Sweet Misery

Guest Chax47

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone :wink:

I'd like to say thank you to luscious01, ~JarlieFanEver~, ldscott, Samantha1, Arielxo, Jen1205, Soph1303, CharlieAndBraxLover, sazcaz89, -Carina-, Lucii, and RoRo90 for the amazing reviews :wub: The response for the first chapter was brilliant, I'm really excited!!

And for those of you who read Temptation, the next chapter should hopefully be with you tomorrow! It's taking me a little longer to perfect :unsure:

Anyways, I really hope you all enjoy this next chapter and thanks once again!

Lianne

Chapter 2

Angelo strolled into the restaurant early that morning, wanting to get a head start on what was going to be a very important day. Switching on the coffee machine, he waited for the machine to warm up before making himself a large drink. Glancing at the clock, he worked out that he had just over two hours to get everything ready before his new business partner was due in. He had been a bit apprehensive at first, the offer would have usually been something he would have walked away from. But due to the timing and pure desperation, he found himself suddenly with a new partner and a chance of hopefully turning business around.

Before he knew it, an hour had passed. He gathered the necessary paperwork together and placed it to once side. He was about to make himself another coffee when the sound of footsteps floated up into the restaurant. He looked up just as his new partner entered the room.

"You're a little early, aren't you?" Normally he would have been impressed but instead he felt cautious.

He simply shrugged. "I wanted to get everything ready. See how the place runs." He walked further into the restaurant, glancing around at the new surroundings that were now partly his. "Shall we get started?"

The two men stared at each other for a moment. Angelo was the first to look away, reaching for his mobile.

"I just have a quick call I need to make. I'll be right back." He excused himself and walked out of the restaurant, dialling the all too familiar number as he went.

After a few rings, a sleepy voice filled his ears. "Good morning lovely. I was just calling to see if you are working today?" He listened intently, a smile forming on his lips. "Brilliant. How about you meet me at the restaurant in about an hour? I just have some business to finish up and then I'm all yours."

It had been a couple of days since their argument about the restaurant and Angelo was keen to put it behind them. He had been making a special effort with her over the past two days, something which hadn't gone unnoticed by Charlie. They finished making plans before Angelo headed back inside, ready to face his future.

------

Charlie had jumped out of bed following her early morning phone call. After grabbing a quick shower, she dried and styled her hair before agonising over what clothes she could wear for the occassion. Angelo hadn't been too specific on what they were going to be doing for the day, but a quick glance outside the window told her that she would have to wear something summery. She eventually opted for a pale blue summer dress and sandals.

After checking herself out a final time in the mirror, she decided that she was ready to go. She was greeted by Ruby in the kitchen, who was stood at the counter staring into a cup of coffee.

"Morning." Charlie kissed the side of her head as she passed.

"Morning." Ruby replied, followed by a yawn. "You look nice..."

Charlie smiled. "Thanks. I'm spending the day with Angelo. What are your plans for today?"

"Casey is coming over. We're going to do some studying." Ruby gave her mum another kiss before walking out of the kitchen to get ready.

"Studying! Sure..." Charlie muttered under her breath as she too made her way out of the house.

-----

"So the invoices just go in here?"

Angelo looked up at his question and nodded. So far, and to Angelo's annoyance, he seemed to be picking up things at a fast pace. Angelo had to keep telling himself that this was just a temporary fix, and he should really be looking at it as a favour and not a hindrance. However, just being in this man's company put him on edge and he didn't like it.

"Yes."

He was greeted with a smile. If Angelo had been blunt that morning, his partner hadn't shown any sign of picking up on it. Or if he had, he had managed to hide it well.

"So, are you working here all day? Or can I just get on with things?" He asked, hoping that the answer would be the latter.

Angelo checked the time before answering. "I'm not working this afternoon. There will be two other staff on with you though, so you shouldn't feel too overwhelmed."

Realising that Charlie would be here any second, he left a quick list of what should be completed that afternoon. He had barely finished speaking when he looked up and spotted her in the doorway. He couldn't contain his smile as he excused himself and went over to greet his girlfriend.

"Hey you." He kissed her passionately on the lips. "You look beautiful."

She smiled at the compliment and gave him another peck on the lips. "Thank you. Are you ready to go? I can't wait to see what you've got in mind." She replied with a small wink, leaving Angelo to laugh slightly.

"I'm almost done. I guess I should introduce you to my new business partner..." He gestured at the man sitting at the bar with his back to them.

Charlie smiled. "Oh my God, you found someone? You never said anything?" She was happy for Angelo, but part of her was happy that this news meant he would no longer be pushing for her to invest.

"I didn't want to say anything until everything was a done deal. Come on, I'll introduce you two." He took her hand in his and led her over to the bar. Charlie gave his hand a small squeeze.

"Charlie I would like you to meet, Darryl..."

The man spun around in the chair at the sound of Angelo's voice and looked at the new company. They both were taken aback; the surprise evident on both of their faces. Her hand slipped out of Angelo's.

"Brax...hi!" Charlie gave him a warm smile which he was quick to return.

"Hey Charlie."

Angelo watched the exchange, a puzzled look stretched across his face. "Wait...you two know each other?"

Charlie glanced at Angelo, feeling the situation suddenly get a little awkward. "Er...yeah. We met at the school the other night."

"Yeah...I'm Casey's brother." Brax jumped in, trying to diffuse the weird situation. He still didn't quite understand why Charlie was there, but something told him that he wouldn't get the chance to ask anytime soon.

"And Casey is?" Angelo was suddenly feeling like he wasn't being included in something; a feeling which he immediately disliked.

"Oh...Ruby's new boyfriend. I must have forgotten to mention it." She shrugged, trying to act a little dumber than she was. She wasn't entirely sure why she hadn't mentioned Ruby's new boyfriend to Angelo, but now that that information was out, it was looking a lot worse than it probably was.

"Oh." Angelo studied them both. He noticed how Brax's eyes barely left Charlie's face, which suddenly made him feel rather possessive. His arm found it's way protectively around Charlie's shoulders. "Well, we best get going. If you have any problems, call me."

Brax's gaze focused on Angelo's arms around her and then it hit him. Of course she is already taken. He felt like such an idiot for even thinking that anyone as amazing as Charlie would be single for long. His mood dipped and he wished for them to hurry up and go and leave him to wallow in the news.

"Sure. Have fun." He gave Charlie one last half smile before turning back to the stack of paperwork in front of him.

"Bye Brax." She sensed the change in his mood and felt a little bit responsable. Maybe she had given him the wrong idea the other night; she was attracted to him and may have flirted, but had she meant to cause him any harm? She didn't have chance to ponder this thought as Angelo was keen to usher them out of the restaurant. She risked one last look at him sat alone at the bar, and felt her heart pound in her chest.

------

"I can't believe you didn't tell me that Brax was your new business partner." They had been walking in silence along the beach for at least ten minutes before Charlie eventually broke the silence.

Angelo watched her out of the corner of his eye. His grip on her hand loosened ever so slightly. "I can' t believe that you didn't tell me you'd met Brax."

Charlie shrugged. Surely it wasn't such a big deal? "Like I said, Ruby introduced us the other night at the school. He seems like a really nice guy." She regretted saying it immediately as the wince on Angelo's face was far too obvious.

"You are the last person I would have expected to hear those words from."

Charlie frowned at him. "And what do you mean by that?" She was failing to see where this conversation was headed but she knew it couldn't be anywhere good.

"Because of their reputation. Surely as a cop you should know that the River Boys are trouble...."

"The River..." She trailed off as it suddenly hit her. That is why the name was so familiar to her. Darryl Braxton was one of the River Boys. The complaints about a surf gang from Mangrove River had been flooding in ever since the group decided to hang out more in the bay. Charlie had had a fair few runnings with a Heath Braxton, but she had missed the connection between the two when they had been introduced. "I can't believe I missed that..." She said, more to herself but Angelo heard.

"Missed what?"

Charlie ignored his question as she worked through the thoughts in her head. He is a River Boy. He is bad news. His brother is a well known criminal who...and his brother is dating my daughter. The second revelation hit her hard. It felt as though her stomach were in knots.

"Ruby!" She exclaimed, leaving Angelo feeling more and more confused.

"What?"

Charlie turned to him, panic creeping onto her face. "There's somewhere I have to go. I'm sorry, can we finish this later?" She didn't give him a chance to answer. Instead, she kissed him on the cheek and ran across the beach, eager to get home and save her daughter.

------

Reaching the house, she threw open the back door and searched for signs of life in the kitchen. None. "RUBY!" She yelled as loud as she could. The run over had been filled with stories she had heard and experienced while handling the new River Boy complaints. None of them were good, and none of them were anything she would want her daughter to be exposed to. I knew the idea of them studying was too far fetched. "I need you talk to you!" She shouted as she made her way into the living room and stopped dead in her tracks.

"Oh."

Ruby and Casey were sat at either ends of the dining table, an array of books and paper spread open in front of them. They both looked towards Charlie, a confused look on both of their faces.

"Charlie? Is everything ok?" Ruby put down her pen and studied her mother, who was too busy figuring out the scene in front of her.

"You guys are studying..." She immediately began to feel stupid and judging by the heat that was coming from her face, her cheeks were turning scarlet.

"Yeah...I told you that this morning. Remember?" Ruby looked back to Casey, who looked just as puzzled as she was. "What do you need to talk to me about?"

Charlie froze in the doorway, suddenly feeling small. "Nothing. I must have been mistaken." She made her excuses and hurried out of the house.

What the hell am I doing?!

-----

As always, I'd love to hear your thoughts :)

absolutely loved that chapter! Brax and Charlie :wub:

And I kinda love how she reacted when she found out they were river boys although Casey and Ruby were studying!

And when Angelo introduced Brax as Darryl and Charlie just went and called him Brax :)

Update soon x

LOVED the 1st 2 chapters, especially ......

 She started as she browsed through the wardrobe looking for something to wear. Ruby had mentioned wanting to introduce Charlie to someone important so she wanted to make sure she looked presentable.

 Ruby took his hand in hers and smiled. "Of curse she will. Who couldn't?!" She gave him a quick kiss before checking her watch again. "She should be here by now..."

She hadn't told Casey but she herself was nervous. Casey was a River Boy and she knew the reputation that they had, and Charlie would know it too seeing as she were a cop. Ruby just hoped that her mum could see past the stories and like Casey for who he was.

 The pride was evident on Brax's face. An education and a life away from the River Boys was all Brax wanted for his baby brother, and Brax was on his way to getting his wish.

 "It's ok. Come on I want you to meet someone before we start." She grabbed Charlie's hand and led her over to Casey, wanting to get the meeting over with. "And please, be my mum for tonight and not a sergeant."

Charlie didn't understand what Ruby meant but she didn't have time to think it over. Two sets of eyes were suddenly on her as Ruby made the introductions.

 Braxton. She had heard that name somewhere before. Charlie smiled at him as she extended her hand to him. "Hi, I'm Charlie."

He mirrored her smile as he took her hand in his own. Their hands remained linked for a few extra seconds as they looked at each other. Brax immediately noted how beautiful she was, and the sensation of her hand in his gave him a funny feeling in the pit of his stomach.

"It's really nice to meet you, Charlie."

Hearing him say her name brought goosebumps to her skin, immediately pulling her out of her daze and back to reality. She pulled her hand out of his grasp and smiled.

 Angelo hadn't been too specific on what they were going to be doing for the day, but a quick glance outside the window told her that she would have to wear something summery. She eventually opted for a pale blue summer dress and sandals.

 "Studying! Sure..." Charlie muttered under her breath as she too made her way out of the house.

 "Charlie I would like you to meet, Darryl..."

The man spun around in the chair at the sound of Angelo's voice and looked at the new company. They both were taken aback; the surprise evident on both of their faces. Her hand slipped out of Angelo's.

"Brax...hi!" Charlie gave him a warm smile which he was quick to return.

 Brax's gaze focused on Angelo's arms around her and then it hit him. Of course she is already taken. He felt like such an idiot for even thinking that anyone as amazing as Charlie would be single for long. His mood dipped and he wished for them to hurry up and go and leave him to wallow in the news.

 "Because of their reputation. Surely as a cop you should know that the River Boys are trouble...."

"The River..." She trailed off as it suddenly hit her. That is why the name was so familiar to her. Darryl Braxton was one of the River Boys. The complaints about a surf gang from Mangrove River had been flooding in ever since the group decided to hang out more in the bay. Charlie had had a fair few runnings with a Heath Braxton, but she had missed the connection between the two when they had been introduced. "I can't believe I missed that..." She said, more to herself but Angelo heard.

 The ENTIRE last scene of Chapter 2, in particular …… "You guys are studying..." She immediately began to feel stupid and judging by the heat that was coming from her face, her cheeks were turning scarlet.

Archived