Donald Fisher - Norman Coburn

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Donald Fisher is one of my favourite characters as he is incredibly complex and often struggled to show emotion. Norman played the part beautifully and made the character his own over the years. He did very little in his last 2-3 years though, that sadly his departure didn't really the huge hole in the show that it should have :(

Was Donald always intended to remain a villain? It was only after a while, presumably when the series was extended beyond its initial run, that he started to become more three-dimensional. Or did he just start off "nasty" so he'd be a prime suspect for the Nutter storyline? 

He's also the most tragic character, as 3 of his 4 children passed away: Alan in 1988, Bobby in 1993 and baby Byron in 1999. Ironically, Belinda Emmett, the actress most-remembered for playing his surviving child, passed away in real life. 

On 27/10/2018 at 08:12, Homeandawayfan. said:

I think that ship has well and truly sailed. Norman is 81 now, and he has not been back since 2007 whereas he did pop back on occasions (2003-2007) after his official exit as a regular character in 2003.

I'm not surprised. I gave up watching regularly for a long time after episode 4000 (Chloe's pointless death was the final straw for me!), but I tuned in specifically to see his 2007 return, since he was one of my favourite characters. The way his character was treated in that stint was just awful.

4 minutes ago, adam436 said:

Donald Fisher is one of my favourite characters as he is incredibly complex and often struggled to show emotion. Norman played the part beautifully and made the character his own over the years. He did very little in his last 2-3 years though, that sadly his departure didn't really the huge hole in the show that it should have :(

Was Donald always intended to remain a villain? It was only after a while, presumably when the series was extended beyond its initial run, that he started to become more three-dimensional. Or did he just start off "nasty" so he'd be a prime suspect for the Nutter storyline? 

He's also the most tragic character, as 3 of his 4 children passed away: Alan in 1988, Bobby in 1993 and baby Byron in 1999. Ironically, Belinda Emmett, the actress most-remembered for playing his surviving child, passed away in real life. 

I'm not surprised. I gave up watching regularly for a long time after episode 4000 (Chloe's pointless death was the final straw for me!), but I tuned in specifically to see his 2007 return, since he was one of my favourite characters. The way his character was treated in that stint was just awful.

I just wish Donald was around til end of Angie saga as I would love to see him give Angie walk of shame. 

But I think Donald left at right time. 

• 1 year later...