Tomorrow and Forever

Guest ScreamingQueen2006

Again real life took over and I had to catch up with that, but I'm back now and things should be wrapping up pretty quickly.

Chapter 16 – Part 2

Pier Diner

“Xave?” April’s voice cut into his thoughts.

Xavier jumped with a startle and realised April had sat down at the table.

“What did you want to see me about?” She asked.

Xavier focused on her. “You’re a really awesome girl, but…”

April smiled a little. “It’s ok Xave.”

“It is?” He looked puzzled.

“I know what you’re going to say.”

“You do?” Xavier raised his eyebrow.

“It’s so obvious. You asked me here to break up because you still like Ruby, right?” April paused like a child anticipating a gold star.

“Yeah, that’s right.” Xavier said awkwardly.

“Well as long as we can still be friends.”

The directness made Xavier feel even more awkward. He thought their friendship would be non-existent or riddled with weirdness. “Yeah course.”

April spotted a familiar face, heading toward them. “Hey Ruby.”

“Hey. You all good to go Xave?” Ruby said. “The film starts in about a half hour.”

“You can come too if you want.” Xavier said to April.

“No its ok, you guys go. I’ve got study to do.” April watched them leave the diner.

Bobby started to clear the table of the empty milkshake glasses and noticed April’s now sad expression. “Heartbreak?”

“I make, oh, about the zillionth one who’s had this happen to them. I think I’ll survive though.”

Blaxland Wharf

Matthew and Annie walked along the pontoon. The soft pink and orange sunset reflected on the bay. Masts of stately sailboats pierced the sky, and the water rippled gently with the breeze.

Matthew was the authority on all things regarding the rowing boat. He had climbed in and already had an oar in hand, ready to paddle to the awaiting destination. “We’d better set sail before you change your mind.”

He and Annie stared at each other for several seconds, until she shivered and looked away. His hazel eyes burned with a passion that made her heart throb.

Matthew began to paddle away from the platform. “Your waterfall palace awaits.”

Annie gave a half smile. “You can charm all you want but it won’t work.”

Matthew changed the oar to his other hand. “Guess I’ll just have to think of something else.”

--------

Annie and Matthew had walked from the boat through a trail of tall trees to a plateau of solid rock, where a picnic hamper sat. The area was secluded, and there was nothing to listen to except for the natural sounds of the crickets chirping.

“I know I’ve been a jerk.” Matthew said just as he finished a bread roll. “See all this, I’m trying to make it up to you.”

“You think chicken wings, bread rolls and grapes are going to make things right?” Annie asked.

“No, well not straight away, I know it’s gonna take time. I just wanted to show you that I mean what I say. I’m not interested in Nicole, I’m interested in you. ” Matthew scratched the side of his neck. “How come these mossies aren’t getting you?”

Annie gave him an unsatisfied look. “Gee thanks. You want them to attack me?”

Matthew kept on scratching at his hands and arms. “No. I just want to know why they’re biting me.”

Annie grabbed the serviettes. “Come on Matt, we should probably go. The mossies are treating you like their own personal blood bank.”

“You hated it didn’t you?”

“It was a really nice idea to come here, just maybe would have been a better experience without the flying bugs.”

Matthew gave her a smile. “At least that’s something.” He looked up over toward the boat and saw it had drifted away to where they had left it. “Oh what.”

Annie turned round to look. “Oh no. What are we gonna do?”

“I’m gonna have to go in and get it, aren’t I?”

Yabbie Creek Cinema

The movie crowd spilled out of the cinema. The glorious sunshine served as the perfect backdrop for Ruby and Xavier’s day out.

“That was awesome.” Ruby said.

“You liked it?” Xavier said surprised. “I didn’t know Resident Evil was your thing.”

Ruby shot him a look. “Just because I’m a chick does not mean I’m a wimp.”

Xavier took a final sip of his Coca Cola and tossed the can into the bin. “I guess this makes up for the time you made me go see Step Up 3.”

They both glanced at each other and laughed.

Braxton’s House

Heath stood in the open doorway, irritated at the sight before him. “What do you want?”

“I’d like to ask you a few questions.” Jack replied. “Where were you on the night Duncan Stewart had his bike accident?”

“How the heck am I supposed to know when that was.” Heath smirked. “You coppers need to do your homework next time before you start harassing me at home.”

Jack pressed on. “We have reason to believe you were the cause of his accident. Drag racing, ring any bells to you?”

Heath shook his head. “Nah, but I got two guns under the seat of my car. Couple ounces under the dash. Ya know, the usual.”

Jack took out a pair of handcuffs from his back pocket. “I think we should perhaps have this discussion down at the station.”

Beach House

Matthew stood in the lounge soaked from head to toe. “Go on it’s a laugh a minute.”

“I wish I’d had a camera.” Annie laughed. “Wait, scratch that, next time I go anywhere with you I’ll capture it on my phone. Just a click of a button and it’s on the net too.”

“You wouldn’t?”

“Maybe not that, but I’d still think about videoing it.”

“Sorry about wetting your clothes when I dived in.”

Annie ran her fingers through her hair. “It wasn’t your fault.”

“Yeah well this is all practice for next time, cos like you just said. Next time we go anywhere together.”

Annie smiled up at him. “I did.”

Matthew moved closer. “So does this mean we’re going out?”

“Yeah, I guess it does.”

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys.

There’s going to be four two parter chapters special in the countdown to the end of this fic.

So I lost some of the papers that I wrote my chapter on and I had to rewrite some parts of this.

Chapter 17 - Part 1 and 2

2 weeks Later

“Hey Matt.” Nicole said, sliding into the seat next to him.

“Nic.”

“I would have expected Annie to be attached at your hip. Maybe we could benefit from her absence, for old times sake?” She slipped off her heel underneath the table and ran her foot up his calf.

Matthew froze at her implication of a rendezvous, possibly here at the party or elsewhere. He felt the intensity of her foot travelling up his leg. He considered the offer until Annie glanced over at him.

He moved his leg out of Nicole’s reach. “I don’t think that’s a good idea.”

“I don’t seem to remember you objecting before.” Nicole scoffed.

“I guess I found respect for myself. Maybe you should try it sometime.” He raised himself from the chair, juice in hand and made his way toward Annie.

Nicole leaned back in her chair, mulling over his words. Even if they were true, it hurt to know that people looked at her in that way.

-----

Xavier clutched a fresh beer in his hand, as he pushed his way through the crowd of partying friends.

“This totally beats my non-party at Halloween.” Ruby said behind him.

“Why? What happened?”

“Nothing. I was just babysitting VJ. I couldn’t do anything until he went trick or treating, and even then I still couldn’t do anything.”

“You could have handcuffed him to the radiator and left.”

“Yeah, thanks for the tip Xave.” Ruby laughed.

The Jesse J song Price Tag took over the party, but as far as Annie was concerned she had better things to do with her time than listen to it.

“Seriously, Annie? You’re leaving already? Don’t be lame.” Matthew said.

“I’m not being lame. It’s called being studious.” Annie replied.

Matthew could see she had made up her mind. He handed his half-drunk cup to Xavier. “I’m gonna walk her back to Irene’s.”

“You guys gonna be ok?” Annie asked her friends.

“Me and Xave will keep an eye on that one over there.” Ruby tilted her head toward Melody, who was dancing obliviously.

“I should probably go steady on the drinks cos I can bet we’ll wind up driving PussyCat Doll Mel home.” Xavier said.

They all said their goodbyes as Matthew and Annie left the party.

Beach House

Annie lowered her handbag down her shoulder and unzipped the compartment where she stored her keys.

Matthew stepped closer; his fingers began moving strands of hair out of her eyes. “It’s been fun hanging out.”

Annie felt a smile overtake her face. “It was.” She tried not to bristle at his touch, but she was still very self-conscious about another person touching her.

Matthew’s hand began to move down her stomach.

Anne pulled back. “Matt. Wait. Not now. Not yet. I’m sorry.” Even the simplest of words felt like marbles crowding her mouth. “I don’t think I’m ready for that at this point.”

“It’s cool. I get it.”

“Thanks.” Annie could see his disappointment, but he was being a trooper about it.

Ouside the Party

Later Ruby and Xavier led Melody out of the party.

“How are you getting home, Mel?” Ruby asked.

“I think Miles is picking me up.”

Ruby looked around the parking lot. “I don’t see anyone waiting. “

“Maybe he forgot.” Melody replied.

“Ok well, you can still catch a ride back with us.”

“I’ve only had one beer, so you’re in luck tonight Mel. It’s totally safe.” Xavier said, swinging his keys around on his forefinger.

“Well that’s nice of you both to offer, but I’m gonna wait and see if Miles shows.”

“Ok, if you’re sure.”

“I think so.”

Melody had waited for Miles, but he hadn’t shown. She crossed the parking lot but had only made it a few steps when a voice called out to her.

“Hey. Excuse me.”

Melody scanned the dark for a moment before she saw him, leaning against the wall, smoking.

“You’re friends with Matthew Morgan-Stewart and his friends right?”

“His girlfriend is my best friend.”

“Oh. Great. Matt and me we’re related.” He held out what he’d been smoking. “Want some?”

“No thanks.”

“Suit yourself.” He passed her a critical look. “So what’s your name? I’m Duncan.”

“Melody. You’re ‘the’ Duncan? I’m surprised we haven’t met yet, I guess when you came back I was on holiday at my aunts.”

Duncan nodded his head. “Guess so.”

“So you’ve been in hospital?”

“Yeah, was racing my bike and it ticked the guy off that my bike was faster than his pretty Audi A8. So he rear-ended me. It totalled the bike, and almost totalled me. I’ve just been on outpatient treatment.”

“That’s awful.”

Duncan walked with Melody along the beach. “I’m heading to the Caravan Park. You want some company?”

As Melody relaxed into conversation with him she didn’t have time to think about it. “Sure.”

Thanks for the comments.

The aftermath of the party is here. Hope you guys enjoy reading, :)

WARNING: Description of a sexual nature.

Chapter 18 – Part 1 and 2

Pier Diner

Irene noticed Annie stood near the coffee machine. “How did last night go darl?”

“Alright I guess. I kinda came home early.”

“Why? I thought you were excited about going. It’s not as if you go out all the time.”

“I know it’s just…I’m really nervous about exams and thought studying would be better than taking a break at some lame party.”

“Too much study isn’t good either. You need to find a balance.”

Annie frowned as she looked at her phone.

“What’s wrong now?” Irene asked.

“It’s Melody. I text her last night and then again this morning, but she hasn’t replied.”

“Maybe her battery’s flat or her phone’s switched off.”

“She usually replies.”

“I’m sure you’ll hear from her at some point.”

“I hope so.”

Ruby who had overheard the last part of their conversation chimed in. “You hope what?”

“That Melody texts back or calls, or something.” Annie replied.

“Why? What’s up?”

“I haven’t spoken to her since last night.”

“That’s strange, especially for Mel.”

“Didn’t you and Xavier drive her home?”

“We offered her a lift, but she decided to wait for Miles, he’d arranged to pick her up or something.”

“And did he?”

“I don’t know. We left shorty after that.”

“I’ve gotta go over there. I’ll see you later.” Annie flew past Colleen, who had her hands full with plates.

“Steady on Speedy Gonzalez!”

Martha’s Farm

Martha zipped the last of her bags. “I think I have everything I want.”

“Rightyo. We best head home then. Matt, can you carry the luggage to the car?” Roo asked.

“Why me?” Matthew whined.

“What did your last slave die of?”

“Laziness.”

“That’s what I thought. Your arms and legs are younger so you can carry.”

Matthew grabbed the handles of the nearest bag. “I’m still trying to get my head round you having a baby.”

Martha looked at him. “So am I. Don’t go getting any ideas now will you? Justin Bieber and all that.”

“Don’t worry sis, I’m not planning on anything like that.” He said carrying the bag out to the car.

Roo brought out the last suitcase. “Are you sure that’s everything?”

“Yep.”

Summer Bay House

“Hey Annie.” Miles spoke from the desk.

“Hey. Have you seen Melody today?”

“No, but I heard her in the shower about twenty minutes ago.”

“Is it ok if I go up and see her?”

“Sure, off you pop, I have some marking to do.”

Annie made her way up the staircase and knocked on Melody’s bedroom door.

“Who is it” Melody called.

“It’s me, Annie.” She opened the door and found her friend, sat on a stool at the makeup mirror, brushing her damp hair. “Where’ve you been Mel? I’ve sent you texts and heard nothing from you.”

“Yeah, I…” Melody finished her hair, setting the brush down on the mahogany unit and turning to face Annie. “I’m sorry I didn’t answer your texts.”

“Is everything ok?”

“I’m ok, yeah.” Melody didn’t look like she was being truthful, she appeared shaky and timid.

Annie closed the door for privacy. She didn’t want Miles or anyone to hear their conversation. She walked over to Melody’s bed and sat down. “Did you get back ok after the party?”

“Yeah. I did.”

“That’s good that Miles was ok about driving you back so late.”

“He didn’t.”

“Did you just walk home alone?”

“Umm, yeah.”

“Oh Mel. Do you know how irresponsible that is”

“I know alright. I know exactly. It’s not going to change anything now. What’s done is done.”

Annie wasn’t sure what Melody meant. “Has something happened? Ruby said she and Xavier were with you until you guys all left. They offered you a ride, but you waited for Miles.”

Melody sat down on the bed next to Annie. “He didn’t tell you did he?”

Annie looked puzzled. “Who? Xavier? What would he have told me?”

“No. Not Xavier. That guy Duncan. I just figured he’s Matthew’s uncle, he might have told you.”

“Told us what? Melody, you’re scaring me! What does he have to do with this? Did Duncan do something to you?”

After a long moment of silence Melody lifted her eyes. “Yeah.”

“You can tell me.” Annie placed an arm around Melody’s shoulder.

Finally Melody looked at her. “Ok, but you have to promise not to tell anyone. Not a single soul. No one can know about this.”

Annie nodded. “I promise.”

Hall Residence

Dexter and Ruby who had been stood by the car, now stepped forward to say their goodbyes, each gave Adrian a hug.

“I feel like I just found you and now you’re leaving.” Dexter said.

“Same. I’m going to miss seeing you every day.” Adrian replied.

“Have a safe journey. Don’t forget to visit.” Ruby said.

“Thanks, and don’t worry, you haven’t seen the last of me. I hope.” Adrian smiled. “Ruby, can you give us a minute?”

“Sure.” Ruby walked toward the house, where a cart stacked of boxes stood.

“I know you don’t feel the same way.” Dexter began, refocusing on Adrian.

Adrian knew where this conversation was leading and she could feel everyone’s eyes on them. “We’re just friends Dex.”

“I don’t want to be just friends.” Then without warning, he kissed her.

When they separated the space between them they both became aware of Adrian’s parents and Ruby, watching them more intently.

“I really do like you Adrian.”

Adrian smiled at him. “I like you too.”

Summer Bay House

“I shouldn’t have gone back with him.” Melody said.

“We all make judgemental errors. You weren’t to know what he was going to do.”

“I know, but…” Melody let out a loud sigh. “I feel like such an idiot.”

“Don’t blame yourself for this.” Annie began. “Duncan’s the jerk.”

Another sniffle escaped as Melody raised her hand to her face and wiped the tears from her eyes. “Thanks for listening Annie.”

Annie gave Melody’s shoulder a squeeze and slid her hand back into her own lap. “Matt will kill him when he finds out.”

Whatever peace had recently come over Melody disappeared in an instant. “No. You can’t tell him.”

“He lives here too Melody. You can’t expect him not to suspect anything.”

“Promise me you won’t tell anyone, especially not Matthew.”

“Mel…”

“Promise me!”

There wasn’t much Annie could do, but agree. “I promise, but don’t like this Mel. I really think Duncan’s family should know what a creep he is.”

“I just, don’t want this getting out.”

There was a knock at the door which made the girls spring into action. Melody swept her pile of tissues into the waste basket.

Annie flew to her feet and debated whether to open the door. “Who is it?”

“It’s Matt.”

Annie glanced at Melody to make sure she was ok with letting him into the room, and then proceeded to open the door. “Hey! Did you just get back from Martha’s?”

“A short time ago yeah, she’s gonna be staying here for a while.” He planted a kiss on Annie’s lips. “Miles said you were up here so thought I’d come see you.”

“How’s Martha?” Annie asked.

“She’s been throwing up pretty much all day, it’s really gross.” He saw Melody at the makeup mirror. “Hey Mel.”

“Hi.” Her voice still shaky.

Matthew seemed to sense the tension in the room. “What have you both been up to?”

“Nothing. Just having a chat about exams, right Annie?”

“Right.” Annie knew she had no other choice but to honour her friend’s wish.

Pier Diner

Annie sat at a table waiting for Matthew to get back from ordering takeaway at the counter. A glass of strawberry milkshake stood untouched, as thoughts about what Melody had told her ran through her mind.

“Hey there.” A voice interrupted her peace and she realised as her eyes traced upward, belonged to someone who she really wanted to avoid.

“What’s up?” Duncan said, his gaze twinkling with some kind of mischief.

“Melody told me what you did to her and I can convince her to report it.”

Duncan let out a mock-horrified laugh. “What did I do exactly?”

“You made her give you a…” She could see Duncan relishing her discomfort. “A blowjob and forced her into foreplay. That was really mean and gross even for you.”

“I didn’t make her do anything. She was quite willing.”

“You also stole her clothes and forced her to walk back from your caravan in her underwear.”

“First of all.” He began. “I tapped her on the head to warn her. I can’t help if she was so into it.”

“What you mean is you kept her head held down.”

“Tapping? Holding? Who knows these days?”

“You’re such a moron.”

A surge of people moved past the table, and Annie found Matthew at her side. “Is he bugging you?”

“Hey, my favourite nephew. I’m the one being harassed here.”

Matthew gave Annie a questioning look. “What’s going on?”

Annie wanted to tell him how badly Duncan had treated Melody, but she had promised not to say anything. She knew Melody would never trust her with anything else ever again.

“Nothing.” She raised herself from her seat and grabbed his hand as she started to drag him down the aisle. “Let’s go.”

“Annie. Wait. You forgot something.”

She turned to see Duncan, her handbag in his hands. She hesitated before she grabbed it.

“See? I’m not always so bad.” He flashed her a closed mouth grin.

Summer Bay House

Martha entered the living room and noticed Liam on the couch naked, with only his guitar for modesty. “What are you doing here?”

“Your mum called me earlier.” He admitted. “She said I should plan something to take your mind off the whole stalker stuff.”

“Did anyone see you?”

“I waited till the coast was clear before I arranged myself like this.”

Martha smiled. “Well you better hurry up with your plan to seduce me cos my brother and his girlfriend will be back with dinner soon.”

“Oh really? Is my plan working?”

Martha nodded as she leaned in for a kiss. “Yeah. I think it just might be.” She closed her eyes as Liam kissed her neck. “Wait a second. Do you want something to drink?” She jumped off the couch and moved to the fridge.

“Yeah ok, a juice would be good.”

She opened the refrigerator and pulled out a bottle of Apple and Blackcurrant juice. She was about to take off the bottle top when she leaned against the counter and suddenly cried out in pain as she clutched her stomach.

Seeing as I'm feeling generous I thought I'd swiftly update.

Have you been thinking about who S is? You've still got time to make your guesses because the story isn't over just yet. :)

Chapter 19 – Part 1 and 2

Summer Bay General Hospital

In Martha’s hospital room, the new mother rested, while her family flanked the bed. Martha was unable to sit still, much less sleep, despite how exhausted she was. Her newborn daughter cradled in her arms, who had come into the world mere hours ago, there was nothing else that could make her happier.

“She’s absolutely beautiful.” Roo said, marvelling over her first grandchild. “Still don’t feel old enough to be a nanna.”

“She’s super cute.” Annie said.

“She’s got your eyes too Martha.” Matthew added.

“What have I gotten myself into?” Martha asked.

“You’ll figure it out as you go.” Alf told her. “Take my word for it. I was far from a natural at first.”

“You’ve still got a long way to go too.” Roo joked.

Martha appreciated the sentiment, but the enormity of the task ahead seemed to overwhelm her.

“So Granddad. What would you consider makes her a Stewart?” Matthew asked.

“Oh, I don’t know.” Alf thought with a smile. “Intelligent, a good sense of humour and fantastic looks.”

“She’ll definitely be a heartbreaker.” Annie’s little finger was in the grip of the tiny baby’s hand.

“Have you thought of a name yet?” Roo asked.

“I was thinking of Amelia. I had a really nice childhood friend with that name.”

“That’s lovely darling.” Alf said, smiling down at them both.

Martha looked down at little Amelia and imagined nothing but the endless possibilities that lay in wait for this young life.

Summer Bay House

“Congratulations Martha.” Leah said hugging her.

“Aww look at the little mite.” Colleen stood gawking down at the infant, her small fists balled up and her delicate eyes were shut.

“Want to hold her?” Martha asked Leah.

“Um, yeah sure.”

Martha picked up the little bundle and lowered her into Leah’s arms.

“Will you be having a Christening? It’s Stewart family tradition.”

“I don’t know Colleen.”

Leah wiggled a finger on the tip of Amelia’s nose.

“She’s pretty good at night, but I think I’ve driven Matt out. He’s spending most of his time at Annie’s.”

A knock on the door interrupted the conversation. Martha moved across the room, and as she opened the door, she saw it was Brax.

“I heard my little girl came home today.”

Pier Diner

It was already late evening and Dex, Ruby, Matthew, Annie and Melody sat round a table, each with their own milkshake.

“So was Transformers the greatest movie or what?” Dexter said with a grin.

“Yeah, it was pretty good, wasn’t it?” Ruby replied.

“I thought you were gonna watch that Ryan Gosling movie?” Annie asked.

Ruby gave a laugh. “I couldn’t exactly show Dex and Xave the Notebook Annie.”

“Speaking of the old dog, where is Xave?” Dexter asked.

“He had to stay home with Gina and John, something about dinner is an important family time.” Ruby said.

“I’m glad I don’t live in that house.” Dexter laughed. “So Matt, how’s your new niece?”

“She’s great, the apple of her mummy’s eye already.”

“Aww I bet she’s really cute. I can’t wait to meet her.” Ruby said happily.

“Me neither.” Dexter said. “She’ll just love the present I’ve got her.”

“Oh Dex, not that geeky science book?” Ruby mentioned.

“Yeah, what’s wrong with that?”

Matthew gazed at Dexter. “What would a baby need a geek book for?”

“Well she won’t be little forever, besides she may be a geek herself someday and find the words of science riveting. It’s better than the rattle Ruby got her.”

“Oh thanks a lot Dex.” Ruby shot a glare at him.

“I’m going to go get a re-fill.” Annie said pushing her chair away from the table. “Does anyone want anything while I’m up?”

They all declined the offer but thanked her before she headed off toward the counter.

Ruby noticed that Melody seemed distant and quiet. “Are you ok , Mel?”

“Yeah. I’m just not feeling very well.”

Matthew was about to engage in one of their usual back- and- forth games when he spotted Annie in some sort of confrontation with Duncan.

“What do you think that’s all about?” Dexter asked.

“I don’t know. It’s one thing for him to try to get under my skin but it’s totally out of order for him to be harassing Annie.”

Before Matthew had chance to rescue Annie, she had moved away from Duncan and ducked into the kitchen. She returned a few minutes later with her tumbler re-filled.

“What was that about?” Matthew asked.

“Nothing.”

“It looked like something to me. Why’s Duncan bugging you?”

Annie cast a quick glance at Melody, who looked like she was ready to spill the beans. “Just drop it, ok.”

“Something’s going on between you two. I wanna know what you’re hiding from me Annie.”

“I said it was nothing.” Annie snapped.

“It’s ok.” Melody interrupted. “I’ll tell him.”

“Mel, no.”

“Tell me what?” Matthew waited for one of them to spit out whatever they had been holding back.

Summer Bay House

Brax stepped across the threshold. The room was now empty of the visitors that once occupied it.

“You didn’t have to get them to leave.” Brax said.

“No, but you don’t want this conversation around them, do you?” Martha asked.

“No, you’re right. Do you think they heard me say my daughter?”

Martha shook her head. “I think don’t so.”

“Good.” Brax peeked into the mosses basket and looked at the tiny tot fast asleep. “She’s adorable eh. She’s lucky she’s got a mum like you.”

Martha folded her arms. “What did you come here for Brax?”

“To see my daughter, erm and also Heath tells me your uncle has been telling the cops he was responsible for Duncan’s motorbike accident. So I’d appreciate it if you could tell him to shut his mouth.”

“Excuse me? Maybe If Heath stayed out of trouble he wouldn’t be accused.”

Brax smirked. “Ok.”

“I want to get to sleep now, if you don’t mind. Amelia’s due for a feed in an hour.” Martha walked Brax to the front door.

“So when do I get to see her next?”

Martha hovered in the doorway. “I don’t know Brax, I’ll let you know. Now can you go?”

Brax took one last look at her then headed out into the night.

Pier Diner

“What a tool.” Matthew said as Melody wrapped up her story.

“That’s horrible. So sorry to hear that Mel.” Ruby said.

“It’s ok.” Melody muttered, she seemed disturbed by the entire incident.

Matthew turned to Annie. “Why didn’t you tell me this as soon as you found out?”

“I’m sorry, but Melody swore me to secrecy.”

“I’m gonna do what I should have done ages ago.”

“Matt, don’t.” Annie shouted.

It was too late, Matthew was out of his seat and on halfway across the diner. “I want a word with you.”

Duncan glared at him. “Why?”

“You’re scum, you know that? You owe Melody an apology.”

“I’m not going to apologise for her being a skank.” Duncan gave Matthew an unsettling look. “Oh, I get it, you’re jealous because little miss Christian won’t let you go past first base yet. Maybe you’re worried I’ll get to Annie next? Give her a first time she’ll never forget.”

Matthew slugged Duncan in the face, his fist connected with Duncan’s cheek.

Duncan made a show of staggering backward, knocking into someone’s chair.

Matthew was to about to punch him again, but before he had chance Alf planted himself between them, “What the flamin’ heck is going on here?”

Duncan held his face for effect. “He just punched me for no reason.”

As Matthew was about to react to Duncan’s lie, he caught sight of Annie’s disapproving look. He decided he needed to get out of there and fast. He bolted out of the door without looking back.

------

Duncan sat in an empty diner, an ice pack pressed to his bruised face. Alf sat opposite furious.

“What the hell has gotten into you Duncan?”

Duncan shrugged. “I don’t know.”

“Well are you gonna tell me what made Matthew hit you or am I gonna be left in the dark?”

“I can’t.”

“What do you mean you can’t?”

“I just can’t tell you dad, alright?” Duncan winced as he pressed a fresh ice pack onto his face.

Alf frowned. “Well that’s not good enough. I don’t want to see you at the house until tomorrow. Then we can get to the bottom of this.”

Franklin Residence

“I’m sorry Matt, I just don’t have time to talk to you right now.” Nicole said as she let him into the house. “Now can you please go? I’m kinda busy.”

“I just need somewhere to chill. I punched Duncan in the diner, and I wanna let things cool over before I go home.”

Nicole frowned. “What? Why?”

“He’s treated Melody like crap, it’s a long story.” He put his hands in his pocket and walked over to the couch. “So why are you acting weird around me all of a sudden?”

“I’m not.”

“What’s going on then?”

“Nothing.”

“I’m getting a bit sick of people keeping stuff from me.”

“Ok, if you paid attention to anything other than Annie you’d realise I’m upset.”

“What’s wrong?”

Nicole pulled him into the kitchen and grabbed something from her bag. “This.” She pushed a Clear Blue test kit in his hands. “I’m still waiting for the result.”

He looked down at the hour glass symbol as it flashed on and off. “As if my day couldn’t get any worse. I don’t want this.”

“And you think I do?” Nicole said sarcastically. “Can you seriously see me with a kid? It’d be the end of me.”

A diagonal line showed on the test and Nicole looked straight at the instruction leaflet. She sighed a sign of relief. “It’s negative, thank god.”

“Good.” Matthew said.

“So you still want to hang out here, huh?”

Matthew nodded. “Yeah.”

“Well, I don’t know.” Nicole toyed with the idea. “Ok, you can stay, I guess.”

“Cool.” He said smiling at her.

First I would like to thank everyone who has commented, especially my dedicated readers Pembie and Jarlie. I hope you guys from beginning to end enjoyed reading it as much as I did writing it. It has been one huge journey and the biggest project I’ve done so far, and now it’s time for me to take a hiatus. Don’t worry though, I’m working on Storming the Sand and I have plans for a sequel to this fic called Forever and a Day.

So here it is, the moment you’ve all been waiting for.

In the final chapter: Several characters are faced with dilemmas as secrets are known. After months of terrorising Martha the stalker’s identity is finally revealed. Just who is it? And will the death of a Bay favourite bring residents together or change things forever.

Chapter 20 - Part 1 and 2

Franklin Residence

“Hey.” Matthew said, raising his head from a pillow.

“Hey.” Nicole sat up in the bed slowly adjusting to the light coming through the blinds.

Matthew stared at her for a minute. “Did you sleep well?”

Nicole bit her lip. “You should probably go, if mum sees you…”

“She’ll flip?”

“No, she’s usually cool with whatever I do. I just don’t want the embarrassment.” Nicole flopped back onto the bed and stared up at the ceiling.

“Nic darling. Have you got anything that needs washing?” Natalie’s voice sounded from outside the door.

Matthew jumped out the bed and hid in amongst the masses of clothes in the walk in wardrobe.

Natalie entered. “Nic?”

“Yes mum?”

“I seriously hate all these chores, cooking, washing, and ironing. What did his last slave die of?”

A smile spread across Nicole’s face, as she propped herself up on her elbow. “It’s called being a house wife. I hear Christine was pretty good at it.”

“Well I’ve had enough. Not to mention church really is a bore. Get this, I painted my nails while the vicar spoke and the congregation kept tutting at me.”

“That’s all well and good mum, but I need privacy. I’m getting dressed now.”

“Ok, well just hand me anything dirty and I’ll take it with mine to the dry cleaners.”

Nicole placed a pile of clothes in Natalie’s arms and watched her leave the room. “You can come out now.”

Matthew appeared fully dressed. “That was close.”

Nicole rolled her eyes. “Tell me about it.”

“She really hates being married to Melody’s dad hey.”

“Yeah, I see a divorce on the horizon, but I can’t really blame her. He’s like a Nazi.”

“Ouch. Well I guess I gotta go face the music. I’ll text you later.” He gave her one last smile and after the sound of Natalie’s car had been and gone he left too.

Pier Diner

The diner was alive with activity, and the steady murmur of chatter filled the establishment.

Matthew sat quietly at a table, his hands around a coke glass. Duncan spotted him and made a beeline in his nephew’s direction and took a seat opposite.

“I don’t recall inviting you to sit here.” Matthew said.

“I don’t recall inviting you into my life, but poof.” Duncan gestured with his hands. “Here we are. Let’s just say we’re even and move on shall we. Oh by the way, I saw you earlier.”

Matthew shifted in his seat. “Saw me where?”

“At that one girl’s place. Nicole is it? I’m sure Annie would love to know you stayed the night, given the history.” Duncan smirked. “I even took a picture.”

“Don’t say a word.”

“Or what?”

“Get lost.”

“Roo isn’t too happy that you didn’t get home last night. Wonder what she’ll make of you and Nicole.”

“I said get lost!” Matthew shouted, which caused the customers to look over at his table.

Summer Bay High

“Your uncle’s pretty good at stressing people out. Melody’s not been the same since the whole Duncan fiasco.” Ruby said.

“Yeah well sometimes he just doesn’t think.” Matthew replied.

“You seriously can’t be defending the jerk.” Xavier chimed in.

“Yeah, Xave’s right. Melody didn’t deserve what happened to her. He really needs to be punished for this, before he does it to some other girl. You can’t let him get away with it.”

“Believe me. He hasn’t gotten away with anything.” Matthew responded.

“What do you mean by that?” Xavier asked.

“Look, I gotta go take care of something. See you guys in class.”

-----

Later that day in one of the classrooms, Matthew and Xavier sat eating their lunch.

“Why would he stay? I mean the secrets out of the bag.” Xavier said with a sandwich in his hand.

“No it’s not, you, Dex, and Ruby know. Mel, Annie and me make six. If we just keep it to ourselves.”

“Can you hear yourself? It sounds like you’ve changed your tune from yesterday. What happened to he deserves a good thrashing?”

Matthew shrugged.

“What kind of jerk does something like that? Does Duncan not feel anything for anyone?”

“No. I don’t know why he does the things he does. But you know what makes it worse? Annie kept it from me.”

Xavier finished a mouthful of his sandwich. “They are really good friends, maybe she just wanted to protect her.”

“I guess. I just thought we were the ones who didn’t keep secrets.”

“So what’s happening with you guys now?”

“I don’t know. I’ve not seen or spoken to her since yesterday.”

“I’m sure you guys will sort it out.” Xavier jumped off the table. “I’ve got to head over to the gym. You gonna be ok here by yourself?”

“Course man.”

Xavier left the classroom as April entered.

“Hey Matt.” She greeted him with a smile.

“Hey Frenchie.” Matthew said glumly.

“I heard about that thing with your uncle and Melody. That must really suck.”

Matthew frowned. “Who told you about that?”

“No one in particular…it’s just…I…” April didn’t know where to look.

“Who was it April?”

“The whole school knows, also there’s something else I think you should know.” She handed him a poster.

His jaw dropped when he saw it was a photo of him and Nicole. Someone had taken it from a distance and captured them in the upstairs bedroom. He didn’t have to guess who had done this.

“There’s posters everywhere, not hard to miss.” April continued. “If you wanna talk about it or whatever I’m here.”

“I’ve gotta go.” Matthew stormed out the room, and as he charged into the corridor he bumped into Annie.

They stared at each other for a moment, before Matthew broke the silence. “What’s the story morning glory?”

“So are we ok?” Annie asked. “I figured you needed some time out since you didn’t come back to Irene’s last night.”

Matthew nodded. “I guess.”

Annie didn’t buy his response. “Are you sure?”

“What did I forget Annie? That I remembered to pray? Cos believe me.” He took her by the arm and pulled her closer toward him. “That wouldn’t have made any difference. You kept the whole thing from me, I get that Melody’s friendship means more to you, but I could have helped her, or at least dealt with Duncan sooner.”

Annie yanked her arm away from him and turned to walk away. Then she saw the posters that Matthew had tried to shield her from, plastered all over the walls of the school.

Nicole entered from the top end of the corridor. “Annie. Those posters… the photo isn’t what it looks like.”

“I don’t care anymore Nic. You’re welcome to him.” Annie bolted past, as tears streamed down her face.

Beach House

Matthew knew it was a bold move, one that carried a high chance of rejection, but he had to try. He knocked on the open door and waited.

“What are you doing here?” Annie asked.

“Hey. I want to talk to you.”

Annie eyed him uncertainly. “Matt, we can’t do this.”

“Why not?”

“Because I can’t go down this road again, it just hurts too much.” Annie spoke sadly.

“I didn’t do anything with Nicole this time. I just stayed the night.”

“But you still lay with your head next to hers?”

“She’s in the past, but you and me…we were good together, we still can be. Just give me another chance. I’ll make it up to you Annie.”

Annie shook her head. “A few hours can’t erase everything. It doesn’t change who we are.”

“But I love you.”

“I love you too, but it’s not enough.” Annie’s words were tinged with sadness and bore a painful finality. “Goodbye Matt.” She took a step back and closed the door.

Yabbie Creek Police Station

Jack looked at Charlie. “Well Brax previously came in here about his concerns about this S woman. He was adamant that Martha be kept safe.”

“I knew there was something going on between them. He just would never tell me. So what happens now?”

“Well you and Brax are a private matter, but as for Martha. The best I can do is have someone watch her every couple of hours.”

“I hear she moved from the Caravan Park back to the farm.”

“That’s why I did it.”

“What about the woman?”

“Zilch. It really is a dead end. What you gonna do about Brax?”

Anger spread across Charlie’s face. “Kill him.”

Angelo’s

“Do you know what I have been trying to wrap my head around?” Charlie spoke. “How you’ve been playing me for a fool.”

Brax looked up from the roster book. “What are you talking about Charlie?”

“I know there’s something been going on with you and Martha. That child she just gave birth to, it’s yours isn’t it?”

Brax’s awkward silence was enough to give Charlie the answer she needed. “Oh my god.”

“Charlie come on, it was a mistake, a one-time mistake.”

“When were you going to tell me this? Were you just hoping I wouldn’t find out?” Charlie glared at him.

“I love you Charlie.” Brax’s eyes pleaded with hers.

“You made me feel paranoid and evasive Brax. That’s not love.”

“Like I said it was only one time. There hasn’t been anything between me and her since.” Brax told her truthfully.

“That’s nice Brax.” Charlie spoke, venom filling the air. “But it’s over, and I’m going and you better not try stop me.”

Charlie quickly sent a text to Ruby as she left the restaurant.

Rubes, it’s Mum. Can you meet me at the diner asap. Need to talk. X

Wilson’s Road

“Something the matter?” A young woman called out to Charlie.

“Flat tire.” Charlie replied.

“Do you need to call someone? A tow truck?” The woman asked, as she held out her mobile.

“I already called Triple O. I’m waiting for them, but I’m hoping to meet with my daughter so they best hurry.”

“Ah well, you can always catch a ride with me.”

“Are you sure?” Charlie asked.

“I don’t mind.” The woman persisted.

“Ok. Thanks.”

Charlie turned to open the passenger door, as she had her back to the woman she received a whack to the back of the head.

Pier Diner

Ruby sat at a table chatting with Dexter.

“I can’t eat anything but chocolate cake and drink huge cappuccinos.” Dexter said. “I think this missing Adrian is really affecting my immune system.”

Ruby took hold of her straw and sucked some of the cold milkshake into her mouth. “It’s not the dark ages, no more penned letters, you’ve got the internet to keep in contact.”

Dexter looked into his drink. “Yeah but it’s not the same.”

“You could wait for the holidays or better yet, you could get a car and drive to see her.” Ruby suggested.

“Hmmm, not a bad piece of advice. Now all I need is Daddy dearest to let me have a car.”

“Ah.” Ruby noticed Brax and called him over. “Hey Brax. Do you have a minute?”

“Sure. Is something wrong?”

“I don’t know.” Ruby tried to loosen her tangled web of thoughts. “Do you know where Charlie is? She sent me a text to come meet her here. I’ve been sitting here for over an hour, and she’s not shown and I’ve heard nothing from her and she’s not picking up any of her calls.”

“Yeah.” Brax said awkwardly. “We had an argument. Maybe she just needed time to get away.”

“Without telling me?” Ruby looked puzzled, taken aback by Brax’s words. “Charlie wouldn’t do that. She would have at least told me where she was going, not send a text saying meet me as soon as possible, need to talk.”

Brax’s face screwed up with confusion. “I really don’t know Ruby. Really I don’t.”

“Well then there’s only one thing I can do.”

Martha’s Farm

Amelia was now fast asleep in her cot, and so Martha slipped into the lounge, for some quiet time to herself. A knock at the door distracted her. She looked at her watch, she knew Brax wouldn’t be over to help with Amelia until later.

“Who is it?” Martha called. “Hello?” No answer. She grabbed a cricket bat from her bedroom and gripped it, then proceeded to open the door. “Who’s there?”

The look of terror on Martha’s face turned into confusion as she saw Charlie on the other side. “What are you doing here?”

“I just needed to come over.” There was a slight hesitation in her voice.

Gripping the door Martha shook her head. “No Charlie, I just got Amelia down and I’d like a moment for myself, without any visitors.”

“Right.” Charlie replied.

“Sorry Charlie.” Martha was about to close the door when Charlie held her hand out, pushing her way into the house, and out of the way to make room for someone else.

The face, it was so familiar that it caused Martha’s heart rate to drop. “Sarah, Sarah Lewis?”

Sarah smirked. “The one and only.”

Yabbie Creek Police Station

“Anything yet?” Ruby asked from a chair in the police constable’s office.

Jack set down the radio. “A bunch of officers have just got to Wilsons. They’ll keep us posted.”

“Thanks for doing this Jack. This seems so weird for Charlie, it’s not like her.”

“Well considering she didn’t turn up for her night shift, I think you did the right thing by coming here.”

“I just hope she’s ok. She doesn’t deal with relationship stresses well.”

“Do you think it’s possible she might’ve just wanted some time alone after her argument with Brax?” Jack asked.

“Even if she needed time away, she would have told me she’s ok and not to worry.”

A moment of silence passed as a wave of adrenaline surged through the room. The printer on the side of the desk started to print something. Jack looked at the fresh image as it came through; he grabbed his jacket and the piece of paper and headed for the door. “Ok, we need to go.”

Martha’s Farm

Martha’s eyes caught the attention of Charlie, who was tied-up and gagged on the couch. Then her attention fell on Sarah, the same woman she’d met in Brax’s club.

Sarah wielded the gun in her hands, sifting between thought and nonsense. The jabber coming out of her mouth was irritating Martha, more than when she was pacing around the room.

Sarah placed the gun to Charlie’s cheek and ran it down under her chin, as slowly and precisely as she could. “Now I’m going to take the tape off your mouth, but you’re not allowed to scream, got it?”

Sarah then looked at Martha and pointed the gun straight at her head. “You make a peep and I will blow her brains out.”

Sarah ripped off the tape and watched as Charlie gasped for air. “Now we are going to play a little game of truth or dare. Tell me Charlie. Is it true that you don’t like Martha very much? Let me remind you, if you tell a lie then I will shoot you.”

“Why are you doing this?” Charlie cried.

“That’s not what I asked you.” Sarah placed the gun to Charlie’s head. “How far are you prepared to go for love?”

Brax slipped in through the doorway and kept quiet.

Sarah turned her back to him as she towered over Charlie. This gave Brax the opportunity to swoop. He tackled Sarah to the ground and began a desperate fight for the gun. “Why are you doing this Sarah?”

“You killed my Felix, you and your brother.” She spat. “He was never a drug addict until he met you.”

As they struggled on the carpet, Sarah kneed him in the stomach and he tumbled off her. She stood up, angry and full of rage she aimed the gun at Brax but as she placed her finger on the trigger Charlie leapt off the couch to block him from the bullet. Two shots fired. Sarah dropped the gun and kneeled down beside Charlie, the pool of blood staining the rug underneath.

Brax seized his phone and began to dial for an ambulance.

“Everything’s gone.” Sarah muttered, her eyes focussed on Brax. “Do you know what it feels like when you have nothing left? Because I do.”

“The cops are waiting for you outside.” Brax seethed, then diverted his attention to Charlie, who he cradled in his arms.

Summer Bay General Hospital

Ruby ran her hands along the blanket that covered Charlie’s slumbering body. Suddenly, she heard the piercing cry of the heart monitor. Ruby clutched Charlie’s hand as the noise pattern stopped. “Someone do something!” She protested as she watched the doctors and nurses try to revive her mother.

She felt numb; her tears glistening on the side of her cheeks. Then everything stopped, everyone stopped and the only thing in the air was the sound of the heart monitor as Charlie flat-lined. There was nothing else they could do.

Comments

Archived