Fans to have 'input' via Social Media

Guest Dan F

I'm hoping that this is the network's decision and out of the hands of those in charge of H&A specifically. I hope it isn't an idea that has come from one of the production team on H&A or the producer because they are being paid a LOT of money each week to write and produce what should be an engaging, well written prime time drama. I might be jumping the gun, but this sort of idea sounds horrible and reminds me of cheap TV such as The X Factor and Big brother.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This sounds very strange. If fans are allowed to suggest storylines and then it goes to the scriptwriters and other production staff to make the decsion it might work. But that is a big might. In one way it a bit of an insult to the writing staff saying they cant do as well as the public. If they do do this there will have to be strong safegaurds or you could gets fans of one character or group of characters influencing the best storylines for who they support.

In one way it a bit of an insult to the writing staff saying they cant do as well as the public.

Every time I come on BTTB I read posts from members with better ideas than the current writing team!

If they do do this there will have to be strong safegaurds or you could gets fans of one character or group of characters influencing the best storylines for who they support.

That is the concern, although it already feels as though we're at a stage where a certain group of characters popular with social media fans dominate.

Might as well rename the show Braxton Bay if they go by Twitter and Facebook. What they need to do is come on here and see what the real fans want. How many likes is a Make Morag Permanent post going to get on Facebook compared to who wants to see more of Heath?!!

Having said that, maybe we should let go of the past and embrace the show as it is today? We may not like it (in fact I stopped watching six months ago but still come on here to check to see if things will get better!) but H&A rates in the top ten TV shows every night. It's been beating Big Brother most nights and after 25 years is still going strong so they are obviously doing something right.

I've lost all hope now of any decent kind of celebration for the 25th anniversary. For the 20th, we knew MONTHS in advance what they had planned. With Corrie, Emmerdale and Eastenders all having celebrated major milestones in the past few years we also got plenty of notice for what to expect from these, I reckon if anything major was to happen we would know by now so I'm guessing it will be just another Braxton centric epiosde!

Anyone else think it will just be something like fans can choose between scenario A and scenario B, but either way they will both lead to the same conclusion and storylines will progress as pre-planned.

I mean it's just a publicity stunt, they're not actually going to let fans choose anything important.

Anyone else think it will just be something like fans can choose between scenario A and scenario B, but either way they will both lead to the same conclusion and storylines will progress as pre-planned.

I mean it's just a publicity stunt, they're not actually going to let fans choose anything important.

Yeah I'm sure you're right. I hope so anyway.

Yes, probably, especially seeing as how they film four months in advance. Fans, especially younger fans would lose interest if they had to wait 4-6 months to see what they voted for to play out on screen.

I think it will be something like 'What would you like to see happening to character x?' or 'What are your thoughts on this or that storyline?'.

Louise Bowes already posts questions like that on her Twitter, and there are questions like that on Facebook, so it would not really be a new thing.

I would not worry too much about this, there is no way fans on Facebook or Twitter will get a say in the major things that are going to happen. There would be no drama left. If you read comments on the Facebook page it is clear that most fans only want happy scenes and Home and Away writers think the show can't live without drama. My biggest fear when it comes to this is that they take the 'likes' on Facebook into account.

Hope you are right Beau, I mean it's okay if they listen to us every once and while, but it's their show, they are the ones who are running the thing. They shouldn't back out on Charlie and Joey because of the backlash from fans (I know it's ages ago, but I still think they shouldn't have chickened out because of anti gay people). Or be afraid to do the Rocco storyline because of the outrage, or be afraid to make whatever pairing they want, sure it's annoying but it's their show, they should be allowed to write whatever they want. I am a sort of writer myself (Meaning I have written a huge ass story that could have rivaled H&A if it was ever a TV show, but it's for me and maybe some who wants to read it) and I will be damned if anyone tells me what I can and can't write in it (Probably the reason it's just for me). I have done many storylines that I bet many of people would hate, or dislike or cause an outrage (Much worse then H&A, including a baby being murdered, although the grief from the community seems much more realistic then with Rocco, but not many knew Rocco).

They are already doing it with the Braxtons and everything, so why do they need to change, okay sure failing ratings but this is a 24 year old show, surely there have been large amounts of times that ratings dropped before skyrocketing back up.

Might as well rename the show Braxton Bay if they go by Twitter and Facebook. What they need to do is come on here and see what the real fans want. How many likes is a Make Morag Permanent post going to get on Facebook compared to who wants to see more of Heath?!!

Having said that, maybe we should let go of the past and embrace the show as it is today? We may not like it (in fact I stopped watching six months ago but still come on here to check to see if things will get better!) but H&A rates in the top ten TV shows every night. It's been beating Big Brother most nights and after 25 years is still going strong so they are obviously doing something right.

I've lost all hope now of any decent kind of celebration for the 25th anniversary. For the 20th, we knew MONTHS in advance what they had planned. With Corrie, Emmerdale and Eastenders all having celebrated major milestones in the past few years we also got plenty of notice for what to expect from these, I reckon if anything major was to happen we would know by now so I'm guessing it will be just another Braxton centric epiosde!

Actually we do know that Celia and Morag are coming back. Though I don't think we know when that is. I'm assuming for Roo's wedding but could also be for the 25th (when is that anyway?). Or Roo's wedding could be for the 25th.

It would be a great occasion to bring alot of people back for it. I am hoping it won't be centred around the Braxtons... infact, no mention of them would be amazing, however I know that won't happen.

If I was to have some input in the show I would give storylines to the cast members that have been there the longest and have just been floating around in the background - Alf, Leah, Marilyn, Irene. They have had no major storylines in I dunno how long (aside from Irene's cancer which has automatically been forgotten about and this stalker storyline for Leah but I'm sure if Ada wasn't going on maternity leave I'm sure she'd be in the background).

Archived