Times Change

Guest Zetti

Chapter Ten

Brax could feel his heart pounding. This was the moment he had been waiting for. This was the moment of truth. 

"All rise."

He stood up knowing all too well just how devastated they both would be if this didn't go in their favour so he was trying to be positive and upbeat so that she wouldn't pick up on the tension.

"I have listened to the information and read the reports, taking into consideration that you have a business, means of support from your family and the wishes of the child leads me to be inclined to award you permanent custody. Your past however worries me. You have been known to take the law into your own hands." 

Brax wanted to respond but something told him to hold back. The judge looked at him and carried on. Brax got the feeling that he was about to get his baby but he tried to suppress it, getting his hopes up too high had the power to hurt him more.

“I am a big believer in judging people on their merits. Their lives now, but I would be wrong not to take your past into consideration. I have decided that you have changed and that you love your little girl so I am taking a chance and allowing you to have full custody." 

Brax sighed a breath of relief & smiled. "Thank you Your Honour."

She ran into his arms and he hugged her.

"Okay?” She nodded but didn't let go of her grip on his body.

"Do I get to meet my uncles now?"

"Yes they are waiting for you at your new house."

"What is my room like?" she asked as she held his hand & walked out of the courtroom. 

"I have not decorated it," he said and added quickly as her bottom started to quiver.

"I wanted you to decide what you wanted."

"Do I get a playroom?"

Brax smiled and answered all her questions scarcely believing that he has his baby girl in his life. He sent a text to Casey and Heath telling them of the good news and arranging to meet up at his so that she could finally meet her family.

‘Good news.’ Heath told Casey who had only just come over.

‘Brax?’

Heath nodded as he looked in on Rocco playing in the lounge blissfully unaware of what was going on.

‘So what did you say to her?’

‘I didn’t insult her if that’s what you’re asking.’

Casey shook his head in exasperation; he wanted to punch Heath but reined in the urge. ‘You don’t think she had a right to be upset?’

‘Yes she did, but if she hadn’t left, she would have never been abused.’

Casey was lost for words, instead of trying to help her, he was blaming her. ‘I am gonna go. Tell Brax I will talk to him later.’

‘Hold on, what the hell? Why?’

‘You work it out Einstein.’

Heath just looked confused as Casey walked out of the room and heard the door slam which made Rocco jump.

‘It's okay sport, just your Uncle Casey being a grump.’

‘What did you do to him?’

Heath shook his head at him and Rocco looked at him innocently. ‘Never you mind, Uncle Brax will be here soon. He’s got someone he wants you to meet.’

‘Not a girl?’ he scrunched up his face in disgust.

‘Oi! Don’t do that, you will find out when they come. Now go and wash your hands. He will be here soon.’

‘Girls are yucky.’ Rocco commented as he made his way towards the stairs. Heath watched him go up the stairs with a grin on his face and couldn’t help but smile at just how innocent he was. It must be so damn easy to be a child, no worries. Everything was black and white.

‘So where’s Rocco?’ Brax asked as he walked into the house.

‘Living room. Where is she?’

‘She’s in the garden, she will be here in a minute.’

‘Dad?’ Rocco asked.

‘Yes monster.’

‘I am not monster!’ he replied grumpily.

‘What is it?’

‘Where’s Unky Caseee?’

‘I don’t know, he will come later maybe?’

‘He better do. He owes me $5’

Brax and Heath looked at each other. Rocco looked smug and sauntered back into the living room.

‘He takes after you.’ Brax commented as his daughter walked into the room. She peered out from Brax’s leg.

‘Come here.’ He picked her up and Heath smiled.

‘This is your Uncle Heath. He looks ugly but he’s not that bad.’

‘Ignore your Dad. He’s just jealous of my good looks.’

She giggled. ‘My name’s Delilah.’

‘Nice to meet you Delilah. You want to meet your cousin?’

She wriggled out of Brax’s arms and took Heath’s hand. ‘Okay then.’

‘Rocco?’

He looked up and saw Heath. ‘Who is she?’

‘This is your cousin Delilah.’ Heath crouched down to Delilah’s level and spoke to them both.

‘You two going to play nice now?’

‘Do we have to?’ Rocco asked scrunching his face up. ‘She’s a girl.’

Delilah replied, ‘You’re an idiot.’

‘I am so not!’

‘So are.’

‘Are!’

‘Not!’

‘Play nice!’ Brax interrupted fixing them both with a pointed look before leaving them to it. Heath and Brax chuckled as they watched Rocco grab his toys and move to the corner.

Delilah wasn’t fazed, she just picked up the book that Brax had given her and read it, she giggled at some of the pictures in a bid to make Rocco curious.

Rocco looked at her and then stood up and sat next to her.

Heath grinned. ‘She’s sneaky.’

Brax laughed ‘Oh I know.’

‘She will wrap you around her finger, you do know that.’

‘Like you and Casey will be immune to it?’

‘True. She’s family and that means we protect her, you know that.’

‘Yeah I do.’

Chapter Eleven

Bianca was ready to go when she heard the front door slam. She knew something had happened. Tension seeped into the atmosphere.

‘Bianca?’ Casey called out wondering if she was around.

‘Hold on, I am coming.’

She made her way out of the room and walked towards the front door. Casey was pacing around looking angry.

‘What happened? Wasn’t expecting you back this early.’

‘Heath.’

That one word was enough to make her sigh. ‘What did he do?’

‘He said something that wound me up.’

‘Clearly, what was it?’ she asked trying not to get annoyed at Casey who was intent on pacing around, it was making her dizzy.

‘He goes if you hadn’t left then you would have never ended up in that abusive relationship.’

Bianca went pale as the words made the impact on her, she fell back against the stairs, they cushioned her fall and she just sat there not knowing what to say, she didn’t even know if she would be able to say anything.

‘Did he actually say that?’ she asked needing to be clear on what it was that Heath had said.

‘He said and I quote ‘but if she hadn’t left, she would have never been abused’’ placing air quotes around Heath’s words.

Bianca felt her anger rising. ‘I need to talk to him.’

‘No, you don’t, he’s a jerk but just leave him.’

‘No, either you get out of my way or I will make you, I don’t mind either way.’ She warned him and Casey knew that she meant to but he wanted to avoid the confrontation.

‘Listen, I would not normally stop you but Brax is there with his daughter and Rocco, this will not end well.’

‘I have to talk to him.’

‘I know.’

‘Move.’ She stated firmly.

‘Fine but I am coming with you and don’t argue with me. I can drive.’

‘Fine, let’s go.’

‘So where is Casey?’ he asked as he picked the pizza menu to order some food for them all.

‘He came but then went not long before you arrived,’ Heath said failing to mention his conversation with him.

‘Did he say why he had left?’

‘No.’

‘Oh didn’t I? I seem to remember it had something to do with your insult.’

Heath looked affronted and Brax was confused as he darted his gaze between the two of them attempting to gauge what had happened.

Bianca walked in a few moments later. ‘Is it true?’

‘What?’ he asked.

‘You saying that if I hadn’t left I wouldn’t have ended up abused, basically implying that I deserved to be abused.’

‘I never implied that.’

Brax stood between them. ‘The kids are inside, let's not do this.’

‘I want to see my niece.’ Casey put in.

‘Heath, go introduce him, I will follow.’

‘Fine.’

‘I won't tell him don’t worry, he doesn’t need to know.’

‘He’s angry, you know he is.’

‘I know, I just want him and Rocco back. I know it won't happen. I am gonna go, I need to get out of here. Tell Casey I am sorry but I need to do this.’

‘You need anything?’

She shook her head but Brax picked his phone. ‘I am going to transfer money over to you, you need it.’

‘No.’ she refused.

‘It is yours anyways, so don’t argue. I just need you to promise that you will stay in touch.’

‘I will.’

‘Where did she go?’ Heath asked as Brax joined them in the living room, Casey was playing with the kids, Delilah and Rocco were trying to wrestle him to the ground.

‘She’s gone, did you actually say that to Case?’

‘Yeah but I didn’t mean she deserved it, jeez no one deserves that.’

‘I know that but does she? You can’t say something like that and not expect a response, it isn’t fair.’

‘I know, Casey seemed pissed.’

Brax patted him on the back. ‘You will figure it out.’

‘Kids, pizza?’

‘Oooh yes!’

‘Come on then, we can go for a drive.’

‘I am in the front.’ Rocco squealed.

‘No, I am.’

‘Neither of you are in the front, now if you want pizza, come on!’

They grumbled but left the room. Heath spoke up. ‘I didn’t mean it like that, I was angry, you know that Rocco has to come first and to be honest I do not trust her.’

‘I know you don’t trust her but at the end of the day, she hurt you, I know that but she had her reasons, think about it, she had been fighting something that she never thought she would ever overcome. Then she ends up in an abusive relationship.’

‘Casey..’ he started but stopped as Casey looked over his shoulder to see Bianca stood there.

‘I thought you’d gone.’ Heath told her.

‘I need to talk to you.’

‘Okay.’

‘What did you mean by what you said?’

‘I was angry, you didn’t trust me, to stay with me, to trust me to help you through it. Dammit Bianca, we are married!’

Casey’s jaw dropped open at that news. ‘What the hell?’

Bianca looked at Heath whilst ignoring Casey, ‘Don’t you see that is exactly why I had to go, just being in your life hurt because I thought I was going to die, how could I make you watch as I wasted away.’

Casey didn’t even know what to say so he just walked out of the room. Brax arrived back not much later.

‘Where’s Dad?’ Rocco asked.

‘Never you mind, have your pizza.’

‘We got you some as well, you want to eat with me?’

Delilah stood on the side of Casey and dragged him to sit between her and Rocco. Brax couldn’t help but smile as they bickered amongst each other causing Rocco to end up glaring at them both. Something was on Casey’s mind but he couldn’t pinpoint what, he resolved to find out just what it was.

‘Look!’ Bianca stopped him. ‘This is not getting us anywhere, we need to work out what we are going to do next.’

‘Next?’

‘I don’t have any right to ask this.’

‘Then don’t ask.’

‘I have to ask, I want Rocco to know who I really am.’

‘No,’ he all but growled at her. ‘He’s been through enough, he doesn’t need the upheaval of having to be shuffled between homes.’

‘What are you saying then?’

‘I don’t know but Rocco needs stability not uncertainty.’

‘I agree.’

‘You should move in with me.’

Bianca frowned at that before Heath added. ‘Separate bedrooms.’

‘Okay, are you sure about this?’

‘Wouldn’t have said it otherwise.’

‘I don’t know if you’re serious,’ she admitted, ‘I would like it, to be near Rocco all the time but are you sure you can do this?’

‘Can you?’ his eyes were hooded and dark leaving Bianca with no illusions as to what he was referring to.

‘Yes.’ She replied but Heath knew she was lying, he knew she wanted him just as much as he wanted him.

• 5 weeks later...

Chapter Twelve

Three hours had passed since Brax and Delilah had gone home but not before Rocco complained. Delilah had managed to win him over and they seemed inseparable. Casey finally wore Rocco out and he ended up curling up on Heath’s lap snoring away.

‘Wore him out then,’ Heath commented.

‘He’s a tyke.’

Heath laughed and smiled. Bianca couldn’t help but wish she could hold Rocco but she had to tread carefully. Rocco didn’t know she was his mum yet and there was no way to predict the way he would react.

‘Ready?’ Casey asked Bianca.

Heath frowned. Bianca had told him that she was staying with Casey but he didn’t like it, he wanted to be able to keep his eye on her.

‘Why don’t you just stay with me tonight?’

‘Not yet, Rocco doesn’t know who I am yet, I don’t think it’s fair to confuse him.’

At that moment, Rocco decided to wake up and as much as Heath loved him, he found himself wishing Rocco would fall asleep again.

‘Dad?’

‘Yes mate?’

‘I’m tired.’

Heath smiled and picked him up. ‘It is time you went to bed.’

Usually Rocco would have complained but his head flopped onto Heath’s shoulder as he grumbled. Bianca smiled.

Her heart tightened at the sight of Heath holding their son and putting him to bed. Something else that she had missed out on, but she had no one to blame but herself.

‘Don’t.’ Heath said.

‘Don’t what?’

‘You’re focusing on what you missed on, forget it, focus on doing what is right, come back tomorrow morning and we will tell him. Case? You mind putting Rocco to bed; I need to talk to Bianca.’

‘Sure.’ He picked up a sleeping Rocco and walked up the stairs and out of hearing distance.

‘I cannot pretend that I trust you because I don’t, in time I hope I can because Rocco deserves to have two parents who love him and don’t argue with each other which is why I am putting down some ground rules.’

‘Sounds fair, what rules?’

‘You cannot leave the house alone with Rocco.’

Bianca nodded as Heath continued. ‘You can spend time with him outside of the house as long as I know where you are and I agree because I have spent three years looking after him and I don’t want him to get hurt.’

‘That’s fine, anything else?’

‘Separate rooms and one more thing.’

‘What is it?’ she asked.

‘I don’t want you talking about me behind my back. If you need anything I am here but otherwise I don’t want my business spread around.’

‘Okay I can accept that.’

‘Great then tomorrow morning.’

Bianca nodded and stood up as Casey came down the stairs.

‘Ready?’

‘Yeah let's go.’

‘See you tomorrow.’ Heath put in and Bianca looked at him pointedly.

‘Tomorrow it is.’

Morning came too quickly for Heath, as much as he wanted to keep his eye on Bianca, he didn’t want to share Rocco with her which was stupid but it was how he felt.

‘Dad? I am hungry.’

‘Cereal?’

‘I want pancakes.’

Heath inwardly groaned, the last time he made pancakes, it didn’t end well but he smiled. He looked at him and said, ‘Cereal.’

‘Please pancakes?’ he looked at him with his trademark sulky face but Heath refused to budge.

‘Cereal or nothing, it is your choice. You can go hungry or you can have cornflakes.’

Rocco glared at him crossing his arms across his chest. Heath knew a tantrum was coming but Rocco was not going to get his own way.

Heath made his way into the kitchen and Rocco grumpily followed him. Cereal was placed in the bowl with milk. Rocco sat on the chair in front of it and looked at Heath.

‘Do I have to?’

‘If you want breakfast, yes you do.’

‘Can I have pancakes tomorrow?’

‘Maybe.’ Heath smiled knowing he had won this battle.

‘Hello?’

‘Hey, you want breakfast?’

‘I’ve eaten thanks.’

Rocco looked between the two of them and then coughed, ‘Dad? Feed me?’

‘I can do that if you want.’

‘Can she dad? Please?’

‘Go on then. I will be back in a minute,’ he said deciding to give her a bit of time with Rocco, he returned a few moments later and looked at Bianca. She nodded to his silent question, ‘Are you ready?’

‘Rocco, I need to talk to you.’

‘Am I in trouble?’ he asked confused.

‘No, you’re not.’

‘What is it then?’

‘You remember asking about your mum?’

He nodded but Heath got the feeling he was more confused, he sat down and Rocco sat on his lap. He made Rocco look up at him.

‘You remember me telling you that she would come back one day?’

Rocco nodded, ‘Yeah, when she wanted to see me again but you said that you didn’t think she would.’

Bianca flinched slightly but didn’t say a word. They had agreed that Heath would tell him and then it was up to Rocco to decide what he wanted to do. She stood up and walked out of the room. She couldn’t be there when Rocco realised. Heath didn’t go after her, he would see how she was after.

‘Yeah well she is back now.’

‘Who is she?’

‘Bianca.’

Rocco turned around and then looked at his dad again, his face was blank as he tried to gauge what Rocco was thinking or feeling. He got his answer when Rocco got off his lap and walked in the direction that Bianca had previously gone.

‘You are my mummy?’ he asked Bianca who was stood facing the door. She turned around and nodded.

Rocco looked at her and screamed out, ‘I don’t want you here!’

‘Rocco..’ Heath called out as Rocco ran out of the room, into the kitchen and then to the garden.

‘Go after him.’

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to steal 20 minutes to update this for you all, there is only 3
chapters left. Enjoy :closedeyes:

Chapter Thirteen

Heath ran after Rocco and scooped him up before he could run any further.

‘Rocco, it’s okay, I am here.’

Rocco was struggling to breathe through all the tears, Heath held him in his arms until the crying had
died down and he was calmer than he was earlier.

‘It’s okay.’ Heath picked him up again and walked towards the house, Rocco buried his head in Heath’s shoulders,
and his face was wet from the tears. Bianca stood in the kitchen looking wary and not sure of what she was supposed to say.

‘Can I go to my room?’ he whispered into Heath’s shoulder.

‘Yeah go on.’

Rocco walked past Bianca but didn’t look at her. Bianca looked like someone had knocked her out.

‘Sit down before you fall down.’

She gripped the worktop but she couldn’t find the energy in her legs to move anymore. Heath walked up to
her and dragged her into his arms enveloping her with his strength and warmth.

‘Sorry, I didn’t expect that.’

‘I know, he will come around, I know he will.’

‘I don’t know.’ she replied as Heath eased away from her but still kept her in his arms.

‘He will, he’s in shock and he’s hurting. You had to expect that he was going to react badly. He’s only three,
he doesn’t get it.’

‘I know. I love him Heath, I know I have only been around for a while but I do love him.’

‘He’s easy to love.’

Bianca smiled at him before they sprung apart as they heard a car in the driveway. Bianca stepped away and
walked to the living room looking up the stairs to see if she could see if Rocco was there but there was no sign.

‘Hey Bianca,’ Brax said as he walked in.

‘Brax.’

‘Dad?’ Delilah said as she followed him into the room on Heath’s shoulders.

‘What?’

‘Can I play with Rocco?’

‘You will have to ask your Uncle Heath.’

Heath grinned as Delilah started playing with his hair. ‘Can I?’

‘Go on. Go find him. He’s upstairs.’

‘Ooh, yay!’

‘I think I better go,’ Bianca said as she walked towards them.

‘No, you have to stay, the only way he will get used to you is if you show him, you are not going
anywhere.’

Brax intervened, ‘Am I missing something here?’

‘We told Rocco this morning, he didn’t react in a good way.’

‘Did you expect him to?’

‘Not really.’

‘Brax, how come you came over? Is there a problem?’

‘No problem. Delilah wanted to see Rocco, and I do need to go to work for a bit, you mind looking after
them both?’

‘Anytime.’

Bianca walked out of the house and towards the street, she needed to be alone for a while. Heath watched
as she walked away, she turned back to look at the house. He gave her a nod and then she smiled weakly before turning back towards the road and striding away.

Casey stared at his computer screen, it was past 6:00 pm, everyone had already left the building but yet he was still staring at the screen.

He was sure he was going to go insane but it was better than going home to an empty apartment. He didn’t
really fancy being alone.

Brax had Delilah, and Heath had Rocco.

He really didn’t have anyone, which is why he jumped at the opportunity for Bianca to stay with him
so he didn’t have to endure the silence.

The unbearable silence, it was the one thing that he hated but the one thing that he was actually used to. His phone rang made him jump.

‘Hello?’

‘It's Heath, you coming down? Everyone is here.’

‘Your place?’

‘Yep, up for it?’

‘Sure, will be there soon.’

‘You sound weird, what is up with you?’

Casey had no response for him that would mean the end of the conversation so he resorted to ‘Work just
being work, got a potential deal that doesn’t seem to want to close.’

‘That is always the case. How long you going to be?’

Twenty minutes.’

‘Rocco!’ Heath screamed.

‘I will see you soon.’

‘Sorry, yeah.’ He cut the phone off no doubt to deal with Rocco misbehaving.

‘No problem,’ he said to the dead phone.

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter Fourteen

The beach was just how she remembered it, she shouldn’t be back here, and she should be in the city with her son and her husband despite the fact that she wasn’t going to be his wife for much longer. She stared out at the beach, the trickle of sun peering over the horizon emitting a light over the beach. She stood up and made her way back up to the top of the beach and heading towards the diner.

‘Bianca? Darl is that you?’ Irene asked as she walked into the diner together .

‘Irene.’

‘Oh my gosh! It is you, where have you been all this time girly?’

Bianca managed a weak smile, the diner was the same. The atmosphere gave her a sense of calm. 'In the city.'

‘No excuse not to visit though…’ Irene pointed out, Bianca raised her head sure that she would encounter wary eyes but she was reassured when Irene smiled back at her.

‘Want a coffee?’

‘A latte.’ Bianca said as she found a table.

‘Alright, a latte coming up.’

‘Rocco?’ Heath called out as he walked into the garden, Rocco had ventured out there with Delilah only ten minutes earlier.

‘Dad?’

Heath turned to see Rocco with his ball and Delilah behind him.

‘Food time.’

‘Pizza?’

‘No, pasta. Come on and wash your hands before you eat, you as well Delilah.’

Delilah and Rocco scrunched up their faces at the exact same time, which made it hard for Heath not to laugh but he gestured for them both to enter the house, he looked at his phone but there was no messages at all, He wanted to know how Bianca was but he was adamant that she was going to make the first move.

‘Where’s Beebee?’ Delilah asked not having been able to get the hang of her name.

‘She’s gone out.’

‘Will she be back?’ Delilah asked

‘Yes, later on.’

Rocco didn’t speak, he just sat waiting for his food. Heath knew he was holding something back but he was too young to get exactly what was happening.

‘Pull the file for the meeting today,’ Casey instructed his personal assistant as she grimaced at the screen. She had spent a few hours arranging the schedule trying to fit everything in but Casey was no mood to be messed around.

‘The file, now!’ he repeated showing no signs of letting her slacken with her working attitude. She seemed to be slacking a lot lately.

‘I will get the file, anything else?’ she asked smiling up at him.

‘That’s it, oh and Miss Green.’

‘Yes Mr Braxton?’

‘Once you are done, I want to see you in my office.’

‘Of course sir, I will get you the file now.’

‘Yes sir.’

‘Sir, here is the file, anything else I can do for you?’ she asked unsure of why he had called her into his office, she prayed it was not anything bad. She needed this job, without it, she would have nothing.

‘Change your attitude or I will have no choice but to terminate your employment and I will do it.’

‘Sir. Anything else?’

‘That is it.’ He dismissed her and watched as she walked out of the room. He momentarily pondered whether he had been too cruel to her but he shook his head, she was paid to do a job and if she didn’t do it to his expectations then he was well within his rights to terminate her employment. He needed staff he could actually rely on.

There was a knock on the door, he looked up to see his PA there. ‘Problem?’

‘No, there is a Bianca Scott here to see you?’

Casey frowned, since when did Bianca go by her maiden name but he nodded, ‘Let her in.’

His PA made her way out but Casey called her back. ‘Our earlier conversation, you have no reason to worry, as long as you do what you are supposed to do, your job is safe.’

‘Thanks Mr Braxton.’

He nodded as she left the room with Bianca entering a few moments later. She sat down and looked at him.

‘What’s up with you?’ she asked

‘Shouldn’t I be asking you that?’

‘Forget me, you have been AWOL for a few days.’

‘I know, just been focusing on work.’

‘Work or just avoiding us all?’

Casey shifted in his seat and looked at her straight in the eye. ‘What you talking about?’

‘You haven’t been around, everyone has noticed.’

‘And they sent you to work out why?’

‘Neither of them know I am here, I don’t even know why I am here.’

Casey shook his head. ‘I am fine, just busy.’

‘Yeah right, and I am the queen of England.’

‘Your Majesty.’

Bianca chuckled wryly and stared him down.

‘I am fine, don’t worry about me, just let me take a few more days and then I will be in contact.’

‘You better do.’ Bianca stated.

‘I will. Since when did you go by your maiden name?’

‘Since Heath gave me divorce papers.’

‘Seriously?’ Casey asked in disbelief not sure what to say or do.

‘Yep. It’s the right thing to do, we cant stay married to each other not when he doesn’t trust me anymore. I guess I just have to accept that.’

‘Do you want to stay married to him?’

‘Honestly, I don’t know. It's just weird.’

‘Yeah that’s one word for it.’

Chapter Fifteen

The office was immaculate. Not a speck of dust in sight but the sight of it made Bianca queasy. It was too clean for her.

She was used to mess especially living with Rocco and Heath for the past three months, nothing had really changed.

Rocco wouldn’t acknowledge her unless Heath made him but Delilah was chatty and open. She had hoped that time would soften Rocco’s attitude to her but she accepted that he was a kid and he was protecting himself more than anything which is why she was here, to make life easier for them both.

‘Mrs Braxton.’ The solicitor walked in.

‘Mr Atherton.’

‘So what can I do for you?’

‘I want to find out how long till my divorce is final.’

‘Within a couple of weeks since you have both signed the divorce papers.’

‘Is there anything I need to do for the divorce now?’

‘No, you will get the divorce through soon and then you are free.’

‘Right okay that’s great.’

‘Is there anything else?’

Bianca nodded and explained her plan to him. ‘I want to transfer all the money I have into a trust fund for my son but he will not have access to it until he is eighteen.’

‘Right, does Mr Braxton know about this?’

‘Not yet, I want to finalise it and then I will let him know.’

‘Right let me get that sorted for you then.’

‘Thanks.’

‘Rocco!’

‘Yes Dad?’ Rocco came down the stairs "with a butter wouldn’t melt smile on his face" to a room which was cluttered full of toys.

‘Clean your toys up.’

‘Aww..but..’

Heath’s glare stopped him midsentence and he gulped.

‘Clean it up and if you don’t, you will not be allowed to watch TV for a week.’

‘Dad..’

‘Now.’

‘Okay then,’ he pulled a sulky expression as he began to clear his toys away.

Bianca walked in and Rocco stopped. She didn’t look at him but just asked Heath a question.

‘Can I talk to you in the kitchen?’

‘Sure.’

‘What is it?’ he asked as he walked into the kitchen following her.

‘We both know me living here is not working, Rocco will never accept me and I’ve accepted it, I have to. I spoke to my solicitor today, all the money I have from the divorce is now in a trust fund for him. You can give it to him when he turns eighteen.’

‘Hold on. So what you are just leaving?’

‘I am moving out, I won’t be far but we both know I can’t stay here anymore, we are pretty much divorced now and Rocco can’t accept me as his mother. It breaks my heart to do this but he’s better off without me.’

‘No, you cannot do this. You walk back into our lives, I let you close to him and now you are going to walk away again? I don’t think so. He deserves better than that.’

‘That’s my point, he deserves to be happy and he isn’t because I am here, I am sorry I don’t want to walk away but I have to. He will never be able to accept me here, and you know that. Do you actually think it doesn’t break my heart to see you hold him and make him feel better, to know he wants you to be there and not me.’ Her voice broke but she carried on, ‘I know I deserve to go through that because I never should have walked away and that is something that I will regret for the rest of my life but I can’t live like this anymore, if that makes me selfish,

then fine, I am selfish but I have to. I don’t expect you to understand but I can’t do it anymore. I just can’t.’

‘Bianca..’

‘No please don’t. I am fine, I will get my things and then explain to Rocco I am leaving and then I will go.’

‘How am I supposed to keep in contact with you?’

‘You have my mobile number; I will ring you when I am ready.’

‘You don’t have to do this.’

‘I do, I really do.’ She walked out of the room to see Rocco finishing tidying up. She walked past him and up the stairs to her room, the moment that the door clicked shut, she slid down and let the tears overwhelm her. The tears were three months of pent up frustration and hurt over not being able to fix her wrongdoings.

After about an hour, she began packing her things into a bag so that she could leave with. She knew half the battle was walking away from them both especially since she didn’t know how she was supposed to and that she really didn’t want to walk away. She braced herself and walked down the stairs. Rocco was sat on the couch playing with Heath’s phone. Heath was stood by the door.

‘Going now?’

She nodded unable to speak. Heath walked up to Rocco and bent to his level. Rocco went willingly into his arms.

‘What is it Dad?’ he asked as his blue eyes widened in confusion. Bianca felt like someone had put a wrench on her heart and was ripping it apart but she knew this was the right thing to do.

‘Your Mum is leaving.’

‘Where?’ he directed it at Bianca.

‘Not far, I will still be around.’

Rocco struggled out of Heath’s arm and stood next to Bianca. For a few long moments, they just looked at each other before Rocco muttered. ‘Bye.’

Heath watched as Bianca’s fell before she covered it up with a neutral expression but deep inside, he could tell that she was struggling to keep it together.

‘Bye.’ She whispered as Rocco walked up the stairs and out of sight. She picked up her bag and walked to the garden, Heath followed but she stopped him.

‘Don’t, please don’t, it’s too hard. I will let you know where I am but till then please leave me alone.’

Heath nodded even though it was the last thing he wanted to do but he had to respect her wishes. He watched as she walked away from the house, down the road and out of his sight.

The final chapter, enjoy.

Chapter Sixteen

‘How long has it been she talked to you?’ Casey asked Heath when the three brothers met up for the regular night in.

‘About a week now, she did say she would contact me when she is ready.’

Brax stayed quiet. He understood why Bianca had left the house but not why she was so quiet and not in contact with them all.

Rocco was still her son despite the fact that he refused to acknowledge her. He knew how much that would hurt him if Delilah did that to him so on one level he understood what she was going through.

‘A long time though,’ Casey pointed out.

‘Yeah it is, Rocco hasn’t said a word about it though.’

‘Probably because she walked away again, but kids are resilient, he will be fine.’

‘Yeah I know he will.’

‘What about you?’ Brax asked, ‘How are you coping without her around?’

‘It’s really strange not having her here. It feels weird.’

Casey looked at Brax and they both nodded at each other knowingly but saying nothing which just annoyed Heath that little bit more.

‘Someone want to clue me in as to what is going on?’ Heath demanded but was stopped in his tracks as Rocco came down the stairs sniffling. He went straight into Heath’s arms and snuggled himself against his chest.

‘What’s wrong?’

‘Lilah was being mean.’

Brax grimaced and knew that he would have to have words with Delilah.

‘I am sure she didn’t mean it.’ Heath responded in a bid to pacify Rocco who was sniffling into his chest.

‘She said it was my fault.’

‘What did she say?’ Heath asked.

‘She said Beebee left because of me.’

Heath pulled him closer to him and kissed his hair. He didn’t know what to say, they were both missing her but how was he supposed to persuade her to come back. What could he do?

‘It’s not your fault.’ They heard a voice from the doorway where Bianca stood.

Rocco looked up and into her eyes. Bianca didn’t dare break eye contact, there was something in Rocco’s eyes that made her convinced he wanted to come towards her but he needed the courage.

Heath didn’t say anything, but internally he was imploring Rocco to go forward. Rocco slowly moved away from Heath and towards Bianca.

Bianca still refused to break eye contact and when Rocco ran towards her, she opened her arms and let him jump into him, hugging him close and just revelling in his softness, his hair and just the fact that for the first time in three years, she was holding her son.

Tears fell but she hugged Rocco until he wriggled out of her arms. He grabbed her hand and dragged her over to where Heath was. Casey and Brax excused themselves and went to check on Delilah.

‘Dad.’ Rocco demanded his attention.

‘Yes sport.’

‘I want Mum to live here again.’

Bianca stopped at the sound of Rocco calling her Mum.

‘Are you sure?’

Rocco nodded and looked up at Bianca who picked him up. Rocco snuggled himself into her shoulder and smiled.

‘I want you to live with us. I want you and Daddy to be together.’

Bianca looked at Heath who then hugged her and kissed her. ‘I want that as well.’

‘Really?’

‘Yes.’

Bianca grinned as Rocco went into Heath’s arms so he could hold them both in his arms. She smiled as she looked up at the two men in her life.

One year later

So much had changed, the divorce came through and they got remarried. Heath bought a new house which was closer to the Bay so Irene could be a bigger part of their lives.

‘Are you sure you want to do this?’ Bianca asked as she looked over the small bundle in the cot. Her beautiful daughter.

‘She will be fine. She has you all day, you’re mine tonight. Irene will be fine.’

‘She’s so small. I don’t want to leave her.’

‘I promise you she will be fine. She’s our little miracle. Phoebe Braxton.’

‘It's amazing, four years ago. Everything was different compared to now. We have a family.’

‘And we have each other.

‘Yes we do..’

A big thankyou to QA for proofreading this fic, thanks everyone who has read and stayed with the story. :)

Archived