The Melissa George Issue

Guest jldraw

Completely agree with what he's said, though yet another headline where someone is classed as a 'Home and Away' star when they've only appeared in 1-2 episodes 20 years ago :P

Incidentally if anyone hadn't heard, any plans for a 2nd series of Melissa's latest show 'Hunted' have been dropped by the BBC...

Yeah it's in a lot of the papers with headlines like 'By George, it's a bad week best forgotten for Melissa' and 'Hunted axed: Melissa George's UK show dumped due to poor ratings'. I doubt it would have made such news if it wasn't for recent events.

I wonder how Melissa is going to carry on from now on whenever she comes back to Australia, if she does (which of course she will at some point). If I was in her position I'd feel like escaping and never returning, but I'm sure the dust will settle and people will forget about it. Although it's obvious whenever she does an Aussie interview again it is going to be something that's brought up all the time.

I'd like to hear Emily Symons and Norman Coburn's take on what Melissa said, since it came across like she had a great on screen chemistry and rapport with these two.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder how Melissa is going to carry on from now on whenever she comes back to Australia, if she does (which of course she will at some point). If I was in her position I'd feel like escaping and never returning, but I'm sure the dust will settle and people will forget about it. Although it's obvious whenever she does an Aussie interview again it is going to be something that's brought up all the time.

I'd like to hear Emily Symons and Norman Coburn's take on what Melissa said, since it came across like she had a great on screen chemistry and rapport with these two.

I think because this is such a localized issue, it will die down everywhere else except Australia where it will continue to be a hot button issue for perhaps even years to come in regards to Melissa George. While I don't think she was intending to come off as she did with her comments, she did severely put down her own home country which is something that people aren't going to be all that willing to forget or pardon her for.

As far as other actors' take on what Melissa George said, for what it's worth I've noticed nothing out of the H&A camp as far as current cast or crew on the show shooting back at Melissa for her comments so in my opinion it's unlikely The Seven Network or those employed by it will take this issue any further aside from the initial comments made by the hosts of "The Morning Show".

Again in fairness to Melissa George, around the time when Kate Ritchie left the show a few years back she was on this radio show and both Melissa George and Isla Fisher called in and shared best wishes and reminiscences with her so in the main from the beginning this seemed to have been an exclusive issue on Melissa's part with how the Aussie media treats her not necessarily any issues with her former H&A cast mates.

Yeah I didn't think it was an issue she had with them, I just wondered if they agreed with her or not in general. As far as I'm concerned and from what I've read, Melissa has fond memories of working on H&A and look's back on it as a great time. But she has moved on from it now and wants others do to the same, she just needs to accept that she will always be asked about it, and not take it so personally.

The headline on news.com.au about Melissa's cancelled show being given a second chance was: There's an Angel looking out for her..... made me giggle, she'd probably want to sue them if she read it! In fact a lot of the headlines I am seeing about her the past few days have been quite funny, another was Melissa George is fed up of you, your homes and your ways!!!

funny how luke perry mentioned the incident as larry and kylie (morning show channel 7) asked him about Beverly HIlls and he said dont worry I will not get offended like someone else did if you talk about my breakthrough role.

Awww he's just jealous that Melissa George and Isla Fisher were a better soapie tandem than Shannen Doherty and Jennie Garth. :lol:

In all seriousness though I'd take that mid nineties cast of H&A and put it up against any teen soapie past or present and I think they stand up pretty well. Dieter, Melissa, Tempany, Isla, Tristan and the rest all worked very hard in those days.

funny how luke perry mentioned the incident as larry and kylie (morning show channel 7) asked him about Beverly HIlls and he said dont worry I will not get offended like someone else did if you talk about my breakthrough role.

That's funny.. I remember reading somewhere that Luke 'hated' reminders of 90210....

But seriously, this is all just blown up out of all proportion. So what if she said what she has been reported as saying. Does it really matter? Everyone knows that Home and Away is a soap, that it's scenes are shot and churned out and sometimes there is a lot of dodgy acting and convoluted storylines. What is the point of haranguing her if she doesn't like to be reminded of her days on H&A? It's frustrating to me to be reminded of my earlier poems and stories especially when I know I've written better things. Time to let this go and move on to more important stuff.

Archived