Donald Fisher, The Prequel.

Homeandawayfan.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

continued....

ALF WHat about your Jewish heritage?

DON What about it? Nothing wrong with Jewish blood.

ALF Fair dinkum just some pupils may not react well.

DON My great grandad's mother was Jewish. Her family were Polish Jews from Warsaw and came to England in the 1850s when she was about 15. Great grandad was born in 1864 in London and can to Australia in 1890. I remember giving Walter Bertram a run down of my ancestry a couple of years ago when I first became a teacher and I told him all this. Apparently grandad Ed was proud of his heritage. You cannot help where your ancestors came from, I have a great, great grandparent born in Poland. I wish I could convince my little brother Clive to feel the same. But I have silenced him. ANyway I have English and Irish and Scottish blood as well you know. Can we change the subject now Alfred Douglas Stewart?

ALF Sure, Donald Vernon Fisher. You and my sis thinking of having any children yet?

DON I hope to soon. We have been married over a year now.

ALF I hope to get married to Barbara soon.

DON Why not?

ALF My dad was married when he was 20 which is the age I am now so I am not too young.

DON Anyway must get back to the school and wield the big stick.

to be continued...........

• 1 month later...

continued.....

JULY 1966, FISHER'S NEW HOUSE, SUMMER BAY.

Don has taken out a mortgage on his new house and is preparing for his trip to England. By now he has grown a short beard which is a bit lighter than his black hair.

BARBARA So got everything packed for the trip?

DONALD Barbara stop fussing, you have asked me that 50 times already. I am looking forward to going to England. It is their summertime over there so we can not escape sunbathing.

BARBARA Long flight though.

DONALD It is 10'000 miles away or so. Anyway have you thought any more about us starting a family?

BARBARA Maybe in a couple of years or so.

DONALD I am feeling broody though. I relish the idea of more Fisher's running around Summer Bay.

BARBARA All in good time.

DONALD Anyway, in a few hours time we get taken to the airport and wagons roll, we are off to Britain. I am so excited.

BARBARA So you keep saying.

DONALD Yes and so you keep reminding me have I packed everything.

EXT, BEACH, SUMMER BAY, DAYTIME.

2 of the pupils who Don teaches are walking the dogs.

MAX How long is Fisher going away for?

JAMES 2 months or so, wont be back until late September.

MAX So not a great deal of time Iron Fist Flathead will be away from school term time.

JAMES I find Fisher nice, well to me actually.

MAX You are the teachers pet anyway. I cannot stand him nor his brother in law, Alf Stewart. Both think they own Summer Bay.

JAMES Maybe I shoudl tell Don what you have said.

MAX In that case I shall not hang about with a creep, teachers pet.

Max runs off leaving James stood on the beach alone.

To be continued.........

• 2 months later...

continued........

JAMES Come on max dont be like that.

MAX Ok teachers pet. But I tell you now Don is not around to hold your hand or some of the other swats, I shall certainly be making the most of his absence.

JAMES Unless Bertram disciplines you.

MAX If you breathe a word I will pay your house a visit one night, surely your garden will have a few pot plants overturned and your daddy's gnomes trashed.

James looks scared as Max jogs off down the beach.

EXT, SYDNEY AIRPORT, THE DAY AFTER. JULY 1966

Don is stood with Barbara in the airport concourse ready for the Qantas Airlines plane to swing open the steps leading up to the entrance door. Alf Stewart, Don's younger brother Clive Fisher and Donalds's younger cousin James Fisher are stood ready to wave him off.

DONALD For 2 months I can forget about handing out detentions and calling out the school register.

ALF That Max fella may be a handful when you are away.

DONALD I shall get the lowdown off Bertram and if Max has been misbehaving then he will be the one feeling the need to get away from it all believe you me. And will some of the other delinquents. Anyway I could not get to sleep last night, so excited but the journey will take a couple of days.

BARBARA We have to stop off for refuelling.

CLIVE Bring us back a sick of rock.

JAMES See you Don. Where do you think you will refuel?

DONALD Singapore then Cairo perhaps. One thing is, we can still watch Coronation Street, seeing as we are visiting the shows home country. We are spending a few days in London then off to Yarmouth in Norfolk.

The steps of the plane open out ready for the passengers to board.

ALF Good luck Donald. Take care.

DON Alf we will be back in 2 months, we are not emigrating (laughs).

ALF You are too cocky sometimes Mr Fisher.

DON Get back to Summer Bay. Seriously, keep well while we are away.

Alf and Don shake hands. Don then shakes hads with Clive and James.

CLIVE Have a safe journey big brother.

JAMES Take plenty of photos Donald.

Donald and Barbara join the queue of passengers waiting to board the plane.

HALF AN HOUR LATER.

The plane is is roaring down the runway and then takes off. Alf, Clive and James stand and watch and wave as the plane ascends into the sky.

To be continued...

Archived