Should they have created a new character for Georgie Parker?

Guest ter06

I can kind of see both sides of the argument.Yes, with a few rewrites, you could have Georgie Parker playing a new character and you could argue that she didn't have to be Roo.But then you could make that argument about pretty much any new or returning character:Did they have to make Miles Sally's brother?Did they have to make Sasha Sid's daughter?Did they have to make April the same age as Xavier and Dexter instead of Romeo and Indi?No, but that's what they did.Making her Roo gives her an instant connection with Alf and a reason for staying at the caravan park, it gives her a history with the town and with characters like Morag and Colleen.She doesn't really need to justify being Roo by behaving the same way she did in 1988 or 1989 or by telling people a story about the time she had a fight with Bobby or what Brett Macklin's up to these days once a week.

In fact, I think Roo is possibly one of the most successful returns:The way she behaves is a logical progression from the person she was when she left.Contrast with Will and Gypsy, who seemed to be written exactly the same as they were in 1998, ignoring the fact that they'd grown up a lot when we last saw them and would have done even further in the following eight years, resulting in fans finding that character traits that were acceptable as teenagers made them somewhat unlikeable and pretty poor parents as adults.With Marilyn, you can see the different writers pulling between writing her as the classic version of a ditzy blonde slightly out of touch with reality, as the more emotionally scarred person she'd likely be after everything she's been through(which seemed to be the idea of the private adoption storyline, except it was handled really badly)or as a generic adult character who could be anyone.

So, did they have to make her Roo?No.Was it a bad idea to make her Roo?On the whole, I don't think so.

I wasn't sure where else to put this, but as this is relevant to Roo, her history and family connections...

Isn't it weird that Roo/Alf/Xavier/Gina never mention Hugo or Martha? I know they have to be careful what they say, as they're criminals on the run. Hugo and Martha probably don't have much contact with their families back in SB, and you would expect the odd conversation between Gina and Roo about the situation, and how worried they must be for their whereabouts and safety. Wouldn't you?!

Archived