Nothing Lasts Forever

Guest Danni02

Thank you so much RR1, ldscott, Sazzle, Sabrina, helen2289, Sarah, Aden_Belle, JosieTash, Arielxo and soph1303 for commenting. :wub:

Chapter 71

After their dinner, Charlie and Ryan had moved through to the living room, Charlie taking a seat on the couch as Ryan passed her a second glass of wine. “So, we could maybe watch a movie?” Ryan asked.

“Sure” Charlie nodded.

“What’s your favourite type?” Ryan asked as he pointed to the cabinet filled with movies, there must have been at least 100.

“Eh, I’m a sucker for a rom-com” Charlie admitted as she stood up and walked over to the cabinet. Ryan laughed lightly.

“Thought so” Ryan said. “Well there are plenty of those to choose from” Charlie gave Ryan a quizzical look. “Not that they are mines” Ryan added “Emma. A lot of these movies are hers. It’s kind of a tradition we’d sit down and watch a movie, you know movie and popcorn. It’s started off when she was a little girl. I thought as she got older she wouldn’t want to stay in and watch a movie with her father, but she still loved to do it. Sometimes we’d trade popcorn for ice-cream. So, yeah, unfortunately for me, I’ve seen a lot of rom-coms” Ryan said and Charlie laughed “But she knew it had to go both was so she’s had to sit though films full of fighting, cars, more fighting” Ryan laughed.

“Me and Rubes are the same” Charlie smiled “We’ll often sit down and watch a movie together but we’re both a fan of rom-coms, so it’s win-win there”

“Lucky you” Ryan laughed “But, if you want to watch a rom-com, I don’t mind in the slightest” Charlie smiled at Ryan as she looked through his collection, before deciding on Miss Congeniality. She passed it to Ryan and he put it into the DVD player, before he sat next to Charlie on the couch.

“Ah the FBI agent who poses as a beauty pageant contestant” Ryan said “Could be you” Ryan joked.

“I’m not an FBI agent” Charlie said.

“No, but you are a Police Sargent, so it’s in the same line of work, and well, your gorgeous so I’ve no doubt you’d win”

“Well as nice as that compliment was, I don’t think beauty pageants are my style” Charlie said.

“Maybe it’s a good thing” Ryan said “I don’t want lots of men eyeing you up. I’m kinda hoping things keep going this well with us”

“Yeah?” Charlie questioned “Well I don’t think you’ve anything to worry about. You’re a really sweet guy, and this.....it’s nice” Charlie smiled before she looked up in Ryan’s eyes. Ryan smiled before he leaned in to kiss Charlie.

“So” Ryan said as he pulled back. “We should watch this movie”

“Yeah” Charlie said as she cleared her throat. Ryan and Charlie then looked to the TV and began to watch the movie. After a few minutes Charlie looked around to Ryan, a big smile on her face.

Ruby closed the book and threw it down on the table. She’d been sitting revising for her assessment for almost 2 hours now and thought it was time that she took a break. She finished drinking her tea before she put the cup into the sink and walked through to Jacob’s bedroom and looked down into his cot, seeing he was still sound asleep. His thumb in mouth and his little green blankie held close to him. “You know Jakey, if mummy saw you sucking your thumb she wouldn’t be happy” Ruby whispered “So it’ll just be our little secret” Ruby smiled as she looked down at him. “You know mummy is out on a date tonight. It’s her third one in a week. Talk about quick, they must really like each other to keep meeting so often, but Ruby is happy for her, she deserves someone to love her unconditionally and to spend the rest of her life with. I hope she finds happiness. And you deserve a daddy too. Someone to love you and take you soccer or ballet, you know, whatever you end up liking, but you really do deserve a father. It’s not fair you’ll never remember yours. But I promise you now, the moment you want to know about him, you come to me, and I’ll tell you all about him. I promise I’ll be nice about him too” Ruby smiled as Jacob eyes fluttered lightly and his hand flew out to the side, as if reacting to a dream. “Sleep tight sweet pea” Ruby whispered before she left the room. She sighed lightly as she walked back down the hall and into the living room, just as there was a knocked at door and Xavier walked into the house.

“Hey” Xavier smiled.

“Hey, Xav, I thought you were working at Angelo’s tonight?” Ruby said as she walked up to and gave him a hug.

“I was. I just got sent home. They weren’t too busy so said they could do without me”

“Ah” Ruby smiled “Well it was very nice of you to come and see me”

“Mmm I thought it was too” Xavier grinned before he placed a kiss on Ruby’s lips.

“Mmm Xavier, I need to revise” Ruby said as she pulled back.

“No” Xavier shook his head “I think this is much more fun” Xavier smiled before he placed another kiss on Ruby’s lips.

“You want me to fail my assessment?” Ruby asked.

“Of course not” Xavier said “But you need a break. Because I know you Ruby and you’ve probably sat there all night revising, so I think its break time” Xavier smiled.

“Oh really” Ruby said and Xavier nodded. “So what do you suppose we do?” Ruby asked as she pulled Xavier forward as she walked towards her bedroom. Xavier smiled before he kissed her once more as they began tearing at each other’s clothes.

“Well, I’m not going to lie, I actually quite like that movie” Ryan said as he took the DVD out of the player as it finished.

“You like the movie or you like the swimsuit scene?”

“I’m not gonna lie, that could be one of my favourites, but I truly do like that movie”

“Hmm” Charlie said “Okay”

“You accusing me of lying, Miss Buckton?” Ryan asked.

“I wouldn’t do anything of the sort” Charlie said “But do bear in mind I am a police officer, so I kinda have a knack for this kinda thing”

“Oh, well I think your sensor is way off there” Ryan joked as he moved closer to Charlie, putting his hand on her thigh.

“Oh, well I am ever so sorry” Charlie said before she leaned in, and the pair started to kiss softly, before it became more passionate. She ran her hands up his back before resting them around his neck. Ryan gently pushed Charlie down, and they pair lay on the couch, in the passionate embrace. The kiss becoming more and more passionate. After a few minutes, Ryan pulled back and the pair sat up on the couch.

“Yeah” Charlie nodded “We ehm....we don’t want to move too fast”

“No” Ryan said “I really like you and I want to get this right”

“Yeah me too” Charlie smiled before she looked down to her watch. “I should probably get home”

“I’ll call you a cab” Ryan said as she stood up and walked over to the phone before making the call. “There’s one on its way” Ryan said as he walked back over to the couch, as Charlie stood up.

“Thanks. And thanks for tonight, it’s been great” Charlie smiled.

“Not a problem” Ryan smiled “Thanks for making some wicked cheesecake. You’ll have to give me the recipe” Ryan teased.

“Yeah, it’s on the back of the box” Charlie said before they laughed.

“So, I’ll see you again soon?” Ryan asked.

“Yeah, I’d like that” Charlie smiled.

“Great” Ryan smiled before they kissed once more. They we’re interrupted from the kiss by the sounds of a car horn.

“So that’s the taxi here” Charlie said as she pulled back. Ryan smiled lightly as he walked her to the door, before placing one final kiss on her cheek, before Charlie left for home.

Charlie walked into the house, noticing all of Ruby’s books left open across the kitchen table. Sighing lightly she walked over and closed them all up, piling them up on the table, before leaving the room, and walking into Jacob’s room and looked down at her son as he slept, his thumb still in his mouth, and his little blankie safely gripped in his other hand. “Mamma’s sorry she’s been leaving you a lot lately. Tomorrow is just going to be me and you” Charlie whispered and she gently stroked her hand over Jacob’s forehead, before he stirred. “Shhh, baby don’t wake up” Charlie said softly as she watched her sleeping son. “But mamma has met a really nice man. You never know, maybe it’ll work out, and you’ll have a Daddy. Because mamma wishes so much you had a daddy. There was one time where I thought you were the luckiest little guy ever because you had two daddies. Angelo would always be your daddy, but you would have had Brax too. But then just like that they both got taken away from you. But now mamma’s met a really nice man, she really hopes that things keep going good with him” Charlie stopped talking as she watched him sleeping. She smiled lightly as she once again stroked his forehead. “Sleep tight sweet pea” Charlie smiled before she walked out of room, leaving her son to sleep. She walked into her bedroom to get herself ready for bed. She smiled lightly as she thought about Ryan and what their next date could be.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you Soph1303, JosieTash, Dingo x, Sarah, once_upon_a_mind, RR1, ldscott, Zoe and Shezza for the lovely comments. Hope you like this one!

Chapter 72

Charlie was in the kitchen making up Jacob’s breakfast, as he sat rocking in the high chair as he babbled away. “You singing mamma a song?” Charlie asked as she looked around at Jacob and smiled.

“Ya ya” Jacob shouted as his head moved from left to right. Charlie laughed lightly at her son before she waked over to the high chair and placed the bowl down on the tray. Jacob reached forward and took the spoon from Charlie, wanting to feed himself.

“Clever boy” Charlie smiled as she walked over to the drawer and took out a second spoon, to help Jacob if need. Charlie looked up as she heard footsteps and whispering coming from the hall, and was shocked to hear the sound of Xavier’s voice. He’d spent the night.

“I think she’s still in bed, be quick” Ruby said as pushed Xavier forward. Just as Xavier was about to open the door, Charlie spoke.

“Morning” Ruby cursed under her breath as she and Xavier stood frozen, not turning around. “So, Xavier, what brings you here so early? I’m mean I know you wouldn’t have spent the night because Ruby and you both know my feelings about that”

“I....I.....eh” Xavier mumbled as he turned around and looked over to Charlie. Charlie sighed lightly as she looked at teens.

“Go home” Charlie said “You’re mum will probably be worried sick” Xavier nodded lightly before escaping the house. Ruby stood still, bracing herself for a telling off from her mother. “You want any breakfast?” Charlie asked. Ruby turned to face Charlie, confused. She knew that Charlie knew Xavier stayed the night, and wondered why she wasn’t being yelled at right now.

“Eh...yeah, I eh....some toast is fine” Ruby said and Charlie turned around and took the bread from the bread box and put two slices into the toaster. Ruby walked over to the table and took a seat as she looked questioningly at Charlie, who was pouring some milk into Jacob’s sippy cup.

“What?” Charlie asked as she looked to Ruby.

“Nothing” Ruby said as she shook her head.

“If you want me to shout at you, I can” Charlie said as she put the cup down on the highchair tray. Jacob looked at it and pulled a face.

“Baba” Jacob said, referring to his bottle as he pushed the sippy cup away. Charlie had decided to start weaning him from his bottles, the only time he would get one would be before bed. It had been a few days and so far it seemed to be working fine. He would always refuse at first, but soon enough, he would drink from the sippy cup, realising it was his only option.

“Well I don’t want you to shout at me, but Xav just spent the night, I kinda figured you would”

“Well you know how I feel about Xavier spending the night and I’m hurt that you betrayed me but it’s happened now so there’s nothing I can do, is there?” Charlie asked.

“Well no, but your reaction just isn’t what I expected”

“Well there’s no point in having one” Charlie spat “It’s happened now so all the yelling in world isn’t going to change it”

“Well for what’s worth, I am sorry” Ruby said “We didn’t deliberately disobey you. It just happened. He came over after work and we ehm...well yeah....and then we kinda fell asleep and next thing I know, I wake up, it’s morning at he is still here” Charlie sighed lightly as she took the toast from the toaster and passed it to Ruby, before getting the butter from the fridge and then taking the jam from the cupboard and put them on the table.

“I don’t want to hear about it Ruby” Charlie sighed “But you will not be having him staying over again”

“I know” Ruby said sadly. “So what’s my punishment?”

“You don’t get a punishment” Charlie said “You knowing how disappointed I am in you is enough”

“I think I’d rather have the punishment” Ruby mumbled, just as Charlie’s phone went off. Ruby looked to Charlie as a smile formed on her face as she read the text and Ruby assumed it was from Ryan. Maybe he was why Charlie didn’t fly off the handle at Ruby having Xavier stay over, Ruby thought. “So, how was the date last night?” Ruby asked.

“It was great” Charlie smiled.

“So there’s going to be more?”

“Definitely” Charlie grinned and it then Ruby’s theory was proven true. Charlie was happy because things with Ryan were good, so that’s probably why the events of the morning hadn’t turned into a screaming match. Ruby smiled to herself as she as she silently thanked Ryan, before she began to butter her toast.

Charlie and Jacob had headed down to the beach for the afternoon. Jacob excitedly jumped in and down in the sand as Charlie put a towel down for them to sit on. She took his sun hat out of her bag and placed it on his head, before she applied him with sunscreen. “No” Jacob said as he pulled the hat from his head.

“Hey, you gotta wear a hat sweetie. It’s hot today” Charlie said as she put the back on his head. Jacob sat down in the sand and began picking it up and dropping it back down again. Charlie smiled as she watched her son having fun in the sand. Picking up the sand and throwing it down over Charlie’s feet. “Are you burying mamma’s feet?” Charlie laughed. Jacob looked up to Charlie with a cheeky grin on his face before he looked back down to the sand, and continued to cover Charlie’s feet. After a while, Jacob looked up at Charlie and pointed down to the water as he pulled on her hand. “You want to go in?” Charlie asked as she stood to her feet and Jacob excitedly pulled on her before running off towards the ocean, stopping just at the edge to wait on his mother. Charlie stood behind him and took his hands into hers, before walking forward, their ankles being covered by water. Jacob giggled excitedly as he felt the soft sand squelching between his toes and walked further into the ocean. “Not too far baby” Charlie said as she stopped walking. Jacob looked up to her with a big grin on his face before he sat down in the water and began splashing his hands excitedly. Charlie sat down behind Jacob, as she protectively put her hands around his waist, to keep him safe. Jacob sat happily splashing in the water. Charlie smiled as she looked down at her son. She loved him more than anything, and wanted nothing more than for him to have a father figure in his life. Although Ryan seemed lovely and Charlie was excited about the prospect of seeing him again, she didn’t want to pin all her hopes on him, just in case, in some way they didn’t end up working out. But so far, she was enjoying spending time with Ryan and was hopeful for their future.

“Baba” Jacob said as he stopped splashing around and looked up at Charlie.

“You want a drink sweet pea?” Charlie asked as she stood up and lifted Jacob up into her arms. She walked back up to their towel and sat down before she pulled Jacob’s sippy cup out of the bag. She handed it to Jacob and he took it from her before taking a big drink. “Has all that splashing around made you thirsty?” Charlie said and Jacob grinned at Charlie, before taking another drink. “Mamma will have to get you out those wet clothes hmm” Charlie said and Jacob looked to Charlie.

“Cookie” Jacob said.

“Oh you don’t care about being wet, you just want a cookie, hmm” Charlie asked.

“Cookie” Jacob said again as he crawled over to Charlie’s bag and tried to get into it. Charlie laughed lightly as Jacob was stuck with the zipper.

“Cookie what?” Charlie said.

“Cookie cookie” Jacob said and once again Charlie laughed.

“No, Jacob, what do we say?” Charlie asked.

“Pwease” Jacob said as he grinned up at Charlie. Charlie smiled at her son before she opened her bag and took out a cookie for Jacob. Jacob eyes widened as he watched Charlie talking the cookie out the bag and passed it to him. “Ta” Jacob said before he climbed up onto Charlie’s knee as he happily ate his cookie. Charlie placed a soft kiss on the top of Jacob’s head before she looked to the side, and noticed Casey and a group of guys with their surfboards heading down the beach. Charlie’s eye’s widened as she noticed of the men. She was 110% sure that it was Heath. And if Heath was out of prison, there was every chance that Brax was too.

Thank you so much CharlieAndBraxLover, Zoe, Shezza, once_upon_a_mind, Sarah, pembie, teespazzr, Dingo x, Arielxo, JosieTash, RR1, Aden_Belle, Soph1303, totally, Sazzle, helen2289 and totally again! I hope you like this next one. I’m not so sure :( Also just want to warn you that the updates might come less often now as I am back to work so wont have as much time to write.

Chapter 73

Charlie and Jacob were back home and Charlie had just put Jacob down for a nap, when there was a knock at the door. Charlie exhaled lightly as she walked out of Jacob’s room and opened the door and was shocked to see it was no other than Brax standing before her. “Br...bra...” Charlie said unable to say much.

“Hey” Brax smiled “Long time no see”

“You say that like you’ve been away on some extended holiday”

“Well I guess I kinda have. Jail kinda is like an all-inclusive hotel” Brax laughed “You get your room, meals, activities”

“What do you want? I’m busy” Charlie said.

“I eh....I just wanted to say hey and I’m back and -”

“Okay” Charlie nodded lightly as she tried to close the door. But Brax put his hand out, stopping her from doing so. “I don’t want to speak to you, Brax”

“Charlie, please, just hear me out” Brax said. Charlie shook her head lightly.

“No, I don’t want to listen to it Brax” Charlie said as she once again tried to close the door.

“Well I’ll sit out here till you do” Brax said as he pointed to the bench out on the front porch. Charlie sighed lightly as she closed the door, walking away through the house and out of sight. She sat down on her bed as she went into the messages on her phone and began to type. Hey, hoping you’re not busy and able to come around? Really need a talk. She sighed lightly as threw her phone down on the best side table before she lay down on the bed and closed her eyes. This was typical, just as she let go and moved on, he had to turn back up. She was startled slightly as her phone vibrated, she didn’t expect the reply so quickly. Reaching her hand out she found her phone and read the message. I’m on my way. She smiled lightly before she put her phone back down and sat up in the bed before walking through to Jacob’s room, to check on him. He was sound asleep.

Brax sat outside the house and ran his hand over his forehead. He’s never stopped loving Charlie and wanted more than anything for the two of them to start things up again, but he did know what he would be asking a lot from Charlie, but he wanted the chance to prove that he had changed. Although he was serious about going straight before he went to jail, being inside made him even more determined to stay on the straight and narrow. There was no way he wanted to go back in there. He wanted to change. He loved Charlie so much and would do anything for her. He was determined he would win her back. He sighed lightly as he looked up, feeling the presence of someone standing before him. He smiled as he thought he was going to see Charlie, but instead he saw an angry looking Bianca. “What they hell are you doing here?” Bianca spat.

“I got out” Brax explained “And I came to see Charlie”

“Don’t you dare come here after being gone for almost 18 months expecting everything to be all great and rosy. Don’t you dare expect Charlie to take you back. You left her devastated Brax, she’ll never forgive you”

“Well that’s her choice, not yours” Brax said.

“Charlie made her choice when she broke up with you” Bianca said “You’ve not got a chance, Brax, if you love her, let her go. She deserves way better than some drug dealing river boy”

“Are you this wound up because you know Heath is home too? I guess you’ll be trying to keep yourself away from him, so you can’t have Heath, Charlie can’t have me?”

“This has got nothing to do with me and Heath. What Heath and I had was nothing compared to what you and Charlie had”

“Exactly. So I think what we had is worth fighting for” Brax replied.

Bianca shook her head lightly. “Charlie doesn’t. She’s moved on Brax. She is in a relationship with a great guy. She’s finally happy after everything that happened and I do not want you ruining that”

“Look, Bianca, I get that you care about Charlie, but this doesn’t have anything to do with you, so why don’t you just get off your little high horse and butt out. Charlie and I are meant to be”

Bianca laughed lightly as she shook her head. “She obviously doesn’t think so, considering she is in a relationship with someone else”

“I don’t believe you” Brax said as she shook his head.

“You don’t have too” Bianca said “But it’s the truth” Brax stood up as he shook his head. “If you love her, let her be happy. Surely you owe her that. Surely you owe Jacob the chance at having a father. You took his biological dad away from him, don’t do anything to ruin this either” Bianca said. Brax sighed before he looked down to ground.

“It wasn’t me who pulled that trigger” Brax said.

“No, but you as good as killed him” Bianca said “You’re mess led Angelo up there. You played as much a part of Angelo’s death as the man who pulled that trigger” Brax sighed lightly before nodding his head. “Just go home, Brax” Bianca spat before she walked away, and into Charlie’s house. “Charlie” Bianca shouted “Where are you?” Charlie walked through to the living room, her eyes looking read and puffy, like she was about to cry.

“Why did he have to come back?” Charlie asked her voice almost breaking “I finally let go. I let go and I moved on and then he’s back. And now he is always going to be here. I’ll see him all the time in town and I can’t....” Charlie trailed off as she shook her head. “God, why does my life have to be so complicated?”

“Because as I’ve already told you it would be boring otherwise” Bianca said as she stepped forward and placed her hands comfortingly on Charlie’s arms. “But, Charlie, don’t let Brax get to you. You’re with Ryan now, and you’re getting on well, right?”

“Yeah” Charlie nodded “It’s great”

“Then just forget about Brax. Yeah it’ll be hard to see him, but you’re starting up a new relationship Charlie and that’s exciting, so just enjoy this with Ryan”

“Well that’s easier said than done” Charlie sighed. “Forgetting about him. You know it took me 18 months to get to the point where I was starting to let go, starting to put the relationship in the past, and now he’s back. I’m not going to get the chance to forget now”

“You do want to, don’t you?” Bianca asked “You not thinking that maybe you and Brax -”

“No no” Charlie interrupted as she shook her head. “People like him never change and we’re not going to get back together, but that doesn’t stop it from hurting, I really love him and having to see him, when I know we won’t work together” Charlie trailed off as she looked down.

“Charlie, it’s always hard moving on after a failed relationship, but you will get over it. I mean look at you and Angelo, you were devastated there but you met someone else and moved on, and you know, before that you were hung up on Roman but you met Angelo and managed to move on fine”

“I know” Charlie sighed “But it only took a few months with Angelo too see we had something way better than I ever had with Roman, and then Angelo with Brax. But getting over Brax is taking a lot longer”

“Well the way I see it is if you’ve started seeing this Ryan guy then clearly some of the feelings must have gone. But Charlie, I know it’s hard, but just keep Brax in your past, and focus on Ryan and your future”

Charlie took a deep breath as she nodded her head. “I know....he’s not still sitting outside is he?”

“I’lI have a look” Bianca said as she turned around and opened the front door, and looked outside. “No” Bianca shook her head. “He’s gone”

Charlie smiled weakly before she let out a sigh. “You will help keep me away from him, won’t you?”

“If it’s what you want, of course” Bianca smiled.

“It is” Charlie nodded “I want things to work out with Ryan”

“Good” Bianca smiled “Now how about some coffee because I’m parched” Charlie laughed lightly as she walked through to the kitchen with Bianca following her. “It’ll be okay, you know Charlie, it’ll all work itself out” Bianca said as she put her hand on Charlie’s back.

“Yeah well I hope so” Charlie said before Bianca pulled her into a hug.

Thank you so much pembie, Sarah, Dingo x, Shezza, soph1303, JosieTash, cb2180, RR1, Zoe, once_upon_a_mind, marie_the_bee, ldscott and Aden_Belle for the comments. Hope this one is okay, I don’t like it at all. :(

Ruby, Xavier, April and Dex were at the diner getting something to eat, when Casey, Heath and the others walked in. Ruby dropped her fork as her mouth opened in shock. “Oh my....” Ruby managed before Xavier and Dex turned around and became equally as shocked to see that Heath was back.

“Wow, didn’t expect to see him so soon” Xavier said.

“Maybe you should stop starting, you don’t want them to come over” April said.

“So, if Heath is out, I’m guessing Brax is too” Dex said as he looked back around to the girls.

Ruby shrugged her shoulders “I don’t know....I guess it’s likely” Ruby said, not able to take her eyes of Heath. Who was already causing trouble with Colleen. And it was just at that moment that Brax walked into the diner and over to the boys. He shook hands with one, before going to greet another. “I have to go” Ruby said as she jumped up from her seat and ran from the diner, not stopping till she got home. “Brax” Ruby said as she burst through the door. “He’s....I just saw him” Ruby point out back to the door.

“We know” Bianca said as she and Charlie looked up at Ruby from the couch. “He’s already been around”

“What did he say? What did he want” Ruby asked as she sat down on the chair.

“I dunno” Charlie shook her head “I wouldn’t let him in”

“Seems pretty obvious he wants to start things up again” Bianca said.

“But what about Ryan?” Ruby asked.

“I’m going to keep seeing him” Charlie said “Brax and I are in the past and that’s where we are staying”

“Is that really what you want?” Ruby asked, sensing that Charlie was only saying what needed to be said.

“It’s what has to be” Charlie said “Brax and I are from two different worlds. It’ll never work out”

“You’re not only settling for Ryan, are you? Because you can’t be with the one you really want?”

“Of course not” Charlie answered “I really like Ryan”

“Okay, I just want you to be happy, so if Brax was the one you wanted, I mean if he could prove that he’d changed, I would be okay with it” Ruby said.

Charlie smiled lightly at her daughter. “Well thanks, but, I think I Brax and I are staying in the past and me and Ryan....I want to be with him” Ruby and Bianca shared a glanced, just as Jacob could be heard stirring. Charlie excused herself and went through to his bedroom.

“So, do you think she’s telling the truth?” Bianca asked and Ruby shook her head.

“Well....she did sound pretty convincing, but I don’t know”

“Me either” Bianca sighed “It’s pretty obvious she’s still hung up on him, no matter how much she tries, she just can’t seem to get him out of her head”

“Well I guess she is trying” Ruby said “And she does seem to like Ryan, so maybe she will stop thinking about him eventually”

“Maybe, but she did ask me to keep her away from Brax. So she obviously thinking about it already”

“Well she says she wants to be with Ryan so all we can do is believe her” Ruby said.

“Yeah, I guess so” Bianca sighed as Charlie walked back into the room with Jacob in her arms.

“BeeBee” Jacob grinned excitedly as he held his hands out to go to Bianca.

“Hey Jake” Bianca smiled as she took him into her arms and sat him down on her knee.

“Hey, Jakey you not excited to see Ruby?” Ruby asked. Jacob looked to Ruby as he played with Bianca’s bracelet, trying to pull it off her wrist. “BeeBee” Jacob said again. Bianca laughed as she wrapped her arms tighter around the boy, before she kissed the top of his head. “Well then” Ruby said feeling offended. “That’s not nice at all Jacob” Jacob looked to Ruby as he giggled. “Anyways, I’m going to go do some revision for this assessment” Ruby said before she left the living room, making her way to her bedroom.

“So, do you want another coffee?” Charlie asked as she flicked the kettle on.

“Sure” Bianca smiled. “So, do you have any plans to meet Ryan again?” Bianca asked tentatively.

“Well he wants to meet on Monday but Rubes is at uni, you’ll be working, Leah’s working...so, I don’t have anyone to watch Jacob”

“Maybe you could take him to meet Ryan?” Bianca suggested.

“Don’t you think it’s a bit soon?” Charlie asked “It would only be our fourth date”

“Well probably, but if you want to see him”

“I’m sure we can schedule it for a time where I can get a sitter”

“What about Irene?” Bianca asked.

“Irene has enough to worry about right now. I’m not going to ask her to watch Jacob” Charlie sighed.

“April” Bianca said “Jacob likes her and she doesn’t have class on a Monday after 12, so if you meet after then, then she can watch him”

“Do you think she will? I mean she’s a teenager, I’m sure she’ll have better things to do than want to watch Jacob”

“I’ll ask her and let you know” Bianca smiled “What do you think Jake? You want April to look after you?” Jacob looked up to Bianca.

“Apil” Jacob copied as he grinned. Charlie smiled at her son as she poured the water into the coffee cups.

“I think he’s lost his R’s” Charlie laughed. “Uby, Zeba, Apil”

“It’s cute” Bianca said as she took her cup from Charlie as Jacob jumped to the floor and ran over to the toy box.

“Yeah it is” Charlie smiled as she looked adoringly down at her son who picked the ball up from the toy box and threw it across in Charlie’s direction before he chased after it.

“He’s got a pretty good throw for an 18 month old” Bianca said. “Might have yourself a little sports star there” Bianca smiled as she looked down at Jacob who had stood in front of Charlie and rested his head against her knees. Charlie smiled as she gently stroked her son’s head.

“You gonna be a big sports star baby?” Charlie asked.

“No” Jacob shook his head before he climbed up onto Charlie’s knee. “Cookie Mamma”

“Another one, you’ve already had a cookie today Jake”

“Well Bianca want’s a cookie” Bianca said as she stood up and walked over to the cupboard and took out the packet of cookies. “And if Bianca is eating one right in front of Jake, then I think he should get one too, it’s only fair” Bianca said as she saw back down on the couch and handed Jacob a cookie.

“That is okay, isn’t it?” Bianca asked.

“Of course” Charlie said before she too took a cookie from the packet. Jacob giggled as he looked up at his mother before he stood up on her knee. Charlie held him as he wobbled slightly. “What you doing?” Charlie asked as she smiled at her son. Jacob grinned as he wrapped his arms around Charlie’s neck as placed a kiss on her lips. “Aww a kiss for mamma” Charlie smiled “That’s ever so nice Jacob” Jacob giggled before he hugged his mother.

“Aww Jacob you not got any kisses for your favourite ever aunty who is also your god-mother?”

“No” Jacob shook his head. “Mamma” Jacob smiled as he continued to hug Charlie.

“Oh well then” Bianca said as she pouted and Jacob giggled.

“Hey, a least he is showing he’s a one woman man” Charlie laughed.

“I thought maybe he would sway for me you know, I’m good to him. I buy him toys and I got him a cookie....” Bianca shook her head as she looked to Jacob who was cuddling into Charlie.

“Aww Jakey, make Bianca smile again” Charlie said.

“BeeBee” Jacob smiled as he looked to her before handing her his half-eaten cookie. Charlie laughed lightly as Bianca looked less than impressed with the offering. “Cookie” Jacob said as he looked down to it.

“You eat the cookie” Bianca said.

“No, cookie” Jacob said as he once again tried to give it to Bianca. Bianca smiled as she took cookie from the boy.

“Thank you Jacob” Bianca smiled as she put the cookie down on the table. Jacob giggled as he continued to hug Charlie. “You a wee mamma’s boy, Jakey?” Bianca said.

“Mamma” Jacob smiled.

“Of course he is” Charlie sighed “He doesn’t have a father so he can’t exactly be a daddy’s boy can he?”

“Sorry” Bianca said “I didn’t mean anything by it”

“I know” Charlie said “I just wish he did have one. Or at least someone who he can think of like a father. I mean I know he is young enough for me to meet someone and he can call him dad and have a great relationship with him, but I’m just scared that I’ll never give him that. I mean look at my track record with relationships”

“Well you’ve started seeing Ryan now. You never know. Maybe one day he’ll be Jacob’s father”

“I know” Charlie sighed lightly.

“You thinking about Brax, aren’t you? He’s the one you wanted to be there for Jacob”

Charlie pursed her lips together as she looked down. “He was” Charlie answered truthfully.

“Charlie, you’ve been saying all afternoon that you don’t want to be with him. I -”

“I know” Charlie sighed “But it’s just....it’s hard. I love Brax. My feelings just don’t seem to be going anywhere”

“So you do want to give him another chance?” Bianca asked.

“Wanting something and being able to have something are two totally different things” Charlie said.

“So what about Ryan?” Bianca asked “Do you really like him or are you just using him to try and get over Brax?”

Charlie sighed lightly “I do like him” Charlie said.

“Well then keep giving him this chance” Bianca smiled.

“We need a break about talking about my love life” Charlie sighed “It’s getting me down”

“At least you’ve got a love life” Bianca retorted.

“Trust me, I’d rather be single than in this mess of a situation I’m in now” Charlie said and Bianca laughed lightly.

Okay, you’re right” Bianca said “For the rest of tonight no more boy talk”

“Sounds good, but maybe for the rest of the year” Charlie sighed and Bianca laughed lightly before she smiled at her friend. She could only hope that things eventually work out for Charlie.

Thank you helen2289, JosieTash, Sarah, RR1, Aden_Belle, Dingo x, soph1303, Sazzle, Zoe, pembie and LaylaK for commenting. :wub: I hope this is okay. :unsure: I'm feeling a bit lost with it again.

Chapter 75

Charlie and Ryan walked along the road and into diner, at Reefton Lakes. It had been a couple of days since Brax got out of jail and had come around to Charlie’s house. She knew that it wouldn’t be long before he tried something again, but she was trying as hard as she could to keep Brax out of her mind, and hoped that this date with Ryan would help in doing so. “Oh Mr Sullivan, how are you doing? I’ve not seen you in here in a while, oh and who’s this?” The small lady asked as she scurried over to the table.

“Hello, Annie, this is Charlie” Ryan smiled as he pointed to Charlie.

“Well, hello. It’s very nice to meet you” Annie smiled. “So Mr Sullivan is Charlie a friend or is she more of a special lady friend?” Charlie pursed her lips together, both to stop herself from laughing and to hear what Ryan’s response was going to be. She looked at the little dark haired lady standing staring at Ryan, waiting for a response and couldn’t help but think of Colleen. “Well, Annie, I could tell you, but I think Charlie and I would like two lattes”

“Oh very well” Annie said before she scurried off back to the kitchen.

“Sorry about Annie, she’s harmless really”

“It’s fine. She reminds me a lot of someone back in the bay”

“Oh is that so?” Ryan asked.

“Yes” Charlie said “She also works in our diner”

“Must be a theme” Ryan laughed “It’s not a diner without a little old busybody”

“No” Charlie shook her head. “I guess not” Annie then came over with the two lattes.

“Here you are Mr Sullivan” Annie said.

“Thank you Annie” Ryan smiled “Very quick service today”

“Well yes” Annie said “It’s so nice to see you out on a date. And I must say with a very nice looking lady. You wait till Betty Smith here’s about this. She’ll be over the moon for you, I tell you”

“I don’t think that’s necessary” Ryan said, but Annie had already scurried off. “I’m sorry” Ryan apologised.

“It’s okay” Charlie said not really feeling like Ryan needed to apologise at all.

“So, how’s your morning been?” Ryan asked before he took a drink of his coffee.

“Not bad” Charlie said “Jacob was a little naughty this morning. He bit me”

“Ouch....you should bite him back” Ryan said.

“No” Charlie raised her voice “I’m not going to bite my son”

“Well it might teach him its wrong” Ryan answered.

“So, I’ll teach my son that biting is wrong, by biting him?” Charlie questioned “Not sure that makes much sense”

“Well, it’ll hurt him, so maybe he won’t do it again”

“Thank you for your suggestion but I am not going to bite my son” Charlie said “I’m sure I can find another solution to make him not do that again” Charlie said, just as her mobile phone beeped, indicating that she had a message. She pulled it out of her pocket and sighed lightly as she saw the number on the screen. The number that she has deleted 18 months ago, but she knew it by heart anyways. She’d called and texted him too many times for her not to. Hey, hoping this is still your number. Please give me some time, I just want to talk. Meet me at the beach at 4pm. You know which part I’ll be at. Brax.

“Everything alright?” Ryan asked as he saw the look on Charlie’s face.

Charlie looked back up to Ryan as she exhaled. “Yeah, it was just Ruby. She’s going out with a few friends after uni, so she’s just saying she won’t be home from dinner tonight”

“Oh okay” Ryan said “So does that mean we could maybe extend this date till dinner?”

“No” Charlie shook her head “My sitter can only do till 4, so I need to get back for then”

“Oh well, no worries” Ryan said “Spent the night with your little man”

“Sorry, I would suggest that we could eat together, but I don’t want to start introducing people to Jacob, when we’ve only -”

“Oh I know” Ryan said “I know what it’s like. Back when Emma was around 6, I dated a woman for almost a year and never did introduce them. It just never felt right, and rightly so, we broke up, so if Emma did know her, she’d probably get confused as to why we didn’t see her anymore. I think it’s important that you know for sure it’s going to be long term, you know, marriage, that stuff” Charlie smiled lightly at Ryan.

“Yeah, I agree” Charlie nodded.

“So, we’ll leave it a while longer before I meet the little guy” Ryan smiled, just as Annie walked back over and placed a piece of chocolate cake down on the table, before placing down two forks.

“Ehm, we didn’t order this Annie” Ryan said.

“I know, it’s on the house” Annie smiled “Enjoy your date” Annie said before she walked off. Charlie and Ryan laughed lightly as they both picked up a fork and dug into the cake.

Ruby and Xavier walked into the restaurant, and were led up to a table out on the deck, overlooking the ocean. “Oh my gosh” Ruby gasped “Xavier what are we doing eating here? It cost $45 for the cheapest appetiser”

“I want to bring you out for a special lunch” Xavier smiled.

“Xav, I would have been fine with lunch at the diner” Ruby said.

“Well I think you’re worth this”

“But it’s going to cost you heaps” Ruby sighed. “You know you don’t need to take me to fancy restaurants”

“I know, but, I want too” Xavier smiled “Just don’t get to used to it”

“Okay” Ruby laughed. “So anyways how was your day?”

“Yeah good” Xavier smiled “I got out of bed around 12 and went for a surf then I got ready and came and met you”

“That’s so lazy” Ruby sighed “I was at uni for 3 hours by then”

“Well you get to be the brains and I get to be the hot surfer dude”

“Okay, well me being the brains, I’ll agree with, but you, hot surfer dude?” Ruby shook her head and Xavier looked offended. “You know I love you” Ruby laughed.

“Aren’t you supposed to say that I am actually a hot surfer dude?” Xavier questioned.

“Eh...” Ruby said before breaking out into a grin. “You are hot” Xavier smiled lightly before he took a deep breath and he moved his hand over his pocket.

“Hello” The waitress smiled at them. “Complimentary class of champagne” She smiled as she placed them down.

“Wow” Ruby said “Free champagne. Maybe I would like to get used to this” Ruby smiled before she took a drink.

“Yeah” Xavier smiled nervously as he once again brought his hand down to his pocket, reaching inside for the little box.

“Why do you just all of a sudden look so nervous?” Ruby asked. Xavier took a deep breath before he stood up and walked to Ruby’s side of the table and bent down before her.

“I’ve been thinking” Xavier smiled “And you know how the other week you were on about our future and well it got me thinking, and Rubes, I love you so much. I couldn’t imagine being with anyone else, and I think that.....no I know, I want to spend the rest of my life with you, I want you to have my babies and then we can grow old together” Xavier smiled as he got down on one knee. Ruby gasped before she put her hand over her mouth as Xavier took hold of her left. “Ruby Buckton, will you marry me?”

“Yes, yes, oh my God yes” Ruby squealed as Xavier put the ring on her finger, before pulling her close for a kiss.

Charlie walked up to the house that Bianca and April shared and knocked on the door. “Charlie, hey, come in” Dex smiled.

“Mamma” Jacob smiled as he ran over to her and into her arms.

“Dex” Charlie said sounding surprised to see him.

“Hey, Charlie, sorry Dex came around, I hope you don’t mind”

“Eh, no” Charlie shook her head “Just as long as Jacob wasn't ignored”

“Oh no” Dex shook his head “He’s a demon”

“Excuse me?” Charlie said as she looked at Dex.

“He bit me and April” Dex said.

“Oh Jacob that’s very bad” Charlie said sternly as she looked down to Jacob.

“No bad” Jacob shook his head.

“I’m so sorry” Charlie sighed “He bit me this morning as well”

“Its fine” April said “He’s just a little kid”

“No, it’s not April” Charlie shook her head “It’s naughty. He can’t start biting”

“Well hopefully it stops after today” April said.

“Yeah, and actually” Charlie said as she looked at her watch and noticed it was 3.55pm “Could you just watch him for a little longer, I won’t be long I promise, there’s just something I need to do”

“Sure” April smiled “It’s fun playing with kiddie toys again” Charlie laughed lightly as she put Jacob back down on the floor.

“Mamma no” Jacob said as he held his hands up wanting her to pick him up again.

“Mamma will be right back” Charlie said before she ran from the house, wondering if she was making the right decision.

Thank you so much soph1303, JosieTash, cb2180, Sarah, once_upon_a_mind, RR1, Cally, totally, Zoe, Dingo x and pembie for the comments :wub: Hope this one is okay.

Chapter 76

Charlie made the drive back to Reefton Lakes and walked up to the front door of Ryan’s house. She took a deep breath before she rang the doorbell. “Charlie” Ryan said sounding surprised. “What are you doing here? I thought the sitter could only do till 4?”

“Eh, yeah, I ehm, I made that up” Charlie said before she bowed her head down. “Can I come in?”

“Sure” Ryan said feeling confused and as Charlie walked into the house and over to the couch, taking a seat. “Could I get you a drink or anything?”

“No, I’m fine, just come and sit” Charlie said as she pointed next to her on the couch. Ryan exhaled lightly as he walked over to the couch and sat down next to her.

“Why do I get the feeling you’re about to end this?” Ryan asked “You’re not, are you?”

Charlie shook her head as she looked down. “No, but I don’t know if you’ll want to be with me after I tell you this” Charlie said as she looked back up at Ryan.

“Okay” Ryan said trying to stay positive “What is it?”

“Remember I told you about Brax” Charlie said and Ryan nodded.

“You’re ex, who’s in jail?”

“Yup, that’s the one” Charlie nodded “Well, you see he’s not in jail anymore”

“Wow, okay” Ryan said “So, I take it he is back in the bay?”

“Yes” Charlie nodded “And he came around to the house the other day, but I wouldn’t talk to him. So he sat outside. I called my friend Bianca and she came round and I think she got him to go away. But he does want to be with me”

“And do you want to be with him?” Ryan asked.

Charlie pursed her lips together as she exhaled lightly. “I eh...I really like you. I want to keep this going”

“Doesn’t really answer my question though, does it?” Ryan asked. “How do you feel about him?”

“I don’t know” Charlie sighed “It’s hard. You know I finally tried to move on from him and things were going really good with us, and now he’s back and I see him again and....” Charlie trailed off as she looked away.

“Feelings came rushing back?” Ryan asked and Charlie nodded shyly. “Well okay, so he was your boyfriend and then he got arrested and sent off to jail. You know, so maybe these feelings you are getting, it’s just because you were never able to get proper closure from the relationship. You said you broke up with him but how quickly from the break-up did he get sent to jail?”

“Just a few days” Charlie sighed as she looked back to Ryan again.

“Well maybe you just need to get some proper closure” Ryan suggested.

“Ryan” Charlie exhaled lightly “I’ve not stopped loving him” Charlie said apprehensively. “Even though I hate what he did, and that it was practically his fault that Jacob is never going to have his father. I love him”

“Wow” Ryan exhaled as he rubbed the side of his head. “Not the best thing to hear when you’re trying to impress a lady. I really really like you Charlie, and I think we could have something really great, but, you’re in love with someone else”

“I was still in love with Angelo when I started seeing Brax” Charlie argued “But that didn’t stop me falling for Brax, and it wasn’t long before I knew I wasn’t in love with Angelo anymore. I know that I’ll always love Angelo, but just in a friendly, father of my child kind of way. And as for Brax -”

“You’re in love with him” Ryan said.

“Yeah, but it doesn’t mean that we can’t be together. I really like you to, that’s why I feel I should be honest with you about all of this”

“Charlie, you just told me that you’re in love with you ex” Ryan sighed “I’m sorry, but I don’t think that we’ll work. We can’t be together if you’re in love with someone else. There’s no way a relationship can be started based on this”

“So, are you ending this?” Charlie asked sadly.

“I don’t know” Ryan shook his head “I don’t want too, but I think....” Ryan trailed off before he took a deep breath, then, changed the conversation slightly. “That text you got this afternoon, wasn’t from Ruby was it?”

“No” Charlie said almost in a whisper. “It was Brax. He wanted me to meet him so we could talk”

“Right” Ryan nodded “And are you going too?”

Charlie shook her head lightly “He wanted to meet me at 4 and well I’m here now, so”

“Why didn’t you go?” Ryan asked.

“I don’t want to talk to him. I know I said I still love him, but I hate who he is and I won’t be getting back together with him”

“You can guarantee that?” Ryan asked.

“Just because you love someone it doesn’t mean that you’ll be together” Charlie said softly. “Besides, I want to see where we can go. There is still a we, isn’t there?”

“Honestly, I don’t know Charlie” Ryan said and Charlie nodded lightly as she bit her lip. “Did you think about going to meet him?”

“For like a second” Charlie said “But then I knew I didn’t want to hear it”

“So that’s why you said about the sitter. You were thinking of going to see him?”

“For like a second” Charlie said “Ryan, please, I -”

“Charlie” Ryan interrupted as he held his hand up “I don’t want to end this before it’s had a chance to really start” Ryan said and Charlie nodded lightly. “But...I don’t know if it would be wise to continue this”

“Right” Charlie nodded “I guess I do understand” Charlie said as she stood up and made her way back to the door, with Ryan following.

“Just give me a day or two” Ryan said. Charlie nodded lightly not saying anything as she walked out of the house. Ryan stood as she watched Charlie get into her car and drive away. He really liked her, and wanted to see where they could go, but he wasn’t sure if it was wise being with her, when he knew she loved another man. Sighing lightly he closed the door, and hoped that he would be able to come to a decision soon.

Ruby and Xavier were walking along the beach hand in hand, blissfully happy. “So fiancé, if we are going to be getting married, don’t you think we should be living together?” Ruby asked.

“Well maybe, but I think we should let our parents get over the shock of the engagement first” Xavier replied. “Maybe in a couple of weeks we can see about you moving in with me”

“Weeks?” Ruby questioned “My Mum will probably say months, years even before she is going to let me move in with you”

“She’s protective, but if she didn’t care at all about what you did you’d be complaining too”

“Yeah yeah” Ruby said “But seriously, we are old enough to do everything you know, get jobs, drive, get married, drink.....we’ve been in a relationship for 18 months, plus the times before that too, so we have been together for a while”

“I know” Xavier smiled “But let’s just take it one step at a time yeah, the engagement is probably going to be a big enough shock to her”

“Okay” Ruby said “My fiancé” Ruby grinned and Xavier laughed before he looked up the beach and saw Brax sitting down, looking upset.

“Hey, Rubes” Xavier said as he pointed to Brax.

“Oh” Ruby said as she looked up to see Brax sitting down on the sand, wearing the usual checked shirt, but it looked as if he had a smart pair of jeans on. He was playing with a single red rose in hand.

“What do you think that’s about?” Xavier asked.

“Probably something to do with Mum” Ruby sighed.

“Isn’t you Mum seeing Rory or something?” Xavier asked.

“Ryan” Ruby corrected. “And yes she is”

“So he’s probably asked to meet but he’s been stood up” Xavier guessed.

“Maybe” Ruby said “But it doesn’t really interest me. Mum seems happy with Ryan, so I’m not going to get in the middle”

“So you would rather she was with Brax?” Xavier questioned.

“They obviously still love each other, but Mum said she can’t forgive him and doesn’t want to get back together with him. She wants to be with Ryan, so I need to respect that”

“Wow, who are you and what did you do with my fiancée?” Xavier laughed as they made their way off the beach and towards Ruby’s house. “The Ruby I know and love would be up to match making schemes”

“Yeah” Ruby laughed “Well I’ve grown up. I’m not going to meddle. Even if I do think or want Mum to be with Brax, it’s her choice not mine”

“Fair enough” Xavier said. “Now, are you ready to go and tell your Mum we’re getting married?”

“Yes” Ruby screamed excitedly as they continued to walk along the road, in the direction of her house.

Thank you all so much for the lovely comments. :wub:

Chapter 77

Charlie was now back home sitting on the couch with Jacob playing with some blocks by her feet. “Mamma play” Jacob said put his little hand onto Charlie’s leg.

“No, Mamma doesn’t want to play with Jacob. Jacob was a naughty boy” Charlie said.

“Notty” Jacob said as he stood up and climbed up on the couch and onto Charlie’s knee. “No Jacob” Jacob shook his head.

“Mmm well Mamma thinks you have been” Charlie said as she wrapped her arms around her son and hugged him lightly. “But she can’t stay mad at you for too long because you are just too cute. But she would appreciate it if you stopped biting people” Charlie spoke softly as she hugged her son. Jacob looked to Charlie, confused.

“Cookie” Jacob asked “Cookie cookie pwease”

“I don’t think I should be rewarding you with cookies Mr” Charlie said as she stood up from the couch, holding her son in her arms. “And it’s almost time for your dinner” Charlie sighed lightly as Jacob looked up to her, his blue eyes widening as he listened to her. “Only because you know I can’t say no to that cute little face” Charlie said as she lightly rubbed his cheek, before she walked over to the cupboard and took out the cookies.

“Ta ta ta” Jacob yelled excitedly as he reached his hands out, trying to take the whole box from Charlie.

“Settle down little fella” Charlie laughed as she took a cookie out of the box and handed it to her son before lying the packet down on the worktop. Jacob grinned excitedly as he brought the cookie up to his mouth.

“Hey” Ruby smiled as she burst into the house.

“Hey, Rubes, Xavier” Charlie said as she turned around to face them.

“Xava” Jacob grinned as he wiggled in Charlie’s arms and she put him down to the floor. He ran across the room and took Xavier’s hand in his and stood starting up at him. Xavier smiled at the little boy before he stuck his tongue out at him. Jacob giggled before he started to walk forward, back to his blocks, with Xavier following.

“So, we’ve got some news Mum. It’s brilliant news too” Ruby beamed.

“Oh” Charlie said “Sounding intrigued. And are you going to make me ask?”

“Well...” Ruby said as she purposely waved her left hand in front of Charlie.

“Oh my” Charlie said, slightly shocked “You’re engaged”

“Isn’t it brilliant” Ruby squealed as she clapped her hand together.

“Yeah” Charlie smiled “I’m really happy for you two, congratulations” Charlie held her arms out and Ruby walked into the hug.

Charlie smiled as she pulled back from the hug. “Let me see the ring” Charlie said excitedly as she reached for Ruby’s hand. “Whoa” Charlie said as she looked down at the white gold ring, set with two diamonds. “Someone’s paying you way too much” Charlie laughed as she looked at Xavier, who was helping Jacob build a tower.

Xavier laughed lightly as he stood up and walked over to Charlie. “It took a lot of saving”

“Well come here and give you mother-in-law to be a hug” Charlie smiled as Xavier hugged her.

“Wow, so you really are happy?” Ruby asked.

“Well I do think you’re young, but you’re obviously in love with each other and just because you’re engaged it doesn’t mean that you have to get married right away” Charlie said as she pulled away from the hug and looked back to Ruby. “If you want my honest opinion I think you should wait until you’re done with uni at least”

“That’s fine, because I agree” Ruby said “I don’t need the distraction of a wedding right now. Uni’s enough stress” Charlie smiled lightly as she looked at the young couple.

“Well, here” Charlie said as she picked up her bag from the floor before taking out her purse and pulling out some money. “Xavier, go to Angelo’s and buy a bottle of champagne. We’ve got some celebrating to do” Xavier nodded lightly before he walked out of the house. Charlie looked to Ruby, who was looking down at her ring a huge grin plastered across her face and saw how happy she was.

“Aww Rubes, I don’t want you to grow up” Charlie said as she felt tears in her eyes.

“I’ll still be your little girl” Ruby said “I’ll just be your engaged little girl”

“I know” Charlie said as she wiped her hand over eye. “Now come here and give me another hug” Ruby smiled lightly before she stood in the embrace with her mother.

Charlie, Ruby and Xavier were sitting at the table, drinking the champagne and talking about the engagement. “So, he took me to Café Rouge” Ruby beamed “Café Rouge Mum, can you believe it”

“Ooh lucky you” Charlie smiled “I’ve always wanted to go there”

“It was so good” Ruby grinned “We definitely need to go back there”

“Yeah, on who’s pay cheque” Xavier asked.

“Yours of course” Ruby said before she stuck her tongue out at Xavier. Jacob giggled from Charlie’s knee before he stuck is tongue out too. “Aww Mum it was just so lovely. I didn’t expect it at all. Poor guy just all of a sudden got really nervous and then when he got down on one knee and wow” Ruby grinned. Charlie laughed lightly at her daughter.

“Sounds lovely Rubes” Charlie smiled.

“Yeah, and I think, well now we are engaged that maybe we could....eh...well, live together” Ruby said as she looked at Charlie apprehensively.

“Rubes” Xavier sighed “I thought we agreed that we’d let her get used to the engagement first”

“Yeah, but that’s when we thought she might freak. She’s totally cool with it” Ruby said before she looked back to her mother. “What do you think?”

“Well that all depends” Charlie asked “Are you wanting to move into a place of your own? Or with Gina and John, or here with me?”

“You’d let Xavier move in?” Ruby asked sounding surprised.

Charlie took a deep breath as she nodded lightly. “Well I’d be happier with that than letting you move into a home of your own. You’re still young and Ruby, you’re in uni, so I think it would be a huge struggle right now to take that step into getting your own place”

“So are you saying he can move in?” Ruby asked and Charlie nodded.

“If Xavier wants too, the offer is there” Charlie said and Ruby squealed, startling Jacob into crying. “Hey, sweetie” Charlie said as she looked down to her son. “It’s alright”

“Aww Jakey, sorry, Ruby didn’t mean to scare you” Ruby said, just as the doorbell rang. Charlie sighed lightly as she stood up and passed Jacob to Ruby so she could settle him, and walked over to the door.

“Brax” Charlie said “What do you want?”

“You know you could have told me that you weren’t going to come today”

“Thought that was obvious by the way I reacted to you being back the other day” Charlie answered before she went to close the door but Brax stopped her.

“Hey, everything alright Charlie?” Xavier asked as he walked over to the door.

“Fine, thank you Xavier. Brax was just leaving”

“Charlie please” Brax pleaded “Just give me 5 minutes”

“Well even if I wanted to and I’m not saying that I do, I can’t right now. I’m busy”

“What with your daughter and her boyfriend” Brax laughed.

“Fiancé, actually” Ruby said as she walked over to the door. “And I’m pretty sure my Mum wants you to leave”

“Nice to see you Rubes” Brax smiled “And congrats”

“Well we actually do need to go and tell Mum and John about this” Xavier said “So if you want privacy” Xavier said as he pointed to the door.

“Xav” Ruby shook her head “She doesn’t want to talk to him”

“Well either way Rubes, we do still need to go and tell Mum and John about our engagement”

“Do you mind?” Ruby asked as she looked up to her mother. “We can wait till he gets the message and leaves, if you want”

“No it’s fine” Charlie smiled “Go on” Xavier and Ruby then left the house and Jacob came running across to Charlie and hid behind her leg.

“Wow” Brax said “He’s getting big” Brax smiled as he bent down closer to Jacob’s height. “Hey, little guy” Brax smiled and Jacob looked away from him, hiding his head against Charlie’s leg. “Shy little thing is he?” Brax asked as he looked up to Charlie.

“No, not really” Charlie said as she felt her hand go protectively over Jacob’s head. Brax stood back up at looked into Charlie’s eyes. “You’re not going to leave until I talk to you, are you?”

“No” Brax shook head lightly.

“You’ve got 5 minutes”

Thanks pembie, Sarah, soph1303, JosieTash, ilovechax, cb2180, Dingo x, RR1, Sabrina, once_upon_a_mind, zoe and Shezza for the lovely comments. I really appreciate that you take the time to write something. :) I hope this is okay. :)

Chapter 78

Brax walked into the house and Charlie closed the door behind him, as Jacob clung desperately onto her leg. “Jacob” Charlie said as she tried to pull him back but he was clinging on for dear life.

“Mamma” Jacob said as he started to cry.

“Jacob stop being silly” Charlie said as she lifted him into her arms, as Jacob dropped the block he was holding his hand. Charlie went to bend down to pick it up, but Brax stepped forward and picked it up before going to hand it to Jacob.

“No” Jacob said as he leaned into Charlie, the tears streaming down his face.

“Have I scared him?” Brax asked.

“Seems so” Charlie said as she glanced quickly at Brax before looking back at her son and wiping the tears from his face. “Hey, Jacob, you stop this now” Charlie said “It’s okay” Jacob’s tears began to slow as he continued to hold tightly onto Charlie. Charlie walked over to where Jacob’s blocks were on the floor and sat down, placing him on her knee. She began to play with the blocks, and slowly Jacob moved his hand forward and took a block in his hand, before he was happily playing with them. Charlie placed him down on the floor and stood up and walked over to Brax.

“Sorry if I upset him” Brax said “I didn’t realise I did anything”

“You didn’t” Charlie said “He’s just never met you before. Or at least, that he remembers. Sometimes it’ll take him a while to go to some people”

“Right” Brax nodded lightly as he played with the block that was still in his hand.

“So, what do you want to talk about” Charlie said.

“Well isn’t that obvious?” Brax asked. “I want to be with you, Charlie. I love ya and we were amazing together”

“Yeah, we were” Charlie said “But we also were just one big lie. You’re not the person I believed you were”

“I am” Brax sighed “Charlie, everything I did, everything I said, it really was me. Yes, I know, I kept the drug dealing side of things from you, but I didn’t want to lose you, and I was trying to get out, I promise you I was. And if it wasn’t for Heath I would have been. He was the one who got us into the mess with Hammer and he was -”

“No” Charlie shook her head “Stop blaming other people for your actions. Heath forced you to do nothing”

“He’s my brother” Brax said “And he got himself into a spot of bother so yeah, I had to help him out”

“He’s a big boy” Charlie said “Big enough to fight his own battles”

“What so your saying if I didn’t help Heath out we would have still been together?”

“Well I would have probably never found out, so yeah, I guess so” Charlie said before she looked away from Brax, checking that Jacob was still happily playing with his blocks. “But” Charlie said before she looked back to Brax. “There’s no point talking about the what if’s. Because I did find out and I don’t want to be with a lying drug dealer like you”

“But that’s not who I am anymore” Brax sighed “Babe, I’ve changed, please believe me”

“I’m not your babe” Charlie said, somewhat angrily. “Brax, you ruined what we had, and we’re never going to get that back. And you know what, now you might have just ruined what I have with Ryan as well”

“Ryan?” Brax questioned before he remembered that Bianca had said she was dating someone else. “So Bianca was telling the truth”

“Yes” Charlie said “Only I decided to tell him about you being back and how I felt and now he doesn’t know if we should stay together”

“How you felt?” Brax questioned “How do you feel?”

“Like you don’t already know” Charlie spat and Brax smiled lightly.

“You still love me” Brax smiled.

“Well done” Charlie said “But it doesn’t mean anything. We can’t be together. I moved on and I really like Ryan and you’ve just came back and ruined everything. I was finally starting to get you out of my head but now it’s never going to be possible because you’re always going to be around”

“Well I’m sorry I got out of jail” Brax said.

“You shouldn’t even be out anyways” Charlie sighed “Your parole wasn’t for another couple of weeks”

“You want me to ask to go back in then” Brax laughed.

“Why are you making a joke out of this?” Charlie questioned.

“It’s the only thing I can do, Charlie” Brax said “Jail was horrible and yeah I’m glad that I could get out a few weeks earlier. I don’t know how it happened but it did and I’m so glad”

“Well I wish it didn’t” Charlie bowed her head down. “Please don’t ruin this for me Brax”

“So you really want to be with Ryan?” Brax asked.

“Beats a drug dealer” Charlie said.

“But that’s not me anymore Charlie” Brax sighed “It’s all in my past. Now, me and you, we can build a new future together, become a family again”

“No we can’t” Charlie sighed “Because you’ll never change. We are over Brax, face it”

“Charlie, I will, I promise you, I’d do anything for you to give me a chance”

“I’m not really single Brax” Charlie said.

“So how serious is it with you and Ryan then?” Brax asked “Bianca said that I shouldn’t take a second father away from Jacob, so I’m guessing its getting pretty serious”

“I don’t know what Bianca told you, but Ryan and I have only been on 4 dates” Charlie said. “He hasn’t even met Jacob yet”

“Oh. The way Bianca was talking I thought it was much more serious” Brax said “Have you even had sex yet?”

“That’s quite frankly is none of your business” Charlie retorted.

“I’ll take that as a no” Brax said.

“Why?”

“Well you got all defensive sounding” Brax said “If you had you probably wouldn’t have. So it’s not too serious yet. And you don’t like him as much as you liked me as we were having sex by our fourth date. Technically, we had sex before we were even dating” Brax grinned.

“Yeah and look at what you turned out to be” Charlie yelled “I just want to make sure that I know the guy before we get to serious too fast, because the last thing I need is more hurt and I need to be careful for Jacob’s sake as well”

“Well I guess that’s understandable” Brax said “But it also means that you’re not too serious about each other yet, so I think I still have a chance”

“Brax, I don’t know how many times you want me to say it but we are never going to be together”

“You can keep telling yourself that Charlie, but when I look into your eyes...” Brax trailed off as he shook his head “Just give in to what you want” Brax said as he took a few steps forward and took her hand into his. He smiled at Charlie before he leaned forward to kiss her, but Charlie pulled away, although she’d have to admit it took a lot of strength to resist the kiss.

“I think you should leave” Charlie said as she pulled her hand away. “You’re time is up”

“Charlie” Brax sighed “Please”

“Just get out Brax” Charlie raised her voice as she walked to the door and opened it. Brax exhaled lightly as he walked forward and out of the door, before turning to face Charlie.

“I’m not giving up on us” Brax said “I’m going to win you back” Charlie bit her lip before she closed the door in Brax’s face. She sighed lightly as she leaned forward and rested her head against the door. She did love Brax and a part of her wanted to take him back, but there was also a part of her who wanted to be with Ryan. She sighed once more as she had no idea what she was supposed to do. It was then when she felt a little hand on her leg and she looked down to see Jacob smiling up at her.

“Hey baby” Charlie smiled as she lifted him to her arms and into a cuddle, as she fought back the tears that wanted to fall.

Thank you all so much :wub: Hope you like this next one.

Chapter 79

Charlie walked into the diner and over to the table, taking a seat as she waited patiently for him to show. She was nervous for what he was going to say to her. Although a part of her did hope that he would want to continue to see her, deep now, she knew that Ryan wanted to meet her to break things off. “Hey, Charlie” Brax smiled as he walked across to the table.

“Brax” Charlie sighed lightly as she looked at him.

“Are you expecting someone or can I join you?”

“I’m expecting someone” Charlie said “So if you don’t mind”

“Ryan” Brax said “You’re meeting him, right?”

“Yeah, so what if I am?” Charlie questioned.

“I’m only asking” Brax said “And I’ve got this to give you back” Brax said as he reached into his pocket and pulled out the little red block. Charlie laughed lightly as she took it in her hand, and it was then why Ryan walked into the diner, stopping at the door, as he witnessed the exchange between Charlie and Brax. “I left the house with it last night and thought Jacob might be missing it, so...”

Charlie laughed once more as she put it away in her bag. “Well, I think he would have got on fine without it considering how many little building blocks he has, but thanks” Charlie smiled lightly. “What, were you just walking about with it, hoping to bump into me?”

“Well honestly I was just going to throw it away, you know, as you say it’s only a little building block, but then I thought it would be a good excuse to see you again, so” Brax smiled as he trailed off.

“Well I’m sure Jacob will appreciate it, so thank you” Charlie said and Brax smiled softly once more.

“So, you’re not going mad at me for wanting to see you again” Brax said “Are you softening?”

Charlie exhaled lightly as she shook her head “Just being polite” Charlie said “You know we both live in this small town, so we’re bound to run into each other from time to time. We can be friendly, can’t we?”

“Friends” Brax said sadly. “I don’t know if I can just be friends with you Charlie” Brax said as Ryan finally walked over to the table, taking Charlie by surprise.

“Ryan” Charlie said.

“Hi” Ryan smiled as he sat down, before looking to Brax. “Hey, I’m Ryan” Ryan said as he held his hand out.

“Brax” Brax said as he shook the man’s hand. Ryan’s eyes widened as he recognised the name.

“You’re Brax. This is thee Brax?” Ryan said as he looked at Charlie. Charlie nodded lightly before she glanced at Brax wanting him to go away.

“So, I should go” Brax said “Nice meeting you Ryan” Brax then turned and walked away up to the counter to order himself a coffee.

“So, what were you doing talking to him?” Ryan asked.

“He ehm came around last night to talk” Charlie said, thinking she may as well tell him the truth. “He ended up taking one of Jacob’s blocks home and he was just giving me it back” Charlie said as she fished into her bag, looking for the block. “See” Charlie said and Ryan nodded lightly.

“Seemed to take him a while to give you that” Ryan said.

“What you’ve been watching us?” Charlie asked and Ryan nodded. “So you don’t trust that I am going to stay away from him?” Charlie asked as she felt herself unintentionally looking in Brax’s direction.

“I did. I was coming here today to tell you that I want to keep this going, give you this chance, but after seeing your interaction, the look you have in your eyes, Charlie....he has something of yours that I’m never going to get” Ryan said sadly.

“What do you mean?” Charlie asked as she looked back to Ryan.

“He has your heart” Ryan said “And there’s no point in trying to win you over, because, I’m never going too”

“So, you’re ending this?” Charlie asked sadly and Ryan nodded.

“I don’t think I have any other choice, Charlie” Ryan said as he noticed once again, Charlie’s eyes looking over to Brax. He sighed lightly as he leaned forward and took her hand into his. “You want to be with him” Ryan said “And, I don’t want to stand in the way of that. You’re smart, funny, gorgeous, and maybe if the circumstances were different, we’d be great together, but we’re not going work out. Not when you feel the way you do about Brax”

“But, we’re not going to get back together” Charlie said as she shook her head. “So, maybe we...”

“No, Charlie” Ryan said “I know how it goes. You’ll be mad for a while, but over time, your heart will win. It always does. You’ll give in to what you want, and Charlie, you deserve to be happy, so if Brax is going to be the person who can give you that, then I think you need to give him that chance”

“I’m sorry” Charlie said as she bowed her head down “I didn’t mean to lead you on when I felt like this about him, but I just....I thought I had to try to move on, because we shouldn’t be together, I’m a cop and he’s a criminal. He’s done jail time”

“I know” Ryan said “But I do believe that people can change. And he’s crazy about you Charlie. I think he’d do anything to ensure he gets to be with you” Charlie smiled lightly at Ryan as she felt a lone tear roll down her cheek.

“You’re a really sweet guy” Charlie said “You deserve someone too”

“Hey, there’s another speed dating event next month, maybe I’ll luck out again there” Ryan said and Charlie laughed lightly before Ryan stood up. “Well, I’m going to get home” Charlie nodded as she stood up and the pair stood staring at each other. “Well maybe see you around” Ryan smiled as he lightly hugged Charlie. “Goodbye” Ryan said before he walked out of the diner, just as Colleen walked over.

“Well I was just about to come and take your order” Colleen squawked.

“Sorry, Colleen” Charlie said as she wipe the tear from her face. “We decided to go our separate ways”

“Oh well that is a shame” Colleen said “Although I’m not surprised with a certain Braxton back in town”

Charlie sighed lightly at Colleen. “Sorry, I have to go” Charlie said before she ran from the diner.

“Charlie...Charlie....Charlie” Brax shouted as he ran after her. Charlie slowed down before she stopped completely and turned to face him.

“Brax, don’t, because right now -”

“Hey, hey, Charlie I just want to see if you are okay” Brax said.

“Why? So you can beg me to take you back again now that I’m free?”

“No, Charlie, I mean of course yeah, I want that more than anything, but the guy just broke up with you, I’m really not that much of a jerk. You’re upset and I just want you to know that I’m here for ya”

Charlie looked at Brax as she bit her lip. “I liked him” Charlie said almost in a whisper.

“I know” Brax said as he pulled Charlie into a hug. Charlie resisted for a moment, but she soon wrapped her arms around him and held him tightly, resting her head against his chest, breathing in his scent. Oh how she'd missed that. “I’m not talking about right now, but would you never ever consider us again? Do we have the slightly chance at being together again?” Brax asked.

Charlie pursed her lips together as she pulled back from the hug, considering the question. “Would you leave the boys?” Charlie asked, remembering Ryan saying he would do anything to get back with her.

“What?” Brax questioned.

“Would you leave the river boys?” Charlie asked once again.

“Charlie I’ve told you I’m not going to be a part of the deals anymore”

“That’s not what I meant” Charlie said “I meant would you be able to stop talking to them, stop hanging about with them completely?”

“Why?” Brax questioned “Charlie those boys are my family. Okay, you can’t ask me to cuts ties with them”

“Then no” Charlie said as she shook her head “We can’t be together again, because as long as you hang out with that crowd, you can’t go on the straight and narrow and we’ll never work out”

Brax exhaled lightly as he bowed his head down. “Anything else and I will do it, but the boys, that’s my family”

“There’s nothing else” Charlie said as she shook her head before she turned and walked away.

Thank you so much kaza, soph1303, cb2180, RR1, Dingo x, Zoe, Sarah and Shezza for the comments. :wub: I hope this is okay, don't think much of it. :unsure:

Chapter 80

Ruby and Xavier were moving Xavier’s things into Ruby’s bedroom, while Jacob was running around the room, looking in at everything new. “Oooh” Jacob said as he picked up a little blue teddy bear, that was missing one eye.

“Hey, Jacob that’s my bear” Xavier said as he looked down at the boy.

“No” Jacob shook his head as he clung tightly onto the bear.

“You still have a teddy bear?” Ruby laughed.

“I just never wanted to chuck him out” Xavier said “My Dad bought that on the day I was born, so I’ve had it all my life”

“Cute” Ruby giggled as she looked down to the bear that was in Jacob’s hand.

“Jakey, you going to give Xavier his back his bear?”

“Mr Blue” Xavier said and once again Ruby laughed.

“You called your blue bear, Mr Blue?”

“Well I was just a kid, what kinda name would you expect me to come up with?” Xavier asked and Ruby shrugged her shoulders.

“Jake, give Mr Blue back to Xavier” Ruby said and Jacob shook his head.

“Jakey bear” Jacob said as he held it close to him.

“No, it’s not Jacob’s” Ruby said as she pulled it from his grasp and Jacob screamed, just as Charlie walked into the house and through to the bedroom.

“Hey, what’s upset Jacob?” Charlie asked as he pulled on her hand in tears, wanting picked up. Charlie lifted her son into her arms and he buried his head against her shoulder.

“Bear” Jacob mumbled between his cries.

“He wants Xavier’s bear” Ruby said.

“And can’t you just let him play with it?” Charlie asked.

“He’s had it since the day he was born, it’s a special thing” Ruby said “I don’t think it’s intended for a toy anymore”

“Bear” Jacob cried once more as he reached his hands out.

“You can let him have it” Xavier said “I don’t want to upset the little guy”

“Thank you Xavier” Charlie said as she took the bear into her hands and gave it to Jacob. Jacob eyes immediately lit up as he hugged the teddy and his tears stopped.

“Good luck getting that back now” Ruby said.

“He’ll tire of it eventually” Charlie said as she put Jacob back down onto the ground and ran around the room, happily clinging onto the bear.

“Well I hope so, it’s important to Xav” Ruby said.

“Yeah, anyways, what’s all this?” Charlie asked as she pointed around the room.

“Xav is moving his stuff in. You said he could live with us”

“Yeah, I know I did. I said nothing about you two sharing a room though”

“What?” Ruby yelled.

“Guest room is across the hall” Charlie said.

“Are you being serious?” Ruby asked.

“Do I look like I am?” Charlie said “Rubes this rule still stands”

“Oh my God....well then we will move......” Ruby said as she trailed off as she saw the look on Charlie’s face, like she was about to burst into laugher. “Mum, that’s not funny” Ruby said as she stepped forward and lightly hit the side of Charlie’s arm.

“It was a bit” Charlie laughed “Of course Xavier can stay in your room” Charlie sighed “I mean, I don’t exactly love the idea, but you’re engaged and you’re growing up. I just need to start accepting you’re not a little girl anymore. You know, you’re an adult, with a fiancé”

Ruby smiled lightly as she hugged her mother. “You know I’m still going to need you. I’ll always need you no matter what. So don’t think that just because I am growing up, that I won’t need you”

“I know” Charlie smiled as she pulled back from the hug. “You want any help in here or are you okay?”

“We’re okay” Xavier answered as he looked up from putting his t-shirts into a drawer. “But thanks”

Charlie smiled lightly as she looked over to Jacob who was sitting in the corner of her room playing with the teddy bear. “Well can I make you a coffee or anything?”

“I’d loved a tea” Ruby smiled.

“Yeah a tea would be lovely, thanks” Xavier answered.

“Okay, two tea’s coming up” Charlie smiled as she went to walk out of the room. Jacob noticing this stood up and ran out after her.

“Mamma” Jacob shouted as he caught up with her and took her hand into his.

“Hey, you coming to help Mamma” Charlie smiled as they walked through to the kitchen, and Charlie flicked the kettle on, before she lifted Jacob up and sat him on the worktop. Jacob grinned as he held tightly onto the bear.

“Cookie” Jacob said as he pointed to the cupboard. Charlie smiled lightly as he opened the door and took out the packed of biscuits and then took out a plate and put some out from Xavier and Ruby, before handing one to Jacob. She put the packet away before getting two cups out and getting out the tea bags. “Ahh” Jacob screeched as he put his little hand on top of the jar of tea bags.

“Does Jacob want to get them out?” Charlie asked as she lifted off the lid. Jacob smiled before he stuck his hand into the jar and lifted out a bunch of tea bags.

“We only need one at a time sweat pea” Charlie laughed lightly at her son and she took the tea bags from his hand and put them back in the jar. Jacob looked to Charlie confused before he once again stuck his hand in the jar. This time only lifting out one. “Can you put it in here?” Charlie asked as he lifted up the cup and held it in front of Jacob. Jacob dropped the tea bag into the cup as he giggled.

“Clever boy” Charlie smiled as she put the cup down on the worktop and picked up the second cup. “Another one” Charlie said as she held the cup in front of Jacob. Jacob grinned before he once again reached into the jar and lifted out a tea bag before throwing it into the cup.

Jacob clapped his hands as Charlie put the jar of tea bags away before she poured the water into the cups, before getting the milk out of the fridge.

“Me” Jacob said as he put his hand on the milk carton, and helped Charlie pour the milk into the cups.

“Aww you’re a very clever boy helping Mamma” Charlie smiled as she put the milk back into the fridge, before lifting her son to the ground.

“Me” Jacob said again as he held his hands out wanting to carry the cup.

“No, it’s too hot for Jacob” Charlie said “Here, you finish your cookie” Charlie said as she handed Jacob the half-eaten cookie from the worktop. Jacob smiled as he continued to hold onto the teddy bear under his arm, before he ran back into Ruby’s room and Charlie walked after him with the tea’s and biscuits. “Where did Xavier go?” Charlie asked as she handed Ruby her cup of tea and placed the biscuits down on the bed.

“Oh he went to get the last of his things” Ruby answered as she sat down on the bed and took a biscuit into her hand. “So, you came back awfully early from your date, did it not go well?”

Charlie exhaled lightly as she pursed her lips together “No” Charlie shook her head “He ended things”

“Oh, Mum, I’m so sorry” Ruby said “Did he say why?”

Charlie sighed lightly as she took a drink of the tea that was meant for Xavier. “Yesterday, I told him about Brax being back, and that I.....well that I still loved him. He said he wasn’t sure what he should do and wanted time to think”

“So he asked to meet today to break it off” Ruby said and Charlie nodded lightly.

“He said he originally wasn’t going to. But he saw me and Brax talking and he could see how much I still love him and knew in the long run it would only end badly for us”

“Well from what you’d said about him, he seemed lovely, so I’m sorry” Ruby said as he lightly rubbed Charlie’s back in comfort.

“I guess it just wasn’t meant to be” Charlie sighed.

“Maybe not” Ruby said “So, you were talking to Brax?”

“He just gave me back Jacob’s block” Charlie said “He took it home with him last night and wanted Jacob to have it back”

“Seems like an excuse to talk with you” Ruby laughed.

“I know” Charlie agreed “But Rubes I don’t know what I should do. Obviously I love Brax but I don’t know if he’ll be able to change”

“Well you’re just going to have to be prepared to give him a chance” Ruby said.

“You know I asked him to leave the boys” Charlie said “I know that I might not be being fair to ask him to step away from them, they are like his family, but I don’t trust that he’ll be able to go straight and still hang out with them. They’ll drag him back into it”

“What did he say?” Ruby asked.

Charlie shook her head lightly “He said he wouldn’t” Charlie answered “But, I can’t trust that he’ll go straight when he is still with them”

“So does that mean there’s no chance for you two?” Ruby questioned.

“I don’t know” Charlie shook her head “I just don’t know. I love him and I want to be with him, but I can’t trust him anymore and I don’t want to be hurt again” Charlie said as she shook her head.

“I know you’ve had a lot of hurt in your life, but maybe, just maybe, this is your chance to finally be happy. Maybe he got out of jail to give you the happiness that you deserve” Ruby said and Charlie smiled lightly at her daughter, as she thought about what she said. Maybe Brax had come back to give Charlie the happy life that she wanted. What Charlie needed to decide now, was if she could trust him enough to give him that second chance.

Archived