The Fallout

Guest soph1303

So, thank the lord – I finished the last of my exams today :D!! Which means the that updates should be a lot more frequent now :). N.B I am bunged up with cold as I write this, so it probably won’t be my greatest work ever, but really wanted to get an update to you guys.

Chapter 2

Brax hesitated, key in hand, at the door of the Braxton household. He and Charlie had stayed hidden in the office, until Ruby had given them the all clear about 15 minutes later. Now, back at home, Brax was glad that he no longer had to hide his relationship with Charlie, but wary of the repercussions that would come his way from not only his mother and brothers, but the rest of the River-boys as well. Turning the key in the lock, Brax walked into the house he shared with his mother and brothers, with an air of bravery that wasn’t 100% truthful, and through into the kitchen. Here he was met by a stony silence from Heath, who was sitting at the kitchen table, nursing a beer with one hand, and glaring at his brother in obvious contempt.

Deciding the safest play was not to bring up the elephant in the room, Brax addressed another issue. “Where’s mum and Case?” he asked his brother.

“Mum’s doing her daily stint down at the pokies. And Case came back to get some stuff, and then he headed over with Buckton Jr back to her house. Why? Do you want to go see the other Buckton that you’re banging?” Heath asked angrily, his disgust and distaste for his brother’s choices clear in his voice.

Brax sighed. He should have known that Heath wouldn’t let the subject drop – subtlety had never been Heaths strongest asset. “Mate…“ Brax began, before he was cut off by his younger brother.

“I’m not your mate! Not when you’re sleeping with the pigs anyway,” Heath spat. “Seriously Brax, are you off your head or something? You’re a Braxton, and she’s a cop. We do not associate with cops ever. Or do you not even care about the boys anymore now that you’ve got a new toy to play with?”

Brax knew that trying to reason or use tact with Heath was a futile effort; so he instead tried a different approach. “Look Heath, I’m not asking you to understand what Charlie and I have, but I’m asking you to accept it. “

“You’re damn right I don’t understand it!” Heath yelled as he slammed his beer on the table – now so angry that he was standing glaring at his brother, fists clenched. “And there’s no bloody way that I’m going to accept it either, so until you remember where your loyalties lie, we’re through.” With one final glare at his brother, Heath swigged the remainder of his beer down before storming out of the house, slamming the door shut after him.

With another sigh, Brax walked to the fridge and got a beer of his own, before pulling out his phone and typing in Charlie’s name. Taking a sip, Brax clicked the connect button. Tapping his fingers lightly against the table, Brax waited for Charlie to pick up, and several moments later she did.

“Hey,” she answered. “I’m guessing you just talked to Heath. How did it go?”

Brax grimaced. “Not well. But then again, I’m not really sure that I even contemplated him ever taking it well. Case is at your place right? How’s he taking the news?”

He’s happy for us. Not as quite as excited as Ruby was, but I don’t think it’s going to be possible to top that though,” Charlie chuckled lightly for a moment before turning serious. “I can’t say the same for Morag though. She’s barely said two words to me since I got back.”

“She’ll get over it,” Brax reassured his girlfriend, all though deep down he was completely sure that this was true. Despite the fact he had only met his girlfriends stepmother on a few occasions, even from these brief meetings he had been able to sense that, when she wanted to be, Morag Belligham could a be a very unforgiving and formidable woman.

“Yeah I hope so,” Charlie sighed, though she too seemed uncertain. “Not sure what Leah and Miles think yet, Leah text me to say that she’s gonna stay at Mile’s tonight. I think she’s just trying to give me some space to work through it all.”

“Charlie, lets be honest here – we both know that Leah's fine with it. You’ve said before that she’s always hinting that you like me anyway,” Brax pointed out.

“True,” Charlie conceded. “Well I guess seeing as both Rubes and Case know now about us anyway, we can start having those sleepovers you were talking about earlier.”

Brax felt a grin form on his face. “Yes, we certainly can. I’ll be over in 20.”

Slowly pulling up to the station for her morning shift, Charlie tried to focus on the positives of her situation. She tried to focus on the fact that she and Brax could finally have sleepovers and had done so last night - resulting in them even being able to share breakfast together before her shift, instead of the fact that depending on people’s reactions – this might be her last shift. She tried to focus on Ruby and Casey’s positive reactions to the news, instead of Morag’s comment that her all her father had ever wanted was for his daughter to live a good life, and she was dishonoring her father’s memory by consorting with known criminals.

Charlie dawdled in her car for a few moments longer, before she finally turned off the engine and got out of the car, knowing that she shouldn’t delay the inevitable. As good friends as her and Georgie were, Charlie knew that Watson’s loyalty would always be to the force and that the rest of the station, and possibly even her superiors would know by now.

And sure enough, as Charlie walked in to the station, she was met with silence. As she looked around the station, all of her fellow officers quickly averted eye contact with Charlie as they saw her looking. Sighing, Charlie started making her way across to her office, before she heard her name being called.

“Sargent Buckton – a word if you wouldn’t mind?” came the voice of her superior, Inspector Joyce. Knowing the fact that Joyce was involved was not a good sign, Charlie forced a small smile onto her face as she followed him into his office.

Heath sat on his board in the ocean. There were plenty of waves further out, but he was too lost in his own thoughts to do anything more than sit stationary on his board as waves lapped over him. After storming out last night, Heath had met up with some of the boys who had not been at Angelo’s for the party, and had not heard the news. Even though deep down Heath knew that telling the boys would only cause more trouble, having consumed way over the recommended alcohol limit, Heath was not in the right headspace to see sense. Naturally the rest of the boys were as disgusted and outraged as he was. Knowing that he should let it go, actually finding people that seemed to share his horror of the coupling prevented Heath from doing so. Heath knew that Buckton wasn’t a bad person, and hey – maybe if she hadn’t have been a cop, even he might have gone for her. But the problem was that she was a cop. Which is why Heath felt justified in his actions, and why he was able to breeze over some of the darker threats against Buckton that some of the boys had made. Some of the threats that had mentioned preparing the pig for the slaughter.

Next Chapter:

*A decision is made about Charlie's police career.

*An act of anger from one of the riverboys could have disastrous consequences for Charlie. What will happen??

Thoughts??....:)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fantastic update, Soph, was well worth the wait! :)

I really hope that Leah does take it well. Charlie will need some support as most people will be against them being together and it's clear she is going to get some hating from Heath and the other river boys. I just hope they dont do anything to drastic. :( Not liking that Joyce wants to talk to her either, that isn't sounding great in terms of her job, poor woman. All she did was fall in love. :(

Update soon :)

glad that at least Casey took it well

didn't expect any thing less from heath but now I'm scared about what he is going to do or what the river boys will do :unsure:

hope Leah isn't avoiding Charlie because she objects to their relationship

I just hope what ever ppl throw at them that Chax will stick together

great chapter

update really soon :)

Hey, again sorry for the lack of updates. I will try and make Friday my usual updating day in the future :)

Warning: Some violence in this chapter.

Chapter 3

Taking a seat in the inspector’s office, Charlie shuffled nervously as Joyce closed the door and turned to face Charlie with unreadable eyes.

“So sergeant...” Joyce began, with an almost menacing undertone.

“Yes sir,” Charlie answered with confidence that she didn’t really feel.

“Constable Watson tells me that you are currently engaging in a relationship, with a one Daryl Braxton. A certain Braxton who also happens to be the leader of a gang. Is constable Watson, correct in this information?” Joyce asked in a weary tone.

“Yes sir,” Charlie replied again, determined not to lose her cool.

Joyce sighed. “You do realise the position you’re putting not only yourself, but the rest of the force, don’t you?”

“Sir, with all due respect,” Charlie began cautiously, and Joyce looked at her apprehensively. “But as of yet, Daryl Braxton doesn’t actually have a criminal record.”

“Yet,” emphasised Joyce. “And yes, whilst Daryl Braxton may not have a record, we both know that the same can’t be said for his younger brother.”

“But I’m not dating his younger brother,” pointed out Charlie. “Sir,” added quickly, noticing the Inspectors raised eyebrows. Keeping eye contact with Joyce, Charlie gaze never wavered, until at last the inspector sighed.

“Fine. Have it your way sergeant. But if I hear one word, ONE word about how you have let this relationship affect your judgement as an officer, then be prepared to face the full consequences of your actions. Do you understand?” Joyce asked sternly.

Trying to bite back the smile that was playing on the edge of her lips, Charlie nodded. ‘Yes sir.”

“You are also not to go near any Braxton cases, alright?” Joyce asked, and again Charlie nodded, knowing that this was better than she could have hoped for. “Alright sergeant, you’re dismissed,” Joyce motioned for her to leave. As Charlie left the office, Joyce’s parting words rang in her ears.

“Don’t make me regret this sergeant.”

“Mmm,” sighed Charlie. Her shift was over, and she and Brax were taking advantage of their new found freedom by soaking up some rays at the beach. Charlie’s head was resting on Brax’s chest, and she giggled lightly as Brax lent down, and kissed her neck suggestively. “I can’t believe that we’re actually doing this without having to worry about family or my bosses catching us.” Brax simply responded by continuing the kiss further. Charlie laughed as he pouted as she pushed him away. "I don't really think getting arrested for public indecency is going to help our case you know." Brushing sand off herself as she stood up, Charlie smiled down at Brax. "I'm supposed to be having dinner with Rubes tonight, so I should probably go."

"Well I guess, seeing as its your daughter you're ditching me for, I'll have to forgive you then, won't I?" Brax asked, standing up and wrapping his arms around his girlfriends tiny waist.

"Yes, I guess you will," Charlie grinned cheekily as Brax pulled her in for another kiss. Charlie allowed the kiss to continue for several moments longer, before relucantly pulling away. "Stop," she warned him sternly. "You're gonna make me late."

"5 more minutes?" Brax asked, as he kissed her again persuasively. Again Charlie felt her resolve crumbling, and pulled away again with a reluctant smile.

"No, come on. I know you have work to do at the restaraunt, and you don't want to give Angelo more of a reason to fire you, do you?" Charlie pointed out.

Brax pulled a face. "Angelo schmangelo," he muttered lightly, causing Charlie to chuckle. Sighing in defeat, Brax folded up his towel, and followed Charlie up to where her car was parked. Unlocking the door to the drivers side, Charlie threw her bag onto the passenger side, and slid into the car, closing the door behind her, but rolling the window down as to talk to Brax who was still making his way up the sand dune.

As he reached the top of the dune, Brax paused momentarily. A group of the boys were leaning against one of the cars across the lot. There was something unnerving about their silence and hostile expressions that made Brax think that now was not the time to approach. Glaring at Brax, one by one the boys got into the car and sped away. Finally reaching the car, Brax leaned his head through the open window to talk to Charlie.

"Listen, you be careful alright?" Brax told her, and Charlie looked at him in surprise.

"I do know how to drive a car Brax - I've been doing so since I was 16. I'll be fine," Charlie told her boyfriend slowly - the way one speaks to a slow todler.

Brax rolled his eyes. "Yeah I know that, it's just...." trailing off, Brax saw that Charlie was starting to look concerned. "Just text me when you get back ok? So that I know you're safe?"

Charlie was about to protest, until she saw the look of total seriousness in Brax's eyes. "Yeah, of course," she replied quietly. Brax did not answer, except to kiss her softly on the forehead, before retreating from the car. He watched until the blue car was out of eyesight. He couldn't explain why he had said the things he said, but he just had the gut feeling that something wasn't right. The immense anger from the boys he considered to be like his brothers was unnerving, and he couldn't help but wonder exactly how angry some of the boys were.

Opening the door to the house she shared with Ruby, Leah and VJ, Charlie couldn't help but let a small sigh of relief, as she lent against the door frame. Despite the fact that she had been part of the force since she was 18, seeing Brax let his guard down enough to display something close to fear for her safety, had put Charlie on edge. Trying to remind herself that she had been in worse situations then this, Charlie looked around in her bag for her phone. Fishing it out, she scrolled down to Brax's name.

I'm home now. You can stop worrying x

Walking into the kitchen, Charlie paused in front of her cupboards, screwing up her face at the thought of trying to cook dinner. Hearing footsteps behind her, Charlie assumed it was Leah - it was too quiet to be Ruby. She smiled lightly as she spoke. "I know it's my turn to cook tonight, but I was wondering..."

Charlie never finished her sentence as she felt a heavy blow collide with her head, the pressure and the shock of it sending her to the floor. Trying to recover from the shock, Charlie tried to get up, but was quickly sent back down again by a rain of blows to her body. Knowing that her attempts to fight back would be futile, and unable to catch her breath enough to scream, Charlie tried to protect her head and stomach by wrapping her arms around herself, in a featal like position, until eventually a blow to her head sent everything dark.

Several hooded figures walked away from the Buckton/Patterson-Baker residence, leaving behind an unconcious Charlie on the floor. The only sound that could be heard in the house was the occasional, quiet sound of droplets of blood hitting the floor.

Next Chapter:

*Charlie's life hangs in the balance. But will she be found before it's too late??

I know it's not much of a preview, but I don't want to give too much away. So I'll just run away and hide now....thoughts :D??

Archived