A Mothers Love

Guest Danni02

Thank you Laura, beebee, Sarah, Zoe, Kristen, Sabrina, Spotd1 and Cally for the comments. Hope you like this one....

Chapter 11

Charlie turned around the bed and put her hand out, over the space where Brax usually lay. He didn’t come back to bed after Charlie had told him of her plans, Charlie figuring he must have chosen to sleep either on the couch on in the spare room. She exhaled lightly and sat up in the bed as she heard a knock on the door. “Come in,” Charlie said and the door opened and Ruby came walking into the room. “Morning sweetie.”

“Morning,” Ruby smiled as she walked over to the bed and climbed in next to her mother, cuddling close to her. “Romeo and Brax have gone out for a surf, so I thought I’d come lay with you for a while if that’s okay.”

“Of course it is,” Charlie smiled as wrapped her arm around her daughter. “How did you sleep last night?”

“Good,” Ruby smiled. “I had another dream. We were -”

“Sweetheart they are just dreams,” Charlie told her daughter. “They’re not what’s going to happen in the future.”

“I hope this one does,” Ruby answered. “I liked it.”

“Oh,” Charlie sounded intrigued. “What happened then?”

“Romeo and I were sitting on the beach. I was holding a little baby and you and Brax were out in the ocean with a little girl, she’d be 3, maybe 4.” Ruby answered.

“Oh, you and Romeo going to make me a grandparent then?” Charlie asked as she ran her hand through her daughter’s hair. Although Ruby never lost all of her hair with the chemo, it had thinned a lot from the gorgeous thick brown waves she once had.

“They were your kids,” Ruby answered. “At least, I know the baby was. It looked so much like Brax. The girl did look like me so I guess she could have been my daughter,” Ruby looked up to Charlie and gave her a smile. “We had a barbeque and threw a ball around, and then you 3 went off swimming.”

“Sounds like a nice dream,” Charlie said. “Maybe it will be your reality.”

“I hope so, I’d love to be able to be here to marry Romeo and have kids with him.” Ruby smiled.

“You think about that already?” Charlie questioned.

“Well yeah,” Ruby answered. “Don’t you think about that sort of stuff with Brax?”

“I guess so,” Charlie smiled. “I used to see us getting married and having a couple of kids of our own, but now...” Charlie trailed off as she shook her head. “I don’t think it’ll happen.”

“Why not?” Ruby questioned.

“Because I think he is going to leave me.” Charlie answered quietly as Ruby sat up to face her, shocked at her mother’s statement.

“Well why on earth would he do that?” Ruby questioned. “He loves you so much and he told me he planned on spending the rest of his life with you.”

“I know he did, but people can change their minds,” Charlie replied. “We had an argument last night and I’m pretty sure he’s going to leave me.”

“So you had an argument,” Ruby replied. “You just need to sit down and talk about it, apologise, then kiss and make up.”

“If only it was that simple,” Charlie exhaled sadly. She didn’t want her and Brax to be over but she knew if she went ahead with her plans to have a child with Grant that they would, and if the question came up that it was a baby to help save Ruby or a relationship with Brax, she knew she’d chose the baby to save Ruby every time. Charlie took a deep breath before trying to explain things to her daughter. “I’m going to have a baby with Grant.”

Ruby laughed before stopping as she saw the serious look on her mother’s face. “You’re actually serious aren’t you?”

“Of course I am being serious,” Charlie exhaled. “Why on earth would I joke about this?”

“Well its Grant,” Ruby answered. “You can’t have another child with him mum, I won’t let you.”

“It’s not up to you and I’m going to do anything I can to make sure that you get through this alright and having a baby seems like the best option for us.”

“No, mum,” Ruby sounded appalled. “I can’t let you have a baby with the man who raped you. It’s not right.”

“He is your biological father and this is our best chance to find a match for you. I am the adult and you are the child so you will not tell me what I can and cannot do. I am doing this for you, Rubes; I am doing this to save your life.”

“But there must be another way,” Ruby replied. “I’ll wait for the register to find me a donor.”

“Ruby you could wait and wait and wait and never hear anything off the register. This way we’re going to know that you are getting the transplant.” Charlie said as she rubbed her daughter’s arm.

“But do we?” Ruby questioned. “Who said the baby will be a match?”

“They can do genetic testing on the embryos to implant the ones most likely to be a match.” Charlie answered.

“Looks like you are all read up on this then,” Ruby exhaled. “Seems your mind is pretty made up too.”

“It is.” Charlie nodded.

“But I don’t want to break up you and Brax,” Ruby said sadly. “You’re doing this because of me so it’s going to be my fault.”

“No,” Charlie tucked her daughter’s hair behind her ear. “Sweetie, it’s not your fault. I said I was going to do whatever I could to ensure you were okay and this is it. If Brax can’t deal with it then that’s his problem.”

“No,” Ruby shook her head. “You have to promise me to try to make it work with Brax. It’s the only way I am going to let you do this. You need to work something out with him.”

“I don’t think I will can,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “But I don’t want us to be over so I’ll try my best, okay?” Charlie said and Ruby nodded. “Now come give your mother a hug.” Charlie opened her arms out and Ruby fell into them, wrapping her arms tightly around her mother. Charlie placed a soft kiss on her daughters head as she knew that the hardest part of this plan was still to be tackled, and that was convincing Grant to agree to the idea.

Brax was sitting on the surf board, his legs dangling down into the cool ocean water. He exhaled lightly as he thought about Charlie and what she’d told him. He didn’t want to leave her, but he just couldn’t work out how he was going to watch the woman he loved carry another mans child. He knew Charlie only wanted to do this to save her daughter, but he just couldn’t understand it. He couldn’t understand why it had to be Grants child. “You going to surf today at all?” Romeo questioned as he joined Brax, paddling closer to him on his surf board before sitting up on it. “You’ve just sat there with a sad look on your face. Waves not good enough for you?”

“I just have stuff on my mind.” Brax replied.

“Me too,” Romeo exhaled. “But I find being out here on the waves helps.”

“I used to think that too,” Brax sighed. “But not with this.”

“Want to talk about anything?” Romeo questioned. “They do say a problem shared is a problem halved, don’t they?”

Brax sniggered. “Charlie eh....she wants to have a baby to help save Ruby.”

“Oh, like a saviour sibling?” Romeo questioned. “I’ve heard of them. It’s not such a bad idea,” Romeo said. “And you two would get to having kids eventually anyways, right?”

“Yeah, I used to think we would,” Brax answered. “See, she doesn’t want to have the baby with me, a half sibling isn’t good enough. She wants to have the baby with Grant.”

“What?” Romeo questioned, shocked as he rubbed the back of his head. “But he....he was....how can she...”

“My thought exactly mate,” Brax exhaled. “I don’t mind the idea of a baby. I’m happy to have a baby with her but she just won’t accept that as a possibility. She said it has to be Grant. It has to be a full sibling.”

“Well it will give her a better chance of a match,” Romeo exhaled. “But I can’t believe she actually wants to have a baby with him.”

“You and me both,” Brax sighed. “But I....and I hate to say this Romeo, but if she goes through with her plan and has a child with Grant then I can’t stick by her.”

“So what are you saying?” Romeo questioned.

“Me and Charlie,” Brax exhaled. “Well there would be no me and Charlie. We’ll be over.”

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks everyone.

Chapter 12

Charlie and Ruby were sitting in the living room when Brax and Romeo returned from their surf. Ruby saw the glance exchanged from Brax and Charlie and exhaled lightly as she stood up from the couch, and walked over to her boyfriend, taking his hand in hers and pulling him back towards the door. “C’mon I’m talking you out for lunch.” Ruby said as she opened the door.

“But I was just about to -”

“Romeo, we are going.” Ruby said as she pulled him out of the house, closing the door behind her.

“Why do I feel like that was done for our benefit?” Brax questioned as he walked through to the kitchen and pulled a bottle of water from the fridge, before opening it and taking a drink.

“Because it most likely was,” Charlie replied. Brax exhaled lightly as he put the bottle of water down on the worktop and walked back through to the living room taking a seat on the chair. “So, you didn’t come back to bed last night.” Charlie pursed her lips together as she looked at him, but didn’t make direct eye contact.

“No,” Brax shook his head. “I eh.....I was thinking about things and ended up falling asleep on the couch.”

“Thinking about leaving me, you mean?” Charlie questioned sadly. She didn’t want it to come to her and Brax breaking up.

“I don’t want too,” Brax replied. “But I can’t be with you if you are going to have someone else’s child.”

“It’s not like I’ve cheated on you and got pregnant,” Charlie replied. “I want to have this child to save my daughter’s life. She’s slowly dying, Brax,” Charlie raised her voice. “And this seems like the only answer we have to save her life.”

“But it’s not,” Brax answered. “Charlie, there has to be a match out there somewhere. Someone will be a match.”

“Who?” Charlie replied. “Me, you, Romeo, Grant, Bianca, Leah, Miles, April, Dex, Marilyn, Irene and Roo have been tested and aren’t a match. That’s 12 people Brax. 12 People.”

“There’s the register,” Brax replied. “Or we can have a fundraiser for leukaemia and get more people in the community tested.”

“No, Brax,” Charlie shook her head. “She’s my baby and I need to do this,” Charlie pushed back a tear from her eye as she spoke. “I’d rather have your support because I’m going to need help but if you can’t then I understand, but with or without your support, I need to do this.”

Brax pursed his lips together as he rubbed his forehead. “I eh....what about us having kids?” Brax questioned. “I want you to be the mother of my children and -”

“I still can be,” Charlie sniffed back. “Two, three years down the line we can have a whole football team if it’s going to make you happy, but you just need to let me do this first.”

“You’re not going to change your mind about this are you?” Brax questioned and Charlie shook her head as she looked up to him. Brax exhaled lightly. “Right, well you can talk to Grant and if he says no then maybe we could try,” Brax told her. “A half sibling could still be a match, right?” Brax questioned and Charlie nodded.

“But if he says yes?” Charlie asked.

“I don’t know,” Brax exhaled. He knew he’d just told Romeo that they would be over, but he didn’t really want them to be. “I eh, I’ll try. I will try Charlie, because I don’t want to lose you.” Charlie smiled lightly, hearing Brax would try to sick by her. “But I don’t think it’ll be easy.”

“Well thank you for supporting me, I really appreciate it,” Charlie said. “And I’d rather not be doing this, but for Rubes, I need to. I need to do it for Rubes.”

“If you say so,” Brax mumbled. “And a whole football team worth of kids?” Brax raised his eyebrows surprised.

“Well no,” Charlie gave a little laugh. “I’ll have two,” Charlie said. “How does two sound?”

“I always wanted two kids.” Brax answered.

“Well technically you would have 4,” Charlie answered. “There’s Ruby and the baby I want to have with Grant will need a father.”

“So, Grant wouldn’t be around?” Brax questioned.

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “I don’t want him to have anything to do to with the child.”

“You’re going to be asking an awful lot of him,” Brax said. “Do you think he’s going to agree to this?”

“He will,” Charlie replied. “Once I’m through talking with him.” Charlie exhaled as she thought about going into the city to talk to Grant about her plans.

Ruby and Romeo were sitting with April and Dexter in the diner, enjoying their lunch as talk turned to April and Dexter going away for the weekend. “So, you taking her to a nice posh hotel?” Ruby questioned.

“Oh really posh,” Dexter smiled. “Green walls, bug net, the works.”

“Ah you are going camping,” Romeo said as he took a drink of his milkshake. “Where you going?”

“Not sure yet,” Dexter shook his head. “We’ll just drive and see where we turn up.”

“Apparently Dex here thinks we are going to hunt for food.” April rolled her eyes.

“Well you need to get into the spirit of camping.” Dex told his girlfriend.

“Well I’m sure we can without hunting for food,” April answered. “Maybe we could give fishing a go though.”

Romeo laughed lightly. “Sounds like you two might go hungry.”

“Not with a car boot full of junk food,” Dexter answered. “Hey, you and Rubes should come with us. It would be fun.”

“Yeah?” Romeo questioned. “You think you’d be up for that Rubes?”

“Sounds good,” Ruby smiled. “I don’t know if my mum will let me go though,” Ruby answered. “But I’ll wait till she is in a good mood and ask her. Would be nice to get away from hospitals and drugs and blood tests and things for a few days.”

“And if you don’t feel up to it or start to feel unwell we can just come home,” April smiled at her friend. “We won’t go too far away.”

“It’ll be nice to get a few days just to chill out together eh,” Romeo smiled at his girlfriend. “Just take it easy.”

“Yeah,” Ruby smiled. “But like I say, I’ll need to ask my mum.”

“Well I hope she says yes,” April smiled. “Would be nice to have my best mate there,” April gave Ruby a glance. “And someone other than Dex for company.” April gave her boyfriend a cheeky grin.

Dexter looked offended as he glared at April. “I seem to recall you have been enjoying my company a little bit more these last few days,” Dexter said and Ruby laughed as she saw April blush. “But hey if you don’t want to go camping with me, me and Romeo will make it a lads only trip.”

“I don’t know whether to agree to getting rid of you for a few days or be worried that you seem to want to spend time alone with Romeo in a tent.” April said.

“What can I say, April?” Romeo questioned. “Everyone wants a piece of me.”

Ruby laughed as looked around to her boyfriend. “Good job you only have eyes for me then isn’t it?”

“Mmm,” Romeo smiled as he leaned forward and placed a soft kiss on her lips. “Good job indeed.” Romeo pulled back and wrapped his arm around her, and smiled, thinking it might be good for Ruby to get away for a few days, and only hoped her mother would think the same.

Thanks for the comments. :wub:

Chapter 13

Charlie was busy in the kitchen when Ruby came home. “Mmm, something smells nice.” Ruby smiled as she walked into view and over to the cooker where Charlie was stirring something on the hob.

“Okay, what do you want?” Charlie questioned as she put the wooden spoon down onto the worktop and turned to face her daughter.

“Can’t a girl compliment her mother’s cooking without being accused of wanting something?” Ruby questioned.

“Not when it’s my cooking,” Charlie replied. “C’mon, spill.”

Ruby took a deep breath. “Well April and Dex are going camping and were wondering if me and Romeo wanted to go with them.” Ruby told her mother, before giving her a sweet smile.

“And I guess you want to go?” Charlie questioned.

“I do,” Ruby nodded. “Please mum.” Ruby clasped her hands together.

Charlie pursed he lips together as she shook her head. “I don’t think it’s a good idea sweetheart.”

“Why?” Ruby questioned. “Mum, I feel fine. Please just let me be a normal teenager for one weekend. Please.” Ruby kept her hands clasped together as she pouted.

“Yeah you might feel fine just now Ruby, but you said that last week and you ended up back in hospital and then we got told that you needed this transplant and -”

“Hey hey mum,” Ruby stepped forward and rubbed Charlie’s arms as she saw her mother well up with tears. “It’s okay. If you don’t want me to go, then I won’t,” Ruby sighed. “I don’t want to upset you any more than you already are. I just thought the time away from the bay, some nice fresh air and chilling with my mates would be good for me.” Charlie looked into her daughters eyes and could see this was something Ruby really wanted.

Charlie exhaled lightly before biting her lip. “How long is this trip for?”

“Uhm, we’d leave on Thursday and come home on Monday.” Ruby answered.

“You leave on Friday and come home on Sunday. You call me twice a day to let me know that you are feeling okay and if you so much as sneeze, I want you to come home, okay?” Charlie said and Ruby smiled as she nodded her head.

“Yes, I promise,” Ruby cheered as she gave her mother a hug. “Thank you so much.”

Charlie smiled as she placed a soft kiss on her daughters head. “You’re welcome, but I mean it, twice a day Rubes.”

“Yeah yeah,” Ruby answered. “I’ll call twice a day I promise.”

“Thank you,” Charlie said. “And you’re right, I do think some time with your friends being a normal teenager will be good for you.”

Ruby smiled as she pulled back from the hug. “So, how was your chat with Brax? Please tell me you two will be okay?”

Charlie sighed lightly. “I think so. He doesn’t like the idea, I know that for sure, but he said he’ll try.”

“So where is he now?” Ruby questioned. “You two should be enjoying every minute you get to yourselves right now considering you’ll be growing a new bubba in here soon.” Ruby smiled as she rubbed Charlie’s stomach.

Charlie exhaled lightly as she moved Ruby’s hand from her stomach. “He said he needed to pop into work early today.”

“Oh, okay,” Ruby said. “So, are you really going to make me eat this thing you are trying to cook or do you want to go to the restaurant for dinner?” Ruby questioned.

Charlie laughed lightly as she tuned the hob off. “How about I go get some pizza and you hunt out the DVD’s and we’ll have a nice night in?”

“Yeah,” Ruby smiled. “You’ve got yourself a deal there mother.”

“Okay, I might pop in to see Bianca first for a little bit, but I’ll try and not be too long.”

“Sure, I’ll go hunt out some DVD’s.” Ruby smiled as she disappeared out of the kitchen and Charlie followed, picking her wallet up from the living room on the way out of the house.

“Thanks.” Brax smiled as she handed him the cup of the coffee before taking a seat next to him on the couch.

“So, she’s really wanting to have a baby with him?” Bianca was shocked at what Brax had told her.

“Yep,” Brax nodded. “She’s adamant too. There is no changing her mind.”

“Wow.” Bianca exhaled. “I didn’t expect that.”

“You and me both,” Brax answered. “Am I stupid for sticking by her?” Brax looked up at Bianca as he ran his finger around the rim of the coffee cup.

“Well you love her,” Bianca answered. “You’re going to want to do whatever you can to help her.”

“I don’t know, Bianca,” Brax shook his head. “I don’t want to leave her and I’ve just told her I won’t but if she does go through with this.....” Brax trailed off. “Well we’ll see.”

“Brax,” Bianca exhaled. “Surely you can make it work.”

“It’s her rapist’s baby,” Brax raised his voice. “It’s idiotic.”

“Her daughter has leukaemia,” Bianca said softly. “She’s not going to be thinking that straight right now. She just wants to do what she can to save her. God knows if anything happened to Rocco I would do anything to save him.”

“I guess,” Brax exhaled. “But I don’t think she realises that she actually has to carry this child and raise it.”

“I’m sure she does,” Bianca exhaled. “And it’s probably been a really hard choice for her to make. She hates Grant for what he did and she’s still scared of him so deciding to have his baby would probably have been huge for her. I think she’s being very brave.”

“Well I think she is being stupid,” Brax spat. “Doesn’t she realise she is going to destroy her relationship with me?”

“Right now Brax and I’m sorry to say it, but her relationship with you is probably going to come second,” Bianca said tentatively. “She won’t mean it, but her daughter is sick and she is going to be her priority.”

“That’s what I am finding hard to take as well,” Brax exhaled. He felt bad for admitting it, but he couldn’t help how he felt. “She doesn’t have much time for me anymore.”

“You need to be there for her Brax,” Bianca told him. “She’s needs you. She may not show it, but just knowing that she has you there is going to help her. Can you really imagine leaving her when her daughter has leukaemia?” Bianca questioned. “Imagine what people would think of you.”

“Think of me?” Brax questioned. “What about what people are going to think when they find out she is having Grant’s baby instead of mines.”

“To save her daughter,” Bianca said. “Do you really think she’d want to have a baby with anyone other than you if Ruby wasn’t sick?”

“I don’t know what to think anymore Bianca.” Brax shook his head as Rocco’s cries could be heard from the baby monitor.

“I need to see to him,” Bianca stood up from the couch, placing her coffee down on the coffee table. “I’ll be right back.” Bianca said before disappearing up the stairs. Brax exhaled lightly as he sat back in the couch and rubbed his forehead. He opened his mouth slightly, thinking about what he should do before a knock at the door interrupted his thoughts. He placed his coffee cup down on the coffee table and walked over to the door, opening it to see Charlie standing at the other side.

“Brax?” Charlie questioned. “What are you doing here? I thought you said you were going to work?” Brax stood and looked at his girlfriend his mouth open slightly, before going to reply.

Thanks everyone for the lovely comments. Hope you like this one, I'm not so sure... :unsure:

Chapter 14

“Well?” Charlie questioned as she stepped into the house, closing the door behind her. “You know this silence isn’t doing you any favours.”

“I just needed someone to talk too,” Brax replied as he gently rubbed the back of his head. “This is huge, okay, and I just needed to offload onto someone.”

“Okay, fine, I can understand that but why did you need to lie to me about it?” Charlie questioned. “You could have just told me you were going to talk to Bianca instead of lying.”

“Well I’ve been around here a lot more lately,” Brax answered as he looked away from Charlie. “I didn’t want you getting the wrong idea.”

“You’re my boyfriend,” Charlie replied. “I love you and I trust you. She’s my best friend and has a baby with your brother. I wouldn’t have thought anything of it.”

“Sorry,” Brax exhaled. “I shouldn’t have lied to you. I just didn’t want to upset you by letting you know I was talking to someone else about how I felt and not you.”

Charlie pursed her lips together before taking a deep breath. “This isn’t easy,” Charlie shook her head. “I hate what I’m doing to us, but, for Rubes this has to be done because I would never forgive myself if I didn’t do this and I lost her. And I know that I’m asking a lot from you so if you need to talk to other people then that’s fine, but I would like you to be honest with me,” Brax smiled lightly as he thought about stepping forward and showing Charlie some sort of affection, by rubbing her arm, or giving her a soft kiss, but something stopped him. Charlie looked up to him and when she saw he wasn’t going to reply, she spoke again. “So I was going to go in to talk to Grant tomorrow,” Charlie said quietly. “I eh, I know it’s a long shot but I’d really appreciate it if you were able to come with me. I could use the support.”

Brax sniggered lightly. “No, I eh....I’m not coming.” Charlie pursed her lips together as she nodded her head.

“Okay,” Charlie tried her hardest not to show her upset. “I understand.”

“Was someone at the door?” Charlie and Brax heard Bianca’s voice as she walked back down the stairs, her son now awake and sitting happily in her arms. “Ah, hey Charlie.” Bianca smiled as she saw her friend.

“Hey.” Charlie smiled.

“Can I get you a coffee?” Bianca questioned.

“She can drink mine,” Brax said. “I need to go to work,” Brax stepped closer to Bianca and lightly tickled Rocco’s cheek, resulting in a little laugh from the boy. “I’ll come and see you soon buddy,” Brax cooed. “See you Bianca.” Brax said before he left the house, not even bothering to say goodbye to his girlfriend.

“I’ve ruined us,” Charlie said as she felt herself welling up with tears. “He’s told you my plans right?” Charlie questioned and Bianca nodded as she put Rocco down on the play mat before taking a seat on the couch as Charlie sat down next to her.

“He mentioned them,” Bianca said. “And he is trying, Charlie, he’s trying to deal with this.”

“Do you think I am doing the right thing?” Charlie questioned.

Bianca pursed her lips together, unsure how to answer. “I think as a mother you’re willing to anything to save your child.” Bianca answered.

“You know I asked him to come with me tomorrow, when I need to see Grant again,” Charlie took a deep breath. “He’s not coming,” Charlie shook her head. “That kinda shows what kind of place Brax and I are in now.”

“I’m sorry,” Bianca answered. “I could come with you if you wanted?”

“Nah its okay I couldn’t ask you to do that,” Charlie shook her head. “You have Rocco and you’re own troubles at the moment.”

“It would be a welcome distraction,” Bianca smiled weakly. “And Rocco can stay with Nana Irene. He’ll probably love it, she spoils him rotten.”

“No it’s okay,” Charlie shook her head. “I guess if I am going to carry his child I need to face him on my own.”

“Charlie,” Bianca exhaled lightly. “Are you sure this is what you want to do?”

“Of course it’s not what I want,” Charlie answered. “I mean would you want to have your rapist’s baby?” Charlie questioned and Bianca shook her head lightly in response. “I need to do this for Ruby. It’s the only way left to save her.”

“Well that’s not entirely true,” Bianca said. “There’s the register.”

“I can’t just rely on that,” Charlie answered. “To be waiting and waiting on something that we may never hear.”

“Fair enough,” Bianca exhaled. “But are you going to be able to raise and love this baby when it came from Grant?”

“I love Ruby don’t I?” Charlie questioned. “And this child is going to save its sister’s life. Of course I’ll love it.”

Bianca pursed her lips together. Charlie was already talking as if this child was match and the transplant would be a success, whereas in reality it may not go that way, but of course Bianca couldn’t say that to Charlie right now. And she didn’t even want to bring up the fact that Grant needed to agree to this and she needed to get pregnant first before anything else was possible. “Sorry, of course you will. So you seem certain Grant will say yes.”

“Yeah,” Charlie nodded. “I’m going to make sure of that, don’t you worry.”

“Well, I’m always going to be here if you need me.” Bianca said, as she gave her friend a smile.

“Thanks,” Charlie smiled as she stood up from the couch. “I need to go pick up some dinner for me and Rubes. We’re having a pizza and DVD night.”

“Ah sounds great,” Bianca smiled. “Tell her I’m asking for her and I’ll come visit soon.” Bianca smiled as she too stood up from the couch and walked over to the door with her friend.

“I will and thanks.” Charlie smiled.

“Anytime.” Bianca gave her friend a hug goodbye before closing the door and looking round to her son who was looking up at the rattle on the play mat, his hand knocking it back and forth. She smiled lightly as she walked over and picked him up, and smiled as she saw so much of Heath in him. “Let’s try calling your daddy again hmm, maybe we’ll be lucky and get an answer this time.” Bianca said softly as she began hunting around the living room for her mobile.

Thank you for the comments. I hope you like this one.... :unsure:

Chapter 15

Charlie was sitting in the café, running her hand around the rim on her coffee cup, trying to pluck up the courage to talk. “You know I only told Tracy I was popping out for a few things,” Grant said. “So, I don’t have all day so would appreciate it if you spoke.”

“Sorry,” Charlie spoke quietly. “I eh....” Charlie took a deep breath. “Well you know we haven’t found a match for Ruby yet,” Charlie said. “I have this idea that I think will....well will be able to save her life.”

“Oh,” Grant raised his eyebrows. “And what’s that?”

“I have.....we have a child together.” Charlie pursed her lips together as she looked up at Grant, who looked completely stunned at what she said.

“I’m sorry,” Grant laughed. “It sounded like you said you want us to have a baby?”

“I did,” Charlie answered. “Saviour siblings they are called,” As Charlie spoke she reached into her bag and pulled out the information she’d printed off and handed it to him. “What do you think?” Charlie asked as he scanned it over.

“I think you’re off your head,” Grant laughed. “A baby, seriously?”

“If it’s going to save Ruby I would do anything,” Charlie told him. “You wouldn’t need to be involved,” Charlie shook her head. “I’d do everything myself and I wouldn’t ask for a penny from you. I just need your sperm.”

“And why can’t you just have a baby with your boyfriend?” Grant questioned.

“He’s not Ruby’s father,” Charlie answered. “There’s much more chance that we get a match if we have a child together.”

Grant ran his hand through his hair as he exhaled. “This is crazy.”

“No, it’s not,” Charlie became close to tears. “It’s going to save my Ruby’s life. We need to do this. You still have your wife and your kids; you can go back to that life and have no worries at all, but me?” Charlie hit her chest. “My baby girl is sick. She is dying and I’m pretty sure Brax is going to leave me so I’m not going to have him in my life much longer, so if I lose Ruby too, I’ll have no one. Please Grant. I can’t lose my daughter. Please do this for me. After what you did to me, you owe me this. I’ve not gone to the police about what you did, you’ve got off with it and this is your chance to make it up to me. Please Grant, please.” Charlie pleaded with him.

Grant exhaled lightly as he looked into Charlie’s eyes. He’d never seen anyone want anything so badly before. “So, suppose I said yes,” Grant said. “What happens? You don’t expect us to have sex, do you?”

“Of course not,” Charlie looked disgusted at his question. “We’d get IVF. There’s more chance of finding a match that way.”

“Right,” Grant nodded. “And what if Tracy finds out?”

“She’s wouldn’t,” Charlie shook her head. “We go to the clinic, get tests done, give them our stuff, any address or contact numbers they need will be mine, she won’t find out.”

Grant pursed his lips together. “So they just give IVF to any two people do they?”

“Well no,” Charlie exhaled before biting her lip. “We’d eh.....we’d need to pretend we are couple when we are at the clinic.”

“And if you did get pregnant what would happen with the baby?” Grant questioned.

“It would be my baby,” Charlie answered. “I wouldn’t want you in its life. I wouldn’t ask for a penny, for nothing.” Charlie shook her head.

“And I don’t get a say in that?” Grant questioned. “This would be my child too.”

“How would you get another child around Tracy?” Charlie questioned. “It’s best if you just stay out of our lives. You live here in the city with your family; I’ll live in the bay with Rubes and the baby.

“And these are your conditions?” Grant questioned. “And I’m supposed to just agree to them?” Charlie nodded lightly and Grant saw she was serious. He exhaled lightly as she ran his hand through his hair and something Charlie said earlier kept running through his head. After what you did to me, you owe me this. He took a deep breath feeling Charlie was saying the truth. He did owe her after what he did to her. “Oh God this is crazy,” Grant shook his head. “But okay, I’ll do it.”

Ruby and Romeo were walking around the store in the mall, looking for stuff they needed for the camping trip. “So, what do we actually need?”

“A tent.” Romeo laughed.

“I thought you said you had one?” Ruby questioned.

“I thought I did, but then I remembered Jai and I once used it and it got wrecked so we left it at the camping place.” Romeo answered as they walked over to the tents out on display.

“I see,” Ruby nodded. “Speaking of Jai, have you heard from him lately?”

“Nah,” Romeo shook his head. “He’s just kinda disappeared.”

“Well he didn’t disappear. He went to Japan.” Ruby said.

“Well yeah but he was only supposed to be there for 6 months,” Romeo said. “He’s been gone much longer than that. It’s like he just disappeared into a black Japanese hole.”

Ruby laughed lightly. “Well if he likes it out there why not?” Ruby questioned. “I would love to see Japan, Thailand, America, Europe. I’d love to travel the world.”

“Yeah, it would be good eh,” Romeo smiled. “Maybe when you are all better and we are done with school we could head off for a year, see where we end up?”

“Okay, firstly a whole year?” Ruby widened her eyes. “Are we going to win the lottery?”

Romeo laughed. “We can do budget. You know camp out on the beach, eat cheaply, stuff like that,” Romeo said. “Make it a real adventure.”

“Sounds amazing, but you know how protective my mum is,” Ruby said. “You think she’d let me go off travelling?”

“Well you’d be 18, maybe even 19 by the time we’d do it,” Romeo answered. “So, she couldn’t really stop you and as long as you call regularly and let her know we’re okay I’m sure she’d love you to go out and experience life.”

“Well I think you are very optimistic,” Ruby laughed. “And I need to beat this cancer thing first.” Ruby spoke quietly as she bowed her head down.

“Hey,” Romeo put his hand on her chin and gently pushed her head up to face him again. “You’re going to get through this. You’re mum is going to have this baby and not only will you be fine but you’re going to have a new brother or sister.”

“Yeah,” Ruby smiled lightly. “I always wanted a little brother.”

“Well you might just have one.” Romeo said and once again Ruby gave him a weak smile.

“So, anyways, we need a tent and I guess a sleeping bag of some sort.” Ruby said as she began walking down the shop again.

“A sleeping bag?” Romeo questioned. “I was thinking we just take a light blanket. It’s the middle of summer; it’s probably going to be roasting in a tent.”

“But I’m always cold right now,” Ruby answered. “So, I think I need a sleeping bag. You know with the amount of drugs that’s been put into my body lately, my body is a bit crap at regulating the right temperature.”

As Ruby spoke a sales person walked passed giving her a glance as she spoke about taking drugs. Romeo laughed lightly at the look of shock on her face as she kept walking. “Way to make the sales girl think you are a junkie.”

“She shouldn’t be eavesdropping.” Ruby said.

“I don’t think she was,” Romeo replied. “She just happened to be walking past as you spoke.”

“Well she can come and see my drawer full of drugs then she really would be shocked.” Ruby said.

Romeo laughed lightly as he shook his head. “C’mon, let’s go find you this sleeping bag.” Romeo said as he took Ruby’s hand into his and walked down the shop with her.

Thank you caroline77, beebee, Sarah, Kristen, JosieTash, Red Ranger 1, Spotd1 and Zoe.

Chapter 16

Charlie walked into the house where she saw Brax in the kitchen making himself some dinner. “Hi,” Charlie spoke quietly as she walked into view, already sensing the tension between the two. Brax looked up to Charlie and smiled weakly before turning his attention back to the steak that he had under the grill. Charlie exhaled lightly as she watched him dishing up his potatoes and veg before turning the grill off and plating up his steak. “I take it you didn’t make me any dinner?”

“Didn’t know what time you were getting home.” Brax replied as he walked over to the table and put his plate down, before waking back over to the fridge, pulling out a bottle of beer.

“I told you I’d be home in time for dinner,” Charlie mumbled as Brax unscrewed the cap and threw it into the sink before walking back over to the table and taking a seat. “Is Rubes home or is she still out with Romeo?”

“She’s at Romeo’s,” Brax answered as he cut off a piece of his steak. “Want to tell her Grant is going to knock you up?” Brax scoffed. “Or maybe he is sane and isn’t going to?”

Charlie took a deep breath as she tried to compose herself. “He is,” Charlie answered. “He eh, he understands that I need to do this to save Ruby. I don’t have a choice Brax, and I don’t like that I have to do this, but there’s no other way. You heard Sid. We could wait and wait and never hear for months, maybe longer. If I do nothing.....well, Ruby might not have that long.”

“And are you going to have some super-fast pregnancy where the baby will be here next week?” Brax questioned. “You’re not even pregnant yet then you need to wait 9 months till the baby is born. Surely in that time you’ll find a match.”

“I’m not saying that we need to stop looking once I get pregnant,” Charlie answered. “Ruby may well get a match, but what’s to say the treatment would be a success? What’s to say in the future she won’t relapse and need some other sort of treatment? This child still has the chance to save her even if it is further down the line.”

“If it’s a match and if that treatment would be a success,” Brax said as he looked up to Charlie. “There’s an awful lot of if’s there, Charlie and are you really willing to throw us away for that?”

“Why can’t you understand that I need to do whatever I can to save Ruby?” Charlie questioned, feeling herself welling up. “I know how hard this must be for you but I.....I thought you’d understand. I thought....I thought maybe in the future that you’d learn to love this baby because it would be a part of me.”

Brax sniggered. “I’m trying Charlie.” Brax said crossly as he glared up at her.

“No, no you’re not,” Charlie shook her head. “All you’ve done is tell me it’s the wrong thing to do, try to stop me from doing this. I don’t think you’ve once thought about how hard this is for me or for Ruby. I need to do this to save my girls life. And I can’t do it alone. I need your support Brax, I need you. The Brax I know and love is kind and caring and you’d do anything for your brothers and in the past you have and I've supported that, but the minute I need to do something for Ruby, it’s not supported. I thought you’d get this.”

“Well obviously I’m not who you thought I was,” Brax said as he stood up from the table and took a large swig of his beer before banging it down on the table. “I’m going for a walk; eat that if you want, it’ll just go to waste if not.” Brax said as he walked out of the room and through the house to the front door with Charlie following him.

“Going to Bianca’s you mean?” Charlie spat. Brax looked up at Charlie briefly before opening the front door and walking out, slamming it shut. Charlie walked back through to the kitchen and picked the plate of almost untouched food up and threw it against the wall as she screamed out in frustration.

Brax knocked lightly on the open back door to Bianca’s house before walking in. “Hello Bianca?” Brax questioned as he walked into the house.

“I’m up the stairs,” Bianca shouted and Brax walked through the house and up the stairs, finding Bianca in the bathroom, lifting her son out of the bath and wrapping him up in his towel. “Hey,” Bianca smiled as she turned to face Brax, a part of her glad to see him. “Not that it’s not nice to get some company other than this little guy, but what are you doing here?”

“Just needed to get away from the house for a while,” Brax exhaled. “Charlie is back from the city and....well pretty soon she is going to be Charlie and bub.”

Bianca exhaled lightly. “It’s just something she has to do,” Bianca said. “For her daughter.”

“Yeah so she keeps saying,” Brax murmured. “So, how’s the little guy today?” Brax cooed as he rubbed his cheek causing Rocco let out babbles of excitement as he tried to wave his arms out, but was unable to do so being wrapped up in his towel.

“He’s been a Mr Grumpy,” Bianca replied as she walked through to the nursery with Brax following behind her. She lay him down on the changing table as she applied him with some lotion before reaching for a nappy. “So, I got in touch with Heath last night,” Bianca looked up to Brax briefly, who raised his eyebrows in surprise. “He didn’t talk much, just said he needed more time but he missed Rocco like crazy and then let me talk to Darcy for a few minutes. She misses us and wants to come home,” Bianca sighed sadly as she pressed down the tabs on her son’s nappy. “Can you pass me that?” Bianca pointed to Rocco’s sleep suit that was hanging over the edge of the cot. Brax walked over to it and picked it up, running his hand over the little dinosaur on the right hand side. He gave a little smile, before handing it to Bianca and watched as she got her son dressed for bed. “You know babies aren’t all that bad.” Bianca said as she fastened the buttons of the sleep suit.

“I know they’re not,” Brax replied. “It’s just whose baby she is going to be having.”

“Brax -” Bianca went to talk but Brax cut her off.

“Anyways, you said Heath picked up,” Brax said. “So, he did he give an indication of when he would come home?”

“No,” Bianca shook her head as she lifted Rocco into her arms. “But if he thinks I am just going to let him come home and go back to being happy families he can think again.” Bianca rubbed her sons back as he snuggled into her shoulder as he yawned.

“So, you’re going to end it with him when he comes back?” Brax asked.

“Well I don’t know about that....he might have already ended it with me, I really don’t know but I’m just saying we’ve got a lot of talking to do,” Bianca placed her son down in the cot and lightly rubbed his forehead. “Right, mummy is going to get your milk ready then she’ll be back.” Bianca smiled down at her son before leaving the room, with Brax once again following her out and down the stairs into the kitchen where she put the kettle on to boil to get hot water to warm up the milk. She exhaled lightly as Brax saw she was trying to compose herself.

“It’s really getting to you, isn’t it?” Brax took a step forward as he put his hand on her shoulder comfortingly.

“It’s hurting Rocco,” Bianca answered. “He needs his father. Right now I don’t know what I want to happen with me and Heath, but Rocco needs him. He needs to stop being so selfish and come home and be with his son.” Bianca’s tone was angry as she looked like she was going cry.

“Hey hey,” Brax rubbed Bianca’s arms as he looked down to her. “He will.”

“Is it me?” Bianca questioned. “Am I that bad to live with? To be with? Am I not attractive enough? Am I not -”

“Bianca, you are gorgeous.” Brax put her hair behind her ear as he smiled lightly, the pair of them gazing into each other’s eyes. Bianca pursed her lips together as Brax rested his hand against her cheek, rubbing it gently. Bianca gave a nervous smile as Brax moved closer to her, their bodies now pressed together. They moved in for a kiss, their lips almost touching as Rocco’s cries could be heard from the baby monitor. Bianca cleared her throat as she pulled away, looking away from Brax.

“I need to get his bottle ready.” Bianca mumbled.

“Yeah,” Brax cleared his throat. “I eh...I should leave.” Brax pointed over to door before he turned around and walked away quickly. Bianca poured the boiling water from the kettle into a jug before taking the bottle of milk from the fridge and placing it in the jug. She rested her elbows on the worktop and held her face in her hands and exhaled, wondering what the hell just happened between her and Brax.

Thanks everyone. Not so sure about this one, hope you think it's okay....

Chapter 17

Charlie was sitting on the couch when Ruby and Romeo returned to the house. “Oh no,” Ruby muttered as she saw her mother sitting on the couch with a tub of ice cream, tears rolling down her cheeks as she watched a movie. “Mum is everything okay?” Charlie looked up to Ruby slightly stunned.

“Rubes, I didn’t even hear you come in.” Charlie said as Romeo walked through to the kitchen to get a drink.

Ruby smiled lightly as she joined her mother on the couch. “I take it Grant said no?” Ruby questioned as she lightly rubbed her mother’s arm.

“What makes you think that?” Charlie questioned as she turned the volume down on the TV and cleared her throat to compose herself.

“Well you’re eating ice cream straight from the tub, you have a weepy movie on and you’re crying.” Ruby said as she leaned forward and wiped her hand over her mother’s cheek, wiping away the tears.

“Just because of the movie,” Charlie said, trying to sound believable, whereas in truth she was crying at the state of her relationship with Brax. “But, I have good news when it comes to the baby, because Grant is going to do it.”

Ruby couldn’t help but smile at the news. “So, I’m getting a brother or sister?”

“Yeah.” Charlie nodded lightly.

Ruby let out a little squeal. “I don’t entirely love the circumstances that’s brought you to have this baby, but, is it wrong that I am excited for this?” Ruby questioned.

“Not at all,” Charlie answered as she rubbed her daughter’s cheek. “People are supposed to be excited when it comes to having babies, right?”

“Well I’d say so,” Ruby answered. “So where is Brax?”

“He’s eh....had to pop into work for a few hours,” Charlie lied. “So, you get everything you needed for camping then?”

“Yeah,” Ruby nodded her head. “I should probably go to pack soon, but Romeo is all packed already so can he stay over tonight before we leave tomorrow?”

Charlie exhaled lightly before she nodded. “Yeah that’s fine,” Charlie answered as Ruby gave a yawn. “You look exhausted; maybe you should go get some rest so you’re feeling your best for this trip away.”

“Yeah,” Ruby answered. “I am pretty tired actually. See you in the morning.” Ruby said as she gave her mother a hug, with Charlie placing a kiss on her daughters head before she walked off up the stairs, just as Romeo came back into the room with a cup of coffee in his hand.

“Sorry, I should have probably offered to make you one, right?” Romeo questioned.

“No, you’re fine,” Charlie answered. “I don’t want one. So, how was Ruby today?” Charlie questioned as she leaned forward and put the ice cream tub down on the coffee table as Romeo took a seat on the armchair.

“She was excited,” Romeo gave a little laugh. “I think this camping trip is really keeping her spirits up and it means a lot to her and to me that you are letting her go.”

“Well I just hope you realise I am putting a lot of trust into your Romeo, and if you get the slightest inkling that she's not 100 per cent I want you to bring her home."

“Yeah, of course,” Romeo answered before taking a drink of his coffee. “But I think it’ll do her good being away from here for a few days.”

“Yes, I think so too,” Charlie replied. “But I’m always going to worry when it comes to my daughter, even more so now, so you have to promise me that you are going to look after her.”

“You have my word, Charlie,” Romeo said. “So, is Brax really at work or?” Romeo spoke tentatively not sure if it was his place to ask or not.

Charlie shook her head lightly as she pursed her lips together. “No I eh....I told him Grant was going to have the baby with me and he stormed out in his poor little Brax routine.”

Romeo exhaled lightly. “I know that it must be hard for him. I mean I know if I was in his shoes I wouldn’t be thrilled at the idea of my girlfriend having a baby with her rapists....her exes....her....well you know what I mean,” Romeo said. “But it just seems like he is only thinking about himself and not you or even Rubes. This can only be a good thing and I only wish Brax would see that.”

“You and me both,” Charlie sighed. “But, it’s too late, he’s eh.....well he’s been sleeping the spare room the last few days, he doesn’t tell me he loves me, he’s stopped being affectionate and all we’ve done is argue about the baby. The baby that I am going to have regardless because Ruby is my whole world and I am not going to throw away a chance I have to save her,” Charlie sniffed. “It just seems like he doesn’t want to be around me anymore and I think it’s only a matter of days before he leaves.”

“And you don’t think there’s anything you can do to stop that?” Romeo questioned. “I know Ruby would hate for you to break up. Especially over the baby that you are having to save her.”

“The only thing I can think is to not have the baby,” Charlie answered. “And there’s no way I won’t. This has to be done for Rubes and at the end of the day if I am going to have to choose between my boyfriend and my daughter, well.....Ruby’s always going to come out on top.”

“Yeah, I’m sure she would,” Romeo answered. “So I take it you’re not going to tell Ruby your worries right now?”

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “She won’t go on the camping trip if I do or it’ll just upset her and she won’t enjoy herself as much so until you get back I’m not saying anything.”

“You might be wrong,” Romeo said softly. “Maybe he won’t break up with you.”

“I’d put good money on it, Romeo, we’re not going to last much longer,” Charlie said. “I’m going to try but...” Charlie trailed off as she shook her head. “It’s pretty obvious where we are going.”

Romeo opened his mouth to reply but stopped as the door opened and Brax walked back into the house. “I eh....” Romeo spoke quietly as he saw the glance shared between Charlie and Brax. “Did Ruby ask if it was okay for me to stay over?”

“Yeah,” Charlie nodded. “It’s fine, you can go up,” Romeo smiled lightly before he walked off up the stairs leaving Charlie and Brax to talk. “So how was Bianca tonight?” Charlie questioned as she looked up to Brax.

“What makes you so sure I was there?” Brax asked defensively.

“Well where else were you?” Charlie asked.

“She was good.” Brax sighed as he rubbed his forehead, not being able to get the idea of kissing Bianca out of his head.

“Brax, can you....can you sit down?” Charlie questioned as she looked up to Brax who was still standing by the door. He exhaled as he walked over to the armchair and took a seat. “I eh....I love you so much and I hate what’s happening with us. I just want us to be okay.”

Brax sniggered. “Don’t have the baby and we will be.”

“I can’t do that,” Charlie shook her head. “Ruby is my daughter and she is sick and I need to do whatever I can to help save her life. If I didn’t do this and she....” Charlie took a deep breath, trying to compose herself. “And she didn’t make it I would never forgive myself.”

“And what if you have this baby and she still doesn’t make it?” Brax questioned. “Do you think it’s going to make it any easier for you to grieve for her?”

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “But I’ll know that I tried everything I could to save her. Brax please put yourself in my shoes. Try to understand how I feel and why I am doing this instead of telling me it’s not right and.....and leaving me.”

“I can’t Charlie,” Brax raised his voice. “Because I don’t have a child so I am never going to understand what you’re feeling or why on earth you want to do this ridiculous thing.”

Charlie nodded lightly as a tear rolled down her cheek. “So eh.....are you still going to try to make this work with me or....” Charlie bit her lip as she didn’t want to finish the question.

“I don’t know if we’ll get passed this, Charlie,” Brax stood up from the chair as he shook his head. “In fact, I know we won’t can.” Brax said before disappearing up the stairs and Charlie jumped in fright as she heard the door slam shut before hiding her head in her hands as she cried.

Thanks everyone for the comments. :wub:

Chapter 18

Charlie was in the kitchen making breakfast when Brax appeared in the room. “I was just about to call you,” Charlie put on her best smile, trying to make things seem okay between the two. “I made you breakfast,” Charlie said as she put the toast onto the plate and walked over to the table and put the plate down next to the glass of already poured orange juice. “Nothing fancy, just bacon, eggs and toast because I can do that without anything going wrong.” Charlie gave a little laugh as she looked up to Brax who was looking blankly at her.

“I’m not so hungry,” Brax spoke quietly as he reached forward and took an apple from the fruit bowl. “This will do me fine.”

Charlie nodded as she pursed her lips together, slightly saddened that he rejected her offer. “You could have come to say goodbye to Ruby this morning.”

Brax sniggered. “She’s only going away for a few days,” Brax answered. “Not like she’s going off on some around the world trip is it?”

“Still would have been nice for you to wish her a good time,” Charlie murmured before she rubbed her forehead. “Anyways, I eh...I thought we could spend the day together,” Charlie said unsure if Brax would comply. “You know, no talking about the baby or Ruby being ill. Just me and you like it used to be. Try to see that we have something great, something that’s worth working on.”

“I eh...” Brax shook his head as he put the apple down on the table. “I don’t want too. I’m sorry Charlie but I....” Brax trailed off as he saw Charlie already welling up with tears, trying her hardest to stay together but she couldn’t stop the tear from falling from her eye.

“I know,” Charlie closed her eyes as another tear fell from her eye. “I know, please don’t say it.”

“You know not saying it doesn’t change the fact that I want to -”

“I’m not saying it does,” Charlie opened her eyes as she shook her head. “But I don’t need you to say it because I know what you are going to say.”

Brax nodded lightly as he rubbed the back of his head. “Well I guess there is no point in me hanging around,” Brax exhaled. “I’ll pack some stuff and be gone within the hour.”

“I’m going to go for a walk,” Charlie tried to compose herself but inside she just wanted to break down into tears. “I don’t want to be here when you leave.” Charlie’s voice went high and squeaky as she wiped her hand across her face.

Brax gave a gentle nod of understanding. “I am sorry that it’s come to this.” Brax mumbled as Charlie walked out of the kitchen and over to the front door before walking out and leaving the house as the tears escaped her eyes.

Ruby lay the sleeping bag down in the tent, before looking up to Romeo and smiling. “Home sweet home for the next few days.”

“Yeah,” Romeo smiled as he lay down the blanket and pillow. “Still think you’ll be too hot in that sleeping bag though,” Romeo laughed as he sat down in the tent with Ruby talking a seat next to him. “And if you think I am going to share my blanket with you, well, you can think again lady.” Romeo teased.

Ruby huffed. “Well that’s not very nice. Maybe I just won’t give you any kisses all weekend.”

“What?” Romeo gasped. “No blanket is harsh but no kisses? Really, how can you be so cruel Miss Buckton?”

“Well I couldn’t because I’d only be punishing myself too,” Ruby answered before leaning forward and placing a soft kiss onto his lips. “And I would be silly if I did that,” Ruby said before kissing him again. “Because I like kissing you,” Ruby once again kissed his lips. “It’s very very good,” Ruby kiss him once again. “Very good indeed.” Ruby smiled as she let this kiss get a little more passionate as their tongues made their way into each other’s mouths.

“Mmm you told you’re mum you’d call her when you arrived to let her know you’re here safe.” Romeo said as he pulled back and rested his hand on her cheek.

“Really?” Ruby questioned. “We are pashing and you are thinking about my mother?” Ruby widened her eyes. “Anything you need to tell me Romeo?”

“Haha no,” Romeo answered. “You’re the only one for me.” Romeo said as he kissed her lips softly.

“Good,” Ruby grinned. “And besides mum and Brax are alone for the first time in forever, maybe they are too busy being like a normal loved up couple right now.”

“Wouldn’t count on it.” Romeo muttered, thinking about what he and Charlie were talking about the previous night.

“What was that?” Ruby questioned.

“I said yeah maybe so,” Romeo answered. “But maybe just give her a text or something; let her know you’re here and that you’ll call her later.”

“Yeah I guess I should,” Ruby answered as she crawled over to her bag and fished out her mobile. She looked down to the screen before looking up to Romeo. “I don’t have a signal out here.” Ruby said before biting her lip worriedly. She knew Charlie would be freaking out by Sunday if they couldn’t get in touch with each other.

“Not a problem, you can use my phone,” Romeo said as he reached into his pocket and pulled out his mobile. “Oh....” Romeo rubbed the back of his head. “I don’t get signal either.”

“Well no,” Ruby rolled her eyes. “We are both on Telstra.”

“Well maybe April or Dex will have a signal, let’s go ask them.” Romeo said.

“Hmm, I know April is on Telstra, pretty sure Dex is too,” Ruby sighed. “Mum is going to freak if I don’t get in touch.”

“Well how about we go out to see April and Dex, have some lunch and then we can go for a little walk until we find a signal and you can call her?”

“Yeah,” Ruby nodded. “Sounds good because I am starving. What you going to make me?” Ruby gave a cheeky grin as they walked out of their tent.

“Uhm....whatever Dex is making April.” Romeo answered and Ruby laughed lightly as they walked over to join their friends.

“Hey, Charlie,” Leah smiled as she saw her friend sitting on the beach. “Mind if I join you?” Charlie shook her head as Leah took a seat on the sand next to her. “How’s Ruby doing?”

“She’s good,” Charlie answered, not looking at Leah. She didn’t want Leah to notice that she’d been crying. “She’s gone away for the weekend with Romeo, April and Dexter.”

“Oh that will be good,” Leah smiled. “Do her some good to get away from here and the stress of everything for a while.”

“Yeah hopefully it does,” Charlie answered as she wiped her hand across her face, wiping away the tears that had stained her face. “So, where are Miles and VJ today?” Charlie questioned. “You guys are normally always together.”

“Miles has taken VJ away for the holiday weekend,” Leah answered. “Bit of male bonding and such.”

“It’s nice how well Miles and VJ get along,” Charlie said. “I would love to have a partner who would accept Ruby as much as Miles has done with VJ.”

“What are you talking about?” Leah sounded confused. “Brax thinks the world of Rubes, they get along well and before that she was close with Angelo.”

“Brax doesn’t care about Ruby,” Charlie shook her head. “If he did he’d want me to have the baby to save her.”

“Oh yeah I heard about that,” Leah said. “You and Brax disagreeing over that?”

Charlie nodded her head as she looked up to Leah. “He’s eh....he’s left me,” Charlie said unable to hold it in any longer, letting the tears escape her.

“Oh Charlie,” Leah put her hand on her friends shoulder and rubbed it gently. “When did this happen?”

Charlie shrugged her shoulders as she looked down to her watch. “A few hours ago now I guess.”

“And you’ve just been sitting here alone all this time?” Leah asked and Charlie nodded. “Why didn’t you come find me or Bianca?”

“I don’t know,” Charlie shrugged her shoulders. “Leah, I don’t want to go back to the empty house.”

Leah exhaled as she looked to her friend. She was already dealing with her daughter having leukaemia, it wasn’t fair that she now had to deal with her boyfriend leaving her too. “Well I just made some of my moussaka this morning and I’m not going to be able to eat that all by myself, so why don’t you come back to my place and we’ll have some lunch and we can talk about things?” Leah suggested and Charlie nodded her head and she gave her friend a thankful smile, before they both stood up and made their way off the beach.

Thanks beebee, Red Ranger 1, caroline77, Spotd1, Kristen and Sarah for the comments. Hope you like this one..... :unsure:

Chapter 19

Charlie was playing with her food with her fork and she stared blankly out in front of her. “You know you are supposed to eat that?” Leah said bringing Charlie out of her thoughts.

“I’m not hungry,” Charlie shook her head as she put the fork down on the table. “Sorry.”

“You need to eat something,” Leah told her. “Have you eaten anything today?” Charlie shook her head lightly. “Well then eat,” Leah instructed. “Not eating isn’t going to change the fact that Brax and you are over, is it?” Leah said.

“I guess not no.” Charlie answered quietly before taking a drink of her juice.

“And you need to eat to keep up strength for Ruby and if you are going to be pregnant.” Leah said before taking a mouthful of her moussaka.

“Can’t wait to go through that alone.” Charlie pursed her lips together as she raised her eyebrows.

“You’re not going to be alone, Charlie, you have me and Bianca and of course Ruby and Romeo,” Leah exhaled lightly. “You’ll have people there for you.”

“I want Brax to be there for me,” Charlie said as she felt herself welling up with more tears. “I wish he could understand this.”

“Maybe if you just give him some time he will,” Leah said as she leaned forward and rubbed Charlie’s hand comfortingly. “This is huge and he probably hasn’t really sat back and thought about what this actually means for Ruby yet.”

“It should have been very clear to him what this meant to Ruby right away,” Charlie replied. “Does he really think I would want to have a child with my rapist if there wasn’t going to be a good outcome for Ruby?” Charlie questioned. “I just wish that he would have understood I’m not doing this to try to hurt him, I’m doing this for my daughter.”

“Look, why don’t you go and talk to him?” Leah suggested. “Try to get him to see why you are doing this.”

“I’ve tried that so many times,” Charlie said. “It doesn’t seem to make a difference. He is still dead against the idea.”

“I’m sorry,” Leah exhaled. “I could go talk to him if you wanted?” Leah suggested. “I’m not involved with him so maybe he’ll listen to me. I can help him see it from a different point of view. You know I am not Ruby’s mother, so maybe he’ll listen to what I think.”

“Eh....maybe but I don’t really think it will make much of a difference to be honest. His mind seems pretty made up.” Charlie exhaled.

“Well if you want me to try let me know,” Leah smiled. “Do you know where he is staying?”

“Oh, I’ve got a good idea that it’ll be Bianca’s,” Charlie answered. “Seems to spend a lot of his time there lately. Says it’s for Rocco but I’m not so sure.”

“Well Bianca is going through a hard time with his brother right now and I guess Brax needs to offload to someone too.”

“He sure wouldn’t like it if I did that with Miles or Liam,” Charlie said. “Why can’t he talk to another bloke? I don’t like that he’s turned to my best friend. Fair enough she has a baby with his brother so I guess he’ll say she’s as good as family, but still, I just...all of a sudden I just have this nagging feeling in the back of my mind that they...they want more than friends with each other.”

“No,” Leah shook her head. “Brax and Bianca just don’t go. You don’t need to worry. She’s too in love with Heath and he’s too in love with you.”

“Yeah so in love that he left me,” Charlie exhaled before rubbing her forehead. “You know what, you should go. Go talk to him tonight.”

“I will.” Leah smiled lightly as before pointing to the lunch. “Now please eat.” Leah said and Charlie exhaled lightly before taking a mouthful of the moussaka.

Ruby and Romeo had gone for a walk after lunch, hoping to find a signal to get in touch with Charlie, but so far they hadn’t had any luck. Ruby took a deep breath as she patted onto Romeo’s arm. “We need...” Ruby’s breathing was heavy. “To sit.” Ruby said before sitting down at the edge of the road. Romeo sat down next to her and wrapped his arm around her. “How far....have we....walked?” Ruby asked her breathing still slightly raspy.

“Uhm....near 1 and a half kilometres I guess,” Romeo answered. “So we have done pretty far for you.”

“This is no good.” Ruby shook her head.

“Why not?” Romeo questioned. “Because we can’t find a signal?”

“Because I need to walk back to the campsite.” Ruby answered and Romeo gave a little laugh.

“We can wait here as long as you need.” Romeo said.

“Mum is going to freak out if I don’t get in touch soon.” Ruby sighed.

“Maybe she’ll just think you can’t get a signal.” Romeo answered.

“No, it’s my mum; she’ll think the worst and freak out,” Ruby looked up to her boyfriend. “Ah, I can just see her now freaking out, Brax trying to keep her calm, but she won’t listen to him.” Ruby gave a little laugh.

“No, I don’t suppose she would,” Romeo exhaled. “Look, how about we just go back to the campsite for now?” Romeo questioned. “You’ve walked enough for now.”

“But I need to get in touch with her,” Ruby sighed. “I promised I’d call twice a day.”

“Well we’ll try again later, but we came here to have fun, so let’s go to the lake to meet April and Dex and have a little swim. I know your mum will probably start to worry but there’s nothing we can do so let’s not worry about it.” Romeo spoke softly as he stood up and took Ruby’s hands into his, pulling her to her feet.

“Okay, but I don’t think I’m ready to start walking all that way again,” Ruby exhaled. “Can we just sit for a few more minutes?”

Romeo looked to Ruby and had to admit she did look tired. “You’re chariot awaits,” Romeo smiled as he turned around and bent down slightly wanting Ruby to get on his back. “Up you get.”

“You can’t carry me all the way back, Romeo.” Ruby sighed.

“Course I can,” Romeo smiled. “Now c’mon, up you get.” Ruby smiled lightly as jumped up onto his back and wrapped her arms around her neck.

“Chop chop then horsey,” Ruby kicked her legs against his side. Romeo laughed lightly as he made his way back down the road towards the campsite to join Dex and April swimming.

“Do you think I’ve made the right choice?” Brax exhaled as he sat back in the couch, rubbing his forehead.

“It’s only for you to decide,” Bianca replied. “You know best what you want.” Bianca said as she looked at Brax and couldn’t help but think how handsome he looked.

Brax cleared his throat as he looked up at Bianca and looked into her eyes. She looked gorgeous. He’d never properly looked at her before in that way. He’d always been with Charlie and she pretty much always had something going with Heath. “She’s having a baby with him....that jerk....that scum,” Brax sat back up on the couch as she shook his head. “The man who took her innocence and made it so hard for her to trust people,” Brax shook her head. “It’s crazy.”

Bianca exhaled lightly as she moved closer to Brax on the couch. “I know but her daughter is ill and she’s not going to be thinking about that with Grant right now.”

“I just....” Brax shook his head. “I wish things were different. That she would have a match. That Charlie would agree to have a baby with me. It could be a match; it would be a half sibling.”

“That’s not good enough right now,” Bianca shook her head. “For Charlie anyways.”

“Oh you know what I am sick of talking about this,” Brax exhaled as he stood up from the couch. “Let’s go out, let’s get drunk and forget about my break up and Heath being an ass and walking out on you.” Brax said as he pulled Bianca up from the couch.

“Brax I can’t,” Bianca shook her head. “And getting drunk won’t change anything.”

“Yes you can, what’s stopping you?” Brax questioned.

“My baby son sleeping up the stairs,” Bianca answered. “We can’t go anywhere, or at least I can’t.”

Brax exhaled as he kept a hold of Bianca’s hand. “Well I need to do something to stop this pain.” Brax said before looking into Bianca’s eyes once again. Bianca cleared her throat as she looked away from Brax, but he put his other hand on her cheek and made her face him again.

“Brax we can’t.” Bianca shook her head.

“We both want this; I know we both want this.” Brax said.

“It doesn’t matter,” Bianca shook her head. “We can’t. Charlie is my best friend, and this would destroy her and she has enough to deal with with Ruby right now. And Heath....I have a baby with him and he’s your brother and technically still my boyfriend. We can’t,” Bianca said quietly as she tried her hardest not to kiss Brax in that moment. Brax exhaled lightly as he softly rubbed her cheek, before leaning down and placing a soft kiss onto Bianca’s lips. “Mmm,” Bianca smiled into the kiss, letting it deepened as Brax wrapped his hands around her waist, pulling her closer to him, so their bodies were pressed against each other’s. “Brax.”

“Just say the word and I’ll stop.” Brax whispered before placing another kiss on her lips. Bianca moaned into the kiss and she wrapped her hands around his neck.

“Don’t stop.” Bianca whispered before the kiss become more intense as she stepped back dragging him towards the stairs.

Leah exhaled as she walked up the path to Bianca house, almost ready to knock on the door, but for whatever reason, she looked into the side window as the light seemed to draw her there. She opened her mouth in shock as he saw Brax and Bianca in each other’s arms, kissing passionately as Bianca pulled Brax’s shirt from him before making their way up the stairs. She shook her head as she stepped back and ran away from the house, wondering what on earth she was going to tell Charlie, as she knew she’d be asking how their chat went.

Thanks caroline77, beebee, Freakie42, Kristen, Red Ranger 1, Spotd1, Sarah, RoRo90 and Freakie42(again) for the comments.

Chapter 20

Brax woke up and took in his surroundings. He was still in Bianca’s bedroom, so must have fell into a deep sleep after what happened the night before. He rubbed his forehead knowing that he needed to go and face her sooner than rather later, so he took a deep breath and got out of the bed, and searched for his boxers before finding them laying the corner of the room. He put them on before picking his t-shirt up, feeling the need to dress before going down the stairs. He picked his combats up and put them on as he made his way out of the room and fastened the button as he walked down the last few stairs. Brax cleared his throat as he walked over to the kitchen, where he saw Bianca still in her red silk nightdress, in the middle of breast-feeding her son. “Sorry I’ll eh -” Brax rubbed the back of his head as he looked away from Bianca.

“Didn’t have a problem when it was you kissing and nibbling on these last night,” Bianca said. “And they are just boobs. I’m sure you’ve seen them plenty a time before.”

Brax once again cleared his throat. “Uhm yeah I guess.”

Bianca exhaled as she took her son from her breast and held him up right against her as she tucked herself back into her nightdress. She looked up at Brax with pursed lips before walking over to the play mat in the living room and putting her son down. “I eh....are we supposed to talk about what happened last night?”

“Probably,” Brax nodded nervously. He knew what he wanted to say but he didn’t know if Bianca was going to say the same and it worried him. “Eh...”

“Yeah I eh....” Bianca spoke in an almost whisper. “I’m almost scared to say it as well.”

“Okay so we’re both adults and we....we made a mistake,” Brax said as he fiddled with the bottom of his shirt nervously. “At least that’s what it was for me. You’re gorgeous and a great friend but that’s it. We’re friends, we’re not...I didn’t get anything from it, you know it wasn’t....well I just kept thinking yeah she’s hot but she’s not Charlie.” Brax spoke the last part tentatively as he looked at Bianca, waiting for her reaction and only hoped she would say that she felt the same and not that she wanted something more to develop between the two.

Bianca stared blankly at Brax for moment before he could see a smile edging on her lips. “Thank God,” Bianca breathed a sigh of relief. “You’re a hot guy Brax but I just...I know I was with you last night but I just kept thinking Heath wouldn’t do it like that or it’s not Heath.”

“Ouch,” Brax gritted his teeth. “But I guess that’s good. We both feel the same way about it. You know, we both got nothing from it. It’s a good thing.”

“Yeah definitely,” Bianca answered. “Now poses the question do we keep quiet or let Charlie and Heath know?”

“We should eh...” Brax rubbed the back of his head. “Charlie is probably going to be upset enough as it is so let’s not put any more pain onto her,” Brax answered. “It was a one night mistake so let’s just keep it between you and me, yeah? Just like it never happened.”

“I’m sorry I don’t know what you are talking about.” Bianca gave a sort of smile. “What never happened?”

“Last night,” Brax scrunched his face up. “We should -”

“I know,” Bianca gave a little laugh. “There’s nothing to talk about is there?” Bianca questioned. “Nothing happened.” Bianca shook her head ever so slightly.

“Nothing happened,” Brax gave a nod of understanding. “So, I’m alright to stay here for a while until I get myself sorted, right?” Brax questioned and Bianca nodded lightly.

“Yeah, it’s fine, but like I said yesterday you’ll need to sleep on the couch. April’s only gone camping for a few days and I don’t need to give her any more excuses to keep staying over at Dexter’s, so her bed is out of the question and Darcy’s cabin bed probably won’t hold you up.” Bianca gave a little laugh.

“That’s fine,” Brax nodded. “I do appreciate that, thanks.” Brax smiled.

“Right Rocco baby let’s go get you dressed for today.” Bianca cooed down at her son who was knocking the rattle on the play mat, causing him to wave his arms and kick his legs in excitement. She lifted him into her arms before she disappeared up the stairs, and Brax walked over to the kitchen to make himself some breakfast.

Romeo woke up and turned around to see Ruby lying out of the sleeping bag, looking down at her phone. “Told you you’d get too hot in that,” Romeo laughed. “Woke up last night to see you violently kicking it from your body.”

Ruby scrunched her face up. “I must have done it in my sleep,” Ruby answered. “I don’t remember doing that.”

“Still I was right.” Romeo grinned as he moved the blanket from him and crawled closer to Ruby.

“Well done, a gold star for Romeo.” Ruby laughed, before she looked down to her phone and exhaled.

“Still no signal?” Romeo questioned and Ruby shook her head before throwing the phone down onto the sleeping bag.

“And I cannot be done with another thousand kilometre hike today either.” Ruby yawned as she crawled over to her bag and opened it up and took out a bottle of water and her tub of pills that she needed to take for the day.

Romeo laughed lightly. “Hardly a thousand kilometres babe,” Romeo said as he watched Ruby taking tablet after tablet. “Like I said yesterday it’d be 1 and a half kilometres at the most.”

“Well yeah,” Ruby swallowed. “But it felt a lot further for me. I just get so tired these days.”

“Well it’s to be expected,” Romeo answered. “But you’ll always have your trusty steed here if need be,” Romeo smiled as he lay back down in the tent, with Ruby taking the last of her pills before laying down next to him. “That you had your fix for today?”

“Yeah,” Ruby sighed as she put her hand onto his bare chest, tracing her finger around his nipple.

“Babe, do you ever wish that we could be like we used to be? Like a normal couple?”

Romeo exhaled as he put his hand on top of Ruby’s running his finger over her turtle charm. “I just love being with you and right now, yeah, maybe things do have to be a bit different sometimes but it’s what makes us, us.” Romeo answered. “For me, this is normal.”

“You know you don’t need to stay with me just because you feel sorry for me,” Ruby said as she lifted her head up to face him, placing her elbow on the ground, and resting her head against her hand. “Plenty 18-year-olds would walk away from this kind of situation.”

“I’m not with you because I feel sorry for you,” Romeo shook his head. “The same funny, friendly, passionate about what she believes in, kind spirited girl I fell for 2 years ago is still there,” Romeo smiled as he rubbed her cheek lightly. “We were each other’s first everything, and I plan on making you my last.” Romeo said.

Ruby gave a soft smile. “So, you’ll still love me when I’m old, grey and wrinkly?”

“Oh yeah,” Romeo nodded. “Very much.” Romeo pulled Ruby’s head down to face him and placed a soft but meaningful kiss onto her lips.

Bianca pushed the buggy into the diner and walked up to the counter to order herself a coffee to go. “Morning Leah,” Bianca smiled. “How are you today?”

Leah looked up to Bianca coldly. “What do you want today?”

“A latte to go,” Bianca answered, confused at her friends coldness. “So, I was thinking maybe me, you and Charlie could get together tonight,” Bianca said as she watched Leah grab the to go cup, and placed it under the machine before picking up the carton of milk, and pouring some into a jug before putting the jug at the steamer and hitting the button to heat the milk. “It’s been a while since we’ve all been together.”

“I already planned on going around to Charlie’s tonight so I’m sure we will be fine on our own.” Leah told her friend as she pushed the button, allowing the espresso shots to fall into the cup.

Bianca scrunched her face up. “Have I done something to offend you?”

“How about sleeping with your best friend’s ex-boyfriend of all of 5 minutes last night?” Leah lowered her voice so no-one else could hear her, but her tone was angry and Bianca certainly picked up on that.

“What?” Bianca tried to sound casually. “I don’t know what you are talking about.”

“Don’t Bianca,” Leah seethed as she poured the hot milk into the cup and put the lid on before banging it down in front of Bianca. “I saw you. Last night I came around to your place because Charlie was in bits and wanted me to talk to Brax for her. Just as I was going to ring the bell I look into the window to see you two heading for the stairs and ripping each other’s clothes off. How could you do that?” Leah questioned. “She’s your best friend. It’s like the number 1 unwritten rule of friendship that you don’t bed your best friends ex. You just don’t go there.”

“Look, it was a mistake,” Bianca exhaled. “We both said so. Charlie doesn’t need to know this,” Bianca shook her head as she gave Leah a pleading look. “Please Leah don’t tell her.”

“Give me one good reason why I shouldn’t?” Leah questioned.

“Ruby is -”

“Do not use her sick daughter as an excuse,” Leah shook her head. “I want another reason.”

“I don’t know,” Bianca rubbed her forehead. “Because it’s only going to make her feel worse than she already does,” Bianca gave a slight shrug of her shoulders. “Please don’t tell Charlie.”

“Don’t tell Charlie what?” Charlie questioned as she appeared behind Bianca.

Archived