Confusion

Guest Zetti

Chapter Thirty-One

Lucy was sat in the garden on the patio chair with John, Ruby was sat on the grass watching Elsie and Esme play on the trampoline. It was a hard task trying to get them both to get off the trampoline when it was time but it meant that they both bonded.

‘Has Ryan dealt with Grant yet?’

‘Sort of’

‘How do you mean?’ she asked looking at him. At times she could hardly believe she was here with him and their daughter.

‘Ryan’s got to choose’

‘Choose what?’ she asked

‘If he takes Grant down then he goes down as well’

Lucy sighed wistfully ‘We knew it could happen’

‘I know, he was willing to do it, but things are different now’

‘Because of the pregnancy’ Lucy realised as John nodded

‘If it wasn’t then he’d take his punishment’

‘If he did go down, how long?’

‘Something like 4 years’

‘He needs to talk to her’

‘That’s the plan’ Ryan said from behind her making Lucy jump.

‘Sorry didn’t mean to make you jump’

‘Its fine, guessing John gave you a key’

‘Yep’ he said but his attention was fixed on Ruby. She was sat on the grass, watching Esme on the trampoline. Elsie was sat on the edge of the trampoline laughing.

‘How have they been?’ Ryan asked as he sat next to John and accepted the beer.

‘Good, morning sickness has taken over but she seems okay’

Ryan nodded. ‘Has she said anything about me?’

‘Ruby hasn’t but Elsie has’

‘What has she said?’ he asked

‘Just when was she going to see you again’ Lucy said smiling

‘Sounds like me as well’ Ryan said laughing.

Ruby knew he was there, she sensed his presence, she wanted nothing more than to crawl onto his lap and let him comfort her, but she wasn’t sure.

Do it.

Ruby frowned, and ignored it

Do it, you love him, he’s trying to make it up to you but you got to help him somehow…

Ruby stood up and walked towards him, she was tired and fed up of morning sickness, she wanted someone to take care of her. Ryan didn’t even realise she was walking towards him, he was too busy talking to John, she reached him and he looked up at her.

‘Ruby’

‘Ryan’

‘She’s back?’ Brax asked when Heath dropped the children off.

‘Yeah, this morning’

‘How did the children take it?’

‘Both were over the moon’

Brax looked at the children who had planted themselves on the couch playing with the teddies and the books that Brax had put out for them.

‘And you?’ he asked slowly as he closed the door behind them.

‘I told her I loved her’

Brax didn’t blink an eyelid, he knew that Heath loved her but just didn’t know how to express his feelings around it.

‘What did she say?’

‘That she knows I feel the same but she wanted to talk to me but then the kids interrupted us’ he said with a half-smile.

‘Get used to it.’ Brax said laughing and looking at Charlie who was being tickled by Max and Lola. Charlie was now 4 months pregnant.

‘I missed that’ Heath said quietly

‘Don’t go there, you have your kids now, they love you and there’s nothing to say you can’t have kids in the future’

‘I know but I guess I just wanted to be a part of their lives in that way’ he admitted with a rueful look on his face pushing his hands through his hair.

‘Don’t dwell. She can’t change the past; carrying on punishing her will not help’

‘You think I’m punishing her?’

Brax cocked a look at him and dragged him out of the earshot of the twins but luckily Charlie realised that they were talking and distracted the kids by going outside with them to play on the new trampoline.

‘What do you call ordering her to marry you? Pretty much barging in and not letting her adjust’

‘She kept them from me!’ his voice raised

‘I do know. I was as angry as you were remember!’ Brax shot back at him causing Heath to adopt a guilty expression on his face.

‘Sorry, but how was I punishing her?’

‘You didn’t give her a chance, it had to be your way, just imagine being in her shoes. Alone with two kids not knowing if she would want the kids, being uncertain and scared.’ He paused

‘And then to find you being completely domineering and controlling. On top of that, she’s vulnerable. She loves you and yet you can’t say it back, so yeah that’s punishment. In her eyes, you are punishing her for the past. Her choice to hide the fact that she was carrying your babies, but holding onto the past doesn’t help, it just hurts’

Heath took in Brax’s words, he never saw it in that way. He could see where Brax was coming from.

‘If I was you, let it go, Harbouring grudges will only make you both bitter and it doesn’t just affect you, it will hurt Max and Lola as well’

He nodded ‘I know, I better go, I will pick them up later’

‘Don’t worry, I will drop them off, I get the feeling its gonna be a nightmare trying to get her off the trampoline’

‘Lola?’ he frowns

‘Charlie’ he grinned making Heath laugh.

‘Good luck’ he murmured with a laugh

‘See you later’ Heath heard as he walked to the door and left the house. He walked towards the beach, he sent Bianca a text.

Don’t disappear, am gonna go for a walk, need to think, talk to you later. Heath x

Heath knew he needed time to think, the past few months had just been so jam-packed with him focusing on the children.

He never realised just how much it really affected Bianca.

He had never asked though when he first found out about the kids but his anger had encompassed so much of his emotions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter Thirty-Two

Ryan walked onto the patio where Ruby was sat with Lucy and John watching the kids play. Lucy excused herself and went to the children with John closely following her after a well-aimed kick that made him realise that privacy was needed.

‘Sit’ he said looking at her.

She surprised him by crawling into his lap and wrapping her arms around him.

‘Just hold me’ she murmured and his arms tightened around hers. One of his hands lay on her abdomen where their baby lay.

‘I am so sorry’ he whispered into her hair

‘Don’t, the future is what counts, Have you dealt with Grant yet?’

‘Not yet’

‘How come?’

‘The only way I can do that is if I give up information that implicates me’

‘Jailtime?’ she asked knowing the answer before he had even said anything.

He nodded causing Ruby to cry ‘I don’t want to lose you’

‘I am yours, I always have been, don’t ever forget that’

‘How long?’

‘About 4 years’

Ruby closed her eyes, she couldn’t imagine not having him in her life or their children’s for the next 4 years. More tears fell silently as her body wracked with the effects of the tears.

‘Shh, Please don’t cry’

‘You have to do it don’t you?’

He sighed and nodded ‘I do, I don’t want to ‘ rubbing her stomach and looking over at the garden where John was spinning Elsie around.

‘I know but you have to. Grant needs to be put away’

‘Karma’

‘Huh?’

‘I lied and hurt you, it’s payback’

Ruby sighed and sat up so she could see his face but he didn’t move his arms, he had no desire to let her move away from him

‘Don’t, stop blaming yourself, it gets neither of us anywhere.’

‘You know I have to do it don’t you?’

She nodded ‘I know. I love you but you have to’

Ryan held her close to him knowing that after this, he would never get the chance to hug her again, he would miss the birth of their baby, he wouldn’t get the chance to watch Elsie grow up.

Missed birthdays.

Christmases.

‘What you thinking’ Ruby asked as she stroked his cheek and rested her head on his shoulder enjoying his strength around her.

‘Just everything I am going to miss out on, this baby, birthdays, Christmas, spending time with you all’

Ruby didn’t know what to say to him, it was a hard situation to be in, a really hard situation to be in. She sighed and sat up so she could see Elsie.

‘I hate this, we should be waking up next to each other, spending time with Elsie.’

‘I know, I just wish I had another option, I have no choice’

‘Actually that might not be strictly true’ John said as he walked up the table with Lucy following him.

Esme walked up holding Elsie’s hand. Elsie spotted Ryan and jumped up towards him. He smiled at her but he wanted to know what John was going to say…

He asked Esme. ‘I left some presents for you both in the hallway, go and open them’

Elsie squealed in delight as they both ran towards the hallway. Lucy laughed and shook her head good-naturedly ‘You spoil them’

‘Ah of course I do, anyways John?’

‘You have to take Grant down, you know that’

‘Yeah which means jail time’ he said as Ruby sat next to him not really knowing what to say or do.

‘Not necessarily’

‘What then?’

‘Strike a deal’

‘Like what?’

‘Give them what they want and say the only way you will testify is if all charges against you are dropped’

Ryan sighed and stood up ‘I have already considered that and I cant’

Ruby intervened ‘Why not? You were just saying how much you are going to hate not being in our lives, being here when this baby comes, so what has changed?’

‘I still want that, but I have to pay for my crimes’

John looked at Ryan ‘All this time you have done what you can to get out of that world, and you succeeded, stop looking at the whole thing like its your fault. Yeah you made mistakes, and yes you blame yourself, but it would have happened with or without you.’

Lucy put her hand on John’s arm in a bid to calm him down but John carried on. ‘You keep saying that you want to be with your family, don’t let the past stop you, and do not let Grant win!’

‘Ryan please, if there is a way to stay in our lives, do it because I don’t want to lose you, I need you, we all need you’ she pleaded holding onto his arm and placed a hand on her abdomen. ‘This baby needs its dad’

‘If I do this, it means witness protection, can you accept that because it means losing everything’

‘John and I have already talked about this, if they will let us, we will come with you, so we are together’

‘It works, Esme and Elsie love each other, its up to you’

‘Please, Ryan, please’ Ruby repeated as tears fell again, Ryan looked at her and drew her into his arms and stroked her hair.

‘Okay, I will, I promise. Just don’t cry, please don’t cry’

Chapter Thirty-Three

‘Heath?’

‘Bianca.’ He said in surprise.

‘Sorry I didn’t know you were here’

‘I needed to think’

Bianca sat next to him hugging her knees to her chest staring out at the ocean. She wasn’t sure what to say to him and Heath didn’t try and talk to her which she conceded was a good idea, neither of them knew what to say to each other.

Moments passed with no speech and tears began to flow out of Heath’s eyes silently as he stared out onto the world.

‘Heath?’ she asked as she forced him to look at her, his eyes were pained and red from his tears. She used her thumbs to wipe away the tears.

‘I’m just glad you are back’ he said.

She shuffled so that she was sat in between his legs looking at the ocean with Heath’s arms and legs cradling her, she realise that for the first time in a long time, she felt safe and happy.

‘I shouldn’t have left’

‘No I am glad you did, it made me realise just how much I need you in my life’ he placed his head on Bianca’s neck and kissed her hair away.

‘Why did you cry?’

‘I told you’

‘Heath. I know you better than that, there’s something that is haunting you. Tell me’

‘Nothing’

‘Heath’ she twisted around so that whilst she was in Heath’s arms, she could see his face and while the tears had stopped, the pain was still evident in his eyes.

It made her heart ache to see it, she loved him more than anything in the world and to physically see him in pain was hard.

‘Tell me’ she asked him gently in order to make him realise that he could talk to her, and that she was not going anywhere’

‘I have never told anyone in the past about this.’

‘So your brothers don’t know’

‘No they know, they were around but since then I never told anyone, I couldn’t, it was just too hard.

Bianca squeezed his arm to let him know that she was there. She said nothing, she knew he had to say it in his own time, it was better for her to say absolutely nothing and to let him explain.

‘I had a twin’

Bianca looked at him as tears formed. ‘She died’

‘How?’

‘She drowned’

Heath shuddered and Bianca hugged him, he put his arms around her instinctively and held her close to him.

‘It was a normal day, she wanted a swim, she asked me to come with her but I was in a bad mood so I snapped at her and refused.’

‘Oh Heath..’

‘No let me finish, I need to say it.’ He looked at her as she nodded and settled her head on his shoulders comforting him as he carried on.

‘She was so annoyed with me, she ranted at me and she was the only one that I let rant because she was my twin, the other half of me’

‘Go on’

‘She went to the beach and the conditions were not suitable for swimming, it was so damn dangerous and yet she still went out there’

‘Stubborn then’

Heath managed a weak smile. ‘She really was.’

‘She sounds like she was a match for you’

Heath smiled and looked at her. ‘She was my other half, a part of me that is gone forever’

‘What was her name?’

‘Claire’

‘You love her Heath, crying is not a negative thing’

‘That’s not why I cried, I never got the chance to say goodbye, never’

‘Didn’t you go to the funeral?’

‘Never found her body, she went in but she never came out, I never got the chance to apologise’

‘She loved you’

‘I was horrible to her’ Heath responded lifelessly, he couldn’t get past the fact that the last time they spoke to each other was through anger and annoyance

‘So? You were her brother, it comes with the terrority’

‘So what I’m overreacting?’

‘I never said that, I just think that you need to accept that she’s gone’

‘Brax said that’

‘He’s right, you can’t lose her, she’s a part of you’

‘I know’

‘How long ago did this happen?’ she asked

’10 years today’

Bianca closed her eyes trying to take it in, Heath would have been 18, life was cruel, to take his twin, his life away from him.

It explained a lot, it proved that Heath believed he didn’t have the capacity to love anyone not when his sister had been ripped away from him. Life works in weird ways but it never fails to surprise her, nothing was ever that simple.

‘What were you going to tell me?’ Heath asked as he cradled her by wrapping his arms around her waist.

‘You sure you want to know?’

‘Yes’

A few long moments passed between them before Heath prompted her. ‘Bianca? What is it?’

‘Don’t flip out at me’

‘What is it?’

‘I’m pregnant

Are you this is what you both want?’ Ryan asked yet again as he sat in the lounge telling Ruby, John and Lucy that they could all join him in witness protection if that is what they wanted to do.

‘Yes, you are family and I wouldn’t split the girls up, not now when they have bonded so well’

‘Ruby?’

‘I am not going anywhere without you, for better or worse’

Ryan nodded and looked at them both. ‘I am going to testify, the police have already taken my confession and in a couple of hours, we will no longer exist as we are now’

Ruby sat down and sighed ‘We can handle it, its not the end of the world’

‘I know but we are going to be looking over our shoulders, do you really want that for the kids?’

‘What are you trying to say? Do you not want me to come?’

Ryan sighed ‘I don’t know, I just don’t want you to end up resenting me’

Ruby looked at him as if he had read her mind and he sighed ‘You don’t want to do witness protection do you?’

‘When John first said it was an option, I was all for it’ Ruby sighed ‘but now I just don’t know what I want’

‘So if I testify, I lose you and if I don’t, Grant is still out there’

‘Ryan, you have to testify and go into witness protection, I know that, and I hate it but I accept it’ Ruby reasoned with him, she didn’t want to fight him on this, not when he was already teetering on not doing it.

‘You don’t want to do this do you?’

Ruby looked at him as if he had read her mind. John and Lucy left the room while Ryan realised that he couldn't ask Ruby to come with him, it just was not fair. Her whole life was in Summer Bay, it was going to break his heart to leave the kids but he had to put them first and in his mind there was no doubt that this was the right decision.

‘No, I don’t, I don’t want to give up everything. I love you, our kids will love you but

I am not sure I can do this.’

‘Fine, I am not going to force you but this means that’s it, we cant see each other again’

‘I know’ she said bordering on tears but held them back.

‘I better go, can I say goodbye to Elsie first?’

‘Of course’

Ruby sat on the sofa as Ryan and Elsie spent a few last moments together before Lucy took Elsie to her room in order to give Ruby and Ryan a bit of space.

‘So this is it’

‘Yep’

‘I need to know, what happened that day with Lucy’

‘What do you mean?’

‘Like why hide her death, what was so bad?’

‘Lucy had a secret that no one could know’

‘What?’ she asked not wanting to let it go’

‘You really want to know?’’

‘Yes’

Just to clarify, this chapter and the next pne will be set in the past before coming back to the present.. and there are not many chapters left.. enjoy :) xx

Chapter Thirty-Four

20 years ago:

John could hear the unmistakable signs that his father was back probably from the pub, he shook his head in disgust and turned over in his bed.

There was no point in him trying to go down and talk to him because it would just earn him a beating, a beating that had been repeated countless times and not one he wanted to repeat.

The amount of times, he had to take the physical pain, it made no difference to him, he emotional pain was the one he hated, the effects of the beatings, the words that cut at him worse than the way the belt lashed into his skin, ripping the skin causing him to bleed.

Yet the minute the blood came out, he couldn’t feel pain, it was relief, complete and utter relief that all the suppressed feelings that he had buried deep inside.

It was part of him that he was good at hiding.

‘You stupid bastard!’

John shot up and got his jeans on, he knew that Ryan had tried to calm his father down and cursed inwardly, he would do anything to prevent the pain from being inflicted on Ryan.

Ryan might claim to be able to protect himself and John knew one way or another that he could but at the same time, he wanted to take the pain and experience it himself so that he didn’t have to.

He charged down the stairs just in time to see Ryan cowering as his father, his pathetic excuse for a father, had a belt in his hands.

‘Ryan, go to your room’ John commanded in only a way he could. His fathers’ eyes bore into his as they blackened from grey to an unmistakable black.

There was no doubt in John’s mind that he was about to get a beating but at least he had spared Ryan the pain.

Ryan was going to protest but then thought against it. ‘Are you going to be okay?’ he whispered

‘Don’t worry about me, just go’

Ryan paused before John added ‘Go to my room, I will see you there, now go’

John watched as Ryan went up to the stairs turning at the top but then walked across the landing and disappeared out of sight.

‘You will never touch him again’ John told him with deadly venom in his tone, he was tired of having to pick up the pieces, there would be no more pain and tears from either of them, this had to end, it had to end.

There would be no more pain or suffering at the hands of this man.

Ever.

Scoffing at the tone in John’s voice, he asked harshly ‘How do you think you’re going to stop me?’

‘Just you watch, I promise you, you will not touch him’

John watched as he took in the words he had thrown at him, he could see that he was taking it seriously but it was not as simple as that, John had to ensure that he could never physically harm either of them ever again.

‘You might have got away with it this time but I promise you next time, it will not be like that, I promise, you will live to regret this’

‘I know’ he said to himself as he walked up to his room where Ryan was waiting. ‘I know’

‘What did he do?’ Ryan asked as he was sat on the bed. John told him to get under the covers and they sat up next to each other.

‘Nothing, he won’t do anything to me’

‘Why?’

‘Because I will hurt him back, I am not the 14 year old kid I was, I turn 18 soon and then I am out of here’

Ryan didn’t say anything because he really didn’t know what to say. He knew that John would be out of here and that he would be the new scapegoat for his father’s anger and bitterness that had led him to drinking all the time.

‘What is it?’

‘Nothing’

‘Ryan, what is it’

‘Just thinking.’

‘About?’

Ryan lay down staring up at the ceiling; he didn’t know what to say, what was he supposed to say.

‘I am not going to let it go, so you might as well just tell me’

‘Just that I am going to end up being a scapegoat for Dad when you finally escape.’

‘Why do you say that?’

‘I am going to be stuck here’

John looked at him and sighed ‘You really think I am going to leave you here to face that?’

‘Aren’t you?’

‘No!’ he vehemently denied slightly annoyed that Ryan would assume that but at the same time understanding where he was coming from.

‘Sorry, it’s just you can afford to leave and if you didn’t want me tagging along, I have no other option but to stay here’

‘I am not going anywhere without you, so don’t assume that I would’ John said ‘Now sleep, we both need it’

Ryan nodded and closed his eyes allowing his body to succumb to sleep. John however couldn’t sleep; he just lay there staring at the wall, wondering how the hell his life had got to this point, his mother had swanned off because she couldn’t ‘cope’ and Ryan had no one else but him.

John didn’t mind being the father figure but he couldn’t live his life with his father, he had to get out but Ryan was the problem, he didn’t think he would leave yet; he had too much to stick around for. He would have to break his promise and leave before Ryan realised he had gone.

He looked over at Ryan who was fast asleep, and decided he had to go. There was nothing left for him anymore, it was goodbye.

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter Thirty-Five

Strangely enough, the next time Ryan saw John was when he was sat on the hospital chair talking to the nurse, it broke his heart to know that John assumed that Lucy was dead but he had no choice but to make that happen, Lucy’s real identity could not be compromised to John ever.

‘He can’t ever know’

‘I know’ Ryan said as Lucy was being prepped for her Caesarean, they had staged her death to appease Grant. Grant was angry that she had ‘died’ but the alternative was not acceptable to either of them. Lucy had tried too hard to move away from Grant but fate kept pushing her back into his life. How strange was it that she was married to John who is Ryan’s brother and Grant’s right hand man?

It couldn’t work and she knew that if he ever found that she was a mother that her child would be destined for that life, there was no way she was going to do that. Her baby deserved a better life, a choice.

‘I can’t believe we are doing this’

‘We don’t have to, you can still be with John’

‘At my baby’s expense?’

‘Not necessarily’

‘How then?’

‘I am sort of seeing his daughter, long story’ he said as he caught sight of her expression ‘I don’t want to give her up, but if it diverts attention away from you, then I will’

‘No’ she flat out refused

‘Why not?’

‘I am constantly going to be looking over my shoulders, it’s easier for him to think I am dead’

‘You’re going to miss out on your baby’s life’ he pointed out

‘I know, but they will have a better chance if I’m not here, because Grant wont suspect’

Ryan wanted to argue the point that she was throwing her life away because of him, he had wanted her to fight for her freedom but he conceded that with a child to focus on, it might not necessarily be possible.

He promised himself, he’d keep her safe which was the only way he’d agree to her staging her death, bribing the doctors and nurses had been easy enough, money talks. Morally he didn’t want to lie to his brother but at the same time, he knew it was the only option.

Goodness knows he had tried to think up another way so that neither of them lost out and if Grant was no longer in the picture then there wouldn’t be a problem but because Grant was, then there was an issue. An issue he felt obligated to solve.

‘Promise me one thing’

‘What?’

‘Don’t give up, you deserve a better life than the one you have, John loves you, in time he will be there for you’

‘Forget that, where are you going to go?’

‘I don’t know, I need to be faraway. To avoid temptation’

‘New identity?’

‘Yes’

‘Do you want me to-?’ he asked

‘If you don’t mind’

Their conversation was interrupted as Lucy was to be prepped. ‘I better go’

‘I will keep in contact with you’ Ryan promised, he had to, just for his own peace of mind. He felt obligated to do that for her

‘Fine, but one rule’ she carried on before Ryan had the chance to respond. ‘I don’t want to know about John and the baby, it will be easier if I cut myself off from that possibility, I have to’

‘If it is what you want’ Ryan didn’t agree with her but at the same time he accepted that it was what she wanted, and that he had to respect her choice, though he knew one day she would ask, her natural curiosity will win out and then he wouldn’t feel so guilty about being so tight lipped even when it was what she wanted.

‘It is’ she confirmed.

Chapter Thirty Six

For the seventh time that day, Ryan was nowhere to be found, Grant did not know why Ryan kept disappearing but he needed to call a meeting and he was going to make it clear that if Ryan was not there, there would hell to pay. He had news that he had been searching for a long time and he was not prepared to let it disappear. He had to take action and it had to be now.

Sometimes Grant wondered why he even bothered, she disappeared because she wanted to.

He had always tried to do his best by her but if she was determined to leave, there was not much he could do to persuade her unless he forced her.

He wasn’t against forcing her but he would rather she willingly chose to be a part of his life.

‘Call a meeting and make sure Ryan is there’

‘Yes sir’ his PA said not wanting to antagonise him in fear of losing her job, she needed the job. How else was she supposed to support her own son,

A while later…

Ryan walked into Grant’s office and was faced with a group of men sat around the table.

‘Ah about time you got here. Where were you?’

‘I had stuff to deal with’

Grant was not going to let it lie. He was shrewd enough to know that something was going on, and he didn’t like Ryan’s absence.

‘What?’

‘The Whistler case’

The response was good enough for Grant who nodded and said ‘Join us’

Ryan sat down and asked ‘What is going on?’

‘There has been a potential sighting ’

‘Of who?’ he asked.

He hid his shock when he got his answer and asked ‘I thought she was off the radar, where did you see her?’

‘Gentlemen, will you leave us alone please’

The men stood up and left the room, leaving Ryan and Grant sat opposite to each other. The atmosphere was very tense as neither of them spoke for a long few moments.

‘Lucy has been pretending to be dead for over 8 years’

Grant saw shock appear on Ryan’s face and instantly believed that he had no idea that Lucy had faked her own death.

‘Do you know where she is?’ he asked him a few moments later. Grant decided to lie at this point in order to test Ryan. If he passed the test then he knew that he had nothing to worry about but if he didn’t, well then he would have to take immediate action.

‘Not a fixed location no, but roughly yes, it looks like she has only been in town for a few months so I need to move fast’

Grant looked around the garden, it was pitch black but he knew something was going on. The investigator made it clear that Ryan kept making return visit to this house, never anywhere else. He didn’t stay the night but he stayed a while each time.

He walked up to the door, he had his guards on standby in case something was going on but Grant had the feeling it was more about someone rather than something.

‘Boss?’

‘Yes’

‘You told me to let you know when Ryan comes’

‘And?’ he barked impatiently

‘On his way to the street now sir’

‘Stay out of his view. Keep your eyes on him but do not let him see you.’

‘Understood’

Grant wanted to know what Ryan’s game was; he had just walked straight back into his life after disappearing. He didn’t trust him but he was going by his motto.

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer

He got back into his black car with tinted windows and allowed himself to relax slightly. He wanted to know why Ryan had come back, it stunk of a conspiracy and Grant was not about to let that happen, not now the police were sniffing around.

That was not news to Grant, the police were always sniffing around them but he got an uneasy feeling from Ryan and he had learned to trust his instincts. His phone rang.

‘Yes?’

‘A young female answered the door’

‘Picture?’

‘Sent to your phone’

‘Stay close and let me know when he leaves’

Grant opened the image up and for a few seconds, he could barely breathe, he wasn’t sure if he was seeing things or not but he knew now that Ryan had a very specific agenda and that it was his job to find out exactly what it was.

‘Everything has changed hasn’t it?’ Bianca asked as Heath climbed into bed next to her. She had her hand on her stomach in a protective mode.

‘How do you mean?’ he asked as he balanced himself on his elbows and looked straight into her eyes.

‘Now we have two kids and one on the way. This place is not big enough’

‘So what are you saying?’

‘You remember telling me about the house?’

‘Just before I proposed you mean?’ he asked as Bianca looked down at her hand where the ring lay once again, twirling it around with her fingers before returning her gaze onto Heath.

‘Yes. That place’

‘What about it?’

‘You still have it right or did you sell it?’

‘I am supposed to be renting it, but never got around to it’

Bianca grinned like a Cheshire cat and Heath pulled her into his arms and she laid her head on his chest.

‘Then we should live in it, the kids can enjoy the garden and we can be together properly with no baggage’

‘Then let’s do it’ Heath said smiling as she snuggled up to him and they closed their eyes slowly succumbing to sleep.

They both woke up with a start as they heard a bang. Bianca jumped and Heath got up.

‘It came from downstairs’

The door flung open and Max and Lola scrambled on to the bed clutching at their parents.

‘Stay with them, I am going to go and see what is going on’

‘Just call the police, but don’t go down’

‘Phone them, I will be fine’

Bianca was shaking but she had her arms around the kids who were clearly still scared and frightened.

Heath walked down the stairs and looked around, the main door had been swung open but he had no idea who was around so he slowly creeped down the stairs to find a woman lying on the floor looking completely out of it and he could smell the drink.

He shook his head in disgust and dialled a number. The women’s refuge could sort it out, he was sick of picking up the pieces after her.

‘Who is she?’ Bianca asked as she came down the stairs.

‘My ex’

‘What is she doing here?’

‘I honestly have no idea; I didn’t even know she knew where I lived.’

‘Get rid of her’ Bianca instantly replied, she didn’t want her in the house.

‘On it’

Bianca trudged back up the stairs, Max and Lola were wide awake but looking fearful and scared. She got under the covers and drew the children up towards her so that the three of them took up the bed. She knew it was petty but she didn’t want Heath anywhere near her as he realised when he walked into the room about an hour later to find the three of them fast asleep. He opted to sleep in the spare room instead of taking the kids back to their beds.

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter Thirty Seven

Grant had to initiate his plan before Ryan got the chance to get involved. If Ryan had any inkling that he was planning on turning his world upside down then his chance for his family back and revenge would be impossible.

‘It’s done’ the voice said as he picked up his phone.

‘All of them?’

‘His brother got away but the rest of them yes’

Grant smiled and dismissed him by hanging up the phone; things were finally working out the way he wanted it to. Ryan was going to rue the day he decided to double cross him. No one did that and got away with it. No one.

He watched as Ryan charmed the ladies in the office as he usually did and while normally he’d tell him to wind his neck in, he thought against it. It was better if he was here for as long as possible. He wanted to see his face when he found out that his family had been destroyed.

‘Ryan’ Grant called out about an hour later wanting to know what he was doing for the rest of the day.

‘What is it?’ he asked almost as if he didn’t care.

‘Just wondering, you have any plans for later?’

Ryan was actually planning on seeing Esme but said ‘Nope, why what do you want to do?’

‘A drink or two?’

‘Sure’ came his response

‘6, usual place,’

‘See you then

Later on that afternoon…[i/]

Ryan entered the bar and it was quiet but that didn’t come as a surprise to Ryan, it had always been quiet so he just took a seat and ordered a beer for himself. It took over two hours before he realised that Grant was not coming.

He paid his tab off and got up; as he was leaving the bar his phone rang. He pulled it out of his pocket to see Grant’s name flashing on the screen.

‘Hey’

‘Sorry meeting ran late’

‘Alright, doesn’t matter, another time maybe’

‘Come to mine, pizza and beer. What do you think?’

‘Coming’

Grant got a taxi and made his way down the driveway, he noticed there were fewer guards around but he was still a bit too tipsy to really notice.

‘About time, there is someone waiting for you in the lounge’

‘Who?’ he asked genuinely confused, if anyone wanted him, then they always contacted him directly on his mobile

‘Go and see’

Ryan walked in to see Ruby tied up, with red streaks down her face to indicate that she had been crying.

‘What the hell?’

‘Did you really think you could hide the fact that I have a granddaughter?’

Ryan moved towards Ruby and held onto her hand but adopting a pose which meant he was ready to defend himself if he needed to.

‘You never cared about Ruby so why the hell would I let you near either of them?’

‘You had no right to take that option away from me’

Ruby was shaking and Ryan knew that she needed to be untied but Grant was clearly angry and pacing around.

He didn’t want to risk anyone getting hurt so he held onto her hand and gave her a reassuring look.

‘What do you want?’

‘I want my family’ Grant spat at him ‘But without you in the picture’

Ryan scoffed ‘You seriously think I’m going to let you have my family, the family that I have looked after and the family that I love? You’re deluded’

‘Dad’ Ruby spoke causing Grant to double back and look at her trying to clarify whether she actually spoke or not.

‘What?’

‘You say you want to be a part of my family?’

‘I do’

‘Then why am I tied up? Why can’t I see Esme? If you claim to love us both, then why are we separated?’

Grant inhaled and then exhaled before responding. ‘I tied you up because I can’t be certain you will stay and Esme is safe, I would never hurt her’

‘I want to believe that but if you can tie me up then how do I know she isn’t hurt? She might need me and I’m not there for her’

Tears began to flow as Ruby contemplated never seeing Esme again and Grant relented.

‘Untie her’ he directed it to Ryan who untied her and then looked at her to make sure she was okay.

‘You okay?’

She nodded but looked down and then looked up at him to indicate that Grant has no idea about her pregnancy.

He pulled her into his arms and she curled into his warmth, eternally grateful that he was there for her. His presence reassured her.

She knew she was safe with him; he had that knack of making her feel special and not alone.

‘You can see Esme for five minutes but that is it.’

Ruby nodded, she wanted to argue with him but Ryan’s look and stiffening posture indicated it was not going to work and so she should quit while she was ahead.

‘You better say bye to Ryan because we need to talk’

Ruby stood up and protested pushing herself further into his embrace, Ryan didn’t want to leave but he knew it was futile trying to stay, they had to do this.

‘Rubes’ he whispered forcing her to look at him and his eyes softened ‘I have to do this, tell Esme I love her, I will see you soon’

He leant down and kissed her before one of Grant’s henchmen pulled him away and led him out of the room.

‘Dad?’

‘Yes?’

‘Please don’t hurt him. Don’t let everything people say about you be true, please’

Grant didn’t say anything as he left the room but Ruby didn’t have the chance to say anything else because Elsie ran into the room and wrapped herself around Ruby’s leg.

‘Hey baby! Miss me?’

She nodded as tears pooled in her eyes but Ruby wiped them away. ‘Daddy says hello, he will be back soon’ hoping that she hadn’t just lied to her own daughter.

‘Are you and Daddy going to live together again?’

‘I don’t know baby’

Esme’s words did get to Ruby; she wanted to provide her and the unborn baby with a stable life. Despite it all, Ryan was the one she wanted to share it all with and she was determined to do that. Really determined.

When he woke up the next morning, he found the kids amusing themselves and Bianca in the kitchen nursing a cup of herbal tea.

‘Okay?’

‘Fine’

‘You’re angry’ he pointed out and got a glare in return for it. The first thought that popped into Heath’s head was that she was clearly hormonal.

‘You think? What do you expect?! I’m 5 months pregnant, and your ex just happens to turn up on the doorstep. You failed to tell me that she was your ex-wife!’

He winced as he took in her expression, the anger emanating from her. He didn’t know what to say to her, there wasn’t much he was able to say to her.

‘I should have said. I know that but at the same time. I was just dealing with so much so I didn’t really think’

‘You didn’t think?’

‘I get you are angry but this is not good for you or the baby’ he mentioned in an attempt to calm her down.

‘Be honest with me for once, do you actually want to marry me?’

‘Yes!’ his adamant response had her anger slowly evaporating. That was her main fear that he didn’t want to marry her and was only with her for the children.

‘Where is she?’

‘A woman from the refuge took her, I have no idea where she is and I don’t care’

‘How long were you both married?’

‘About 3 years’

‘Why did you split?’

‘She’s a drunk, she just kept on drinking and she wouldn’t stop. I kept having to take her to the hospital to get her stomach pumped’ his voice was lifeless as if it was just a story to him and not his actual life.

‘Didn’t she try and get help?’

‘She claimed to but she never did’

‘Are you sure about that?’

He nodded as he heard the kids scream.

Chapter Thirty Eight

Heath and Bianca froze as the kids both ran into the kitchen. A few gruelling moments later, Heath’s ex walked into the room with a gun in her hand. Heath instinctively pushed the kids behind him and was prepared to calm her down.

‘So Heath we meet again’

‘What are you doing here?’ he asked in a neutral tone of voice very aware that her finger was too close to the trigger.

‘For you’

‘We’re divorced remember’

‘I know but that was because I was drinking all the time but I promise to stop, I just want you back’

‘No, we can’t’

‘Why? Because of her?’ throwing Bianca a look full of anger which made Bianca pull the children back in a protective measure ready to defend her kids should she need to.

‘Yes’

Heath’s honesty disarmed them both for a split second and Bianca recovered moving next to Heath who shot her a sideways glance trying to work out what her deal was.

‘Look.. I’m Bianca, you are?’

‘Sian’

‘You love Heath right?’

Sian looks lovingly at Heath and nods ‘Completely’

‘Then you need to get help. Being a drunk is not going to get you anywhere’

‘What would you know?’ Sian sneered refusing to believe Bianca’s words.

‘My father was a drunk, would drink all the time to ‘take’ the pain away. I don’t doubt he loved me but I don’t think he ever actually understood me’

‘My mum used to drink; I had to fend for myself.’

‘Not easy, when you’re a kid, you just want to be a kid; it forces you to grow up too quickly’

Sian nodded, she knew that she was a drunk but deep down inside, she did not want to change. Drinking was the only thing that actually made sense, the only thing she actually had control over and she didn’t feel like she could let go neither did she actually want to let go of it.

‘I can’t live without him’ she said and Bianca automatically sympathised. She knew how hard it was to have to let go and she was not going to let her take him away from her but she had to tread carefully.

‘If you want Heath, you know what you have to do?’

Sian’s eyes widened and she looked confused as well dazed as Bianca carried on talking.

‘You have to sort yourself out. Men are a weird species but you are your own person, build your own confidence again.’

‘Stop drinking you mean’ she started to shake which made Heath feel more nervous especially since her finger was on the trigger

‘It’s up to you, you watched your mum drink and it destroyed her didn’t it?’

Sian nodded and Bianca continued ‘You do not want to end up like that’

‘So if I stop smoking, can we be together?’

Bianca stopped talking at that point and looked at Heath; he didn’t know how to let Sian down gently and knew that unless he trod carefully, this showdown was going to end up in tears.

‘It’s not that simple’

‘Why not?’ her voice was very low and yet it held an undercurrent of strength, it became obvious to Bianca, and that she was having a mental breakdown. She was putting on a show because she did not know what else she could do.

‘Look I love you, that has never changed’ Heath said as he looked Sian directly in the eyes softening his gaze so that she was his focus.

‘But?’

‘I am not in love with you anymore, so much has happened, I can’t be in love with you, I have moved on’

‘What am I supposed to do?’ she asked feeling teary and scared along with the fear of loneliness. Loneliness that made her experience feelings on a daily basis that showed her insecurities primarily that she did not belong.

‘Get better, holding on to me isn’t helping, you can’t like the way you are behaving can you?’

She shook her head and loosened her grip on her gun. Bianca looked at the kids who were still white with fear. Max was holding onto Lola trying to be brave but she could see how scared he was.

‘Heath’ she whispers ‘The kids’

Sian was beginning to shake uncontrollably and as a result tightened her grip on the gun, the next few moments for Heath were in slow motion as her finger hit the trigger and he heard the resounding gunshot.

Blood. Blood everywhere, I cannot tell whose blood it is, there is just blood everywhere. I cannot feel anything, there’s just too much going on, screaming and crying. Emotions and hormones, why can’t I make sense of what is going on? Why does it all hurt too much? Have I done something wrong? The pain, it hurts, I can’t tell where I am, the kids? What happened?

I can feel myself fading, the darkness descends, there is a light, a bright but small light which comes closer, I am floating. Floating. The pull of the light is too much to bear. Do I want to bear it? Can I not just float closer?

‘Bianca? Please baby, don’t leave be strong’

I try to move my hands but I cant. My whole body feels cold, and I cant move, my baby? Is my baby okay?

I try to cry out but nothing, just plain darkness, I cannot feel anything, and I am just numb.

“…Is she okay?’ I hear April worrying about me ‘Stupid girl, jumping in front of you’

‘I know, when I get my hands on her’

Heath sounds worried, I don’t want him to be worried, I want him to hold me.

‘The doctors say its normal but she needs to wake up..’

‘She will wake up..’

I feel myself drifting, I am moving, the lights whizz by, my eyes flicker but I can’t concentrate, I fight the urge to close my eyes but I am beaten, darkness descends yet again.

….

Too much time has passed, I have no idea if my baby is okay or not, I need my baby to be okay, Max and Lola. Oh why can’t I just wake up?

I try to move my hand and I do, I feel someone’s breath against my skin, and I move my head and open my eyes. Heath is lying there asleep on the chair resting his head on the bed.

‘Heath?’

‘Oh Bianca, oh thank god!’

‘The baby?’ I murmur but as soon as Heath’s face falls, I realise the truth, the painful yet numbing truth. I lost my baby.

‘Shh..’ I hear him stroking my hair and kisses my forehead ‘Rest, it will be okay’

Warning: Swearing..

Chapter Thirty-Nine

Ryan was bored, since Grant left him in a room a few hours ago, he couldn’t be bothered. He wanted him to do whatever he had to do so this would be over. He knew on some level that Grant would not hurt his family but he was unstable.

‘So we need to figure out what I am going to do with you’

‘What do you want me to say?’

‘You took my family from me!’ Grant spat out in fury, the past few years trying to track them down had taken its toll. Ryan had no right to disappear; he had given him the life that gave him his fortune.

‘I fell in love, its that simple, but you do not know what love is or what it means. You are cold and heartless! You tried to pimp out your own daughter!’

‘Doesn’t make you any better, you slept with her!’

‘Yes but not when you sent her to my room. I left her; I was never going to sleep with her.’

‘So why did you?’

Grant was looking at Ryan expectantly demanding and needing an answer, it was too much for him to take in.

‘She asked me out, out of the blue, just about the time Lucy disappeared.’

‘Right and?’ he ignored the mention of Lucy, that was something he did not want to think about until he had to.

‘I refused but then we met up one night, she was tipsy, and well you can guess what happened next’

‘So you took advantage?’ he sneered ‘That doesn’t make you a hero’

‘I never said I was a bloody hero!’

Anger and resentment was beginning to bubble and it was getting to a point where fists and violence were eminent.

‘So why does she think you are?’

‘Oh come on, what planet are you living on? I was always there for her, apart from Ross, which male figure did she have in her life as she grew up? You wrote yourself off the minute you forced yourself onto her mother!’

‘The bitch had it coming, she wanted it!’ Grant snarled in anger

‘Do you seriously still believe that? Why else is Ruby so damn scared of you?’

‘Because you turned her against me!’

‘You’re deluded. Completely and utterly deluded!’

Ryan could see Ruby in the reflection of the window with a gun in her hand. He was tempted to move so that Grant was in her eyeshot but it would haunt Ruby forever if that happened.

‘You want to know where Lucy is?’

Grant then froze and looked Ryan straight in the eyes. His eyes had descended from its usual blue colour to a dark and unmistakable black colour. Ryan could tell he had to tread carefully. His main priority was to protect his family, not anyone else. His family were first. They were always first.

‘Where?’

‘One question why did you cut her off?’

‘That’s none of your business’

Ryan raised his eyebrows in surprise. Grant had always been so protective of her. She was his life and then one day; she was cut off, left with nothing left.’

‘Why?’

‘It has **** all to do with you, so lay off!’

‘She was your sister and you cut her off? What the hell is up with that?’

‘Why wasn’t she enough for you?’ Grant asked

‘I never loved her, she was your sister and I respected her, and to be fair I did love her in a sisterly way, I still do.’

‘You care about her?’ Grant finally understood why Ryan defended her.

‘Yes’

‘Why?’

‘She’s human, yeah she isn’t perfect, **** knows who is perfect these days, it doesn’t exist’

‘She’s a stupid cow’

Ryan tensed and looked up slightly to see the reflection but Ruby was no longer there. His radar was piqued but he could not stop talking now, he had to disarm Grant so that he could finally take him down.

‘Because?’

‘She got herself raped’

Ryan couldn’t respond, he had never expected that, out of everything that Grant could have said, that was not on top of the list.

‘So?’

‘She was not worthy of being in my family. She never did what she was told’

‘Newsflash. She is a woman; they never do what they are told. They change their mind every chance they get. Sometimes just for the sake of it’

‘And?’

‘You raped someone, so why is it she gets cut off because some sad creep decided to brutalise and traumatise her?’

Grant could not answer and Ryan carried on ‘You see this is what I think. She reminds you too much of the mistake you made. You hate yourself for raping Charlie and you didn’t want to support Lucy because it reminded you of your own mistakes’

‘Well done, you should be a shrink’ he sneered.

‘Look, do what you have to do. This is getting boring now’

‘I am not going to let you anywhere near my family.’

‘Daddy!’ Ryan heard as he swung around and swept Elsie into his arms. She had tears streaming down her eyes. He held her close and looked at Grant who was confused, he had his phone and the next thing Ryan realised was that Ruby had entered the room. The gun was pointed at Grant’s head. The steely determined look on Ruby’s face was enough for Grant to drop the phone and look at her.

Tjhere is one possibly two chapters to go :) Hope you enjoy this one :D

Chapter Forty

Everything seemed in free fall, nothing was as it should be Grant noted, Ruby should be happy to be back in his life, Ryan should be 6 foot under and Elsie should be a happy kid running around his big garden living life to the full.

‘Ruby’

‘Dad’

‘Put the gun down’

‘No’

‘Put it down.’

Ryan rocked Elsie but he did not dare move towards Ruby, she was too tense and strung up. The gun could go off at any second; he still wondered how she got it.

‘No, you need to leave me and my family alone’

‘You are family’

‘No. you lost that right, the moment you raped my mum!’

‘Ruby’ Ryan stopped her ‘Don’t, you will regret it, don’t let Elsie grow up without a mum.’

‘He has to pay’

‘He will. He already is, every day’

‘What do you mean?’

‘He’s dying’ Ryan said.

Grant was dumbfounded; he had never told anyone that. ‘How the hell do you know that?’

‘I just do, you have to let her go, and she will never be your daughter’

Ruby moved the gun up and looked over at Ryan. She did not know what to do next. Should she press it or was it just not worth the aggro?

‘Babe, don’t, you will regret it, do not stoop to his level. Please’ Ryan implored trying to reach out to her. He shifted Elsie so he could put his hand out for her.

‘Take my hand, don’t make this a mistake, it’s easier to hurt him but braver to let him rot’

The unmistakable sirens of a police car filtered into the room. ‘Drop it, Ruby’

Ruby looked terrified as fear caused her to shake and she dropped the gun, she kicked it away towards Grant, as soon as Grant picked the gun up to point it, the police bounded into the room cornering Grant.

‘Ruby, look at me, it’s okay. Breathe’ he pulled her into his arms and held them both in his arms, knowing that this was over, Grant was going to pay for his mistakes.

‘I am taking you with me’ Grant snarled

‘No’ Ruby said surprising Grant. ’You won’t. I have proof of your crimes; definitive proof the police will be interested. Leave my family alone or I promise you I will ruin you!’

‘You?’ he scoffed ‘You cannot do that, you don’t have the power’

‘Want to bet? You made me, I might not have grown up in this world’ she gestured to the room ‘But I have had to grow up a lot quicker than most kids do, you do not go through everything I did and end perfect at the end of it, it just doesn’t happen’

‘You can’t ruin me’

‘Four words’ she said as the police officers looked bemused at the conversation but were in no rush to move him out of the room. Ryan looked on in awe; this was the Ruby that he fell in love with.

‘What?’

‘New York. 19th September.’

Grant’s face fell and Ruby knew she had him. ‘Leave my family alone, I promise you next time, I will shoot’

She looked at the police officer and nodded before watching them leave with Grant. She picked Elsie up who had finally calmed down.

‘Okay baby?’

Elsie nodded and smile goofily, making them both melt. She was a light for them both.

‘We will get through this you know’ Ruby told Ryan as they sat on the sofa cuddling up to each other with Elsie fast asleep on his lap.

‘I know, we will. You scared me with that gun’

‘Remember that in future’ she smirked making Ryan chuckle before leaning into kiss her.

‘Whoa’ Ruby said.

‘What?’

‘The baby’s kicking’

Ryan smiled and placed his hand on the bump. He couldn’t speak, it was amazing. ‘Our little man’

‘A boy? Might be a girl you know’

‘Doubt it, besides I need another boy to keep you in line’

Ruby giggled and Ryan realised he had not asked the question that was bothering him earlier.

‘What happened in New York? 19th September’

‘Ah.. doesn’t matter’

‘Ruby!’ he warned

‘Fine, he.. er.. paid for something that wouldn’t have looked good’

‘What?’

‘Do I really have to spell it out?’

‘Oh!’

‘There was a video.. let’s just say he wouldn’t want that getting out’

‘Devious woman’

‘Remember that!’

‘Oh I will. I will. This is it you know’

‘What?’ putting Ryan’s hand back on the bump to feel the baby kicking