Irene's Children

Guest Edward Skylover

I was just wondering if anyone could explain to me what Irene's relationship is like with Nathan, Damien and Finlay? They haven't been seen for years and she doesn't seem to have a close relationship with them.

Surely it would benefit her if one of them returned? I've always thought that Irene took in foster kids as a way of coping with the fact that she failed with her own kids.

I was just wondering if anyone could explain to me what Irene's relationship is like with Nathan, Damien and Finlay? They haven't been seen for years and she doesn't seem to have a close relationship with them.

Surely it would benefit her if one of them returned? I've always thought that Irene took in foster kids as a way of coping with the fact that she failed with her own kids.

If memory serves, Nathan is a hardened criminal, Damien became a priest (I guess that means he could take over Elijah's role at the church) and Finlay is a mother. If we discount Irene's behaviour when she first appeared on the show, two out of her three kids are doing okay so she isn't that much of a failure.

Nathan's last stint in 2002 pretty much reformed him following his release from jail, though only after a bit more troublemaking, with his relationship with Irene very much improved by the time he left. I would have liked him and Grace (Nick's nurse with whom he started a relationship and moved to Alice Springs with) to stick around a bit longer. http://www.backtothebay.net/characters/roberts_nathan.shtml

Yes, I wrote some foilers a month or two ago and reintroduced Damien back into the show. It needs to happen asap. Edward, I think the fact that they haven't had anything to do with her in such a long time would be great fuel for an emotional return - to concentrate on how rubbish Irene's relationship is with her real kids. Instead of ignoring it like the current writers always want to do.

Yes, I wrote some foilers a month or two ago and reintroduced Damien back into the show. It needs to happen asap. Edward, I think the fact that they haven't had anything to do with her in such a long time would be great fuel for an emotional return - to concentrate on how rubbish Irene's relationship is with her real kids. Instead of ignoring it like the current writers always want to do.

You know I was just thinking this. If Damien WAS to return under the current writers, he would probably turn up at the door and Irene would be pleasantly surprised but more or less act like she sees him every few months in the city anyway. And like Gypsy he'd probably come and go without really having any effect.

I was going to suggest that a great storyline would have been for (establishing that Irene and Damien now have a very distant relationship) Irene to find out that Damien has kids of his own, and has for years kept this a secret from Irene. This would be heartbreaking for her but would give them a chance to explore the reasons why he would do this and that he hasn't quite got over his issues with how she treated him when he was a kid himself.

... But then I remembered that he became a priest so he probably wouldn't have any kids!

Has Irene mentioned any of her children in episodes of the last few years???

I think when Irene first found out she had cancer she had taken herself off to see Finn for a bit. The last time Finn was mention was in early 2008 when she and Irene set that bloke Dom up of screen. The one who was obsessed with Belle. Damien hasnt been mentioned since 98 when Will arrived claiming to be a friend of his.

I think this is all rather silly as the soul purpose for Irene to be in Summer bay and the show was to get her relationship with the kids back and be a loving Mum.

Has Irene mentioned any of her children in episodes of the last few years???

I think when Irene first found out she had cancer she had taken herself off to see Finn for a bit. The last time Finn was mention was in early 2008. Damien hasnt been mentioned since 99.

I think this is all rather silly as the soul purpose for Irene to be in Summer bay and the show was to get her relationship with the kids back and be a loving Mum.

Cheers for the info - I agree with you, I'm sure many fans would like to hear Irene speak of her kids.

Archived