Model behaviour: Samara Weaving plays it cool

Guest Mishyy

SQUASHED into a tiny trophy room at Bondi Icebergs, Samara Weaving has one person doing her make-up, another primping her hair and someone else at her feet, tying the laces on her shoes, before we all exit in a flurry of hairspray.

Propped up on the rocks of the pool level, Weaving looks every bit a seasoned model, even though she's a little outside her comfort zone.

"You have to go with it and be a bit of a poser on photoshoots," she laughs later, as we sit down to chat. "You're embarrassed at first, but you just have to deal with it."

It's hard to believe the Adelaide-born actor was shy as a child - a product of her family moving countries a lot, living in Fiji, Indonesia and Singapore.

"I had trouble making friends because we moved around so much," says the 20-year-old. "My parents thought if they put me in drama classes, I might come out of my shell. It worked and I've acted ever since."

Weaving settled in Sydney in 2009 after landing the part of Indigo Walker on Home and Away, a role that cemented her as a promising up-and-comer. But she says playing a teenage wife on the show proved to be a challenge.

"I have no idea what it's like to be married, so I had to ask married people and study my parents. But Home and Away is a good learning environment; everyone helped me figure it out."

She'll never be short of encouragement from her family, either. It's hard to miss the surname she shares with her uncle, acclaimed theatre and film star Hugo Weaving.

"Obviously, we discuss [the acting industry], but he's more of an Uncle Hugo than a big actor to me," she explains. "But there's something in our blood, us Weavings."

Indeed, her younger sister, Morgan, recently joined the H&A cast, which is also where Weaving met her boyfriend, co-star Axle Whitehead. ("It's only new, but it's going really well," he recently told The Sunday Telegraph.)

"It's a nice family environment and we'll often hang out offset if we're not sick of each other," says Weaving. "But, in my spare time, I'm either watching TV, eating or sleeping."

Although she's the Bonds summer youth ambassador and spends a fair chunk of time on TV in a bikini, the petite actor insists she's no gym nut. "I don't do anything out of the ordinary," she shrugs. "I try to eat healthy and exercise as much as I can, even if it's just a 20-minute run."

Is she ready to follow in the footsteps of other H&A alumni and crack the big time overseas? "I'd love to work in England or America. But as long as I'm doing what I love, I'm happy. That's as much as I can ask for."

CHECK OUT BEHIND-THE-SCENES FOOTAGE OF OUR PHOTOSHOOT AT WWW.SUNDAYTELEGRAPH.COM.AU.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celeb...6#ixzz1zyPtRDip

Source

Archived