Donald Fisher, The Prequel.

Homeandawayfan.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I imagine Flathead had a bigger sense of humour as a youngster, more so than as an adult, perhaps due to a failed marriage and thinking he messed up with his children, even though he regained his sense of humour after he mellowed when Alan died onscreen in 1988.

EXT, SUMMER BAY PARISH CHURCH, 13TH MARCH 1965.

We see Donald Fisher and Barbara Stewart (now Fisher) walking out of the church with the crowd throwing confetti all over the place and cheering. They have just got married. The photographer is snapping away. We then see a shot of the marrige certificate and Don signing it then Barbara. Some of the the info on the cert reads "Donald Vernon Fisher, aged 20, father William Fisher, deceased, bank clerk, and Barbara Jane Stewart, aged 19, father Gordon Stewart, bait shop manager".

Donalds younger brother Clive and sister Mary congratulate him.

CLIVE Well done big brother.

MARY Yes, well done older brother as well.

DONALD Thanks very much.

CLIVE You should have invited Mum.

DONALD Clive, dad died just under 2 years ago, and mum walked out on us. That is why I did not invite her. Come on lets not spoil my big day.

ALF Congratulations Donald, I know you will be a good husband to my sister.

BARBARA Barbara Fisher now. Mrs Donald Fisher.

DONALD Now we are ready to jet off to Whitsundays for our honeymoon.

To be continued........

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like to put flesh on the bones of Don and the others featured in this fanfic by having them mention names of deceased family members but this section will complete that mainly as I will work on a humiliation coming for Don and Alf and the basis of Dons upcoming trip to England.

EXT, NOVEMBER 1965, SUMMER BAY CEMETERY. LATE AFTERNOON AFTER SCHOOL.

Alf is stood at the grave of his grandfather Angus Stewart and gran Martha Stewart nee MacRictchie. Don walks up to him.

DON G'day Alf.

ALF Oh Hi Don. Just visiting family graves.

DON I am off to England next year, to visit the seaside town of Great Yarmouth in Norfolk to see a distant cousin.

ALF Strewth, 10'000 miles.

DON The flight will take a few days. Get new away from the pupils for a week. I just reprimanded Smith for fighting. I always thought he was a good boy. He is not paying attention in lessons. Must be something troubling him. I will get to the bottom of it.

Don looks at Alf's grandparents grave.

ALF You have Scottish blood dont you like me?

DON Yes, mums dad was Scottish but has some Dutch in him what with a name like DuPre, I think his dads grandad was Dutch but all the rest of his ancestors were Scottish. Samuel DuPre he was, born Glasgow, married my Irish gran Mary O'Leary in Glasgow then they came to Australia in 1925. She was working in Scotland and they came to Sydney to visit a cousin and never returned to Scotland. Mum was born in January 1926, 4 months later.

ALF God you know your family history Donald Vernon Fisher.

DON Shhhh Alf, no one outside your family know my middle name Alfred Douglas Stewart.

Unluckily for Don and Alf, 2 of Don's pupils who are walking through the cemetery overhear and snigger. They walk off. Don and Alf are unaware they are there.

to be continued........

• 1 month later...

INT, A FEW DAYS LATER, CLASSROOM AT SUMMER BAY HIGH SCHOOL.

Don is asking the pupils if they know who Ted Hughes is. One says who he is.

DON Correct Hawkins.

HAWKINS Did he have a middle name?

DON How is that relevant?

Hawkins nods to his friend Peter O'Hanlon and they snigger. We realise they are the two that overheard Don and Alf say their middle names to each other the other day.

DON Just get on with what I ask and what is relevant OK. Detentions may be issued if you dont.

O'HANLON Sorry Ver..err Mr Fisher.

DON Alright O'Hanlon you as well.

HAWKINS Mr Fisher, does Alf Stewart have a middle name?

DON (realising he may have been overheard the other day) Right Hawkins, see me after school finishes for detention.

EXT, SUMMER BAY HOUSE FRONT GARDEN, LUNCTIME.

DON Alf I think we may have been overheard the other day. I think two of my pupils know our middle names. Hawkins asked if you had one and O Hanlon almost said Vernon.

ALF Strewth the flamin galahs.

DON I know. Hawkins has got detention.

ALF WHat about the other one?

DON I will give him a detention as well. They are not the only ones who can play dirty though, and with me being a teacher I can make their lives hell if they play up. I shall be glad of my holiday to England next August. It will hopefully be sunny there as our winter is their summer.

ALF I'll string them up.

DON Keep out of it Alf now. I will sort it.

To be continued..........

Archived