Nothing Lasts Forever

Guest Danni02

Thank you all so much. :wub:

Chapter 41

Angelo and Brax were out in the corridor of the hospital. Charlie had now had the baby, and they had left to let her get some rest, although Ruby was still sitting by her side, with the baby lying happily in her arms. “So” Angelo said “The baby’s here”

“Observant” Brax laughed.

“You know what I mean” Angelo said “So, go on tell her”

“You can’t be serious” Brax sighed “She’s just had a baby. I’m not going to tell her just now. Please, just give it a few months”

“Months” Angelo yelled “I don’t think so. Tell her now or I will”

“Look, I can’t tell her now. She’ll be devastated and she needs this time to be great Mother to that baby. Just please, a few months”

“You two might want to keep it down” Ruby said as she walked out of the room. “You can hear voices in there”

“Rubes” Brax said “You need to make him see that me telling Charlie the truth now, it’s not the right time”

“You know?” Angelo questioned as he looked to Ruby, confused.

“Casey got me involved in this a few days ago” Ruby sighed “I’d rather not know, but I do so…..” Ruby trailed off “But I do agree with Brax. This isn’t the time, Angelo”

“Yeah and when is going to be the right time?” Angelo questioned “There’s never going to be a right time. If you love Charlie, you’ll do the right thing”

“Don’t give me that” Brax shook his head.

“Okay then you give me no choice. I’m going to the police” Angelo said.

“No, Angelo” Ruby shook her head. “Please, just, let him do this one last deal, then he’s going legit” Ruby said and Angelo laughed.

“You’re actually serious, aren’t you?” Angelo said “Ruby, he needs to be punished”

“It’ll devastate Mum. Angelo, she’s been through enough hurt. Brax is her chance to be happy. Please, let her have that”

“No. Ruby you can’t seriously want Charlie to be with him. He’s a drug dealer”

“Okay, look. I’ll turn myself in” Brax said “But Angelo, mate, please. You have to let me deal with Hammer first. If I don’t then Charlie, Ruby, the baby, everyone…..they could be in danger if I go to jail now. Please let me do this then I promise I’ll turn myself in”

“What” Ruby raised her voice this time “Brax you can’t. Mum loves you and…”

“Ruby, no” Brax said “Angelo’s right. I need to pay for what I’ve been doing. But you need to let me do this deal with Hammer first”

“Okay” Angelo nodded. He wasn’t sure if he was being gullible in believing Brax, but it was a chance he was going to have to take. He didn’t have proof that he’d done anything, and if Brax was right and Charlie, Ruby and the baby could be in danger it wasn’t a risk he was willing to take. “So, how long do you need?”

“A few weeks” Brax said “Just….give me a few weeks”

“You’ve got two” Angelo said “If you’ve not handed yourself in by then, I will” Angelo said and Brax nodded.

“Thanks mate”

“I’m not you’re mate” Angelo shook his head “Let’s just make that clear right now” Angelo said before the room opened and Charlie made an appearance in the corridor.

“Hey, I thought I heard voices, what are you all doing standing out here?” Charlie yawned. She’d just woken up, but she was still feeling a little sleepy.

“We just left you to get some rest” Brax smiled. Charlie looked to Brax quickly before she looked up at Angelo.

“We need to talk about names” Charlie said and Angelo nodded before he walked into the room, talking a seat on the chair next to the bed. Charlie looked to Brax once more before she turned and walked back into her room and sat up on the bed. She looked at Angelo and watched as he looked down into the cot, smiling lovingly at his new-born. Although the baby had been born 4 weeks early, apart from a little jaundice, he was perfectly healthy. “So, I’ve been looking at this book” Charlie said as she handed the book to Angelo.

“Yeah” Angelo said “And did anything jump out at you?”

“A few” Charlie smiled lightly.

“Yeah and what were they?” Angelo asked.

“Connor, Oliver or Jacob” Charlie said and Angelo smiled lightly.

“They’re all lovely names” Angelo smiled “What do you think bubba?” Angelo cooed as he looked down to the baby once more. “Are we an Oliver, Jacob or Connor?” The baby lay there, sound asleep as Angelo loving looked at him. “Hey, baby if you don’t know Daddy doesn’t either”

“Well what do you think?” Charlie questioned.

“I love Connor and Jacob, but not Oliver, I mean it's nice, but wouldn't be my first choice” Angelo answered as he looked back up at Charlie.

“Okay, so that narrows it down a bit” Charlie said “If you had to pick just one, what one would you say?”

“I don’t know” Angelo shook his head. “They’re both great Charlie”

“Okay, well I think I like Jacob best, so…..” Charlie trailed off as she looked down at her baby in the cot. “Is he a Jacob?”

Angelo looked down once again to his baby and gently nodded his head. “You know what, I think he is”

Brax sighed as he took a drink of the coffee. “I think she’s upset with me” Brax said as he sat back in the chair. Ruby and Brax had gone to the canteen to get a coffee, letting Charlie and Angelo talk about names for the baby.

“Why, it’s not like you’ve done anything bad” Ruby said “That she knows of at least”

“Maybe she heard our conversation” Brax said, feeling worried.

“Nah I don’t think so” Ruby shook her head “I mean, yeah, you could hear voices but only that. I couldn’t make out what you were saying. And Mum was asleep when I left the room, so she’d have only just woken up before she came to the door”

“Okay” Brax said “Well I still think she mad at me. She’s hardly said one word to me since the baby was born”

“Well you can only go and talk to her” Ruby said “But she has just had a baby. Maybe it’s just like hormones or something” Ruby laughed.

“Maybe” Brax exhaled. “When am I going to get a chance to talk to her though? It’s like Angelo is always around, which is fine, he is the father, but then you’re here, and Bianca is coming later, and then Leah and Miles…..I want to see her too you know”

“Brax, stop being silly” Ruby retorted “You’re her boyfriend, of course she’s going to want to see you”

“Okay, I’m going to go” Brax said “You alright here?”

“Yeah, I’ll be fine” Ruby said and Brax smiled lightly before he left the canteen and walked back along to Charlie’s room. He knocked on the door quietly, before he walked in to see Charlie with her son in her arms, and Angelo sitting close, the two appearing in deep conversation.

“Hi, I hope I’m not interrupting” Brax said.

“Well actually -” Angelo started to speak, but was cutting off by Charlie.

“Can you let us talk?” Charlie asked and Angelo sighed lightly before he got up and left the room.

“’How’s the little one doing?” Brax smiled as he took a seat next to Charlie and looked down him. Jacob’s big blue eyes were scanning the entire room. Brax gave the baby as smile as he watched him.

“He’s good” Charlie smiled as she looked down at her son.

“Can you believe he’s here already” Brax said “Seems like yesterday I found out you were pregnant and though he was mines” Brax said and Charlie nodded.

“I know, it’s flown by” Charlie said. “I can’t believe he’s here” Charlie said as she kept her focus on her baby, who was beginning to fall asleep in her arms.

“So, Charlie…I…..is everything okay with us?” Brax asked.

“We’re fine” Charlie said.

“Because I can kinda sense you’re mad at me” Brax said and Charlie sighed lightly.

“I needed you” Charlie said “I needed you and you weren’t there for me”

Brax exhaled lightly, knowing just what Charlie was talking about. “I’m sorry, but I just….I had to leave, Charlie, Angelo wasn’t happy with me being in the room and -”

“It shouldn’t have mattered what Angelo wanted” Charlie said “I needed you. I told you I wanted you here. I needed you to tell me I was doing okay and to hold my hand and rub my forehead. I needed you Brax” Charlie said as a tear rolled down her cheek.

“Hey, hey, baby don’t cry” Brax said he leaned forward and cupped his hand around the back of Charlie’s head. “I just….I wanted to do what was right and Angelo should have been in here”

“I’m not saying Angelo shouldn’t have been in here” Charlie shook her head as she sniffed back another tear. “I just wish you stayed too”

“I’m sorry” Brax said “But hey, I’m gonna be here for you now. Okay, me, you and this little one” Brax smiled as he once again looked down to Jacob.

“Do you want to hold him?” Charlie questioned and Brax nodded lightly.

“I do, but I don’t want to wake him up. He looks comfy”

“He’ll be fine” Charlie said and Brax smiled before he nodded once more.

“Okay” Brax said before Charlie gently passed Jacob to him. “So, does he have a name yet?” Brax asked as he looked down at Jacob, who didn’t even seem to notice that he’d been moved.

“Jacob” Charlie smiled.

“Hey, Jacob” Brax smiled. “I’m Brax. The big oaf that’s been talking to you via your Mummy’s tummy for the last 7 months. Nice to meet you eventually. We’re gonna get on good” Brax smiled “You know I’m not your Daddy but you can count on me to be here for you no matter what” Brax said before he looked up to Charlie who was smiling at him. “I really mean that you know” Brax said and Charlie nodded.

“I know” Charlie smiled “I love you Brax”

“I love you too” Brax said as he leaned forward and placed a soft kiss on Charlie’s forehead.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you Arielxo, Sarah, RR1, cb2180, Aden_Belle, once_upon_a_mind and pembie for the comments. :wub: I hope you like this next one.

Chapter 42

Charlie was sitting in the room, looking down at her son, who was sleeping soundly in his cot. Brax and Ruby had gone home, but they promised that they’d be back again later that night, and Angelo had gone to get something to eat. Angelo wanted to be close to the baby for the first few days, so he and Nicole had decided that he would spend a few days in the bay, staying at the Sands. Although he would miss Nicole and George, he felt it was an important time to bond with his child, and could do without the 3 hour round trip travel time every day. “Knock knock” Came the voice from the door. Charlie looked up to find Bianca standing there.

“Hey” Charlie smiled as her friend walked into the room and over to Charlie, where she gave her a hug.

“How’s the new mummy” Bianca asked as she looked down into the cot and looked at Jacob.

“Not bad. A little tired but I guess that’s expected” Charlie laughed.

“Yeah” Bianca agreed. “Aww he just so precious” Bianca beamed as she lightly rubbed Jacob’s cheek. “You know I can’t tell if he looks like you or Angelo. He seems to be a perfect mix of you both right now”

“Yeah” Charlie agreed “I think he resembles Ruby a bit though. He’s got that same cute little button nose than her and the same big expressive eyes”

“Well if he looks like his mummy or sister he’s going to be nothing but cute, aren’t you baby” Bianca cooed as she once again gently rubbed his cheek.

“You know you can hold him” Charlie said and Bianca smiled before she looked back down at Jacob.

“I don’t want to wake him” Bianca said.

“Just be gentle. It’s fine” Charlie said and Bianca smiled once more before she gently lifted him into her arms.

“So does little one have a name?” Bianca asked.

“Jacob” Charlie said.

“Aww it’s lovely” Bianca smiled. “And what about the surname?”

“We still haven’t agreed on that” Charlie sighed “We both really just won’t budge. I want Buckton he wants Rosetta”

“Okay” Bianca said “Now, call me crazy, but, can’t you call him Buckton-Rosetta? That way you’re both getting what you want” Bianca suggested.

“You know that’s a pretty good idea” Charlie smiled “But knowing Angelo he’ll go for Rosetta-Buckton”

“Well either way you’re both getting your name in there” Bianca said “I just think there’s more important things to think about now than what Jacob’s surname is. Like Jacob himself. You don’t care what your name is do you baby?” Bianca cooed as he looked down to the baby who was happily sleeping in her arms. “You just want to be looked after good, don’t you?”

“Oh God, you’re right. His name doesn’t matter. All that does is that Angelo and I are the best parents we can be to him”

“Exactly” Bianca grinned “Oh Charlie are you sure that you want this baby? He’s so precious, I’ll take him off your hands if you want” Bianca said and Charlie laughed lightly.

“Nah, I’m pretty sure I want him” Charlie said “But, I do need a Godmother, if you’re interested?”

“Oh. My. God. Are you serious? Me?” Bianca asked as she had the biggest grin ever on her face.

“Well I could always ask Leah; I mean I can see you don’t like the idea so -”

“No no don’t ask Leah. Screw her, this gig is mine” Bianca said excitedly.

“Really?” Charlie teased “You don’t seem that interest”

“Haha” Bianca said “Hey Jacob, I’m your Godmother. I am” Bianca cooed. “I’m going to take you out for ice-cream and buy you that cool toy that Mummy and Daddy said you couldn’t have but we won’t tell Mummy that one will we” Bianca whispered and Charlie laughed lightly as she watched Bianca interact with the baby. “Angelo is okay with this though, right? Because I don’t want to cause anything with you two”

“Yeah” Charlie nodded “We discussed it”

“Great because I didn’t really mean that” Bianca said “There’s was no way you were taking my God baby away from me now”

Charlie laughed once more as she looked down and her baby. “He looks so peaceful” Charlie said.

“That’s because he’s with his Godmother” Bianca cooed. “Aww he’s so adorable. Even with his little sticky up hair. It’s super cute. You sure you want him?”

“I’m pretty sure” Charlie laughed. “In fact I think I’ll take him now just in case you forget to give me him back” Bianca laughed before she placed a soft kiss on Jacob’s forehead, before she gave him over to Charlie.

“Ah you make one little joke….or two….about stealing a baby then you don’t get to hold him” Bianca teased.

“I just gotta feed him. Then you can have him back” Charlie said and Bianca smiled.

“Do you want me to leave if you’re....” Bianca said as she trailed off.

Charlie shrugged her shoulders. “I don’t mind. If you’re going to feel uncomfortable sitting there then you can go”

“Hmm just natural isn’t it. So if you don’t mind me being here” Bianca said but Charlie had already began to feed him. “I guess not” Bianca laughed. “So any improvement on the Angelo and Brax relationship?”

“Nope” Charlie shook her head “If anything it’s just getting worse. You know Angelo threw a fit about Brax being in the room when Jacob was born, so Brax left”

“So he wasn’t there for you?” Bianca asked and Charlie shook her head.

“It was just Angelo” Charlie answered “Brax and Ruby waited outside”

“Ruby too?” Bianca asked “I thought you’d have wanted her in here”

“Angelo didn’t” Charlie sighed “I don’t think he realised I was the one who was pushing him out my....” Charlie trailed off. “But he’s here now so I guess there’s no point in getting mad about it, but I do wish that Brax made more of a fight to be here. He knew what it meant for me to have him here”

“What’s Angelo saying about it?” Bianca questioned.

“He doesn’t think he did anything wrong and that it should just be the father in the room with the mother” Charlie exhaled lightly as she shook her head. “Anyways, enough about that....did anything happen with you and Heath last night?”

“Oh just come right out and ask” Bianca laughed lightly.

“Well if you don’t ask you don’t know” Charlie said. “C’mon, or I’m going to take your silence as a ‘yes Charlie, something did happen’”

Bianca sighed lightly. “Okay, so maybe we kissed a bit” Bianca said with a smile forming on her face.

“You like him don’t you?” Charlie asked and Bianca nodded, feeling herself going a little red.

“Yeah, I do” Bianca answered “And eh...we kinda have a date on Sunday”

“Ahh” Charlie said “Finally”

“What do you mean, finally?” Bianca asked.

“Because for months now you two have done nothing but flirt, so it’s just good you’re finally going to go out”

“Well we’ll see how Sunday goes” Bianca said before she smiled once more.

Brax and Ruby were in the house getting something to eat before they went back to the hospital. They were sitting at the dinner table, eating their meal in silence. Since Ruby had found out about what Brax had been doing, despite sticking up for him and deciding to cover for him, she’d hardly spoken to him, mostly to show her disgust in what he’d been doing. “So, is it going to be like this forever now?” Brax asked before he took a drink of his beer.

“Like what?” Ruby asked as she kept her gaze away from Brax.

“You not talking to me” Brax said.

“Well there’s not really any point in asking me that if you are going to hand yourself in. I won’t can talk to you when you in jail” Ruby said angrily before she took a drink of her water.

“Rubes, it’s the right thing to do” Brax argued as he played with the food on his plate, rather than eating it.

“For who?” Ruby questioned “Mum’s going to be crushed. She really loves you, Brax, and you know how big a deal it is for Mum to let herself fall in love and fully trust a guy. She’s only done that twice in her life as far as I am aware and the first guy she did that with hurt her so much and now, you’re going to do the same”

“Rubes, I admire you for wanting you’re Mum to be happy and to not get hurt, but you.....she’s got Jacob to concentrate on now, so maybe me going away won’t hurt her as much as you think”

Ruby laughed at Brax’s comment. “She’s going to be devastated” Ruby said “Not only because she’s lost someone who she loves so much, but because she was stupid enough to let herself fall for you in the first place. She’s going to blame herself you know, and say that she should have known about this, that she should have worked it out”

“Ruby I -”

“No” Ruby yelled over Brax “You made a commitment to her. You’ve moved in, you’ve made promises to her that you’re now going to have to keep. Brax, please rethink this”

“I can’t” Brax shook his head. “I need to do what’s right”

“Then stay and be a family with Mum, and Jacob....and well....me” Ruby said sadly. “I really like you and.....just because I’m 18 now doesn’t mean I don’t need a father. Brax, I need you too” Ruby eyes were becoming red and puffy, like she was going to cry.

“Ruby, I’ll always be here for you and Jacob but -”

“But you won’t” Ruby shouted “Not if you go to jail”

“Well I’ll get out” Brax said “Maybe then me and you’re Mum can -”

“No” Ruby shouted, cutting Brax off. “If you go away for this then you’ve lost Charlie for good. She’ll never forgive you Brax. Maybe you ought to think about that before you do anything stupid” Ruby said before she got up from the table and started to walk away.

“Finish your dinner” Brax said.

“I’m not hungry” Ruby spat before she walked into her bedroom, slamming the door shut behind her. Brax sighed lightly before he took a long drink of his beer. He knew he had to go to jail and pay for what he done, but at the same time, he didn’t want to lose his family. Charlie, Jacob and Ruby meant the world to him, and he knew he’d hate to lose them. Sighing lightly he took another drink of his beer as he rethought what he was going to do.

Thanks everyone :D I hope you like this next one.

Chatper 43

It had now been 3 days since Jacob’s birth and Charlie and Jacob were now allowed to go home. Angelo had agreed to pick them up and take them home, while, Ruby and Brax had stayed to make sure they house was ready for them coming home. “Angelo” Charlie asked “I’ve been meaning to ask you, we still haven’t agreed on this one’s surname yet”

Angelo sighed lightly as he strapped Jacob into the car seat. “Look Charlie, I think we should just call him Buckton. I mean it’s seems really important to you that he has your name”

“Yeah?” Charlie questioned feeling slightly surprised at Angelo’s answer. “Because I was about to suggest that we call him Buckton-Rosetta. That way, we’re both getting what we want”

“Jacob Buckton-Rosetta” Angelo smiled as he looked down at his baby. “I think that’s perfect”

“Good, now that’s sorted” Charlie said “Let’s get this little one home” Angelo smiled as he picked up the car seat, and the two of them walked out of the hospital and over to Angelo’s car. He strapped the car seat in, before he got into the car and drove Charlie and Jacob to Charlie’s house. Lifting the car seat out of the car, Charlie made her way up to the house, with Angelo following after them.

“Hey” Ruby smiled as Charlie walked through the door. She walked forward gave her Mother a hug before she looked down at Jacob, who was asleep in his car seat. She took the car seat from her Mother and placed it down on the coffee table, before she lifted her baby brother out and held him in her arms.

“Hey Jakey wakey” Ruby cooed as she gently rocked him in her arms. “You want to come and see your bedroom” Ruby said as she continued to smile at her brother. “You’ll have to wake up though, yes you will. Hey, can I take him to Xavier’s?” Ruby asked as she looked up at her mother.

“No” Angelo shook his head “Don’t be so ridiculous”

“It’s just next door” Ruby sighed.

“Maybe later yeah” Charlie said “You can take him to his bedroom though” Charlie said and Ruby smiled before she walked out of the room and along to the baby’s room. Charlie looked up to Brax and smiled lightly as she walked over to him and stepped into a hug. Brax placed a soft kiss on top of Charlie’s head.

“Welcome home baby” Brax said as Charlie pulled back and looked up at him.

“I’m surprised this place is as clean” Charlie laughed as she looked around the spotless house.

“That was Ruby’s doing” Brax said.

“Oh I know it would have been” Charlie laughed as Ruby walked back into the room.

“Where’s Jacob?” Angelo asked.

“In his room” Ruby said as she pulled a face.

“You left him on his own?” Angelo questioned.

“Well yeah” Ruby said “He’s asleep”

“Ruby he’s only a few days old” Angelo sighed before he left the room to check on the baby.

“What the....” Ruby trailed off “Shouldn’t I have left him on his own?”

“You’re fine” Charlie exhaled as she walked over to Ruby pulling her into a hug. “Angelo’s just being.....protective, I guess”

“More like a pain in the -”

“Ruby” Charlie said cutting her off.

“Sorry but you know it’s true. How long is he going to be here for?” Ruby asked.

“I don’t know” Charlie shook her head “A few days more, I think” Charlie said. Angelo had asked if he could stay at Charlie’s place to be with the baby for a few more days before he went home. Although she was hesitant at first, she knew it was important for Angelo to bond with the baby, so she agreed to it. Although Brax wasn’t to please with the fact that Angelo was going to be staying in the house, he also knew it was important for him to bond with his baby.

“So I know you’ve just got home, but do you mind if I nip out for a bit?” Brax asked as he looked to Charlie.

“What do you need to do?” Charlie asked.

“I need to go to the restaurant, check on some deliveries, I won’t be long I promise” Brax said and Charlie nodded lightly.

“Sure, it’s fine” Charlie said and Brax smiled lightly before he left the house. Angelo, now convinced that the baby was perfectly safe sleeping in his bedroom, had left the nursery, but instead of going back into the living room, he walked along the hall and went into Charlie and Brax’s bedroom, in hope that he’d be able to find some sort of evidence to link Brax to the drug crop, but after a few minutes of looking, he thought that Brax wouldn’t be stupid enough to hid stuff in the bedroom he shared with Charlie. It would be too easy for Charlie find. Sighing lightly he left the room and went back into the living room.

Brax drove up to the house and knocked on the door. “Brax” Heath said sounding surprised. “I didn’t think I’d see you for a while. Thought you be too busy changing nappies” Heath laughed.

“You’re a funny man Heath” Brax said before he pushed him back and stepped into the house. “We need to get this stuff sorted with Hammer”

“Well he doesn’t want to meet for another week” Heath said “So there’s no rush”

“I want you to bring it forward” Brax said.

“Yeah because I can make Hammer change his mind” Heath laughed.

“Look mate, I can’t deal with this anymore” Brax shook his head “I mean you got me into this mess with your stupid deals with Hammer, maybe I’ll just leave you to do it on your own. But I don’t know if I can trust you to do it right”

“It’s meeting and handing over drugs” Heath yelled “It’s not rocket science”

“Look, after this, I going to hand myself in. You’ve got Darcy to concentrate on and Casey has got school. So I’m not going to bring you two into it. I’m going to take all the wrap myself”

“What” heath yelled “Have you gone crazy in your old age?”

“Heath don’t” Brax shook his head.

“No, I mean you say I have Darcy but you have Charlie and Jacob and Ruby. Brax you can’t go down for this, okay, you can’t, you’ve got a family now. Okay, so I’ll agree we can go legit, but we’ll do this then that’s all. Brax don’t throw away everything you have because of this. Think about Charlie. She’ll be devastated if she loses you”

“Look at you caring about Charlie all of a sudden” Brax said.

“Well you know, she’s.....she nice” Heath sighed “And you love her and she loves you”

“That’s why I need to do this. I need to do the right thing” Brax said “We do this deal with Hammer then I’m going to hand myself in”

“Okay, then I’m coming with you” Heath said “We’re brothers and we’re in this together”

“Yeah you were really with me when you started dealing with Hammer eh” Brax said angrily.

“Look mate, I’m sorry about that. But we can use it to our advantage” Heath said.

“What do you mean?” Brax asked.

“Well he trusts me now right, I mean he’s been doing deals with me for months” Heath said and Brax nodded. “Well then he’s not going to suspect any foul play, is he?”

“What are you planning?” Brax asked.

“You’ll see” Heath laughed before he walked over to the fridge and pulled out a couple of beers. “Let’s just say he’s not going to know what’s hit him”

Charlie and Ruby were sitting in the living room, Jacob lying happily in Charlie’s arms. Angelo was in the guest room, on the phone to Nicole and Brax still hadn’t returned home yet. “So Mum, there was something I wanted to talk to you about” Ruby said as she looked up at Charlie.

“Oh yeah, and what’s that?” Charlie asked.

“Well you know Xavier?” Ruby said nervously and Charlie nodded.

“Yeah” Charlie said.

“Well we’ve been hanging out a lot lately and well we’ve kinda decided to give things another go” Ruby spoke slowly as she looked away from Charlie.

“Finally, you tell me” Charlie said.

“What?” Ruby questioned.

“Well I kinda thought something was going on lately with you two. I mean you’re always hanging out now, and you wanted to take Jacob around there this morning...”

“So, you’re not mad?” Ruby asked.

“No, of course not, why would I be mad?” Charlie asked.

“I dunno....I just” Ruby sighed “Xav and I have tried a few times and its not worked out so I dunno, maybe you just...” Ruby trailed off “I dunno really”

“Okay, so you’ve tried a few times but maybe it’ll work out this time. Just don’t fall for anyone else” Charlie said.

“Oi” Ruby said as she lightly hit Charlie’s arm.

“Well he’s a nice guy, I just don’t want him getting hurt again” Charlie said and Ruby exhaled lightly.

“I know, and I really don’t think he will be. I know we’ve only been back together for like 10 days but I dunno it’s different this time. I really like him”

“Well good” Charlie smiled “Just you promise me you’ll always be careful, yeah?” Charlie said and Ruby nodded feeling slightly embarrassed.

“You know if you and Angelo were careful you wouldn’t have got Jacob” Ruby said as she looked down at her baby brother who was sleeping soundly. “Look how cute he looks. Even with his sticky up hair” Ruby laughed lightly.

“I know, but Rubes, you have to be careful okay” Charlie said.

“I know” Ruby sighed “And we will be. I’m going to go round and see him actually. See ya later” Ruby said before she left the house. Charlie sighed lightly as she looked down to her son, who was beginning to wake up.

“Hey sweet pea” Charlie smiled. “Someone getting hungry?” Charlie asked just as Jacob began to cry. “Hey hey shh” Charlie said as she gently rocked him till he stopped crying. “Shh, we’ll get you fed hmm” Charlie said as she began to feed her son.

Thanks everyone. :) So I don't know anything about the AFL so just go with it :P

Chapter 44

Charlie was in the nursery changing the baby’s nappy when Brax returned home. “Hey baby” Brax smiled as he walked up behind Charlie and wrapped his arms around her waist.

“Hey” Charlie smiled as she reached for a baby wipe.

“Where’s Rubes?” Brax asked.

“She’s at Xavier’s” Charlie replied as she reached for a clean nappy.

“She’s been spending a lot of time with him lately” Brax said.

“Yeah, they’re eh....they’re back on” Charlie said.

“Oh” Brax said “Casey’s going to be crushed. He still really likes her. Loves her probably”

“Yeah we’ll he hurt her so” Charlie said as she buttoned up the buttons on Jacob’s baby grow.

“You know he didn’t mean too. And that he was only sticking up for you” Brax said.

“I know that and you know Ruby does too, but Brax, that’s not the point. He broke her trust and that’s just not forgivable”

“What so you have trust issues so she does too? You know that’s not the way to teach her, Charlie” Brax said somewhat angrily.

“Excuse me?” Charlie said as she looked up Brax, shocked at what he’d said.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean that” Brax shook his head “I’m just stressed out with work and.....” Brax trailed off.

“Just leave it” Charlie said as she picked her son up and started to walk out of the room.

“Charlie” Brax said as he took hold of her arm.

“I said leave it” Charlie sighed as she walked out of the room, and into the living room, where Angelo was sitting watching the TV.

“Hey, how’s my little man?” Angelo asked as he gestured for Charlie to pass the baby over to him.

“Good. He’s been fed and changed so he should be settled” Charlie said “So I’m going to go for a bath while I’ve got the chance but if you need me just give me a shout”

“Yeah go on. Take your time. We’ll be fine, won’t we baby” Angelo cooed as he looked down at his son. Charlie smiled before she walked to the bathroom and began to run herself a bath. There was a slightly knock at the door, and Charlie turned around to see a sorry looking Brax standing there.

“Room in there for one more?” Brax grinned as he took a few steps forward.

Charlie laughed “I don’t think so”

“Charlie, I’m sorry about what I said” Brax said.

“It’s fine. Besides you only said the truth” Charlie said coldly. “So I have trust issues, nothing new is it?”

“Charlie, I -” Brax started to talk, but was cut off by Charlie.

“But you do know that I trust you, right?” Charlie said. Brax smiled lightly as he walked forward and wrapped his arms around her waist.

“I know you do” Brax smiled as he pulled Charlie into a hug. He placed a kiss on her head as she held tightly onto him. Sighing lightly he knew that he about to hurt her more than she ever been hurt before. “Hey, you know how much I love you, right?” Brax asked and Charlie nodded as she pulled back and looked into his eyes. “You know, no matter what happens, I’ll always love you”

“I know. I love you too” Charlie smiled.

“So does this mean....” Brax smiled as he looked down to the bath that was filling with water.

Charlie laughed lightly. “You’re still not sharing the bath with me” Charlie said as she lightly pushed him back. Brax laughed lightly before he left the room, leaving Charlie in peace. He sighed lightly as he walked into the living room, and took a seat on the couch, next to Angelo.

“Alright” Brax said as he looked around at the other man. Angelo looked to Brax briefly before he looked back around at the TV. “Ah the footy is on”

“Yeah Geelong Cats against Sydney Swans” Angelo said as he kept his gaze on the TV. “Swans are going to win”

“Are you serious?” Brax laughed “Cats will win”

“Nah not this time” Angelo shook his head. “Jacob mate, don’t you listen to this man okay, he’s crazy. Swans are going to win, you’ll see”

“Jacob if you’ve any sense you’ll listen to me and not Daddy. Cats are so going to win” Jacob sat in Angelo’s arms staring up at the two men as they looked down on him, his big blue eyes scanning the room.

“Well we’ll just have to wait and see won’t we” Angelo said as Jacob started too wimper in Angelo’s arms. “Shhh shhh. It’s okay baby” Angelo said as he tried to calm him, but he was unsuccessful and Jacob had now burst out into a full cry. Angelo stood up and started pacing the room gently rocking his baby. “Shhh” Angelo said but he wasn’t calming the baby down.

“You want me to give it a try?” Brax said as he went to stand up but Angelo quickly stopped him.

“No. I don’t” Angelo said and Brax sighed lightly before he continued to watch the footie.

“Shh” Angelo said once more but the baby continued to scream.

“Hey” Ruby said as she walked into the house with Xavier following here. “Aww Jakey wakey what’s all this crying for?” Ruby asked as he walked over to Angelo.

“He’s fine, I’ve got it sorted” Angelo said.

“Looks like it” Ruby rolled her eyes. “Give him here” Ruby said.

“I said I’ve got it Ruby” Angelo shouted as he rocked the baby in his arms, but Jacob was still crying loudly. After a few more minutes of unsuccessfully getting Jacob to stop crying, Charlie walked down the hall and into the living room.

“What the hell are you doing to that baby?” Charlie asked as she took him into her arms are rocked him gently. “Shh baby” Charlie said softly as she gently rocked him. Jacob’s cries soon stopped and he was lying peacefully in his Mother’s arms.

“I’ve been trying for ages to get him stop crying and you take him for a second and he stops” Angelo said sadly.

“Don’t take it personally, Angelo” Charlie said “He’s a new-born” Angelo shook his head lightly before he sat back down on the couch.

“Look at that” Brax laughed “Cats are winning”

“Of course the Cats are winning” Xavier said “They’ll beat the Swans”

“Ha” Brax said as he looked at Angelo.

“It’s still early in the game yet” Angelo said.

“Yeah but on average the Cats beat the Swans right?” Ruby and Brax nodded.

“Yup that’s right” Brax said.

“Oh Jacob I don’t know what they’re talking about” Charlie said “C’mon you come with Mummy” Charlie said as she left the room and went in the nursery and sat down on the rocking chair. “You know baby Mummy can’t even have 5 minutes in the bath without having to get out to help those silly men. But if they’re going to bond over a silly came of football then that’s fine by me”

“Hey Mum” Ruby said as she walked into the room, and watched Charlie and she lightly rocked in the Charlie with Jacob lying happily in her arms. “I brought Xavier round to see Jakey wakey”

“Hey Xav” Charlie smiled as she looked over to him.

“Alright” Xavier smiled as he walked further into the nursery and over to Charlie. “He’s cute” Xavier smiled as he looked down at Jacob who sleeping his mother’s arms. “He’s smaller than I thought he be” Xavier laughed lightly.

“Well he was early, so that’s probably why” Charlie answered and Xavier nodded.

“So what happened with those two” Ruby said as she pointed out of the room. “I mean they’re actually sitting watching a footie game together”

“If they’re getting along I don’t care what it is they’re doing” Charlie said and Ruby laughed lightly.

“Well I think they’re a far way off getting along” Ruby said and Charlie agreed. “Anyways, were going to go watched a DVD” Ruby said as she pulled on Xavier’s hand and they made their way out of the room.

“Eh Ruby” Charlie said and Ruby knew right away what Charlie was about to say.

“Angelo and Brax are watching the footie in the living room so we have to go in my room” Ruby sighed. “You know you can trust us” Ruby said “We’re 18, we’re not little kids and we are only going to be watching a DVD”

“Sure, I’m sorry you right” Charlie said “Go on. Oh and Xavier....enjoy Matthew McConaughey” Ruby laughed lightly as she saw the look of confusion on his face before they walked along the hall and into Ruby’s bedroom.

Later that night, Xavier had gone home, and Charlie was sleeping, getting some rest before Jacob’s next feed. Ruby and Brax were sitting in the living room and Angelo had gone into the nursery to check on Jacob. “So” Brax said quietly as he looked around to Ruby. “Heath said Hammer doesn’t want to meet until next week. Which does mean that the dope is going to be a bit longer” Brax said before he looked up in the direction of the hallway, making sure Angelo wasn’t coming back into the living room, but little did he know, that Angelo was standing in the hallway, listening to every word he was saying, the smug grin on his face getting bigger.

“Brax” Ruby sighed lightly “Case said as couple of days. It’s already been here longer than that”

“I know, and I’m sorry. If it’s going to make you feel any better I can store it somewhere else”

“No it’s fine I guess” Ruby exhaled “I think I’d rather know where it is than not right now”

“Okay and I promise you, it’s only one more week” Brax said and Ruby nodded lightly. “And Ruby, I’m so sorry that you got caught up in all this. I really wish things were different”

“Are you sorry I got caught up in this or sorry I found out? Cos you know, there is a difference”

Brax exhaled as he rubbed his forehead. “Honestly, I’m sorry you found out”

“Thought so” Ruby said “But now I have and there is a big bag of drugs in my wardrobe and you’re terrified for Angelo staying here because you’re scared he’s going to find them” Ruby said as Angelo stood as quietly as he could, somewhat in shock. He’d known that Ruby had known about it, but the fact that she was hiding stuff for him really surprised him. Very carefully, so he wasn’t heard Angelo stepped back down the hallway and into Ruby’s bedroom, heading straight for her wardrobe. Opening the door slowly, he looked down to find the bag that Ruby was talking about. Lifting it out of the wardrobe he opened it up and was shocked to see the amount of dope that had been pushed into the bag. He sighed lightly before he zipped the bag back up and put it back in its place. Reaching into his pocket he pulled out his mobile phone and began to insert a phone number. If Brax was right and this Hammer was as bad as he said and his baby had a chance at being in danger, that wasn’t a risk Angelo was willing to take. As he hit the last number into the phone, he took a deep breath before he hit the dial button.

Thanks RR1, Sarah, Soph1303 and once_upon_a_mind for commenting. Always nice to read. :D So, I'm not so sure about this, I hope you like it. :unsure:

Chapter 45

Charlie was in the nursery, changing Jacob’s nappy when the doorbell went. Angelo, who was sitting at the table eating his breakfast, felt his heart skip a beat. He’d already regretted making the phone call, knowing how much he was possibly about to hurt Charlie, but if his son was in danger, it wasn’t a risk that Angelo was willing to take. He just wanted him to be safe. He exhaled lightly as he got up from the table and walked over to the door before opening it. “I’m Jane Carlin from the department of social services” The lady stared.

“Hey, Angelo, who’s at the door” Charlie asked as she walked into the room, cradling Jacob in her arms.

“I’m Jane Carlin” The lady said once again “I’m from the department of social services”

“Social services?” Charlie questioned as she felt herself tightening the grip on her son. “What are you doing here?”

“We received a phone call yesterday claiming that there were drugs in this house and that the safety of a new-born could be in danger”

“Drugs?” Charlie said “I’m sorry I think there’s been some mistake. There’s no drugs here”

“Well we do have a search warrant, so we are able to check for ourselves” Jane said “Forgive me for not taking your word for it, Ms Buckton”

“Okay” Charlie said as she looked up at Angelo, who had gone very quiet. “Well yeah, come in, search away” Charlie said as she looked at the piece of paper that Jane was trying to hand her. Angelo stepped forward and took the sheet of paper from Jane before Jane and other man began to search the house for the drugs. Charlie walked over to the couch and took a seat as she shook her head, not understanding what was going on. “I don’t....is this really happening?” Charlie asked and Angelo exhaled lightly before he took a seat on the couch next to her. “I mean, who would do this? I’m a police sergeant for crying out loud, I wouldn’t.....and Ruby she a good kid, she wouldn’t go near drugs”

“So that leaves you with Brax” Angelo said, deciding it was time he told Charlie everything that was going on.

“No, he would. He’s a good guy” Charlie sighed.

“Charlie, he’s not” Angelo said “I’m sorry but.....for I don’t know how long, Brax has been harvesting and selling marijuana” Angelo said softly as he placed his hand on Charlie’s shoulder in a comforting manner.

“You won’t give up, will you” Charlie said “You just can’t stand that I moved on from you. That I’m more happy than I’ve ever been. You’ll pull anything to get me to end things with him”

“Believe me Charlie, I didn’t want this to happen” Angelo shook his head “But it’s the truth. Okay, the Braxton’s have this crop and they sell it. They planning one more deal and the drugs are being stored in this house right now” Angelo said and Charlie shook her head as a tear rolled down her cheek.

“No, it can’t be. I don’t believe it” Charlie said before Jane and the other man walked back into the room, holding a backpack.

“Have you seen this before Ms?” Jane asked and Charlie shook her head.

“I’ve never seen that before” Charlie answered.

“Well I’m afraid this bag is full of Marijuana” Jane said and Charlie tears became heavier and she now knew that Angelo was telling the truth.

“I eh...I don’t....” Charlie tried to talk, but stopped, unable to get a sentence together.

“What does this mean for Jacob?” Angelo asked “I clearly don’t think it’s safe for him to be here. I mean there’s drugs and a drug dealer in this house. And I’ve been told that Hammer, the guy who was supposed to be getting these drugs is a bad guy. I fear for the safety of my son if he was to continue living here” Angelo said.

“What” Charlie asked “Angelo you know I wouldn’t let anything happen to Jacob”

“While I can understand you’re point Ms, I do see that it is dangerous. There is a drug dealer living in this house and -”

“There won’t be for much longer, I can assure you of that” Charlie said as the tears rolled down her cheeks. “But please don’t take my baby. I haven’t done anything any wrong”

“Well we don’t know that for sure” Jane answered. “For all I know you could be lying right now. You could have known about it all this time, you could be in on it”

“I’m a police sergeant” Charlie cried “I’m not....I didn’t know anything about this. Please, don’t take my baby”

“I’m afraid it’s not as simple as that” Jane said “Our priority is to make sure that children are safe, and if we feel on any level that a child could be in danger, we will remove that child from the home”

“I’m the baby’s father” Angelo said “I live in the city with my fiancée and our son. I’m only here because I felt it was important time to bond with my child”

“Okay” Jane nodded “Well we will have to come and check out your place, but I think for the meantime at least, that it is in Jacob’s best interest for him to come and live with you”

“No” Charlie shouted as she looked down to her son, who was asleep in her arms “You’re not taking my baby from me. I haven’t done anything”

“Ms Buckton, I am sorry, but we feel that there is a danger with this baby staying in this home”

“Charlie, I’ll look after him. He’ll be safe with me and Nicole” Angelo said as he made to put his hand on her shoulder in comfort but Charlie backed away.

“You did this” Charlie cried “You called social services didn’t you?” Charlie said and Angelo nodded shamefully.

“I just wanted Jacob to be safe” Angelo said.

“But he needs me Angelo. Right now he needs me more than he needs you. How are you going to feed him? He’s so little and new and he’s my baby” Charlie said as she began to cry uncontrollably. “I hate you for this”

“I’m sorry” Angelo said.

“You’re not sorry” Charlie cried “If you were you wouldn’t have done this. Couldn’t you have just went to the police? Or came to me and told me?”

“I tried telling you Charlie but you wouldn’t listen. I had to do this”

“No” Charlie shook her head “No, you didn’t. You did not need to call social services” Charlie yelled.

“Ms Buckton, please, just let us take the baby” Jane said as she stepped forward tried to take Jacob from her, but Charlie refused as she stepped back. “Ms Buckton, you are making things worse for yourself” Jane said “I can understand that this must be a hard situation for you, but if you love your child and want what’s best for him, then you’ll hand him over to me”

Charlie looked down at her baby who was sound asleep in her arms. “I love you so much” Charlie cried “And I promise you this isn’t going to be forever” Charlie said as the tears continued to roll down her cheeks. “Mummy’s going to get you back, okay. Me, you and Rubes, we’ll be a family again soon” Charlie cried as she took a step forward. Placing a soft kiss on her baby’s forehead she took a deep breath before she handed him to Jane. Handing the baby over broke her heart, but she knew that she didn’t have a choice, she had to do it. Jane, the other man and the baby then left the house, leaving Angelo standing there looking at a broken, tearful Charlie.

“Charlie I -”

“Get out. Get your stuff and get out” Charlie screamed before she fell to the floor in flood of tears.

“I’m so sorry, Charlie. I didn’t think they’d take him today. I wasn’t sure if they’d take him at all, but I just -”

“I said get out” Charlie yelled as the tears continued to roll down her cheeks. Angelo sighed lightly before he went into the guestroom and packed his things away before walking back into the living room, and seeing Charlie, sitting on the floor, the tears streaming down her face. Sighing lightly Angelo walked up to the front door and left.

Wow, thank you so much sazzle, Cally, RR1, Shezza, Arielxo, Sarah, GeorgieNZ, Samantha28, soph1303, Deano, cb2180, once_upon_a_mind, Zoe and Angel90 for commeting. :wub: I hope you like this next one.

Chapter 46

Brax walked into the house from being out for a morning surf to find it unusually quiet. He rested his surfboard against the wall in the hall before he walked down the hall, and into the baby’s room, where he found Charlie sitting on the rocking chair, tears still flowing down her face, but Jacob was nowhere to be seen. “Hey, where’s the baby? And Angelo?” Brax asked. Charlie looked up at him as the tears continued to roll down her face.

“They’re gone” Charlie said monotonously.

“Gone where?” Brax asked “What do you mean?”

“Social services took Jacob and Angelo’s gone home” Again, Charlie continued to speak monotonously, not looking up at Brax.

“What?” Brax yelled “Social services....Charlie what....what?” Brax said.

“They found your drugs” Charlie said “They said Jacob was in danger so they took him”

“Oh my God, Charlie I am so sorry” Brax said “I didn’t want it to come to this”

“No I bet you didn’t. You didn’t want to get caught at all” Charlie said “But you know, you have been and now I’ve lost my baby and seen you for who you really are” Charlie cried.

“Charlie, I....” Brax started to talk but was cut off by Charlie.

“Just get out. Just get out now” Charlie shouted.

“Charlie, please” Brax said as he stepped forward “I love you so much and I -”

“No” Charlie shook her head “You don’t mean that. I don’t think you’ve meant anything you’ve said. Just get out”

Brax stood there broken hearted. He did love Charlie more than anything and was crushed that things were now over between the two of them. “Charlie, please just let me explain” Brax started.

“Explain what?” Charlie shouted “You’re a drug dealer Brax. I’ve lost my son because of you. I hate you” Charlie yelled “Just get out. We’re finished”

“Charlie, please, I love you so much. If you just let me explain things -”

“Aren’t you hearing me?” Charlie yelled “Get out. Get out. Get out” Charlie jumped up from the seat and started to push Brax away. “Go on, now” Charlie shouted as she started to hit Brax’s chest.

“Charlie” Brax said as he tried to stop her hitting him. “Charlie” Brax said again as he took a grip of her hands. Charlie pulled her hands away and she broke down into tears.

“I just want my son” Charlie cried as she fell into Brax, then tears rolling down her cheeks.

“I’ll leave Charlie. Okay, I’m going to go pack my things now and I’ll be gone. I’m so sorry for what I’ve done” Brax said.

“But it doesn’t bring Jacob back to me. I want Jacob” Charlie cried.

“Hey” Ruby said as she ran happily into the room, unaware of the drama that had just gone on. So I just got a letter from the university. I’ve been accepted” Ruby squealed as she jumped up and down but quickly stopped as she saw the look on both Charlie and Brax’s faces. “What’s wrong? What’s happened?”

“Rubes, you’re Mum, she knows about the drugs” Brax said “Social services they eh....they took Jacob away”

“What” Ruby yelled “But he’s....you’re not....I don’t understand, why have they taken Jacob?”

“They think it’s dangerous here for him” Charlie said as she wiped the tears from her face.

“What so now he going to live in a foster home or? Like what happens?” Ruby asked.

“Angelo. He’ll probably be with Angelo” Charlie said as another tear rolled down her cheek.

“I’m so sorry, Charlie” Brax said “I didn’t ever think it would come to this. I just -”

“I don’t care” Charlie said “I just want you to get out” Brax nodded lightly before he walked away from the room and went to pack his things. Charlie looked to Ruby before she once again broke down into tears. Ruby took a step forward and held her Mother as she cried.

Angelo walked into the house cradling the baby in his arms. “Hey, I’m home” Angelo shouted through the house.

“Oh my gosh, Angelo. I wasn’t expecting you for a few days yet what -” Nicole stopped mid-sentence as she saw the baby in his arms. “What’s....” Nicole trailed off as she pointed to Jacob.

“There’s been a bit of a situation” Angelo said “Social services got involved and Jacob has to come live with us”

“What?” Nicole said “Angelo what’s going on?”

“Like I said...” Angelo trailed off as he walked further into the house, and took a seat in the living room. “You know how I said Brax was dealing drugs?” Angelo asked and Nicole nodded. “Well there was all these drugs in the house and Brax said, Hammer the guy who’s getting them, he’s dangerous and Jacob could have been in danger. I just wanted my baby to be safe”

“So, you call social services?” Nicole asked and Angelo nodded. “Angelo how could you do that to Charlie?” Nicole questioned “She’ll be crushed”

“I know and I hate what I’ve done to her, but if my baby is going to be in danger then I’m going to do whatever I can to protect him” Angelo replied as he looked down at Jacob, who was beginning to wake in his arms.

“Angelo, he’s going to need Charlie” Nicole said “How are we supposed to feed him?”

“We’ve got formula” Angelo answered “Not every baby gets breastfed. I’m sure he’ll take to it just fine”

“Yeah okay, we’ll see” Nicole muttered before she looked down at Jacob who at that point had begun to cry.

“Shh baby shhh” Angelo said as he tried to soothe him he stood up from the couch as began to walk around the room, lightly rocking his baby.

“Give him here” Nicole said as she gestured for Angelo to pass Jacob to him. Angelo sighed lightly before passing him to Nicole. “Hey little one shhh” Nicole said as she gently rocked him. “Aww sweetie all this crying isn’t nice” Nicole said softly. “Maybe he needs changed” Nicole said as she made her way out of the living room and into George’s room and over to the changing table where she checked his nappy, but it was clean. “Okay, it’s not your nappy. Maybe he’s hungry” Nicole said as she handed him back to Angelo and went to make up a bottle of formula for him.

“C’mon baby” Angelo said “Shhh” Angelo said as he walked through to the kitchen, where Nicole was making up a bottle, before handing it to Angelo. “Here we go” Angelo said as he tried to put the bottle into Jacob’s mouth, but he wasn’t taking it, he just continued to scream. “C’mon little man” Angelo said as he once again tried to get him to take the bottle. “Nicole can you please try” Angelo said. “What can we do?”

“You should never have took him from his Mother in the first place” Nicole spat.

“Yeah well I did what I though was right” Angelo said as he continued to hold a screaming Jacob. “Please can you help? Maybe you could breastfeed him?”

“Don’t be so stupid” Nicole shouted “I can’t breastfeed him”

“Why, you used to breastfeed Georgie” Angelo argued.

“Yeah used to, Angelo” Nicole sighed “I’ve not breastfed him for months”

“So...?” Angelo said.

“Well a) I’ll be dried up now so won’t have any milk and b) He’s Charlie’s baby. I’m not going to breastfeed someone else’s baby” Nicole said feeling angry at Angelo for suggesting it.

“Well what am I supposed to do?” Angelo shouted, just as George also began crying.

“He’s you’re problem Angelo. I’ve got my own baby to worry about” Nicole said as she left to see to George.

“I can’t believe he did that” Ruby said. “You’d never put Jacob in danger” Charlie and Ruby had moved in the living room, and were still talking about what had happened with Angelo.

“I just.....maybe it is my fault. Maybe I should have known what Brax was like. I shouldn’t have asked him to move in so quickly, I.....” Charlie trailed off as a tear rolled down her cheek.

“No Mum, don’t” Ruby shook her head “You did nothing wrong. You met a guy and fell in love. That’s all. There’s nothing wrong with that”

“But he was a drug dealer” Charlie cried “Angelo warned me. He told me he was dodgy but I didn’t listen and now look what’s happened. I’ve lost my baby because of him”

“Well I don’t think that’s entirely true” Ruby said shyly.

“What?” Charlie questioned.

“Mum, I’m sorry, I’m so sorry, but it was me who brought the drugs into the house” Ruby said tentatively as she looked at her mother.

“You what?” Charlie asked.

“I’m sorry” Ruby said once more. “I just....Case asked for my help and I knew it was wrong but.....I just did it and it was me Mum, I brought the drugs into the house” Ruby said as the tears rolled down her cheeks.

“So let me get this straight” Charlie said as she looked at her daughter. “You brought drugs into his house. These drugs that are responsible for taking my baby away from me?” Charlie questioned and Ruby nodded her head as a tear rolled down her cheek. “You can get out as well then” Charlie spat as she looked to her daughter.

“What Mum, please just -”

“Just get out Ruby” Charlie yelled “I want you to leave, now” Ruby sat still for a moment before she got up from the couch and left the house listening to her Mother’s request.

Chapter 47

Charlie was woken early to the sound of the doorbell ringing. She walked down the hall and opened the door to find Angelo standing at the other side. “Angelo, where’s Jacob?” Charlie asked frantically, for she didn’t know for sure that he’d got to take the boy.

“He’s fine” Angelo smiled “He’s at home with Nic and Georgie”

“So what are you doing here? Why didn’t you bring him with you?” Charlie asked.

“I’m not allowed, Charlie. Until the court case I don’t think you’re allowed to see him”

“Court case?” Charlie questioned and Brax nodded.

“Yeah eh, you’ll probably get a letter from them but eh there’s going to be a court case to see who gets custody of him”

“Are you serious? I could lose him for good?” Charlie asked as a tear rolled down her cheek.

“I don’t think it’ll come to that” Angelo said “I think this is just a temporary thing until things can be assessed properly”

“So you don’t think if you get temporary custody you’re going to get full custody of him when the time comes?” Charlie asked.

“I don’t know Charlie” Angelo said as he shook his head. “All I want is for Jacob to be safe so if that means living with me, then so be it”

“He needs me, Angelo. He needs me in his life” Charlie said.

“Yeah and you might still get that, Charlie. We don’t know what’s going to happen” Angelo said.

“Who are we kidding” Charlie cried “You’ve got the whole perfect family thing going on. The fiancée, the house in the suburbs, your new restaurant is already doing great...what do I have? I’m all alone. I’m single. I don’t have what you’ve got. The family is going to win” Charlie said as a tear rolled down her cheek.

“Charlie” Angelo sighed as he took a step forward and tried to bring her into a hug, but Charlie pulled away.

“What did you even come here for?” Charlie asked as she looked up at Angelo.

“I eh...Jacob wouldn’t take the bottle. He’s not eaten much since we’ve had him” Angelo said “I thought maybe it was the formula he didn’t like so......”

“You want my milk” Charlie said and Angelo nodded lightly. “Why should I give it to you?” Charlie questioned “After what you did why....”

“Because Jacob needs it” Angelo answered “And I know that you don’t want him going hungry”

“So you’re going to use Jacob against me like that, great parenting” Charlie said. “But yeah, give me time to get it sorted”

“I was hoping to get right back to the city” Angelo answered “So the sooner you get started” Charlie laughed lightly before she went off to the nursery to express her milk.

Brax walked into the living room of the Braxton home and sat down on the couch. “Alright mate” Heath said as he looked over to him.

“Yeah I’m brilliant” Brax spat.

“Look mate what Angelo did wasn’t cool, but it’s happened now eh, no use crying about it”

“Shut up Heath” Brax said “Just shut up before I deck you”

Heath laughed lightly as he shook his head “So what we going to do with Hammer now?” Heath asked, changing the subject.

“I dunno eh” Brax said “It’s your problem not mines”

“C’mon mate, don’t leave me on my own here, he’ll kill me”

“It’s not my problem” Brax said “You made this stupid deal with him, you can fix it yourself”

“C’mon we’ve always helped each other out, eh” Heath said.

“Nah not this time” Brax shook his head. “I’m off” Brax said as he stood up from living room and started to make his way to the front door.

“What do you mean, off?” Heath questioned “Off where?”

“Where do you think?” Brax asked.

“Brax no” Heath shouted as he chased after his brother “You can’t. At least, not yet. You can’t until this stuff with Hammer is done”

“I told you I don’t care about Hammer” Brax yelled “Charlie has lost her kid because of me. Okay, she’s....I need to do this and I need to go now. Now you can either come with me, or you can do the sensible thing and stay and sort out this mess with Hammer” Brax said before he pushed Heath back and walked out of the house.

“Brax” Heath shouted as he ran out of the house and over to him. “I can’t do this alone. I need ya mate. I don’t know what to do. I need your help”

“I dunno what you’re going to do either Heath. We’ve got nothing to give him” Brax sighed.

“We could just call him and tell him we don’t have anything to give him so the deals off” Heath suggested.

“Yeah because Hammer really is going to go for that isn’t he?” Brax shouted.

“Well do you have a better idea?” Heath yelled “We can’t grow any more, it’ll take too long”

“Okay fine, go on phone him” Brax said. Heath sighed lightly before he lifted his phone out of his pocket, and dialled Hammer’s number.

“Here you go” Charlie said as she handed Angelo the bottles.

“What, that’s it?” Angelo asked “Charlie that’s not even going to last him one day”

“Well I’m not some machine that you can just continually pump milk out of till your heats content you know” Charlie shouted “That’s all I can get right now. You’re just going to have to keep trying with the formula. Or maybe it’s the teat on the bottle he doesn’t like. So make sure you try a few different ones”

“Okay” Angelo nodded “But you’ll keep expressing, right? I could maybe come back tomorrow and get some more” Angelo said and Charlie nodded lightly.

“Sure, not like I haven’t got anything better to do” Charlie sighed.

“Charlie, you know I am sorry” Angelo said apologetically. “I just wanted to do what was right”

“I know” Charlie said “But it still doesn’t excuse how I feel about what you did. Or how stupid I was to believe that Brax was a good guy”

“He had you fooled” Angelo said.

“I believed he loved me” Charlie said sadly.

“You know, I don’t doubt that he did” Angelo said “I just think he got in too far with this drug stuff”

“Yeah well doesn’t change the fact our whole relationship has been a lie” Charlie sighed before a tear rolled down her cheek. “Angelo, please you know me, you know I wouldn’t do anything to hurt Jacob, just please bring him back to me”

“You know I can’t do that” Angelo shook his head. “Where’s Ruby, maybe she can help cheer you up”

“Cheer me up?” Charlie laughed “What you think if I get cheered up I’ll forget I’ve lost my son?” Charlie spat.

“No of course not” Angelo said.

“Just go” Charlie said as more tears rolled down her cheek.

“I don’t want to leave you like this” Angelo said as he took a step forward and tried to comfort her back she took a step back. “Where’s Ruby? Angelo asked again.

“I chucked her out as well” Charlie answered “She was involved. She’s the one who brought the drugs into this house”

“Charlie” Angelo sighed “Don’t you think it would help if you had her around?”

“Why? She is responsible for Jacob being taken from me. I don’t want to be near her right now” Charlie said as another tear rolled down her cheek.

“Okay, so Ruby did a stupid thing, but Charlie, that girl, she a bright girl. She’s loving and kind and I think she was just trying to do what she thought was right” Angelo said “Ruby is going to feel bad enough about what happened. Don’t turn your back on her Charlie”

“Don’t tell me what to do” Charlie spat “Just go back to the city, Angelo. Jacob needs you” Angelo exhaled lightly before he left the house to go back home. Charlie collapsed onto the couch in floods of tears. She missed her baby so much and wanted nothing more than to hold him in her arms.

Ruby walked into the living room and took a seat on the couch next to Xavier. Xavier turned to look at her and he could tell from her tear stained face that she’d been crying. “Rubes” Xavier said softly. “Why don’t you go and talk to her”

“I can’t” Ruby shook her head “Jacob’s gone because of me. She won’t ever want to talk to me again”

“I’m sure that’s not true” Xavier said “You’re her daughter, Rubes. She just needs time to calm down”

“No. And you know I don’t blame her either. It was so stupid of me to agree to help Casey in the first place. This is all my fault and now Mum’s lost her baby and may never get him back” Ruby stopped talking as the tears started to roll down her cheeks.

“It’s not your fault” Xavier said “It’s the stupid Braxton brothers fault”

“No, it is” Ruby cried “I brought the drugs into the house. Xav, I’m my fault and she’s never going to forgive me” Ruby fell into Xavier’s arms in flood of tears.

“Look, just let the dust settle” Xavier said “Then maybe she’ll be ready to talk to you”

“You just said as second ago to go and talk to her” Ruby said “Make up your mind”

“Sorry” Xavier said “I think you should actually give her time” Xavier said.

“But she’s all alone now” Ruby cried “She’s going to need someone”

“Okay, well maybe I could ask my Mum to go talk to her” Xavier suggested.

“No offence Xav but she’s not exactly the best of friends with my Mum is she?”

“Okay, well then why don’t you asked Bianca or Leah to go around and see her” Xavier said “She’s going to need someone”

“Okay, I’ll phone someone. And I know exactly who it needs to be” Ruby said as she sat up and wiped the tears from her face.

Thanks everyone :) Hope you like this next one.

Chapter 48

Charlie was sitting on the couch when there was a knock at the door. She looked up briefly before she looked back down to the photo album in her hands. Running her hand across the picture a tear rolled down her cheek. “I need you Mum” Charlie cried “I really need you right now” Charlie once again ran her hand over the photo as the tears continued to fall down her cheeks.

“I might not be your Mum but I’m going to help you get your baby back” The voice said and Charlie turned around to find Morag standing there.

“Morag...I -”

“I did knock” Morag said “But you didn’t seem to want to come to the door”

“No, I eh.....I don’t want to talk to anyone right now” Charlie said and Morag smiled lightly before she took a seat next to Charlie on the couch.

“Well I’ve came here all the way from the city, so I would appreciate a few words” Morag said.

“How did....you know...how” Charlie tried to talk but was unable to string a sentence together.

“Ruby called me” Morag informed her “She’s filled me in on everything that’s gone on”

“Did she tell you it was her fault” Charlie retorted “It was her fault that he got taken from me”

“She did actually” Morag told her. “But you know Ruby was just doing what she thought was right. It was her way of trying to help, you know, doing the right thing”

“That’s what Angelo said” Charlie replied.

“Well I think it might be the first – and most probably last – thing that Angelo and I agree on” Morag said. “But darling, blaming Ruby isn’t going to bring Jacob back, is it?” Morag questioned and Charlie shook her head as she wiped the tears from her cheeks. She leaned forward and picked up a picture from the coffee table, before handing it to Morag.

“I wish I could just let you see him, but...” Charlie trailed off.

“He’s beautiful Charlie” Morag smiled as she looked down to the picture of Jacob that was in her hands.

“6 days” Charlie said as she lightly shook her head “He’s only 6 days old and already I’ve lost him”

“Well that’s why I’m here” Morag smiled lightly “I’m going to get you this baby back Charlie”

“You really think I got a chance?” Charlie asked.

“Of course. You knew nothing about the drugs, right?” Morag asked and Charlie nodded.

“I trusted him. I loved him and I let move in here. But the whole relationship was just a lie” Charlie said as she sniffed back a tear.

“Charlie, the few times I met Darryl he seemed like a lovely guy. You weren’t to know”

“I’ve been made a fool of. I’m a police sergeant” Charlie cried “I should have suspected something”

“He was just good at covering his tracks” Morag said. “Charlie you are not to blame for any of this okay”

“Maybe I am you know if I never started seeing Brax then maybe this would never have happened. Maybe Casey wouldn’t have asked Ruby to do this maybe.....”

“Charlie” Morag said cutting her off. “What’s happened happened. There’s no point in going over the maybes or what if’s. All we’re going to concentrate on now is getting Jacob back home”

“You really think we will?” Charlie questioned.

“I’m going to make sure of it” Morag said as she lightly rubbed Charlie’s arm in comfort.

Ruby had left Xavier’s house to go out for a run. As she ran along the beach, she thought about the phone call with Morag and hoped that she was now at least on her way to the bay, on her way to help Charlie win Jacob back. She hated herself for what had happened, and felt a huge part, if not all of it was on her. She knew what she was doing was wrong, but she just wanted to help. She knew how much her Mother loved Brax and that she would be devastated to lose him, so she thought that this was the best thing to do. And she knew Brax, drug dealing aside, wasn’t a bad guy. He’d just made some bad choices but was trying to put things right. All that seemed to matter to Ruby was that her Mother got her baby back, and she knew that Morag would put up a good fight in trying. It wasn’t fair that they’d taken the baby away so quickly and Ruby could only now hope that Morag would just as quickly get the baby back. Sighing lightly Ruby kept running along the beach, trying to clear her head of everything that had gone on. She didn’t blame her Mother for throwing her out of the house, she had good reason too, but she only hoped that one day, Charlie would be able to understand Ruby’s choices and they’d be okay again. She knew that Charlie was hurting right now, so it was best just to leave her, like Charlie had wanted. Ruby picked up her pace as she ran up the path and started heading out towards the road. The car followed her slowly, the driver waiting for the right time to make his move. He watched as Ruby ran along the road. Speeding up slightly, he rolled down his window and shouted over to her. Ruby stopped running and looked round, before walking over to the car. “Can you tell me how to get to summer bay?” The man asked and Ruby nodded as she tried to catch her breath.

“Sure just turn back around and take the first left then you’ll not long in be there” Ruby said and the man smiled as he nodded.

“Need a lift there?” The man asked and Ruby shook her head.

“No, I’m going to keep on running” Ruby said before she started up running again, but the car drove up to her and the man shouted at her again.

“Is it a nice place? Summer Bay?” He asked and Ruby sighed lightly as she once again stopped running.

“Why don’t you go and check it out for yourself?” Ruby questioned “Now if you don’t mind I really would like to be left alone now” Ruby said and the man laughed before he stepped out of the car.

“I think I have a different plan” He laughed once more before he took a step forward and grabbed hold of arm.

“What the hell are you doing?” Ruby shouted “Get off me”

“No, I don’t think so” He laughed “Now get in the car”

“No” Ruby struggled but the man was stronger than her and he forced her into the car before he sped off along the road.

Bianca knocked on the door of the house and surprised to find it was Morag who answered. “Morag” Bianca smiled “What are you doing here? Have you come to see the baby?”

“Not quiet” Morag answered and Bianca gave her a confused look. “Why don’t you come in and I’ll explain” As Morag made the coffee’s she explained the situation to Bianca, who could hardly believe it.

“Poor Charlie” Bianca said “I can’t believe Angelo would do that. There’s no way she’d put Jacob in any kind of danger”

“I tell you all this and all you say is you can’t believe Angelo?” Morag questioned.

“Well obviously, it’s a shock about Brax I mean that goes without saying. But taking someone baby away from them” Bianca shook her head.

“Well as much as I don’t like Angelo, he is the father and right now if Jacob cannot be with Charlie, then he is person I’d want him to be with”

“Of course” Bianca said “Still, I hate what he’s done. I mean surely there was another way around this” Bianca said before she took a mouthful of her coffee.

“Oh I’m sure there would have been” Morag said “But things are as they are. All we can do now is fix this”

“Sure, I’ll do anything to help” Bianca said. “Anything at all I can do”

“Just be there for Charlie. I’m sure she’ll need a friend right now” Morag said and Bianca nodded. “I’m going to go and talk to social services and see what this situation is” Morag said “I just don’t want Charlie to be alone”

“That’s fine, I’ll stay” Bianca smiled “Where is Charlie anyways?”

“She went for a lie down” Morag answered “I don’t think she’s slept well last night”

“Don’t blame her” Bianca said and Morag shook her head.

“Well we are wasting precious time here” Morag said “So, I’ll see you later” Morag said before she picked up her handbag and left the house. Bianca exhaled lightly as she stood up from the table and walked across the hallway, over to Charlie’s bedroom and knocked lightly on the door. After waiting for a few moments without an answer she slowly opened the door, but was slightly surprised to find the room was empty. She exhaled lightly as she walked down the hall and found the nursery, which was where she also found Charlie. She was sitting on the rocking chair holding one of Jacob’s teddy’s in her hand as the tears rolled down her cheeks.

“Bianca” Charlie said as she wiped the tears away. “Jacob’s just eh....”

“Morag told me” Bianca said softly. “Oh Charlie” Bianca said as she walked into the room and knelt down next to the rocking chair. She learned forward and pulled Charlie into a hug, holding her as she cried.

Thanks so much totally, Sarah, Chester-Sam, Sabrina, Zoe, Aden_Belle, once_upon_a_mind, RR1, cb2180 and Kaza for commenting. :wub: I hope you like this next one.

Chapter 49

The man pushed Ruby into the room where she was shocked to see Casey, sitting with his arms tied behind his back. “Case” Ruby said and Casey looked up to her.

“What are you doing getting Ruby involved” Casey yelled at the man “She doesn’t deserve this, just let her go” Casey yelled and Hammer laughed.

“Shut up” Hammer said as he pushed Ruby down onto the floor next to Casey. "She’s the coppers daughter who your brother is seeing. I thought she might come in handy. Just in case. You know the cops won’t do anything stupid if I’ve got the sergeants daughter”

“The police don’t need to be involved. Please just let us go home” Casey pleaded.

Hammer laughed as he looked down at the two teens. “I’ll let you go when I get my dope”

“Heath told you....we can’t....we don’t have it anymore, someone cleared the whole crop and we can’t -”

“And I told Heath I didn’t believe that lie” Hammer yelled. “And now it had to come to this” Hammer laughed lightly before he walked over to Ruby and lightly ran his hand down her face. “Pretty little thing” Hammer smiled “We could have lots of fun” Ruby grimaced as she turned her head away not wanting to look at Hammer. “Now now baby don’t be so distant” Hammer said as he placed a kiss on Ruby cheek.

“Leave her alone” Casey yelled “If you put one finger on her”

“You’ll what?” Hammer laughed “Not much you can do all tied up” Hammer walked to the back of Ruby and took her hands, tying them together tightly.

“Maybe I can’t, but my brothers will find me and then you’ll be sorry. And then there’s Charlie. You hurt her daughter and well I don’t even want to think about what she’ll do to you”

Hammer once again laughed. “Well as much as I liked to stay and listen to this all day I think I’m going to head out for a bit. You two don’t do anything stupid” Hammer said before he walked out of the room and went back to his car. After Casey was sure that Hammer was away, he began struggling, trying to set his hand free.

“Oh God” Casey muttered “I can’t get it”

“It’s too tight” Ruby said “There’s no point in trying”

“We have to do something” Casey said “We can’t just sit here” Casey looked around the dark, damp room where he and Ruby were sitting.

“Well what do you suggest we can do?” Ruby spat “We’re tied up in this dark, damp room. There’s no windows, only the door that Hammer’s just locked....we’re stuck Casey” Ruby sighed.

“So what you suggest we just sit here and wait?” Casey asked.

“We have too” Ruby said “He’s bound to be calling on your brothers. Brax won’t let him do anything to us” Casey sighed as he pulled on the ropes around his hands once more.

“Well I hope your right” Casey sighed as he looked to Ruby.

Xavier knocked on the door and was quiet surprised to find that Bianca had answered. “Bianca is Charlie in?”

“She doesn’t want to talk to anyone right now” Bianca shook her head. “I’m assuming Ruby’s told you what’s happened”

“Eh yeah” Xavier said “And I am sorry for Charlie I am, but Ruby went out for a run this morning and I haven’t seen her since. I’m worried” Xavier said “Please I want to talk to her” Bianca sighed lightly before she gestured for Xavier to enter the house.

“Sit down. I’ll try to get her to come and see you but I can’t promise anything” Bianca said before she disappeared out of the living room and walked along to the nursery, where Charlie had remained to sit for the day. “Xavier’s here” Bianca said softly. “He wants to talk to you about Ruby” Charlie shook her head lightly as she looked beyond Bianca, staring out at nothing. “Charlie, look, she went out this morning for a run and she’s not been seen since”

Charlie shrugged her shoulders “She’s a big girl. She’ll be fine”

“C’mon Charlie, you and I both know that’s this isn’t Ruby’s style. She wouldn’t be away this long without letting someone know where she is”

“Maybe she just needs time on her own. Time to clear her head of what’s she done” Charlie said coldly.

“Charlie, just please go and talk to him” Bianca said.

“To say what? I don’t know where she is. But she’s a smart girl. Just tell him not to be worried” Bianca exhaled lightly before she left the room.

“I’m sorry” Bianca said “She won’t come out. But she did say that you shouldn’t be worried. You know, I’m sure she’ll be fine”

“No” Xavier shook his head “Ruby wouldn’t go away for as long without letting someone know. What if something’s happened?”

“Look” Bianca exhaled lightly “Go home and if she’s not turned up in another couple hours, then come back round, okay?” Bianca said and Xavier nodded as he stood up from the couch.

“I don’t understand how she can be so calm about this. Something’s happened to Ruby, I know it has”

“Xav, she’s just had her baby taken from her, found out her relationship has been a lie, found out her daughter brought the drugs into the house that caused her to lose her son, she just had a lot thrown at her. I’m sure that she is worried but maybe she’s trying to say Ruby will be fine so she doesn’t have something else to worry about”

“Yeah but she can’t just pretend like it’s not happening” Xavier said.

“Look, Xavier we don’t know if anything is right now, so just go home, keeping trying to call her, I’m sure she’ll be fine” Bianca said and Xavier sighed lightly before he left the house.

“Casey” Brax shouted as he knocked on his bedroom door. After a few minutes with no answer, Brax opened the door to find the room empty. “Heath” Brax shouted as he walked down the hall of the house and into the living room “You seen Case?”

“Nah not since he went out for a surf yesterday” Heath answered.

“Yesterday? You’ve not seen him since yesterday?” Brax shouted.

“He’ll be fine” Heath said “He’s not a kid”

“Heath, he’s been gone since yesterday” Brax yelled.

“So” Heath answered.

“So maybe.....what if something’s happened?” Brax said.

“Like what?” Heath laughed.

“I dunno” Brax shook his head “But I just think something isn’t right. I mean maybe Hammers got something to do with his”

“Look Brax, we need to lie low eh” Heath said “I’m surprised that the cops haven’t been around yet. Don’t go around putting blame on people when he’s probably just out with his mates”

“What’s all day today and yesterday without coming home at all?” Brax questioned “Heath, you can sit there all you want, but I’m going to go see what I can find out” Brax said before he left the house. He jumped into his ute and made the short drive from Mangrove River into Summer Bay. He went straight to her house. He knew that he was probably about to get yelled at and told to leave, but he wanted to see Ruby; he wanted to know if she’d heard from Casey in the last 24 hours. Sighing lightly, Brax continued to drive along the road, until he reached the Bay.

Xavier once again found himself knocking on Charlie’s door. “Xavier” Morag said as she answered.

“Hey, can I talk to Charlie” Xavier asked.

“I don’t think she’ll talk to anyone” Morag shook her head.

“Look, I get it must be hard for her not having Jacob right now but her daughter hasn’t been seen since yesterday morning and I’m really worried and she should be too” Xavier said raising his voice.

“Then go to the police station” Morag and Xavier looked up to see Charlie walking into the room. “There’s nothing I can do” Charlie sniffed back a tear “Let them know everything you know. Last time you saw her, what she was wearing, all that’s kind of stuff” Charlie said and Xavier nodded lightly. “I’ll try calling her, see if she answers me” Charlie said “You go to the station and give them everything you know then come back here, okay?” Xavier nodded lightly before he disappeared from the house. Charlie looked to Morag as a tear rolled down her cheek. “This is my fault” Charlie cried.

“Charlie you are not to blame for this” Morag said as she stepped forward and lightly rubbed her arm in comfort.

“I am” Charlie said “I was just hurting over losing Jacob. And now she’s gone. She’s probably ran off because I told her to leave and now I’ve lost both my children” Charlie cried.

“Charlie” Morag sighed as she pulled Charlie into a hug. Charlie rested her head against Morag’s shoulder as the tears streamed down her face.

“What have I done” Charlie cried. “I’ve lost my daughter, my baby, my boyfriend....what did I do to deserve this” Before Morag had a chance to reply to Charlie, there was another knock at the door. Morag answered it to find Brax standing at the other side.

“What the hell do you want?” Morag asked “Or actually, why aren’t you in jail?”

“Don’t worry I will go away for this” Brax answered before he looked over Morag’s shoulder to Charlie, who was standing looking down. He could see the tears falling down her cheeks. “Charlie” Brax exhaled. “Again, I’m so sorry about what I did. I never meant to hurt you”

“No, I bet you didn’t” Charlie spat back without looking up at him.

“Look, Casey’s not been seen since yesterday morning. I eh wondered if Ruby new anything about it?”

“Casey’s what?” Charlie asked as she looked up at Brax.

“He’s not been seen since yesterday” Brax answered.

“Ruby she’s....she not been seen either”

“Oh God” Brax shook his head.

“You don’t think they’ve ran away together?” Morag questioned and Brax shook his head.

“Nah” Brax said “Hammer.....Hammer told Heath he’d regret no doing this drugs deal with him. I think he’s probably got them”

“I’m sorry you think Hammer has kidnapped Casey and Ruby?” Morag questioned in disbelief.

“I do” Brax nodded “And if he has we don’t want the police knowing. This guy is dangerous and if he knows the police are involved -”

“I just sent Xav to the police station” Charlie said.

“What the hell did you do that for?” Brax asked.

“My daughter is missing” Charlie yelled at Brax “So that’s why he’s at the police station. We’re not doing this your stupid river boy way. So if Hammer does have them then the police will help”

“But Charlie, please, you have to trust me. He’s -”

“Trust you?” Charlie questioned “You want me to trust you? I’m sorry but that is not going to happen. We’re going to do this my way” Charlie said and Brax sighed lightly.

“I’m sorry Charlie, but I can’t” Brax said before his mobile rang and he looked down to find Casey’s name flashing across the screen. “Casey, Case, where are you?” Hammer laughed as he heard Brax’s worried voice.

“Brax” Hammer laughed. “You listen to me. This is how its going to work”

Thank you all so much :) Hope you like this next one.

Chapter 50

“He want’s $50,000” Brax said as he hung the phone up. “I don’t have that kind of money”

Charlie laughed “Don’t lie. Surely you’ve got plenty drug money kicking around”

“I don’t” Brax shook his head “Charlie I swear I was going legit”

“Why?” Morag questioned “Why now after all this time?”

“Because...” Brax trailed off as he looked down. “I fell in love with Charlie and I wanted to be a family with her, Ruby and the baby”

“We don’t really need to talk about this right now” Charlie said “I think we have something else we need to sort out”

“Right, I can give him “$20, $25 grand tops” Brax sighed. “But Charlie I swear I don’t have anything from the drugs. I haven’t done a deal in months. This was going to be the last one”

“Funny isn’t it. You get caught out and now it was going to be the last one” Charlie spat.

“Charlie, I swear” Brax said, before he got cut off by Morag.

“Look, you two clearly have a lot of talking to do, but right now I think Casey and Ruby are more important so we need to sort this out”

“What’s there to sort out, Morag” Charlie sighed “The police will sort it”

“Charlie, please you have to believe me, at this point, getting the police involved is only going to make matters worse. Just let me do this”

“And where are we going to get $50,000 from exactly?” Charlie shouted.

“Like I said, I can give $25 grand” Brax said as he gave Charlie a glance.

“I don’t have that kind of money” Charlie shook her head.

“C’mon Charlie, you’re a police sergeant” Brax sighed “Surely you’ve got enough”

“I’ve just had a baby, they cost you a good bit of money” Charlie said “We need to just let the police do their job”

“Charlie, I feel I am going to regret saying this at one point, but I agree with Darryl. If this guy is a bad as Darryl is saying then bringing the police in could make matters worse”

“What?” Charlie questioned.

“I’m sure between the 3 of us we can get the money that this man needs”

“I can’t believe I’m hearing this, from you of all people” Charlie said as she looked to Morag. “Morag....” Charlie trailed off as Xavier came running back into the house.

“They eh, they want a photo” Xavier said “They want to show it to people ask if they’ve seen her”

“Charlie please, trust me” Brax whispered and Charlie looked to Brax before she looked back around to Xavier.

“It’s fine” Charlie said “Ruby answered my call. She’s fine”

Well where is she? Why hasn’t she been answering my calls?” Xavier asked.

“She just wants a break” Charlie answered.

“She’s just at a hotel in Reefton lakes” Brax said “Said we weren’t to worry and she’d be home in the next few days”

“Maybe you ought to go back and tell the police that” Morag said. Xavier nodded lightly before he once again left the house.

“This is ridiculous” Charlie sighed “We need -”

“Charlie stop it” Brax said “Now, we need to get the money and then he wants me and Heath to meet him at the storage blocks out at Rayman’s industrial estate”

“Rayman’s industrial estate” Charlie said “Right” Charlie nodded as she grabbed her car keys before she made her way out of the house.

“Charlie” Brax shouted as he chased after her. “Charlie, don’t” Brax yelled as he grabbed onto her.

“Get off me” Charlie yelled.

“Not until I have your word you won’t go” Brax said.

“My daughter has been kidnapped” Charlie yelled “I’ve already lost my son. I’m not going to lose her too”

“You’re not going to lose her Charlie. If you listen to me. I promise you, you’ll get her back safe and sound”

“No because I shouted at her. I told her to get out. I told her to leave. She’ll hate me. She’ll think I think Jacob is more important than her and I don’t, I don’t, but I just want him back so much and she....” Charlie trailed off as she once again broke down into tears. “This is just all too much. It’s just all too much”

“Hey, it’s okay” Brax said as Charlie fell into him. He wrapped his arms around her and held her as she cried. “I’ll get Ruby back to you”

“You promise me that this.....it’s going to be okay and that no-one’s going to get hurt?” Charlie questioned as she sniffed back more tears.

“I promise” Brax said “But Charlie, you just gotta let me deal with this eh”

“Okay” Charlie nodded “But if she’s not home safe by tonight then I’m going to the police”

“Okay, that sounds fair” Brax agreed.

“Angelo” Morag said coldly as she answered the door.

“Morag, what a surprise, what are you doing here?” Angelo asked.

“I’m here to help Charlie get Jacob back” Morag said and the smile fell from Angelo’s face. “What are you doing here?”

“I eh...I came to get more milk from Charlie” Angelo said.

“Right, I see” Morag said “Well you best come in then” Angelo smiled lightly before he walked into the house. “So, tell me, Angelo, what made you think that taking a new-born baby away from his Mother would ever be a good thing?”

Angelo sighed lightly “Look, Morag I was just doing what I thought was right”

“That’s not exactly what I asked you” Morag said sharply. “You didn’t do what was right. You just did what you wanted for yourself. You weren’t thinking about Jacob at all” Morag spat as Charlie walked in the room.

“Oh God the milk” Charlie said as he brought her hand up to her mouth. “I’m sorry, Angelo, I....”

“You forgot?” Angelo questioned “Charlie how can -”

“No, no, I didn’t really forget I just....” Charlie trailed off as she looked down. “Ruby’s missing and it’s just been a bit....there’s just so much going on and I can’t....” Charlie stopped talking as a tear rolled down her cheek.

“Ruby’s missing?” Angelo questioned.

“Well not exactly missing” Morag answered “We know where she is. It’s just....” Morag trailed off. “It’s nothing you need to worry about”

“Charlie, if there’s anything I can do help” Angelo said.

“Oh I think you’ve done enough” Morag spat “Now why don’t you just go home and look after Jacob. You take him from Charlie and then you spend half the time away from him”

“Like I said” Angelo cleared his throat “I was hoping to get Charlie’s milk”

“Sorry” Charlie said “You’ll have to wait if you want it”

“Yeah fine” Angelo nodded “And I eh, tried what you said about the different bottle teats and he’s taking it better now. After a few tries” Angelo laughed lightly “He’s still not eating a lot, but it’s more than that first night”

“Good, I’m glad” Charlie smiled before she left the room to express her milk.

“You know maybe I should call social services on you. If the child isn’t eating properly, could be dangerous. Well it is, that not good for him, is it?”

“Morag” Angelo exhaled lightly “I know you don’t like what I did but I did what I thought was right”

“Oh I don’t doubt that Angelo. I’m just wondering who you thought it was right for”

Angelo exhaled lightly as he shook his head “I’m going to go to the diner for a coffee. Tell Charlie I’ll be back later for the milk” Angelo said before he turned and walked out of the house and made his way over to the diner. Just as he going to make his order, Heath walked into the diner as his mobile began to ring.

“Yo bro, what’s up?” Heath asked as she answered the phone. “Hammer’s what?” Heath yelled “Well where are they.....and he wants us to go now?” Heath asked, lowering his voice this time. “Where about....never heard of it, what did you say?” Heath said “Ah Rayman’s......okay, sure see ya there” Heath said before he turned and made his way out of the diner. Angelo exhaled lightly as he thought about what Morag had said about Ruby being missing. He knew that Hammer was a bad guy and had a horrible feeling about that call.

“Sir” The voice said “What can I get you?”

“Eh no, nothing sorry, I have to go somewhere” Angelo said as he walked out of the diner, and got into his car.

Archived