Is a delay acceptable in this day and age?

Guest baystar

I wonder what the reason is that the UK and other countries are still kept a few weeks behind Australia with Home & Away?

I can understand why that may have been the case 15 years ago when tapes would likely be physically posted across the globe and back then it didn't really matter how far behind the UK was because there wasn't really chance to cross-compare.

But in the digital era I don't think any sort of delay is at all acceptable and I think it would benefit the programme to have it synchronised across the globe:

Firstly, the delay fragments the fan community. I'd love to 'Like' Home & Away and have it on my Facebook page and even take part reading the spoilers and so on, but Australia is so far ahead that I can't do that. Just today I went on the page and they've revealed one of the big up-coming spoilers that's probably still 6-8 weeks away in the UK because Home & Away is off air at the moment. Channel 5 don't, to my knowledge, have an official H&A UK discussion board and if they did it would likely be very small. It'd be so much better if the global community could all discuss in the same place - plus any newcomers would see the much bigger community present and be more likely to get involved.

Secondly I think it would benefit the broadcasters. I only ever watch online and if I'm up to date with what's on Channel 5, I'll sometimes seek out the latest Aus episodes on YouTube and get ahead of Channel 5 for a few weeks. No need to do that if they were synchronised.

Do Seven impose a mandatory two week delay? Or is it just down to Channel 5 choosing not to let the episodes catch up with Australia?

If there was no break then we would never have the opportunity to see old episodes - which would be rubbish!

There would still be breaks. At the moment Australia takes a break for Xmas - while the UK takes a break for Summer. I agree with the OP - in this day and age the show should be broadcast simultaneously across the globe - if not everywhere then its two main markets should both air the same episode - Australia and the UK. What is the benefit of the UK having a delay? The only effect I can see it having is people watching online and the ratings for the main show suffering.

I think Neighbours should also broadcast simultaneously.

There are several reasons why countries are at different stages of the storyline.

As far as Europe is concerned, I believe Channel Five have the rights to show the episodes first in Europe, so other European countries, including Ireland, cannot show an episode until it has aired in the UK. I beleive Ireland are currently two days behind 5, and one day behind 5*.

Other European countries are somewhat behind, some by a few seasons. I have heard that the episodes become cheaper to purchase and broadcast over time - it would cost these channels more to purchase episodes if they were pretty much on a par with the UK/Australia.

When other European stations purchase episodes, it must be written into contracts that these must not be shown before a particular date - as Five have the exclusive rights to debut episodes in Europe, then Seven and/or the other European countries would be in breach of this contract if they overtook the UK.

I'm not sure what the situation is elsewhere around the world, eg. New Zealand and South Africa.

Thinking of the UK in particular, I assume there is no reason Five couldn't show the episodes on the same night as they play in Australia (this would be a few hours later because of the time zone difference). The closest they've been is four days behind on 5*, I think. However, from a ratings point of view it makes more sense for the UK to take a break in the Summer, rather than over Christmas - as ratings are lower then because of the weather, holidays etc. Conversely, Aussies tend not to watch so much telly in the height of their summer, which is why shows take a break in December and January.

Interestingly, Ireland were at one point one episode ahead of Australia, in 2000 - and I think they got a hefty fine for this, as it was in breach of their contract.

I think if Australia and the UK had the same seasons, they probably wouldn't break. But would you guys in the UK be happy not to have the show on for 6-8 weeks over December and January? Or do you prefer a shorter break over summer?

Well it doesn't matter to me as I watch online so the UK episodes are irrelevant. I think no matter what though the UK episodes should do whatever Aus is doing. It is 2012 and it just seems silly to leave such a long gap when the internet rules the roost these days. It's doing the show no favours really.

I think an important point that has already been discussed here is that the modern viewer in the UK will not wait until September to catch up on the latest episodes showing in Aus. If they are already watching UK-pace episodes online at Demand5 (just imagine), and C5 take a break for the summer, it is just too easy to find the new Aus-pace episodes online. By taking a break over the summer Channel 5 are losing viewers who would have watched H&A on the TV channel and on Demand5. They want to watch the latest episodes now.

The advantage for Channel 5 in taking a summer break is that viewing figures here will be lower as everyone is outside in the sun (well, maybe not this year). This is probably the same reason for the show taking a break late November-early January in Australia, when the weather is good over there.

However Channel 5 take winter breaks as well during the Christmas holidays, and I can't help thinking it would make far more sense to have both shows in sync in both countries. I don't think there should be any technical issue with this, as Australia are at least 7 hours ahead, so new episodes will always be shown there first. Although sometimes they show double episodes on a Friday in Aus to allow broadcast of football or something on the Thursday, and on these occasions the UK would be one episode ahead.

I'd love to 'Like' Home & Away and have it on my Facebook page and even take part reading the spoilers and so on, but Australia is so far ahead that I can't do that. Just today I went on the page and they've revealed one of the big up-coming spoilers that's probably still 6-8 weeks away in the UK because Home & Away is off air at the moment. Channel 5 don't, to my knowledge, have an official H&A UK discussion board and if they did it would likely be very small. It'd be so much better if the global community could all discuss in the same place - plus any newcomers would see the much bigger community present and be more likely to get involved.

This is a big problem for me, as I just can't help but spoil myself with what's going on at Aus-pace, but it makes it far less enjoyable later on. So if the broadcasts here and in Australia were the same we wouldn't have this problem. However, unified Aus/UK episode discussions here on BTTB would be interesting. To have the end-of-season cliffhanger on the same day before a 6-week break in both countries would increase activity here I'm sure. I find it so easy to lose track as it is!

For years I've watched Home and Away at Australian pace, it is just easier. But they seem to be lengthening the gap again. I remember around 2007-2008 the gap was only a week, but I really do have a problem with channel 5 deciding when Ireland can show it or not. It's been on RTE a lot longer than Channel 5 and shouldn't they have the right to show it when they want and not when the UK decides?

However Channel 5 take winter breaks as well during the Christmas holidays, and I can't help thinking it would make far more sense to have both shows in sync in both countries. I don't think there should be any technical issue with this, as Australia are at least 7 hours ahead, so new episodes will always be shown there first. Although sometimes they show double episodes on a Friday in Aus to allow broadcast of football or something on the Thursday, and on these occasions the UK would be one episode ahead.

I suppose with a 7 hour delay there's always the risk that you'll still see spoilers posted by Australians but at the very least it would mean everybody could come online at the weekend and discuss the previous week and the week ahead together. I don't think the show would suffer if it was on during the summer in the UK. Perhaps a few less people would watch it over the summer weeks but they can always catch up online. I think the summer break is a relic from a bygone time - but obviously there has to be a break at some stage if the Australians take an 8 week break.

This is a big problem for me, as I just can't help but spoil myself with what's going on at Aus-pace, but it makes it far less enjoyable later on. So if the broadcasts here and in Australia were the same we wouldn't have this problem. However, unified Aus/UK episode discussions here on BTTB would be interesting. To have the end-of-season cliffhanger on the same day before a 6-week break in both countries would increase activity here I'm sure. I find it so easy to lose track as it is!

I think it would unite the community worldwide. It's a shame we have to have separate discussions. I love to read what other people think of storylines but by the time I get to discuss them, it's all a distant memory for the Australians!

I think it would unite the community worldwide. It's a shame we have to have separate discussions. I love to read what other people think of storylines but by the time I get to discuss them, it's all a distant memory for the Australians!

By the time episodes have aired in non-English speaking countries, it's all a distant memory for members from Australia, UK, Ireland and New Zealand as the episodes have to be translated, subtitles have to be added or voices have to be dubbed so there will always be a delay for us.

When I joined BttB, Belgium was about two years behind the episodes airing in Australia. I couldn't go in a thread without reading spoilers. I don't mind reading the occasional spoiler but reading spoilers that were only going to happen on my screen in two years was a bit much. Fortunately, it was summer and the weather sucked so I started watching the occasional episode on youtube because I couldn't go outside because of the crappy weather and I was really bored. :P

The good thing with being far behind is that we don't need breaks! :P We are slowly catching up so one day, we will have to have breaks too. <_<

Archived