Shadow of the Day

Guest mizziette

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you guys...Here's the next chapter...

TWENTY NINE

‘Buckton, quit daydreaming,’ the supervisor scolded and Ruby sighed as she stabbed another piece of rubbish with her stick. And she put it away in her garbage bag. It had been the same boring routine for the last hour walking along the beach paths and Yabee Creek Road; Ruby was beginning to feel exhausted.

Ruby wiped the sweat on her forehead with her forearm for what seemed like the hundredth time. It was quite cloudy for a summer day, it was humid but only slightly, certainly not enough to provoke such a reaction from her body. Still, Ruby felt sweaty and worn out, more so than usual. All the walking wasn’t helping.

‘God, why is it so hot?’ Ruby complained quietly to Elle. Luckily for Ruby, her friend Elle had also gotten community service for her drunken driving that night. It helped to have some company.

They were a good way away from the supervisor but they still kept their voices low, not quite a whisper but not at normal volume either. Elle scrunched up her nose in a scoff and winced as the bruise on her temple began to hurt from the movement. Ruby had asked about it but the bruise was explained away as falling down the stairs. Ruby found it hard to believe. ‘It’s actually pretty cool. It must be just you,’

Ruby looked at her friend and thought her vision blurred but it was barely a second so she dismissed it. Elle was right, it was only her. Ruby could feel her throat dry up. She tried to dry it with her saliva but it wasn’t helping. She wiped the sweat on her hands against the orange fluorescent vest. ‘I feel so horrible,’

‘It might’ve been the wine you drank this morning. You’re wasted.’ Ruby glared at her and Elle smiled. ‘I saw you drinking on the beach earlier. I would’ve joined you but I didn’t want to turn up to community service wasted. You probably shouldn’t have either. You could get into trouble if they catch you,’

‘It was only a little sip, I’m not drunk,’ Ruby slurred and took a step forward and nearly lost her balance. Her head was spinning. In reality, she’d taken three quarters of the bottle. Ruby blinked hard. ‘I’m so not drunk,’

‘Ladies!’ The supervisor yelled from a little further along the road side. ‘If I hear you gossiping again…’

‘Ruby?’ Elle gasped. The supervisor didn’t get to finish his scolding. If he did, Ruby wouldn’t have heard it. Ruby’s garbage bag lay discarded on the dirt, its contents spilling out of it. Her body lay unconscious by the mess.

The supervisor rushed over to the collapsed Ruby. He moved a distressed Elle to the side and nudged his charge. ‘Ruby, can you hear me? Ruby…Ruby…’

‘Ruby…Ruby… Can you hear me? It’s Leah.’ Ruby opened her eyes to find that she was lying on a hospital bed, Leah standing over her with concern in her eyes. She was no longer outside with Elle and the other women undertaking community service but alone in a room with Leah. She winced against the light and tried to speak but her mouth and throat was too dry.

Leah poured a glass of water and placed a straw to Ruby’s lips. ‘There, drink that, you need to keep hydrated.’

‘Wha…what happened?’ Ruby coaxed out coarsely.

‘You had a hypoglycaemic attack,’ Leah explained. ‘Rachel told me you had a large amount of alcohol in your system and not much food, you know you shouldn’t…’

‘Leah, I just really…’ Ruby was exhausted and parched and had an intense headache. She touched the side of her head and winced in pain. ‘Leah…’

‘You hit your head pretty hard when you collapsed onto the dirt. You twisted your ankle pretty badly as well on the way down.’ Leah sat on the bed beside her. ‘They want to keep you here for a couple days to make sure you’re alright,’

‘At least, I got out of clean up duty. I can’t do that with a broken ankle.’ Ruby joked weakly. She felt a little better than before but still a little weak.

‘This is serious Rubes. Did you skip breakfast?’ Leah was concerned when Ruby nodded. She held onto the girl’s hand and squeezed. ‘Ruby, you know how important it is for you to eat regularly, especially if you were planning on drinking so much, which is bad enough for you alone by the way without the added risk with your diabetes.’

‘You’re not my mother Leah,’ Ruby turned her head away. ‘I don’t need a lecture.’

‘Charlie would say the same if she were here. Ruby, talk to me, I know something’s wrong, I can’t help you if you don’t tell me.’

Ruby shed a tear. She thought back to her earlier conversation with Brax at the restaurant and shook her head. No one could ever know. She cleared the emotion off her face. ‘Leah, I’m fine. Really, I am. You don’t have to worry.’

‘Why didn’t you tell the supervisor you weren’t feeling well earlier?’

‘I didn’t realise. I haven’t had an attack in years; I didn’t think it would be my diabetes.’ Ruby closed her eyes against the pain from her head.

‘Diabetes isn’t just onetime thing rubes.’ Leah whispered caringly and rubbed Ruby’s back gently as if she were a child.

A small part of Ruby wanted to shun away from the motherly familiarity of Leah’s touch but the bigger part of her that missed Charlie craved it. Needing to feel loved for a little while, Ruby let Leah rub her back until the pain slightly subsided.

Charlie would have gone straight to her engagement party if not for the phone call. If not for that one call, Charlie might never have run into Grant that day by the beach. The phone call had gone unanswered and there was only a voice mail. Charlie, its Bianca, I miss you, I’m so sorry about…please, can we talk? The beach paths near my house-1:30? You don’t have to say anything…I promise, just please…hear me out. Please…’

Charlie and Brax’ engagement was the catalyst which prompted Bianca into messaging her. After so long, it still hurt that Bianca had to find out about the engagement from Irene. The time when Bianca would have been Charlie’s first confidant was over. So when she’d heard the news, she knew she had to fix the friendship before it really was unfixable. When Bianca heard the news of her death, however, she was overcome with guilt.

It was Bianca that Charlie was meant to meet by the beach walkways that afternoon and Bianca who was late. Albeit for a reason, it still didn’t put her mind from believing that she might’ve been able to prevent the tragic events of that day.

‘Bianca, you can’t just leave. Your dad’s on the phone.’ It was her father who’d deterred her that day. Adrian Salvatore and his white collar problems just couldn’t wait until after. Bianca was almost ready to leave to meet Charlie, her keys in hand when Irene informed her of the call. April and Darcy were just outside, hanging out on the secluded beach.

‘Tell him I’ll call him back,’ Bianca didn’t want to be late.

‘He says it’s important, love.’ Irene sighed and handed the phone over to her. Bianca looked at her watch; she was supposed to meet Charlie in ten minutes. Any longer and she’d be late for her own engagement party.

‘Adrian, I’m just about to head out,’ Bianca had given up on calling the man dad years ago. Why bother if he wasn’t going to act like a father?

‘Tesoro, just hear me out,’ Adrian begged sweetly, all the way from Venice. He only ever called when he needed something. ‘Only a second, for your papa,’

And she’d listened while she watched the minute hand on her watch weasel its way clockwise on the face. She listened and she’d paid attention to her intolerable father instead of being where she had promised to be, unaware that her friend was losing her life. It had turned out Adrian had wanted nothing more than what he always wanted, to exploit his daughter. It was a conversation they never needed to have.

‘Bianca, I just need to get this account up and running again and the money will be back to you,’ Adrian had sweet talked and it was the last time she’d fall for it. ‘Ti amo, Bianca, for your old man…’

Bianca had never gotten her money back. And now, because she’d abandoned Charlie yet again for her father’s meaningless words, Bianca wouldn’t get Charlie back either. If she’d made a different decision all those years ago, she might never have lost both.

‘Bianca, babe, what’re you so lost in thought about?’ Bianca snapped out of it and saw that Liam was lying next to her gazing at her from the other side of the bed. Liam smiled. ‘They’re going to call; we just need to have faith,’

Bianca looked at the alarm clock; it was only a little past six. She had a while to go before the staff meeting. Liam was reassuring her about the adoption but Bianca still had her mind on her previous thoughts. Adrian Salvatore had embezzled money from his own daughter among hundreds of others. Even after three years, the thought of it still hurt. The fact that she’d spent the precious moments of Charlie’s life being conned by her father hurt even more.

‘I wasn’t thinking about that,’ Bianca whispered. She shook off the negative feeling and turned to face Liam with a forced smile. ‘Just daydreaming, that’s all,’

‘Picturing what our baby might look like?’ Liam asked. He certainly was.

‘Ugh! I look like a try hard!’ Both Bianca and Liam smiled knowingly at the shouting from downstairs. A few seconds later, they heard the stomping on the stairs and then the bedroom door opened. April stood at the doorway in a pencil skirt and blouse, exasperated.

‘Excited for your first day at work, are we?’ Bianca asked as April stormed over to the wardrobe and started anxiously stifling through her sister’s clothes.

‘What do doctors wear?’ April complained and held up a sweater only to throw it onto the floor behind her. It was her first day at the hospital as a full-fledged intern and it was nerve wracking. She wondered why she’d never paid attention to Rachel’s work attire.

‘I’m guessing scrubs,’ Liam watched as April made a pile on the floor with his wife’s clothes.

‘I need something professional but I look like a little girl playing dress up. Where’s that red dress you always used to wear to work? That would be perfect.’

‘April, you’re going to be fine. Just dress comfortably, especially the shoes. You’ll be walking around.’ Bianca reassured her. ‘And Dex is a nurse. He’ll be there.’

April turned to look at the bed where Bianca and Liam were. ‘I need to make a good first impression. You know how important those are.’

‘I think you made a good impression during work experience last year and your job interview. You got the job so I think it’s safe to say they like you.’

April sighed. They didn’t understand. This was the first time she’d ever be working as a real doctor at a real hospital. As excited as she was at the prospect, she couldn’t screw it up.

Interesting stuff with Charlie there. Not too sure if it was Grant who killed her or not now. love the mystery of it all. :D Maybe Darcy saw some more of what happened after Grant and Charlie had their fight but has blocked it out?

Aww poor Bianca and Ruby.

Thanks guys, here's number thirty...

THIRTY

‘Ruby, you look so so terrible!’ Jade gasped sadly and climbed on to the chair so she could reach the hospital bed and hug her sister.

Ruby laughed as she reciprocated the hug. ‘That’s real sweet of you honey,’

‘Dad says you got attack by happy glassy Mia.’ Jade was sitting on the chair on her knees and leaning her elbows against the bed. ‘I hope she don’t get me,’

‘I keep telling her hypoglycaemia’s an illness but…’ For the first time Brax spoke up.

‘Kids,’ Ruby finished for him. She turned back to Jade. ‘Are you ready to go to kindergarten tomorrow?’

Jade’s eyes lit up for the first time. ‘Oh yeah, am I ever! I got new Ladybug bag and Willy the whale lunch box and lots of things,’

‘Sounds like you’re all ready to me.’ Ruby smiled.

‘Rubes, how come you don’t have kitchen? My tummy’s all rumbly.’ Jade curiously looked around the small hospital room.

‘April’s sitting at her desk just outside the door. Why don’t you ask her to take you to the vending machines?’ Brax hovered behind Jade and lightly touched her shoulder. Jade popped out of her chair eagerly and let Brax lead her to the hall. Once Brax made sure Jade was with April, he turned his attention to Ruby. ‘How’re you feeling?’

‘Like an invalid.’ Ruby groaned lifting up her ankle in its cast. ‘This has to stay on for two weeks. I can barely walk.’

There was some hesitation but Brax needed to ask. ‘Ruby, you weren’t drinking because of what happened were you? Because, you know, it’s not anyone’s fault.’

Ruby gulped. ‘I needed a pick me up before community service, that’s all. It’s no big deal.’

‘Okay,’ Brax accepted it for now. ‘I think we just need to forget about anything that may or may not have happened with you and move on,’

‘You’re the one, who keeps bringing it up,’ Ruby pointed out weakly. She was very uncomfortable with the conversation. After yet another long pause, she added. ‘This doesn’t make us friends or anything. I still don’t like you. I just needed to talk to someone and you were there after the whole Grant thing.’

They spent the next couple minutes in an awkward silence while they waited for Jade to return. Brax walked over to the window and watched the vehicles in the hospital car park go in and out. ‘I keep seeing Charlie sometimes,’

Ruby barely heard it, Brax’ voice had barely been a whisper. It took a moment for her to figure it out and she nodded sympathetically. ‘Yeah, I know what you mean,

‘No, Ruby, I see her, she’s so real,’ Brax turned around. He glanced at Ruby desperately, begging her to understand his dilemma.

Ruby smiled softly and nodded again. ‘Sometimes, I feel like every tall brunette walking down the street is mum. Then I go up to them and it’s a stranger and they look at me like I’m crazy,’

Brax looked at his feet with his hands in his pockets and shook her head. Ruby didn’t understand. So he gave up.

April entered back with Jade. Jade gleamed with joy. ‘Look, I got red jelly,’

‘I thought jelly might be a lot tastier than the vending machine stuff.’ April smiled and quietly shut the door behind her. Jade took a mouthful of her spoon and sucked the jelly off the spoon eagerly.

‘Yummy?’ Ruby asked, faking a smile and wiping the lone tear that had slipped down her face earlier. Jade nodded happily.

‘Why are you still here?’ Brax and Charlie were lying on the floor side by side, staring at the ceiling. This time around, Brax was a lot wearier of Charlie being there. He knew better. ‘Don’t you have anyone else to haunt?’

‘No one as gorgeous as you,’ Charlie answered. She turned her head to look at him. ‘Are you trying to get rid of me Braxton?’

‘No, of course not,’ Brax thought about it for a second longer. ‘Yes, maybe, I don’t know. All I know is this shouldn’t be happening. I miss you but…’

‘Then stop thinking so hard about it and just let it be.’ Charlie suggested. The doorbell rang.

Brax sat up and glanced down at Charlie. ‘That’ll be Rachel bringing Jade back from her play date with Harry. I should get that,’

As Brax opened the front door, he silently willed it that Charlie would be gone for the time being. At least while Rachel was around. Rachel stood on the porch with Harry and a very weak looking Jade. ‘Hey gorgeous, you don’t look too good, eh,’

‘She was alright the first half hour or so playing with the board games but she’s been tired and weak ever since. I thought I’d bring her home early. She might be coming down with something.’ Rachel had her hand on Jade’s shoulder protectively as Jade leaned into her leg.

On noticing her father, Jade sluggishly dragged forward and hugged Brax’ leg with a down turned lip, ‘Daddy, I have naptime now,’

Brax picked up his daughter in his arms and checked her forehead. ‘Your forehead seems fine. Are you tired?’

Jade nodded. Harry went and tugged Jade’s foot gently. ‘Bye-bye Jade. See you in kinder!’

Jade waved weakly and closed her eyes, face tucked into Brax’ neck. Brax turned to Rachel. ‘Thanks for bringing her home, eh.’

‘Any time, you’ll tell me if she gets worse?’ Brax nodded. ‘I’ll see you later, okay Jade?’

‘Bye,’ Jade whispered quietly.

‘Bye,’ Brax said as Rachel and Harry began going down the front yard to their car. Brax looked at Jade who looked quite pale. ‘Come on, I guess one afternoon nap couldn’t hurt.’

When he went inside and proceeded to tuck in Jade in her bed, Brax was a mixture of relieved and disappointed in finding the house a little too empty. For the time being, Charlie wasn’t there.

As he trimmed the rose bush in his front yard, Jake couldn’t help focussing on his neighbour across the street. Elle with her obscure bruises suddenly piqued his interest; her entire demeanour had changed over the past two weeks and he needed to know what was troubling her mind. Maybe it was the lack of entertainment that had warranted this interest in Jake’s neighbours, and Jake needed to focus on something in his confinement or go crazy.

As he cut the stem of a freshly bloomed rose, Jake noticed that Elle was hastily taking out the trash, her messy blonde hair messier than usual, and her mascara drying on her cheeks, the bruise on her eye yellowing in its healing process. Ever since Jake had seen her return home in a similar state, weeks ago in the early moments of morning, he felt intrigued.

Elle practically flung the garbage bag into the rubbish bin on the sidewalk and turned around hastily to run back to the house, not noticing the item that fell out of it. Jake, however, noticed all too well. As Elle’s front door slammed shut, Jake squinted to read the label of the packaging discarded by his neighbour: a pregnancy test. Jake raised his eyebrows and smirked.

‘Little Ellie all knocked up? What a surprise,’ Jake provided his sarcastic opinion to no one in particular as he plucked a weed from the grass.

His mind couldn’t help but turn to the existence of his own child. Jake knew he’d never have a relationship with the Buckton baby, he didn’t even know her name; only that it was a girl. It was a daughter. Children were never in the plan for Jake so the lack of interaction meant little but his mind wandered towards the topic every now and then briefly.

What annoyed him more than anything was that a Pirovic was being raised as a Braxton. It wasn’t right. Still, there was nothing Jake could do about it.

Jake went inside into his dark house with his wooden panelled walls and placed his gardening gloves onto the table. The blinds were shut but being as broken as they were, lines of light radiated from the holes dimly.

Walking over to the record player, he put the needle onto the vinyl disc and whistled to the Otis Redding record with all the beauty of the crackles and pops from the record player in between. Jake had always been a fan of the sixties music; Roy Orbison, Bob Dylan, Elvis Presley and the like. And the record player; well that was how music was meant to be listened to. Raw and real,

As the crackly music played softly, Jake stood in the open plan kitchen and examined the roses in his hand which he’d just plucked from his bushes. They were impeccable as always. Maybe he’d give them to his mum. He shrugged and turned on the tap to fill a vase. The vase hit the base of the sink with a thud.

Jake himself, could feel the thud thud thud of his own heart beating a little erratically. The vase had thudded onto the sink from the distraction of the crunching pain in his chest. Jake winced and could barely stay upright. Eventually, he had to give in and leaned his back against the cupboards, one hand protectively over his heart.

‘Help,’ Jake’s voice was coarse and barely audible. He couldn’t speak. Randomly, Jake realised that the last thing he’d said to his mum was, ‘Can you get me some groceries?’ He had hoped his last words to Valerie would be something a little less mundane and a little more meaningful. I love you mum; I’m sorry, Thank you for loving me so unconditionally, all much more profound yet Jake thought; what if he never got the chance to say them. He was after all, all alone.

The deep melody of Redding’s voice crackled into noise and the tap flooded down warm water into the sink, filling higher and higher with each painful second Jake’s heart clenched. With some considerable effort, Jake reached for his phone on the counter and it fell onto the floor beside him. The roses fell with it; he was showered in roses. Weak fingers made it difficult to dial the three little numbers but Jake was determined not to die alone without a fight.

Jake saw a black spot loud his vision as the pain in his chest grew stronger. He worried if this was finally it and went into a scared panic. What if this was actually it? His breathing fastened even more than it already did. And out of all the fear, he came to a realisation.

No, Jake was not a quitter. Jake was a fighter. And as most fighters tended to do, Jake would once again fight. Fight for his life. Fight until his death. He was stronger than this. To die as a recluse beaten by his own body would not do. Jake would die with honour. That he vowed.

And then the world went black.

Archived