The Fallout

Guest soph1303

Story title: The Fallout (sequel to Birthday Surprises)

Type of story: Medium length fic

Main Characters: Charlie, Brax, Ruby, Casey, Heath and OC's

BTTB Rating: T/A

Genre: Romance/Family

Spoilers: No

Warnings: Mild SC and L, and some violence

Summary: They revealed their relationship to their friends and family in a moment of passion, but will their relationship be able to survive under the scrutiny and disapproval of both the bay and mangrove river?

Chapter 1

As Charlie stood with Brax, his arm wrapped tightly around her waist, she was starting to become increasingly aware of how deafening the silence in the room was becoming, and her once broad smile was starting to falter. Sensing Charlie’s obvious discomfort, Ruby decided to bite back her own shock, and step into save her mother.

So, umm……Charlie?” Ruby began, and despite the fact that Ruby had spoken quite softly, the shock of someone actually breaking the silence, caused a few people to jump. “Could I maybe talk to you…and Brax for a moment - in private?

Charlie nodded mutely, and Brax led her and Ruby to his office, leaving behind the remaining guests, many of whom seemed to be starting to find their voices, and ominous buzz of people muttering to each other was able to be heard. As Brax closed the door behind them, Charlie immediately detached herself from Brax, and backed away from him slightly, her hands on her head as she tried to comprehend the situation she had just gotten them into. Brax, sensing now was not the time to push it, walked over to his desk and leaned against it, his arms crossed over his chest as he stared at Ruby who was leaning against the door, waiting for her reaction. However Ruby’s face was unreadable, as she stared back and forth between Charlie and Brax. Deciding to take advantage of Ruby’s, for once, loss of words, Charlie decided it was now or never to try and get her side of the story in.

Look, Ruby –I’m really sorry. I know I made the whole deal the other day about having no secrets from each other, and then now I’m….” Charlie trailed off as a grin began to take over Ruby’s face. “What?” Charlie asked in confusion; she was still waiting for the mother of all hissy fits to be thrown by Ruby, and the smile on Ruby’s face contradicted this.

“Well, I can’t really say that I’m surprised actually,” Ruby spoke slyly. “I mean I knew that you had a man in your life, but I had no idea that it was Brax though.”

“So wait, you’re not all mad that I lied to you? Or that I broke promises?” Charlie clarified, still unsure as to whether she was actually reading the situation correctly.

“Well it’s not exactly like I don’t do those things either,” Ruby pointed out with a smirk on her face, seeing Charlie starting to open her mouth she quickly added “just kidding. But seriously though, I pretty sure that I’ve mentioned how similar you and Brax are, so I guess that’s why I’m not that shocked to find out that you and Brax have been getting it on in private.”

“Ruby!” Charlie reprimanded her as she gasped with embarrassment, the same could not be said for Brax though, who no longer able to hold back his amusement, let out a small snort of laughter, which was echoed by Ruby as she watched the look on Charlie’s face. “That's not funny.”

“Actually Charlie, it kinda is,” Brax laughed, and Charlie glared at him, until staring back at both of their faces, she couldn’t help but let out a small laugh too. She walked over to where Brax was leaning against the desk, took a pew next to him, and lent her head against his chest as he wrapped an arm around her shoulders gently.

“Do you guys want to get a room or something?” Ruby smirked, and Charlie could tell that she was only teasing, so she poked a tongue out at her daughter. “Oh I see how it is,” Ruby said indignantly, “I go through this huge emotional trauma of finding out my mother has a new boyfriend, and this is how I get treated?”

“Oh shut up Rubes,” Brax said goodnaturedly, and Ruby grinned back at him.

Charlie shook her head. “I can’t believe how well you’re taking this,” she admitted.

Ruby sighed. “Look Charlie, part of me is kinda pissed that you felt like you couldn’t tell me, but I do get it. I mean you have your career to worry about, as well as the likes of Colleen to deal with if she were to ever find out – good luck with that by the way – so I do understand. Besides it’s hard to be mad about something that’s made you smile more than I’ve seen you smile for a long time,” Ruby finished with a small smile. Silently walking over to her daughter, Charlie wrapped her arms around her as she engulfed her in a hug.

“When did you get so smart, eh?” she whispered, as she hugged Ruby fiercely.

“Oh mother, stop kidding yourself – I’ve always been this smart,” Ruby grinned as she hugged Charlie back. Pulling back from the hug, Ruby turned to face Brax with a grave look on her face, causing his smirk to falter slightly. “Now Brax,” Ruby began seriously. “As the only offspring, as far as I am aware of, of Charlotte Buckton – unless there’s something else you want to tell me?” she turned to Charlie, and looked at her accusingly.

Charlie just death stared her back. “No Ruby. Just No.”

Ruby stared at her for a moment longer, before shrugging and turning back to Brax. “So anway, as I was saying – as the only offspring of Charlotte Buckton, I feel that it is my duty to tell you that you treat my mother right or I will hunt you down, and kill you very slowly and painfully, alright?” Ruby asked, without a trace of laugher in her voice, causing Brax to gulp slightly, as he nodded. Ruby grinned. “Glad we got that sorted,” she said. “However I think I’ll give you guys a moment, and go and do some damage control outside”.

Giving her mother a kiss on the cheek and smiling at Brax, Ruby took her exit, leaving the remaining two people inside the room slightly dumbfounded. Charlie stared at the door for a moment longer, before turning back to face Brax. "Was that just me, or did that actually go pretty well?" she asked her boyfriend, who gave his answer by pulling her in for a kiss.

Next Chapter:

* Ruby has taken the new of the relationship well, but how will Charlie's other friends and family take it?

* Heath doesn't take the news well, and does something he will later regret. What is it?

* Charlie faces the repurcussions of her relationship at work.

So a nice fluffy chapter to start off with, but don't worry that won't last for long :lol:.

So....thoughts :D??

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived