Nothing Lasts Forever

Guest Danni02

Thanks Zoe, Dingo x, Shezza, Sarah, RR1, pembie, once_upon_a_mind, JosieTash, soph1303 and homeandaway13 for commenting. :wub: Hope this one is okay :)

Chapter 81

Charlie had just put Jacob down for the night, and had eventually managed to take Xavier’s bear from his grasp. “Goodnight sweat pea” Charlie smiled as she placed a kiss on Jacob’s forehead before she left the room. She walked across to Ruby’s bedroom and knocked on the door before walking in. “Here you go” Charlie said as she handed Xavier the bear.

“Thanks” Xavier smiled as he looked down at the bear. “It’s silly, I know. I mean I’m a 19 year old male and I still have a bear, but this is the first thing that my Dad bought me, and considering I don’t even know where my Dad is now, I just....” Xavier trailed off as he looked down to the tatty old bear.

“I understand” Charlie smiled lightly at Xavier. “I don’t think it’s silly at all” Xavier smiled as he placed the bear on the bedside table. “So, you not go out with Ruby tonight?” Charlie questioned.

“Nah” Xavier shook his head “Girls night only”

“Oh” Charlie said “Casey, Dex or Romeo not about?”

“Don’t really get on to well with Casey anymore” Xavier said “And Dex and Romeo are needed at the farm, helping Sid out with something”

“Oh well, you know you don’t need to hide out in the bedroom reading your magazine” Charlie said “This is your house now as much as it is mines and Ruby’s, so just make yourself feel at home. You can go and watch the TV if you want”

“Thanks” Xavier smiled up at Charlie. “I was actually meaning to ask you if you wanted me to pay any rent money. I mean, I work, it’s not as if I am at uni, so if you wanted me to pay something, I’d understand”

“Well thank you for the offer, Xav” Charlie smiled “But how about you just keep saving your money for the future for when you and Rubes do eventually get a place of your own”

“Sure” Xavier smiled “Thanks Charlie”

“Not a problem” Charlie smiled as her mobile went off. She pulled it out of her pocket to see that she had a new text message from Brax. She exhaled lightly as he read the message. Hey, just checking you are okay after this morning and that Jacob is happy to have this block back, haha. I’m here if you need to talk, Brax She sighed lightly before exiting the message and putting her phone back in her pocket.

“Brax?” Xavier guessed correctly and Charlie nodded. “Doesn’t look like he is going to give up anytime soon does it?”

“No, I don’t think so” Charlie said as she shook her head.

“Do you know what you are going to do?” Xavier asked and Charlie bit her lip. “Sorry, it’s not really any of my business”

“No its fine” Charlie smiled as she sat down on the bed. “I honestly don’t know yet Xav. A big part of me wants him in my life, but there’s just something there stopping me”

“You’re probably just scared that he is going to hurt you again” Xavier said. “The way I see it, is if you want my opinion, you’ve got two options. Option one, you give Brax that second chance, and you get to be happy again, or option two, you stick to your guns and don’t forgive him, but you’re miserable right now, no offence”

“I don’t think it’s as easy as that, Xav” Charlie said. “What if I forgive him, to once again, further down the track, I get hurt again?”

“You can’t think like that” Xavier said “Otherwise you’d never get anywhere in life. Sometimes you just have to take a chance at things. Yeah, if you get hurt again, it’ll suck, but if you don’t, then you’re going to be so happy. Don’t you think you should give yourself that shot for true happiness?”

“You know what Xavier” Charlie smiled “I think I should”

“I would offer to hurt him if he ever hurt you again, but I think he’s just a tad bigger than me, so I don’t think I will” Xavier said and Charlie laughed.

“Thanks, Xavier” Charlie smiled “Listen, do you think you’d be able to watch Jacob for a little while? He should sleep right through, so he shouldn’t be any bother”

“Of course I can” Xavier smiled as Charlie stood up from the bed and made her way out of the room. “Charlie” Xavier said and Charlie turned to face him “Go get your man” Charlie smiled lightly before she left the house.

Ruby, Indi and April were sitting with a bottle of celebratory wine at April’s place. “Oh my gosh” April beamed as she looked down at the ring. “I can’t believe you’re engaged”

“How did he propose?” Indi asked before she took a drink of her wine.

“He took me to Café Rouge. He got all nervous, it’s was so cute, bless him”

“Café Rouge” Indi gasped “Wow, I wish Romeo’s proposal was at a place like Café Rouge”

“What as opposed to Hawaii?” April asked “Hello, Hawaii. Not only did he propose to you in Hawaii, you got married in Hawaii. Hawaii” April emphasised and Ruby and Indi laughed.

“So April, that just leaves you and Dex” Ruby smiled.

“Fat chance of anything happening anytime soon. I’m not thinking of anything like that until I’m done with uni” April said.

“Yeah, well Xav and I aren’t getting married anytime soon either. Not till I’m done with uni”

“Aww what I was looking forward to being a bridesmaid” Indi sulked.

“Oh look at that April, she thinks she’s getting to be a bridesmaid” Ruby teased.

“We’re not?” April asked.

Ruby laughed “Of course you are. And Jake will be my little pageboy. Aww bless he’s be so cute in a little suit. And my Mum will give me away....aww; I’m going to have so much fun planning this” Ruby grinned “Although I think I want a small wedding. Close friends and family only”

“Don’t let Colleen hearing you say that. She’ll be scared she’s not invited”

“Well technically, Colleen is your family” April said.

“April Scott” Ruby gasped “Don’t you ever say I’m related to Colleen ever again”

“Well you kinda are in a step kinda way” April argued.

“Yeah, and that’s enough. I don’t need to be reminded of it” Ruby said and the girls laughed.

“You know” April said “I always thought that you’d end up back with Casey” April spoke tentatively as Ruby raised her eyebrows.

“Really?” Ruby asked “What made you think that?”

“Well, I dunno, before you and him split up you were like so perfect together and I always just thought you’d eventually find your way back to each other”

“What Casey and I had is way in the past” Ruby said “I’m not saying I regret my relationship with him, because we did have some good times, but I love what I have with Xavier and I want to be with him for the rest of our lives”

“Aww” Indi said “Hey, why don’t we go into a club in Yabbie Creek? It’s been a while since we’ve been out”

“I dunno, I have an assessment next week I need to start revising for” April said.

“And you can start tomorrow” Indi said “C’mon it’ll be fun”

“I’m up for it” Ruby smiled.

“April?” Indi questioned.

“Okay, for a little while” April smiled.

Heath and Casey were walking along the pavement, heading for the club out in Yabbie Creek. “So, you know what you’re doing?” Heath asked as he patted Casey’s shoulder.

“Yes” Casey replied “I walk up to the guy, hand the stuff over and take the money” Casey said “It’s not rocket science and I have done this before”

“Good stuff lil bro” Heath smiled.

“You’re an idiot for getting back into this” Casey replied “You’re out on parole the last thing you should be doing is more deals”

“You’re the one who’s doing them mate” Heath laughed “I’m just helping you along” Casey shook his head lightly as he walked into the club, and went over to the bar, and got him and Heath a couple of beers. It was then when Ruby, Indi and April walked into the room. Casey smiled as he noticed Ruby. Casey couldn’t believe how beautiful she was and he still hated that he’d lost her to someone like Xavier. “Aww your still not hung up over her are you?” Heath asked “It’s been ages, let it go”

“Maybe I don’t want to” Casey raised his voice.

“You’re as bad as Brax. He’s pining over Charlie. What is it with you two and the Buckton girls?”

“I guess love it a concept that you don’t understand Heath” Casey spat “You just go for woman to woman dumping them after you’ve had enough”

“Yeah and it’s great” Heath smiled “Now shut up and get this down you” Heath said as he handed Casey a shot. Casey gulped it down before he once again looked at Ruby.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you RR1, Dingo x, pembie, Sarah, Arielxo, Aden_Belle, soph1303, totally and Cally for commenting :wub: I hope this one is okay. :unsure:

Chapter 82

Charlie took a deep breath as she walked up the path to the front door of his house. Just as she was about to knock on the door, the door opened, and Brax walked out. “Charlie” Brax smiled “What brings you here? I was just on my way -”

“Oh you were going out” Charlie said sounding disappointed.

“Yeah, but I was on my way to your house” Brax said.

“Oh” Charlie said as she smiled lightly. “So what was bringing you to see me?” Charlie asked.

“Eh, do you want to come inside and we can talk?”

“Sure” Charlie smiled lightly as she followed Brax into the house and took a seat on the couch.

“Can I get you a drink or anything?” Brax asked.

“No” Charlie shook her head “I’m fine thanks”

“Okay” Brax nodded before an awkward silence hit the room. “So” Brax said “I’ve been thinking a lot about what you said this morning and eh -”

“I’m sorry” Charlie said “I should never have asked you to leave the boys. They are your family and -”

“I’d do it” Brax said “If it meant getting you back, Charlie. I’ll leave the boys, because you’re right. I can’t go straight if I continue to hang around with them”

“Really?” Charlie asked sounding surprised.

“I’d do anything for you” Brax said and Charlie smiled lightly as she looked away from Brax.

“I just don’t know if that would be enough” Charlie said “Because I need to be able to trust you and I don’t know if I ever will can again”

“You can” Brax said “I’ll prove it to you Charlie. I’ll win your trust back”

“It’ll be hard” Charlie said.

“But your worth it” Brax smiled “The boys, Charlie, it’s time I grew up from that and you, you’re who I want. You and Jacob and Rubes. I want us to be a family” Brax smiled as he walked over to the couch and took a seat next to Charlie. “I love you so much, and right now, nothing else matters other than the fact we want to be together” Brax said as he lightly placed his hand on Charlie’s cheek. Charlie smiled lightly as she moved her hand up and placed it over Brax’s, lifting it away from her cheek. They stared at each other, looking deep into each other’s eyes before leaning forward and kissing softly at first, before it became more passionate. Brax pulled Charlie closer to him running his hands under her top, and up her bare back.

“Mmm” Charlie smiled as she pulled back. “We can’t rush back onto this” Charlie said “There’s still so much that we need to talk about”

“Like what?” Brax asked “We both want to be together, surely that’s all we need to know”

“What about things that could come up in our future?” Charlie questioned.

“Then we’ll worry about that if and when we come to it” Brax said “Charlie, stop making this so complicated. We want to be together, just let that happen”

“No, because we need to know what we want now” Charlie answered “We’re only going to let this get more and more serious and it’ll be all the harder to work out in the future”

“What will?” Brax questioned feeling confused.

“You want kids” Charlie said “And Brax, I -”

“Yeah but Charlie, we don’t need to start thinking about that for another few years. Let’s just enjoy being together again for now”

“But Brax, I think I’m done” Charlie said “I’ve got two great kids and I don’t know if I want anymore”

“Well then, that’s fine by me” Brax exhaled lightly “Jacob is going to need a father and I’ll be there for him. I’ll raise that kid like he’s my own”

Charlie shook her head lightly “I can’t let you do that though” Charlie said “Because you’ll end up resenting me in the future. Right now you might say your fine with it, but what if in a year or two, you really want a child of your own?”

“And what if in a year or two, you want to have another child?” Brax questioned “Charlie, you don’t know what you are going to think in a year’s time, you could just as easily change your mind about this” Brax said “So how about right now, we stop picking at things for us not to be together, and just give in to what we both want” Brax said as he leaned forward and once again placed a kiss on Charlie’s lips. Charlie pulled back slightly as she looked into Brax’s eyes and nodded. “Yes?” Brax questioned and Charlie nodded before she kissed Brax once more.

April and Indi were on the dance floor, when Ruby went down to the bar to get the girls more drinks. It was then when she saw Casey. “Case” Ruby said “Eh hey”

“Ruby” Casey smiled. Since getting back with Xavier, Ruby and Casey had hardly spoken. With Ruby being in university and Casey going back to school to complete his HSC, they hardly saw each other, and Casey had started to hang out with the boys he went to school with. “I hear congratulations are in order” Casey said as he pointed to Ruby’s engagement ring.

“Oh, eh yeah, thanks” Ruby smiled.

“Should be my ring on your finger” Casey sighed “I think you ended up with the wrong man”

“Well, Casey, you are entitled to your opinion” Ruby said “But I think I’ve made a good choice”

“Well people do make mistakes” Casey said “You’ll tire of him Ruby. You’re to spontaneous and exciting for some bore like Xavier. You’d suit me much better”

“You know there is a time where I would have thought that” Ruby smiled lightly “But Xavier is who I want and love. Whatever we had is long gone, and you need to let that go”

“Nah” Casey shook his head “You’ll regret marrying Xavier, believe me” Casey said just as Indi and April came walking over to Ruby.

“Hey, Rubes, what’s taking so long with the drinks?” Indi asked.

“Sorry” Ruby said as she turned to face April and Indi. “Someone won’t let go of the past”

“Oh, hey Casey” April smiled.

“You’ll see Rubes, you will” Casey said before he walked away from them. Ruby sighed lightly before she turned to the bar man and ordered a round of drinks, plus shot’s for the girls.

“Cheers” The girls said as they clinked their shot glasses together before taking the shot.

“Ah man” April said as she pulled a face of disgust. “What the hell was that?”

“Tequila” Ruby laughed.

“Guess you’re not a fan?” Indi asked as April shook her head.

“No, I think I’ll just stick to the wine thanks” April picked up her glass and took a drink, welcoming the taste. Ruby laughed lightly as she looked at Indi.

“Well, I need another shot, you up for it?”

“Hell yeah” Indi smiled “I’ll get them” Indi said before she ordered her and Ruby another tequila shot. Ruby sighed lightly as she turned her head and looked across the room and settled her eyes on Casey. Sighing once more she turned to face her friends again and she took the shot from Indi and chucked it back.

“Right” Ruby said as she picked up her glass of vodka and orange. “Dancing time” Ruby said and the girls ran back up to the dance floor.

Ruby ran into the house, tears streaming down her face. She made her way straight to the bathroom and turned on the shower, getting in and scrubbing herself all over, still dressed in her blue dress, her mascara ran down her face as cried and cried. She hit her hand against the wall a few times before she slid down and sat in the bottom of the shower, the warm water falling fast over her as she continued to shed her tears. “Rubes, is that you?” Charlie questioned as she walked into the bathroom and squinted her eyes as they adjusted to her turning the light on. “Ruby what are you doing?” Charlie questioned. Charlie’s question went unanswered as Ruby continued to cry the tears that were falling. “Ruby” Charlie said starting to feel worried. “Sweetie” Charlie stepped forward and pulled her daughter close, the water falling down, getting Charlie wet.

“He...I....I was....” Ruby cried as she clung tightly onto her mother. “Mum” Ruby cried. She closed her eyes as she mustered the strength to be able to talk. “I didn’t want to do it Mum. I didn’t want it but he wouldn’t stop. He just wouldn’t stop” Ruby cried as she clung tightly onto her mother.

Thank you Sarah, soph1303, ilovechax, pembie, once_upon_a_mind, Dingo x, totally, RR1, Chester-Sam, Zoe and Cally for the comments. Hope you like this next one.

Chapter 83

Charlie and Ruby had moved into Charlie’s bedroom after getting Ruby dried off and changed. Although Xavier had woken and was worried about his fiancée, Ruby had asked him to go back to bed, he was hesitant and first and wanted to know why Ruby was in such a state, but Charlie had convinced Xavier to go back to bed, and that Ruby would talk to him in the morning. Ruby still held tightly onto her mother as the tears continued to stream down her face. Charlie pursed her lips together as a tear rolled down her cheek. The one thing she tried so desperately to stop from happening to her little girl had happened. As she held a broken Ruby in her arms, she felt so helpless. Although this had happened to her, she knew that each victim was different and she had no idea how her daughter would get through the next few months. “Sweetie” Charlie said tentatively as she stroked her daughter’s hair “You don’t need to talk about anything right now, no-one is going to make you talk until you’re ready, but we want to get this guy, so when you’re feeling ready, you tell me anything. The littlest thing matters. The colour of his hair, his eyes, if you remember what his deodorant smelt like, don’t you think that’s silly, because it something, okay. What he was wearing -”

“I know who it was” Ruby said as the tears continued to roll down her cheeks. “Casey. It was Casey” She buried her head against her mother’s shoulder as she cried uncontrollably. Charlie had to admit she was a little shocked. She never expected it to be Casey.

“Are you really sure Ruby?” Charlie questioned.

“Yes” Ruby mumbled. “We got to talking” Ruby said as she pulled back and looked up at Charlie. “I remember we went outside and it was there when he kissed me. And I kissed him back, I did, but then I stopped because I love Xavier so much and I don’t want to cheat on him, I don’t want to be with Casey. I just want Xavier” Ruby cried “But when I pulled back he wouldn’t stop. He kept kissing me and telling me it would be okay and Xavier never needed to find out. He started kissing my neck and I said no but it didn’t seem to make a difference” Ruby sniffed back “He said it would be our secret and then he...I didn’t want it” Ruby cried. “I really didn’t Mum, I didn’t”

“Shhh it’s okay” Charlie said, trying her best to hold back tears in front of her daughter.

“It’s my fault. Because I kissed him, I led him on”

“No” Charlie raised her voice “It’s not sweetheart. You said no and he wouldn’t stop. You told him you didn’t want to do it. Don’t blame yourself. You didn’t do anything wrong”

“Maybe if I just said no one more time” Ruby cried “I wouldn’t be feeling like this right now. I feel so dirty” Ruby cried. “I need to go for a shower” Ruby said as she stood up from the bed.

“Ruby, you’re not dirty” Charlie said as she pulled her daughter back down from standing. Ruby looked to Charlie as the tears continued to roll down her cheeks. She hated what her daughter was feeling; as she knew all too well herself that it took a long a time to begin to feel normal again.

“I just feel so horrible and dirty and -” Ruby stopped talking as the tears still fell. Charlie held her daughter tightly and rocked her gently back and forth until she’d fell asleep in her arms. Settling Ruby down in her bed, she gently kissed her forehead, and finally, she let her tears escape her. As she looked down to her daughter, who was sleeping so peacefully, she hated that she wasn’t able to protect her from this. Deep down Charlie knew it wasn’t her fault, or Ruby’s, but Casey’s, but it didn’t stop her from feeling like she somewhat failed her daughter. All Charlie could do now, was promise to put Casey behind bars for as long as possible, and she would let nothing get in the way of that.

Xavier ran along the beach, where he saw Casey out for a surf with Heath. “Oi” Xavier shouted as he made a fist with his hand. Casey ran up the beach and placed his board down and turned to face Xavier, but was met with his fist. Xavier hit Casey hard on the nose, causing blood to start falling.

“What the hell was that for?” Casey asked as he wiped his nose with his hand getting blood all over himself.

“Like you don’t know” Xavier said before he punched him once again and again, and again.

“Hey, hey” Heath shouted as he ran up and grabbed onto Xavier holding him back from doing any more damage to his little brother. “What’s all this about?”

“He raped Ruby” Xavier yelled as he shrugged himself free from Heath’s grasp and once again went for Casey.

“Settle down blondie” Heath laughed as he once again grabbed Xavier and held him back. “Case”

“I didn’t rape her” Casey protested.

“She’s a home in bits” Xavier screamed “How could you do that. I thought you loved her”

“I do” Casey yelled “That’s why I could never rape her”

“She wouldn’t lie about this” Xavier yelled “Whereas a river boy like you would”

“I swear I didn’t” Casey said “Look, we had sex last night, but it wasn’t rape. She wanted me. She’s probably just saying this not to get in trouble for cheating on you”

“She would never cheat on me” Xavier said.

“Eh Geoff...Liam” Casey laughed.

“She ended things with me before anything started with Geoff” Xavier said. “Don’t you dare try to get out of what you’ve done” Xavier spat. “People like you make me sick and you’re going to go down for this, believe me” Xavier said.

“But I didn’t rape her” Casey shouted.

“Yeah, that’s exactly what a rapist would say” Xavier said before he pulled himself from Heath’s grasp and walked away. Casey sighed lightly as he looked up at Heath. He saw the look in his eyes and saw him forming a fist with his hand.

“I swear Heath, I didn’t” Casey cried “I didn’t rape her. Please don’t hit me”

“Why would Ruby lie eh” Heath said “Especially after what happened to Buckton”

“I don’t know” Casey said as a tear rolled down his cheek. “But I didn’t. I swear I didn’t rape her”

Heath sighed lightly as he looked at his little brother. “You say you didn’t and I believe you. Might have a harder time convincing the cops though. Especially since it’s their sergeant’s daughter in question. But I’m going to stick by you mate” Casey smiled lightly at Heath. As much of an idiot he could be a times, he was loyal, that’s for sure.

“Thanks” Casey smiled lightly.

“C’mon lets go get this face cleaned up” Heath said “I can’t believe you let a girl like Xavier hit you so much” Heath laughed as he and Casey walked off the beach.

Xavier walked back into the house to find Charlie preparing Jacob’s breakfast. “Where’s Rubes?”

“She’s in the shower” Charlie answered.

“Again?” Xavier questioned and Charlie nodded. “Shouldn’t she not be going for a shower right now? I mean can’t you tell his DNA and stuff from...there. We can prove it was him”

“I tried telling her” Charlie answered “But she’d already showered last night, and in her clothes, so any evidence will be gone” Charlie said.

“So, what does that mean? That we have a less chance of proving it was him?” Xavier asked.

Charlie pursed her lips together as she nodded. “It’s going to be a he said, she said battle” Charlie sighed. “And I highly doubt Casey will own up to this, so....” Charlie said as she trailed off.

“It’ll be hard to get him convicted?” Xavier asked and Charlie nodded lightly.

“But, you mark my words Xavier, I’ll get him into a jail cell if it’s the last thing I do” Xavier smiled lightly as he rubbed his hand. Charlie looked down and saw blood. “What have you done, your bleeding”

“It’s not my blood” Xavier shook his head and Charlie knew immediately what had happened.

“Xavier” Charlie sighed.

“Well he deserved it. He....he hurt my fiancée”

“We don’t need you going up on assault charges right now” Charlie sighed “Go get yourself cleaned up and from now on, stay away from Casey” Xavier nodded lightly before he made to walk to the bathroom, just as Ruby appeared into the room.

“Rubes” Xavier said softly as he walked over to her and went to touch her arm. Ruby shrugged back, avoiding Xavier from touching her, before she walked away, and over to Charlie.

“I’m ready now if you want to take me to the hospital then the station” Ruby said monotonously as she looked beyond Charlie, staring into nothing.

“Rubes, I thought I was going to take you” Xavier said, but Ruby seemed to ignore his comment.

“Mum” Ruby said. Charlie looked up and saw the look of hurt on Xavier.

“I thought we’d agreed that Xavier could take you?” Ruby shook her head.

“I just want you to be there Mum” Ruby said. Charlie nodded lightly before looking to Xavier, she could see Ruby was hurting him, but Ruby didn’t realise what she was doing and right now, Ruby was all that mattered.

“Okay, so I’ll get Jacob up and give him his breakfast” Xavier said and Charlie smiled lightly before she picked up her car keys and her bag, before she and Ruby left the house.

Thank you Cally, totally, ldscott, Zoe, Sarah, Chester-Sam, soph1303, JosieTash, pembie, RR1 and chax47 for the comments. :wub: Hope you like this one!

Chaper 84

Ruby sat in the hospital bed with Charlie by her side. “I’m scared Mum” Ruby said as she felt herself welling up with tears.

“Hey, there’s nothing to be scared about” Charlie said as she took a told of Ruby’s hand and held it in comfort. “There just going to check you over for any internal injuries, STI’s, maybe give you the morning after pill”

“Oh God, I didn’t even think about that” Ruby cried “What if he got me pregnant”

“Hey, it’s okay” Charlie said “We don’t need to worry about that until if it was to happen” Ruby sighed lightly as she pulled at a thread on the bed sheet before Sid walked into the room.

“No” Ruby said as she shook her head “Mum, I don’t want it to be Sid. Isn’t there another Doctor?”

“I’m sorry Ruby, I’m the only one available right now” Sid said.

“Then I’ll wait” Ruby answered.

“Sweetie” Charlie said “Just let Sid do his job” Ruby exhaled lightly before she nodded her head. “I’ll just be right outside, okay” Charlie said and Ruby shook her head as she held tightly onto Charlie’s hand.

“Can’t you stay with me?”

Charlie looked up to Sid, who gave a gentle nod. “Of course I can” Charlie smiled lightly as she sat back down next to her daughter’s bed, as Sid began the necessary tests.

Xavier was sitting playing with Jacob and his building blocks when there was a knock at the door. Xavier jumped up to answer it, and was less that amused to see Brax standing at the other side. “Hey, is Charlie here?”

“No” Xavier shook his head “She’s not in” Xavier said as he went to close the door.

“Hey, mate” Brax said he held his hand out, stopping him from closing the door.

“I’m not your mate” Xavier spat. “You know there was me last night telling Charlie she should give you that second chance” Xavier trailed off as he shook his head. “Well from now on I am going to do my best to keep her and Ruby away from your family. You’re nothing but trouble”

“Hey, mate, I just came to see if my girlfriend wanted to catch some brunch before she went to work”

“She not working anymore today and she doesn’t want to have brunch with you”

“Well I think Charlie can make up her own mind eh” Brax said, feeling like there was something he didn’t know. “What’s with this attitude? Has something happened here I need to know about?”

“Like you don’t already know what he’s done” Xavier spat.

“Who? Who’s done what? What you talking about?”

“You’re brother raped my fiancée” Xavier retorted.

“What” Brax said sounding genuinely shocked “Look, I know Heath is many things, but he isn’t a rapist”

“No he’s not” Xavier said “I was talking about Casey”

“Casey” Brax laughed in disbelief “He’s even less likely to do that. He’s a big softie. He’d never hurt anyone”

“And you really think Ruby would lie about this?” Xavier questioned “After what happened to Charlie. After knowing – and hating – that she is a product of this terrible act. You really think she would make it up?” Because I certainly don’t”

“Casey? Are you sure?” Brax asked and Xavier nodded lightly as he felt Jacob’s little hands gripping onto his.

“You going to stick up for him as well as Heath are you?”

“If Casey did this” Brax shook his head as he formed a fist with his hand “I’ll kill him” Xavier could see the anger building in Brax’s face. “You positive she said it was Casey?”

“Yes” Xavier nodded as Charlie and Ruby appeared back at the house. Taking one look at Ruby, Brax knew Xavier was telling the truth. The girl looked a mess. She looked terrified and was tightly gripping onto her mother. Charlie looked up to see Brax standing at the door.

“Charlie” Brax said softly “I eh...” Brax trailed off as she once again looked to Ruby. She was standing with her head down, her eyes red and puffy, her face tear stained.

“Hey, Rubes, why don’t you go inside?” Charlie said as she lightly pushed her daughter forward. Ruby walked slowly into the house before she disappeared from sight.

“Mamma” Jacob smiled as he ran out to her.

“Hey, you go inside with Xavier and be a good boy” Charlie said as he pushed Jacob forward and her ran into the house.

“Mamma play” Jacob said as he looked sadly at her.

“I’ll be in soon” Charlie said as she gestured for Xavier to leave Brax and Charlie to talk. Charlie closed the house door before she took a seat on the porch bench as Brax stood before her. “I take it you know”

“Xav just told me” Brax said.

“Do you believe him?” Charlie questioned.

“I didn’t want too” Brax answered honestly. “Not just because it’s Casey, but for Ruby. No one should go through this. But looking at her, I know it’s true”

“Yeah” Charlie pushed back her tears “You know I tried so hard to protect her from this happening. Charlie cried “I’d rather it was me going through this again than having to watch her deal with this”

“I’m sorry, Charlie” Brax said “As soon as I get home I’m gonna ring his little neck”

“No, you’re not” Charlie said “Just let the police do their job”

“Okay, well if there is anything I can do for you?” Brax asked.

“You can leave me alone and let me and Xav get Ruby through this”

“Charlie”

“No, don’t” Charlie shook her head “We’re done”

“But Charlie, I haven’t done anything wrong. It was Casey, not me”

“Casey is your bother” Charlie cried “And he.....he ra.....he ra......” Charlie broke down unable to say her daughter was raped. Brax stepped forward and went to pull her into a hug, but Charlie resisted. “You’re brother attacked my daughter. If I was to stay with you now....” Charlie trailed off as she shook her head. “We’re done. It’s the way it has to be”

“I know what Ruby is going through is going to be difficult, but Charlie, you deserve to be happy, and I don’t think breaking things off with me....you don’t need to do this”

“We’re finished” Charlie said “Ruby is always going to come first. That’s what you need to do when you are a parent. I can’t date her ra....I can’t date her attackers brother. I’m sorry, but we’re over” Charlie said before she stood up and walked into the house, wiping the tears from her face as Jacob ran over to her and into her arms. “Where’s Ruby?” Charlie questioned.

“In the shower” Xavier sighed. “I tried to talk to her but she just said she was dirty and needed to shower”

“She’ll talk to you when she is ready” Charlie said as she sat down on the couch next to Xavier, placing Jacob on her knee. “She’s not doing this on purpose”

“I know, but I just feel so helpless” Xavier said as he felt himself welling up. “I want to help her through this”

“You can” Charlie said “Right now; it seems Ruby feels uncomfortable around you. And it’s nothing to do with you Xavier she’s just trying to deal with this. Just let her know that you are there for her when she is ready to talk and she’ll get there Xav. It might take some time, but she will get there”

“I know” Xavier nodded as he listened to Charlie. “How did she get on at the hospital and the station?”

“As well as she could have” Charlie sighed “Sid said it’ll be a few days before they get the test results back. They try to speed them up, because of the circumstances, but it’s still going to be a few days”

Xavier nodded lightly “And at the station?”

“She did good” Charlie sighed “It took her a while, but she got what happened out and they’re going to go around and question Casey at one point today”

“Charlie, you do think Ruby is telling the truth, don’t you?” Xavier asked tentatively.

“There’s not a doubt in my mind that she’d lie about this, especially after what happened to me” Charlie answered “Why? Don’t you believe her?”

“Of course I do” Xavier said “But sometimes if another option comes up, you know, you’d rather believe that than that she was raped”

“What other option are you talking about, Xavier?” Charlie asked feeling confused.

“When I went to confront Casey this morning, he denied the rape” Xavier said.

“Well he is obviously going to isn’t he?” Charlie questioned.

“I know, but, he didn’t deny that they’d been together” Xavier said “He said they had sex, but it was consensual”

“Xav, I think you’d just rather believe that, because it’s hurts so much to think someone could hurt Ruby as much as they have. Of course I wish so much that this didn’t happen, but there’s no way that Ruby would lie about this”

“You think I’m lying?” Ruby questioned and Xavier turned around as he shook his head.

“Rubes, no I...” Xavier trailed off unsure of what to say. A tear rolled down Ruby’s cheek as she looked down to her engagement ring and rolled it around her finger.

“You’re supposed to believe me” Ruby cried “You’re supposed to believe me and stand by me no matter what. Because it happened Xavier. Casey raped me and that hurt but what hurts me even more is that my fiancé doesn’t believe me”

“Rubes, I do, I do believe you” Xavier said as he stood up from the couch and walked over to Ruby, and tried to take her hand into his, but she pulled away and took a few steps back.

“No....no” Ruby cried “Just leave me alone” Ruby shouted before she ran from the house, in floods of tears.

Thank you Dingo x, Chester-Sam, Sarah, pembie, CharlieandBrax4Ever, soph1303, once_upon_a_mind, Chax47, RR1 and Sazzle for the comments. :wub: Hope you like this one. :unsure: CharlieandBrax4Ever, I can't really think of anything at the moment, but I did notice you started posting one. If I think of anything, I can let you know, or if you need any help, don't hesitate to drop me a message, and I'd be glad to try to help out. :)

Chatper 85

Brax stormed into the house to find Casey sitting on the couch, already wearing a black eye and a very red and sore looking nose. “What the hell were you thinking” Brax yelled as he grabbed onto Casey by the collar and pulled him to his feet.

“I didn’t do it” Casey protested.

“You think Ruby is going to lie” Brax yelled as he flung Casey against the wall. Casey winced as he felt pain shooting through his body. “After what happened to her Mother do you really think Ruby is going to make something like this up?”

“She must be” Casey yelled as he struggled to free himself from Brax’s grasp. “I swear Brax, I didn’t. Just let me go”

“Let you go” Brax yelled “I’m gonna kill ya”

“Oi oi Brax” Heath said as he walked into the room and pulled Brax back, letting Casey go. “What you doing”

“Trying my hardest not to deck him” Brax spat “Dirty little rapist”

“He said he didn’t and I believe him” Heath said.

“What’s the girl going to lie for?” Brax said as he looked at Casey, disgusted.

“Because she doesn’t want to admit she cheated on her fiancé” Heath said.

“So she cries rape and draws even more attention to herself?” Brax asked “Don’t be so stupid Heath”

“Well at least I’m remaining loyal to my bro” Heath spat “He said he didn’t do it, so he didn’t do it. You go off and live with your girlfriend and her liar of a daughter if you feel so strongly about this”

“Yeah well thanks to him Charlie just ended it with me”

“Why’s that my fault?” Casey questioned.

“Because you raped her daughter. She said we can’t be together anymore because you’re my brother and you did that to Ruby”

“But I didn’t” Casey once again protested “Brax, please believe me. We had sex, I’ll admit that, but it wasn’t rape, Ruby didn’t protest to anything last night. I’m your brother” Casey cried “You should believe me”

“Well I don’t” Brax spat “You disgust me Case. Now get out of this house. You’re not welcome here anymore”

“You can’t chuck him out” Heath said.

“To bad because I have” Brax yelled “If you don’t like it you can go with him”

“Nah it’s not your house mate” Heath said “Case and I are staying”

“Yeah, who pays the bills?” Brax questioned.

“Mum got on fine when you were in jail” Casey replied.

“Yeah well I’m back now” Brax said “And you’re going to get out of here”

“No” Casey said “This is my house. If you want someone to leave, then you go”

“Don’t you push me Casey or I will do far worse to you than whoever already hit you”

“Can you believe Xavier did that” Heath laughed.

“You think it’s funny?” Brax asked as he looked at Heath.

“Nah” Heath shook his head as he took a few steps back from Brax, fearing for the mood he was in.

“Now get out of this house Casey” Brax spat “Before I do something to you that I’m going to regret” Casey sighed lightly as he walked to his bedroom to pack a few things, but didn’t manage to get far, as the police had come knocking on the door.

“Hello, could we talk with Casey Braxton please?”

“Nah, he’s not home” Heath lied.

“Can you tell me where he is?” Georgie asked.

“Dunno hey” Heath said.

“Oi, you shut up and get outta here” Brax said as he pushed Heath away.

“Officers” Brax smiled “What can I do for you?”

“As we’ve already mentioned we’d like to talk to Casey” Georgie said.

“I guess this is about what he did to Ruby Buckton” Brax questioned.

“We’re not able to discuss anything with you, Mr Braxton” Avery said “If you could please get Casey for us”

“Sure” Brax nodded as he walked down the hall and into Casey’s bedroom, but found the room empty and the window open. “Heath” Brax muttered “Heath....oi Heath” Brax shouted as he walked out of Casey’s room and down the hall, but Heath was also know were to be seen.

“So, do I chase after her or let her have some space?” Xavier asked.

“I think you know” Charlie answered and Xavier nodded lightly.

“Well do you want to go after her then, because I think someone should?” Charlie nodded as she stood up and put Jacob down on the couch next to Xavier.

“Mamma” Jacob cried as he held his arms out to go to Charlie.

“I’m sorry baby but Ruby needs her Mamma right now” Charlie said before she ran from the house, leaving a screaming Jacob behind. She searched the beach, Angelo’s, Surf Club and the Diner, but she couldn’t see Ruby anywhere. It was then when her mobile began to ring as she saw Bianca’s name flashing across the screen. “Bianca” Charlie answered “I can’t really talk right now I -”

“Ruby is here” Bianca said “She’s not making any sense, she’s crying about something to do with Xavier and Casey and lying and -”

“Okay, I’ll be right there” Charlie said before she hung up her phone and ran all the way to Bianca’s place and found Ruby in tears in April’s arms. “Hey, Rubes” Charlie said softly as she bent down near her daughter. Ruby released her grip from April and fell into her mother.

“He doesn’t believe me” Ruby cried “My own fiancé doesn’t believe me”

“He does” Charlie exhaled lightly “He’s just finding it hard to take. No one wants to think about that happening to someone they love more than anything”

Bianca and April shared a confused glance. “But it did” Ruby cried “And no matter how much we don’t want to believe it, it’s doesn’t matter because it happened. He raped me, Mum” Ruby cried “Casey raped me” Ruby cried and April and Bianca gasped in shock as they both covered their mouths with their hands.

“I know” Charlie said, once again trying to stop her own tears from falling.

“Can I use your shower?” Ruby asked as she looked up to Bianca.

“Of course you can” Bianca answered.

“No, Ruby” Charlie said “You don’t need another shower sweetie”

“I do” Ruby cried “I feel so disgusting. Mum please just let me go shower”

“Okay” Charlie nodded lightly as she let go of her daughter, and watched as she walked up the stairs, heading for the shower. Charlie looked to Bianca and April as her eyes began stinging with tears.

“Charlie, I’m so sorry” April said “I left her with Casey last night” April said as a tear rolled down her cheek. “She said they were just talking and she’d be fine. I should never have left her”

“Don’t blame yourself” Charlie shook her head “The only person to blame here is Casey and he’s going to go down for this”

“Casey” Bianca shook her head “Poor Ruby. I can’t believe he’d do that”

“Shocked me too” Charlie sniffed back “I just wish I could have protected her better. I promised myself I’d never let anything like this happen to her and I failed her. I wasn’t there to protect her”

“Charlie” April said “Ruby was having a night out with me and Indi. You can’t be there to protect her all the time. I mean she’s 19, she’s......it should have been Indi and I making sure she was okay”

“Look” Bianca said “There’s no point in you doing this. I think we just need to concentrate on Ruby right now, and any help you need to help her through this. And if you ever need anyone, Charlie, for Ruby or for yourself, you know I’m always here”

Charlie smiled lightly at her friend as she wiped her eyes. “She just always wants to be in the shower. This is her third one today and it’s just passed noon” Charlie said as she glanced down at her watch.

“Poor girl” Bianca sighed “But I understand why. The way you feel after that...” Bianca trailed off as she recalled her own rape, a few years back.

“I know” Charlie said.

“Hey, April why don’t you go put the kettle on” Bianca suggested. April nodded as she jumped up from the couch and disappeared from the living room. “Are you okay?” Bianca asked “It must be bringing back bad memories for you to”

“I’m trying so hard to push them away, because I can’t make it about myself right now” Charlie sighed “Ruby needs me to help her and I need to be there for her 100 per cent”

“Well like I said, I’m always here if you need to talk about anything” Bianca smiled and lightly patted Charlie’s shoulder.

“I know” Charlie gave her friend a thankful smile.

“And even if you need help with Jacob” Bianca said “It can’t be easy trying to keep a little one entertained and help Ruby”

“I’ve been ignoring him all day, poor guy” Charlie sighed “Xav’s been great with him, thankfully”

“How’s Xav taking this?” Bianca asked.

“As best as he can I guess. He’s doesn’t want to believe it happened and Ruby won’t go near him. So I think him helping out with Jacob is keeping him occupied, so he doesn’t do anything stupid to Casey and it’s keeping his mind off Ruby not wanting to talk to him”

“Well it’s still early days yet” Bianca said. “I’m sure she’ll open up to him eventually”

“Yeah” Charlie agreed as her mobile went off and she saw Brax’s name flashing across the screen. She bit her lip as she cancelled the call, before placing her phone down on the coffee table, just as April appeared back with their coffees. “Thanks, April” Charlie said as she took the cup into her hand.

“It’s okay” April smiled softly. “I’ll go see if she is doing okay, leave you two to talk” Ruby said before she disappeared up the stairs.

Thank you Chax47, Sarah, Dingo x, Zoe, Jen1205, JosieTash, charlie-brax, soph1303 and RR1 for the comments. :wub: Hope you like this next one.

Chapter 86

April stood outside the bathroom door. She couldn’t hear the shower running, but the sounds of muffled cries were coming from Ruby. “Rubes” April said softly as she knocked on the door. After a few moments, the door opened ever so slightly and April took this as an invitation into the room. She pushed the door open further and walked in, to find Ruby wrapped in a towel, mascara lines running down her face with her tears. “I just wanted to see if you were okay?”

“I can’t work the shower” Ruby cried as she bowed her head down.

“Oh” April said “Yeah, it’s newly fitted, pretty simple once you know how” April smiled as she walked over to the shower and pointed to one of the buttons. “You need to press this one and this one together to switch it on. This one here controls the temperature, this one the pressure and this one here turns it off”

“Sounds complicated for a shower” Ruby said quietly.

April let out a small laugh. “Tell me about it. Some Italian brand that Bianca just had to have. Said it was the best of the best. But I think a shower is a shower”

“Me too” Ruby said before she sat down at the edge on the bathtub.

“Do you want me to leave you to shower?” April questioned. Ruby shook her head as she gestured for April to sit down next to her. She put her arms around Ruby as she sat down, and Ruby rested her head against April’s shoulder. Playing with her engagement ring in her hand, Ruby sighed lightly.

“I can’t believe he doesn’t believe me”

“You know, I think he does, but he’d rather just not because it’s easier” April said “He loves you so much Ruby, and it’s probably so hard for him to accept that someone could do that to you and he wasn’t there to help. He wasn’t there to stop it from happening. Like your Mum, he probably feels like he failed to protect you and it’s hurting him. Ruby not believing and not wanting to believe are two different things. This is just his way of trying to process it. It was a huge shock and he will come to terms with it eventually”

“You think so?” Ruby questioned.

“I know so” April answered.

“And what about me? Because right now, I don’t even want to be here anymore. I just feel so disgusting and dirty and I just feel horrible”

“Rubes” April said “It’s only just happened. Over time it’ll get easier to cope with and you and Xav can move forward” Ruby nodded lightly as a tear escaped her eye.

“Why did I convince you to let me stay with him” Ruby cried. “He wouldn’t leave me alone and I thought by giving him 5 minutes to talk......but then he.....” Ruby shook her head as the tear fell. “Casey” Ruby cried “I once loved him. I once slept with him willingly. We had so many nice memories of being together, but now” Ruby shook her head. “He’s destroyed that. Now all I’ll think about is what he’s done”

“I’m sorry” April sniffed back a tear “I should have never left with you him”

“It wasn’t your fault. You didn’t make Casey do anything”

“No, but still” April said “If I stayed with you, this wouldn’t have happened”

“You’re not to blame, April” Ruby shook her head “I stayed with Casey, I kissed him and it was my fault that this happened. I shouldn’t have done that, but now I’ve really paid for it haven’t I. I cheat on Xavier, and then to top it off I was....” Ruby trailed off.

“You didn’t cheat on Xavier” April sighed.

“I kissed Casey” Ruby cried “A kiss....I cheated on him. Maybe I got what I deserved”

“Ruby, no one ever deserves this” April said. “No matter who or what the person is like, no-one deserves this” Ruby sighed lightly as she gripped tighter onto the towel that was wrapped around her.

“If you say so” Ruby sighed lightly before she looked towards the shower. Noticing this April stood up.

“Well I’ll leave you to it” April lightly rubbed Ruby’s back in comfort before she left the bathroom.

Heath pulled Brax’s Ute up at the little shed that Heath and Brax had often used as a place to hide out. Casey sighed lightly as he got out of the car and walked up to the building. “So, what’s the big plan, Heath?” Casey asked “We just stay here forever?”

“Until I get this sorted, yeah” Heath said as he opened the door and they walked into the room.

“So, doesn’t this make me look guilty? Running away from the cops?” Casey questioned as he took a seat on one of the crates.

“You’re a Braxton Casey they’re going to pin this on you no matter what” Heath replied “We just need time to think”

“What’s the point if they are going to find me guilty anyways?” Casey asked “Shouldn’t I just talk to them?”

“No” Heath yelled “You never talk to the cops” Casey shook his head lightly.

“Heath, this is stupid” Casey said.

“What else do you want to do?” Heath yelled “If you talk to the cops Case, that’s it. They’ve got you, you’ll go to court and they’ll find you guilty”

“Maybe not” Casey sighed “If I tell them how it happened”

“Yeah and how did it happen?” Heath asked. Casey closed his eyes as he rested his head back against the wall and remembered that night.

Casey and Ruby walked out the club and along the side alley, until they were alone. Casey smiled lightly as he tucked Ruby’s wavy locks behind her ear, before cupping his hand against her cheek. Ruby smiled nervously before Casey placed his lips against hers, kissing her softly. Ruby pulled back and shook her head lightly. “Casey” Ruby said “We shouldn’t”

“Shhh its okay” Casey smiled before he kissed Ruby once more, and this time, Ruby gave in, kissing him back. The kiss became more passionate as Casey ran his hands up Ruby’s back.

“We left the club and then we started making out, one thing led to another and then we....you know” Casey said.

“Well stick to the story mate” Heath said.

“Why?” Casey questioned.

“Well if you’re going to tell the cops that just make sure you stick to it”

“Well of course I will” Casey sighed “It’s the truth, isn’t it. And I thought you just said I wasn’t to talk to the cops”

“Well nah but....just stick to your story” Heath said.

Casey shook his head at his brother. “So how long do you think it’ll be before you come up with this great plan?”

“Good plans take their time mate” Heath said and Casey screwed his face up, confused. Sighing lightly he once again rested his head against the wall as he closed his eyes.

Charlie sighed as she once again cancelled the call from Brax. “How long is it going to take him before he gets the message?” Charlie sighed.

“Oh I bet a few more calls” Bianca sighed. “How many has that been now?”

“Four” Charlie sighed.

“He’s nothing if not persistent” Bianca said. “You sure you don’t want to give him that second chance? I know you still love him. Although you are seeing Ryan right now”

“The thing is Bianca, I want to so much, and I did, but then the stuff with Ruby happened” Charlie said and Bianca pulled a face on confusion. “I told Ryan that Brax was back, who he was and how I felt about him. Ryan broke up with me when he saw me and Brax talking. He said Brax had my heart and he could never compete with that. Anyways, I went around to see Brax yesterday and we ehm...”

“You slept with him?” Bianca questioned.

“No” Charlie shook her head “We just kissed, but yeah, we decided to get back together”

“So you’re together, but you keep ignoring his calls?” Bianca said as she once again pulled a face of confusion.

“No” Charlie said “I broke up with him this morning”

“Charlie, why?” Bianca asked and Charlie pulled a face as she looked at Bianca.

“Why do you think? Casey is his brother and he....” Charlie pursed her lips together, still not being able to bring herself to say the word. “I can’t possibly be with him now, can I?” Charlie questioned.

“Well I see why you feel you needed to break up with him, but it wasn’t Brax’s fault. You know he didn’t make Casey do anything”

“I know that” Charlie exhaled lightly “But he is his brother and I feel like if I were to date him now, it would be too hard for Ruby to cope with”

“Look, Charlie this is entirely you’re choice, and you need to do what you feel is right, but isn’t Brax like the love of your life?”

“Yeah” Charlie nodded “But Ruby is my daughter and the love I have for her, it doesn’t come close and if Ruby isn’t comfortable with me dating Brax then I’m not going to see him”

“You know Ruby is pretty lucky to have you as a mother” Bianca smiled. “You’re willing to sacrifice your own happiness for her sake”

“That’s what being a Mother is all about” Charlie said “Sometimes you need do things you’re not entirely happy about, for their sake”

Bianca smiled lightly “Okay, but let me ask you this” Bianca said “Do you know how Ruby feels about you dating Brax?” Charlie shook her head lightly. “Well maybe you should find out?”

“I think Ruby has enough going on just now” Charlie said “But no” Charlie shook her head. “Brax and I, I think I just have to accept it’s not going to happen again”

Thank you so much chax47, Sabrina, RR1, JosieTash, Zoe, Cally, Shezza, pembie, Sarah, Aden_Belle, soph1303 and Dingo x. :wub: pembie, re your PM, love your theory! You may be right, you may be wrong, will just have to wait and see :P

Chapter 87

Charlie and Ruby walked back into the house and Jacob immediately jumped down from the couch and over to his Mother. “Hey baby” Charlie smiled as she held her son in her arms, as she looked at the glance being shared by Ruby and Xavier.

“Rubes” Xavier said “I ehm -” Ruby exhaled lightly before she disappeared from the room. Xavier sighed lightly before he stood up from the couch and made his way to the door.

“Where are you going?” Charlie questioned.

“I don’t know” Xavier said “But I just need to get away from here. I need to.....” Xavier trailed off before he opened the door and walked away. Charlie sighed lightly as she looked down to her son who was grinning happily in her arms.

“Let’s go see what this sister of yours is doing, hmm” Charlie said as she walked down the hall and into Ruby’s bedroom, but she wasn’t there. Sighing lightly Charlie turned around and walked into the bathroom, where she found Ruby, pulling a towel out of the cupboard. “Sweetie” Charlie said, startling Ruby slightly. “You don’t need another shower”

“I don’t feel clean” Ruby replied. Charlie exhaled lightly as she put Jacob down on the floor and he ran across to the bath and picked up the rubber duck that was sitting on the edge.

“Rubes” Charlie said softly “You are clean”

“It’s not how I feel” Ruby answered. “I need to shower to get rid of feeling like this”

“Sweetie” Charlie said as she walked closer to her daughter. “I wish it was that simple. But you’re not going to get rid of these feelings by keeping on showering”

“Maybe it’ll work” Ruby sniffed back her tears as Charlie pulled her daughter into a hug. “The only time I feel clean is when I’m in the shower” Ruby cried “I feel normal, but any other time” Ruby stopped talking as she held tightly onto her mother, and it was then when the doorbell rang. Jacob ran from the bathroom and down the hall as Charlie followed behind. Jacob stood at the door excited to see who their visitor was.

“Georgie, Patrick” Charlie said as she opened the door to find Watson and Avery standing at the other side. “What can I do for you?”

“Can we come in?” Georgie asked and Charlie nodded lightly and they walked into the house, and over to the kitchen table.

“Can I get you a coffee?” Charlie asked, both Georgie and Patrick declined the offer and Charlie joined them at the table. Jacob looked up at the officers with curious eyes.

“Duck” Jacob grinned as he handed Patrick the small rubber toy. Patrick smiled lightly at the little boy as he took the duck in his hand. “No” Jacob squealed as he put his hands on Patricks and brought his head closer to his hand.

“Jacob no” Charlie said, as she knew exactly what he was about to do, but she was too late.

“Ahh” Patrick said as he pulled his hand away, the rubber duck dropping to the ground.

“Jacob” Charlie said sternly as she looked at her son. “We don’t bite. I’m so sorry Patrick”

“It’s alright” Patrick said “Sharp little teeth he’s got” Patrick shook his hand as he spoke. Georgie bit her lip to stop herself from laughing.

“Well Pat here might be alright, but I don’t know about Jacob” Georgie said “Assaulting a police offer. You could get jail time for that buddy” Georgie said as she looked at Jacob. Jacob looked to Georgie as he picked up his rubber duck, before he shyly ran around the table and hid his head against Charlie’s knee. Charlie lightly put her hand onto Jacob’s back and rubbed it gently.

“Well sticking him in a cell might not be a bad idea” Charlie laughed lightly “Might stop him biting people. Anyways” Charlie said “What brought you two around here? Have you arrested Casey yet?”

“Well, that’s what we wanted to talk about” Georgie answered “We went around to talk to him this morning, but unfortunately, he wasn’t home”

“Well, it appears that he did a runner with his brother” Patrick said.

“Brax?” Charlie questioned hoping this wasn’t the case.

“No, the other one” Patrick answered. “Brax was very helpful. Surprisingly. He invited us in, and answered some questions for us”

“Oh” Charlie smiled lightly.

“He also promised to bring Casey right to the station the moment he found him” Georgie said and Charlie smiled.

“Surprised us too” Patrick said.

“So, Casey did a runner with Heath?” Charlie questioned and Georgie nodded.

“It’s seems likely”

“Well if that doesn’t say you’re guilty I don’t know what does” Charlie answered. “Have you got a team organised to look for him?”

“Not at the moment” Patrick answered.

“Well why not?” Charlie questioned “He is a suspect in a ra....he did this. Ruby said so herself. You can’t let a ra....you can let him run free on the streets, free to do this again”

“Charlie, we don’t know anything solid at the moment” Georgie answered.

“You don’t know anything solid?” Charlie questioned “Georgie, Ruby said it was Casey. I don’t know how much clearer it could be. He did this and if you’re not going to get a team out looking for him then I’ll come into work and sort it out myself”

“I wouldn’t, if I were you” Patrick answered.

“And why not?” Charlie said “This boy ra....” Charlie trailed off “I can’t wait to question him and see him go down for a long time”

“I eh...I don’t think you’ll be doing any questioning” Georgie said tentatively. “Charlie, you’re not on this case”

“And why not? This is my daughter we are talking about” Charlie raised her voice.

“Exactly” Patrick answered “Surely you can see why you can’t be on this case”

“It’s not your decision to make anyway” Charlie replied.

“Charlie” Georgie said “We’ve already had the call from head office”

Charlie sighed lightly and she felt tears forming in her eyes. “What else am I supposed to do?” Charlie asked “This boy did this to my daughter and...” Charlie trailed off “I promised her I would send him down for this”

“Believe me, we’ll get him for this Charlie” Patrick said.

“You promise me?” Charlie asked and Georgie nodded.

“Of course we’ll get him” Patrick said. Charlie smiled lightly as she nodded her head. “So, we should probably get going” Patrick said as he stood up, with Georgie following him. Charlie walked across to the door and showed them out, as Jacob clung onto her leg.

“See you later” Charlie said as she closed the door and looked down at her son, who was grinning up at her. “Oh no” Charlie shook her head “What are we going to do with you hmm Mr Bitey” Jacob giggled as he looked up at his mother. “It’s not funny” Charlie said sternly.

“No” Jacob shook his head as he pulled on Charlie’s hand. Charlie was about to lift her son into her arms, but the doorbell rang. Sighing lightly she turned back around and answered the door.

“Brax” Charlie said “Didn’t you get the message when I didn’t answer any of your calls?”

“Look, Charlie” Brax said out of breath as he leaned against the door frame. “I just wanted to tell you...” Brax trailed off as he tried to catch his breath.

“Are you alright?” Charlie questioned.

“I just ran.....all the way....from home” Brax said.

“You ran here from Mangrove River?” Charlie questioned and Brax nodded. “Why didn’t you use your car?”

“Heath” Brax said “He drove off in it”

“So, you couldn’t have got a taxi or bus?” Charlie questioned and Brax shrugged his shoulders. “Do you want some water?” Charlie asked and Brax nodded as he walked into the house. Charlie left Jacob standing starting up at Brax as she went to the kitchen and poured Brax a glass of water.

“Hey mate” Brax said as he bent down to Jacob’s level. Jacob looked curiously at Brax as he went to hand him the duck.

“Duck” Jacob grinned. Brax smiled as he went to take it in his hand.

“Don’t” Charlie shouted out to Brax, but once again, she was too late. Jacob had bit him.

“Ahh the little....” Brax trailed off as he shook his hand.

“I’m sorry” Charlie said as she handed Brax the class of water.

“You Jacob are very naughty boy. We don’t bite” Charlie said sternly. Jacob looked up to Charlie as he stuck his bottom lip out. “Don’t start with the water works either” Charlie said. Jacob bottom lip trembled as he looked from Charlie to Brax.

“Away” Jacob cried as he pushed on Brax’s leg. “Aaa-ww-ay” Jacob cried as he continued to push Brax.

“Think he is trying to tell you something” Brax said as he looked up to Charlie.

“Mamma” Jacob cried as he once again pushed Brax.

“Jacob stop being silly” Charlie said as she pulled him back, and he clung onto her leg. “So, what did you come here for?”

“Casey” Brax said “He ran off with Heath. I think I know where he is but I have no way of getting there. I thought maybe you could take me”

“I can’t” Charlie shook her head “I need to be here for Ruby and for Jacob and I’m not allowed to be on this case, so I guess I should stay away from it”

“Oh” Brax said.

“Just go to the police and let them know where you think he is” Charlie said and Brax nodded lightly.

“Where who is?” Ruby asked as she appeared in the room.

“I’ll leave you to it” Brax said as he handed Charlie back the glass. “Bye Jacob” Brax smiled down at the little boy, but he hid behind Charlie.

“Mum?” Ruby questioned. Charlie exhaled lightly as she gestured for Ruby to come closer to her. She took a deep breath before going to tell her about Casey.

Thank you totally, Sarah, Cally, Chester-Sam, RR1, JosieTash, Shezza, Aden_Belle and Dingo x for the comments. :wub: Re the hint a couple of you want, I'm not going to say anything :P Although maybe I will put something in the next few chapters..... :unsure::P

Chapter 88

Charlie and Ruby sat down on the couch, as Jacob ran around in front of them with his little rubber duck. “The police went to talk to Casey this morning, but he seems to have ran away with Heath”

“So they’re not going to arrest him for this?” Ruby asked.

“Of course they will” Charlie answered “They just need to find him first”

“And how are they going to do that?” Ruby questioned “They could be anywhere”

“Well Brax seems to think he knows where they are, so maybe he’ll be found soon” Charlie smiled lightly as she rubbed her daughters arm in comfort.

“I highly doubt Brax will tell them where he is” Ruby said “They’re brothers he’s bound to be sticking up for him”

“No” Charlie shook her head “Brax believes you”

“Really?” Ruby questioned and Charlie nodded lightly. “I thought he’d be on Casey’s side”

“Me too” Charlie answered “But it seems not”

“Do you think you’ll ever get back together with Brax?” Ruby questioned “Now that you’re not with Ryan anymore, and you both love each other, so maybe know you do have that chance”

“I don’t know” Charlie shook her head “He’s Casey’s brother and Casey.....what he did, Ruby I....I can’t possibly date the brother of your....” Charlie shook her head as she pursed her lips together.

“Mum, I get where you’re coming from and I appreciate that you’re putting me before you own happiness, but I honestly wouldn’t have a problem with you dating Brax, if it’s what you wanted” Ruby said “I just want you to be happy too”

Charlie smiled lightly as she ran her hand through her daughter’s hair. “Well thank you, but right now I don’t think I need to be starting anything up again. Let’s just concentrate on getting you through this”

“You know, you still need to have a life” Ruby said “Yeah I really need you right now, but you don’t need to put your life on hold to help me out” Charlie smiled at her daughter as she thought about dating Brax again. “You really want this Mum, and you know, we need something good to happen right now, so maybe you should just give in to what you want”

“I don’t know” Charlie sighed “Don’t think Jakey boy would be too happy if Mummy went out with Brax” Charlie said and as a Jacob heard his name he ran over to the couch and climbed up and sat between Ruby and Charlie. “He’d have to win you over wouldn’t he?” Charlie questioned as she tickled her sons side. Jacob giggled before he hid his face against Ruby’s arm. Ruby smiled as she lightly pulled Jacob up onto her knee and gave him a hug.

“What do you think Jacob? Should Mummy date Brax?” Ruby questioned.

“No” Jacob shook his head.

“No?” Charlie questioned “You won’t even think about it?”

“No” Jacob yawned before he rubbed his eyes and held him hands out to go to Charlie. “Bankie” Jacob said, wanting his blanket.

“C’mon then. Mamma will put your down for a nap” Charlie said as she stood up from the couch and lifted her son into her arms. Jacob cuddled into Charlie, resting his head against her shoulder. Charlie walked through to his bedroom and laid him down in his cot, taking the rubber duck from his hands. Jacob took his blankie in his hands and he yawned once more. Charlie stood over the cot, and watched him as he soon feel into a deep sleep.

Xavier walked back into the house to find Ruby sitting on the couch, seemingly in a daze, staring out in front of her into nothing. He took a deep breath before he walked over and sat down beside her, making sure to keep enough of a gap to make sure Ruby didn’t feel too uncomfortable. “So, this is probably a bit of a stupid question right now, but how are you feeling?” Xavier asked.

“Dirty, violated, dirty some more” Ruby said as she continued to look straight in front out her. “I don’t really feel so good” Ruby said as a tear rolled down her cheek. “And to top it all off, I cheated on you”

“Rubes, you didn’t cheat one me. You didn’t want this”

“But I did” Ruby cried “I kissed Casey. I cheated on you and I got what I deserved” Ruby finally looked around at Xavier.

“No, Ruby, you didn’t. You asked him to stop. You told him no. You said you didn’t want this but he kept going. No one deserves this” Xavier shook his head.

“So you’re not mad at me for kissing Casey? Because it was only for a few seconds and I soon realised that it was you who I wanted. I love you so much and I’m so sorry for cheating” Ruby cried.

“No, I’m not mad. You’ve suffered enough with what he did to you I just want to help you through this, if you’ll let me. But if you need space, I’ll give you that too” Xavier said.

“So you still want to be with me? This happening hasn’t put you off me?”

“Don’t be so crazy, Rubes, you’re my gorgeous girl. I’d never want to be with anyone but you” Xavier smiled softly at Ruby.

“So you still find me attractive?” Ruby asked.

“Of course, Rubes. Nothing could ever change the way I feel about you” Xavier put his hand out and lightly touched Ruby’s arm in comfort. Ruby flinched slightly but let him hold her.

“What happened to your hand?” Ruby questioned.

“Oh, I kinda maybe hit Casey a bit this morning” Xavier answered.

“You punched Casey?”

“Yeah after what he did, I’d say it was what he deserved”

“If he was still standing, I’d say you didn’t hit him enough” Ruby said.

Xavier laughed lightly as he moved closer to Ruby. “It’s gonna be okay, Rubes. He’ll go to jail for this. I mean you’re Mum isn’t going to give up till he is put behind bars, you know that, right?”

“Yeah, I do” Ruby smiled before she leaned forward and rested her head against Xavier chest. Xavier smiled lightly as he gently put his hand on Ruby’s back, not wanting to overwhelm her by pulling her into a hug.

“You can hold me” Ruby said “I know I’m safe with you” Xavier smiled lightly as he placed a soft kiss on Ruby’s head and he wrapped his arms around her and held her tightly.

Charlie walked into the living room, after watching Jacob sleep for a while to see Xavier putting a blanket over Ruby, who had fallen asleep on the couch. “She alright?” Charlie asked and Xavier nodded as he walked over to the kitchen and flicked the kettle on.

“Do you want a cuppa?” Xavier asked.

“No” Charlie shook her head “No, thanks”

“Did she tell you that she kissed Casey, before it happened?” Xavier asked as he took a mug from the cupboard and Charlie nodded lightly. “Is it wrong for me to be a little mad at her?” Xavier questioned.

“Honestly, no” Charlie said. “She kissed someone else, so you have a right to be angry”

“Still, she’s paid for it, right” Xavier asked “It makes me so angry that he could do this. I could kill him”

“Might not want to threaten someone’s life in front of a cop” Charlie said “But also, you might want to get in line behind me and Brax” Charlie said and Xavier laughed lightly as he put a spoon full of coffee into the mug.

“If only we could” Xavier sighed “But no, I mean, she has a lot of people who loves her who’s going to help her through this and she has the best cop in town on the case” Xavier smiled as he looked at Charlie.

“Well, if you’re talking about me, I not actually on the case” Charlie said sadly.

“You’re not?” Xavier questioned and Charlie shook her head.

“She’s my daughter, so I guess it makes sense really” Charlie said “But Georgie and Patrick will get him” Charlie smiled lightly.

“Yeah, I’m sure they will” Xavier smiled and Charlie looked over to Ruby, who was sleeping on the couch, and bit her lip.

“Xav, do you think it would be okay if you stayed in with Jacob and Rubes for a while?” Charlie questioned.

“Sure” Xavier nodded “I mean they’re both sleeping, so I’m sure they’ll be no trouble” Charlie smiled lightly before she grabbed her cars keys and ran from the house.

Thank you Dingo x, Sarah, Cally, JosieTash, Zoe, Shezza, totally, chax47, RR1, Sazzle and pembie for the comments. :wub: Hope this one is okay.

Chapter 89

Charlie drove her car along the road heading for Mangrove River. She didn’t really know what she was going to say yet, but she just had the most overwhelming urge to go and talk to him. And that could happen a lot sooner than she though as Charlie saw Brax running along the road back in the direction of Mangrove River. “You can’t spare $2.50 for the bus?” Charlie laughed as she stopped the car next to Brax and rolled down the window.

“Thought this was more healthy eh, you know, keep active” Brax smiled as he leaned down against the window and looked into the car.

“Oh so you won’t want a lift then?” Charlie asked and Brax smiled as he opened the door and jumped into the car.

“So what’s bringing you out this way?” Brax asked as Charlie pulled away again in the car.

“I was going to talk to someone” Charlie said as she glanced briefly at Brax before looking back through the windscreen.

“Oh, anyone I know?” Brax asked.

“I think you know him pretty well” Charlie smiled.

“So, what was it you wanted to say to this guy?” Brax questioned.

“You know I don’t really know that yet. I was going to use this drive to sort it out in my head” Charlie said and Brax nodded lightly.

“Well I’ll stay quiet and let you think” Brax said, and they remained silent for the rest of the journey to Brax’s house. Once they arrived Brax got out of the car first and started walking up to the door before stopping and looking back around to face Charlie. “It was me you were talking about right? I mean you were coming to see me?” Brax asked as he started walking back to the car. Charlie nodded lightly as she switched off the engine and took a deep breath before getting out of the car and following Brax into the house. “So, do you want a drink or anything?”

“No thanks” Charlie shook her head “I just eh...I want to say...” Charlie trailed off as she looked down.

“You still don’t know?” Brax asked.

“No, I think I do, I just....I feel so selfish” Charlie sighed “Here’s me coming here and wanting to talk to you about us when Ruby’s at home trying to cope with what your brother did....you brother and I’m here...I should go” Charlie said as she turned to walk out of the door, before changing her mind and turning to face Brax again. “But I don’t want too, God I just....” Charlie walked up to Brax and pulled him into a kiss. Brax responded as he wrapped his arms around Charlie’s tiny frame, pulling her close to him, the kiss becoming more passionate. “I love you, Brax” Charlie smiled as she pulled back from the kiss. “I want us to try this. I think we have something worth taking a second chance at”

“Didn’t we attempt to have this second chance yesterday and you broke it off this morning?” Brax questioned.

“Well maybe we can just forget that this break up ever happened?” Charlie questioned.

Brax sighed lightly as he shook his head “I don’t know, Charlie” Brax said “I mean yeah, I love you, but I don’t want to keep mucking around. I mean we tried to be together and it didn’t work out. Maybe we just need to accept that we’re not meant to be” Brax said.

“Oh” Charlie said as she bowed her head down. “Well if that’s how you feel”

Brax laughed lightly as he shook his head. “Well maybe we could give this thing one more shot” Brax grinned. Charlie hit his arm lightly.

“Don’t do that” Charlie said “I thought you were being serious”

“Nah” Brax shook his head “Of course I want to be with you” Brax smiled as he tucked Charlie’s hair behind her ear before he cupped her cheek with his hand. “I love ya” Brax smiled before he placed a kiss on Charlie’s lips. Charlie responded as the kiss became more passionate.

“Mmm Brax” Charlie shook her head “I don’t want to rush back into anything”

“It’s okay” Brax said as he looked lovingly at Charlie. “You don’t need to do anything you don’t want right now”

“Can we just take it slow?” Charlie asked “Right now especially, I just don’t feel like rushing into...you know”

“It’s fine” Brax smiled “Besides, I think I need to win the main man in your life over first”

“Might have your work cut out” Charlie laughed “He was not pleased to see you this afternoon”

“Well I love a challenge” Brax smiled and Charlie laughed lightly before she wrapped her arms around him and pulled him into a hug. Brax returned the hug as he placed a kiss on the top of her head.

“Brax” Charlie asked as she stayed in the warm embrace. “Did you go to the police station?”

“I did” Brax answered “I told them where I thought Casey could be and they said they’d check it out”

Charlie smiled lightly. “I can’t believe you’re helping us. Casey is your brother and you’re going against him”

“I know” Brax answered “But I believe Ruby. There’s no way she is going to lie about this, and as much as I hate to think Casey could do something that, I do believe he did it. I’m not sure it was intentional; maybe he’s just misread the situation, but I still think he’s guilty”

“Well I just hope this is all over soon” Charlie said “I know Ruby is going to be like this for some time, but if he gets caught quickly, you know, at least that’s something, right. The guy responsible will be behind bars and it should give her some peace. I don’t expect her to forget. I don’t think she ever will, but....” Charlie trailed off as Brax felt her grip on him tighten.

“Hey, Rubes has got you” Brax smiled as he pulled back from the hug and looked into Charlie’s eyes. “And you’re amazing Charlie. She has you to help her and that’s all she needs” Charlie looked into Brax’s eyes and smiled. “And you know, if I was needed, I’m here for her too” Brax said and Charlie smiled before she kissed him once more.

Casey and Heath were sitting in the shed, waiting for Heath to come up with something. “So, did you bring any food?” Casey asked.

“Nah” Heath shook his head. “With the cops at the door I didn’t really have time to pack a picnic” Heath laughed.

“I’m starving” Casey sighed.

“Quit complaining” Heath said “If it wasn’t for me you’d probably be in a cell right now”

“Well maybe I deserve to be” Casey replied sadly.

“You said you didn’t do it. Why should you deserve to be in a cell?” Heath questioned.

“I didn’t” Casey sighed “At least I don’t recall doing it, but Ruby seems so adamant I did it”

“Well yeah, she just wants to get out of the fact that she cheated on Xavier. Pretty low of her crying rape, but she needs to do something if she doesn’t want to lose Xav” Heath said just as the sound of a car could be heard and Heath peered out of the window to see the police walking up to the shed. “How the hell” Heath muttered.

“Who is it?” Casey asked.

“The pigs” Heath sighed “Okay, you need to find a hiding place”

“No” Casey shook his head “I appreciate what you are trying to do Heath, but this is just making everything worse. I’m not hiding, I’m not running. I’m innocent” Casey stood up as he walked over to the door and opened it, giving himself up to the police.

“Casey” Georgie said “We’d like you to come with us”

Casey nodded lightly as he walked forward and out to the car with Georgie. “Heath” Patrick said.

“What, you going to arrest me for hiding an innocent man?” Heath smiled smugly.

“Just get off home yeah” Patrick said before he walked over to the car and drove off with Georgie and Casey back to the station.

“Oh I’m going to go home alright” Heath muttered “Brax isn’t going to know what hit him”

Thank you GerogieNZ, Dingo x, Sarah, soph1303, Aden_Belle, Shezza, JosieTash, Sazzle, Red Ranger 1, Cally, chax47, pembie, Jen1205 and Zoe for commenting. :wub:

Chapter 90

Charlie and Brax were sitting on the couch, Brax with his arm wrapped around her, his hand on her shoulder, and Charlie with her hand resting over Brax’s chest. “So, could you maybe give me some clues as to what your little one likes so I can win him over?”

“What, you asking me on what the best way is to bribe my son?” Charlie asked.

“Well you say bribe, I say win over” Brax laughed.

Charlie bit her lip as thought about it for a moment. “Nah, I think I might enjoy watching you try” Charlie laughed.

“Charlie, it’s important that he likes me, don’t you think?” Brax questioned.

“Of course it is” Charlie nodded.

“So then...”

“No, because you need to get to know him yourself, without cheating” Charlie said.

“Cheating? It’s not a test, Sarg” Brax laughed.

“C’mon, Brax, you know what I mean” Charlie said “And besides he's just a little kid. I’m sure you can find a way to win him over”

“Well I did win you over” Brax smiled as he leaned forward, placing a soft kiss on Charlie’s lips.

“You did indeed” Charlie smiled as she returned the kiss. “But okay, I will give you this one bit of advice” Charlie said. “Don’t try too hard. Just let him come to you. Oh and if all else fails, he likes cookies”

“Cookies aye?” Brax laughed. “I’m sure I could buy the wee man a box of cookies”

“That doesn’t mean I want you getting him all fat on cookies” Charlie said and Brax laughed.

“Noted” Brax said and Charlie smiled as she looked deep into Brax’s eyes. “What?”

“You gave up the boys for me, you’re taking on a teenager and a toddler. You surprise me, that’s all”

“All good I hope” Brax grinned.

“Of course” Charlie smiled gratefully before she kissed him once more, just as Heath came bursting into the room, causing them to pull apart.

“What the hell have you done” Heath spat as he grabbed onto Brax’s collar, pulling him to his feet.

“Get off me” Brax pushed Heath back.

“How could you turn in your own brother” Heath yelled as he punched Brax in the face.

“Hey hey” Charlie shouted as she stood up and placed herself between the men. “Fighting might be the way you normally sort things out Heath, but what’s it going to solve?”

Heath looked at Charlie and shook his head “This is all your stupid daughters fault”

“I think not” Brax said, while he rubbed the side of his face “C’mon mate, really, what’s she going to lie for?”

“What’s Casey going to lie for?” Heath yelled.

“Ehm to avoid going to jail” Brax answered. “But Heath, he should be going down for this. He did this”

“You’ve changed your tune” Heath spat “What about when it was me and you working on the drug crop and selling it off. You’d do anything to avoid jail”

“Yeah, well I’ve grown up” Brax retorted “And I’ve been to jail and paid for the wrongs I did. Casey needs to do the same”

“This is all your fault” Heath spat and he took a step closer to Charlie. “If he’d never met you things would be different. And he’d be sticking up for Casey that’s for sure”

“Nah mate, you’re wrong” Brax shook his head as he pulled Charlie closer to him, in a protective manner. “Because when it comes to rape...” Brax trailed off as he once again shook his head. “He should go to jail”

“Yeah, well thanks to you he might be now. Your pig mates have took him off for questioning” Heath glared at Charlie as he spoke the last part.

“He’s a suspect” Charlie said calmly. “Of course he is going to be taken in for questioning. It doesn’t mean they are going to lock him up and throw away the key just yet” Charlie said “Although if you ask me they should do” Charlie muttered.

“What chance is he going to have?” Heath questioned “With you being the sergeant of the station and the fact he is a Braxton. Poor kid doesn’t have a chance”

“Yeah well, I’m not allowed near the case” Charlie said sadly.

“Well your cop mates will still pin this on him. I mean it is your daughter”

“My co-workers will act nothing but above board” Charlie replied “They’ll only arrest him if they have enough evidence to pin this onto him”

Heath shook his head lightly at Charlie. “He’s innocent” Heath spat before he looked to Brax and shook his head in disappointment at his brother before he left the room. Charlie exhaled as she turned to face Brax and they immediately fell into a hug.

“You okay?” Brax asked as he ran his hand through her hair.

“Yeah” Charlie mumbled. “How about you? How’s the face?” Charlie asked as she looked up to see a red mark on Brax’s cheek.

“Yeah fine” Brax said, although Charlie could sense differently.

“Well you won’t need me to kiss it better then” Charlie teased.

“Well now you mention it, it does sting a little” Brax grinned and Charlie laughed lightly before she softly kissed his cheek.

Ruby was still lying sleeping on the couch with Xavier sitting one the chair next to it, watching her as she slept so peacefully. Xavier smiled lightly as she stirred lightly. She looked so peaceful, like she didn’t have a care in world, but Xavier knew that that was just wishful thinking right now, for when Ruby woke up, the same broken, scared and fragile Ruby would be back. Xavier hated how much Ruby was hurting right now, and he also hated the fact that he didn’t know what he could do to make her feel better. Xavier smiled lightly as he stood and made to leave the room to check on Jacob, but ran right back into the room when he heard Ruby’s screams. “No, Casey, I said no” Ruby shouted.

“Hey, hey, Rubes” Xavier said as he bent down next to her and put his hand on her arm. “Rubes”

“No, get off me” Ruby yelled as she pushed Xavier back, and losing his balance, Xavier fell to the ground.

“Ruby, it’s okay” Xavier said softly.

“No Casey please” Ruby screamed as she kept getting flashes of that night before her. The feeling of him breathing down her neck, the overwhelming scent of his cologne. “Casey” Ruby cried.

“Rubes sweetie, it’s me. Xavier”

“Xavier” Ruby sniffed back as she looked him in the eye for the first time. Her breathing was heavy as she tried to calm herself down as the door opened and Charlie walked back into the house.

“Hey” Charlie smiled as Ruby jumped up from the couch and ran over to her Mother, holding her tightly. “Hey, sweetie, it’s alright” Charlie said as she wrapped her arms around her daughter.

“She had a bit of a bad dream” Xavier said “Well, flashbacks, I think. She was calling me Casey”

“Aw sweetie” Charlie said as she lightly rubbed her daughters back.

“I can’t go to sleep again” Ruby cried “I’m always going to see it now”

“No” Charlie shook her head “You won’t. It’s still very early days yet. These next few weeks will be tough, but you’ve got me and Xavier here to help you get through this okay” Ruby nodded lightly as she kept her head pressed against Charlie’s chest. Charlie placed a soft kiss on top of her daughters head as Jacob could be heard waking.

“I’ve got him” Xavier smiled at Charlie before he walked across to Jacob’s bedroom, leaving Charlie to comfort a shaken up Ruby.

Charlie placed Jacob down in the highchair, as Xavier sat down at the table, ready to eat their dinner, but Ruby had stayed put in her bedroom, refusing to come out to eat. “Maybe I should take her a bowl in” Charlie said as she dished up some of the spaghetti bolognaise into Jacob’s bowl, before cutting it up for him.

“I don’t know” Xavier shrugged his shoulders “Maybe we don’t want to force her?”

“I know” Charlie said “But she has to eat” Charlie dished up a bowl for herself, before doing the same for Xavier.

“I guess” Xavier replied as he picked up his fork as started twisting it in the bowl to pick up the spaghetti.

“Meeehh” Jacob made a noise as he held his hand out in the direction of his bowl.

“In a minute baby, it’s hot just now” Charlie said as she took a forkful of her spaghetti. “Mmm Xavier, this is really good” Charlie smiled “Like really good. Have you never thought about being a chef?”

“I dunno” Xavier sighed “I’m not sure my mum would be best pleased. She wants me to be an accountant or an engineer or something fancy like that”

“But what about you?” Charlie questioned “What do you want?”

“I dunno” Xavier shrugged his shoulders before he took a drink of his water. “But a chef sounds kinda cool”

“Well providing you’re not just a one dish man” Charlie laughed before she looked back in the direction of the hallway. “I’m just going to take her a bowl” Charlie said before she picked up the bowl and dished a portion up before she walked through to Ruby’s bedroom. “Hey, sweetie” Charlie smiled.

“I said I’m not hungry” Ruby sighed.

“I know, but I thought I’d bring you a bowl just in case” Charlie smiled lightly as he placed it down on the desk. “And I didn’t make it, so you don’t need to be worried about that” Ruby managed a small laugh. “You know, you need to eat. Have you eaten anything at all today?” Ruby shook her head lightly as she looked down. “Well then I really think you should eat”

“So you’re going to let me eat in my bedroom?” Ruby questioned “I don’t need to come to the table like normal?”

“I think I could bend the rules a little” Charlie smiled as she lightly rubbed her daughters arm. Ruby smiled lightly at Charlie.

“I’ll think about it then” Ruby said quietly. Charlie exhaled lightly as she left the room, and walked back to the kitchen to find Xavier had given Jacob his spaghetti.

“Hey baby, you want Mamma to help?” Charlie asked.

“No” Jacob squealed as he pushed Charlie’s hands away. Charlie watched as her son used his hands to pick up the spaghetti and rammed it into his mouth, his face and bib covered in the red sauce.

“He’s having fun” Xavier laughed as Charlie sat back down at the table and Charlie agreed. “So, is she going to eat?”

“I don’t know” Charlie shook her head and Xavier sighed lightly.

“She’ll eat if she’s hungry” Xavier said.

“I hope so Xavier, I really hope so” Charlie sighed before she continued to eat her spaghetti.

Archived