Tomorrow and Forever

Guest ScreamingQueen2006

Thanks so much your comments Jarlie, Pembie and Freakie42. I really appreciate the feedback you guys give and it always makes me happy to know that you like the story.

We're slowly coming away from L.A now, and with that part of the story ending you guys now get a chance to see some of the other characters and their stories.

So without further ado here's the next installment. Enjoy reading. :)

Chapter 6 – Part 1

Franklin and Vine

The police officer towered over the trio. “I’m gonna need to see some form of identification from each of you.”

Ruby and Xavier reached into the bag.

“Hey!” The thief said.

“Our wallets are in there.” Xavier explained to the cop.

The officer snatched the bag and fished for the wallets. He found two, and both Ruby and Xavier were relieved upon seeing that they were theirs.

The officer paused to read the IDs then looked over at the girl. “Where’s yours?”

“I don’t have one.” Her eyes searched the pavement.

“No one move.” He said and returned to his patrol car. The teenagers waited in silence, and as a cab pulled up Ruby and Xavier instantly knew the lectures were about to start.

“What’s Charlie doing here?” Ruby asked.

“I don’t know. I thought it was just mum and Palmer. She never said anything on the phone about Charlie being here.”

The adults rushed over to them. “Thank goodness you’re safe Xavier.” Gina said in relief. “You really had me worried.” Hugs flew between the two, but Charlie and Ruby wound up face to face, the tension cut like a knife.

“I don’t want to talk to you Charlie.” Ruby said.

“I understand, but we need to sit down at some point, so that you know everything.”

Ruby didn’t know how to react. She couldn’t understand why no one had ever told her the truth. She felt like the entire sixteen years of her life had been a lie.

Martha’s Farm

Inside the farm house, Martha lay on the couch, glued to the television.

“Hey.” Roo spoke entering the living room. “Didn’t you hear me knocking?”

“Sorry. I was watching Packed to the Rafters.”

“Your granddad is worried about you and so am I.” Roo’s eyes lingered on her daughter’s current state. “Is everything alright?”

Martha pointed to the television. “Ben just learned Melissa died.”

“I don’t understand why you watch this stuff. It always makes you cry and then you spend the rest of the day moping around, exactly how you are right now.” Roo placed her handbag on the kitchen counter. “Coffee?”

Martha shook her head.

“Ice cream then?”

“No.” Martha laughed.

“Come on Martha. I’ve heard about those ice cream tubs piling up in the bin when you’re down, plus it makes everything feel better. I heard you called in sick today.”

“I felt like a day to myself, that’s all.” Martha moved off the couch. “You seem to be very concerned about me. Are you sure you’re feeling ok? Better question. Why haven’t you started the ice cream?”

Roo opened the freezer and peered into the icy compartment, and pulled out a tub of Homer Hudson’s Chocolate ice cream. “So is this an off day?”

“Some days are better than others. When you saw me in the diner, that was one of the better ones. I should probably try and get out more.”

“Says the one who was crying over fictional characters.” Roo smiled. “How about we go shopping or something, sometime this week? Take your mind off everything?”

Martha nodded as she tucked into the ice cream with a spoon.

Yabbie Creek Pet Shop

Dexter entered the pet store; the noise of the bell as he opened and closed the door behind was very familiar to him.

“Watch out for Godzilla.” Adrian called out.

He looked at her oddly. “Who?”

“Godzilla. He’s the new pet here, an alligator to be precise. No one’s purchased him yet, but no surprises there, right? So I think if we can’t sell him he’s going to be the new security.”

Dexter eyed the reptile. “It’s kinda big. Did it come like that?”

“Is that a trick question?”

“It looked smaller in the catalogue?”

“You can stop now Dex.”

“Ok.”

“So what brings you here?”

“I thought I’d drop by my new Summer Bay High friend, its protocol.”

Adrian eyed him with suspicion. “Somehow I don’t believe you.”

“You’ve grown on me.”

“You’re starting to weird me out.” Adrian’s defences shot up. “This is the ninth time you’ve been here this week.”

“Sorry, I don’t mean to. I wondered if you wanted to go to this party.” He handed her a printed invitation. “It’s at Nicole Franklin’s house. I was going to see if Xavier could go, but since he’s still on the run with Ruby, I thought hey why not ask you.”

“Still?”

“Yeah, think I’d be silently assassinated in my sleep if I tried that.”

Adrian laughed a little. “I suppose I could go…only if you help me close up.”

“Sure.”

Franklin and Vine

“I’m just glad you’re ok.” Charlie said. “I really do care about you Ruby.”

“Enough to lie to my face for years, you lied to me about something that should’ve made us closer.”

Charlie squeezed her hands into little balls, until her knuckles turned white. “Someday I hope you’ll understand.”

“I do understand, to never trust you again. You’re not my mother, my sister, or my friend. Just leave me alone from now on.” Ruby turned away and found Xavier, grateful for the escape she wrapped her arms round his waist.

“You ok?” Xavier asked.

Ruby sighed. “After saying all that stuff to Charlie just now, I still don’t feel any better. I know I’m supposed to feel sorry for Charlie somehow, but how can I? I don’t want to go back home with her Xave. She’s ruined my life.”

“You’re still upset and that’s totally fair, but you need to cool down before you make any more rash decisions.”

“I seriously can’t go back with her. I thought you would at least understand.”

“I can’t give you another out. I’m sorry Rubes. I’m sure if you explained it to Charlie, the same way you did to me, I’m sure she wouldn’t make you go back to live with her.”

“I can’t believe you’re saying this.” Ruby pulled away from Xavier as she tried to hold back tears.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the comments guys. This chapter ends the runaway story for Ruby and Xavier. So we're back to good old Summer Bay now.

Hope you enjoy reading. :)

Chapter 6 Part 2

Marthas Farm

So whats this I hear about a new man in your life? You havent said anything about him since I arrived. Roo said.

It was one date, but weve been texting. Martha replied.

Dont you think its a bit soon after Hugo?

I dont want to be alone for the rest of my life. Who told you anyway?

Colleen, apparently Bobby had said something about seeing you and this guy together. Not that shed tell me anything.

I know its frustrating that she seems to bare this age old grudge, but she was with Frank when you both decided you still had feelings for each other. If someone had done that to Hugo and me, you see how that would make anyone angry?

Youre right. Roo replied, feeling guiltier about that past incident than before. Guess who I saw in the diner earlier?

Who?

Brett Macklin, still the same as ever. Hes planning on redeveloping the houses in the Bay. Hell be lucky to get anyone to sell to him.

Yeah, youre probably right Martha stopped talking, she felt really nauseas. Excuse me a minute. She rushed out the lounge toward the bathroom.

She knelt above the basin, her hair pulled back, and then her body convulsed. The thick yellow liquid gushed from her mouth.

Martha. Are you ok? Roo stood in the doorway.

Yeah, its nothing. Its just a bug or something. Martha watched Roo leave, as she flushed the sick away. She placed a hand on her stomach, the thought that ran through her mind scared her. Im pregnant?

She caught a glimpse of her figure in the mirror and studied herself, and wondered if she seemed different yet. If it was visible, she didnt see it. She wondered how long it would be before she started to show, but for now at least she could try and keep it hidden.

Franklin and Vine

It took the adults and the police officer some time to sort out the Missing Persons Report. The girl, who had stolen Rubys bag, sat on the curb, in front of the convenience store. She had been warned by the cop not to wander off. They had found out her name was Shari Hughes, and had been on the run for a while.

Gina waited with John and Xavier. I will never understand how you thought this was a good idea.

I know and Ive learnt my lesson. Can we forget about it for now?

Believe me Xavier, this conversation is not over. Im just glad nothing else happened besides this bag snatching.

The officer approached Ruby. Now what about this bag?

I just want my things back. Ruby replied. We were at this restaurant last night, and she

I wasnt doing anything. I was hanging outside with my friends. Shari fired back.

Xavier walked up to Ruby and the officer. She stole it from us.

Staring at the ground Shari could feel all eyes on her, watching, waiting for a response, and suddenly she blurted out. Yeah, its hers, ok?

The cop returned the bag to Ruby. Would you like to do anything about the theft?

Ruby and Xavier exchanged a wide-eyed look. No, its no big deal.

Something came over Gina. Hey wait a minute. She reached inside her purse and pulled out three twenty dollar notes and held them out to Shari. Buy whatever you need.

For real?

Yes.

Shari reached forward and snatched the notes; she studied the twenties like a counterfeit inspection officer. Thanks.

Take care of yourself. Gina watched as the girl ran off and faded out of sight. No matter how much of a pain Xavier could be, at least she knew where he was and that he was safe.

Everyone headed back to the waiting cab.

Want to sit together back to the airport? Xavier asked Ruby.

Not now Xave.

Is everything ok between us?

I just want to be with my thoughts for a while.

Somewhere over the Pacific Ocean

Every breath John took, the stale air of the planes cabin turned his stomach. Normally he had no trouble flying, but now with his teenage step-son recovered and seated beside him, he felt a distinct sense of nausea.

This isnt going to be some never ending grounding is it? Xavier asked.

Gina, who was stationed in the window seat, turned to her son. I dont think you can negotiate this one, Xavier. This grounding could last until youre fourty and you would still have to go along with it.

Xavier huffed loudly. What was I supposed to do, let Ruby run away on her own?

We understand that you wanted to protect Ruby to make sure she was ok after what happened. John could feel Xaviers gaze on him. But taking off to an entire different country with very little money and not a properly thought through plan is.

Dangerous. Gina chimed in. Wanting to be there for someone you care about is a good instinct to have, but not when it involves putting yourself in harms way.

Well it looks like I did it all for nothing anyway. Ruby doesnt seem to want to talk to me now, she didnt want to stay with Charlie, and I guess she thought Id let her stay with me. I should have backed her up.

Thats where you did the right thing. We cant take her in when her family are having issues. Its not our place Xavier. Gina replied.

So thats it. Youre not bothered we might be starting to have problems?

Im sure Ruby will come round, but John and I are here for you.

Whatever.

Dont whatever your mother. John scolded.

Xavier looked out the tiny window and placed his iPod earbuds back into his ears.

Yabbie Creek Pet Shop

Adrian slid the key into the lock and turned, with a sharp click she retrieved it and placed it into her purse.

Doesnt the thought of walking home leave your insides hollow? Dexter asked, as they made their way down the road.

What do you mean?

Well its dark, kind of a depressing time to be walking home. But I guess theres no other option apart from spending a night in the library, and no one wants to do that.

Why? Did you? Adrian smiled.

No, well I almost did.

Creepy.

So hypothetically, what would you do if we were trapped in a library for the night? He asked boldly.

What?

Youre so awesome. I know Im not allowed to push the boundaries, but I like you. I capital L like you. Dexter moved closer.

Adrian was halfway to panicking at the image of Dexter kissing her when something caught her attention.

The house glowed in a florescent orange, burning up into pandemonium of flames.

Thanks Jarlie, Pembie and Freakie42 and for your comments on the Prequel - Lives of Tomorrow.

Hope you enjoy reading this update.

Chapter 7 – Part 1

Telephone Booth/Macklin Group HQ

“At first I didn’t understand but now I do.” The caller spoke from a payphone.

Brett had no idea how to respond. “Maybe you should go back to the clinic. Why don’t you tell me where you are? I’ll have someone pick you up.”

“I’m not confused anymore.” The sinister caller continued. “I’m helping people like you told me to.”

“I think the fires should end now, they’ve served their purpose.” Brett demanded.

The voice was weak but still nasty as ever. “The fires are only beginning Mr Macklin, after the fires everything will be beautiful.”

Pier Diner

In the diner’s kitchen hidden away from the customers, Leah paced back and forth. She looked at her watch and proceeded to pick up a plastic test that rested on her handbag, she noticed it was negative.

“Come on Leah, it’s chaos out there.” Bobby said.

“Yeah, I’m coming out to help. I just need a minute.” She shoved the test kit into her handbag.

Vinnie waltzed into the kitchen and began to nit-pick at a bowl of previously prepared salad. “Hey princess.”

“Vinnie, I can’t talk, we’re flat out in here.” Leah replied.

“Isn’t the V Man allowed to visit his wife at work now?” Vinnie chomped on a slice of tomato.

Leah turned round, feeling crotchety. “I’m working, and stop eating all the diner food.” She shouted and headed out toward the customers.

“What’s got into her?” Vinnie asked Bobby, who carried dirty plates to the sink.

“Gee I don’t know Vinnie. Why don’t you ask her later when we’re less busy?”

-----

Morag sat reading a newspaper, the headline read: ‘House fires leave families homeless’. She noticed Heath eyeing her with a smug look across his face.

“So did you come by your hair naturally?” He asked her.

“Pardon?”

“Your hair colour, it’s orange.”

Morag looked at him sternly. “It’s red.”

“Hate to break it to you old girl but it’s orange. I could set it on fire and it wouldn’t get any more orange.”

“How very fascinating, your point?”

“Just making conversation.” Heath moved away, and Morag sat in silence once more.

-----

Adrian stood at the counter ready to order. Colleen strolled into the diner, she held a newspaper in her hands and her face was as white as a sheet.

“Colleen can I get…” Adrian began to ask, but Colleen cut her off.

“Not now Adrian. I can’t possibly serve anyone. It’s so awful.”

Adrian raised an eyebrow. “What is?”

“Two house fires in one night, those poor families.”

Adrian nodded. “Me and Dex saw one of them in Yabbie Creek last night.”

“Shouldn’t you be at home recovering?” Colleen asked.

“I’m ok. I just hope the people who lived in that house are though.”

Jack entered the diner dressed in his police uniform.

“Constable Holden.” Colleen said as she laid eyes on him. “What’s happening about these house fires? I want to know if I’m going to be safe in my caravan tonight.”

“I can’t discuss that here.”

“Well of course.” Colleen still clutched the newspaper in her hands, then her eyes widened in an expression that said it all. “I just don’t think I could take another shock, not after having my caravan stolen while I was still in it.”

“Yes Colleen, we’re looking into it and I’m sure you’ll be safe.”

Morag noticed Jack and shouted him over. “Constable Holden.”

“Judge Bellingham.” Jack walked over to her.

“Please call me Morag. How’s summer bay treating you? Last time I saw you were on that big case in the city.”

“It’s great.” Jack smiled. “Yeah, it’s been a while. So what can I do for you?”

“It’s more what I can do for you. I think Heath Braxton might have something to do with the fires.”

Jack hovered by the table, trying not to talk too loudly to prevent anyone hearing their conversation. “What brings you to that conclusion?”

“Well he came in here and mocked my hair, about it being set on fire.”

“He’s probably just scaremongering.”

“Even so I’d like it followed up.” Morag urged.

“I’ll look into it, but I’m sure it’s nothing.”

Patterson Residence

Charlie traced her bra to a spot near the bedroom door, and then refocused her eyes on Brax. “I really have to go into the station today.”

“That’s disappointing.” Brax said.

“I know.” She rested her head on his shoulder. “Time to get dressed.” She climbed out the bed and started to dress into her uniform.

“So is Ruby ok now?” Brax asked, as Charlie opened her wardrobe door.

“She’s staying at Irene’s. I’m not happy about it, but I think she’s a lot more qualified to look after Ruby than I am at the moment.”

“She’ll come around once she has time to cool down. I’m so sorry that this happened Charlie, if I’d had any idea.” Brax walked up from behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist. As she tried to speak again he offered a soft “Shh.” She allowed herself to melt into him one last time.

Summer Bay High

Melody and Nicole stood in the hallway at their lockers, changing text books for the next class.

“Hi Freak Show.” Nicole said bitterly.

“Hi Blondie.” Melody replied.

“Oh did I ever mention I’m going to be on the Design Course next year?”

Melody exchanged a cold look at Nicole. “No, you didn’t.”

“Maybe if you followed fashion or something cool, you’d be going somewhere with your life.” Nicole closed her locker.

“Follow fashion with a knife and stab it in an alleyway.” Dexter commented; he had been stood across from their lockers the whole time.

“Ever thought about joining the circus?” Nicole asked him.

His eyes shifted. “No.”

“Good, because a monkey’s more funny to look at than you.” She walked away down the corridor, three-quarters of an inch between the hem of her school dress and the start of her underwear.

“What did she want?” Adrian asked as she arrived through the side entrance.

“Same as usual.” Dexter began. “She acts so stuck up and spoilt, feel sorry that Melody had to put up with that. She probably looked out of her window as a little girl, like a royal princess, looking down on her subjects as they moved about her Kingdom.”

They both walked into a nearby classroom and took seats.

“Are you ok after last night?” Adrian asked him.

Dexter shook his head. “I keep having nightmares about it.”

“It’s not as if we saw anyone burn alive.”

“No, but we might as well have. We could have been seeing ghosts in the red sparks interpreted as fire.”

“Don’t be silly Dex.”

“Everyone no more talking.” Miles ordered the class. “Now we’re gonna try something new this term. If I pass you a marker pen you’re allowed to talk. We will carry on where we left off, with Billy Shakes greatest romance tragedy Romeo and Juliet. We’re gonna talk about it then we’ll have a test. First up Adrian, in your own words.”

Adrian took the marker pen from Miles. “So Juliet and Leonardo Dicaprio fell in love. It was great except they came from those two totally hate each other families. That would have been a major awkward wedding reception, right?”

Dexter zoned out, his thoughts taking him back to the discovery of the other night.

Thanks for the comments Pembie and Jarlie.

Loshi88 - Thanks for taking the time to check it out and comment. Hope to see you around some more.

Hope you guys enjoy this update.

Chapter 7 - Part 2

Summer Bay High

The alarm beeped startling Dexter, causing him to watch the clock as if it were his personal enemy.

“Right everybody pens down, papers to the front.” Miles said. “After that you may go.”

The students rose from their seats and placed their papers on his desk one by one, then proceeded to leave the classroom.

“So what have you guys got planned for tonight?” Melody asked.

“Hopefully anything that doesn’t involve fires.” Dexter replied.

“Sorry I wasn’t much help earlier, didn’t know what to say about it.” Adrian said.

“It’s ok.” Dexter smiled at her. “So Mel. What you doing with yourself?”

“Well Ruby’s back. So I’m heading over to Annie’s to catch up.”

“Sweet, say hi for me.”

“Will do Dex. Bye guys.” Melody said as she headed out the school building.

Dexter sighed. “I have no idea how I’m going to stop dwelling over that house fire we saw.”

“Go run round the house like twenty times.” Adrian suggested.

“I tried that already.”

“You could run around a chair one hundred times then.”

Dexter shook his head.

“Ok well I’d tell you to run up and down the stairs, but you’d probably trip each and every time.”

“Not funny.” Dexter said lamely as the bell rang for the end of school.

Jeffries House

“Mr Jeffries?” Jack asked, as a man opened his front door.

“Yeah. What can I do for you?” Larry Jeffries replied.

“Constable Jack Holden.” Jack held up his police badge. “I’m investigating the Yabbie Creek house fires. Can you tell me anything about the fire next door? And where were you on the night it happened?”

“I was out at the time watching my son’s football game.” Larry’s eyes shifted.

“You didn’t like Alan Henderson, did you?”

“Some neighbours I get along with, some I don’t. That’s nothing new. Alan was just being difficult.”

“What do you mean by that?” Jack raised an eyebrow.

Larry gestured toward the neighbouring houses. “They’re knocking down these houses to redevelop new ones.”

“Who is?”

“Macklin Development, That Brett Macklin is a right rat, spreading his flyers all over town. He even offered to buy my house too.”

“Did Henderson want to sell?”

“I don’t think so. He’d moved here from Mangrove River. He was a pig-headed bully to his wife and son. When I heard they’d won a trip away I thought thank goodness a break from them.”

“Who runs the competition?”

“That Macklin guy advertises them on his flyers.”

“Did you see anyone hanging around the house, prior to the fire?” Jack questioned.

“Now you mention it there was a woman, kind of medium height, skinny, reddish hair and a jumper with writing on the back, Sydney Women’s Institute.”

“Thanks for your time Mr Jeffries.”

The Rocket Club

Brax looked at Martha. “Have you decided what you’re gonna do?”

Martha took a deep breath as she looked at Brax. It was a question she’d had in her head for weeks. “I know my contract is on the line here.”

Brax shifted in his seat.

“But I can’t get rid of this baby, I’m sorry.” Martha continued, a tear streamed down her face. “And although I know about my options I can’t give this up.”

“Ok, I want you to know then that you’re not in this alone.” Brax began. “I always knew when I had kids I’d be there for them right off the bat.”

Martha shook her head. “I’m asking you to let me do this alone. We barely know each other, you’re with Charlie. It was a mistake that I’d rather forget.”

“Martha.”

“No. Do me one favour? Don’t call me again.” She got up from her seat and looked at him. “I don’t want to work for you anymore. I will take care of this baby and it doesn’t involve you.”

Hope you guys enjoy this new update. :)

Chapter 8 – Part 1

Austin’s House

The bright rays from the sun cast onto the windows. Gina stood in the kitchen, a garment of Hugo’s in her hands, tracing her fingers along the fabric. One hand reached up to wipe a tear from the corner of her eye. Her alone time was cut short as Xavier walked into the open plan living room. "I didn’t expect to see you up so early.” She said.

“Ah yeah, I couldn’t really sleep. Have a lot on my mind.”

“What like?”

“I need some help writing something.” Xavier sat down in the desk chair.

Gina walked over to the computer. “Which class is it for?”

“It isn’t for school.” He stared at the empty email on the screen. “It’s for Ruby.”

“Oh. Well if it’s one of those love letters, I could find a poem you could quote.”

“It’s not that either. I want to tell Ruby something before she finds out from someone else.”

“What’s happened now?”

Xavier looked her in the eye. “You have to promise not to say anything.”

Gina gave a serious nod.

“You know how Ruby didn’t know Charlie was her mum?”

“I don’t like the sound of this Xavier.”

“I kind of found out. I was over at Ruby’s collecting my IPod and there was this letter, a letter Charlie wrote years ago. I know I shouldn’t have read it, and I never said anything to Ruby because it didn’t seem my place to tell her.”

“You think she’s going to find out you knew and be mad?” Gina asked.

“Yeah, look how angry she was at Charlie.”

“She has had time to calm down since then. Maybe she’ll understand that was another way you were trying to protect her.”

“I guess.”

“What have you typed so far?” Gina glanced at the screen.

“Nothing, this is so annoying and complicated.”

“You’ll figure out what you want to say. I think this is rather mature of you, wanting to own up about this.” She gently squeezed his shoulder and walked back over to the kitchen to prepare breakfast.

Xavier started to type; his fingers flew over the keys nimbly and after fifteen minutes or more pressed send.

The Beach House

Ruby and Annie sat on the couch in their pyjamas.

“I don’t know what to say Rubes. I’m just glad you’re back.” Annie said.

“The whole thing sucks, but what makes it worse is that Xavier didn’t stand up for me. He was like; no Rubes go talk to Charlie about it.”

“Well it must’ve been hard for him, if Gina and John were bound to say no.”

“Fact is they didn’t, he wouldn’t ask them.”

“He did help you run away. I guess that’s more than most guys would probably do.”

“Yeah, maybe so what’s been happening since I’ve been away?” Ruby asked.

“Nothing much just that guy Matthew, Melody told you about.”

“If he’s as much trouble as she says he is, then I feel sorry for her having to live in the same house as him.”

The ringing of Annie’s mobile phone on the coffee table stirred them both. Annie picked it up and looked at the caller ID on the screen. “It’s Charlie.”

“Don’t answer it.”

“If we keep ignoring her she’s probably gonna come round.”

“Well don’t answer the door.”

“You can’t ignore her forever.”

“I can try.”

“She knows you’re here anyway. What’s the point of trying to avoid her?”

“Because I really don’t want to have to face her right now, Annie.”

The landline situated on the table near the stairs began to ring. Annie sprang off the couch and picked up the cordless phone. “Hello?” She lowered the receiver. “It’s Charlie.”

“Again?”

Annie held the phone out to Ruby. “She wants to talk to you.”

Ruby took the phone and placed it to her ear. “What do you want Charlie?” She seemed to listen for a few minutes then placed the cordless back into its cradle.

“What was that about?” Annie asked.

“Charlie wants me to meet her and Ross for lunch. I reckon it’s some ploy to get me to go back home.”

“Why would they do that?”

“Because they want to keep me trapped in their precious little suburbia, with any luck I’ll turn out like them.” Ruby headed toward the foot of the stairs. “I’m gonna get dressed, then maybe we can head to Yabbie Creek to see that new flick you mentioned last night.”

“Sure.” Annie replied, as she headed to her bedroom to do the same.

Summer Bay General Hospital

“You look like you could use a cup of tea.” Sid said.

The words caught Martha off-guard as she looked up at him. She pushed a plastic cup toward Sid, who generously re-filled it.

“I haven’t seen you in a while, and I know when my patients aren’t in their usual good spirits.” Sid began. “Is there anything in particular you wanted to talk about?”

“When will my back stop hurting?” Martha asked.

“It never stops.”

Martha took in the information with a worried look.

“It does get easier. I mean the morning sickness goes away after the second trimester. Just try not to worry. Put your feet up, relax and enjoy the lie-ins you have left.” A light smile spread across Sid’s face. “My ex-wife, Jodie, well she did it twice. I’m sure if she can do it anyone can. So you’re in for a scan next week?”

Martha nodded.

“Have you told the father?”

Martha’s expression told Sid all he needed to know.

“I don’t mean to pry Martha, but you do know who he is, don’t you? He has to be told.”

“I told him I didn’t want him to get involved. I mean it was a really big mistake.”

“I understand your hormones are all over the place and that may be clouding your judgement here, but is there any chance you two could come to some sort of arrangement?”

“I don’t know.” Martha looked down toward the floor.

Thanks Jarlie and Pembie. :)

Hope you enjoy this one.

Chapter 8 – Part 2

Surf Club

Alf stood behind the Juice Bar, a clipboard in hand. “What have you got planned for the day?”

Matthew sat on a stool, leaning on the counter. “I don’t know. Maybe go for a surf. ”

“I thought you might like to give me a hand round here.”

“Isn’t Martha supposed to be working today?”

“Yeah, but I don’t think she’ll be here.”

Matthew thought for a moment. “Does this mean I’ll get paid?”

“Yeah I s’pose so. Just make sure you serve the customers and not stand around gasbagging.”

Matthew walked round to the serving side of the Juice Bar and ran his hand along the cash register. “It’s all under control.”

Gina walked into the Surf Club, Xavier close behind. She stopped in front of Alf, who was now at the stairs that led to Angelo’s.

“Alf, I wondered. You wouldn’t by any chance have any positions going would you?” She asked.

Alf took his eyes away from the clipboard and looked at Gina. “I’m not sure I have anything permanent, but I could use a hand today. “

“It’s for Xavier. I thought it’d be a good way for him to recuperate the money he owes.”

Brax stepped down the stairs and must have over heard their conversation. “I’ve got a couple jobs available at the restaurant, delivering pizzas that sort of thing. If Xavier’s interested then I’ll be able to show him the ropes this arvo, oh and Matthew if he wants.”

“It’d certainly give him something to do.” Alf said.

“Thanks Brax, I’ll send Xavier over after he’s finished here.” Gina replied.

“No worries.”

Gina smiled at her son. “See you later Xave.”

Alf chaperoned Xavier toward the Juice Bar where he met Matthew and they began with the daily duties.

Martha’s Farm

The screen door swung open as Martha walked in with three bags of groceries. Roo hurried to help, by talking one that looked heaviest.

“I was thinking.” Martha began as she placed a bag on the counter. “About getting back to working on the farm. Would you be interested in helping out? It might just help me to ease back into things if I had someone to hang out with.”

“As long as you don’t mind your old mum here demolishing vegetables instead of weeds.” Roo replied, grabbing food from Martha to put away in the fridge.

Martha laughed. “Don’t worry, I’ll teach you all there is to know.”

Roo thought about her next words carefully. “Can I ask you something?”

“Sure.”

“Ok, and I’d like an honest answer.”

Angelo’s

“Did Ruby confirm with you that she was coming?” Ross asked. “We’ve been waiting long enough.” He sounded irritated as he looked at the menu.

“Yes. Nice to know that your concern for Ruby is top priority.” Charlie snapped back.

The two stopped quarrelling when they saw Ruby enter the restaurant and began to walk toward their table. Ross raised himself from his seat to offer her a quick hug.

“Sorry guys, I was with Annie at the movies. It ran a little late.” Ruby glanced between Charlie and Ross.

“It’s alright we haven’t got to ordering yet.” Charlie replied, looking at Ross to start the conversation.

“How are things at Summer Bay High going? I hope that boy Xavier isn’t disrupting your school work.” Ross began. “I suppose you’ve decided to stay permanently at Irene’s then?”

Ruby sat back clearly angry at them both for the set up about her current situation. She reached for her glass of water, and took a sip, as she watched Charlie stare at her. “I’m fine. I’m quite happy where I am.”

“Sweetheart, we’re just concerned. We thought we had this all behind us after the latest stunt.” Ross continued.

“What are you guys going to do? Ship me off again? It may have worked when I was boarding, but not now. Let’s face it even between you both; you have no clue what to do with me.”

The table fell silent before Ruby finished off her water. She left without saying goodbye. The waiter arrived ready to take their orders. Charlie told him that they wouldn’t be dining there and with a glance between them he left the table.

“Nice going.” Charlie snapped at Ross.

“I tried my best.”

“If that’s your best I’d hate to see your worst.”

Martha’s Farm

“Where were you this morning?” Roo asked.

Martha looked confused. “Just out. Why?”

“Well, Madge Wilkins said she saw you leaving the hospital earlier.”

Martha slipped into a nearby chair. “I had an appointment, to collect my prescription. I’ve been taking anti-depressants for my anxiety and sleeping pills. You know it’s just hard trying to adjust after Hugo.”

“Is it more than that? Because I think it is.” Roo grasped Martha’s hand. “Are you pregnant?”

I need a bit of a breather from the BTTB, but don’t worry it’s only for a week. So I’ve decided to give you guys the next two updates in a merged chapter. Hope you enjoy the read.

Chapter 9 – Part 1 and 2

Martha’s Farm

“Yes.” Martha responded.

“You’re pregnant?” Roo exclaimed as she dropped onto the couch beside Martha. “How far along are you?”

“Three – four months, I keep checking my stomach in the mirror daily, to see if the beginnings of a bump are there yet.”

“I guess it’s different for everyone, some first timers don’t show so much in the early stages.” Roo looked for an easy way to help her daughter. “Have you thought about your options?”

Martha gave her a stern look. “If you’re asking if I’m keeping it then yes I am.”

“Ok. If you’re absolutely sure about your decision.”

“I am.”

“I remember when I was expecting you. I was so young and I wasn’t thinking straight and I lied so much about everything. Not to mention Brett was absolutely horrible to me over it. It must even harder knowing Hugo won’t be around to help.”

“It’s not his; it’s a long story, one that I don’t want to get into.”

Roo wasn’t one to pry so she carried on the conversation. “So is this father interested?”

Martha swallowed hard as she remembered she had already warned Brax away. “Yeah…”

“All I’m saying is if the father wants to be involved, and it’s for the right reasons then that’s a good thing. Make sure you’re in control of the situation though Martha.”

“Now that you know.” Martha began. “I don’t want this getting out, not to Matt or Granddad. Just keep it between us.”

“I can’t not tell your granddad Martha. What I can do is swear him to secrecy for now at least.”

“He’s going to be really disappointed isn’t he?” Martha asked as she dropped her head shamefully.

The Beach House

“Are five days not enough? You wanted an evening with me too?” Matthew teased, as he pushed the ordered Pizza toward Annie.

Annie handed him some money. “Shouldn’t you get back to work, instead of talking with the customers?”

“I realise I’m the last person you want to see right now.”

“You’re perceptive.”

“I know when people think I’m bad news. Ask Melody she’ll tell you, she knows.”

“I’d appreciate it if you kept me out of this this.” Melody said taking the 12 inch square box out of Annie’s hands and placing it onto the counter.

“I’ve been a jerk to you, and for that I’m sorry. It’s not how I usually am.”

“How are you usually?” Annie kept her eyes on him.

“It’s difficult to explain without someone getting to know me, but not like I have been.” He handed her back the dollar note. “I know this won’t help bring the camera back, but you can use this towards a new one.”

“You think a measly few bucks will cover that?” Melody asked.

“No, but I don’t have the money to buy her a new camera like you told me to.”

Annie shot her friend a disapproved look.

“Maybe we could hang out sometime.” Matthew suggested. “Tomorrow, maybe?”

“Is it ok if I think about it?”

“Sure. You’re not saying no, so I guess that’s a good sign.”

“Don’t get too comfortable in that thought.”

Matthew and Annie exchanged a slight smile before he headed out the door.

“That’s definitely a turnaround from his attitude earlier.” Melody muttered, as she bit into a slice of Pizza.

“Maybe he’s turned over a new leaf.”

“Are you kidding me Annie? That boy is nothing but spoilt. You think acting all nice for a second is going to change that?”

“What’s this about you telling him to buy me a new camera?”

Melody looked away. “Guess I shouldn’t have done that.”

“No you shouldn’t.”

“I guess only time will tell whether he’s genuine.”

“Have you ever thought what it’d be like to kiss him?” Annie asked.

Melody stared at Annie with a look of appalled shock. “No way, have you?”

Annie took a slice of the hot Pizza and grinned.

Patterson Residence

“So you did the test and it came up negative?” Vinnie asked.

Leah nodded.

“Right, well we can always try again next month and chart.”

“There’s no point Vinnie. We should just resign ourselves to the fact that it’s not going to happen.” Leah said. “We’re never going to be able to give VJ a little brother or sister.”

“We don’t know that for sure babe. Maybe we could see Dr Walker, there’s always IVF, surrogacy, adoption, or fostering even.”

“Vinnie! Will you just let it go?”

“Ok.”

“I’m going back to the diner; help Irene close up for the night. See you later.” Leah headed out the door while Vinnie watched her leave.

Meanwhile in the living room Brax and Charlie were having their own discussion.

“You’re working at home when you should be relaxing.” Charlie said.

“Yeah well, it’s pretty hard when I’m the manager and owner of both a night club and a restaurant.” Brax replied. “So what were you saying about Morag? What did she say exactly?”

“That I had my reasons for not wanting to tell Ruby.”

“Maybe she is sorry; I mean she’s the one who was pushing for all this to come out in the first place. Maybe you should go talk with her, resolve your issues.”

Charlie sighed. “Maybe you’re right, but I can’t face her right now, I need more time.”

“Fair enough.”

Summer Bay House

Little VJ Patterson tore through the family room of the house, clutching a miniature Transformers auto-bot figurine.

“Hey!” Alf called out from his chair. His tone gave the small boy pause, but instead of stopping and listening he took off through the kitchen and out the back door.

“I’ll get him.” Miles offered, he sprang up from his spot on the couch and moments later he returned, VJ tucked under his arm.

Alf watched Miles deposit VJ on the couch.

“Miles?” VJ asked.

“What’s up mate?”

“I think I’m hungry again.”

Miles chuckled. “Oh really now?”

“My stomach is growling.” VJ said.

“We’ll be having dinner soon, and once you see it you’ll be all over it like a fat kid on a cupcake.”

Matthew entered the house; he opened the fridge and closed it without taking anything.

“We’re having Pizza if you want some.” Miles offered.

Matthew spotted the frozen Pizza on the counter. “Ham and Pepperoni, huh? I’m in”

The oven beeped, and Miles placed the Pizza inside.

“Want to play footy while we wait?” VJ asked Miles.

“Sorry mate. Miles likes you, ok? He likes you a lot and he likes playing footy with you too, but Miles also likes Star Wars and it’s about to start in the next five seconds.”

“Aww.”

“In all fairness though, Star Wars was here first.” Miles smiled.

Patterson Residence

Charlie opened the door to see Martha stood outside. “Did Brax forget to pay you?”

Martha shook her head. “I need to ask him something. It’s about my shift tonight.” She lied.

“I’ll go get him for you.”

Martha’s heart pounded. Since Brax had offered to help her, she felt as if she should at least accept it now that she’d had time to think it over.

“Martha? What are you doing here?” Brax asked, concern in his voice. “Charlie still thinks you work for me I see.”

“Sorry about that.”

Brax shrugged it off. “It’s fine, we can deal with that another time. What’s up? Is the baby alright?”

“The baby’s fine. I was wondering if the offer was still available. I can’t do this on my own. I thought I could, but my mum is asking questions.” Martha placed a hand on her stomach.

“We can’t talk about this here.” Brax hushed her. “Don’t tell anybody about this ok? We will discuss it another time. For now stay away from the house.”

Martha caught herself in confusion when Brax shut the door on her. Who was she to think that he would drop Charlie to play knight in shining armour with her? She turned away even more lost than before; unaware that Charlie had seen her through a bedroom window.

Hours later the front door closed. Charlie clenched her jaw and made her way into the kitchen.

"Where did you go?" She asked.

Brax looked at her, caught off guard. "Excuse me?"

"I asked where you went tonight. You left after diner without a word. I called both Angelo's and the Rocket Club to see if you were there."

"You've been checking up on me?"

"You should be with me not some..."

"Not some what Charlie?" Brax cocked his head.

Charlied glared at him. "Have you been cheating on me?"

"Cheating? What!? No Charlie. I haven't been cheating on you." He edged closer toward her, but she took a few steps back. "Charlie I love you. There will never be anybody else."

"What about Martha? Why is she always getting your attention?"

Brax took a deep gulp, he wanted to tell her the truth, but he couldn't do that to Charlie. Could he?

Thanks Jarlie and Pembie.

Sorry to keep you guys in suspense. Here’s the next update, enjoy.

Chapter 10 – Part 1

Patterson Residence

“Martha’s just lost Hugo. She’s out there all alone on the farm. She needs support from her family and friends, not jealously and judgement Charlie. All I’ve been doing is giving her financial help.” Brax lied.

Charlie let out a sigh of relief and hugged him. “I don’t know what has gotten into me. Must be all the stuff at work and things with Ruby getting on top of me.”

“It’s ok.” Brax lifted Charlie’s face to his and planted a kiss on her lips. “How about we get away for the weekend?”

Charlie nodded. “I’ll go pack our bags.”

Summer Bay Beach

The bright sunshine was hot enough to cover the River Boys in an invisible blanket of warmth, as they play-tackled one another on the sand. Nearby Ruby had taken to the surf, her board suddenly shifted beneath her feet and she crashed into the big blue waves.

“Carve it up did ya?” Heath teased.

“Rack off.” Ruby replied as she made her way from the shore line.

“Ruby.” Matthew ran out of the ocean. “Your feet are pretty far apart. That’s why you keep falling in the water.”

“I don’t need you to tell me I’m not balanced.” Ruby headed toward her friends, who were dressed in school uniform.

“So I just dropped the skittles in the toilet.” Dexter told Adrian. “It was like a ten second Nascar race.”

Ruby overheard their conversation as she dried herself with a towel. “What you guys talking about?”

“Just Dex being random as usual.” Adrian replied.

“I’m not random, I’m original. We saw you talking with Matthew. Anything there we should know about?”

“He reckons I can’t surf, just like half the River Boys he’s hanging out with.”

“Well he’s not exactly one of them. He’s Alf’s grandson, right?” Adrian asked.

“Yes, but that doesn’t stop him and them from criticizing my…”

Dexter interrupted. “Seaweed sandwich.”

Beach House

“Ruby.”

Ruby now dressed in her uniform turned to see Charlie in the kitchen. “What are you doing here?”

Charlie proceeded with caution. “I’ve come to let you know, Brax and I are going away for the weekend.”

Ruby absorbed the information. “I can’t chat. I’ve got to head to school.” She grabbed the text books that lay on the breakfast bar and shoved them into her blue high school bag.

Charlie sighed. “Well I won’t keep you then. I’ve been worried about you though. You haven’t called or replied to any of my texts.”

“I’m not gonna lie to you Charlie” Ruby began. “I’m still really angry at you. I just need some space to wrap my head around everything. I’m thinking of staying here with Annie and Irene for a while longer.”

“You don’t have to.”

“Yes I do.”

“But you belong at home.”

“I need to do this Charlie. It’s the only way we can move forward.”

“You’re sure you’re fine with being here?”

“Why wouldn’t I be? I’m living with my best friend. We stay up all night talking. It’s like a continuous sleep over club.”

“I’m sorry Ruby. I never meant to hurt you like this.”

“I know.” Ruby said empathetically. “I guess I’ll see you later, enjoy your weekend away.” She headed for the front door, the quickest exit to escape the awkwardness.

Summer Bay High

“Are you guys heading to lunch?” Matthew asked Ruby and Annie.

“Yeah.” Ruby replied. “We’re going to the diner, so you might want to try somewhere else.”

“What was that about?” Xavier asked as he watched Matthew walk back down the corridor.

“Nothing, besides him being a total dweeb.” Ruby complained.

“I spent some time with him at the Juice Bar a couple weeks ago and he seemed ok.” Xavier said.

“Maybe we should have invited him to join us.” Annie pondered.

“Are you serious?” Ruby shot back.

“He messed up, but he is new and he has no friends Rubes.”

“Yeah and no manners Annie. How come you’ve changed your tune so quick? Have you forgotten that he let Heath destroy Belle’s camera?”

“No, I haven’t forgotten, but he did apologise. Besides I’m meeting him later.”

“Why? You think that makes up for him being a moron?”

“I don’t think he’s a moron.”

Ruby sighed. “It’s all down hill from here.”

“I’ll take my chances.” Annie smiled. “What’s he done to you anyway?”

“Well, this morning he criticized my surfing. Apparently I’m not balanced enough because my feet are too wide apart or whatever.”

“So?”

“So, he’s saying I can’t surf cos I’m a chick.”

“He’s definiately right about your feet though.” Xavier chimed in.

Annie laughed.

“It’s a miracle they don’t cause you to waddle like a penguin or I’d be forced to look at other options.” He teased.

Ruby lightly slapped Xavier on the arm. “You’re such a meanie. I have feelings you know.”

“You love it.”

“On that note I’m going to use the computers in the library.” Ruby gave him a kiss on the cheek.

“I thought you were coming to the diner with Annie and me?”

“I kinda lost my appetite. See you both later.”

“Guess it’s just us.” Annie said to Xavier. “Come on lets go.”

“Yeah.” Xavier couldn’t help think about the email that lay waiting in Ruby’s in-box.

Thanks Jarlie and Pembie.

There's alot going on this week for me so thought I'd update now, incase things get too hectic. There's a scene in this part at a secluded beach (real life name - Wattamola Beach). I don't know if they've filmed there in the show or not, and because of that I don't know a pretend name so decided to give its actual name. (Not that it's a huge deal or anything, but I like giving you guys tidbits). :lol:

Hope you enjoy reading. :)

Chapter 10 – Part 2

Summer Bay Beach

The northern beach’s ocean waves steadily made their way across the shore line. Jack spotted Heath with a surf board near the showers, and headed over to him.

“G’day Holden. Nice day for it.” Heath said.

“Yeah, a nice day for me to get some answers.” Jack replied abruptly.

“I don’t follow.”

“Can you account for your whereabouts on the night the fires took place?” Jack questioned as he surveyed the River Boys down on the beach.

“Yeah I was at home. Why?”

“Can anyone confirm that?”

“Some of the River Boys were over that night. Is this going somewhere?”

“Do you know anything about the fires?”

“No. Neither do you or we’d be having this chat down at the station. Now if you don’t mind I’ve got a wave to catch.”

“Jack. What was that about?” Brax asked as he walked up behind Jack.

“Police business Brax, that’s all.”

“Heath’s my brother. Whatever you spoke to him about you can tell me.”

“Just following up an enquiry regarding the house fires.” Jack headed toward his police car.

Brax followed behind. “You think he had something to do with it?”

“Right now the whole town could be considered suspects.”

“Heath wouldn’t do that.”

“Why don’t you let us be the decider of that?”

“So basically, he now has to be on his toes for the next…rest of his life as far you cops are concerned.” Brax said sarcastically.

“Basically.”

Brax shook his head in amazement. “You guys are unbelievable.”

Summer Bay High

The school scene at Summer Bay High was always chaotic with students bustling through the corridors.

Nicole smiled devilishly as she saw Melody and her friends approaching. “Oh Mel, did you find a friend?”

“Get stuffed Nicole.” Melody spat.

Annie, Dexter and Melody watched curiously while Nicole manoeuvred around them.

“Oh by the way Annie, if you don’t want to fail socially, you should come hang with me.” She entered a nearby classroom in B Block, leaving them alone again.

Melody rolled her eyes. “Please do ignore her.”

“She’s just so impossible to like. I can’t believe Adrian, Matthew, Xavier and me are going to her party.” Dexter said.

“Great. She’s brainwashed my friends now.”

“I thought Xavier was grounded?” Annie asked.

“He is, but there’s only so much of the same four walls he can take."

“Ok so, as I was saying.” Annie changed the subject. “I don’t know how long Ruby’s staying, but it’s really nice having her around the place.”

“It all sounds a little Jerry Springer to me.” Dexter said. “You know with what’s happening to her and everything. It makes my family life seem normal in comparison.”

“Well mines a complete shambles and it’s all because of that skank Nicole.” Melody said angrily.

“Don’t let her get to you Mel.” Annie said, trying to ease her friend’s frustration.

“Annie’s right.”

“Thanks guys.” Melody smiled.

The bell rang for the beginning of the morning’s classes, making the last of the students rush to their lessons.

Morag’s Apartment

“Brax and I are going away for a couple of days so thought I’d drop by and see dad.” Charlie said.

“He’s not been himself lately.”

“He seems to be having move confused moments, doesn’t he?”

“Well when he’s on medication he’s fairly stable.” Morag responded. “But lately he seems to be getting more and more confused.”

“Is that stress related?”

“Well I think his determination not to let family secrets out took its toll and now that Ruby knows, I think he feels guilty that he couldn’t have done more to stop her from getting hurt. He just let it slip, I don’t think he was even aware he’d said it, but I can understand how it may have come across to you, when I was on the phone.”

“You blurted it out Morag.”

“I know and I apologise. It’s no one else’s business but yours. I won’t discuss it with anyone.”

“I know you wouldn’t.”

“Charlie, I’m not the ogre I appear to be. If you ever want to talk I’m here.”

“Thanks. Actually I’ve talked to Brax about it.”

Morag rolled her eyes.

“He’s been great.” Charlie continued. “I trust him with this and I know you and dad aren’t happy with me seeing him, and how much being involved with him could hurt my career. But I love him Morag.”

Wattamolla Beach

“I miss my parents, granddad and Geoff a lot, but I’m still grateful to Irene that I have a normal life in spite of it.” Annie turned to him. “Now I have you as well.”

Matthew felt sympathy upon hearing what happened to her birth parents. He looked out over the water, the lagoon remained beautiful and tranquil, the occasional ripple as the breeze passed the surface.

“Come on; come in the water with me.” Smiling cheekily he stood up and took her by the hand.

They stopped at the water’s edge and Annie watched as Matthew began to take off his shirt.

Annie looked at him anxiously.

“Oh heck, if you’re not getting in then I am. Just stay here and guard my clothes.” He dived downward, immersing himself in the most refreshing element.

After a moment of thought Annie surrendered her nerves and followed him into the water. “I hope you’re happy.”

Matthew grinned.

The shimmering silvery sparkly water transformed itself to an enchanting place with an evening full of anticipation. The stars reflected in the lagoon, giving a sense that they were floating in the cosmos. Soon there were waves, like mini sized tsunamis.

“Looks like we’re not alone.” Matthew said.

Annie glanced down and suddenly grew nervous at the growing waves. “What’s that?”

Matthew laughed and smiled at her. “It’s only fish. Don’t worry.” He ducked his head under the water and hummed the Jaws theme tune, then launched up and grabbed her.

Annie yelled out in shock as he rose up beside her.

The look on her face made him laugh even more. “You’re so easy to scare.”

“You’re so childish.” She said, still smiling.

“So what now?” He asked.

“Well I might have had enough excitement for one night. I hope you aren’t disappointed.”

“That’s cool.” He waded out of the water. “So are you seeing anyone?”

“No. I have only had one boyfriend in High School, and we were like best friends. So it’s safe to say I’m not very skilled in the relationship department. But from the looks of you, there’s no possible way you aren’t.” She did her best to hide her shyness.

“I’m not very skilled either.”

“What no girlfriend ever?”

“Not really.”

“I find that hard to believe.” Suddenly the butterflies in Annie’s stomach got the better of her as he leaned in and kissed him.

Matthew didn’t expect her to instigate the sudden kiss as she stood clinging to his lips as if they were a life line.

“You gonna be alright getting home?” He asked.

“Yeah. If you want to you can send me pretty little texts tonight.”

“What kinda texts?”

“Whatever you send.” She gave him a smile before leaving for home, euphoric of the night she had just had.

Beach House

“Hey.” Xavier smiled at Ruby as he walked through the kitchen. “I got your message.”

“Hi.”

“What did you want to see me about?”

Ruby remained silent for a long moment, which made Xavier wonder if he’d done something to offend her. “I read the email.” She finally said.

“Oh. You’re ok with everything though right?”

She looked at him, her face full of consideration. “I wish there was an easier way of saying this.”

“You’re breaking up with me?”

“I can’t be with someone who keeps things from me.”

“I told you in the end. Can’t we work through this?”

Ruby shook her head. “It hasn’t been the same since we came back from L.A anyway.”

“You were fine earlier. It actually felt like things were back to normal, you seemed happy, well happier than you have been.”

“Well I’m not happy Xavier, far from it and I thought I could count on you.”

“You still can.”

“How can I when you keep things from me? I could have known about all this stuff with Charlie ages ago.”

“I was trying to help; besides it wasn’t my place to tell you.”

“You could have told me regardless.”

“I should probably go.” Xavier turned to leave.

“Go find someone else to lie to.”

Xavier looked at her for a passing second and headed out into the night.

Thanks guys. :) I'm glad you liked the Matthew/Annie scene, it was one of my favourite scenes to write. Now, I think you're going to be shocked with where things are heading next. :blink::o Indeed, so read on and find out what I'm talking about. :)

It's the night of the party that Dexter and Adrian mentioned chapters ago, seems like it's took so long to get to this point. Anyway this part is a short one though, but enjoy. :)

Chapter 11 – Part 1

Austin’s House

“Hey Xave. I didn’t hear you come in.” Gina said. “Are you ok?”

“It’s Ruby. She’s completely done a 180 on me by breaking up, all over that secret I’ve been keeping.”

“Oh sweetheart.”

“It didn’t make a difference what I said. She was pretty adamant in her decision. Fat lot of good all that always being there for her was. I really messed up by not telling her.”

“Sometimes people react differently to being told something; it’s still a raw subject for her at the moment. It’s not your fault she had a change of heart Xavier, and as much as it hurts, maybe it’s for the best.”

“For the best? How can you possibly say that? Ruby’s the love of my life.” Xavier bolted past John.

“Is something the matter there?” John asked.

Gina pointed in the direction of Xavier. “The course of true love never did run smooth.”

Macklin Development Office

Brett paced back and forth as he held a cordless phone to his ear. “I don’t care what it takes. Right now my image is garbage and my business needs profits, both make me an unhappy person Giles. We need to work on the project we have planned.”

A knock at the door caused Brett to stop.

“Brett.” Stacey spoke, poking her head round the office door. “Can I have a minute?”

“Hold on one second.” Brett said into the phone, he cupped his hand over the mouthpiece and looked at his sister. “I’m in the middle of something. Can it wait?”

“No, I don’t think it can. You have a visitor, Constable Jack Holden.”

A look of panic swept over Brett’s face as he took in the information. He signalled for Stacey to let Jack into the room and turned his attention back to the call. “I’m going to have to phone you back Giles. But listen, I want this taken care of.”

“Did I walk into something of importance?” Jack asked, as he watched Stacey close the door. “Treating the helpers like slaves I see.”

“Are you here to patronize me or is there another reason you’re here?”

“I’m following up an enquiry into the Henderson fire. There are flyers with your company name on them. I need to discuss it with you.”

Brett narrowed his eyes. “I’m sure we do.”

Nicole Franklin’s Party

As Adrian, Dexter, Matthew and Xavier made their way into the house they found, fifteen or twenty of their classmates gathered in the lounge, and out on the balcony.

“I can’t believe Nicole’s parents leave her all alone at night. Do they really think she isn’t going to have people over?” Adrian asked.

“Guess she had to inherit her brains from somewhere.” Dexter joked.

Adrian laughed. “I guess this’ll be fun.”

“Anything’s got to be better than spending time away from Ruby or stuck in my room.” Xavier said sadly.

“Sometimes people meet at parties.” Adrian smiled.

“Then it will be Ruby who.” Dexter added.

Xavier gave Dexter a glare.

‘Genius strikes again.’ Dexter thought, mentally kicking himself for the comment.

Almost immediately Nicole greeted them. “Hey guys. We have beer if you want one, just help yourselves.” She cast an eye on Matthew and embraced him in a hug.

Grasping his hand Nicole let him away from the group and out toward the deck.

“Why is she being so nice and open with him?” Dexter asked. “She’s usually horrible to everyone.”

Adrian sighed. “Dex, you are one lost innocent child.”

Meanwhile Matthew found himself sequestered with Nicole toward the end of the balcony.

“I’m really glad you could come.” Nicole said over the music.

“Yeah well, it’s not like I had anything else planned.”

“Wow, so full of enthusiasm.” Nicole flashed him a seductive smile. “There’s something I’d like to show you.”

Matthew looked over at the others as the song’s chorus kicked in and watched as Dexter and Xavier pointed to each other while they sang. “Heartbreak made me a killer baby, but I was born for this!”

Right now he decided Nicole’s offer of a distraction was a welcome one and followed her through the crowd.

“Don’t let the appearance fool you, it’s a house of horrors.” Nicole said as they made their way up the stairs.

Archived