When I Tell The Punch Line Wrong (by Jen) - comments

Oh I am literally in tears now, that broke my heart to see Dex so broken, I am not a Dex/April fan but you dont need to be so see how much it is hurting them both to try and deal with this. I adore the Sid parts, his strength coming through and yet he is so emotional at the same. Sid and Dex for me are written perfectly, April; I dont want to be awful but she didn't come across as trying to help but being controlling, but I guess that is her personality. Sorry I am nitpicking but I did love the story dont get me wrong, I really do. I loved it and it impacted on me emotionally, not many fics do that so well done :) x

Great one shot Jen :)

Thanks.

Wow beautiful one-shot, Jen! :o Loved how you captured the father-son relationship between Sid and Dexter. Well done! :D

Thank you, Sarah. The Sid/Dex relationship is one of my favourites, and one of the few things the show does really well.

Great one shot. I loved it! You write with such detail!

Thanks, Phoebe!

Oh I am literally in tears now, that broke my heart to see Dex so broken, I am not a Dex/April fan but you dont need to be so see how much it is hurting them both to try and deal with this. I adore the Sid parts, his strength coming through and yet he is so emotional at the same. Sid and Dex for me are written perfectly, April; I dont want to be awful but she didn't come across as trying to help but being controlling, but I guess that is her personality. Sorry I am nitpicking but I did love the story dont get me wrong, I really do. I loved it and it impacted on me emotionally, not many fics do that so well done :) x

*hands over tissues* I'm sorry for making you cry. I agree about the Dex/April relationship - I tend to go hot and cold on them from episode to episode as to whether they are adorably cute or insufferable - but I keep forgetting that they are kids. They are teenagers who have had this lumped on them and ultimately are doing the best they can. But there are going to be bad days, where Dex gets frustrated with himself and April feels completely helpless. Or April has plans to go out and Dex doesn't want to hang out with April's friends from uni because they don't 'get it', they don't get him, and he feels stupid around them. Before the accident, he could keep up - easily, in fact. But now everythinig is so much harder than before and Dex is just tired of it all. That's the thing about April, is that as much as she tries to help, to fit in with the rest of the Walker's her relationship with Dex has changed, and won't probably be the same again. You can't go back to being innocent, carefree teenagers once you've encountered something like this. April is no martyr, so I'm glad she came across as slightly selfish for what she was doing. Her helping Dex is as much for her own benefit as it is for Dex's, and Dex can't handle that. He hates being dependent on anyone, feels like he's dragging them all down, so he pushes her away until she doesn't come back. I don't blame her really, I think it's understandible. The one thing I hope you saw, was that no one is to blame in this situation. It just sucks for everyone involved.

I'm sorry, I didn't to go all rambly-meta on you, but your comments really got me thinking, so I appreciate the time you take to read and comment on all my stupid little stories. They always make me think and re-evaluate my writing, and (hopefully) get better.

• 2 months later...
  • QUIET ACHIEVER changed the title to When I Tell The Punch Line Wrong (by Jen) - comments