Morag's next stint... bring back Nigel?

Guest beau_t

Wow Ryan that is a really nice idea. Not to put it down at all, but I don't think Bobby is well-known enough in the current show for a fleeting mention like this to work.

If they were serious about Bringing Morag back for a meaningful extended stint, then some mention of Bobby would be nice.

This is the difference between H&A and British soaps like Corrie and EastEnders which I download regularly. Continuity and remembering important characters/events from the past is very important to them, and they don't care if current viewers might not know what they are talking about.

In UK pace EastEnders (in which I have to say the character-writing, continuity, and history far surpases that of H&A in the past couple of years), a character has currently been sent to jail after the police re-opened the case of the death of a guest character from several years ago. Prior to this he was being blackmailed over the death of other characters, one from longer ago and another from about 20 years ago. This in itself brought about a lot of conversations between different characters about things that were going on back then and about characters who knew about it (who aren't even in the show anymore, but those who are still in it were shocked or upset that those other characters knew and said nothing).

Anyway my point is, I personally have absolutely no idea who many of these characters were that were being mentioned and I have no memory or emotional attachment to them or those storylines from all that time ago. But in no way did that stop me enjoying the storyline because characters I did care about were clearly being affected by this now.

So in H&A if they dredged up all the stuff regarding Bobby again to give Morag a storyline, it shouldn't matter whether younger viewers know who Bobby was because if the writing is correct, they will be interested in Morag and why she is upset and will be following her story.

Wow Ryan that is a really nice idea. Not to put it down at all, but I don't think Bobby is well-known enough in the current show for a fleeting mention like this to work.

If they were serious about Bringing Morag back for a meaningful extended stint, then some mention of Bobby would be nice.

This is the difference between H&A and British soaps like Corrie and EastEnders which I download regularly. Continuity and remembering important characters/events from the past is very important to them, and they don't care if current viewers might not know what they are talking about.

In UK pace EastEnders (in which I have to say the character-writing, continuity, and history far surpases that of H&A in the past couple of years), a character has currently been sent to jail after the police re-opened the case of the death of a guest character from several years ago. Prior to this he was being blackmailed over the death of other characters, one from longer ago and another from about 20 years ago. This in itself brought about a lot of conversations between different characters about things that were going on back then and about characters who knew about it (who aren't even in the show anymore, but those who are still in it were shocked or upset that those other characters knew and said nothing).

Anyway my point is, I personally have absolutely no idea who many of these characters were that were being mentioned and I have no memory or emotional attachment to them or those storylines from all that time ago. But in no way did that stop me enjoying the storyline because characters I did care about were clearly being affected by this now.

So in H&A if they dredged up all the stuff regarding Bobby again to give Morag a storyline, it shouldn't matter whether younger viewers know who Bobby was because if the writing is correct, they will be interested in Morag and why she is upset and will be following her story.

My thoughts exactly! Plus if they really wanted to make sure the current audience are up to date, they could also make use of subtle flashbacks, which as far as I'm aware, isn't something the UK soaps do. But I agree and to a certain extent this is exactly what happened when Bevan wrote Sally's exit storyline. Fans who had no memory of her childhood or past were still emotionally engaged.

I don't want to sound too much like Norman Tebbit, but when I started watching the show, if there was a reference to Bobby or Pippa, I didn't riot, I went over to my computer, looked up Summer Bay Web or Homeandaway3000 until I found who they were.

Archived