Shadow of the Day

Guest mizziette

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the comments everyone. I've been a little busy so it's a little shorter. Hope it's okay.

TWENTY SEVEN

‘You’re sure that Ruby left the house at four am that night?’ It was almost the end of the interview and Xavier felt rather odd spending the latter half of his shift sitting on the opposite end of the interview table. He was used to being the one doing the interrogation, not the other way around.

‘Yeah,’ Xavier restated, looking at the clock; he wanted this to be over with; he couldn’t be late. ‘Jade woke up five minutes after with a nightmare about drowning. We stayed up for a while before she went to sleep.’

Watson nodded with a sigh. ‘Thanks constable. I’ll let you know if I need anything else verified.’

Xavier stood up with her. It looked like they were finally finished. At the door, he turned to look at her. ‘Listen Sarge, Ruby’s not in any trouble, is she?’

‘That’s what I’m trying to work out Xavier.’ Watson’s mind was busy collaborating and connecting information as she spoke. Ruby had said she’d been out only a couple hours before sunrise yet Xavier had just stated that she was out at four am. Considering Grant had been caught on a car park security camera at four fifteen meant Georgie couldn’t rule her out as a suspect.

When Xavier finally got into his red SUV, he kept looking at the stereo clock. It was nearly noon; if he didn’t get to the court house soon, he’d be late for Ruby’s court case. It was an awkward experience. Not only did he want to be there for support but as one of the arresting officers, he was required to be there. The last week had drawn them closer than ever and especially after the chaos of finding Grant’s body in the bushes by the beach the previous night, Xavier worried about her.

‘The defendant was disoriented and euphoric; and she was seated on the lap of a male in the front seat without a seat belt.’ Xavier didn’t want to think about Ruby with that Hunter guy as he sat on the witness stand recounting the events of her arrest but he had to. ‘We ran blood tests which indicated dosages of illegal amphetamines and illegally produced amphetamines were found in the hip pocket of her dress. My colleague subsequently charged her with possession and breaking road laws.’

Xavier sneaked a look at Ruby sitting at the defence table with Morag and she smiled understandingly at him. She knew he was just doing his job. Xavier snuck a smile back. He barely noticed Morag’s responses as he answered what was required and moved out of the witness box. Time flew fast.

‘Ruby Buckton, I am sentencing you to two hundred hours community service for the charge of possession and the required five hundred dollar fine for the traffic misdemeanour. In addition, you will attend mandatory narcotic information and support sessions for a minimum of eight,’ the judge raised his eyebrows meaningfully at Ruby and banged his hammer on the table. It was settled.

The formality of the words and the finality of the banging brought back memories which unsettled Ruby. At Grant Beldcoe’s sentencing, it had been the same judge that had just given Ruby two hundred long tedious hours of community service. And the words he spoke still resonated with her.

‘Grant Bledcoe, you are hereby sentenced to three years in prison for the crimes of breaching an AVO and assault.’ If Ruby had her way, the outcome would have been very different. She could remember the outrage welling up inside her when the judge had sentenced Grant three years ago. As Grant stood there in the courtroom with his black and blue bruises, courtesy of Brax; Ruby had just wanted to do hurt him.

In Ruby’s mind, Grant had been instrumental in the death of her mother. The judge that thought differently was all kinds of wrong according to her but she had never been in control. Grant had gotten three years, but to Ruby, a little part of her always felt cheated by the lack of justice. Even if Charlie was alive, Grant needed to be put away for plenty more than that. It was unfair.

When Brax told Ruby the previous night that Grant Bledcoe had died; a little part of her felt glad for the fact. This however, did not stop Ruby from feeling like she had suddenly been sucked into a black hole. The what if’s amounted up in her brain and she couldn’t help realise that things would just get darker.

For the first time since her arrest, Ruby finally realised the reality of her situation. God, she hoped she wouldn’t have to pick up rubbish on the sides of streets in some hideous fluorescent orange vest. So long as Ruby was assigned to something routinely boring instead of manual labour in the streets where anyone could see her, she’d force herself through it. Not that it was her choice. She would be forced through it either way.

‘Xavier,’ Ruby smiled and hugged him briefly. ‘Two hundred hours,’

‘That’s what, only a couple months if you take long doses of it.’ Xavier reassured her but it seemed to make it worse.

‘That sounds fun!’ Sarcasm spat out of Ruby’s mouth and she sighed whiningly. On top of spending the morning at the police station answering questions on her whereabouts, she had to deal with court. It was turning out to be a terrible day.

‘Listen,’ Xavier got serious. ‘I heard about Grant’s murder when I got into work this morning,’

‘Yeah, I can’t say I’m grieved by it,’ Ruby admitted. Her mind had been reeling all night after Brax returned from the police station and all morning after she’d been called into the interview room herself. She cursed Grant for his bad timing. If no one had ever found his body, Ruby would be a happy woman.

‘They questioned me to confirm your alibi,’

Ruby glanced up nervously at him but he didn’t seem to pick up on it. ‘What did you say?’

‘That I was with you most of the night and you went for a walk early in the morning,’ Xavier told her. ‘That’s what happened right?’

Ruby nodded with a sigh. ‘Yeah,’

‘Don’t worry about it, it’ll be fine. They’ll find the real killer and leave you alone, I’m sure.’ Xavier put his arm around Ruby and held her to his chest reassuringly. Ruby nodded again, still unconvinced.

‘The last time I had this much interaction with the police, it was after Charlie…’ Ruby couldn’t finish the sentence. She closed her eyes. ‘It hits too close to home,’

Xavier had never considered this but it made sense. A police investigation into the death of her parent; Ruby might not have been a suspect with regards to Charlie but Grant’s death still held the same resemblance. Xavier felt the wetness of a tear on his police shirt and the polyester blend was dampened and cool on his skin. He rubbed Ruby’s hair and wished he could make it go away. In fact, he vowed to make it go away.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVED that ~!!! Two ACE updates, especially …..

 The shouting was unmistakable to Darcy. Looking back down the beach at an oblivious April, she peered into the bushes towards the direction of the sound. That was when she heard Charlie.

‘I told you to stay away! Grant, don’t you mess with my family,’ Charlie was really fired up at the man next to her. Darcy noticed that the man had similar hair to Ruby and he looked just like her uncle Brax’ business partner. But Brax’ business partner was called Ethan not Grant.

 On the other side of the bushes, Darcy decided it was time to get some help and ran over to April. ‘April, you have to come,’

‘I’ll play with you later, Darcy,’ April was busy nose down inside her textbook studying. She didn’t even glance up.

Darcy held onto April’s arm and pulled. ‘No, now, we have to go to Charlie.’

April pried the little fingers off her arm and sighed in annoyance. ‘Charlie’s at her engagement party. Its adults only, remember? You have to stay here with me.’

‘But…’ Darcy sighed.

‘Look, we’ll go congratulate Charlie later, promise.’ April smiled reassuringly at Darcy, completely unaware of the severity of Darcy’s words. ‘I’m sure they’ll go to your dad’s house after the restaurant. We can meet her there when I drop you back.’

April returned to her book and Darcy was left to her own devices. She anxiously looked back in the direction where she had just left Charlie and back at April. She couldn’t help worrying.

 ‘I’m not nervous. I just don’t like being dragged away from my daughter’s show to be forced to answer ridiculous questions.’ Brax crossed his arms and smiled coolly. ‘Especially when I didn’t do what you’re accusing me of,’

‘So he can speak. What you’re saying is you didn’t murder the man who raped your girlfriend?’ Watson delivered her accusation quickly and abruptly.

 ‘Were you with anyone the night of the murder?’

‘Yeah, I was with Charlie,’ Brax immediately inhaled and wished he hadn’t opened his mouth the minute he said it. He hadn’t been thinking. He put one hand on his forehead cursing himself or behind so stupid. The officers were raising their eyebrows. ‘Uh, I mean…oh great,’

‘Charlie? Your dead girlfriend,’ Watson was a little put off by the answer but recovered quickly. She turned her head to Avery. ‘Constable, it seems we’re going to need an Ouija board to contact Mr Braxton’s alibi for confirmation. Or maybe one of the Halliwell sisters to cast a summoning spell. Do you think the netherworld has a different time zone to Eastern Australia?’

 After a deep breath, he opened them and his heart leapt as he smiled. Behind Watson stood Charlie smiling supportively at him; she had returned. Suddenly, Brax felt a little more confident. Now that Charlie was back, he felt a little more able to handle the situation he had been thrust into.

 Ruby scoffed; her hands fiddling on her lap under the table. ‘It’s also no secret “my father” as you persist on calling him, raped my mother. You can understand my apprehensions towards him, I’m sure.’

 This was what she’d been dreading. Ruby took a deep breath. ‘I went for a walk to clear my head,’

‘Didn’t your mother ever tell you not to walk alone in the middle of the night?’

‘I don’t know, my mother’s not exactly around anymore. Look, Xav and I had just…you know for the first time in ages and my sister had nearly drowned and I was angry at Brax and I had a lot on my mind.’

 Watson put two and two together. So Ruby and Brax had both been at the graveyard around the same time. ‘Where on the beach were you?’

‘The part with all the sand on it,’ Ruby sighed. ‘I don’t know, it all looks the same to me,’

Out of poetic justice, Grant Bledcoe had died in relatively the same area of beach as Charlie had; he had been hidden in the bushes for two weeks before Colleen uncovered him. Watson didn’t think Ruby could’ve dragged the body herself but she had to look at all possibilities.

 Watson thought this over. Ruby wasn’t sure about the time but seeing how the sun had risen at seven twelve that morning; Ruby would have to have left the house around five. If everything checked out, Ruby would be in the clear.

 he’d be late for Ruby’s court case. It was an awkward experience. Not only did he want to be there for support but as one of the arresting officers, he was required to be there. The last week had drawn them closer than ever and especially after the chaos of finding Grant’s body in the bushes by the beach the previous night, Xavier worried about her.

‘The defendant was disoriented and euphoric; and she was seated on the lap of a male in the front seat without a seat belt.’ Xavier didn’t want to think about Ruby with that Hunter guy as he sat on the witness stand recounting the events of her arrest but he had to. ‘We ran blood tests which indicated dosages of illegal amphetamines and illegally produced amphetamines were found in the hip pocket of her dress. My colleague subsequently charged her with possession and breaking road laws.’

Xavier sneaked a look at Ruby sitting at the defence table with Morag and she smiled understandingly at him. She knew he was just doing his job. Xavier snuck a smile back. He barely noticed Morag’s responses as he answered what was required and moved out of the witness box. Time flew fast.

‘Ruby Buckton, I am sentencing you to two hundred hours community service for the charge of possession and the required five hundred dollar fine for the traffic misdemeanour. In addition, you will attend mandatory narcotic information and support sessions for a minimum of eight,’ the judge raised his eyebrows meaningfully at Ruby and banged his hammer on the table. It was settled.

The formality of the words and the finality of the banging brought back memories which unsettled Ruby. At Grant Beldcoe’s sentencing, it had been the same judge that had just given Ruby two hundred long tedious hours of community service. And the words he spoke still resonated with her.

‘Grant Bledcoe, you are hereby sentenced to three years in prison for the crimes of breaching an AVO and assault.’ If Ruby had her way, the outcome would have been very different. She could remember the outrage welling up inside her when the judge had sentenced Grant three years ago. As Grant stood there in the courtroom with his black and blue bruises, courtesy of Brax; Ruby had just wanted to do hurt him.

In Ruby’s mind, Grant had been instrumental in the death of her mother. The judge that thought differently was all kinds of wrong according to her but she had never been in control. Grant had gotten three years, but to Ruby, a little part of her always felt cheated by the lack of justice. Even if Charlie was alive, Grant needed to be put away for plenty more than that. It was unfair.

When Brax told Ruby the previous night that Grant Bledcoe had died; a little part of her felt glad for the fact. This however, did not stop Ruby from feeling like she had suddenly been sucked into a black hole. The what if’s amounted up in her brain and she couldn’t help realise that things would just get darker.

For the first time since her arrest, Ruby finally realised the reality of her situation. God, she hoped she wouldn’t have to pick up rubbish on the sides of streets in some hideous fluorescent orange vest. So long as Ruby was assigned to something routinely boring instead of manual labour in the streets where anyone could see her, she’d force herself through it. Not that it was her choice. She would be forced through it either way.

 She cursed Grant for his bad timing. If no one had ever found his body, Ruby would be a happy woman.

 Xavier had never considered this but it made sense. A police investigation into the death of her parent; Ruby might not have been a suspect with regards to Charlie but Grant’s death still held the same resemblance. Xavier felt the wetness of a tear on his police shirt and the polyester blend was dampened and cool on his skin. He rubbed Ruby’s hair and wished he could make it go away. In fact, he vowed to make it go away.

Hey, thank you for the lovely comments

TWENTY EIGHT

Even though there was an empty spot where Charlie used to sit, a girls’ night at Angelo’s was exactly what was needed for a nervous Bianca who still hadn’t heard back from the adoption agency.

‘Maybe they don’t like me,’ Bianca whined and stirred with the umbrella on her non-alcoholic drink. ‘They don’t like me and they found some nice couple living in a nice big house with a white picket fence and a lawn and a friendly dog that never barks in the middle of the night to wake all the neighbours and doesn’t have any emotional baggage.’

Rachel rolled her eyes and rubbed Bianca’s back. ‘I thought we agreed you weren’t going to obsess what you can’t control tonight. Tonight’s about taking your mind off the stress, not obsessing.’

‘Exactly, so no stressing,’ Leah gleamed. ‘Have fun!’

Bianca smiled but only barely. ‘How about I get another round?’

‘Now you’re talking,’ Leah looked behind her where Brax was working at the bar and sighed. ‘Do you think he could have done it?’

‘Honestly, I don’t know,’ Bianca shook her head. They were talking about Grant. ‘He’s capable of it, but whether he did; that’s a big accusation Leah.’

‘I’m not saying he did, I’m just…putting words out there, I guess.’ Leah explained.

Rachel took another sip from her glass. ‘Putting that aside, Brax has been acting a little strange lately. It’s like he’s done a complete emotional makeover. The depression seems to have almost disappeared after the body was found. He’s gone from depressed to temperamental. One minute he’s happy and the next he’s snapping at everything.’

‘Well, I thought we weren’t going to think about what we can’t control tonight,’ Bianca changed the subject. ‘I’m going to go get another round of drinks.’

‘Sounds good to me,’ Rachel smiled and turned to Leah when Bianca sauntered off to the bar. ‘I heard VJ got accepted into some aquarium program. You must be so proud.’

‘Yeah,’ Leah sighed and admitted for the first time. ‘It’s a great opportunity for him.’

‘You don’t look too happy about it,’ Rachel observed.

‘No, of course I’m happy, it’s just…he’s my little boy, you know.’

Rachel laughed. ‘Yeah, I get that feeling with Harry sometimes too. He’s at that age where he just wants to do all these independent things and it’s a little scary sometimes.’

‘It’s a little scary all the time,’ Leah clarified immediately. ‘It doesn’t matter if they’re eight or eighteen, you’ll ever stop worrying,’

‘Thanks for the little insight to my future.’ Rachel joked. ‘No, I think it’s just a matter of letting go. When it’s time, you just have to leave them alone, even though it kills.’

Leah nodded just as Bianca came back with three glasses. Rachel was right, it was time to let go. Problem was, Leah didn’t know how. VJ was more than ready but Leah didn’t know if she was. Or rather, if she ever would be,

For the millionth time, Brax brushed his hand against Charlie’s shoulder, as discretely as possible. And each time, he was amazed at how real she felt. The Ridgeley pub was empty as usual all but for Brax and Charlie.

She had returned when Brax had needed her again and this time around, Brax was a little wiser but a small part of him still didn’t want to let go again. The pain he’d felt the first two times she’d gone still resonated like a painful stinging in his heart whenever he thought about it.

‘This isn’t healthy is it?’ Brax eyed his beer bottle on the bar in front of him.

‘What, drinking? No, I can’t say it is,’ Charlie smiled. Brax just shook his head. That wasn’t what he’d meant.

Charlie touched his hand. ‘Going on a date with your dead girlfriend to a dingy looking pub in the middle of nowhere on a Friday night? It wouldn’t exactly turn your liver into mush.’

Brax slowly turned his head to her and glared at her. Charlie shrugged. ‘Don’t hate me for loving you.’

‘I could never hate you, Charlie,’ Brax whispered. After a moment of silence, he continued. ‘You never talked much about him.’

Charlie’s face fell and became solemn. ‘It’s not something I ever really talked to anyone about. And it’s not so black and white either, you know. When it first happened, I was thirteen, and I cried in bed every night wishing I had never met Grant but then I would’ve never had Ruby and I would never wish that. I wanted to turn back time but I couldn’t.’

‘I feel conflicted about Jade sometimes. As much as I love her, I hate what she comes from.’

‘I hate it too,’ Brax was startled when the reply didn’t come from Charlie. He looked behind and watched as a familiar face sat beside him where Charlie had just been.

‘Mrs Pirovic,’ Brax stammered. Valerie smiled. She placed her purse on the table and waited for the bartender to come out of the store room.

‘Hello Darryl, how are you?’ Valerie thought it was a little odd Brax was talking to himself but dismissed it. Some people had a habit of doing that, after all.

‘I’m alright,’ Brax glanced at her uncomfortably and took a swig from his bottle. He placed the bottle back on the table.

‘How’s…’ Valerie realised she didn’t remember her own granddaughter’s name. It was understandable of course, given she’d never met the little girl.

The conversation got even more comfortable for Brax. Even though he liked her, he just wanted her to leave. There had always been the constant threat of the Pirovic family wanting access to Jade but he’d never heard from any of them. However, this wasn’t enough to put Brax’ mind at ease. ‘Jade. She’s fine too,’

‘That’s good.’ Bree came out of the storeroom and Valerie smiled at her. ‘Can I please have a red wine?’

Bree nodded and set out to put a glass in front of the aging woman. ‘There you go,’

‘Thanks,’ Valerie thanked and refocused on Brax. She had noticed the discomfort when she’d asked about Jade. ‘It was just an innocent question. I was just making small talk.’

‘Yeah, I know you didn’t, it’s just…you know,’ Brax nodded and he meant every word. ‘I should actually go pick her up from her piano lesson now, actually. It was good seeing you, Mrs Pirovic,’

‘Jade, is it? She plays piano?’ Valerie asked.

Brax stood up and placed a fifty dollar note on the bar. ‘Yeah, she’s a natural musician,’

‘That’s great; it was nice to see you again.’ Valerie smiled good bye as he walked away and returned to her drink.

The next afternoon, Ruby stood in the mirror, her face marred with disdain. Ruby’s assignment was her worst fear; road clean up. It was only her third day and she already hated it. And still, there were weeks to go. The shorts and singlet were the oldest she owned; hopefully she wouldn’t stink too much. Grabbing the keys from on top of the dresser, she walked out the door an hour earlier than intended.

‘Can I get a bottle of wine please?’ The lunch rush hadn’t reached Angelo’s yet so it was relatively quiet. Ruby waited patiently by the bar.

Brax walked behind the bar and tapped the man who had just given Ruby her bottle. ‘Thanks Rob, I’ll take it from here,’

Ruby handed him the cash sheepishly. ‘Hey,’

‘Little early, don’t you think?’ Brax eyed the bottle in her hand as he sorted the change.

‘Never too early,’ Ruby looked uncomfortable. This was the first time they’d been alone without Jade for since the near drowning incident. ‘Anyway, I’m going to need it later to unwind after my productive day making Summer Bay a cleaner place.’

‘What’re you talking about?’ Brax was out of the loop; it wasn’t like Ruby divulged information about her life to him. And it wasn’t like he made an effort to gossip with Colleen on a regular basis either; in fact, he hadn’t been to the diner in a while.

‘Oh, I got community service, didn’t you hear? I thought I’d see what it’s like down on your level for a little while,’ ruby joked but immediately took it back. After everything they’d been through, the same retorts just didn’t feel right on her tongue. ‘Sorry, that was harsh,’

Although shocked to hear an actual apology, Brax awkwardly handed her the change. ‘How’re you doing? I heard the coppers have been asking questions at you,’

‘Yeah, they did.’ Ruby’s voice was soft and uncomfortable.

Brax stared sympathetically at Ruby. ‘Eh, look at me; you don’t know what happened,’

Ruby looked unconvinced when she glanced up. ‘How do you do that? Always sound so sure of everything?’

‘Because when I say something, I mean it. Anything could’ve happened to Grant.’ Brax unconsciously moved his hand closed to Ruby’s hand on the bar to comfort her but he stopped just short.

Ruby stared at her hand. Then, as if suddenly realising she was showing her vulnerability, she glanced up and smiled, still unconvinced by Brax’ words. There was still that doubt in her mind. ‘You're right, anything could've happened.'

‘A guy like that probably has a lot of enemies, Rubes. Any one of them could’ve done this,’ Brax left the words on both of their minds hanging in the air.

When Ruby got out of the restaurant that day, she went to a secluded spot on the beach and took long pained sips from the bottle of wine she’d just bought. She couldn’t wait until after, she needed to forget now. By the time Ruby stood up and went to Yabee Creek road to do her mandatory service to the community, the bottle was almost empty.

Great update,

I quite liked Rachel (and it's awesome that shes in this fic btw) and leahs talk about their kids :))

I swear my heart just breaks more and more for Brax with each update :wub:!!

Hoping that ruby and Brax find a way to reconcile!!

Do we actually know how Charlie died yet?? I don't think that we do, but knowing me I could have easily missed it if you did!

More soon please :D

Archived