The Melissa George Issue

Guest jldraw

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No surprises about Dieter Brummer and Melissa George not getting along. It's always been common knowledge.

Wow, for Dieter to be wishing his character to be killed off the show, that must say something about his opinion on George.

Well Melissa's side of the story has always been that Dieter was "unprofessional" and "unappreciative" of the role/chance he was given on the show. As a Melissa George fan, I always gave her the benefit of the doubt on this issue given how things turned out for both actors after they left Home and Away. Now to be quite frank, I'm not so sure.

What I think might clarify this issue for some is a brief look back into some of the fan magazines of the period where they interviewed the H&A cast, including Melissa around the time of both Dieter and subsequently Melissa's departure from the show.

In Melissa's interview given to a fanzine entitled "Big!" she spoke about her work on H&A being the "best three years of my life" but realized it was "time to spread my wings". She also made reference to the scene where Shane passed on being her best bit of acting on the show although she left no possibility open as far as returning to the show in the future: "I'm pleased at the way Angel gets a fairytale ending...she's going off to a wonderful new life and so am I. I can't see myself going back."

She also mentions that she was confident about her future prospects because "Home and Away has given me the best training anyone could ask for. Now it's a case of long live Angel, but off I go"

In Dieter's interview given to the same fanzine he spoke of why he was leaving the show: "It was basically my decision. I've been here for three and a half years. My character had stopped developing. Shane got married, so he can't really do much else unless it's divorce and stuff. I don't think the producers wanted that."

He also spoke fondly about the actors whom he worked with on the show. It's worth noting that there is no mention of Melissa George: "Shane Ammann who plays Curtis, I hang out with him quite a bit, and Tristan Bancks. I've also set up a production company with Tristan. As far as the girls go, Tina Thomsen, Isla Fisher, Laura Vasquez, we get to see each other fairly often"

For me the bottom line is that while I didn't care for Melissa's comments. I do agree with the previous comment that this has become somewhat of a witch hunt atmosphere. Now while I'm sure this issue will affect Melissa George's public persona every time she chooses to return to Australia, being that she lives and makes her living in the United States, I can't see it being something that truly adversely affects her outside of Australia.

It doesn't really matter whether she wants to talk about the show or not or even if she wants to be remembered by it. Fact of the matter is, if she is going on talk shows 15 or so years after playing a role nd that's what is asked about and it's that role that makes the viewing public recognise her then whether she likes it or not that's how she has been remembered.

It shouldn't be under estimated how many viewers h&a has worldwide. Having said that, if she feels she has bettered herself, she's entitled to be happy with that I guess!

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone see this week's Heat magazine? They published a horrific half page photo of Melissa in their fashion section from 1994 with the caption "She ain't no Angel". Love it!! I also applaud whoever at Seven's idea it was to use Angel as the first person we saw in Roo's wedding promo!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I know I'm extremely late to this topic - nothing unusual there - but browsing the boards for the first time in many months, I came across it.

Whilst I have nothing against Melissa George in principal, I was never particularly fond of the Angel character at the time. She comes across in the orginal quoted articles as a spoilt brat, frankly.

"Up herself" would be the vernacular I would use.

A commenter after the OP (sorry, I didn't pay attention to poster names) comments about how she is so well known for other roles she has played since she left H&A...

I've never seen her in anything else, so I obviously watch the wrong tv shows - but I can't be the only one.

Dominic Purcell is right, and she needs to humble herself a little. It may be extremely frustrating to be ALWAYS referred to as "the former home and away" actress, but better that than to be unknown after 20 years of trying to get acting jobs.

Im sure there others actors out the that would have loved to have had her time on H&A and the popularly that came with it!

I once talked to a Canadian actress who was proud of her past work as a child star. At least she appricated what little time she had and wasnt ashamed of her work even though it wasnt that much.

I understand they are times actors do not get along on series and that happens alot. She has a right to her view on the show I do think she needs to understand how important it still is to alot of viewers in Australia and around the world. She could have said worse things about the fans which many other stars have and thankfully I seen her pose for pics online which proves she does care and I think we should think about that when reading this.

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to say 2 nice things I heard about Melissa.

One she would pose for pics with fans. As I meitioned before. Once at a con here in America an actress took a Hissy fit when a fan asked her to do that. Melissa looked like she enjoyed it unlike other actors who seem upset. i guess it depends on when and where you ask?

Another nice story I heard was she accepted gifts and parcels from fans once when she was on location filming one of her movies! Now some actors dont accept gifts including some of my heroes yet some have!

I am disapointed she bashed H&A yet I still enjoyed her work and thankful she didnt say worse things (about fans) as some actors have. :(

Melissa has apologized for her comments though:

"The events of the week have upset me and I want to apologise to any of my fans who were offended about my comments about Australia last weekend. It was never my intention. I'm really proud of my Australian roots and I will continue to come home often to see my family and to work here.
In fact my favourite croissants in the world are at the Bourke Street Bakery in Surry Hills. [note: the exact pastries we referenced during the initial cluster**** of perceived snobbery]
I'm also proud of my early work in Australia and am always happy for people to refer to 'Home and Away', but what I really want to be able to talk to my fans about is the work I'm doing now.
I've been fortunate to have had a wonderful career over the past 20 years here and overseas, including working on the series Hunted which HBO [in the US] confirmed will continue."

Im very pleased she taken reponsibility for her comment. Im sure she is sincere with what she said.

I love Aussie TV and I have been very lucky with the kindness and help the actors and series do to the fans.

However, I do have some complaints though as they are some actors who are very difficult to contact or meet? I wont meition any names as some people take complaints against actors/characters the wrong way. I have many friends in USA and Down under who met many stars in person. and they pass on in person meetings stories.

Not everyone enjoys being on Twitter or facebook yet I find those actors who are are helped by that! Thats a good way to conatct your favorite star. Its nice to get a reply.

Another thing most actors here in the USA use agents now However I would rather trust a show than a agent since you get a better reply yet it depends on the person? H&A has a good reputation which they deserve.

I thank Melissa for her apology, I wish other actors would have class to do that! Theres a actor who did not enjoy working on series because they didnt want to be bothered by fans in public and Theres many actors here (States) as well who want their careers both ways. The name of being a star yet not acccessable to fans!

Im very happy to recommend H&A to fans wanting to support a good show and actors!

Archived