Tomorrow and Forever

Guest ScreamingQueen2006

Thanks Jarlie and Pembie. Hope you like this update. :)

@ Pembie - Nicole would probably have seen Matt around school. You know what she's like when she sees a guy she likes the look of. :lol: Things are going to get interesting with Annie in the frame too.

Chapter 11 – Part 2

Nicole Franklin’s Party

While the party continued downstairs, Nicole had let Matthew into her bedroom, and they now sat on the pink overthrow of her luxurious four poster bed.

Nicole noticed Matthew’s awkward silence. “Most guys would jump at the chance if they were up here with me. There’s no denying the fact that we’re both totally hot. So why the hesitation?”

“I’ve never done this before.”

Nicole moved closer. “I promise to be gentle.” She leaned in and he met the kiss. It grew from a flicker to a full-blown fire in a manner of seconds. He felt something in the pit of his stomach and pressed his body against hers.

“Well.” Nicole said breaking up the kiss, moving her hand down to his black jeans. “What do we have here?”

He felt he was about to lose his mind waiting for her to undo his zipper.

------

“So we’re going the wrong way on the freeway.” Dexter said to a small group. “My dad made me pull over, and he then had to turn the car around.”

“I can’t believe you’re actually allowed to take your driving test.” Adrian said.

“Maybe Sid’s just hoping he’ll do badly that the ADTA will ban him from driving forever.” Xavier chimed in.

The rest of the group laughed, particularly April, who they’d met that night.

“Remember the time you borrowed Sid’s car without asking and you and Ruby got pulled over by the cops.” Xavier continued. He stopped and realised who he’d just mentioned.

“How could I possibly forget? Not my finest hour, I must admit. Though for some reason I didn’t mind being grounded.”

“I think I need another one of these.” Xavier held up his nearly empty can of Red Bull. “Anybody else?”

“I could use one.” April said. She followed him into the kitchen. “Are you ok? You just seemed a little strange back there.”

“What do you mean?” Xavier opened the fridge.

“The way you went silent after you said that girl’s name. Ruby was it?”

“Yeah…She dumped me.”

“Well she’s either silly for letting you go or you did something bad.”

“Neither.”

“What then?”

“I don’t really want to talk about it. Do you usually ask this many questions?”

April smiled at him. “I’m the queen of being nosey.”

Xavier passed her a fresh can from the back of the fridge. He thought about what Adrian and Dexter had said earlier. It was a party and he was single after all, he should just enjoy it.

Macklin Development Office

Brett stared down at a seated Jack; he took a moment to determine his next strategy. “Listen Constable, it might all point to me.”

“Your face is on the flyers.” Jack cut in. “People witnessed you trying to advertise them in the diner. You’re aware of the prizes and you know they get given to holdouts.”

“The face is the brand.” Brett smiled smugly.

“You’ve made offers to buy houses in areas where fires have occurred.”

“You actually think I’d burn people out of their homes just so I could sell them new ones? That is quite an accusation to make Constable. I’m not that heartless.”

“So what are you plans when families like the Henderson’s refuse to sell up?”

“We’d build around them if we had to.”

“What do you know about families who win free holidays to Bali?” Jack asked.

“I’m not familiar with that.”

“I think you know more about the holiday offers than you’re letting on.”

“You’re missing something called proof.”

Jack stood up. “That’s all the questions I have for now. Thanks for your time.”

“So I’m not a suspect?”

“I’m not at liberty to say, but don’t go booking any trips away. If you know what I mean.”

Nicole Franklin’s Party

Adrian looked at her watch. “I need to get going soon, before curfew kicks in.”

“Me too.” Xavier said.

Dexter pulled out his car keys. “Ok guys, to the Dexmobile.”

“Where did Matt get to?” Xavier asked.

“Who knows?” Adrian shrugged.

“We can give you a ride home if you like.” Dexter said to April. “Don’t worry I’m not into kidnapping. I’m a nerd not a psycho.”

“It’s fine.” She replied. “I’ll be ok getting home. It was really nice meeting you guys.”

“Likewise.” Xavier said.

April searched in her handbag and brought out a black marker pen. She walked over to Xavier and wrote on his arm. “Now you’ve gone my number. Don’t be afraid to send me a text sometime.”

Dexter forced his way past a few dancers. He used his shoulder to edge his way round and almost as a clear path presented itself a girl backed into him, which knocked his drink out of his hand and onto Adrian’s blouse.

“Good one clumsy.” Adrian held her blouse away from her body. “Now we really have to leave, before anyone sees what a mess I am.”

“Nice one dude.” Xavier said.

“Sorry.” Dexter mumbled.

Adrian grumbled as she led the way out of the party, her two friends on her heels.

King’s Cross – Sydney

In the city approximately an hour from Summer Bay, two figures stood in a lit parking lot, the lights a brilliant contrast to the darkness that surrounded them.

“So are we gonna race or you chickening out”? The taller of the two asked, giving off a temperamental attitude.

“No, I’m still game. Think you’ll be jealous that my bike leaves your car for dust.” He flicked the dead cigarette onto the ground and took hold of his helmet.

“Doubt it. Race from a dig?”

“What’s a dig?”

The car in the car shook his head. “It allows you to hit higher miles per hour.”

“No can do mate, I’ve got duff suspension.”

“Right.”

“Race from a roll?”

“Whatever, let’s get this over and done with.” The guy who seemed to be covered in tattoos jumped into the driver’s seat of his Audi A8. He blipped the throttle twice with the clutch in and pulled out of a parking space of the shopping precinct. He rolled down the window and shouted the place of where they would race and drove away.

Later that night, on the motorway below the towering concrete pylons, the sports car and motorbike raced alongside each other, occasionally swerving between other vehicles on the cable-stayed bridge.

The racer revved the engine fiercely and lurched the car toward the biker, side swiping it. The biker swayed and with a terminal loss of grip it caused the bike to slide away from under him. The diver in the Audi looked into the rear view mirror and saw his opponent lying on the ground, but he stepped on the accelerator and sped away.

Two ambulances arrived within half an hour. Sid Walker stepped out from one and walked over to the young guy. He noticed a wallet on the grey tarmac. He picked it up and opened it, he saw the biker’s information, and read: Duncan Stewart. 9 June 1989.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Pembie and Jarlie.

I’ve not updated for a while because I’d gotten side-tracked watching the reruns of the early years. Hope you guys enjoy this chapter.

Chapter 12 – Part 1

Summer Bay General Hospital

Alf and Roo watched two paramedics burst through the doors. Their hearts sank as an injured Duncan was rolled into the hospital on a stretcher.

Alf hurried over to Sid. “What’s happening?”

“He sustained a great deal of injury during his crash, we’re doing everything we can Alf.”

“He’s flat lining! We need to get him stable.” One of the paramedics called as they kept up with the rest of the crew trying to keep Duncan alive.

Sid pulled the nurses attention towards him. He directed the crew to an operating room. Nurse Julie was already preparing. “He’s bleeding out as well.”

“Then we find a way to stop the bleeding.” Sid said.

Outside in the hospital waiting area, Martha watched her granddad and mother beside each other holding a vigil for Duncan.

Jack, dressed in police uniform approached Martha and nudged her shoulder, sending her out of her daydreams. “Hey stranger. Why are you standing over here? They need you.”

“I don’t think they need me right now.” Martha began. “Maybe a miracle to save my uncle’s life. But me? That’s just a whole other mess.”

“Sorry I haven’t been in touch, work got a little hectic.”

“That’s an understatement. It’s ok, I’ve been busy too.”

“Right. So are you still wanting to meet?” Jack asked.

Martha shook her head. “Sorry Jack, I don’t think now’s a good time.”

“Ah ok.”

“What are you doing here anyway?”

“I was called out to the site. If Duncan pulls through he’s still expected to be interviewed by an officer. I’ve been out there half the night playing traffic warden while part of the highway was closed off.”

Hall Residence

The black Honda Civic pulled up outside Adrian’s house. She unbuckled her seatbelt. There were only two of them now as they’d dropped Xavier home.

“Thanks.” She muttered, opening the car door.

“No problem. I really thought Xave was going to chuck up back there.” Dexter said looking over at the giant wet patch on her blouse. “Sorry about that. I really hope it comes out.”

“Yeah me too.” Adrian paused, her hand rested on the open door. “Do you have a sweater or something I could borrow?”

Dexter turned to the back-seat as much as he could, while the seatbelt restrained him.

“You could unbuckle it.” Adrian said annoyed.

He stopped and looked at her as if it were some revolutionary idea, unbuckling his seatbelt he handed her a jumper. “Are you ok to get inside?”

“Pretty much.” Just as she reached inside her pocket a thought struck her with dread. “Drat, I don’t have my key.”

“Are your parents home? If so then just knock.”

“I don’t want them to pay that much attention to me. See they think I was at the cinema. They’re gonna ask all kinds of questions.” She thought for a moment. “I know. I’ll just climb through the window.”

“What?”

“The window to my room, I’ll just climb through that. They’ll be none the wiser. Come to the side of the house and help me.”

“How’s Duncan?” Roo asked Sid.

“I did everything I could possibly do for Duncan right now, but he’s stable.” Sid confirmed, looking down at his charts.

Alf and Roo breathed sighs of relief.

“He’s going to need to need a lot of bed rest and we need to keep him in for monitoring. We won’t know if the surgery was a complete success until all the test results come back.”

“Can we see him?” Alf asked.

“I’d rather not allow that at this stage I’m afraid.” Sid replied. “I’d rather not have anybody disturbing him at the moment.”

Alf looked conflicted. “But you said he was alright. Why can’t we at least check on him?”

“Dad.” Roo put a hand round Alf’s shoulder and ushered him to a chair. “Let’s leave the doctors to do their job. I’m sure we’ll see Duncan soon, he’s in good hands. For now let’s stick together and wait for Morag to fly in.”

“Fine.” Alf grumbled.

Hall Residence

A few minutes later Adrian and Dexter were outside her bedroom window.

“Just get on your hands and knees.” Adrian spoke, her voice quiet. “I need to climb on you to reach.”

Dexter lowered himself to the dirt, Adrian lifted a leg to raise herself onto his back.

“Aren’t you going to take those off?” Dexter asked, referring to her footwear. “I’d really like to leave here without my heart punctured.”

She took off her heels, stepping up onto his back and reaching up to the ledge. She was relieved to find it unlocked. Her fingers moved to the edges of the screen and began to pull it up when she froze, the light in her parent’s room flicked on.

Thanks Jarlie and Pembie.

This marks the halfway point for TAF. Hope you guys enjoy the next part.

Chapter 12 - Part 2

Hall Residence

Adrian noticed movement in her parent's room, while she gripped onto the outer frame of the window to steady herself.

"Is something the matter?" Dexter asked from his perch down in the dirt.

"My parents are up." She whispered as she fumbled several times before one side of the screen opened. "That will have to do. Give me a push." She could feel Dexter's weight shift uncertainly beneath her.

"How? I'm on my hands and knees." He said.

She resisted the urge to snap at him, and instead she got a hold on the window frame, as she was about to hoist herself up the light inside the room turned on. Her head halfway underneath the screen's free side when all of a sudden someone pulled back the curtains.

"Jeez Adrian. What are you doing? I thought someone was breaking in." Mr Hall exclaimed.

"Well, she is, kinda." Dexter said from below.

"Who's that?" Mr Hall asked.

Adrian continued to pull herself inside. "No one."

"Sounded like someone to me. You can use the front door like a normal person."

Adrian saw her father reattach the screen. She had no choice but to step down off Dexter's back. As he scrambled to his feet he smiled up at the window. "I'm Dexter. I'm one of Adrian's friends."

"I thought you were at the cinema." Mr Hall said through the screen.

Adrian could smack Dexter for talking too much. She quickly put her brain to work and began to tell the quickest story that came to mind. "I was. I ran into Dexter there that's all. He offered to give me a ride home so here we are."

"Yeah." Dexter said. "I went to see The Hunger Games."

Adrian threw him a sideways glance. "But it was sold out, so he went to see The Smurfs instead for the second time." She did her best not to laugh.

Mr Hall was too busy watching Adrian's every movement to notice Dexter's discomfort. "Why were you breaking in through the window?"

"Forgot my key. I didn't want to wake the whole house just because of that."

"Come round the front." The man said stepping back from the window. "This is not a door."

"Well that housekeeper Marilyn did it." Adrian replied.

"Don't ever think of anything that woman does as normal."

Adrian started to move around the side of the house. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Dexter stood dumbly, like he was waiting by her bedroom window for something.

"Thanks for the ride." She called to him. "I'll give you the sweater at school."

"No problem." He replied as he started to brush the dirt from his hands and knees.

Pier Diner

"I'm really scared for him apparently he's in a bad way." Colleen commented.

"I'm sure the doctors are doing the best they can." Irene said.

"Yes. It's just I haven't heard anything. You'd think with me being one of the family that they'd at least let me know how things are going."

Martha walked into the diner and strode over to the counter. "Morning guys."

"Oh Martha." Colleen began. "How is Duncan?"

"He's stable, that's all we know at the moment."

"That's great news Darl."

"The only things is they won't let us see him yet."

"Oh why not?" Irene asked.

Martha shrugged. "I don't know, but Granddad isn't too happy about it."

"I bet."

"How's my little monster?" Vinnie asked VJ, lollipop in hand.

"I'm not a monster!" VJ proclaimed, eliciting laugher from the adults working in the diner. He looked up at the lollipop with wide eyes. "A lolly?"

"Yeah, let me help you." Vinnie unwrapped the ice lolly.

"Watch him carefully while he eats it." Leah told Vinnie.

"Course I will babe." He noticed she was in a mood. "You're not still worrying about that test from the other day are ya?"

"Yes I am." Leah turned to see VJ, who was now dipping the wooden stick, that the iced lolly had stuck, in a glass of half-finished strawberry milkshake. "I told you to watch him Vinnie."

Summer Bay Beach

Matthew walked down the beach, Nicole beside him. Dexter, Xavier and April were a few feet ahead as they approached the Surf Club.

"Paint me blue and call me a smurf." Dexter said.

"Oh come on. It does sound pretty hilarious." Nicole laughed.

As the others entered the Surf Club, Matthew paused outside the entrance. "Look." He began to Nicole. "I think..." As much as he wanted to get this over with, he had no idea how to say it without sounding a complete jerk.

Nicole waited. "What?"

"I think maybe we should..."

"Matt!" Dexter rocketed out of the doorway. "Guess who's here?"

"Can it wait two minutes."

An instant later Annie appeared behind Dexter. "Hey."

"Hey." Matthew yanked his hand away from Nicole's.

"I told Annie to meet us here." Dexter said, beaming with pride.

Matthew smiled at Annie, and out of the corner of his eye caught Nicole glaring at him. "Cool."

"I didn't know you and Nic were friends." Annie said.

"Yeah we're friends, we met last night." He saw Nicole bristle at the word friends.

"Well, I wouldn't say we're just friends Matt."

Annie's face turned a shade paler. "I actually need to get going. I promised Irene I'm help her at the diner." she moved past them and away from the Surf Club.

Matthew wanted to chase after her, but with Nicole at his side, it felt like some force holding him back.

Summer Bay House

Annie noticed Matthew on the couch and walked into the house. "I came to give you your money back."

Matthew gave her a weird look getting up from his seat. "What? Why?"

"Because I don't want anything from you."

"Wait. I didn't want you to find out that way. If I'd have known Dex was meeting you."

"Would that really have changed anything"? Annie glared at him.

"I'll tell her I'm not interested."

Annie shook her head. "No. You do whatever you want. I don't care, it's not like we're together or anything. One thing before I go. Don't ever tell me you like me, ok?" She maintained a straight-ahead focus, syllables snapping out of her mouth.

"I never told you I liked you, get that right." Matthew said, arguing back.

"Then what was all that down at the lake? Whatever, I'm done with this." Annie turned to leave.

"For the record it was just a bit of fun." Matthew told her. "It was mostly Nicole doing the work, if you wanna get technical about it."

Annie turned to face him, giving him a distasteful look. "I don't, but thanks for clearing that up."

"I'm sorry Annie."

"So am I. I thought something good was gonna happen from the other night, but I was pretty stupid wasn't I?" Annie headed toward the front door.

Martha, who had been in the utility room stepped out. "He's not really like that you know."

However Annie chose to ignore Martha's words and walked straight out.

Here's the next update. Enjoy. :)

Chapter 13 – Part 1

Summer Bay House

Miles sliced a poppy seed bagel in half and popped it into the toaster.

“We’re just crossing our fingers for him. Hope he’s not going to carry on riding motorbikes after this.” Roo said to Miles, while she made herself a cup of tea.

“That was Sid on the phone. Duncan’s awake and asking for me.” Alf said walking in from outside the back door.

“That’s good news.” Miles sprung to his feet at the sound of the bagel popping out of the toaster.

Roo took a sip of her tea. “I’m heading over to Martha’s soon. Let Duncan know I’ll see him this afternoon.”

“Sure love. Right I better be off. See you lot later.”

“Bye.” Miles and Roo replied in near-unison.

Miles took a bite out of his toasted bagel. “These are so good.”

“Maybe you should get them every morning.” Roo said.

Miles shook his head with mock disapproval. “I think my dietician would have something to say about that.”

There was a loud knock at the front door. Miles popped his head round the corner. “Xavier. Come in.”

“Hey.” He said, perusing the bagel selection.

“Matthew get a wriggle on, Xavier’s here.” Roo shouted up the stairs.

“Bagel?” Miles offered Xavier.

“I’m ok thanks.”

Matthew walked into the living room, school bag in hand.

“Now remember you’re coming to the hospital with me this afternoon.” Roo told him.

“Yeah fine.” Matthew pulled the bag straps over his shoulders.

“Is everything alright?” Roo asked.

“Yeah, everything’s awesome.” Matthew muttered.

“I’ll wait outside.” Xavier said before leaving them together.

“Martha told me you’re having girl problems, with Annie.”

Matthew groaned.

Roo pressed on. “I’m not going to lecture you. I don’t really know what’s going on, and as long as you’re being safe. What you do is your business.”

“It’s not about that. I really screwed up.”

“What happened?”

“She brushed me off, said it didn’t matter to her because we’re not an item.”

“Is that what you’d prefer you two were?”

“Yeah. I mean I like her. I thought we had fun.”

“If you feel this way about Annie. Why did you allow what happened with Nicole?” Her gaze steady on Matthew.

“I’m sixteen. She’s a girl.”

“You could always wait till Annie’s ready to talk and make things right.”

“It can’t make things any worse, can it?” He almost seemed to perk up but soon became deflated. “It doesn’t matter anyway. I’ve ruined any chance I had now.”

Summer Bay High

Matthew, Xavier and Dexter crossed the school grounds when a familiar voice called out to them.

“Hey.” Adrian came bounding at them, waving a black sweatshirt. “I had this in my locker.”

Dexter took it from her. “Thanks.”

Matthew and Xavier observed the exchange curiously.

“He lent it to me when he dropped me off after the party, to cover up the drink he spilt all over my top.” Adrian explained, as if she was afraid of what thoughts might be going through their heads.

Dexter made an exaggerated show of rolling his eyes. “He also helped you break into your room through your bedroom window.”

“Actually I didn’t get to break in because my dad woke up and found us.” Adrian added.

“Why were you breaking into your own room?” Xavier interjected.

“Because I forgot my key, anyway I have to go hand in my assignment to Mrs Bingham, let’s hope she likes my country. Bye guys.” She tossed Dexter a sideways glance and took off, dashing beneath the building’s overhang to avoid the rain.

“What was that?” Xavier asked.

“What was what?”

“Get in there.” Matthew said.

“I’m not getting in anywhere.”

Xavier examined the dopey expression that lingered on his friend’s face. “I know that look. You like her don’t you?”

Dexter shrugged. “I guess.”

“I knew it.”

“You’re a little turned on.” Matthew hinted.

“I am not. I thought she’d never speak to me after that night. She’s been acting really weird since then.”

“Maybe she’s still embarrassed by the whole thing.” Xavier said.

“Maybe.” Dexter sounded unconvinced as they continued toward the school’s entrance.

Martha’s Farm

Martha and Roo sat eating sandwiches out in a field.

“Did I make more work for you back there or did I actually help?” Roo asked, picking up a sandwich.

“You did your best, and that’s all you can do.” Martha smiled.

“You’re fibbing. I fail miserably as a farm hand.”

“But you did make these delicious sandwiches.” Martha said taking a bite.

“You seem to be dealing better with everything lately. Has it anything to do with the pregnancy?”

“It helps keep my mind occupied, reading up on every detail in the mother and baby magazines.” Martha put a hand on her stomach. “I never for one second thought I’d lose Hugo, but then again I never thought I’d be having a baby on my own either.”

“You’ll get by, many people do.”

“Maybe. It’s a good thing I don’t believe in zodiac signs or something, because right now I’d think I was a jinx.”

“You don’t want to start thinking like that though.”

“No. Maybe I could distract myself with quantum theory, and imagine that somewhere in a tiny worm hole; Hugo is still alive.” Martha realised she had gone off at a tangent. “I’m going to stop talking now.”

Beach House

“Hey Ruby.” Matthew said entering threw the back door, sticking his hands in his pockets to add a casual air to the whole situation. “Look I wasn’t having a go at you the other morning on the beach. I was just trying to help.”

Ruby looked up from her text book. “I apologise if I got you wrong, but hanging around the River Boys will give people the wrong impression about you.”

“I know.”

“Ok so I’ve been a bit out of the loop lately, but I know the 411 on you and Annie.”

“She isn’t here is she?”

Ruby gave a slight smile. “Don’t worry. It’s safe to come in. Annie’s at the library with Mel.”

Matthew moved through the house and noticed text books sewn over the dining table. “I didn’t mean to interrupt your study.”

“Oh no, it’s fine.” Ruby said. “So you’re here to get me to help you?”

He took a seat on one of the stools at the breakfast bar. “Yeah.”

“Ok so Annie thought you liked her, but then it looked like you were with Nicole. What happened after? Cos from what I can tell she just got upset and needed some alone time.”

“She just said it didn’t matter because we’re not together or anything.”

“Right well, what I say now has a warning sticker on it.” Ruby moved a strand of hair out of her eyes. “Maybe you should back off for a little while and talk to her when she’s ready. I can’t believe you were hanging out with Nicole, she’s enough to depress anyone.”

Matthew looked at her curiously. “How come?”

“She has one big past, like ridiculous drama, relationships and all.”

“Tell me about it.”

“Ok, well. Melody’s mum came home from work one day, and this man, who she’d been having an affair with shot her. So Melody’s dad started romancing Nicole’s mum. They got married and Melody and Nicole became step-sisters. They became instant rivals, both strove to be at the top and impress their parents. Nicole was favourite. Melody was excluded, she felt like an outcast in her own family.”

“What about now?”

“She’s still at it, killing everyone’s self-esteem and status if they get in her way. Who knows what she’ll do next.”

Thanks for the feedback guys. Thought I'd post this update early today because I will be out later. Hope you all like it.

Chapter 13 – Part 2

Surf Club

“She’s into French music, but she also likes the same music as me. Last night I phoned her and we realised we were listening to the new Short Stack album.” Xavier blabbed.

“Go figure.” Matthew had been listening to Xavier’s excruciatingly detailed descriptions of his every moment with April for the entirety of their lunch break, from the lockers and now to the Surf Club.

“And she’s really passionate about the environment.”

“Good for her.”

Xavier seemed to notice Matthew’s lack of enthusiasm. “I was just saying. Why do you have to be such a downer?”

“I’m not being a downer. You just never shut up about this chick.”

“I’m just really, you know into her.”

“Oh I noticed you’re a lot less depressed than you were. It’s funny though.”

“That I’m into April?”

“Well yeah, but how much your mood has changed since meeting her at the party. All it took was a bunch of calls and hanging out. I thought you were mad at the world and now it’s all fine.”

“It’s not fine. I don’t know. I just got sick of being miserable about the whole thing with Ruby.”

“Speaking of her, I saw her earlier.”

“Oh yeah. How is she?”

“I don’t know but she seemed ok.”

They noticed Martha enter the Surf Club.

“Hey Martha.” Matthew said, waving her over to their table.

“Mind if I sit with you guys?” She asked.

“Sure.” Xavier said with a big grin on his face. “The more the merrier.”

“What’s gotten into you?” Martha seated herself in-between them.

Before Xavier could answer Matthew interjected. “He’s just really obsessed with a girl.”

Martha smiled awkwardly. “That’s nice.”

“Sure it is.” Matthew began. “Now spill the reason why you look paler than a True Blood vampire.”

“I just ate something that didn’t agree with me.” She lied.

“Ok, well me and Xave are gonna get drinks. Do you want one?”

Martha shook her head. “I don’t feel like anything right now. I’ll see you at the hospital.”

“Ok.” Matthew and Xavier headed toward the counter.

“I feel bad for her.” Xavier said.

“Yeah.” Matthew’s train of thought was cut short by someone behind the counter, rooting around in the cupboard. “Hey! What do think you’re doing? You don’t work here.”

Brett lifted himself up off the floor. “Ah.” He realised the kid had no idea who he was. Brett had seen the teenager on the odd occasion around the town with Alf and Roo. “Um, I don’t think we’ve officially met. I’m your mother’s ex, Martha’s father, Brett Macklin.”

Matthew stared at him for a moment. “How about you get lost? My mum told me all about you people. I don’t want anything to do with a Macklin, and neither does Martha, so stay away from her.”

Summer Bay High

“Man, he just makes me smile.” Dexter said, looking down at a doodle he’d drawn. “You rule smiley face dude. I would totally marry him if I were a smiley face dudette.”

“Stop talking Dex, ok?” Adrian spoke. She noticed a comic book on top of his bag. “You should really start giving the comic books a miss too.”

“Hey. I’ll have you know that 9th Wonders is awesome.” Dexter replied. “We already settled this last term, remember?”

“Yeah, but the author is a heroin addict.”

“That doesn’t affect the writing. Look, I know I embarrassed you the other night, but you don’t have to carry on this weirdness with me about it.”

“It’s not that.”

“Then what?”

“Can I have a bit of shush in my class?” Miles said over the students. “Thank you.”

Adrian waited until Miles had gone back to marking assignments and tried to keep her voice to a whisper. “I’m moving to Queensland. “

Dexter looked shocked. “What?”

“It’s to be closer to my Nan. She’s really ill and needs looking after. My parents really don’t want anyone putting her in a home or anything.”

“That’s sucks.”

“I’m sorry Dex. I was gonna tell you.”

“I feel like I just found you and now you’re leaving.”

“There’s always email and Skype.” Adrian said. “I’m gonna miss not having my zany friend around.”

“Me too.”

They both shared a moment as they held each other’s gaze, but there was nothing like the familiar voice to bring them back to reality. “Oi. Adrian Hall and Dexter Walker. No more yacking or you’ll both be on detention.”

Austin’s House

Gina observed her son while she prepared the evening meal. Schoolbooks littered the dining table as Xavier did his homework, and every now and then he looked up from his studying to read and respond to text messages on his mobile. During one of these brief moments, Gina decided to be brave and break the silence.

“Who are you texting?”

Xavier’s eyes widened. “Mum.”

“It’s that girl April, isn’t it?” She couldn’t help but smile.

“Like you couldn’t have guessed that.”

“I didn’t want to be presumptuous. I take it things are going well with you two then?” She detected the faintest glow of a blush on Xavier’s face.

“Yeah, really good.”

“I’m glad Xave, it’s really great that you’ve met a sweet girl. How about one night this week you could invite her over for dinner?”

“Yeah maybe.” Xavier gave a slight smile. “There’s a Christian concert tomorrow night. I was thinking about taking her along. If I’m allowed to go, that is.”

“I didn’t think you were into the whole ‘Let’s love Jesus’ kind of music. Besides I haven’t forgotten about your lifetime grounding.”

“I’m not, but it’s Annie’s church that’s organising it and Liam Murphy’s going to be there.”

“Really?” Gina thought for a moment. “Yes you can go, but I want you back by ten. Don’t make me regret this Xavier.”

“You won’t. Thanks mum.” Xavier started to clear away his books.

“You’re welcome.”

The hospital room was so cold and void of comfort, the sound of the machines hooked up to Duncan and the commotion going on in the corridors kept Matthew’s mind from straying. He had even managed to forget the argument he’d had with Annie.

“Matthew.” Duncan spoke from the confinement of his hospital bed.

Matthew watched as his uncle’s eyes opened. “Are you ok?”

“You don’t like me remember?”

“Well when in public faking to like you has its place.”

“You don’t have to fake it forever. I mean things change.” Duncan paused. “People change.”

“You’ll never change.”

“I know you and I will probably never see eye to eye on certain things. But there is one thing we have in common, that girl back in New York hates us both, with a passion.” An amused smile spread across Duncan’s face.

“Yeah, only cos I stuck up for you, big mistake that was. I should have known you were lying.”

“You shouldn’t feel bad for sticking up for me. Blood is thicker than water after all.”

Matthew rose from his seat and forced his hand round Duncan’s throat.

“Calm down mate.” Duncan tried to speak. “I’m not asking you to embrace me with open arms or anything.”

“You’re dead to me. You got that?”

Thanks the comments Jarlie and Pembie.

@Pembie - You'll have to wait and see if Adrian sticks around. But I think you'll like the end result though. As for Liam, yes, he will be at the concert. Keep your eyes peeled for a blossoming romance between him and one, possibly lucky character. :)

I can't wait for you guys to get to the end of this story. There's so much going to happen in a short space of time. In the meantime I hope you enjoy this update. Happy reading. :)

Chapter 14 – Part 1

Angelo’s

“Table for four.” Alf said, as the waitress brought him and Miles over to a table near the balcony.

She presented them with menus. “Everything is on the special list tonight. Have a look and I’ll be back in a few minutes.”

“Well this is a bit swarve. I could get used to this.” Miles said.

“It’s just a celebration to Duncan’s recovery. We’ll be back to the barbie’s tomorrow.”

Miles gave a half laugh.

Roo arrived at the restaurant with Matthew. “Martha’s chaperoning some of the kids to a fundraiser concert, so it’s just us.”

“You not going mate?” Alf asked Matthew.

“Listening to the Lord is my Shepard isn’t really my scene.”

“Rightyo.”

Their comfortable cocoon was disrupted by the attendance of Brett and Stacey.

“Nice evening for it.” Brett said, approaching their table.

“You better not be making trouble again.” Roo replied.

“Wouldn’t dream of it Roo.”

“Brett, leave us to eat in peace. You’re not welcome at our table.”

“Hear me out Roo.”

“Forget it Brett. You harassed me so much. I had to change my number and don’t even think I forgot about what happened in New York. I practically had to enter the Witness Protection Program just to get rid of you.”

Alf and Miles exchanged dumbfounded looks.

“You are being overdramatic, don’t you think?”

“Why don’t you just leave?” Miles said, casting a momentarily uncertain look over Brett.

“Ah, I don’t believe we’re acquainted.”

“I know quite a bit about you or at least what you did to Roo.”

Stacey took hold of Brett’s arms. “Don’t listen Brett, come on.”

“Now you’ve gone up a notch in exploitation.” Miles continued.

“I’ll be sending you a copy of the new look Summer Bay, you deserve to see it first.”

Roo rolled her eyes. “Aren’t you ever going to grow some sympathy in your garden of greed?”

“I guess not.” Brett smirked.

Walker Residence

“And the purpose of watching that was?” Dexter asked as he lay on the couch, a bowl of popcorn nearby.

“To make you feel better about Adrian.” Sid replied.

“Independence Day? Dad, come on.”

“Well, it’s to show you that things could be worse.”

“You do realise that aliens haven’t invaded earth yet.”

“I’m quite aware of that Dex.”

There was a knock at the door. Dexter sprang to his feet. “And that Will Smith would probably save his own skin instead of going all terminator to save humanity.”

Dexter opened the door to Xavier. “Hey Xave. What brings you here?”

“Just wondered if you fancied going to a concert. Martha’s waiting in the car with April and Annie.”

“I don’t really feel like partying Xave.”

“Come on, it’ll be fun, besides it’ll help you get Adrian off your mind for a while.” Xavier said.

“I think that’s sounds like a great idea.” Sid chimed in from behind Dexter.

Angelo’s

While his family sat eating the last mouthfuls of pudding, Matthew had gone up to the bar to hand over the money he’d been given for their meals. He noticed Nicole beside him, while she waited for her order of Pizza.

“Hey Nic. We need to talk.”

“I figured since you hadn’t returned any of my texts. I’m not one of those typical dumb blondes Matt. You can just tell you don’t want me. So you’re with Annie now?”

“How do you work that out?” He asked.

“It’s Summer Bay, word travels fast, people know your every move and Colleen eavesdrops on your every word.”

“I just don’t think we’re right for each other. I like Annie. I’m sorry.”

“What the hell? No offense, but I don’t really like Annie, she’s a bit plain. She tries to fit in, like on Myspace one time one of her photos was so try hard. I didn’t like that sticky note on her head. She looked like a ditzy prep. She’s so fidged, she’d probably scream if you touched her. But don’t let me bring you down if you wanna be with her.”

Here's the next update.

Chapter 14 – Part 2

Christian Concert

The concert hall was abuzz with activity. The spotlight from overhead settled over crowd as they sang along to a song being sung by Liam Murphy while he strummed on his guitar.

If you want me I’ll be there,

To run my fingers through your hair,

If you need me it’s alright,

Come over and see me tonight.

In the middle section of the crowd, in front of April and Xavier, a couple of girls jumped and sang with the lyrics.

Live your life be free,

Live your life be free,

Open up your mind and you’ll see,

You should be with me.

The bass and sound from the speakers attached to the amp thumped through the crowd as if it were their own hearts beating to the music. The night was gradually drawing it a close and Liam quickly began to change key and sing a goodbye to everyone.

Now it’s time to say goodbye,

I guess I have to fly,

So I bid you all farewell,

Hope you go buy my album that’s on sale,

I will remember this lovely place of sea and sand,

At Summer Bay land,

Summer, Summer, Summer Bay land.

A massive round of applause greeted his ears and he took a bow before he left the stage.

“Wow. I don’t think it would have been possible to have this much fun at home.” Dexter said. “I don’t even know how I made it through the concert and not once think of Adrian. Right, I gotta go pee now.”

“You don’t look like you could walk alone.” April said.

“Want me to go with you?” Xavier asked

“No, I’m a big boy. I can pee on my own.” Dexter ran toward the WC sign in the distance.

Annie looked down at her phone and frowned.

“What’s up?” Xavier asked her.

“It’s Matt. He’s asked me to meet him tomorrow. He wants to show me something.” She sighed.

“Don’t worry Annie.” April began. “Remember he’s a jerk and one day he will spontaneously combust.”

“Thanks April, but I guess I’ll go and hear him out at least.”

Martha managed to file through the crowd and found them at the entrance. “Ready to get going guys?”

“Yeah.” Xavier said. “We’re just waiting for Dex.”

They saw Liam walking towards them, his entourage in tow. “Thanks for coming to see me perform.”

Martha smiled at him. “You were great, best live performance I think I’ve seen in a while.”

“Well, if you liked it that much, maybe I could arrange for a private show.”

Martha blushed. “I might have to think about that.”

Liam handed her a card. “Details are there when you’ve thought it through. Bye guys.” He stepped out into the open air, and began to get into a limousine parked nearby.

Dexter dashed over to his friends. “Thank goodness you’re all still here.”

“What took you so long?” Xavier asked.

“Yeah, Martha’s been waiting to take us home.” Annie chimed in.

“I had a full on date with a toilet. If you know what I mean.” Dexter beamed.

“Spare us the details Dex. Come on.” Martha led the way out of the concert hall to her waiting vehicle.

Martha’s Farm

Martha unlocked the door to the farm house and made her way inside. The hallway was covered in darkness; she felt an uneasy feeling in the bottom of her stomach as she searched for the light switch. She turned it on and immediately her hands shot up to her mouth, letting out a small gasp as she saw the bomb site her living room and kitchen had become. It looked like someone had been inside.

Martha quickly took hold of her mobile and began to call the only person she could think of.

Thanks guys. :) Things are starting to get a little creepy in Summer Bay.

Chapter 15 – Part 1

Patterson Residence

Charlie and Brax turned on the lights. The engine from the taxi outside had sputtered into life and had begun to set off.

Charlie noticed Ruby step through the doorway. “Ruby, hey.”

“Hi.” Ruby felt awkward. “I’m not sure how to do this. I just came by because I’m beginning to get my head round everything, but I still need time.”

“Are you able to stay for a little while?” Charlie asked.

“I guess so.” Ruby gave a slight smile. “You’ve been away longer than you said you were gonna be.”

Charlie looked at Brax, who had put his suitcase down. “We enjoyed Byron Bay so decided to extend our stay.”

Brax’s phone beeped. He looked at the screen, another missed call. “Charlie, I’ve gotta head out.”

“But we’re only just got back.”

“I’ll make it up to you. I’ve just gotta take care of some business.” Brax kissed her cheek and dashed off into the night.

Martha’s Farm

Brax rushed to Martha’s home. He searched the place and found her in the kitchen.

“There’s still a few things I need to clean up.” Martha told him. “But nothing seems to be missing. I don’t understand why someone would make all this mess and not take anything.”

Brax looked at her. “Are you alright? When you told me somebody had broken into the farm. So many things went running through my mind.”

“Just a little shaken.” Martha bend down, and began to sweep up a lamp that had been knocked over.

“You need to sit down. Let me sweep it for ya.” Brax insisted.

“I’m pregnant, not sick.” Something caught Martha’s eye. She walked over to the fire halve and moved a shattered picture of her and Hugo from the mantelpiece.

“What’s that?” Brax asked.

In her hands she held a note, handwritten and penned personally. It read: ‘Tick tock. I know who the father of your baby is,’ and signed S.

“Who’s S? And why are they targeting me?”

Brax shrugged. “I don’t know.”

“What shall we do now?”

Brax slowly backed away. “I need to come up with a plan.”

Patterson Residence

“It just feels weird. I almost forgot I lived here.” Ruby said, helping Charlie remove things from her suitcase. “And it’s really quiet.”

“Maybe that’s because VJ isn’t running around, yelling at the top of his lungs, for now.”

Ruby laughed a little as she hung a light, summery top in Charlie’s wardrobe. “Is everything ok with you and Brax? You just seemed really tense when he took off earlier.”

“I’m sure it’s nothing.” Charlie handed Ruby another top. “So how are you and Xavier going?”

“We broke up, in actual fact I broke up with him.”

“What? Why?”

“Turns out that he knew all along about you being my mother. He said he found out about it from a letter you wrote sixteen years ago.”

Charlie thought back to the time she’d been reading the letter and Xavier had come by to collect his Ipod.

“There’s something I wanted to talk to you about.” Ruby said, bringing Charlie out of her thoughts. “You know how I’ve always thought Ross was my dad. Well, I want to meet my real dad, my bio one. I think I’m ready or as ready as I’ll ever be.”

“Ruby, I don’t think you should. It’s really a big can of worms to open.”

“Why?”

“A lot of reasons that I don’t want to go into. It’s just a part of my life I would rather forget.”

Ruby sighed. “Ok well, you could at least tell me his name.”

“Grant Bledcoe.”

Ruby turned the name over in her mouth like a new food she wasn’t quite sure of.

Yabbie Creek Police Station

Brax walked into the police station, a place he was used to visting, especially because of Heath. Keeping pace with the busy officers walking around.

“Bit early in the evening for crime in the Bay. Can I help you?” Georgie Watson asked from the front desk.

“Is Jack Holden about?”

Watson motioned toward the open door behind Brax.

“Darryl Braxton.” Jack greeted him. “What can I do for you? I hope there hasn’t been any problems at that club of yours or Angelo’s.”

“Nah, they’re both fine. This has to do with Martha.”

Jack nodded. “I was one of the officers sent over to check out the damages. Why do you have an interest in the Mackenzie case?”

“She used to dance at the club. I actually have some information that might help you with your enquiry. See I have a lead on the person who broke into Martha’s place.”

“Who would that be?”

Brax placed the note into Jack’s hands and began to whisper into his ear. “A woman named…..”

Thanks Jarlie and Pembie.

I had to write some of this tonight as to fill in the missing links here and there. The ‘Who is S?’ will play out a little longer before you guys know, but it won’t be too long. Until then the plot thickens.

Chapter 15 – Part 2

Austin’s House

Jack arrived at his aunt Gina’s. He stepped into the kitchen; the smell of homemade Casserole filled his nostrils. Gina turned round, a welcome smile upon her face. Ten minutes later the family were sat around the table.

“How was work Jack?” Gina asked.

“It was interesting to say the least.”

“Then say more.”

“Somebody broke into Martha’s farm house. I thought it was a random robbery at first.” Jack grabbed a spoon.

“But?” John pressed .

“Darryl Braxton came forward with a possible suspect.”

John furrowed his brow in confusion. “That is strange. Why would he be involved? I didn’t think he knew Martha that well.”

Jack finished a mouthful of chopped lamb and vegetables. “He seems to have a unique relationship with her.”

“Looks like we’re going to be playing detective tonight then.” Gina said.

Jack and John looked at her amused, as they continued their conversation, in hope to make something stick.

Pier Diner

April adjusted the scarf around her neck. “So do you want a muffin or a bakewell, or do want to go to Angelo’s for something more substantial, like pizza?”

“Whatever, I don’t mind. I just need to eat something, I’m starving.” Xavier replied.

“I guess that’s code for ‘I’m going to get really grumpy if I don’t eat a meal.” She smiled up at him. “I say let’s just go with the pizza.”

Xavier reached down and clasped her hand. “A meal together, this is starting to sound romantic.” As he led the way toward the door Ruby entered. “Hey Rubes.”

“Hi.” Ruby looked at them both. “Did you just come back from the concert?”

Xavier nodded. “Yeah. It was great, you shoulda been there.”

“Well, I still kinda have other things going on.”

“I know. How’s it all going for you? I heard you asked Aden Jefferies out the same week we broke up.” He realised he shouldn’t have brought that up, judging by the scowl on Ruby’s face. “Not that it’s relevant or anything anymore.”

Ruby’s defences shot up. “Well you seem to have moved on quickly, and for the record I’m not with Aden, not that my love life has anything to do with you. Goodbye Xavier.” She dashed out of the diner toward the beach house.

Beach House

Matthew knocked on the door for the second time.

“Will somebody blinking well get that?” Irene shouted from the bathroom.

Annie hurried downstairs and opened the door, annoyed at the person who stood there. “Yes?”

Matthew placed his hands in his pockets. “So are we meeting tomorrow or what?”

“Oh. I completely forgot to text you back. Sorry.”

“It’s cool. Just thought I’d drop by and check. I’ve got permission to use one of Granddad’s rowing boats and I didn’t want the opportunity going to waste.”

“No.” Annie eyed him intently. “Well, goodnight.”

“Night.”

She closed the door on him, and turned round to see Irene, stood in a dressing gown, smiling at her. “Looks like we might have to have the talk sooner than what I was expecting.”

“Come on Irene. We were just talking.”

“Yeah, and talking leads to something else.” She replied matter of factly.

“Well I’ve made up my mind. I’m gonna see him tomorrow.” Annie headed for the stairs.

Irene sighed. “I’m sorry love, if it feels like I’m having a go, I know you’ve been sensible up till now, but I know boys. I just want to protect you. I see you as my own little girl.”

Annie stopped at the foot of the stairs. “I always will be Irene. But I need to make my own choices. Let me make my own decisions.”

Just then Ruby stormed in from the back door. “I can’t believe Xavier.”

“What’s the matter darl? You guys had a blue?”

“We were in the diner and he’s asking me about asking Aden out, but the whole time he’s stood there with little miss eco-friendly, April.” Ruby didn’t miss the chance to leave the room before Irene could ask another question. Once her bedroom door was closed Ruby collapsed against it. Tears burned at the back of her eyes, but not a single drop fell.

Martha’s Farm

The farm was almost quiet as the last of the police officers left the premises, while a woman who was balanced between two tree branches watched. She had taken great care to ensure that they did not see her, despite the fact that she had functioned as Martha’s and Brax’s shadow for much of the past week.

“We’ll just be outside Miss Mackzenie. If you need anything just let us know.” The police constable said.

“Thanks.” Martha turned to Brax. “I want you to stay with me.”

“Don’t worry, I’m not going anywhere.”

They now had their backs turned, so the woman who hid above in the tree climbed across the branches to get a better range on what was being said.

“What you gonna tell Charlie?”

Brax shrugged. “Don’t know, maybe that I had to work back late. Listen, the dog who wrecked your place will get caught, and when they do the cops will lock em up. You won’t have to worry about stalkers ever again.”

Martha pulled her fleece over her shoulders. “I hope so.”

“Now how about you show me that scan video.” Brax led the way back into the house.

The woman breathed hard, her heartbeat wild as she counted to fifty and waited for them to be comfortably inside the house before she wasted no time to retreat from the property.

The mystery continues... :)

Chapter 16 – Part 1

Martha’s Farm

The first streaks of dawn were still an hour away, but Martha had awoken to find Brax sitting on a nearby chair in the dark. She could see the soft light from the hall peeking through the gap of the door, drawing a soft silhouette in the room.

Brax opened his eyes, his head still against a cushion. “Couldn’t ya sleep?”

Martha looked at him. “Not really. I’m surprised you can sleep so soundly with a mad woman on the loose.”

“Everything’s fine. I’m here.” Brax soothed.

“Don’t you think it’s strange?”

“What dya mean?”

“Well, how she knows things about me. How she knows where I live. That she knows I was with you. It doesn’t really add up.”

“Things about stalkers aren’t supposed to add up, are they?” Brax rubbed his eyes. “I mean. They just target people cos they’ve got nothing going on in their lives. Don’t worry though, the cops will sort it.”

“Well it doesn’t make me feel any better.” Martha thought for a minute. “Unless…there’s something you’re not telling me.”

“Like what?” Brax eyed her warily.

“Like maybe you know this person.”

Brax stood up completely taken aback. “You’re accusing me of bringing this stalker to you? Well that’s just great, isn’t it? I come here to make sure you’re safe and you automatically think the worst of me.”

“Well I can’t think of anything else that would make sense Brax.”

Brax headed for the living room door. “I’m gonna go sleep in one of the bedrooms. If I hear you screaming I’ll know to come running.”

Martha watched him retreat. She lay back on the couch and thought about how he had reacted when she’d brought up the subject of him maybe having known the woman. She had suspicions that there was something he hadn’t told her.

Summer Bay House

Broad pale streaks of light seeped in through the kitchen window as Alf let himself into the house. He was now aware of the intense fatigue poised to overtake his body and mind, since he’d been at the hospital most of the night, waiting for the doctors to discharge Duncan.

He placed a backpack on the table and looked at his son. “Welcome home mate. Make yourself comfy on the couch. I’ll get you a cup of tea.”

Duncan wandered over to the couch. “You don’t have to make a fuss dad, really.” He laid down, and dropped off to sleep.

Roo was seated with a fresh cup of tea at the stool in the kitchen. “How’s he doing?”

“He’s ok, but I’m exhausted.” Alf replied.

“Well you go and catch up on some sleep. I’ll see he’s taken care of.”

“Good morning.” Alf said to a bleary-eyed Matthew.

Matthew planted himself at the other stool in the kitchen with little more than a grunt as a response.

“You could be a little happier your uncle’s home.” Alf smiled.

Matthew cast a knowing glance over at the couch, but went about preparing his breakfast.

“Right well I’m off for some kip.”

“Bye Dad.” Roo called. “Sleep well?” She asked her son.

“I guess.” He yawned.

A knock at the door distracted Roo from off the stool. “Jack. What can I do for you?”

Jack stood in the doorway, a serious look upon his face. “I need to ask Duncan some questions.”

“Well he’s sleeping. Can’t it wait till later?”

“It can’t, sorry Roo.” Jack stepped foot into the house. “Did you hear about Martha?”

Roo looked concerned. “No. I haven’t heard from her in a few days. Why?”

“Someone broke into the farm house. I’ve been sending police over there all night keeping an eye on her.”

“Thanks for telling me.” Roo grabbed her bag and headed out the door.

Pier Diner

Bobby set down a strawberry milkshake and a blueberry muffin in front of Xavier. “Can I get you anything else?”

“A guide at how to deal with relationships would be great.” Xavier said.

Bobby gave a light smile. “Sadly there’s no guides, but if you ever need someone to listen.”

“I like April, I really do, but I just don’t think it’s what I want. She’s just not…”

“Ruby?” Bobby cut in.”

“Yeah, I guess.”

“Well then you need to tell April where she stands before she gets hurt. As for Ruby, you can tell her now.” Bobby left the table as Ruby walked over toward Xavier.

“Hey, Rubes. Can we talk?” He asked.

“I actually wanted to do that too. I just wanna say sorry for blowing my top at you yesterday.”

“Just you seemed like you were a bit jealous that’s all.” He said.

Ruby gave a half laugh. “Me jealous. Please. Ok, maybe I was a little bit jealous when I saw you guys together.”

“That must’ve been tough.”

“Are you actually trying to be a jerk now Xave?”

“Well I can’t help who likes me now can I?”

“No. I guess you can’t help that. I always think if you want to be with someone you’ll do all you can to be with that person.” Ruby couldn’t ignore her love her Xavier. It burned like a livid fire in her heart, and no matter how much she forced her mind to forget that fact; she could not put out the flame.

“Yeah.” Xavier mulled over his thoughts.

“Well I gotta go. So I guess I’ll see you later.” Ruby gave him the biggest smile before she exited the diner.

Xavier pulled out his mobile, and scrolled through his contacts. When he got to the number he wanted he pressed the green call button. “Hey, April. We need to talk.”

Archived