If Vanessa Downing returned as Pippa

Guest Edward Skylover

I know there's not really a reason for her to return at the moment but how would you feel if Vanessa returned as Pippa?

I think the show should bring back either Carly or Sophie as part of a family for Summer Bay House and to run the Caravan Park. If this happened, and the producers decided to bring back Pippa, would you want Debra Lawrence to return or would you prefer Vanessa Downing?

And if say, the producers asked Debra and she declined, would you then like Vanessa to return?

I personally feel that Debra has really made her mark on the role and it wouldn't work if Vanessa was brought back but it has happened in the past where a character has been recast back to the original (i.e. Sam Mitchell in EastEnders...not the best example but still)

I think I'd rather see Vanessa again than not see Pippa at all..

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know there's not really a reason for her to return at the moment but how would you feel if Vanessa returned as Pippa?

I think the show should bring back either Carly or Sophie as part of a family for Summer Bay House and to run the Caravan Park. If this happened, and the producers decided to bring back Pippa, would you want Debra Lawrence to return or would you prefer Vanessa Downing?

And if say, the producers asked Debra and she declined, would you then like Vanessa to return?

I personally feel that Debra has really made her mark on the role and it wouldn't work if Vanessa was brought back but it has happened in the past where a character has been recast back to the original (i.e. Sam Mitchell in EastEnders...not the best example but still)

All my dreams will have come true

I like the idea. Would defo bring things back full circle and its about time the caravan park felt like a family place and more central to the show again. I guess if Carly's family came back they would almost certainly have to re cast Ben. But that wouldn't be too bad.

Vanessa Downing hands down for me - but I'm realistic enough to know that for many younger fans and those who've never known Vanessa as Pip that it just wouldn't work.

Being a watcher right from the start, it was difficult for me to accept Debra Lawrence as Pip (at least initially anyway)....but many fans on the H&A forum here have grown up with Debra and the concept of any other actor portraying Pippa is probably abhorrent to them....

Personally it's Vanessa for me - but realistically if I were a producer wanting Pippa to return, I'd be chasing Debra Lawrence down, as many fans believe she is the real Pippa.....

Thanks for your replies guys. :)

It's a good job I'm not producer then because I think I'd get Vanessa back out of curiosity to what she'd be like in the role these days.

I have changed my avatar to Vanessa as a mark of respect and mourning for the transfer this week :)

Thanks for your replies guys. :)

It's a good job I'm not producer then because I think I'd get Vanessa back out of curiosity to what she'd be like in the role these days.

I have changed my avatar to Vanessa as a mark of respect and mourning for the transfer this week :)

Jolly good show Edward!!! Great to see someone else paying respects to the original Pip!!! Most people seem to be happy that she's departing so that Debra can take over :(

Well since it happened over two decades ago, there isn't much point in people being unhappy about her departure now. I'm looking forward to seeing how Debra took over the role again because it was quite a big thing back then and I want to see it happen all over again.

In regards to the original question. I'd love to see Vanessa in the role again, purely out of curiosity and nostalgia. But I'm not sure if it would seem a bit too wacky. I know it would be the character returning, but Debra made the role her own and whenever most people think of Pippa, I assume they immediately think DL.

I'd love for Carly and Ben to return and run the Caravan Park though. They both have that 'classic' H&A feel about them and could bring the family/warmth back into the show. The fact they've been married for such a long time is also a plus, we need a stable married couple. And they are a nuclear family, which would make a change.

You're right Alexx, there's not much point in people being unhappy about her departure - I'm just glad the 7Two repeat has given me the opporunity to see the original Pippa and be able to compare between the two now - it is true they are nothing like, but they can both be appreciate in their own way.

As it is Pippa week now, I think I'm going to keep this as my avatar then perhaps change to DL when she appears. I'm surprised to say this, because I've never even been a huge Pippa fan, but I am sad to see VD leave now. I'm looking forward to DL at the same time though.

Well since it happened over two decades ago, there isn't much point in people being unhappy about her departure now. I'm looking forward to seeing how Debra took over the role again because it was quite a big thing back then and I want to see it happen all over again.

In regards to the original question. I'd love to see Vanessa in the role again, purely out of curiosity and nostalgia. But I'm not sure if it would seem a bit too wacky. I know it would be the character returning, but Debra made the role her own and whenever most people think of Pippa, I assume they immediately think DL.

I'd love for Carly and Ben to return and run the Caravan Park though. They both have that 'classic' H&A feel about them and could bring the family/warmth back into the show. The fact they've been married for such a long time is also a plus, we need a stable married couple. And they are a nuclear family, which would make a change.

Give them 6 months and Ben would be cavorting about with Roo or Leah, or Carly someone like Sid or Axel.

Archived