If Vanessa Downing returned as Pippa

Guest Edward Skylover

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah it feels like the end of an era when Vanessa leaves. And then the beginning of a new chapter, despite nothing changing within the context of Summer Bay.

It is the end of an era for sure....my favouritism toward Vanessa stems mostly from nostalgia, so I'm not denigrating Debra's portrayal of Pippa in any way. Perhaps if Roger Oakley was still there when Debra took over, I might've accepted her more readily as Pippa. In such a short time we went from Pippa 1 & Tom to Pippa 2 & Michael (who doesn't impress me that much anyway) and I must've found this transition too annoying back in '91.

1991 is when I stopped watching H&A regularly because most of my faves were gone:- Martin, Lance, Tom, Andrew Foley, Pippa (original) and then Steven and eventually Carly & Ben too.....it will be interesting to see whether I stay the course (20 years on!!!) and continue to watch it if 7Two goes into 1991 & 1992.....

Perhaps I could be considered an 'Early, Early Years' fan - I only tuned again later when Irene & Fin appeared and then Vinnie Patterson. Adam, Steven and Dodge's returns rekindled my interest somewhat. Lost it again after Martin & Lance returned in 2000 and show only a slight interest in 2012....

The thing is Vanessa's Pippa seemed to come to such an abrupt end so surely there's more to her departure than meets the eye?

I mean, Tom died in 525, Pippa's gone by 586(?) and that's less than three months after Tom's death - surely when the producers decided to get rid of Tom Vanessa's contract would have been up at the same time so she would have agreed a 2 year contract or so then? I reckon she must have really not been enjoying it and went to the producers asking to be released from her contract early.

Was re-casting Pippa the only option the show had though? I think it was. Pippa was basically the main character after Tom left and if Pippa had departed, there's no way that Carly, Steven and Sally could have stayed on without her. Re-casting was the right option. I bet it was a complete nightmare for the producers at the time because I imagine there was a lot of controversy surrounding the re-cast. I'd love to see an interview with the producer at the time revealing why he/she/they decided to recast. Does anyone know if anything like this exists?

Vanessa Downing would be a great comeback, however due to the circumstances of her departure from the show (quitting because of Roger Oakley {Tom} being axed from the show) she wouldn't return

You don't know that. After all they managed to get Rodger Oakley himself back in 2008.

And where's your source that Vanessa definately left because of Rodger's axing as I'd be interested to read it :)

Archived