Most Popular Character

Guest Ryan

Can't say I was ever a huge fan of Colleen, who only seemed to stay on the show as long as she did because no-one noticed she was still there.Glad to see Melody still got a few points even though I didn't vote for her, ironic it came just after I stopped using her as my avatar...Nice to see Georgie Watson sneaking into the lower ranks of the list again too.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, some interesting ones...

I expected Colleen to be higher and also due to the fact that she just left the show recently, I would have thought some may have missed her and therefore voted for her.

Kim was a cool character at the start of the show, even if the actor looked like he was in his 20s. His relationship with Rachel was excellent despite the age difference, but the constant storylines with babies and eventually leaving with Kit showed that a lot of the viewers dislike him for the way he went about things in the end.

Gina would usually be one of those characters that warms to viewers, but she hasn't done that ,and I felt that lately in the show that she's been very annoying and been taking her relationship with John Palmer for granted.

I think everyone thought that the mystery storyline would 'WOW' us when it was revealed that Hugo was one of the ring leaders of the illegal immigration. Everyone knew that he was involved from about April 2009, yet we thought it was too obvious. I think the writers expected it to be a shock as well because he was Jack Holden's first cousin, who was a respected character and policeman in the community.

I was never Will's big fan from the start and his return didn't make me change my mind about him. If he hadn't returned, I doubt he would have even got a vote for starters. Also, he killed Penn which I wasn't happy about.

On the other hand, I always liked Will's brother Nick as a character. Back in the days when the Sutherlands were prominent and Nick and Seb were the main teenage characters, I always liked his character. His storyline with the infamous Angie Russell was big when it happened.

I never liked Shelley. She came across as annoying and was never willing to consider new ideas in the Drop In Centre. Flynn was a better counsellor than her and also she cheated on Beth when Rhys got back with her.

Good god, Melody was one of my most hated characters of all time. I couldn't stand the side of her right from the beginning. Yes I felt sympathetic for her at times because of her crazy mother, but I couldn't stand the way she tried to interfere in Geoff and Nicole's relationship and she caused the school formal disaster in the 2008 season finale. I'm glad she left soon after and I hope she never graces our screens ever again.

Beth was a good character, but she was unfortunately underused in her time on the show. I felt extremely sorry for her when Rhys cheated on her back in 2004, and that's probably one of the reasons why I never liked Shelley. It was sad when she died in 2007. Her death had a huge impact on Mattie and Tony at the time.

Johnny was one of my favourite characters of all time, but I can't remember if I listed him in my top 5. He was definitely one of the best villains that the show has ever had. The way he intimidated residents and his influence in the gang showed just how evil he was. He was also exciting to watch when on screen. Pity he died, as he was a great character.

I can't remember Roo from the 80s, but I heard she was quite the rebel and troublemaker and now she's extremely different these days. Some say she's different to the point of the current Roo almost being like a completely new character on the show. I agree, Georgie Parker's talents are being wasted on poor storylines involving Harvey.

Funny caption about Colleen Smart's niece, Narelle. I can't remember her but it makes me laugh that she only got one less vote than her despite her short time on the show.

Freya receiving two votes was a big surprise. She wasn't a memorable character and she was an obnoxious girl. She was quite attractive however.

I definitely agree with the caption about Georgina Watson. She was an underrated character and the most rational cop that's existed in the past few years. I still preferred Fitzy though.

Tom was a great father to his foster children. I remember when he died. It was extremely sad and the reactions from his family made for great T.V viewing. The foster children, especially Steven couldn't believe what had happened and were in shock, whereas Pippa carried on like nothing had happened and she was in denial about the whole situation. It was a sad time. At least Tom made a short reappearance as a ghost in 2008, when Sally was on the verge of death.

Freya receiving two votes was a big surprise. She wasn't a memorable character and she was an obnoxious girl. She was quite attractive however.

I voted for her and got the reaction from it and I'm proud,I voted for her too.I've voted for her in previous polls and will again,if I get the chance ^_^:P I still miss her :(

.Glad to see Melody still got a few points even though I didn't vote for her, ironic it came just after I stopped using her as my avatar

And I use it to talk about Rhys and a 1-hit wonder from the 70's.

I'll forgive you this time.Hopefully you can make up for it when she wins the 2014 vote after making a barnstorming return to the show and leaving all those who dismissed her when she was young eating their words.

Meanwhile, back in the real world...

Gina would usually be one of those characters that warms to viewers, but she hasn't done that ,and I felt that lately in the show that she's been very annoying and been taking her relationship with John Palmer for granted.

I think Gina is much more a product of the 2005-onwards Home and Away, as oppose to the more traditional mother roles in H&A's history. She has been involved in only a handful of 'warm and tender' moments during her time on the show, my favourite and actually the only one that stands out to me is when she 'broke' Mink down in 2010. That was a brilliant scene and I was expecting and hoping Gina would show that supportive, maternal side going forward. Although we have seen it here and there, the writers definitely haven't allowed that side of her to appear onscreen. Instead we get a much more emotionally unstable woman. It's interesting, but it doesn't do her popularity any favours. I just don't think the writers have fleshed her out very well or consistently enough.

It was the same with Beth from 05-onwards. During 03-04 she was a well rounded character, then she became quite inconsistent, came across as a bit prickly and lost a lot of her warmth. I ended up quite frustrated with the way they were writing her in the end and I remember having debates about it with forum members.

I think Gina is much more a product of the 2005-onwards Home and Away, as oppose to the more traditional mother roles in H&A's history. She has been involved in only a handful of 'warm and tender' moments during her time on the show, my favourite and actually the only one that stands out to me is when she 'broke' Mink down in 2010. That was a brilliant scene and I was expecting and hoping Gina would show that supportive, maternal side going forward.

See, I never liked that scene, largely because Gina has never been portrayed either before or since as the sort of person who could magically sort out a troubled teenager's problems with a two minute conversation and it just felt like a lazy plot device and a rather desperate attempt to justify Gina's place on the show, instead of giving that role to someone like Irene or Miles who I could actually have believed could do it.It didn't help that even in that scene she came across as rather cold and arrogant so when Mink broke down instead of telling her where to go, which in itself felt out of character given that they'd never liked or respected each other, I groaned rather than cheered.That said, after a very poor start, the storyline with Jett actually seems to be going well at the moment so perhaps all is not lost.

What I enjoy about the early part of the votes is the utterly random results it can sometimes bring. I mean, Indigo being level with Nathan Roberts (though I believe 4 people voted for Indigo, just one for Nathan). From now on, 2 people need to have voted for a character so their are fewer wildcards.

Archived