Do you like Harvey?

Guest cadyctslover

Harvey Ryan  

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ I think it is more revealing that you guys are asking for a further 'middle ground' option, says it all really.

Apparently they knew all along that he was going to be a main character which makes his introduction especially baffling.

Really? What an unusual way to approach his initial characterisation then :blink: .

It seems that the (on) crack writing staff think that "Jerk character" + "Sob story background" + "relationship with main character" = likeable character. It doesn't because "Jerk character" is the most important part of the equation.

:lol: Yes this is one of the least successful implementations of this method in my opinion. Harvey's equation is missing the "displays underlying likeable characteristics and qualities", it's just not there.

• 3 weeks later...

^ I think it is more revealing that you guys are asking for a further 'middle ground' option, says it all really.

Apparently they knew all along that he was going to be a main character which makes his introduction especially baffling.

Really? What an unusual way to approach his initial characterisation then :blink: .

It seems that the (on) crack writing staff think that "Jerk character" + "Sob story background" + "relationship with main character" = likeable character. It doesn't because "Jerk character" is the most important part of the equation.

:lol: Yes this is one of the least successful implementations of this method in my opinion. Harvey's equation is missing the "displays underlying likeable characteristics and qualities", it's just not there.

WRONG WRONG WRONG

Marcus Graham was invited for a 6 week guest role and then asked for an extension on his contract. So your argument is INVALID.

Don't get me wrong I hate Harvey but you need to stop have attacks at the writing staff.

WRONG WRONG WRONG

Marcus Graham was invited for a 6 week guest role and then asked for an extension on his contract. So your argument is INVALID.

Don't get me wrong I hate Harvey but you need to stop have attacks at the writing staff.

The writing staff gets to little critisism.... It has nothing to do with the caracter itself, because who decide how the character is going, their storylines and their personalities? It is the writers. So if a charachter is boring, or have a little interesting personality it is very oftenthe writers fault because they are, together with the actor, - creating the character. Marcus Graham is a good actor, so is Georgie Parker. If they both were written a bit differently they would have been interesting. Its not about writing out boring characters, it's about making the character good and with a good storyline arc.

I think that Roo was good in the beginning of her return, back in the late 2010, early 2011 season. We are in early/mid 2011 season here and she is still a bit good but I can see she is dropping in quality. And I have seen a few eps from the 2012 season in the UK pace (in September), and I think it is wrong to write these two as comical characters with their bickering, they should have been explored more as character. Did this started when Colleen left, is Roo/Harvey replacing Colleen as the "comic" side to the show? From the little I've seen, and from what I've reading it is not working.

WRONG WRONG WRONG

Oh, you again :rolleyes: . Well you sure showed me.

Let's carefully place all the toys back in your pram and explain the mistaken conclusion you've reached this time.

In what way is my argument invalid? It was my understanding that Marcus Graham had a 6 month contract originally, which was then extended. In fact one of my earlier posts in this exact thread states that. ebrett84 suggested that Harvey was going to be a regular cast member from the start, to my surprise. I didn't make that suggestion, I stated that if true it made his initial characterisation very unusual.

As jodlebirger points out, if large groups of viewers (including yourself!) dislike a character - especially if they're played by an experienced and renowned actor such as Marcus Graham - then something is going very wrong in the writers room.

As with your last few posts, this leads me to believe you scan this forum looking for arguments rather than adding to the discussion.

I think that Roo was good in the beginning of her return, back in the late 2010, early 2011 season. We are in early/mid 2011 season here and she is still a bit good but I can see she is dropping in quality. And I have seen a few eps from the 2012 season in the UK pace (in September), and I think it is wrong to write these two as comical characters with their bickering, they should have been explored more as character. Did this started when Colleen left, is Roo/Harvey replacing Colleen as the "comic" side to the show? From the little I've seen, and from what I've reading it is not working.

I don't think it had anything to do with Colleen leaving, I think it started before that.It seemed like after they had their brief relationship at the end of 2011, when apparently he was just using her to get to the Blaxland, they went through a period of not liking each other.Then somewhere along the way, early this year around the time Harvey became permanent, this somehow got shifted to them being some sort of comical love-hate relationship couple with characters who'd previously been dead against them together suddenly deciding they were made for each other.

WRONG WRONG WRONG

Oh, you again :rolleyes: . Well you sure showed me.

Let's carefully place all the toys back in your pram and explain the mistaken conclusion you've reached this time.

In what way is my argument invalid? It was my understanding that Marcus Graham had a 6 month contract originally, which was then extended. In fact one of my earlier posts in this exact thread states that. ebrett84 suggested that Harvey was going to be a regular cast member from the start, to my surprise. I didn't make that suggestion, I stated that if true it made his initial characterisation very unusual.

As jodlebirger points out, if large groups of viewers (including yourself!) dislike a character - especially if they're played by an experienced and renowned actor such as Marcus Graham - then something is going very wrong in the writers room.

As with your last few posts, this leads me to believe you scan this forum looking for arguments rather than adding to the discussion.

?? Someone's a little agree I see. Well if you don't like that kinda atitude when someone posts in response to you then don't do it to others.

And oh please calling me a baby. I'm not the one constantly complaint about writers and characters and winging about the old days. Don't you dare Try and talk to me like that. I only voice my opinion and try to get people to stop complaint about stuff because its really sickening.

• 3 months later...

Archived