Welcome to a newbie - and 1994?

Guest 83ray1

Hi I'm really excited to have discovered this forum. The recent repeats on 5* have made me realise how much of a fan I am.

What I noticed about them though was how uneventful 1994 was. However, I think 1994 is important as a defining year for the show. When soaps introduce new characters, its better to let them settle in before giving them dramatic stories. 1994 finished off "the early years" and introduced us to Angel and Shane the super couple, Let Irene and Sam settle in, introduced Shannon, Curtis etc..

It let them settle in before the show took a more fast paced and dramatic edge during 95 and 96. 95 was the start of a new era, especially when Angel left and Micheal and Jack also.

What were your highs and lows of 94?

I agree about 94. It's definately one of the weakest years in terms of options to choose stand-out episodes from. However, I used to think 1990 was a very weak year until I saw it all again and now think it was a great year. 1994 may be one of those years that, while there is not much in the way of memorable storylines, is great continuing drama to just sit down and watch.

If I had to pick a high I'd say it was the Ross house falling apart with Pippa and Michael's seperation.

Low would probably be losing Adam, though I think at the time the character had probably come to a natural conclusion.

beau_t, I was always unsure about 1990 too, but perhaps looking back that may have been the lack of information that existed about it. It was certainly better than the slightly bizarre late-1989.

And actually that can be what worries me about 1994 as well. I've read some of the storylines and they seem bizarre, but I think it will depend on whether they are just one-offs or whether it actually overpowers the show.

Neighbours went a similiar way in 1995. I believe that an entire weeks episodes had as a main theme Helen and Marlene going to a craft fair.

I really have fond memories of 1994 and think I'll enjoy watching it again. Shane/Angel and Fisher living together, Irene becoming established in the Beach House, the introduction and getting to know Shannon, Selina, Curtis and Jack and I just remember an overall feeling of 'warmth' and general Summer Bay goings on. It may not be a big year in terms of huge storylines but I consider it as the beginning of the Golden Era.

I think giving Pippa and Michael marital troubles is one of the most traumatic things they could have done, taking the one thing that was relied upon to be a safe haven and making it as unstable as anything else:Sally going into meltdown at the family she's invested everything in falling apart, Jack having a second father walk out on him, Shannon having her new family disintegrate around her almost as soon as she arrives.Maybe I've led a sheltered life but I find seeing your parents arguing far more relatable and thus far more frightening than guns being waved around.

I think giving Pippa and Michael marital troubles is one of the most traumatic things they could have done, taking the one thing that was relied upon to be a safe haven and making it as unstable as anything else:Sally going into meltdown at the family she's invested everything in falling apart, Jack having a second father walk out on him, Shannon having her new family disintegrate around her almost as soon as she arrives.Maybe I've led a sheltered life but I find seeing your parents arguing far more relatable and thus far more frightening than guns being waved around.

Completely agree.

Completely agree.

As do I, well said.

It does feel like these sort of realistic/relatable issues that the show used to cover, and cover well are no longer seen as dramatic enough for the current show?

• 3 months later...

There was nothing wrong with 1994 per se, It's just the really really dramatic moments were few and far between. I suspect they wanted a lighter tone after Dale and Bobby died the year before and it shows, with the focus on Shane and Angel's relationship.

The real standout events were

Nathan's true colours being exposed

Sam burning down Adam and Irene's shack

Tug's self-destruction and crush on Beth

Pippa vs Michael over money/Haydn

Roxy's cancer scare

That week where Damian was exposed as the exam cheat

Other than that there was probably a bit more comedy thrown in, mainly due to Jack's early stories. His antics were comparable with Lance and Martin's to begin with. His attempts to crack on to Angel and stir Shane made that Season worht watching.

beau_t, I was always unsure about 1990 too, but perhaps looking back that may have been the lack of information that existed about it. It was certainly better than the slightly bizarre late-1989.

And actually that can be what worries me about 1994 as well. I've read some of the storylines and they seem bizarre, but I think it will depend on whether they are just one-offs or whether it actually overpowers the show.

Neighbours went a similiar way in 1995. I believe that an entire weeks episodes had as a main theme Helen and Marlene going to a craft fair.

Neighbours was WAY worse in 1995 than H&A was in 1994. I don't any episode from that year has ever made it onto any of the DVDs :lol: The BBC reportedly had to intervene to get it back on track.

Archived