Bound By Blood

Guest elikell

Sorry for the lack of updates lately. My life's been pretty hectic lately, but I'm hoping it'll calm down soon...

I hope you enjoy this next chapter. I really look forward to seeing what you all say in your comments, so please keep them coming. :)

Okay, so here's the next chapter.

Happy reading :)

Warning: There is mention of rape and drugs in this chapter, but nothing graphic, but very brief mentioning. VERY BRIEF.

Brax walked through the prison visiting room and sat down at a table nervously and waited for Heath. Brax watched Heath walk through the waiting room hand-cuffed. Brax frowned, unhappy at the situation he found himself in. He hated seeing Heath like this.

Brax stood up. ‘Hey mate,’ he greeted Heath. Heath smiled at him.

‘Hey yourself,’ Heath said. He sat down and Brax followed suit.

‘How’s it going?’ Brax asked.

Heath nodded. ‘It’s certainly not like anywhere else I’ve ever been,’ he said.

‘Who did that to you?’ Brax asked. He pointed to Heath’s bruised face.

‘No one,’ Heath responded.

‘Mate, someone did,’ Brax said.

Heath shook his head. ‘It was no one,’ Heath said.

Brax sighed deeply, annoyed at his brother’s response. He looked away from Heath before he looked back at him.

‘I didn’t mean to hurt that woman,’ Heath said. His head fell.

‘Why did you do it then?’ Brax asked.

‘The drugs messed up my brain man,’ Heath said. He put his head in his hands.

‘You raped her,’ Brax said.

‘I didn’t mean to Brax,’ Heath said. He looked up at Brax, tears in his eyes.

‘You deserve to be in here because of that. Bianca didn’t deserve what you did to her,’ Brax said strongly.

‘I know. And I’m sorry. I never wanted to hurt anyone,’ Heath said. He wiped his tears away roughly.

Brax put his hand on Heath’s shoulder comfortingly. ‘Is that what happened to your face?’ Brax asked gently.

Heath looked at Brax and nodded.

Brax sighed. ‘Can’t you get put somewhere else away from them?’ Brax asked.

Heath shook his head. ‘I deserve what I get,’ he said sadly.

‘Oh mate, you don’t deserve to get your face bashed in,’ Brax said.

‘She didn’t deserve it either,’ Heath said softly.

‘Visiting time is over,’ a voice shouted across the room.

Brax looked over at Heath. ‘How much longer?’ Brax asked.

’15 months,’ Heath answered.

‘Can you get out any sooner?’ Brax asked.

Heath nodded. ‘With good behaviour I can be out in nine months.’

‘Well be good mate, okay?’ Brax said.

Heath nodded again. ‘So I’ll see you soon?’ he asked.

Brax smiled. ‘Yeah. Casey’s moving into my place today, but we should be back next week. Stay safe,’ Brax answered.

‘Look after yourselves,’ Heath said. He stood up from the table. Brax followed suit. They embraced in a hug. ‘Take care Brax,’ Heath said.

‘You too mate. Stay out of trouble,’ Brax said.

‘Visiting time is over,’ the voice shouted again. A buzzer sounded throughout the room. Brax and Heath broke apart.

‘I’ll see you soon,’ Brax said. He turned and walked away from his brother. He hated leaving Heath here, but he knew that what Heath had done was wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the lack of updates lately. Things here have been pretty crazy at the moment.

I hope you enjoy the next update.

Brax walked along the beach, his hands deep in his pockets. He was lost deep in thought and didn’t hear Annie talk to him until she spoke again.

‘Brax?’ Annie asked.

Brax looked up at her and smiled. ‘Sorry?’ he asked.

‘I asked how you are, but I guess the answer’s written all over your face,’ Annie said. She smiled at him kindly.

‘Sorry, I was completely in my own world. How are you Annie?’ Brax asked.

‘I’m good. School’s been mad busy with the school play coming up,’ Annie said.

‘The school play? How’s it coming along?’ Brax asked.

‘It’s good. I’m hoping it’ll all come together,’ Annie said. ‘It’s been fun getting to know everyone in a different way. How’s the restaurant going?’

‘Busy, I barely seem to sleep sometimes,’ Brax said honestly, leaving out the sister fact of the equation. ‘But I love it.’

‘That’s good,’ Annie said. She smiled at him.

‘Can I ask you something?’ Brax asked.

Annie looked at him and nodded. ‘Sure,’ she agreed.

‘What do you know about your real parents?’ He took a breath, unsure what he wanted the answer to be.

‘Oh,’ Annie said taken-aback. ‘Not a lot.’

Brax nodded. ‘Do you want to?’ he asked.

‘I don’t know. I do, but I don’t at the same time. Once I know I can’t un-know. What if they’re completely crazy?’ Annie asked.

‘What about Geoff?’ Brax asked. ‘Is he your brother brother or not?’

‘He’s my brother, but he’s not blood-related,’ Annie said. ‘But he’s certainly my brother.’

Brax nodded. ‘I’m glad you’ve got him in your life. He’s a good bloke,’ Brax said.

‘Why do you ask?’ Annie asked.

‘Just curious. I’ve never know anyone in your situation. I’m sorry about your parents by the way. Are you okay?’ Brax asked.

Annie smiled. ‘Yeah. Some days are better than others,’ she said. ‘I’m glad this town’s good about everything.’

Brax smiled back. ‘They’re good like that. When you come here you get a fresh start,’ Brax said. ‘And you deserve it Annie.’ He put a hand on her shoulder.

‘Thanks Brax. You’re a good man,’ Annie said. She put her arms around Brax’s body in a hug. Brax was taken aback but returned the hug quickly. He decided not to tell Annie about their connection just yet. He still had to process everything else first.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for all your comments. I really do appreciate them and I am glad that you are sticking with me during this story despite the horrible delays in me updating.

Here's another update for you. I hope you enjoy it.

Happy reading :)

There was a knock at the front door. Brax got up from his paperwork sprawled all over the kitchen table and answered it. He saw Charlie and another female police officer on his doorstep as he opened the door. The police officers removed their hats from their heads.

‘Darryl Braxton?’ Charlie asked.

Brax nodded at her. ‘What is it officer?’

‘I’m Sergeant Charlie Buckton and this is Senior Constable Georgina Watson. Can we come in for a moment please? There’s something we need to tell you,’ Charlie said formally.

Brax nodded and stepped aside. The two women stepped past him into the lounge room. Brax closed the door behind them and faced them.

‘How can I help you?’ Brax asked.

‘You might like to sit down,’ Charlie said. She motioned her hand to a couch.

Brax shook his head. ‘I’m fine, just tell me what’s going on,’ he said.

‘We recently received some news that there was a brawl at the prison where your brother Heath is being held. I’m sorry Mr Braxton, but Heath was killed during the brawl,’ Senior Constable Watson said.

Brax stumbled backwards. ‘How?’ he stuttered. He looked up at Charlie.

‘The other prisoners were arguing and he stepped in to break it up. In the process the other inmates went after him. By the time the officers got there Heath was gone,’ Charlie said. She put a hand on Brax’s arm and led him to the couch, where she sat him down.

‘I only saw him yesterday,’ Brax said quietly. He felt a tear fall from his eye. He brushed it away quickly.

‘I’m really sorry Brax,’ Charlie said. She sat down beside him and put a hand in his. Brax squeezed it tightly.

‘So what happens now?’ Brax asked. He looked over at Charlie.

‘We need you to identify his body,’ Watson said.

‘We’ll find out who did this,’ Charlie said.

The front door opened and Casey walked into the house. ‘What’s going on?’ Casey asked. He looked from Brax to the police officers and back to Brax.

‘There’s been an incident at the prison,’ Brax said. ‘I’ve gotta go with these two, but I’ll be back soon, okay?’

Casey looked stunned. ‘Okay,’ he agreed. ‘But I’m coming too.’

‘Nah mate, you stay here,’ Brax said. ‘Do your homework.’

Casey nodded at him.

Brax sighed deeply and turned to Charlie. He nodded at her.

‘Ready to go?’ Charlie asked.

Brax nodded and stood up. He walked over to the door and opened it for the officers before he walked through it himself. This was not going to be fun Brax thought to himself.

• 1 month later...

Sorry about the lack of updates recently. But here's another update for you.

I've decided that due to the lack of interest in this fic, I'm gonna finish it up after the next update.

So here's the second to last chapter.

Brax stood before the door leading to the morgue and took a deep breath. He didn’t want to do this. Charlie stood next to him.

‘Are you ready?’ Charlie asked.

Brax looked at her and nodded.

Charlie opened the door and Brax walked into the room. He felt a chill as his walked slowly over to this table in the middle of the room. A sheet was draped over the corpse on the steel table.

Brax stopped next to the table and looked at the sheet momentarily. He looked at the morgue worker. She lifted the top of the sheet away and revealed Heath’s body. Brax leant on the table as the sight before him took hold. Heath lay on the table, cuts and bruises all over his face. Brax imagined his last few minutes alive, trying to help break up a brawl.

Brax looked at the worker. ‘Can I touch him?’ Brax whispered, barely audible in the silent room.

The worker nodded at him.

Brax put his hand on Heath’s forehead and felt the cold body cool down his hand instantly. A tear rolled down Brax’s face as he looked at his brother. Before he knew what was going on, Brax was crying uncontrollably. He felt warm arms around his shoulders and turned away from Heath.

‘It’s Heath,’ Brax breathed deeply. He saw Charlie nod at the worker as Charlie led Brax from the room. Her grip on his shoulders didn’t loosen until they were out of the morgue.

Brax stumbled and was surprised by Charlie’s strength as she held him up. She led him over to a row of chairs and sat him down.

‘I’m really sorry Brax,’ Charlie said. She put a hand on Brax’s arm gently.

Brax put his hand onto hers. ‘Will you find out who did this?’ Brax asked.

Charlie looked him in the eye and nodded. ‘I will,’ Charlie said.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the delay in replying (once again). Here is the last chapter for posting. As some of you may know, I am continuing to write this story for myself but I am not posting it on here due to lack of interest. Who knows, maybe one day you might just come across it in a bookshop... :)

Thank you for keeping with this story, and for all your wonderful comments and feedback. I truly do appeciate it.

I do sincerely hope you like how I've finished this up. I know some of you may not, but I guess that's the way the cookie crumbles.

And now as summer is upon us here in Australia, I would like to once again remind you of staying safe around any forms of water, small or large. You never know what might happen in life, so stay safe, be happy, and live your life to the fullest.

Take care. And happy reading :)

Brax walked back into his house and found Casey studying in his room.

‘Case, we need to talk,’ Brax said. He entered the room and sat on the edge of the bed.

Casey looked up from his textbook to his brother. ‘What is it?’ Casey asked.

‘It’s about Heath,’ Brax started.

‘What about him?’ Casey asked.

‘There was an incident at the prison this morning,’ Brax said.

‘What kind of incident? Is Heath okay?’ Casey asked concerned.

‘No mate, he’s not. Apparently he tried to break up a fight and got himself killed,’ Brax said. ‘I’m so sorry mate.’ Brax put his hands on his head momentarily and looked away before he looked back to Casey.

‘What?’ Casey asked. ‘He can’t be dead. He was getting out in just over a year.’ Casey stood up from his desk and began to pace the room.

Brax stood up from his place on the bed. ‘I’m sorry,’ Brax said. He had no idea what else to say.

‘I want to see him,’ Casey said. He looked over at Brax.

‘You can’t,’ Brax said. ‘Not yet.’

‘Come on man, you have, haven’t you?’ Casey said loudly, shocked at the situation.

‘Yes,’ Brax admitted. ‘But it wasn’t nice. Just wait a few days, okay?’

Casey ran his hands through his hair. ‘This isn’t fair!’ Casey yelled. ‘First mum, and now this?!’

Casey looked over at Brax. ‘I know mate,’ Brax said.

‘AND ANNIE!’ Casey yelled.

Brax put a hand on Casey’s shoulder. ‘I know,’ Brax said.

‘What about Annie?’ a female voice asked. Ruby rounded the door and came face-to-face with Casey and Brax.

Casey made a beeline for the door.

‘Case, where are you going?’ Brax asked.

‘I’m going for a run,’ Casey stated. ‘Alone.’

Casey ran from the room and slammed the front door behind him.

‘I should go after him,’ Ruby said. She turned to leave.

‘No, Ruby. Just let him be on his own for a while,’ Brax said.

Ruby turned back to Brax. ‘What happened?’ she asked confused.

‘Heath was killed in prison today,’ Brax said.

Ruby was taken aback. ‘I’m so sorry,’ she said.

Brax nodded at her. ‘Thank you. I’m sorry, but I really need to organise some things,’ Brax said quietly.

Ruby nodded. ‘If you need anything, anything at all, just let me know. Either of you,’ Ruby offered.

Brax gave a small nod in reply.

Ruby put her hand on Brax’s arm comfortingly before she turned and left the house, leaving Brax all alone. And that was how he felt: Alone.

Comments

Archived