Nothing Lasts Forever

Guest Danni02

Thank you Sarah, RR1, Cally, Pembie, Zoe, Aden_Belle and once_upon_a_mind for the comments :D Hope you like this next one.

Chapter 61

Charlie pulled the car up into the parking space. Charlie, Ruby, Morag and Jacob were going up the coast for a week after everything that had happened they wanted a little break. “Ruby could you please get off the phone” Charlie sighed “You’ve pretty much been on the phone to him since we left the bay” Ruby sighed lightly as she raised her eye brows at her Mother.

“Gotta go babe, talk to you soon” Ruby said before she hung up the phone. “Sorry for missing him” Ruby spat to Charlie.

“Ruby you saw him like 2 hours ago” Charlie sighed “And it’s only a week that you’ll be away for”

“And you know what they say, absence makes the heart grow fonder” Morag said and Ruby sighed lightly.

“Whatever let’s just get this holiday over with” Ruby said as she took her bag out from the boot of the car.

“You were looking forward to this a few days ago” Charlie said as she lifted Jacob’s car seat out of the car, while Morag took the pram out of the car boot, before getting the bags out.

“Well that was before Xavier and I sorted things out” Ruby said. “And then I’m going to be at uni and he going to be working, when will I get to see him”

“Oh I’m sure if its true love you’ll find the time” Morag said as they made their way up to the hotel entrance, and over to the check-in.

“You should just be lucky you’ve got your boyfriend” Charlie said quietly but was still heard by Ruby.

“Sorry” Ruby said, she knew Charlie was clearly still hung up on Brax and having a hard time trying to begin to get over him.

“Yeah, we’ll let’s just get checked in” Charlie said as they walked up to the front desk and got themselves checked in. They had two rooms, opposite each other, Ruby deciding she would go in with Morag. As much as she loved her baby brother, she was looking forward to getting a break from his crying at night.

“Right, well why don’t we unpack and then we can head out for some lunch, my treat” Morag said.

“Not going to say no to that” Ruby grinned before she opened her room door and went in to begin unpacking.

“Charlie, are you alright?” Morag asked and Charlie nodded lightly as she looked up at her step-mother.

“I’ll be okay” Charlie said “Now I’m going to go unpack and get this little guy fed, then we can go for lunch” Charlie said before she opened her room door and walked in. As soon as the door closed a tear rolled down her cheek. Lifting her phone out of her pocket she went into the photos and scrolled to one of Brax. She couldn’t bring herself to delete it. As she ran her finger across the screen she felt another tear rolling down her cheek. “I love you so much” Charlie sniffed back. “Why did you have you be a bad guy? You know we could have had it all. The perfect family, a great life. We had that” Charlie cried “I’d give anything to just have one more minute....” Charlie trailed off as Jacob began to cry in his car seat. She sniffed back her tears as she put her phone back into her pocket. “Hey, baby, you want fed hmm” Charlie said as she walked further into the room, and placed the car seat down on the table, before lifting her son into her arms. “Hey, baby let’s stop these silly tears” Charlie said softly as she stroked her baby’s forehead. She sat down on the bed and got herself comfy before she started to feed her son. “You know what baby from now on it’s just going to be you. You’re going be the only man in my life” Charlie said as she smiled down at her baby. There was a knock at the door before Morag walked into the room.

“Oh sorry” Morag said as she saw Charlie was feeding Jacob.

“It’s okay” Charlie said “What’s wrong?”

“Oh Ruby is on the phone to Xavier again” Morag sighed.

“Well at this rate she’ll run of credit by tonight, so maybe we should just let her call him now” Charlie said and Morag nodded.

“Charlie, do you want to talk about him?” Morag asked and Charlie pulled a face.

“What do you mean?” Charlie asked.

“Darryl” Morag said “You’ve obviously still upset about this”

“I’m fine” Charlie said as she shook her head.

“Charlie, you’re not” Morag replied.

“I don’t want to talk about him, because thinking about him.....” Charlie trailed off as she shook her head “It’s too hard to imagine myself not being with him and I’m not ready to let him go, so I can’t....” Charlie once again trailed off as she felt herself welling up with tears.

“But darling, you’ve been without him for the last 3 weeks and -”

“And it’s been hard” Charlie said “If I didn’t have Jacob or Ruby, I would be in much more of a mess right now. But I’m just not ready to talk about not having him in my life, because once I do, I really have lost him and I’m not ready to let go of his memory and I know I’m talking as if he died but I love him more than I’ve ever loved anyone and I can’t start to think about trying to make a life without him and -”

“Charlie” Morag interrupted “Maybe it would help if you were to visit Darryl. You guys could talk everything through, and maybe once he paid for what he’s done, if he can prove that he is on the straight and narrow, you guys can give it another go”

“I can’t” Charlie shook her head lightly “He’ll not change. People like him never do”

“You’ll be surprised what some guys do for the people they love” Morag said as she softly rubbed Charlie’s arm in comfort.

“No” Charlie shook her head as she moved Jacob and lifted him up over her shoulder to wind him, gently patting his back. “I can’t. I’m just going to concentrate on this little guy here and Rubes is staring uni, so she’ll need help there and I’ll get over him, eventually, I will” Charlie said, rather unconvincingly.

“Hmm okay, if you’re sure” Morag said. She knew that Charlie was going to have a hard time getting over Brax, and thought it would probably do Charlie good if she did go and talk to him, but she also knew that Charlie was hurting, and she wasn’t ready for this conversation right now. “Well now you’ve got this one fed, why don’t we go down and find a place to get something?” Morag said and Charlie nodded lightly and she stood up from the bed.

“If Ruby’s off the phone” Charlie said and Morag laughed lightly as the two of them walked out of the room.

Ruby and Charlie were lying by the pool, with Morag having gone for a walk, taking Jacob with her. “So, you getting nervous for uni?” Charlie asked as she looked around to Ruby. “Ruby.....Ruby” Charlie said as she got no answer.

“What?” Ruby asked as she looked up from her phone.

“What are you doing now?” Charlie asked.

“Just texting Xav” Ruby said.

“For goodness sake Ruby you’ve already called him twice today what the heck is there left to talk about?” Charlie asked.

“Stuff” Ruby said as began to hit the buttons on her phone, texting Xavier back.

“Well I’d appreciate it if you could put your phone down for all of 5 minutes and have a conversation with me” Charlie said “You were the one who wanted this trip away after all”

“Yeah but that was when I was all single and depressed like you” Ruby said.

“Excuse me?” Charlie said as she sat up in the sunbed and gave her daughter an angry look.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean it like that. I just meant....” Ruby trailed off, not knowing what to say.

“Look, Ruby, I know things have been hard lately, but I am trying so hard to...” Charlie trailed off as she looked down.

“I know. I know you are” Ruby said as she stood up from the sunbed and took a seat next to her Mother. “You’ll get there” Ruby said.

“When?” Charlie asked “I think about him all the time. Ruby, I can’t him out of my head. How am I going to get over him?”

“Maybe the fact that you can’t is because you don’t want to?” Ruby said tentatively. Charlie gave Ruby a confused looked. “Well you love him that’s clear and I know that you know what he did was wrong, and he’s is being punished for it, so maybe you feel that once he gets out of jail that there is a chance for you two. So maybe the fact that you’re not going let go is because you don’t need to”

Charlie shook her head lightly as she bit her lip “I don’t know. I don’t think people like him are capable of changing”

“Well do you think he’s worth the chance of trying to prove that to you?” Ruby asked and Charlie sighed lightly as she shook her head.

“C’mon lets go for a swim before Morag gets back with Jacob” Charlie said as she stood up.

“Mum, don’t avoid the question” Ruby said as she stood up and followed Charlie towards the pool. “Mum” Ruby said, but once again Charlie remained silent. Could she really see herself giving Brax another chance once he got out of jail? Could Brax really change?

“Is he worth the chance? Yes” Charlie said “But do I think he’ll change? No” Charlie shook her head. “That’s why Brax and I are over now and for good”

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you Soph1303, Aden_Belle, Sarah, RR1, once_upon_a_mind and pembie. I dont like this next one....I'm not sure there's really any point in it, but oh well. Just trying to round things off before the next one, maybe... :unsure:

Chapter 62

It was now the last day of the holiday and Charlie had done her best to try to forget about Brax, focusing on having a good time with Ruby, Jacob and Morag. “Hey, you had a fun time baby” Charlie cooed as she lifted her son into her arms. Jacob looked up at his Mother his big blue eyes widening as she spoke to him. “You listening to Mummy” Charlie asked and Jacob continued to stare up at her.

“Mum can I please borrow your phone?” Ruby asked and Charlie shook her head “Well can I have some money for credit?” Once again Charlie shook her head.

“Morag?” Ruby questioned as she looked to her.

“No, sorry” Morag said “I would but I don’t think your Mum would be too pleased” Ruby sighed as she threw her phone down in annoyance.

“It’s your fault, Rubes” Charlie sighed “You shouldn’t have used it so much in the first few days”

“Well sorry for wanting to talk to my boyfriend” Ruby sighed.

“We are going home soon, so you’ll be seeing him in a few hours anyways” Charlie said.

“You’re so.....” Ruby trailed off “I’m going to go pack” Ruby said before she walked away from Charlie and Morag.

“So, are you looking forward to be going back home?” Morag asked and Charlie shook her head lightly.

“I could do with a few more weeks” Charlie sighed. “But that’s just dreaming. I have to go back to reality one day”

“You’ll get through this Charlie” Morag said. “It might take a while, but you’ll get over him”

“You know, maybe I have lost him, but what we had was great, so maybe, short and sweet...you know, it’s better to have loved and lost than never loved at all, right?” Charlie asked and Morag nodded lightly.

“I think you’re right” Morag smiled.

“Yeah, well I eh...” Charlie trailed off and Morag could see she was still uncomfortable with the topic. “I’m going to go pack” Charlie said as she stood up and placed Jacob back in the pram, before she walked off. Morag sighed lightly before she too stood up and went off to pack for going home.

Charlie walked into the diner where she’d agreed to meet Bianca for a coffee and catch-up. “Hey, how’s my little boy” Bianca cooed as she reached into the pram and lifted Jacob into her arms. “We’re going to have to give that mummy of yours a telling off because she took you away for a whole week and I didn’t get to give you cuddles” Bianca said and Charlie laughed lightly at her friend. “I don’t know what she was thinking taking you away from me for so long”

“So when were you going to tell me. It just became so clear to me” Charlie said and Bianca pulled a face of confusion “You’re just using me to get to my son”

“Well yeah, I mean look you, you’re a state Buckton” Bianca said before they both laughed lightly. “No, seriously, how are you?”

“I’m....” Charlie trailed off “Look I’m fine. Am I anywhere near getting over Brax, no. But I’ve talked through some things with Morag and I think I’m in a good place right now, so....” Charlie said.

“Well if you ever want to talk about it, I’m here” Bianca said.

“I know” Charlie smiled as Leah came over to take their order.

“Hey” Leah cooed as she looked down at Jacob “Who’s a cutie baby”

“Oi, back off lady, this kid is mines” Bianca said.

“Really? I seem to recall I was the one who gave birth to him” Charlie said.

“Oh that’s just a technicality” Bianca said before they laughed.

“Anyways what can I get you ladies?” Leah asked.

“Two latte’s and I’ll have a slice of your chocolate cake please” Bianca said and Leah nodded before she looked to Charlie.

“And anything to eat for you?”

“No, thanks” Charlie said and Leah nodded before she headed back in the direction of the kitchen.

“Do you want your baby back?” Bianca asked as she handed Jacob over to Charlie.

“Why?” Charlie questioned “The way you’ve been talking I was starting to think you were about to kidnap him” Bianca laughed lightly as she gestured for Charlie to take the baby.

“Well as cute as he is I don’t think I can deal with the smells coming from him just yet” Bianca said as she curled her nose up.

Charlie sighed lightly as she stood up and took her son into her arms. She picked up the nappy bag before she left to go to the restroom to change her son’s nappy. “Oh Jacob” Charlie said “They all say they love you but then when it comes to changing you’re stinky nappies you can only count on Mummy. Yes you can” Charlie cooed as she changed her son’s nappy, before she lifted him back into her arms. “Oh baby Mummy loves you so much. You’re just so precious” Charlie cooed before she walked back to the table, re-joining Bianca.

“So” Bianca said “Have you heard from Nicole since she moved away?”

“She text me yesterday” Charlie said “I’m not sure if it was the best idea moving away so soon after Angelo’s death, but there wasn’t really any stopping her”

“No, but I guess she just wants to get on with her life” Bianca said and Charlie agreed.

“Yeah and I guess she can always come home if she doesn’t like it” Charlie said, before she took a drink of her coffee.

“Should you actually be drinking caffeine right now?” Bianca asked.

“One cup will be fine” Charlie said as she looked down at her son who was lying happily in her arms before she yawned.

“You look really tired” Bianca said “Why don’t you give me this little one for a few hours. You go home and rest”

“No” Charlie shook her head “I can’t leave him”

“Charlie, it’s for a few hours” Bianca said “I know you’ve just been on holiday, but you don’t really have that holiday glow. You look shattered”

“I am” Charlie yawned “But I can’t leave him. He’s still young and I don’t...”

“You know, he won’t be taken from you again. So, you don’t have to worry about that”

“I know” Charlie nodded “And I appreciate the offer, I really do, but I can’t leave him yet. I just want to be close to him”

“Okay” Bianca said “Well, you now the offer will always stand it can’t be easy having to do this on your own”

“Thanks” Charlie smiled “And I will hold you to this babysitting thing one day, but just not yet”

Ruby and Xavier were walking along the beach, hand in hand. “I’m glad I home” Ruby smiled.

“I’m glad your home too” Xavier grinned “But you had a good holiday right?”

“Yeah it was good” Ruby said “But I did miss you”

“Rubes, we’d only been together like 12 hours before you left”

“I know, but you know we agreed to start a relationship then I left for week. We didn’t really get a chance to spend time together”

“Well you’re back now and we can spend lots of time together” Xavier smiled.

“Yeah until I get all this uni work and you’ll be working” Ruby sighed.

“We’ll still find time to meet” Xavier said “And besides I’m only going to be working at the surf club, so it’s not like I won’t can still talk to you”

“Xav, you’ll be working” Ruby laughed.

“Yeah but part of that will be me being a life guard so I’ll be on the beach” Xavier smiled as he stopped walking and pulled Ruby close to him.

“Well” Ruby smiled as she looked up to Xavier and placed a kiss on his lips. “I’m really glad you decided to give things with me another go” Ruby smiled as she and Xavier began to walk up in the direction of the diner.

“Yeah, me too” Xavier smiled as he took Ruby’s hand in his.

Thank you Sarah, Soph1303, RR1, pembie, Zoe and cb2180 for the comments. I hope this next one is okay :unsure:

Chapter 63

17 months later

Charlie sighed lightly as she lifted her son out of the bath and grabbed the towel and wrapped it around him before she pulled him close to her, into a hug. “No” Jacob shouted.

“No hugs?” Charlie said as she looked down at her son and Jacob shook his head.

“No” Jacob said as he tried to break free from Charlie’s grasp.

"Well maybe I’ll have to tickle you instead” Charlie cooed as she began to tickle her son and he erupted into laughter.

“No no” Jacob giggled, before Charlie stopped tickling her son and continued to dry him.

“Is that your favourite word baby?” Charlie asked.

“No” Jacob answered and Charlie laughed as she lifted her son up into her arms and walked through to his bedroom to get him dressed for bed. There was a knock at the door, and a voice shouted hello and they walked into the house. “Hey, I’m in Jacob’s room” Charlie shouted.

“Hey” Bianca smiled as she walked into the room.

“Ooh someone’s all dressed up” Charlie said “What’s the occasion?” Charlie asked as she put a nappy onto her son, before grabbing his pyjamas.

“We are going out” Bianca smiled.

“I can’t go out” Charlie shook her head “I don’t have a sitter for Jacob”

“Yes you do” Bianca said “I’ve talked to Ruby and she’s going to stay in”

“Well she’s at Xavier’s right now” Charlie answered and Bianca shook her head.

“She’s coming round at 7. We are going out. Please Charlie we’ve not been out in so long” Bianca clasped her hands together as she stuck her bottom lip out. Charlie sighed lightly as she looked down at Jacob, who was sitting in her arms, pulling at her hair.

“What do you think baby, should Mamma go out?” Charlie asked.

“No” Jacob started to violently shake his head as he babbled away. Charlie laughed lightly as she looked up at Bianca who was still standing as before.

“For a little bit” Charlie said.

Bianca let out a scream of excitement as she walked over to her. “You baby, come with me because your Mummy needs to go dress up” Bianca said as she took Jacob into her arms before walking through to the living room with him. She placed him down on the floor and he ran over to his toy box and picked up the book on the top before walking over to Bianca and looking up at her with his big blue eyes. “You want Bianca to read you this book?” Bianca asked as she looked down to Jacob. Jacob started to babble as he jumped up and down. Bianca smiled lightly as she lifted him onto her knee and took the book into her hands. “Oh the A-Z book” Bianca said “You’re Aunty Bianca bought you this” Bianca smiled as she opened the book up and showed him a picture of an apple. “Apple” Bianca said as she pointed to the picture.

“Abble” Jacob said as he put his hands on the book, trying to turn the page. Bianca smiled down at him as she helped him turn the page.

“Can you say ball” Bianca said as she pointed to the picture.

“Ball” Jacob said before he giggled in excitement.

“Who’s a clever boy” Bianca said and Jacob screamed in excitement before he tried to turn the book again.

“Mamma” Jacob said as he turned his head to the side. “Mamma” Jacob said again as he struggled on Bianca’s knee.

“Hey, Mamma is busy Jakey. Look at the book” Bianca said and Jacob looked up at Bianca as he stuck his bottom lip out.

“Mamma” Jacob said again as his lip began to tremble.

“Hey, Jakey, look” Bianca said as she pointed down to the book, trying to distract Jacob “Duck” Jacob looked down at the book and stared at the picture before he turned the page. Bianca and Jacob sat looking through the book, until they made it all the way to Z. “Zebra” Bianca said “Can you say Zebra?” Bianca asked and Jacob looked up at her, before he looked back to the book.

“Zeba” Jacob grinned “Zeba zeba zeba” Jacob shouted excitedly before he clapped his hands.

“Aww clever baby” Bianca said and Jacob squealed as Ruby and Xavier walked back into the house.

“Hey Bianca” Ruby smiled as she walked over to the couch. Jacob squealed as he looked up at her. “Hey to you too Jake” Ruby said as she lightly ruffled his hair. Jacob smiled up at Ruby before he looked back down to the book, wanting to go through it again. “So, you told Mum where she is actually going tonight?”

“Do you think she’d be getting ready if I did?” Bianca asked as Ruby shook her head as walked over to the fridge and pulled out a bottle of juice and threw it across to Xavier.

“Ehm probably not” Ruby said as she sat down on the couch.

“Do you think she’s ready?” Bianca asked.

“I don’t know” Ruby shrugged her shoulders “I mean it’s not going to do any harm for her to go out and try is it?” Ruby said as Jacob crawled over to Ruby and she placed him on her knee.

“No, but the closer it gets for us to go, the worse I feel about this” Bianca said “She might not take it too well and well not go”

“She’ll be fine” Ruby said as Charlie made an appearance in the living room.

“Mamma mamma mamma” Jacob shouted as he pushed himself off the couch and ran over to her.

“Hey little man” Charlie said as he lifted Jacob back into her arms. “You been good for Bianca”

“No no” Jacob shook his head before he leaned against Charlie’s shoulder as he put his thumb in his mouth. Charlie laughed lightly.

“Someone’s got a new favourite word” Xavier laughed as Charlie pulled Jacob’s thumb away from his mouth.

“Okay, well I’m ready to go” Charlie said and Bianca smiled as she stood up from the couch. “Right, so give him another half hour before putting him to bed, and remember to give him his bottle, oh and he’ll -”

“Mum” Ruby said sounding offended “I know his routine and everything and I’ve watched him before and yeah, I know everything, so just go out and have some fun”

“Right sorry” Charlie said as she put Jacob down on the floor but he immediately grabbed onto her leg.

“Mamma no” Jacob said.

“You be a good boy for Ruby” Charlie said as she pulled Jacob back and gave him a kiss and cuddle.

“Uby” Jacob laughed as he held his hands up to go her. Ruby picked her little brother up.

“Wave bye-byes” Ruby said and Jacob waved as Charlie and Bianca left the house.

“So not how I thought I’d be spending my Friday night” Xavier sighed and he looked up at Ruby who was pulling silly faces as Jacob laughed.

“Sorry, but he’ll be in bed soon and then we can watch a movie and just chill, it’ll be fine”

“I know” Xavier sighed “But one thing”

“What?” Ruby questioned.

“No Matthew McConaughey movies”

“Okay” Ruby said “If that’s what it’s going to take to get you to stay” Ruby said before she and Xavier laughed.

“So can you tell me why you brought me to the Yabbie Creek Town Hall?” Charlie asked as they were walking across the car park.

“Okay, but you promise you won’t get mad?” Bianca asked.

“What is it?” Charlie asked.

“Speed dating” Bianca said and Charlie stopped walking and looked at her friend.

“What?” Charlie questioned.

“Well you’ve not been with anyone since Brax and apart from those few dates with Heath I’ve not been with anyone since Liam. Let’s just go in there and have a bit of fun” Bianca said.

“But speed dating, really?” Charlie asked “Can’t we just go to a bar?”

“No” Bianca said “I really want to try this and I want you to come too, please” Bianca pleaded.

“I’m not ready for this” Charlie said.

“Charlie it’s been 17 months since Brax. You need to let go” Bianca said and Charlie shook her head.

“I don’t want too”

“Charlie, I’m not asking you to go and sleep with the first guy you see” Bianca said “But please, just at least try to get out into the dating world. You’re way too hot to be single forever”

Charlie exhaled lightly before she nodded her head. “Okay, but I’m not accepting any date offers. I’ll talk to them that’s all”

“Good, that’s all I ask” Bianca smiled as she linked her arms around Charlie’s. “Let’s go”

Thank you Aden_Belle, Zoe, RR1, pembie, Sarah, soph1303 and Sazzle for the comments. :wub:

Chapter 64

Charlie sat at the table, biting her bottom lip, feeling nervous for what she was about to do. She sighed lightly as she ran her hands through her hair. “I don’t want to do this” Charlie mumbled as she turned around and tried to find where Bianca had been seated to ask if she wanted to leave.

“Okay everyone hello and welcome” The lady said “Over the next few hours you’ll get the chance to talk to lots of interesting people, or maybe not, that’s for you to decide” The lady paused as some laughter came from the room. “So, ladies you will remain seated, and men, you will move tables every 3 minutes. So if you’d like to go and take a seat” The lady said and the night began. Charlie looked at the first man that was sitting before her. He was short, balding and looked about 50.

“Hey I’m Malcolm” The man smiled “I’m a janitor at a high school and I’m divorced and have no children” Malcolm smiled at Charlie as he held his hand out for her to shake. Charlie smiled awkwardly at Malcolm, declining the offer of the hand shake.

“I’m Charlie, I’m a police officer and I have 2 children”

“A police officer eh” Malcolm grinned “I love a woman in uniform” Charlie once again smiled awkwardly.

“Could you just excuse me for a second? I need to go to the restroom” Charlie said before she got up and left the table. Bianca, noticing this, got up and chased after her.

“Oi Charlie” Bianca said “What you doing?” Bianca asked as she saw Charlie heading towards the door.

“I can’t do this” Charlie shook her head “It’s weird”

“Okay, so I admit that guy sitting with you looks weird but there are some hot guys here, so just let’s keep giving this a chance” Bianca said and Charlie sighed before she nodded.

“Okay, 3 more guys and if I don’t see anyone even remotely likeable, I’m out of here” Charlie said.

“Sounds fair” Bianca said before they walked back into the room, and over to their tables. Taking a deep breath Charlie sat back down.

“Good to have you back” Malcolm grinned “So you don’t have any pictures of you in this uniform, do you?” Malcolm winked and Charlie shook her head.

“No” Charlie said.

“Okay, so you said you had kids, how old?”

“A daughter, nineteen and a son, 18 months” Charlie answered.

“Nineteen, hey” Malcolm grinned “You got a picture of her?”

“Not, for you to see” Charlie said feeling even more uncomfortable.

“That’s a shame” Malcolm said “So what do you like?” Malcolm asked.

“Ehm, well” Charlie stared to talk, but was glad to hear the bell ringing, indicating that the men had to move on.

“Well maybe catch you again” Malcolm winked before he moved onto the next table. Charlie took a drink of her wine as she looked up at the next man sitting at the table with her. He looked about 16 and had long messed up dreadlocks, and a shaggy beard. He was wearing torn up jeans, flip flops and a Bob Marley t-shirt.

“S’up, I’m Deeks” The man said as he smiled at Charlie.

“I’m Charlie” Charlie said as she looked at the man.

“You’re stunning”

“So what’s your real name?” Charlie asked not believing that someone could be called Deeks.

“Deacon” The man laughed “But everyone calls me Deeks like”

“Well if you don’t mind, I’ll call you Deacon” Charlie said and he man nodded.

“Hakuna Matata” The man said and Charlie’s eyes widened. Was this guy for real?

“So, Deacon what do you do for a living?” Charlie asked, trying her best to get into the night.

“Oh nothing” Deacon said “I’ll just strum my guitar, write some songs, and smoke some joints” Charlie’s eyes widened at the last statement.

“So, you have no plans to work?” Charlie asked and Deacon shook his head.

“One day I will. But right now I’m only 24 so, still young” Deacon said and Charlie nodded lightly. “Anyways, enough about me, how’s ya rolling?”

“How’s my what?” Charlie questioned.

“You know, your job, your life, how you rolling?” Deacon asked and Charlie sighed lightly as she shook her head.

“Right now, not great” Charlie muttered under her breath. “Eh well I’m a police officer and I -”

“Totally take back what I said about smoking the joints man, just a joke”

“I’m sure it was” Charlie said, not believing him. Once again, Charlie found herself relieved to hear the bell ringing.

“Hey, I’m Marcus” The man smiled as he sat down. Charlie looked at him at smiled. He was smart, in a suit, had blond hair and blue eyes, and she had to admit, was quiet handsome. But she wasn’t going to get excited yet she knew there had to be a catch.

“Charlie” Charlie smiled as she shook his hand.

“So, Charlie, what do you do for a living?”

“I’m a police officer” Charlie answered “How about you?”

“I’m a lawyer” Marcus said.

“Oh, interesting” Charlie smiled and Marcus nodded.

“It’s a great job to have” Marcus smiled “I love it. But don’t get me wrong, I still leave time for dating”

Charlie smiled lightly. “So, how old are you, if you don’t mind me asking”

“Not at all” Marcus said “I’m 34, and I know it’s rude to ask a lady her age, but?”

“I’m 33” Charlie said, before they once again both smiled at each other.

“And what do you do for a living, Charlie?”

“I’m a police officer” Charlie said and Marcus nodded.

“A good job to have. What rank?”

“Sergeant” Charlie smiled and Marcus nodded impressed.

“So, what sort of hobbies do you have?” Marcus asked.

“I like to go to the beach, spend time with my friends, I have two kids, so -”

“Oh, kids” Marcus shook his head “I don’t do kids. I don’t have time for the dirty little things”

“I’m sorry but my kids are not dirty” Charlie said.

“Oh they’ll get dirty. You know out playing, bringing all these germs into the house. No, not for me” Marcus said.

“Well I can’t get rid of my children now so” Charlie trailed off.

“No, shame, you seemed nice. Not to add gorgeous” Marcus said just as the bell rang, once again indicating it was time to move on. After 3 more unsuccessful meetings, the lady called time, for a 10 minute break. Charlie sighed as she walked up to the bar and found Bianca.

“Well, how’s it going?” Bianca asked.

“Well let’s see, we have creepy Malcolm, some weird rasta typed kid man and a guy who was starting to sound great, but has a major no policy when it comes to children. And don’t even get me started on the others” Charlie sighed. “How about you?”

“No” Bianca shook her head “Just no”

“Want to leave?” Charlie asked and Bianca shook her head.

“No, I still have faith that someone with be here for us” Bianca said.

“Well I think I’m just going to go” Charlie said as she turned around and went to walk away but Bianca grabbed her hand, causing her to stand still.

“You are staying” Bianca said as she handed Charlie a glass of wine. Charlie sighed lightly before she nodded her head. After the break, Charlie went back over to the table and was ready for another round of the same un-datable men.

“Hey, I’m John. Name, job, kids?” The man said, but before Charlie had a chance to answer, he continued to talk “I’m 36, I’m work in McDonald’s, I have 7 cats and I live with my mother. Here’s my cats” He said as he put the picture down on the table. “This is Floss, and this is Pip and this is Misty and this -”

“They’re lovely” Charlie said before she pursed her lips together. “So John, you really still live with your Mother?”

“Oh yeah” John nodded “Great cook, does all my laundry, live there rent free, why would I want to move out?”

“Well you’re 36” Charlie said and John shrugged his shoulders. “I mean isn’t it weird if you have a girlfriend?”

“I’ve never had one yet” John said and Charlie eyes widened as she brought her hand up to her mouth.

“Never?” Charlie questioned and John shook his head.

“No no, but I’m hoping to lose my virginity by the time I’m 40”

“Oh wow” Charlie said “I eh...” Charlie trailed off, unsure of what to say.

“You don’t need to say anything” John said “I mean I know you might be thinking that I seem really confident with hot women but it’s just a nervous thing. I just keep speaking till I get told to stop and sometimes people just let me talk but that makes me more nervous and then I talk even more and then -”

“Okay, stop” Charlie said, although John just kept on talking.

“See maybe we could just go into the bathroom now, you know, get it over with, for me” John said.

“Eh really not” Charlie said feeling more than slightly uncomfortable.

“Oh well you know at least I tried” John said as Charlie saw beads of sweat dripping down his forehead. “You’re smoking hot. The guys at Macca’s would never believe it anyways” Charlie was relieved when the bell rang indicating that the men where to move on. “Well nice getting to know you” John said before he stood up and moved onto the next table. Charlie sighed lightly as she turned around to find Bianca was staring right at her, and both women shook their heads. This night was going from bad to worse.

“Hey, I’m Ryan” The voice made Charlie jump slightly as she turned around, telling herself that this guy was going to be the last, then she was leaving, with or without Bianca.

“Charlie” Charlie sighed as she kept her head down.

“You don’t look like you want to be here” Ryan said.

“That’s because I don’t” Charlie sighed once more, before she eventually looked up. She liked what she saw. He was handsome. He was tall, had big brown eyes and dark hair, but she knew that there had to be a catch somewhere.

“”Oh that’s a shame” Ryan smiled as he took a seat.

“Maybe I could give it one last try” Charlie smiled and Ryan nodded lightly.

“I’d like that” Ryan said. “So, Charlie, what’s a gorgeous woman like you doing at speed dating?”

“I could ask you the same question” Charlie said as she blushed. “Sorry, not that I meant you were a woman, I just meant....” Charlie trailed off feeling embarrassed.

“I know what you meant” Ryan said before they both laughed lightly. “So, Charlie, tell me a little about yourself”

“Well, I’m 33, I’m a police sergeant, I have 2 children and yeah, that’s pretty much it. What about you?”

“I’m 40, I work in advertising, I have a daughter and that’s pretty much it too” Ryan said before they both laughed lightly. This guy was sounding good, there had to be something coming to make him like everyone else she’d seen tonight, Charlie thought.

“So, how old are the kids, if you don’t mind me asking?” Ryan said as he took a drink of his beer.

“My son is 18 months” Charlie said “And my daughter is 19” Charlie was prepared for something nasty to be said here, as was the case a lot of the time when people found out the age of Ruby.

“Sweet” Ryan smiled “My daughter is 22. I was 18 when she was born. Her mother left a few months later and we haven’t seen or heard from her since. So it’s mostly just been me and Emma” Ryan said. “I’ve had a few girlfriends, but I wanted to find the perfect mother for her and no-one came up to that, so mostly it’s just been me and my girl” Ryan smiled. “She recently left me to go travelling around the world. I hate it, but she’s grown now and I have to let her go” Ryan said. “And she has to phone me every day or at least send a text so I know she is safe” Ryan laughed lightly “Sorry, you probably didn’t need to know that but it just feels comfortable talking to you so” Ryan said before he stopped talking.

“It’s fine” Charlie smiled “And I think I’d the same if Ruby left. I’d probably be calling her twice a day” Charlie said before they both laughed lightly.

“Well it’s probably being a young parent, you know, we have a good relationship with our kids”

“Yeah” Charlie agreed before they both smiled at one another.

“So, you have a little boy too. It must be nice having a little one. I miss Emma being that age, they grow up so fast”

“It’s great” Charlie smiled “And they really do grow up fast. I can’t believe he’s 18 months already”

“So I guess he is with his father tonight?” Ryan asked and Charlie shook her head.

“No, Ruby is looking after him”

“Ah big sister babysitting” Ryan smiled.

“Well she does come in handy for some things” Charlie laughed just as the bell rang, indicating it was time to move on. “Oh” Charlie said sounding rather disappointed.

“I know” Ryan said “Do you maybe want to get out of here? Have something to eat and we can keep this going?” Ryan asked and Charlie nodded lightly as she stood up from the table and left the building with Ryan.

Thanks everyone :D Hope you like this next one.

Chapter 65

“So” Ryan said “Did you go back to work since having the baby or are you one of those long term maternity leave mothers?” Ryan asked.

Charlie laughed lightly “I went back part time when he was 6 months old. I’ll go back to full-time eventually, but right now, I’m just enjoying being with him as much as I can”

“Enjoy it now” Ryan smiled “Soon enough he’ll not be wanting to hang out with you”

“Nah, I’m a cool Mum” Charlie laughed “He’ll always want to hang out with me”

“I’m sure he will” Ryan said before they smiled at each other. Talking with Ryan was really easy, and Charlie felt like she’d know him all her life, as opposed to the hour it had actually been.

“So, you said you were in advertising?” Charlie questioned and Ryan nodded.

“Yeah”

“So, you make up any slogans I would know?” Charlie asked and Ryan laughed lightly.

“Probably not” Ryan said “I never said I was any good at it” Ryan laughed and Charlie joined in. “But no, I love my job and that’s the most important thing, right?”

“Yeah, totally. I love my job too I couldn’t imagine being anything else” Charlie said.

“Just not enough to go full-time” Ryan laughed.

“Well I mean there’s loving my job, but then there is loving my son. It doesn’t come close and I would stop being an officer in a heartbeat if I had to for Jacob”

“Yeah I’m sure anybody would” Ryan smiled and Charlie agreed as the waitress came over, taking their empty plates away.

“Could I get you anything else?” She asked.

“Not for me” Charlie shook her head.

“No, just the bill would be great, thanks” Ryan smiled and the girl nodded, before she took the plates away, returning, moments later with the bill. Charlie leaned over, trying to see how much it was, but Ryan was quick to hide it from her.

“How much do I owe?” Charlie asked as she opened her bag and took out her purse.

“Nothing” Ryan laughed “It’s my treat”

“No, I want to pay” Charlie said.

“Charlie, this is a date, isn’t it?” Ryan asked and Charlie nodded.

“I guess” Charlie said.

“Well then I’m paying” Ryan said.

“Well thank you” Charlie smiled.

“Not a problem”

“Maybe I could return the favour?” Charlie asked.

“Did you just ask me for a second date?” Ryan asked and Charlie nodded.

“I guess I did” Charlie said shyly. “But if you don’t want to then -”

“No, no” Ryan shook his head “A second date sounds lovely” Ryan and Charlie then left the restaurant and began walking down the road. It was then why Charlie’s mobile began to ring.

“Sorry” Charlie said as she looked up to Ryan. “Hello....hey Rubes, I’m....yeah.....well have you tried giving him a little more milk?......okay, what about singing to him....yeah twinkle twinkle little star......okay you tried that, eh....what about his blankie, does he have that close to him? Yeah the green one....okay, I’m on my way” Charlie said before she hung up the phone. “Sorry, he woke up and won’t go back down. I should go”

“It’s fine” Ryan smiled as they made their way across to the taxi rank. “But we’ve swapped numbers and we’ll definitely get that second date arranged”

“Yeah” Charlie nodded as she stopped outside the first taxi. “Well goodnight and thanks I had a good night” Charlie said and Ryan smiled.

“Me too and here” Ryan said as he opened his wallet and went to hand Charlie $20.

“What’s that for?” Charlie asked.

“Your taxi home” Ryan said.

“Oh no no” Charlie shook her head. “I don’t need that. It’s fine but thank you”

“Okay, well I’ll let you get back to your son” Ryan said.

“Yeah bye” Charlie smiled before she got into the taxi. Ryan stood and watched her as the car drove away. Charlie sat in car and thought about her night. A smile swept across her face as she thought about seeing Ryan again.

”Twinkle twinkle little star, how I wonder what you are” Ruby sang as she rocked Jacob in her arms. “C’mon baby” Ruby said desperately. “Stop these tears now”

“Oh my God” Xavier said “What the heck is wrong with him?”

“I don’t know Xavier” Ruby yelled “Maybe instead of moaning you can help try to settle him”

“I don’t know what to do” Xavier said as Ruby walked over to him, putting Jacob in his arms.

“Well I need a break because it’s been 30 minutes and he won’t stop” Ruby said before she walked out of the room.

“Hey, shh shh” Xavier said as he tried to settle Jacob. “Hey, big boys don’t cry” Xavier said as Jacob continued to scream.

“Mamma” Jacob screamed as the tears continued to roll down his cheeks.

“Mamma will be here soon” Xavier said as he continued to rock the boy in his arms. “Ruby” Xavier shouted “Can you come back here please” Xavier asked as Ruby walked back into the room.

“I’m going to go crazy if he doesn’t stop this damn crying” Ruby said as she stood in the doorway.

“Take him back” Xavier said as he handed Jacob back to Ruby. Ruby sighed lightly as he looked down at her brother in her arms, tears streaming down his face.

“M-a-m-ma” Jacob said again between his tears as he tried to escape from Ruby’s grasp.

“C’mon sweetie” Ruby said “Shh.....why is he being like this?”

“How do I know?” Xavier answered. “You checked his nappy right?”

“Of course I did” Ruby spat, just as the door opened and Charlie walked into the house.

“Oh Jacob, what’s all this” Charlie asked as she walked over to her baby and took him in her arms. Jacob continued to scream in her arms as Ruby and Xavier left the room, thankful for Charlie to be home to take over. They walked down the hall and into Ruby’s bedroom, and although they could still hear Jacob crying, it was a lot quieter. Ruby turned on her music and Beyoncé Knowles Crazy in Love came for the stereo, much to Xavier’s dismay.

“Whoa” Ruby said as she sat down on her bed. “Sometimes he makes me reconsider having kids”

“You think about that already?” Xavier asked and Ruby nodded.

“Of course” Ruby said “Don’t you think about the future?”

“Well yeah, but not having kids” Xavier said as he sat down next to Ruby. “I’m still trying to figure out what I want to do with my life”

“Why don’t you just stay at the surf club” Ruby asked and Xavier shrugged his shoulders.

“I thought I could do something better than being a life guard and wiping tables”

“Well yeah, but, look John owns the place, right?” Ruby asked and Xavier nodded. “And he is your step-dad”

“Right, so what are you getting at?” Xavier asked.

“That maybe if you stay there, one day the place could get passed onto you” Ruby said.

“Well I guess, maybe” Xavier said.

“I’m not saying you have to stay there forever, I mean if you can find a course you want to do then go to uni but you know, it’s an option” Ruby said and Xavier nodded in agreement. “And, also, while we are talking, you do want kids, don’t you?” Ruby asked.

“Yeah but not for like another 10 years at least” Xavier said. “I’m only 19. I want to live a bit more first”

“10 years” Ruby repeated “I want kid’s way before that”

“How much is way before?” Xavier asked.

“Like as soon as I’m done with uni” Ruby said.

“What Rubes, that’s only 2 and a half years away” Xavier said feeling surprised.

“Yeah but I want to be a young Mum” Ruby said.

“But don’t you want to get a job and earn more money before you start bringing babies into the world?” Xavier questioned.

“Well you’re working so you’re making money” Ruby said.

“Me?” Xavier questioned.

“Well yeah we’ve been together almost 18 months now, I mean when you think about your future am I not your wife?”

“As I said I haven’t really been thinking about that” Xavier said.

“Oh okay then” Ruby said sadly and she looked away from Xavier.

“It doesn’t mean I don’t want to have a future with you, I just haven’t really thought much about it. I’ve just been living in the now” Xavier said and Ruby nodded.

“Really?”

“Of course. Rubes, I love you so much” Xavier said as he turned her head to face him again.

“I love you too” Ruby smiled before Xavier pulled her close for a kiss. The kiss became more passionate just as Charlie walked into the room, after finally settling Jacob down.

“Ruby turn the music down please, Jacob is sleeping” Charlie said and Ruby sighed lightly as she walked over to the music player and switched it off.

“Happy now?” Ruby asked.

“I didn’t tell you to switch it off. I just asked you to turn it down” Charlie replied and Ruby shook her head.

“Yeah to what like some volume where I can hardly hear it for fear of waking Jacob” Ruby moaned.

“Well you know he’s a lightly sleeper” Charlie sighed “And Xavier, you know the rules” Charlie said as she leaned again the door frame.

“I’m sorry” Xavier said.

“No, Xavier, you don’t need to be” Ruby said “Mum we are 19 years old. Okay, we are adults. If I want my boyfriend to come into my room then I’m going to have him in my room. Will you stop treating us like we are 15 year olds” Ruby yelled.

“Ruby as long as you live under my roof you’ll live under my rules. I don’t mind Xavier being here but I don’t want him in your room”

“Why” Ruby shouted “It’s not as if we are going to be doing anything illegal”

“Will you keep your voice down” Charlie said and Ruby shook her head “And while you like under my roof, you live under my rules” Charlie said again.

“Oh my God, why are you being like this?” Ruby asked “You know that we have sex, and you know that I’m on the pill, and we also use protection. I don’t get what the big deal is. Unless you’re just jealous because you’re not getting any because the man you’re still in love with is in jail” Ruby yelled and Charlie stood in silence, shocked at her daughters comment. “That’s totally it, isn’t it? You’re not getting any so I can’t either. Well you know what, I’m 19 and you can’t stop us from having sex” Ruby said before she stood up from the bed. “C’mon Xav” Ruby said as he took his hand and started to walk out of the house.

“Rubes this isn’t about you two having sex” Charlie said as she felt tears forming in eyes. “Come here” Charlie said as she walked after Ruby.

“No we are going out” Ruby yelled “I changed my plans tonight so I could watch Jacob for you, for what? For you to come home and started dictating all this crap to me”

“Ruby, there’s no point in going out. It’s almost 11 anyways”

“See that’s another stupid thing. What 19 year old apart from me has a curfew? Stop treating me like a little kid” Ruby yelled.

“Ruby will you stop shouting and come here” Charlie asked and Ruby shook her head.

“No” Ruby yelled “I’m sick of all this Charlie. I’m moving out” Ruby yelled before she and Xavier walked out of the house slamming the door shut behind them. And as Charlie had expected, cries came from Jacob’s bedroom. Sighing lightly Charlie shook her head before she went to check on her son.

Thank you soph1303, Sarah, RR1, Aden_Belle, Zoe, totally and once_upon_a_mind! I really appreciate that you take the time to write a little something. :) once_upon_a_mind, I loved your theories! I'm pretty sure one of those has to right, right? :P:unsure: So anyways, hope you like this next one.

Chapter 66

Charlie knocked on the door of Xavier’s house, hoping that Ruby was still there. It was the next morning, Charlie deciding that going after Ruby last night was only going to make this worse. “Charlie” Gina smiled “I thought I’d see you today. Come in” Charlie stepped into the house and took a seat on the couch, putting Jacob down on the floor. He sat there happily looking down at his A-Z book that he was carrying in his hands. “Can I get you a coffee or anything?”

“No thanks” Charlie said as she shook her head. “I just wanted to talk to Ruby. I figured that she’d have spent the night here last night”

“She did” Gina nodded “And don’t looked so upset, she didn’t stay in Xavier’s room”

“You wouldn’t allow that either?” Charlie asked.

“Well they are 19, so I don’t think I could stop them, but Xavier knows I wouldn’t be happy if she did. But, no, Ruby slept in the guest room” Gina said and Charlie sighed with relief as a small smile formed on her face. “She didn’t want to betray you, Charlie. She was more upset over having an argument with you that anything else”

“I really need to learn to trust her more, don’t I?” Charlie asked and Gina nodded lightly. “I just, I know Xav is a lovely guy and he wouldn’t, but there are some really nasty people out there and I just don’t want her to get hurt, so giving her these rules and curfews and stuff, it’s just my way of making sure I know she’s safe and I want to protect her you know and -”

“It’s understandable that you’d want to protect your daughter, any Mother would be the same. But maybe you should also realise that Ruby is an adult and loosen the strings a little. You don’t want to push her away, do you?”

“No” Charlie said as she wiped away a tear that had escaped her eye. “So, I take it Ruby isn’t here right now?”

No” Gina shook her head “Her and Xavier went to the beach”

“Oaky, well, could you tell her she isn’t allowed to stay here?” Charlie asked “Or make her see she should come home?”

“I can try” Gina said and Charlie smiled lightly as she rose to her feet as he lifted Jacob to standing.

“Thanks” Charlie smiled as she gently pushed Jacob forward causing him to walk out of the house with Charlie and back to their house, where they found Bianca waiting on there return.

“Beebee” Jacob said excitedly as he ran over to Bianca.

“Hey Jakey” Bianca smiled as she took him in her arms, before Charlie unlocked the door, before they walked into the house. “So, Miss Buckton, care to tell me where you went last night? I’m pretty sure I saw you leaving with a guy” Bianca said as she sat down on the couch, sitting Jacob on her knee.

“Could I get you a coffee?” Charlie asked and Bianca nodded.

“Yes, but, c’mon, name, age, job, what’s the goss?” Bianca said, sounded excited at the prospect of Charlie having been on a date.

“His name was Ryan” Charlie said as she flicked the kettle on. “He’s 40 and he’s in advertising. He’s a single Dad and it felt nice to be out again” Charlie smiled as took the milk out of the fridge, to pour in the coffee.

“Mmm hmm and was there a goodnight kiss? A second date arranged?” Bianca asked.

“No kiss” Charlie shook her head “But we did sort of arrange a second date” Charlie said as she poured the water into the cups and added the milk, before she gave it a stir.

“How do you sort of arrange a second date?” Bianca asked as Charlie walked across to the couch and took a seat, placing the coffee’s down on the table.

“Well we swapped numbers and said a second date would be good, but then Ruby phoned and said that Jacob wouldn’t stop crying so I came home”

“Oh” Bianca said “Well why don’t you give him a call?” Bianca suggested.

“I don’t want to seem to desperate” Charlie laughed “I’ll give it a few days”

“Okay, well it’s your choice” Bianca said as she leaned forward and picked up her coffee cup and took a drink.

“So, what about you?” Charlie asked “Did you meet anyone?”

“No” Bianca sighed. “But at least one of us may have found something from the night” Bianca smiled before she looked down at Jacob who was making his way through the book.

“Zeba” Jacob clapped.

“Yeah” Bianca smiled “Maybe you can be my little man, Jakey” Bianca said and Jacob looked up at Bianca and giggled as he pulled at her necklace.

“Oh Jacob” Charlie said as she pulled his hand away “We don’t pull on that” Jacob’s hand immediately went back to the necklace as Charlie once again pulled it away.

“Jacob no” Charlie said and Jacob looked to Charlie.

“No” Jacob shook his head as he picked his book back up and handed it to Charlie. “Mamma” Jacob said as he held his arms out to go to her. Charlie put her coffee cup back down on the table and lifted Jacob onto her knee before she started going through the book with her son.

“So, do you think you’re Mum would let me move in with you?” Ruby asked “Or maybe we could look for a place of our own?”

“Rubes, we cannot afford a place of our own” Xavier sighed.

“Well I mean I could get a part time job, and you’ve got your job, I’m sure we can manage”

“Ruby just talk to your Mum” Xavier said.

“No, I’m sick of living under all her rules” Ruby sighed “I’m going to move out, so if I can’t stay with you then I’ll find a place of my own”

“You won’t can afford a place of your own” Xavier sighed.

“Well I’ll drop out of uni and get job” Ruby argued “Anything to not go home”

“Rubes” Xavier said “Don’t drop out of uni”

“Don’t you go telling me what to do either” Ruby sighed “I’m 19. I’m a big girl. I don’t need all her stupid rules. She so overprotective it’s unreal”

“She loves you, Ruby. She’s just looking out for you” Xavier said.

“Oh go take her side why don’t you” Ruby spat.

“I’m not on anyone’s side” Xavier sighed and Ruby glared at him. “I mean except from yours” Xavier added “But I do get where you Mum is coming from and you know it is her house, so maybe you should just respect her wishes when it comes to things like me staying over. Or not, as the case” Ruby shook her head lightly.

“Nah” Ruby shook her head “I’m going to move into my own place. And then you can stay over anytime you want” Ruby smiled. “And it’s not just about you not being able to stay over. I won’t have a curfew, I will can play my music as loud as I want and won’t have to ‘keep it down because Jacob is sleeping’” Ruby mimicked Charlie’s voice as she said the last part. “You know, I will can do what I want when I want. I’ll can actually live”

“Well if you ask me I think you and Charlie should just sit down and talk things over. Maybe you guys can come to some compromise” Xavier said and Ruby shook her head.

“No it’s always her way or no way” Ruby sighed. “She has to realise I’m not a little kid anymore”

“Yeah so she has be prepared to make some changes too, but Rubes, just talk to her and tell her you feel like this”

“This is my Mum we are talking about” Ruby sighed “She’s not going to give on anything”

“Well you’ll never know until you try” Xavier said and Ruby sighed lightly.

“Fine, I’ll talk to her” Ruby sighed before she looked around Xavier. “Now c’mon lets go for his swim” Ruby said as she took Xavier hand and led her down to the ocean.

Thank you Aden_Belle, Shezza, Zoe, RR1, Sarah and soph1303 for the comments.

Chapter 67

Charlie had just put Jacob down for a nap when Ruby walked into the house. “Rubes, hey” Charlie smiled down at her.

“So if you want me to continued living here then we need to talk” Ruby said. Charlie nodded lightly as they walked over to the couch.

“Okay, but we’ll have to keep it down because Jacob is asleep” Charlie said and Ruby sighed as she shook her head.

“See Charlie, this is exactly what’s been bothering me” Ruby said “I can’t do anything when Jacob is asleep for fear of waking him”

“Well I’m sorry, but he’s a light sleeper” Charlie said. “And I’m not saying you can’t do anything I just mean don’t shout so loud or play your music so loud, you know stuff like that”

“Okay fine, when Jacob is sleeping I can deal with being quieter, but what about the curfew thing” Ruby asked “Do I really need a curfew at 19?”

“Well I just want to go to bed knowing your safe, so yeah, I mean it would be nice if you came home before that happened”

“What about if I text you to let you know that I’m fine, where I am, when I’m coming home, that kind of stuff. None one else has a curfew” Ruby sighed. Charlie bit her lip and she exhaled lightly.

“I just don’t want you coming in and out of the house at all hours” Charlie said.

“Yeah and I won’t” Ruby said “I mean we do live in Summer Bay, there’s not that much to do here. I’m just asking for a little bit of trust. I mean you do trust me, don’t you?”

“Of course I do Rubes” Charlie sighed.

“So then please lift my curfew”

“Isn’t 11 late enough for you? I mean as you say, what’s there to do here?”

“Forget it” Ruby sighed “I told Xavier you wouldn’t listen” Ruby made to stand up but Charlie put her hand on her arm, causing her to sit back down.

“Okay, no curfew” Charlie sighed “But that doesn’t mean I want you trailing in at 2, 3 in the morning. You have to be sensible about it” Charlie said and Ruby nodded.

“I will be” Ruby smiled.

“Okay” Charlie smiled “But Ruby, the one thing I am not going to change my mind on is Xavier staying over and don’t push me on this one Ruby” Charlie said “He can be over here, and I’ll even go as far as saying that he can be in your room, that’s fine, I’ll learn to deal with that, but I don’t want him staying over”

“Why?” Ruby asked “I’m 19, he’s 19, it’s not as if we underage, you know we have sex, I don’t get what the big deal is about Xavier sometimes staying over”

“Because what Mother wants to think about her daughter doing that?” Charlie asked “Rubes, I know you’re doing it and I know that you’re sensible with it, and that’s all I need to know”

“Yeah but just because he is going to be staying over doesn’t mean that we will.....I just want to lay close to him and have that feeling of waking up next to him” Ruby said “I mean what’s the difference when you had Brax staying over?”

“I’m an adult” Charlie said.

“So am I” Ruby sighed.

“But I’m the parent” Charlie raised her voice slightly “I’m sorry Ruby, but it’s not happening. Anything else, fine we’ll reach a compromise on but I am not going to change my mind about this. As long as you live under my house, it’s my rules and I am sorry, but I don’t want you to have your boyfriends staying over”

“So you’re not going to budge at all on this?” Ruby asked and Charlie shook her head. “Okay, so how much will I need to get a place of my own?” Ruby asked.

“More than you’ve got” Charlie said “And you’re at uni that should be your priority”

“Well if I want to get a place of my own, maybe I should get a job and give up on uni”

“Is Xavier staying over that important to you that you are going to move out over it?”

“If I said it was would you let him stay?” Ruby asked and Charlie shook her head. “So you’d let me move out?” Ruby asked and Charlie shook her head.

“Well as you keep saying you’re an adult so I couldn’t stop you, but, I don’t think you’ve got a bad deal here Ruby. You live here rent free. I could easily make you get a part-time job so you can start helping me pay the rent and bills and stuff but I don’t, I give you money when you want it, I pay for your phone, new clothes, Ruby I think you do just fine staying here and if the only bad thing we’ve got now is your boyfriend can’t spend the night, then I don’t think you’ve got it bad at all”

“Well when you put it like that” Ruby sighed “I guess it’s not that bad”

“So we’re okay here?” Charlie asked and Ruby nodded.

“Yeah, we’re good” Ruby smiled before she gave her Mother a hug. Charlie placed a soft kiss on top of her head, just as Charlie’s mobile went off. Ruby rushed to pick it up and saw that she had a text message from Ryan. “Ohhh who’s Ryan?” Ruby asked as Charlie took her phone from her. Charlie ignored her daughter as she read the message, a smile forming on her face, before she went to reply. “Mum, c’mon” Ruby said.

“I met him last night” Charlie said “And we got talking and we went out for dinner”

“Oh my goodness” Ruby beamed “He’s just asked you on a second date, hasn’t he?”

“Yeah” Charlie smiled as she looked back down at Ruby.

“And well, what did you say? What’s he like?” Ruby asked.

“He’s really nice, and it just feels really comfortable talking to him and I said yes and we’re going out on Tuesday” Charlie smiled as she looked to Ruby.

“Where does he live? Where’s he taking you?”

“He lives in Reefton Lakes and -”

“Reefton Lakes, he must be rich” Ruby smiled.

“Ruby” Charlie sighed “What makes you say that?”

“Well there’s lots of nice big houses up there, I’d imagine they’d cost you a good bit” Ruby said. “But anyways, where is he taking you? And what are you going to wear?”

“I don’t know that yet” Charlie answered “He’s not taking me out till Tuesday, so I still have like 3 and half days left to decide”

“Oh my gosh Mum no” Ruby shook her head “You need to decide this now, I mean; you want to look hot for him, don’t you? We need to pick you out a dress, then shoes, then accessories, then think of how you want to do you make up, what you want to do with your hair....there’s so much to do” Ruby beamed.

“Why are you so excited for me having a date?” Charlie asked.

“Cos it’s taken you so long to get here” Ruby answered “It’s like almost 18 months since Brax went to jail and only now are you starting to think about dating”

“Maybe the fact that I haven’t bothered with dating is because I’ve had a baby to raise” Charlie said “I just figured Jacob was a priority over me finding a boyfriend”

“No, you still needed to make time for yourself” Ruby said “And now you’ve got there it’s great. And now that you’ve taken the step it could mean that you don’t actually love Brax anymore” Ruby said and Charlie pursed her lips together as she exhaled. “Or maybe you do? Seriously, you still love him?” Ruby asked.

“I can’t help how I feel. I don’t think I’m ever fully going to get over Brax, but I need to start trying and Ryan is really nice so, I dunno, maybe in a few months time, I’ll be over Brax and could possibly be in love with Ryan”

“Well maybe now I don’t think this date is such a good idea” Ruby said.

“What?” Charlie questioned “You were all excited for this a minute ago”

“Yeah but you just said you still love Brax” Ruby said.

“You knew that anyway” Charlie argued “Or you seemed to think it last night”

“Look I’m sorry for what I said last night” Ruby said “But if you still love Brax after all this time then maybe you shouldn’t start something up with Ryan. I mean he’s served 18 months next month, what if he gets out and wants to start something up again?”

“It won’t happen” Charlie shook her head “I can’t forget about who he is, or used to be. I’m a cop Ruby I can’t be seen with people like him”

“Okay” Ruby said as she sighed lightly.

“Okay? You’re not going to say anything more?” Charlie said sounding surprised.

“Well there’s no point really. You seem to have made your mind up. I can’t quite understand it myself but whatever you feel is right you gotta do” Ruby said and Charlie smiled lightly at her daughter.

“I want to go on this date” Charlie said “It’s time I did, and he seems really nice”

“Well then you go for it” Ruby smiled “Now how long will Jakey be asleep for?”

“Around 2 hours” Charlie said and Ruby smiled as stood up from the couch.

“I’ll get the movie, you get the popcorn ready” Ruby smiled as she made her way through to her bedroom. Charlie exhaled lightly before she stood up from the couch and made her way to the kitchen.

Thank you Aden_Belle, Sarah, RR1, Zoe, pembie and JosieTash for the comments. :wub: Hope you like this next one.

Chapter 68

Charlie stood in her bedroom, dressed and ready for her date. The red strapless dress she wore, cut just above the knee, and clung in all the right places. She took a deep breath before she applied her lipstick, finishing off her make-up. She was nervous, she’d never felt this nervous in a long time. But at the same, she also felt excited about the prospect of being out on a date, about getting to know someone. “Wow doesn’t Mummy look stunning Jacob” Bianca said as she walked into the room with Jacob in her arms.

“Mamma” Jacob clasped his hands together excitedly.

“You don’t think it’s too much do you?” Charlie questioned.

“No, Charlie, you look great”

“Good, because I’m under strict instruction from Ruby that I have to wear this dress” Charlie said.

“Well I think Ruby’s made a great choice” Bianca smiled “Hmm what do you think Jakey? Mamma looks lovely doesn’t she?”

“No” Jacob shouted as he shook his head.

“Oi” Charlie said as she walked over to Bianca and lightly tickled Jacob’s side. “We’re going to have to teach you how to say yes” Charlie laughed as Jacob giggled.

“No” Jacob said before he shook his head.

“So what time you going out at?” Bianca asked.

“Seven” Charlie said before she took another deep breath. “I’m nervous”

“Anyone would be” Bianca said as she placed Jacob down on the floor. Jacob grinned as he started to run around the room.

“Jacob, c’mon” Charlie said as she and Bianca made their way out of the room and Jacob ran after them. They walked into the living room and took a seat on the couch as Jacob ran over to the toy box and picked up his book.

“Mamma” Jacob said as he lifted the book up as high as he could. Charlie smiled lightly as she lifted her son up onto her knee. “Oh Jacob you love this book right now don’t you” Charlie said as she looked down at her son, who had a big grin on his face as he opened the book the book.

“Abble” Jacob smiled as he pointed to the picture.

“Aww sweetie Mummy has to go out for her date” Charlie said and Jacob looked up at her and pulled a face.

Jacob shook his head “Book Mamma”

“Hey, Jakey, how about Aunty Bianca reads to you instead?” Bianca said as she lifted Jacob onto her knee and looked down to the book.

“I have to go” Charlie said as she kissed Jacob. “See you soon sweet pea” Charlie cooed as she gave Jacob a kiss. “Thanks for watching him tonight” Charlie smiled.

“No problem” Bianca smiled “Have fun” Charlie smiled before she left the house.

“Mamma go” Jacob said as he pointed to the door.

“Yeah, but she’ll be back soon” Bianca said before she started to go through the book with Jacob again.

“No” Jacob threw the book away as he struggled on Bianca’s knee until she let him down. He ran through the house to his bedroom and tried to open the wardrobe door.

“Hey, Jacob what you doing?” Bianca asked as she walked into the room.

“Jacob shoes” Jacob said as he pointed to the wardrobe. “Mamma”

“Hey, Jacob, how about we go play with your toys” Bianca said as she walked over to Jacob and lifted him into her arms before she walked back through to the living room. “What have we got in here hmm” Bianca said as she put Jacob down next to the toy box and the pair of them started looking through it, looking for a toy to play with. Jacob picked up a foam ball before he threw it at Bianca and it bounced of her head before flying across the room. Jacob giggled hysterically. “Was that funny?” Bianca asked as she looked at Jacob who was still laughing. Jacob stood up and ran across the room and picked the ball up before he once again threw it in the direction of Bianca. This time Bianca caught the ball as Jacob ran over to her and fell into her arms. Bianca pulled him into a hug before she started to tickle him and Jacob erupted into laughter. “Okay” Bianca said before stopped tickling the boy. “Probably not the best idea to get you wound up before bedtime” Jacob giggled before he jumped up and ran away through the house. Bianca stood up and went to chase after him. It was going to be a long night.

Charlie and Ryan were walking along the beach before their dinner. “So, how’s your day been?” Ryan asked as he looked down to Charlie.

“Good” Charlie smiled “I had work this morning, but it was pretty quiet actually. Then I spent the afternoon with Jacob”

“Have fun?” Ryan asked.

“Yeah we went to the park and then we went to feed the ducks. Although I’m pretty sure at one point he didn’t say duck” Charlie said as she looked up at Ryan.

“Teaching your son explicits already?” Ryan laughed.

“He didn’t get it from me” Charlie said and Ryan smiled.

“No, I don’t think he would”

“So, anyway, how has your day been?” Charlie asked.

“Yeah good” Ryan smiled “Work went pretty quickly then I got a phone call from Emma. She’s in Brazil right now, heading to Argentina on Thursday”

“Sounds good” Charlie smiled “I’d love to see that side of the world”

“So, I guess you’ve never been there then” Ryan said and Charlie shook her head.

“No, I’ve never been out of Australia” Charlie said.

“Oh wow” Ryan said “There’s so much to see out there. Why haven’t you been?”

“Growing up my Dad was always too busy to take me on a vacation. He was a workaholic. Sometimes me and Mum would go away for a week or so, but it was only somewhere in Australia. Then Ruby arrived and my Mum got sick, so that stopped as well. Sometimes I’d take Ruby down to the beach and we’d pretend we were somewhere really exotic but obviously it wasn’t the same....so I guess you’ve been out of Australia?”

“Oh yeah” Ryan nodded “Dad loved a vacation. As soon as he got back from one he was planning the next. We went all over. Hawaii, Thailand, Bali, Portugal, Spain, France to name a few”

“Lucky you” Charlie smiled.

“Yeah, well maybe if things go well with us maybe one day I could take you somewhere”

Charlie smiled lightly “I have a son”

“Well he’d be coming too” Ryan laughed “Even Ruby if she wanted. Emma as well. The whole family”

Charlie smiled feeling slightly uncomfortable. This was only their second date and he was already talking about them going on family outings. “I think we’re getting a bit ahead of ourselves. It’s only our second date”

“I know, sorry. Let’s just think about tonight” Ryan laughed lightly. “So, how is this place, Angelo’s? I heard good things about it, but I’ve never been yet”

“It’s nice” Charlie smiled as they walked up the beach and made their way through the surf club and up the stairs into the restaurant.

“Charlie” John smiled “Nice to see you”

“Hello” Charlie said as he showed them to their table. In the absence of Brax, Alf and John had been running Angelo’s, with Casey and Xavier also having job’s there.

“Can I get you anything to drink?” John asked.

“Could we see a wine list please?” Ryan asked and John nodded before he walked off to get the wine list. “First impressions are good, looks nice, attentive host” Ryan said as he nodded. Just as John arrived back with wine list. Ryan looked down at the list for a second before looking to Charlie. “Red or white?”

“Either is nice” Charlie smiled.

“Okay, we’ll have a bottle of this one” Ryan said as he pointed to the list.

“Very good choice” John said before he left and returned moments late holding the bottle. “Achaval Ferrer Finca Altamira, from 2007” John said and Charlie’s eyes widened.

“Did you pick a bottle of wine for 90 dollars?” Charlie asked and Ryan nodded his head.

“Yes” Ryan said “We want something nice, don’t we?”

“Yes, I guess we do” Charlie said.

“The lady will taste it” Ryan smiled as he looked back to John. John gave a gentle nod before pouring a small amount in her glass. Charlie smiled nervously before she picked up the glass, and tasted the wine. It was okay, but if she was going to be honest, she’d say she preferred her usual 20 dollar bottle of merlot. Not wanting to hurt Ryan feelings for paying so much for a bottle of wine, she didn’t particularly like, she decided to say she liked it.

“That’s a really nice wine” Charlie smiled as she put her glass back down on the table.

“It thought you’d like it” Ryan smiled as John filled up their glasses before leaving them for a few moments, to decide what they wanted to eat.

“So, we could get a large pizza, and share, if you wanted?” Ryan asked and Charlie nodded as she looked at the menu. “So, you’ve been here before. What pizzas would you recommend?”

“I’d definitely go for the meat lovers” Charlie said.

“Okay, sounds great” Ryan smiled. “So” Ryan said before he took a drink of his wine “You mentioned your family before. Well your parents, do you have any siblings?”

“No” Charlie shook her head “I’m an only child”

“Oh, did you ever get lonely? I mean I know Emma did. You know you have your friends, but there’s nothing like a brother or sister for company. And of course she had her cousins”

“Sometimes I would. But, Ruby came along and she.....” Charlie trailed off, not wanting to tell Ryan their history. “But before that, I guess I did only have my friends. I don’t have any cousins. My Dad was an only child and my Mum’s sister didn’t have a family”

“Oh, I think I’d have hated that, no offense” Ryan added.

“None taken” Charlie said “I was really close to my Mum, so I don’t really feel I missed out on anything. And going by what my friends said having a sibling was just about hate and arguing, and didn’t really sound like I was missing out on anything, but, anyways, what about you? Do you have any siblings?”

“2 brothers and a twin sister” Ryan smiled “Me and my sister are in the middle. Now I have 9 nieces and nephews so family times are big. Family is really important to us”

“Well that’s something I agree on. Even if my family is just me, Rubes and Jake”

“Oh I’m sorry. I guess your parents have passed on?”

Charlie nodded lightly “My Mum died 3 years ago and my Dad at the beginning of this year. I guess my Aunty is still my family, but she moved to Perth not that long ago, so I guess we don’t really talk much”

“I’m sorry” Ryan said.

“It’s fine. My Mum was sick for a long time. I think its best that she could finally be free from the pain” Charlie smiled lightly as Casey walked over to the table ready to take their order.

“Charlie” Casey said as he noticed who it was. “You’re on a date?”

“Yeah” Charlie answered.

“But what about Brax? You guys were prefect together”

“And who ruined that” Charlie said and just as Casey went to reply, Charlie stopped him. “We’ll have a large meat lovers please and thank you” Charlie said and Casey sighed lightly before he walked away.

“That was?” Ryan asked as he gave Charlie a questioning look.

“Casey” Charlie said “He’s Ruby’s ex-boyfriend”

“Okay, but the mention of Brax? Who’s Brax?”

“Brax is his brother. My ex” Charlie said before she bit her lip.

“Oh. Is Brax Jacob’s father?” Ryan asked and Charlie shook her head.

“No, that would be Angelo” Charlie answered.

“Angelo? As in Angelo’s?” Ryan asked as he looked around the room and Charlie nodded.

“That doesn’t make me sound bad does it? I mean there’s Angelo and then I was with Brax and now....” Charlie trailed off as she looked up at Ryan.

“Well I don’t know the circumstance of why either of those relationships ended. And I think it’s a bit early for that conversation also” Ryan said and Charlie nodded lightly. “But, Angelo isn’t that who showed us to our table, is he?” Ryan asked and Charlie laughed as she shook her head.

“No, no, God no. That’s John” Charlie said.

“Oh, sorry” Ryan said. “So, this is your ex-boyfriends restaurant?” Ryan questioned “Is Angelo here?”

“Yes and no” Charlie said. “It was Angelo’s but then he sold it to Brax” Charlie said.

“Oh, well is Brax here?”

“No, he’s currently....living away from here” Charlie said and Ryan nodded.

“So this John guy, is he the owner now?” Ryan asked.

“Sort of, I guess” Charlie answered before she took a drink of the wine.

“So I don’t have to be worried that he’ll be your next guy? I mean you seem to like the men who own this restaurant” Ryan joked.

“Not at all” Charlie laughed “John can be lovely, but he is married and I’m out on a date with a lovely guy already” Charlie said before they smiled at each other.

“Well cheers to that” Ryan smiled before Charlie and Ryan clinked glasses together before they took a drink, and waited on their meal arriving.

Thank you Sarah, JosieTash, totally, RR1, Zoe and Sazzle. I appreciate that you write something :) I hope you like this next one.

Chapter 69

Charlie and Ryan were walking along the road in the direction of Charlie’s house. They’d had a lovely dinner, followed by another drink at the bar, before they’d left the restaurant. “Thank you again for dinner” Charlie smiled as she looked at Ryan.

“Don’t worry about it” Ryan smiled.

“Although this was supposed to be my treat, you paid the first time” Charlie said.

“Well, if you’d like date number 3 could be on you” Ryan said before he smiled down at Charlie.

“I’d like that” Charlie smiled.

“Good, me too” Ryan said. “So, where you taking me? Paris....Milan?” Ryan laughed.

“I was thinking maybe dinner at my place? Although, actually, I don’t want to put you through my cooking, so maybe not” Charlie laughed.

“Don’t tell me you can’t cook?” Ryan asked and Charlie pulled a face.

“Why, is that a deal breaker?” Charlie asked and Ryan laughed.

“Of course not” Ryan said “I was just messing. Well lucky for you, I happen to be not too bad with the cooking stuff, so maybe you could come to dinner at my place?”

“But then that’s you paying again” Charlie said.

“Well you need to bring wine and dessert” Ryan said and Charlie nodded lightly.

“I could do that”

“Good, then it’s sorted” Ryan smiled. “Can you make Thursday night?”

“No, I’m working Thursday night” Charlie said “We could do Friday?”

“Sounds great” Ryan smiled as they approached the door of Charlie’s house. “So, I guess I’ll see you Friday?” Ryan asked and Charlie nodded lightly before they both stood, staring awkwardly at each other.

“So ehm, thanks again for tonight” Charlie smiled.

“It’s no problem” Ryan smiled before he took a deep breath. He was going to go for it. He leaned forward slowly, and was relieved when he saw Charlie lean her head forward also, causing their lips to meet. The kiss was soft and lasted a matter of seconds before they both pulled back. Charlie smiled lightly as she looked up into his eyes, before going to kiss him again, this time the kiss lasting longer.

“Right” Ryan said as they pulled back “I should get back”

“Yeah” Charlie said “So I’ll see you Friday?”

“See you Friday” Ryan smiled before he turned and walked away. Charlie bit her lip as she watched him walk away, before she walked into the house. She smiled as she saw Bianca lying on the couch, with Jacob lying on top of her, both of them sound asleep, Bianca’s arm wrapped protectively around the young boy, Jacob tightly clutching onto his little blankie. She exhaled lightly before she walked over to her friend, and gently shook her shoulder.

“Bianca” Charlie said softly “Bianca”

“Bianca’s eyes began to flutter before she opened them fully. “Charlie....what” Bianca said. Charlie gently lifted her sleeping son into her arms to allow Bianca to sit up. Bianca yawned as she wiped the sleep from her eye. “Charlie, I’m so sorry, I fell asleep”

“Don’t be silly” Charlie laughed “It’s fine. Look, I’ll go put Jacob in his cot. I’ll be right back” Charlie said before she walked out of the room and down the hall and into Jacob’s room. She gave her son a soft kiss on the forehead before she placed him down into the cot. She stood over him for a few minutes watching as he slept before she walked back through to the living room and took a seat on the couch next to Bianca.

“How do you do it?” Bianca yawned “He’s a lovely kid, but by gosh it’s exhausting” Charlie laughed lightly as he looked at her friend. “I though once I’d bathed him he’d settle, you know, know it’s almost time for bed, but he’s been wild Charlie”

“I know, I’m his Mother. I deal with that everyday”

“I don’t know how” Bianca sighed “I’m exhausted after just one night. He climbs, and he run’s and he....”

“It’s just a phase. I hope” Charlie said.

“So, anyways, Buckton, how did this date go?” Bianca asked.

“It was nice” Charlie smiled “We had dinner at Angelo’s and we walked along the beach and then he walked me home and yeah, that’s all”

“Mmm hmm....you kissed him, didn’t you Buckton?” Bianca asked.

“A little goodnight kiss might have happened” Charlie said casually.

“Well, what was it like?” Bianca asked.

“It was a kiss. It was nice; it was.....there were no fireworks you know it wasn’t like kissing -” Charlie trailed off before she finished the sentence. “He’s so nice, but he’s not....well he’s not Brax”

“No no” Bianca shook her head “We’re not going there Charlie, okay. Yes, I know Ryan isn’t Brax. It’s not going to be the same. The dates, kissing, the sex, because he is a different person. Charlie if you are going to date this guy and try to move on then you can’t compare him to Brax”

“I know” Charlie said “But I can’t help sometimes thinking about him. You know would we have still been together or would be getting married or would we still be living here or....” Charlie trailed off as she bit her lip.

“Well I think you need to decide if you want to move or if you are going to wait for Brax. Because you going out and starting something up with this guy for you to just break it off once feelings develop, it’s not fair Charlie” Bianca said. “And I think you know that”

“I love Brax” Charlie said “I think a part of me always will, but knowing who he is, we won’t work together, we’re too different” Charlie shook her head.

“Well then stop feeling sorry for yourself and move on. This guy sounds really nice and maybe you two could be even happier than you and Brax ever were. But that’s only going to happen if you let what you had with Brax go, because Charlie you don’t have that anymore, it’s in the past. But Ryan, he could be your future”

Charlie took a deep breath as she listened to what Bianca was saying. Bianca was right; Charlie did need to decide what she wanted. “You’re absolutely right” Charlie said. “I don’t need to make this decision right this second, do I?”

“Well no, but you probably should before you go on any more dates with Ryan. You don’t want to give him the wrong message” Charlie nodded lightly at her friend.

“I hate it when you’re right” Charlie said and Bianca laughed lightly before she stood up.

“Well I’m going to love you and leave you. I need to go to bed, I’m exhausted” Charlie stood up and walked Bianca to the door. “See you later” Bianca said before she gave Charlie a hug.

“Bye and thanks for watching Jacob tonight” Charlie smiled.

“Not a problem” Bianca smiled before she walked away. Charlie sighed lightly as she closed the door, before walking through to her bedroom. She pulled the face wipes out of her drawer and was about to wipe her make-up off when her mobile beeped. She exhaled lightly before she opened her bag up and took the phone out, noticing she had a message from Ryan. Forgot to tell you my address, thinking you might need it for Friday. It’s 14 Rose Street. (Behind the fire station) Thanks for such a great night. Ryan Charlie smiled lightly before she exited the message. She went into her photos and scrolled along to the one of Brax. She would often look at the picture and think about what they had, and she once again found herself doing this. She stared down at the picture and smiled. Thinking about what she had with Brax and then what she could have with Ryan. Sighing lightly she hovered her finger over the delete button dithering whether to delete the picture or not. Taking a deep breath, she’d come to her decision. She hit the delete button and watched as the picture disappeared, being replaced by a picture of Ruby holding a new-born Jacob. She smiled lightly as she looked down at her children, before exiting the pictures. She went back into her messages and typed a reply for Ryan. Thanks. Think it might come in handy. Thanks again for tonight, I had a great time. Looking forward to Friday. Charlie Charlie smiled as she placed her phone back down on the table. Bianca was right. Brax was in her past, but Ryan? Well, he could become her future.

Thank you so much helen2289, Sarah, JosieTash, soph103, Cally, Lucii, once_upon_a_mind, RR1, totally, pembie, Zoe and ldscott for the comments. :wub: Hope this next one is okay.

Chapter 70

Charlie was removing her make-up from her face when Ruby appeared back home, wandering into Charlie’s bedroom. “So Mother” Ruby said cheerily “How was the date?” Ruby asked as she sat herself down on Charlie’s bed.

“It was good” Charlie smiled “Better than good”

“Oooh” Ruby said “So, when is the next date?”

“Friday” Charlie smiled “If I can get a sitter for Jacob anyways”

“I’ll stay in and watch him” Ruby said “I’ve got an assessment on Monday so I need to revise for that. So once he goes to bed, I’ll get that done”

“Thanks” Charlie smiled as she looked at her daughter. “So, how was your night?”

“Yeah good, April and I just watched a couple of DVD’s. But that’s not really interesting. Tell me about your date” Ruby said.

“I dunno” Charlie said “We went out for dinner and had a walk along the beach”

“Oh a romantic moonlit stroll” Ruby said she placed her hands on her heart. “So lovely”

Charlie laughed lightly as she shook her head at her daughter. “It wasn’t quite like that; we went for the walk before dinner”

“Mum, don’t ruin the image. It’s nice to think of you all happy and starting up a new relationship, so if I’m seeing this stroll across the beach in the moonlight, I will”

“Okay” Charlie laughed lightly.

“So can you see a future with this guy?” Ruby asked “You know, marriage, maybe even more babies?”

“Rubes, we’ve been on two dates” Charlie said “I think it’s a bit soon to thinking about that kind of stuff”

“Well sometimes you just know” Ruby said.

“Well I’m not thinking about that. I’m just going to take this one date at a time and we’ll see how it goes. But, it’s a no to having more babies. You and Jacob are enough”

“Really?” Ruby questioned “Don’t you think it would be nice for Jake to have a brother or sister?”

“What are you like?” Charlie asked.

“Well yeah but, I mean someone close to his age” Ruby said.

“Well you’ve made it no secret that you want to have babies in the next few years so he’ll have his nieces or nephews”

“So you’ve definitely made up your mind your mind then? What if Ryan was to want another kid?”

“Then I’ll tell him we should break up because we want different things”

“So you wouldn’t have a baby for him because you love him?”

“Ruby, I don’t love Ryan, okay. We’ve only been on two dates and it’s way too soon to be having this conversation so can you just leave it”

“Okay” Ruby said “What about introducing Jacob to Ryan? When will that happen?”

“I don’t know. But it’s too soon for that as well”

“Well this conversation isn’t really any fun. You’re not giving much away” Ruby sighed “I going to go to bed, night” Ruby said as she stood up and kissed her Mothers forehead.

“Night sweetie” Charlie said as Ruby left the room.

Charlie walked up the path of the house, holding the bottle of wine, and the raspberry cheesecake that she brought for dessert. She knocked on the door and took a deep breath, still feeling nervous for meeting Ryan. “Charlie” Ryan smiled as he opened the door. “You look lovely” Ryan said as she looked to Charlie, who was wearing a blue dress, once again, strapless and it cut just above the knee.

“Thank you” Charlie smiled “You look nice too” Charlie said, looking at Ryan.

“Well, I try” Ryan laughed before Charlie walked into the house, as she handed Ryan the wine and cheesecake, before they walked through to the kitchen.

“Homemade?” Ryan asked as he looked down to the cheesecake.

“Sure it was” Charlie smiled “Just not in my house and most probably a factory”

Ryan laughed lightly as he put the cheesecake down on the worktop before he opened the drawer and took out a corkscrew to open the wine. “So I made a carbonara” Ryan said as he poured the wine into a glass, before handing it to Charlie. “I hope that’s okay, maybe I should have checked if you liked it first”

“Its fine” Charlie smiled “Carbonara sounds good”

“Well it’s almost ready” Ryan smiled before he took a drink of his wine. “Nice choice” Ryan smiled.

“Thanks” Charlie said before she bit lip, standing in silence.

“So” Ryan said “Do you want to take a seat?” Ryan asked as he pointed to the table. “Dinner should about 5 minutes more”

“Yeah sure” Charlie smiled as walked over to the table and sat down, before her mobile began to ring. “Sorry” Charlie apologise before she took the phone out of her bag and answered it. “Hey.....no don’t worry, it’s fine. What’s wrong?......, oh, ehm, did you check under the cot?.......yeah you got it, okay.....okay, is there anything else you need?.....okay, bye.....yeah see you later” Charlie hung up the phone and put it back into her bag. “Sorry about that. Couldn’t find Jacob’s blankie and he doesn’t sleep without it” Charlie laughed lightly.

“It’s fine” Ryan smiled as he gave his pasta a stir “So, it’s nice that you and his father seem to get along, even if it is just for Jacob’s sake. Actually it’s nice that he is looking after Jacob so you can go out on a date with another man”

“That wasn’t Jacob father” Charlie shook her head “Ruby is watching him”

“Oh, I’m sorry, I just assumed” Ryan said “It kind of seems like Jacob’s father isn’t interested?”

“He was” Charlie said “He was so excited to be a father and he loved Jacob so much”

“You’re talking past tense?” Ryan said, confused.

“He died” Charlie said.

“Oh my God, Charlie I am so sorry” Ryan said softly as he walked over to her and knelt down in front of her, placing his hand on hers.

“It’s fine” Charlie smiled weakly “Angelo and I were over before I even knew I was pregnant. He ehm, well he cheated on me”

“Well I don’t want to speak ill of the dead, but, what a jerk” Ryan said.

“He wasn’t a jerk” Charlie shook her “He was lovely and sweet and kind”

“Sorry” Ryan said.

“It’s fine. Even if I did think all those things, he still didn’t want to be with me”

“You can tell me it’s none of my business, but how did he....” Ryan trailed off.

“He was shot” Charlie said before she sighed lightly, feeling the need to tell Ryan the truth about what happened. “He didn’t like Brax, my boyfriend after him. Said he was a criminal” Charlie laughed lightly at herself for letting things go as far as they did with Brax. “Of course I didn’t believe him. But anyways, not long after Jacob was born, the truth came out. Brax was a drug dealer. Angelo was right. But, Angelo being Angelo, well he had to get himself caught up in it and he got caught in the cross fire, trying to do good, but he had a tendency of mucking things up. Anyways, some guy Brax was doing the deal with, shot Angelo and he didn’t make it. Needless to say, Brax and I were over and he went to jail” Charlie said before she pursed her lips together. “So, you know, after losing two people who I loved, I’ve not really done this whole dating thing for a while, so...” Charlie stopped talking as she looked down.

“Well so far I think you’re doing good” Ryan smiled “You’re really sweet Charlie, and if it’s any consolation, I wouldn’t dream of cheating on someone and drugs; they not my scene” Ryan said before he lightly brought Charlie’s head back up to face him. They smiled lightly at each other before Ryan leaned forward and placed a soft kiss on her lips. Charlie responded, the kiss become a little more passionate.

“Mmm” Charlie smiled as she pulled back, looking into Ryan’s big, brown eyes. “So, I’m a little hungry”

Ryan laughed lightly before he stood up. “Well lucky for you, diner is about to be served”

Archived