Secret Desires

Guest Sally_Fletcher

Final Chapter. Once again, thank you for reading and reviewing.

"Mr Stewart..."

Milly was pale as the realization hit her.

Alf shook his head as he stared at Brad.

"Brad?"

"Alf, I know it doesn't make sense, but..."

"You're damn right it doesn't make sense! You could go to jail for this. She's a child, Brad!"

Milly took Brad's hand, her eyes pleading.

"I'm not. I know I'm young, but I've... I've experienced the world, I was forced to grow up faster than anyone else I know."

"That doesn't make this right."

"I know."

"Brad, you're her teacher. Her principal."

Brad looked down, fear settling in him.

"I know that. But what we have is more important than that."

"If Jack found out, you could be arrested!"

Milly took a step back from Brad, dropping his hand as though it were on fire.

"Jack won't find out... no one else will."

"How can you be sure of that? Did you bet on me finding out?"

An awkward silence followed and Alf continued gently.

"Who else knows?"

Milly closed her eyes, tears stinging in them.

"Johnny. Johnny Cooper knows."

Alf's words were directed at Brad, leaving no room for argument.

"Brad, you have to end this. For your own safety. This... it is wrong. And dangerous."

Brad searched for Milly's hand, his heart jerking when he found her arms folded across her chest.

"I... I know that."

"Please don't let this ruin you."

They both nodded, watching with dropping hearts as he walked away.

Milly turned to Brad, biting back tears.

"Brad, he's right... This is wrong. And you could get in so much trouble. I can't be responsible for that."

"I love you."

She rested her forehead against his for but a second.

"I love you too. That's why I have to leave. I'll... disappear. You'll be safer that way."

"What about you? If you leave, nothing stops Johnny from following you and..."

She shook her head quickly.

"He won't hurt me. He'll... I have information that he wants, he can't do anything to me if he doesn't have that."

"Information?"

"I'm... the only one who knows where his child is."

Dinner could not have been more uncomfortable. Both Sally and Rocco spent the entire time avoiding not only each others, but Ric and Cassie's gazes. Sally looked up when the door burst open, revealing Alf.

A look in his eyes revealed that he was troubled and Sally glanced at Rocco. He was looking at Alf, clearly worried.

"Join us for dinner?"

Sally's voice was unexpectedly hoarse and Alf nodded, seemingly not noticing it.

The usually bubbly family finished dinner in silence - as if they knew something strange was in the air. Only when Ric left to visit Matilda and Cassie went to the diner to meet up with Martha did Alf speak.

"Rocco, could you excuse us, mate? There's something I need to discuss with Sal."

Rocco nodded silently, heading for his room and Alf looked at Sally seriously.

"Sal, what I am about to say will not be easy to hear. But it's something that can't be left alone."

Sally nodded, waiting for him quietly.

"It's Brad. He has a relationship with a student."

Sally did not have to fake the shock in her voice, though it was for a different reason than Alf suspected.

"I... how did you find out?"

"I saw them."

"What... Why are you telling me this?"

Alf sighed, troubed.

"I know he's a good man, Sal... But the girl is a child. It is not right. I can't just leave it. If the parents found out, they'd have a field day. Something needs to be done..."

"Alf..."

"I'm sorry. I had to talk to Jack about it. It's in his hands now."

Where he sat on the stairs, Rocco paled, his heart beating furiously. He looked down at Sally, who was struggling to keep her composure.

"I... don't know what to say."

"I had to warn you. He will want to question you. Don't... I know you'll want to protect Brad, Sal, but think of the students. You have to do the right thing."

Sally nodded blindly, taking a while to notice that Alf stood up wearily.

"I feel terrible about this. But it was the right thing."

He seemed to have aged in mere minutes as he left, walking heavily.

Rocco descended the stairs, sitting down next to Sally - shellshocked.

"We have to warn them."

"We do."

"Sal... what are they going to do?"

They had barely finished speaking, when Milly appeared in the doorway, her face tearstained.

The bag in her hand spoke volumes and Rocco frowned.

"Milly..."

"I had to tell you before I left."

"Jack knows about you and Brad."

"We figured."

Sally and Rocco looked up slowly as Brad appeared behind her.

"We're leaving. Both of us. It's just... better that way. We just had to warn you that... Alf found out, Jack will be investigating."

Sally nodded thoughtfully.

"We have to leave too, don't we?"

Rocco moved forward, grabbing her hand in his.

"Sal..."

She blinked away tears, looking at him with pure adoration.

"I love my children, Rocco... but I am not letting you go."

It was not half an hour later when the four of them were seated in a car, repeatedly glancing back. When the last light in Summer Bay disappeared from their view, Sally rest her head on Rocco's shoulder, her eyes gleaming with tears. Milly's hand rested on Brad's leg, her heart heavy. Brad managed to smile, looking at the woman he had fallen in love with. His voice held optimism as much as sadness.

"We'll start a new life. All of us. Together."

Sally smiled as her fingers entangled with Rocco's.

"It's worth it."

It was Cassie who found the letter, Ric catching her as her knees buckled under her in shock. It was a matter of minutes before most of Summer Bay assembled in the Caravan Park, taking turns to read the letter that explained everything.

Not far from the house, in the darkness sat Johnny Cooper. Sure, he could find them. He could do his best to find the four and torture each and every one of them for taking his brother away from him. His eyes fell to the picture Milly had dropped in her rush to flee from Summer Bay.

A blue eyed baby stared back at him innocently.

Johnny smiled as his fingers traced the boy's face.

Or he could find someone more important.

THE END.

I would like everyone who has taken the time to read this fic over the years. I appreciate it immensely. I decided to leave an open ending. My decision to let Sally, Rocco, Brad and Milly leave Summer Bay was for the obvious reason that as long as I had them secretly continue their relationships there, I would not be able to end the fic at all - secret relationships are too far from a happily ever after. Johnny choosing to find his son rather than the four, is based on his words that Brandon could have saved him. In my head Johnny wanted to be saved...

Comments

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived