the couch.”

“You slept with him,” Heath raised his voice. “If we are going to get back together then he needs to be out this house, okay? If you want me to work passed this and learn to forgive you then as much as I don’t want to leave my brother with no place to stay maybe that’s just karma for him sleeping with you.”

Bianca pursed her lips together. She didn’t want to leave Brax with no place to stay but at the end of day, she loved Heath and working on her relationship with him was going to come first. “Okay, I’ll ask Brax to leave,” Bianca said. “So, does that mean you’ll come home?”

“I will,” Heath answered. “I don’t think it’ll be easy but I feel it’s worth trying.”

Bianca smiled lightly as she moved closer to Heath. “You know I love you so much right?” Bianca questioned.

“I know,” Heath said as he tucked Bianca’s hair behind her ear. “I eh...” Heath trailed off. He loved her, he did, but he didn’t feel like she deserved to hear it right now. “Well maybe if you don’t sleep with my brother again I’ll be saying it soon enough.”

“What?” Bianca and Heath looked up to see Ruby, April, Romeo and Dexter walking into the house. “You slept with Brax?” Ruby questioned.

“Ruby I -” Bianca tried to explain but was cut off by Ruby.

“How could you do that to mum?” Ruby questioned. “And to Heath?”

“It was just a mistake,” Bianca answered. “I hate that I’ve hurt your mum and Heath, but I’m going to make it up to both of them.”

“You stay away from my mum because I know she won’t want to be friends with you anymore.” Ruby spat before she ran from the house, with Romeo running after her.

“Wow, Bianca,” April raised her eyebrows. “Nice.”

“April, look I -”

“Don’t,” April shook her head. “Are you’re just going to forgive her?” April questioned as she looked at Heath.

“Well I left for a couple of weeks eh, so I’m not totally blameless,” Heath said as he looked to April. “So yeah, we’re going to try again.”

“Well, I’ll leave you two to carry on playing happy families then,” April said. “I’m going to get some stuff and spend the night at Dex’s.”

“No April, you’re not,” Bianca stood up from the couch as she pointed to her little sister. “I get that you two are.....active now, but that doesn’t mean I want you staying over at his every night.”

“Well it’s not up to you.” April answered.

“You are seventeen years old, and I am your guardian, so yes April it is up to me,” Bianca raised her voice. “I don’t mind you saying over at Dexter’s and I’m not going to stop you from being with him, but you’re not staying over at his place on a school night.” Bianca said.

“But Sid said -”

“I don’t care what Sid said and quite frankly I am surprised he is allowing this,” Bianca said. “Sunday through Thursday night you can hang out with Dex all you want but you are going to be sleeping in your own bed,” Bianca exhaled. “Friday and Saturday night you are free to stay where you want.”

“Funny that,” April said. “At least I’m only sleeping with one guy. I didn’t get bored of one brother so jumped to the next then back again.” April shouted before throwing her school bag down on the floor and running out of the house.

“Well I guess we are leaving.” Dexter said awkwardly before he walked out of the house after April.

Charlie walked into the restaurant and up to the bar to see Brax cleaning some glasses. “Charlie,” Brax smiled, glad to her and did wish that things could have been different for them. “How are you?” Brax looked to Charlie and exhaled.

“Brilliant,” Charlie spat back. “Was it you? It was wasn’t it? It was you?”

Brax put the glass and cloth down before rubbing the back of his head. “Was what me?” Brax questioned.

“Cut the crap,” Charlie raised her voice. “You told them didn’t you? You told the clinic that Grant and I weren’t a couple and now because of you we can’t get the IVF.”

“No,” Brax sounded totally surprised at what Charlie said. “I would never do that to you Charlie, how can you think that?”

“I don’t know, I mean you’ve left me because I wanted this child and then you slept with my best friend so sounds like something you could have done right now.”

“Charlie, I swear I didn’t,” Brax shook his head. “Obviously you know that I don’t like this plan but I wouldn’t ever be as cruel to stop it like that.”

“How am I supposed to save her now?” Charlie said as she felt herself welling up with tears. Brax exhaled lightly as he walked out from behind the bar and led Charlie through to the office. “There’s nothing I can do now and she’s my baby. I’m supposed to be able to keep her safe and I can’t.” Charlie felt like her heart was breaking, admitting there was now nothing she could do for her daughter. Brax exhaled as he looked into her eyes and could see the pain and hurt.

“Hey, Charlie,” Brax tentatively pulled her into a hug. Charlie resisted for a moment, before resting her head against his chest. “They’ll find her a match on the register.”

“When though?” Charlie questioned. “At least if I was able to have the baby I would have known a match was coming but now I just...” Charlie stopped talking as she started to cry, her tears falling from her face onto his shirt.

“I don’t know when,” Brax shook his head as he rubbed her back. “But I do believe there is a match out there for her.”

“I wish that.....I wish things went differently for us,” Charlie sniffed back as she pulled away from the hug. “I needed you so much and you broke my heart by leaving and then again it seemed to break even more when you slept with Bianca.”

Brax bowed his head down, saddened at what Charlie was saying. “I will always be here for you if you need someone to offload too.”

“No, no you won’t,” Charlie shook her head. “Because you can’t support what I want to do so how are you supposed to be there for me?” Charlie questioned.

“Well you’re not getting to have the baby now, so maybe -”

“You think I’ll take you back just because I can’t get the IVF?” Charlie questioned. “Nah,” Charlie shook her head. “I don’t want you back. I just want my daughter to be okay.”

“Charlie I -”

“I’ll let you get back to work.” Charlie sniffed back once again before leaving the office and walking out of the restaurant, leaving Brax standing there. He exhaled lightly as he rubbed his forehead before having to go back to work.

Thank you Laura, beebee, Sarah, Zoe, Freakie42, Kristen and Spotd1 for commenting. Hope you like this one....

Chapter 28

Charlie walked into the house and over to the kitchen where she saw Romeo busy making some dinner. “Hey,” Charlie smiled as she put her keys and bag down on the table. “Something smells nice.”

“Thanks,” Romeo smiled appreciatively at Charlie. “Ruby got a little upset so I thought I’d make her her favourite dinner to try to cheer her up.”

“Why did she get upset?” Charlie questioned.

“We went round to Bianca’s after school and she....” Romeo trailed off. “Look I’m sorry if you don’t know this but Bianca and Brax they....” Romeo took a deep breath, preparing to tell her.

“Slept together, I know,” Charlie spoke sadly and quietly. “Ruby found this out?”

“Yeah. Overheard Bianca talking.” Romeo replied.

“I guess I couldn’t keep it from her forever.” Charlie exhaled.

“No,” Romeo agreed. “Sorry.”

“It’s fine.” Charlie exhaled, and Romeo could see she was trying to put on a brave face, but knew she was hurting.

“So, how did it go today?” Romeo questioned.

“Not great,” Charlie answered. “Someone told them we weren’t a couple so they won’t give us the IVF.”

“Oh God,” Romeo looked shocked. “Sorry, eh....what can you do now?”

“I don’t know yet but I will think of something,” Charlie replied. “Anyways, I’ll leave you to your cooking and go talk to Ruby.”

“Right,” Romeo nodded. “And you’re welcome to join us,” Romeo said. “There’s plenty here.”

“Thanks,” Charlie gave him a thankful smile before walking through the house and up the stairs, where she knocked on the door of her daughters room, before walking in. “Hey, Rubes, you alright?” Charlie walked over to the bed and took a seat next to her daughter, who was lying across the bed, her head buried in her hands. “I heard you found out about Brax and Bianca?”

“You knew about that?” Ruby questioned as she sat up in the bed.

“Yeah,” Charlie nodded lightly. “Brax told me on Saturday.”

“I can’t believe he would cheat on you and Bianca she -”

“He didn’t cheat on me,” Charlie shook her head. “We broke up before it happened.”

“Only just broken up then,” Ruby sniffed back. “How could they do that to you and to Heath?” Ruby questioned. “It makes me hate Brax even more and now Bianca too.”

“You don’t have to hate them Rubes,” Charlie shook her head. “They -”

“Yes I do,” Ruby raised her voice. “You’re going through enough having to deal with a sick daughter and they just leave you and sleep with each other and don’t care about your feelings at all,” Ruby said. “And I’m so sorry for going to Bianca’s when you said I couldn’t. I guess I understand why you didn’t want me going there now but it was only so April could grab a few things.”

“It’s okay,” Charlie exhaled. “I just didn’t want you finding out from someone else, but I probably should have just told you yesterday.”

“You were probably just trying to protect me,” Ruby gave her mother a smile. “So how did it go with Grant today?”

“Not great,” Charlie spoke hesitantly. “Someone told the clinic we weren’t a couple so unfortunately now we can’t get the IVF.”

“Well who would do such a thing?” Ruby questioned. “This is to stop me from dying.”

“I know,” Charlie lightly rubbed her daughter’s cheek. “Brax swore it wasn’t him, so I can only think Tracy found out and put a stop to it.”

“So what....we just need to wait for the register now? Ruby questioned.

“I’m not going to stop trying,” Charlie shook her head. “Yes, we have this little set back to deal with but I’m not giving up on doing this to save you.”

Ruby smiled nervously, her hopes of the saviour sibling happening crashing drastically. “I love that you’re still willing to try but what else can be done?” Ruby questioned. “It’s not as if you will sleep with him, is it?”

“Hopefully it doesn’t come to that,” Charlie shook her head. “But you know I would do anything to save your life, right?”

“I know, that’s what I am worried about.” Ruby answered.

“I’ll work something out,” Charlie said. “Now, are you going to come down for some dinner? Romeo cooked your favourite.”

“I will,” Ruby nodded. “But I want a hug first.” Ruby said before she fell into her mother’s arms. Charlie rubbed her daughters back as she placed a kiss on her head. She was her baby and there was no way that she was going to give up on having this baby to save her just yet.

It was the next morning and Charlie was in the middle of making some breakfast for Ruby, who had been pretty sick through the night, so was still resting in bed, waiting on Charlie to bring something up to her. The sound of the doorbell caused her to stop what she was doing and walk through to the front door to answer it. “Grant.” Charlie was very surprised to see him at the other side of her door.

“Charlie,” Grant sounded nervous. “Can I come in?” Charlie nodded as she properly looked to him and noticed a cut just above his left eye. “I didn’t know if you’d be at work or not, so I’m glad this isn’t a wasted journey.”

“I’m not working right now,” Charlie told him. “They said my mind wasn’t on the job I got extended leave.”

“Makes sense I guess,” Grant replied. “So, look, it was Tracy who told the clinic,” Grant exhaled lightly. “She was getting suspicious of me, having met you a few times and I tried telling her that Ruby was sick and we were talking about our daughter but I don’t know, I guess she could sense it was something more and well she must have checked my phone when I wasn’t in the room and she found out the plans and put a stop to them.”

“Right,” Charlie nodded lightly. “She give you that cut?”

“She got mad with me when I got home yeah,” Grant nodded. “Started throwing things at me and ended up with this little cut.”

“Well for what it’s worth I’m sorry,” Charlie said. “It’s me who wanted this so I’ll take the blame so if Tracy wants anyone to yell at send her my way.”

Grant gave a little laugh. “No I’ll just keep her being mad at me. It’s easier for me to get back in her good books.”

“Right,” Charlie answered. “So, did you only come here to tell me about her or?”

“You still want to have this baby?” Grant questioned.

“Of course I do,” Charlie answered. “But if we can’t get the IVF what does that leave us with? I mean we’re not exactly going to jump into bed together are we?”

“No and we don’t need to,” Grant shook his head. “We could use the turkey baster method,” Grant said. “You know I pleasure myself and then put my collected sperm into a needless syringe and then you put it in you.”

“You think that will work?” Charlie questioned.

“Sure,” Grant nodded. “I’ve been reading about it online at work and it’s been successful.”

“What about Tracy though?” Charlie questioned. “I know I want to do anything I can to save my daughter but are you willing to potentially ruin your marriage for me and Ruby when you have nothing to do with her and when you’ll have nothing to do with this baby?”

Grant exhaled lightly. “I want to make it up to you,” Grant said quietly. “I know nothing will take away what I did but I thought maybe if I did this for you, it could in a way make up for what I did to you back then and show you that I am sorry.”

“Eh well.” Charlie was quiet surprised by what Grant had said. Last week he was still denying what he has done, but for the last two days, he’d admitted to it twice.

“And you don’t have to worry about Tracy. She thinks I wouldn’t be stupid enough to try anything else with you.”

“Right,” Charlie nodded lightly. “Well yeah, I’d eh....I want to try this.”

“Okay so when can we try?”

“You’ll have to come back next week when I am ovulating,” Charlie told him and Grant nodded lightly. “And really, I can’t thank you enough for this.”

“Well I just thought if it was William or Mila I would do the same. I would do anything I could to save them so why should Ruby be any different?” Grant said. “Anyways, I should get back to the city, but I’ll see you next week.” Grant said as he walked out of the house.

“Yeah, bye.” Charlie closed the door before leaning her head against it and exhaled as she felt her hand rub lightly across her stomach. She smiled to herself before running off up the stairs to tell Ruby the news.

Thank you everyone. :)

Chapter 29

Charlie walked into the diner, and not paying attention to where she was going she bumped into someone. “I’m sorry,” Charlie said as she looked up to see Bianca looking back at her. “Oh.”

“It’s alright,” Bianca replied. “Eh, how are things going?” Bianca questioned. “I hear you’re pregnant, congrats. I’m happy that you get to save Ruby the way you wanted.”

“Yeah,” Charlie smiled awkwardly as she lightly rubbed her stomach. She was 8 weeks pregnant, and counting down the days until she could get tested to see if the baby would be a match for Ruby. “Well I just came in for a tea so.” Charlie said as she tried to walk away but Bianca spoke again, stopping her.

“Charlie, I miss you,” Bianca said sadly. “I miss our chats, and drinking wine and complaining about our men, swapping stories. Darcy and Rocco miss their aunty Charlie.....can we please be friends again?”

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “I don’t want to be friends with you,” Charlie answered. “You ruined that when you slept with Brax.”

“Please,” Bianca exhaled. “I’m so sorry that I did and I hate how much it hurt you but I just want my best friend back.”

“Well you’re not going to get her back, so just give up trying,” Charlie said before walking away as Bianca sadly walked out of the diner. “Morning Leah,” Charlie smiled at her friend. “How are you today?”

“I’m good,” Leah smiled. “How are you?”

“Good thanks,” Charlie smiled. “I’ll take a ginger tea to go please.” Charlie answered.

“How’s Ruby doing today?” Leah questioned. Ruby was currently in hospital with a viral infection that she’d picked up around a week beforehand.

“She’s a lot better today,” Charlie smiled. “I think she’s over the worst of it so hopefully she’ll be home in the next few days.”

“Well give her my best,” Leah smiled as she prepared Charlie’s tea. “How have you been feeling?”

“From the hours of 7 through till 9 I may as well stay in the bathroom,” Charlie answered. “I’m just constantly sick right now.”

“Well hopefully it passes soon,” Leah said. “How were you with Ruby?”

“Sick till the day she was born,” Charlie exhaled. “But hey, if this kid is going save her life then I’ll put up with it,” Leah gave her a weak smile as he handed her the tea. “I’ll take a piece of that lemon drizzle cake for Rubes too please.” Charlie said as she pointed to the cake.

“So, I saw you were talking to Bianca. Is this the start of the make up?” Leah questioned as she boxed up the piece of cake.

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “It would just be like saying what they did was okay.”

“Well that’s a shame,” Leah answered. “You were good friends and we had some good times together,” Leah said. “I miss all 3 of us hanging out.”

“Well I’m sorry that you’re in the middle but she knew what Brax was to me and for her to sleep with him on the day he left me, I....” Charlie trailed off as she opened up her purse, pulling some money out. “Here,” Charlie handed Leah the note. “Keep the change,” Charlie lifted up the tea and the box of cake. “I’ll see you later.” Charlie said before walking out the diner to get to the hospital to see her daughter.

Charlie walked into the room and smiled to see Ruby sitting up and reading a magazine, while eating a chocolate mousse pudding. “Getting your appetite back I see?” Charlie said as she leaned forward and placed a soft kiss on her forehead.

“Mmm.” Ruby nodded as she put another spoonful of the dessert into her mouth.

“Well I guess now you’ve filled up on chocolate pudding you won’t want to eat this cake then.” Charlie said as she put the box down on the bedside table.

Ruby’s eyes widened as she pointed to the box. “Is that Leah’s lemon drizzle?”

“What else would I bring you?” Charlie questioned.

Ruby shoved the last of the chocolate pudding into her mouth before putting the tub and spoon back down on the tray. “Hand it over,” Ruby gestured for Charlie to hand her the box. Charlie laughed lightly at her daughter before passing it to her. “So,” Ruby said as she opened the box and took a bite of the cake. “You do know you can buy tea in the hospital, right?” Ruby questioned as Charlie took a drink of her ginger tea.

“Yes I know but Leah’s is nicer,” Charlie answered. “So you’re looking a lot better today.” Charlie smiled glad to see some colour in her daughter’s cheeks for once.

“Feeling it too,” Ruby answered as she swallowed. “Hopefully I get home in the next few days.”

“I don’t know about that,” Charlie teased. “I’m enjoying the peace so might have you stay here longer.”

“Haha you are hilarious mother,” Ruby rolled her eyes. “So anyways did you remember the picture of the baby scan today since you’re already baby brain forgot it yesterday?”

“I did.” Charlie nodded as she fished into her bag, pulling out the scan pictures and handing them to Ruby.

“Uhm...” Ruby looked to the picture before looking up to her mother then back to the picture. “I don’t see anything that looks like a baby.”

Charlie gave a little laugh as she leaned forward and pointed to the baby on the scan. “That’s the baby there.”

“What the thing that looks like a bean?” Ruby questioned and Charlie once again gave a little laugh.

“Well it is about the size of a kidney bean right now so I guess that’s a fair comment.” Charlie said.

“A kidney bean,” Ruby laughed. “That’s what I am going to refer to the baby as from now on.”

“You are going to refer to my stomach as kidney bean?” Charlie scrunched her face up.

“No, just bean,” Ruby answered. “So when are you getting tested to see if bean is a match?”

“I have an appointment on Friday,” Charlie answered. The only problem with them having to use the turkey baster method instead of IVF what that they had less chance of knowing the baby she got pregnant with was going to be a match. “So, fingers crossed.”

“Yeah,” Ruby agreed as she once again looked down to the scan. “It’s pretty amazing that your eggs and a guy’s sperm can come together and make little kidney beans that turn into real little people.”

“I know,” Charlie replied. “”It is.”

“Yeah,” Ruby exhaled. “So what do you think Ross would have said to you having this baby?”

“I’m sure he would want me to do whatever I could to save you,” Charlie answered. “He’d want to try anything and if this is what we had to do I am sure he would support it.”

Ruby smiled at Charlie’s answer. “Yeah he probably would,” Ruby exhaled. “I’m going to love this kid so much,” Ruby said. “It’s going to save my life. How am I ever going to thank it enough?”

“Well lots of babysitting, treats and fun days out sounds good to me.” Charlie replied.

“Of course,” Ruby answered. “I am going to be the best big sister ever to that little bean.”

“I know you will.” Charlie smiled lightly at her daughter and only hope that this baby was indeed a match. Although they were talking like it already was, she knew there was a chance it could go the other way and that it really was 50/50. She exhaled lightly and ran her hand over her stomach, hoping that this went their way.

Charlie walked into the restaurant over to the bar. “Charlie,” Brax smiled at his ex. “How are you doing?”

“I’m fine,” Charlie smiled awkwardly. She still loved Brax and deeply wanted to be with him but knew they couldn’t. Not when she was pregnant with Grant’s child and after he slept with Bianca. “Eh, there should be a pizza for me?”

“It’s not ready yet,” Brax shook his head. “Why don’t you take a seat and I’ll get you a drink. On the house.” Brax smiled as he gestured for Charlie to sit down on the bar stool.

“I can’t drink,” Charlie shook her head as she took a seat. “You know I am pregnant, right?”

“Yeah,” Brax answered with a tint of sadness in his tone. “I just meant a soft drink.”

“Well I don’t want a drink,” Charlie answered rather coldly. “So I’ll just wait here for my pizza and let you get back on with your work.”

“We’re not exactly busy yet,” Brax pointed to the few tables of customers. “So, how’s Ruby? I heard she was in hospital with some sort of infection?”

“She’s getting better,” Charlie answered. “Well I mean the infection is clearing, she’s not obviously going to get better yet.”

“That’s good to hear,” Brax said. “I guess she will be more susceptible to infections and such right now. Her whole immune system will be weaker, eh.”

“It is,” Charlie answered. “But hopefully in 7 months she’ll be getting the transplant and then make a full recovery back to her usual self.”

“Yeah, I hope so too,” Brax answered. “So, I finally got out of the caravan,” Brax smiled. “Got a studio apartment on Rosebank Road. It’s pretty small but I guess if it’s just for me it’ll do.”

“That’s nice.” Charlie answered.

“Yeah,” Brax nodded. “I’m actually having Bianca, Heath, Leah and Miles over for a little house warming. You should come.”

“Be in a room with you and Bianca all night? No thanks,” Charlie shook her head. “Bad enough Heath forgiving her so quickly, never mind me having to put up with you two in the same room for a night.”

“It’s just pizza, beer, wine, soft drinks obviously if you do come,” Brax said. “You’d save me from being the 5th wheel and it would be nice for the 6 of us to all hang out again like we used to. You know it would be nice if we can be friends.”

“I can’t do friends,” Charlie shook her head. “Not when I lo -”

“Meat feast pizza for Buckton.” The waiter spoke over Charlie as he put the pizza down in front of Brax before disappearing back into the kitchen.

“Large hey,” Brax said, trying to ignore what he knew Charlie was about to say and the fact he felt the same way. “Guess now you’re eating for two you need to eat more.”

“Romeo is joining me for dinner then we are going to the hospital together, not that’s it’s any of your business.”

“Right, sorry,” Brax sighed as he took the money from Charlie, and handed her her change. “Well if you change your mind about the house warming let me know. It’s on Friday and I’m sure everyone would like to see you there.” Brax said as he handed Charlie her pizza, before she turned and left the restaurant.

Thank you Sarah, Freakie42, Kristen, Red Ranger 1, Spotd1, pembie and JosieTash for the comments.

Chapter 30

Charlie and Romeo walked into Ruby’s room and were surprised to see Darcy and Heath sitting talking with her. “Charlie,” Heath stood up as he saw her. “Sorry, maybe I should have asked you if I could come but Darcy really wanted to see Ruby.”

“Is Bianca here?” Charlie questioned.

“No, just us two.” Heath answered.

“Then it’s fine,” Charlie smiled down at the little girl. “How have you been Darcy?”

“Okay,” Darcy answered. “I asked Ruby if she would take me surfing but she said she’s too sick right now.” Darcy bowed her head down.

“Yeah, she is right now, but once she is better I am sure she’d love to take you surfing, wouldn’t you Rubes?” Charlie questioned as she looked to her daughter.

“Of course.” Ruby smiled at the girl.

“You pinky promise?” Darcy questioned and Ruby nodded as she linked pinky’s with Darcy.

“Right Darcy, let’s leave Romeo and Charlie to be with Ruby eh,” Heath said as he patted Darcy’s shoulder. “C’mon I’ll take you to the canteen for some ice cream.”

“Okay,” Darcy exhaled. “Bye Ruby, it was nice to see you.”

“Nice to see you too Darce, you’ll need to come visit me again hmm?”

“Can I?” Darcy smiled up at Heath who looked to Charlie for permission. Charlie nodded lightly in response.

“Sure you can,” Heath replied. “Now, c’mon let’s go.” Darcy exhaled as she walked out of the room with Heath following.

“I might go join them,” Charlie said as Romeo took a seat on the chair next to Ruby’s bed. “Get a coffee and let you two have some time together.”

“You’re not allowed coffee in your condition.” Ruby told her mother.

“I’m sure one cup won’t do any harm,” Charlie answered. “Right, I’ll be back later,” Charlie said before she left the room and caught up with Heath and Darcy. “Hey, mind if I join you for a coffee?” Charlie questioned.

“No that’s fine,” Heath answered. “I hear congratulations are in order.”

“Oh yeah,” Charlie exhaled. “Thanks.”

“You must be pretty fertile,” Heath gave a little chuckle. “You sleep with the guy twice, well you don’t actually sleep with him but you know, I mean -”

“I know what you mean,” Charlie said as she pushed the door to go into the canteen. “I guess he just has good swimmers.”

Heath gave another chuckle as Darcy ran over to pick out what ice cream she wanted. “Do you eh.....is it weird being pregnant with his child again?” Heath questioned. “You know after what happened with how you got Rubes?”

“I don’t think about that,” Charlie shook her head. “This baby is going to save Ruby and that’s all I think about. Not who the father is. It’s irrelevant to me. I love Rubes more than anything and I know I’ll feel the same about this child.”

“Yeah, I’m sure you will,” Heath answered. “Even if it isn’t a match? You know that’s a possibility, right?”

Charlie pursed her lips together as she nodded. “But keeping positive is the best thing I can do right now.” Charlie answered.

“I imagine so,” Heath answered. “This is strange, isn’t it?” Heath questioned.

“What is?” Charlie asked as she put the cup under the machine and pressed the button to get herself a coffee.

“Me and you talking like this,” Heath said as he opened the fridge and took out a can of pop. “It’s strange we seem to be getting on.”

“I guess so, yeah,” Charlie answered. “Not the only thing I find strange though.” Charlie exhaled.

“Oh yeah?” Heath questioned. “What else do you think is strange?” Heath asked as they walked over to the tills, as Darcy ran over with her ice-cream, and paid for their purchases before walking over to a table.

Charlie looked to Darcy before looking back to Heath. “How you can forgive Bianca so easily.” Charlie spoke quietly but Darcy seemed to into her ice-cream to be paying attention to what they were saying anyways.

“I’m sure many people in the bay will think the same,” Heath exhaled. “But I love her and I do believe that people can make mistakes and that she won’t be unfaithful again. I believe in giving her a second chance. God knows I’ve had more than that. She’s forgiven me for things in the past, you know, she looked past my bad background, my involvement in the drugs, and I did walk out on her.”

“But she did the ultimate betrayal. How can you trust her again?” Charlie said before taking a drink of her coffee.

“We’re working at our relationship and the trust will come back,” Heath answered. “It almost has and I love her more than anything so I feel she’s worth trying for.”

“I wish that I could feel the same way, but every time see her I....” Charlie trailed off as she shook her head. “I don’t know maybe one day we’ll be friends again but right now I don’t see it happening.”

“Well I know how much she would like you to be friends again,” Heath said. But I guess that’s your choice to make.”

“Yeah it is.” Charlie exhaled and Heath could see that she was hurting about someone else more.

“You know I can talk to Brax again if you want?” Heath said. “I think he’s an idiot for letting you go in the first place.”

“It doesn’t matter,” Charlie shook head as she lightly rubbed her stomach. “Even if I could find a way to forgive that he slept with Bianca so soon after breaking up with me, he can’t support the baby so it wouldn’t work anyways.”

“Maybe one day he’ll come to his sense,” Heath said. “I know it’s not his kid and yeah it would be hard to support you but I do believe he’ll see that you could be a great little family one day.”

“Well I won’t hold my breath but thanks.” Charlie gave Heath a polite smile before taking another drink of her coffee and couldn’t help but hope that what Heath said held some truth to it, and that there could be a future for her and Brax.

It was now Friday and Charlie and Ruby had returned to the hospital and Charlie had had the test to see if the baby was a match. They were waiting nervously in the room for Sid to return with the test results. “Stop shaking your legs.” Ruby put her hand onto Charlie’s knee, stopping her from moving it.

“Well sorry but I am a little nervous,” Charlie replied. “What if he says the baby isn’t a match? Then this would be all for nothing. I’d have to have this baby for what? I would have ruined my relationship with Brax for nothing and I’m carrying the baby of my rapist. I actually wanted to have his child but I don’t even know if it's going to be a match. God, Brax is right, I am crazy.”

Ruby exhaled lightly. “You wouldn’t be you if you weren’t a little crazy sometimes,” Ruby grinned and Charlie gave a little laugh. “But you’ve been positive that this baby was going to be a match before today, what’s changed?”

“Because we are getting the results,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “And Rubes, as much as we don’t want too, we need to face that this baby might not be a match.”

“Well, but it will be,” Ruby answered. “I know we’re not deeply religious but God wouldn’t be that cruel, would he?” Ruby questioned. “13 no matches is bound to mean the next one would be a match.”

“I hope so,” Charlie rubbed her stomach. “I hope so because if not I don’t know what else we are going to do.”

“Maybe you’ll just need to accept that there is nothing else that we can do.” Ruby said quietly.

“Never,” Charlie shook her head. “I’ll never stop trying and when you’re a mother you’ll understand why,” Ruby exhaled lightly and went to reply but stopped as Sid walked into the room, looking down at the results. “Just tell us,” Charlie looked up at Sid and he could see she was desperate for the results and didn’t need any unnecessary talk.

“It’s a match.” Sid smiled and Charlie breathed out a sigh of relief before pulling her daughter into a hug, as a tear of joy rolled down her cheek.

Archived