Nothing Lasts Forever

Guest Danni02

Thank you soph1303, Sarah, CharlieAndBraxLover, JosieTash, Red Ranger 1, Sazzle, Arielxo and RoRo90 for commenting. :wub: I'm not sure about this one :( Hope you think its okay.

Chapter 91

“Okay” Georgie sighed as she sat back down at the table and pressed the recorder again. “Interview resumed at 1845” Georgie said before she looked back to Casey. “Mr Braxton, could you please tell us again where you were last night”

Casey sighed lightly as he looked from Patrick to Georgie. “Seems you’re going to pin this on me anyways, so what’s the point in talking”

“Too possibly prove your innocence” Patrick answered and Casey exhaled as he shook his head.

“Went to the club in Yabbie Creek around 9 with Heath” Casey said “We had some drinks, I saw Ruby, we started talking, we left the club together, made out and then we had sex”

“So you’re not denying sleeping with her, you’re just saying it was consensual?” Georgie questioned.

“That’s right” Casey nodded.

“So there were no objections at all from Miss Buckton?” Patrick questioned.

“At first yes” Casey said, seeing he needed to be fully truthful. “She said she didn’t want to do this to Xavier, he was the one she wanted. I told her Xavier never needed to find out about us, and that’s when she gave in. Ruby wanted it to happen, there’s no way that I would do this otherwise”

“Well Miss Buckton’s version of events are different” Georgie questioned.

“Well Ruby is lying” Casey said “I did not rape her” Casey shouted as anger build up inside him at what he was being accused at.

“Why would Miss Buckton lie?” Patrick questioned and Casey shook his head.

“I don’t know” Casey sighed “Because she is ashamed she cheated on her fiancé like a day after they got engaged. Look Ruby and I have a history. She’s my ex-girlfriend and I still love her, there’s no way I would do this this”

Georgie and Patrick shared a glance with each other. “Or maybe this is exactly the reason why you did” Patrick said “Your still hung up on her and can’t stand that she is with Mr Austin. You wanted to punish her for her choices, because she doesn’t want to be with you”

“No” Casey yelled as he slammed his fists against the table. “I didn’t do this. Ruby and I had consensual sex last night. She wanted it”

“So you’re saying she made up the rape to avoid getting into trouble for cheating on her fiancé?” Georgie asked and Casey nodded. “Why do you think she would draw more attention to the fact that she cheated? Don’t you think she’d just pretend it didn’t happen, not cry rape and draw even more attention to herself?”

“Well you’d need to ask Ruby that one” Casey replied and Georgie exhaled lightly. “So, are you going to arrest me or am I free to go?”

“Nice black eye you’ve got there” Patrick said, avoiding his question. “How did that happen?”

“Perhaps it was from someone who was trying to get you away from them. Someone who was saying no?” Georgie questioned and Casey laughed lightly.

“It was Xavier Austin” Casey replied “He hit me this morning”

“And what reason could Mr Austin possibly have to hit you?” Georgie asked.

“He thinks I raped his fiancée. Does that seem like a good enough reason” Casey retorted.

“I’d say so” Patrick answered.

“Look, it’s obvious you think I’m guilty” Casey sighed “But the fact is, what evidence do you have right now to keep me here any longer?” Casey asked. Patrick and Georgie shared a glance. Casey was right; they didn’t have any solid evidence to keep Casey in custody.

“Interview suspended at 1900 hours” Georgie sighed as she stopped the tape running. “Casey you are free to go” Georgie said reluctantly. “For now”

Georgie and Patrick made their way up to the front door of Charlie’s house. Georgie took a deep breath before she knocked on the door. “Officers” Xavier said as he opened the door. “What can I do for you?”

“Mr Austin” Patrick said “Could we please come in”

“Oh sorry of course” Xavier said as Georgie and Patrick walked into the house. “Did you arrest him yet?”

“Mr Austin, Mr Braxton had pressed charges against you for assault” Georgie said and Xavier sighed lightly.

“So, you’re here to arrest me?” Xavier questioned.

“Well, we would like you to come down to the station and answered a few questions” Patrick answered, just as Charlie walked into the living room, with a just bathed Jacob in her arms.

“Georgie, Patrick, what brings you here?” Charlie asked “I hope you’re here with the good news of Casey’s arrest”

“Eh” Patrick said anxiously. “We’ve had to let him go”

“You what?” Charlie raised her voice.

“We’re sorry, but there’s just not enough evidence to keep him in at the moment” Georgie answered.

“He did this to my daughter” Charlie yelled.

“We are sorry, Charlie” Patrick answered “But this isn’t over. If Mr Braxton did this, we’ll get him”

“And how exactly?” Charlie answered “There is no evidence. It’s his word against Ruby’s. How are you going to prove he did this now?”

“We’ll get something Charlie” Georgie said. “But unfortunately we’re not here to talk about Mr Braxton”

“Then why are you here?” Charlie questioned.

“They’re here to take me to the station” Xavier sighed “Casey pressed charges”

“You have to be kidding me?” Charlie questioned “You’re here to arrest Xavier, but you’ve let someone like Casey go free?”

“Mr Austin assaulted someone” Patrick answered “We need to follow through”

“This is ridiculous” Charlie spat.

“Charlie, it’s fine” Xavier said “I shouldn’t have hit Casey and I need to do what is asked”

Charlie shook her head lightly as she looked at Georgie and Patrick in disappointment. “Mr Austin, you’re under arrest for assault of Mr Braxton. You don’t have to say anything, but -”

“Oh for goodness sake” Charlie sighed “Just take him away” Georgie and Patrick shared a glance with each other before they walked out of the house with Xavier. Charlie exhaled lightly as she closed the door behind them.

“Xava go” Jacob said as he pointed to the door.

“Yeah sweetie. Silly police arresting the wrong people” Charlie said as she looked to her son. Jacob looked to Charlie his big blue eyes widening before he yawned.

“Bankie” Jacob said as he rested his head on Charlie’s shoulder. Charlie smiled lightly at her son, before she walked through to his bedroom to put him down for the night.

“Interview started at 1930” Patrick said as he sat down at the desk. “Mr Austin, can you please tell us where you were around 8.30 this morning”

“I was on the beach” Xavier answered “I ran into Casey and I hit him, around 4 times. Think I gave him a bloody nose too” Xavier smiled lightly. He wasn’t going to hid the fact that he’d hurt Casey.

“And what provoked the attack?” Georgie questioned.

“Casey raped my fiancée the night previous” Xavier answered.

“And can you verify that?” Patrick answered and Xavier shook his head.

“No” Xavier said “I wasn’t there, but I believe my fiancée. Why would Ruby lie about this?”

Georgie sighed lightly. “Xavier, I understand why you hit Mr Braxton, but you do realise this attack wasn’t necessary and was rather stupid, on your part”

“I’d say it was. He hurt my fiancée” Xavier answered “I don’t think it was stupid at all and I’m just sorry I didn’t hurt him even more”

“Xavier, making threatening comments like that isn’t a very good idea” Patrick said.

“Look, I hit Casey” Xavier said “I’m admitted what I did, and I’m sure anyone else would feel like doing the same to whoever did that to their fiancée”

“Well maybe so” Georgie said “But unfortunately, because of what Mr Braxton may have done, it doesn’t make it okay for you to assault him”

“I know” Xavier said “So am I going to get my slap on the wrist and then get sent on my way?” Xavier questioned.

“Sorry mate” Patrick shook his head “We’re going to have to put you in the cell”

“Seriously?” Xavier questioned and Georgie nodded.

“Constable Avery here will take you through to get your fingerprints” Georgie said.

“But how am I supposed to be there for Ruby now. She needs me” Xavier said.

“I’m sorry. You should have thought about that before you assaulted someone” Patrick said as he led Xavier out of the room.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Zoe, JosieTash, Sarah, Aden_Belle, pembie, soph1303, Dingo x and Red Ranger 1 for commenting. :wub:

Chapter 92

Charlie walked down the hall and into Ruby’s bedroom after she’d settled Jacob down for the night. She found Ruby sitting on the edge of her bed, starting out at nothing. “Hey” Charlie said softly.

“What was all that?” Ruby asked “I heard voices”

“Ehm, the police came around” Charlie paused before she tucked her daughter’s hair behind her ear. “Sweetie, they took Casey in for questioning, but they unfortunately had to let him go”

“Why?” Ruby asked.

“Because they don’t have enough evidence” Charlie said softly.

“So it’s my fault” Ruby said as a tear rolled down her cheek. “Because I kept showering. I washed away evidence”

“No it’s not your fault -”

“It is” Ruby cried “It’s going to be a he said, she said, isn’t it?”

Charlie nodded lightly as she wrapped her arm around her daughter. “Yeah, but Rubes, we’ll get him for this”

“I just want it to all be over” Ruby cried “It’s only the first day and I hate it already. I want it to end”

“I know sweetheart” Charlie said “But Casey will go down for this. You can trust me on this one, and it does get easier, you just need to give it time”

“I do” Ruby managed a week smile. “And, I know, I mean, look at you, you’ve gone like 20 years since your....and you got a child from it. I know I can get through this because I just need to look at you, you did it, and I know I’ll be able to as well” Ruby said and Charlie smiled lightly as she hugged her daughter. “Where’s Xav gone?” Ruby questioned “I know I said before I felt safe with him, but after having that nap and that dream.....” Ruby trailed off as she shook her head “I can’t sleep in the same bed as him, not tonight, not yet. He’ll understand, won’t he?”

“Of course he will” Charlie smiled softly. “But sweetie, Xav got arrested for assault on Casey”

“What?” Ruby questioned.

“I don’t expect he’ll do any jail time” Charlie shook her head “But they do need to follow procedure”

“So Casey is free but Xav gets arrested for standing up for me?” Ruby asked “How’s that fair?”

“It’s not” Charlie shook her head and tears fell down Ruby’s cheeks. “But Xavier shouldn’t have hit Casey, so the police just need to do what is right”

“But they let Casey go” Ruby cried “How is that right?”

“They need something more substantial before they can make an arrest” Charlie explained.

“Then they’re never going to get that” Ruby cried.

“They might” Charlie said, trying to keep her daughters hopes alive, although if she was being honest, hers were already fading fast.

“But what are they going to get?” Ruby asked “There’s no evidence anymore” Ruby cried “Why is he lying? Hasn’t he hurt me enough already?”

“Look sweetie, why don’t you just try to forget about Casey for the time being, and concentrate on getting past this”

“I’m not going to be able to if he doesn’t get arrested though” Ruby said sadly. “Mum, please you need to arrest him” Ruby cried.

“Rubes, sweetie I can’t” Charlie answered “I’m not allowed on this case”

“Please Mum” Ruby cried “You have to do this for me”

“Rubes, I have orders from head office. I’m so sorry but I can’t do anything” Charlie said sadly, for she knew she couldn’t, although her heart was breaking for her daughter, and she wanted so much to be the one who ended up arresting Casey for this.

“Please” Ruby cried “You promised me you would”

“Okay....Okay” Charlie said as she looked at her daughter. “I promise” Charlie said as she held her daughter tightly. “But sweetie, you need to eat” Charlie said as she looked up at the bowl of now cold spaghetti.

“I ate a little bit” Ruby sighed.

“Yeah I know” Charlie smiled lightly “But I’m not sure that’s enough. Rubes, you know you need to eat properly because of your diabetes”

“I just don’t feel hungry” Ruby sighed “I feel horrible and dirty. I don’t want to eat”

“You have too” Charlie said “Not eating is only going to make you feel worse”

Ruby sighed lightly as she looked over to the bowl of spaghetti. “Could you heat it up for me then?” Ruby asked and Charlie smiled lightly as stood up from the bed.

“Of course I can” Charlie said softly as she placed a kiss on Ruby’s forehead.

The next morning, and Brax had come around to see Charlie, and try to bond with Jacob. “Brax” Charlie smiled as he invited him into the house. “What brings you here?”

“Oh I just thought I’d come see my gorgeous girlfriend, try and bond with her little one” Brax smiled. “If it’s okay, popping over unannounced”

“It’s fine” Charlie smiled as she gave him a quick kiss.

“How’s Ruby doing?” Brax questioned.

“Not great” Charlie sighed “She didn’t sleep well last night. She kept seeing it happened. She kept yelling out for Casey to stop. So I had to sit up with her most of the night. So I’m pretty tired myself, but thankfully Ruby is sleeping, has been with no nightmares for the last hour, so that’s good”

“I’m sorry” Brax said softly. “If you fancy going for a lie down too I could watch the little one for you” Brax said as he looked over to Jacob who was playing with his building blocks, seemingly unaware that Brax had entered the house.

“No offence Brax, but I still don’t think I’d get any sleep with all his screaming at you to get out” Charlie laughed.

“Well that’s what this is for” Brax smiled as he lifted the bag up higher. “We have cookies, a toy truck and a ball”

“Wow Jacob did you hear that? Brax is showering you with bribes” Charlie grinned and Jacob jumped up and ran over to Charlie, clinging onto her leg as he looked up at Brax.

“Away” Jacob said as he held his hands up to go to Charlie. Charlie smiled lightly at her son as she lifted him into her arms.

“Hey, what’s Brax done to upset you?” Charlie said “He really is a lovely man if you just give him a chance” Jacob looked to Charlie as she spoke with a frown on his face before he shook his head.

“Well you won’t be wanting this then” Brax said as he brought out the box of cookies and Jacob’s eyes lit up.

“Cookie” Jacob smiled as he clapped his hands together excitedly. Brax laughed lightly as he opened the box and pulled out a cookie, handing one to Jacob. Jacob looked down to the cookie as he shook his head. “No” Jacob pulled a face a before he dropped the cookie to the ground. Brax looked at Charlie confused.

“I ehm....I probably should have told you he likes white choc chip cookies not milk choc chip ones” Charlie said as she bit her lip.

“Wow and here’s me thinking a cookie was a cookie” Brax said “He’s a kid, can’t you just tell him that’s the kind he likes?”

“He’s not stupid” Charlie said “He knows the different between white and milk chocolate”

“Okay, so cookies didn’t work” Brax sighed “Thanks for the not so useful tip there Mother” Brax said as gave Charlie a cheeky glance. Charlie laughed lightly as she put Jacob down on the floor and picked up the cookie.

“Cookies would have worked if you bought the right kind” Charlie said.

“Well you failed to give me that information, so how was I supposed to know?” Brax asked and Charlie laughed.

“Mamma” Jacob said as he grabbed onto her leg, backing away from Brax until he was standing behind Charlie, peaking his head around her leg ever so slightly.

“I really don’t know why he is so scared of you” Charlie sighed “He’s never acted like this with anyone else before”

“Gee thanks for making me feel better eh” Brax said.

“Don’t push it. He’ll come round eventually” Charlie said “Now do you want a coffee or anything?”

“Eh yeah” Brax said “Coffee would be good” Charlie smiled as she walked over to the kitchen, leaving Jacob standing in the middle of the room staring up at Brax.

“Hey mate” Brax spoke softly as he bent down to Jacob’s level. He reached into the bag, and pulled out the little red fire truck and a ball. Jacob’s eyes widened as he slowly stepped forward and took the fire truck in his hand before he ran over Charlie and took hold of her leg.

“Mamma” Jacob smiled as he held the fire truck up, showing Charlie his new toy.

“Aww wow” Charlie smiled “What does Jacob say to Brax?” Jacob looked back around to Brax who was standing in the middle of the living room.

“Ta” Jacob said, although it was barely audible as he hid his head against Charlie’s leg. Brax smiled lightly as he walked towards Charlie and looked down as Jacob frowned. “No no” Jacob squealed as he held his hand out, as if asking Brax to stop walking. “Mamma” Jacob said as he held his hand out to go to Charlie, but Charlie shook he head as she stepped forward, and closer to Brax.

“You know, I think he feels threatened by you” Charlie said “Here’s someone new coming in to get Mamma’s attention” Brax smiled lightly as he took a step forward.

“Well little man, you know you have nothing to worry about” Brax said as he looked down at Jacob. “I think you’ll always be Mamma’s favourite guy”

“Of course he will” Charlie smiled “But you know, you might come in a close second” Charlie teased as she pulled Brax into a kiss.

Thank you cb2180, Jen1205, RoRo90, JosieTash, Aden_Belle, Zoe, Sarah, Sazzle, Red Ranger 1 and pembie for the comments. :wub:

Chapter 93

Charlie handed Brax his cup of coffee before she filled up Jacob’s sippy cup with some juice for him. “Cookie” Jacob grinned up at Charlie. Charlie laughed lightly as he opened the cupboard and handed her son one of the cookies he did like. “Well since Brax tried to bribe you with the wrong kind, I guess it’s only fair I give you one” Jacob grinned excitedly before he ran over to the couch and climbed up to it before he started to eat his cookie.

“Oi” Brax laughed as he lightly hit Charlie’s side. “You’re to blame here missy. You knew he liked a specific kind and you didn’t tell me. Did you purposely do this so I would fail?”

“Of course I wouldn’t” Charlie laughed lightly “It really did just slip my mind”

“Mmm” Brax said unsure.

“Anyways, he likes the fire truck you bought him” Charlie smiled as she pointed over to Jacob who was running the truck along the arm of the couch.

“Great, so what....20 more of those and he’ll like me?” Brax laughed.

“Aww don’t worry too much about it” Charlie said “And besides, I like you....like I really really like you” Charlie grinned as she pulled Brax closer and into another kiss. Brax smiled as he placed his coffee cup up on the worktop, before wrapping his arms around Charlie’s tiny frame, and returning the kiss as it became more passionate. He ran his hands up her back, before moving them back down, wanting to pull her top over her head. “Mmm” Charlie said as she pulled back “Let’s keep it PG” Charlie said as she looked over to her son, who seemed engrossed in a kids TV programme that was playing on the TV. Brax smiled as he gave Charlie one more quick kiss before he picked his coffee cup back up, and walked over to the couch and sat down next to Jacob.

“Mind if I join you buddy?” Brax spoke softly as he looked at the little boy who didn’t take his eyes off the TV, but moved along on the couch, further away from Brax. Charlie laughed lightly at her son, just as Ruby’s screams could be heard.

“Casey, no, no” Ruby screamed as Charlie ran through to the bedroom.

“Shhh, Rubes” Charlie said as she sat down on the bed and comforted her daughter. “It’s just a bad dream”

“It felt so real” Ruby cried “His breath on my neck, the smell of his cologne” Ruby cried as she tightly gripped her mother.

“Shhh” Charlie said “Don’t think about it”

“Easier said than done” Ruby replied.

“I know” Charlie exhaled “Listen, what would you think if I suggested that you went to talk to a someone about this?”

“What like a therapist?” Ruby questioned as she looked up at her mother.

“Well, I was thinking a counsellor” Charlie said “I know you might not think it’ll help, but the couple of times I went to see one after my....” Charlie trailed off “It did help and I wish I continued to see one, and then with the whole commitment issue thing too, they really helped me there”

“Can I say I’ll think about it?” Ruby questioned.

“Of course” Charlie smiled “It’s all I ask” Charlie said just as April walked into the room.

“Hey, hope you don’t mind, Brax let me in” April said.

“Brax is here?” Ruby questioned as she looked to Charlie and Charlie nodded as a smile formed on her face. “Are you two?” Ruby said and Charlie nodded once again. “Mum, that’s great” Ruby smiled as she hugged her.

“You sure you’re okay with this?” Charlie questioned and Ruby nodded.

“Yeah” Ruby said before she looked up at April before looking back to Charlie.

“Well, I’ll leave you two to talk” Charlie said as she walked out of the room, and back to the living room, to join Brax and Jacob on the couch.

“So footie is on” Brax said as he looked around to Charlie and grinned.

“Jacob is watching his cartoon” Charlie replied as her son crawled up onto her knee. Charlie wrapped her arms around her son loosely as she kissed his head.

“So what’s this show called?” Brax asked.

“Florries Dragons” Charlie answered and Brax raised his eyebrows.

“Aye, and what’s it about?” Brax questioned.

“Someone called Florrie who has dragons” Charlie said, pointing out the obvious.

“Well yes” Brax answered “But surely there’s more to it than that?”

“Brax it’s a show for toddlers” Charlie sighed “It’s about a Princess who lives in a kingdom with friendly dragons”

“Friendly dragons?” Brax questioned “Well what’s the point in that?”

“Well they couldn’t exactly be evil fire breathing bad ones, could they? It’s supposed to make the kids happy, not scare them” Charlie said.

“Well the opening song is enough to put me off for life. Talk about annoying”

“Hey, you’ve only had to watch it once. Consider yourself lucky” Charlie said “But Jacob seems to enjoy it, so that’s all that matters” Charlie smiled as they looked down to Jacob who was grinning at the TV, as April and Ruby came out of the bedroom.

“Apil” Jacob smiled as he jumped down from Charlie’s knee and ran over to her and showed her his new toy truck.

“Aww wow” April said “Is this new?” Jacob nodded as he pointed to Brax. “You got it from Brax?” April questioned and Jacob nodded. “You’re very lucky” April grinned as she ruffled Jacob’s hair. Although Jacob looked more like Charlie than Angelo, he did take the same hair colour as his father, but that was pretty much the only thing Jacob took from Angelo, the rest of him being all Charlie. Jacob giggled excitedly before he looked up to Ruby and grinned before showing her his new toy.

“It’s really cool Jakey” Ruby managed a smile. “Did you say thank you to Brax?” Jacob nodded before he ran back over to the couch, this time placing himself in-between Charlie and Brax, resting his little hand on Brax’s thigh. Brax looked to Charlie and smiled lightly before turning to face the girls again.

“We’re just going to go for a walk” April announced.

“Oh” Charlie said “Are you sure you’re up for that Rubes?”

Ruby nodded lightly “I just want to get out of here for a bit”

“Okay, well just call me if I’m needed for anything” Charlie said.

“Yeah, we will” April answered, before they walked out of the house.

“She’ll be fine with April” Brax said reassuringly as he saw the look of doubt on Charlie’s face.

“I know” Charlie smiled lightly.

“So, I guess you know Casey ehm....” Brax trailed off. He felt he couldn’t avoid the subject any longer. “Well, he wasn’t arrested yesterday. He got sent home”

“I know” Charlie nodded lightly.

“I tried to chuck him out the house. But Mum and Heath are on his side, so I left instead”

“You left the house?” Charlie questioned and Brax nodded “I don’t wanna stay in the same house as rapist...” As Brax saw Charlie’s reaction to the word, he reached his hand out and rubbed her arm in comfort.

“So, where did you stay?” Charlie questioned.

“In a motel” Brax answered “It’ll do till I find somewhere in the bay”

“You’re going to move to the bay?” Charlie questioned.

“Makes sense too” Brax answered “My business is here. Well okay, technically it’s not my business at the moment, but I am going to get it back again, and you live here, I don’t have anything keeping me in Mangrove River”

Charlie smiled lightly at Brax. “I would offer but...”

“No, I know” Brax answered “We don’t want to rush back into things”

“Thanks for being so understanding” Charlie smiled.

Brax smiled lightly “It’s fine” Brax said “I should be thanking you. Even after what my brother did you still want to be with me. Well after a slight hiccup”

“Well it’s not your fault, really” Charlie said “And you believe he did this, so....I mean if you thought he was innocent things might have been different, but...” Charlie trailed off and once again Brax smiled lightly.

“Do you want me to talk to him?” Brax asked “Maybe I can get a confession out of him? And I won’t use my fists” Brax laughed lightly, trying to lighten the mood. “That part of my life is in the past”

“Thanks, but no” Charlie shook her head “We just need to leave it to the police” Charlie said “It kills me that I’m not allowed to be on this case. You know, and I promised Ruby I would get him for this. What am I supposed to do?”

“Well, we don’t want you getting into trouble for not following orders, so I hope you won’t do anything stupid”

“No” Charlie shook her head.

“You promise?” Brax questioned and Charlie nodded as she pursed her lips together. She wasn’t sure if she could keep that promise. Casey had hurt her daughter, and she was going to arrest him for this one way or another, she’d make sure of it, after all she’d made a promise to her daughter that she would do this, and she felt that that promise had to be kept.

Thanks soph1303, Sarah, CharlieAndBraxLover, JosieTash, Aden_Belle, Red Ranger 1, totally and Chax47 for leaving a comment. :wub: They make me smile and really keep me writing. Hope you like this next one.

Chatper 94

Ruby and April were walking along the beach, April’s arm liked around Ruby’s as they carried their fruit smoothies in their other hand. “April, do you think my Mum is right, that I should talk to a counsellor?”

“It wouldn’t hurt” April said “And I know it really helped Bianca out”

“Just, I would talk to one, but I do know if I could without someone there, you know at least at first” Ruby sighed lightly as she looked out to the ocean, watching the surfer in the distance.

“Well I’m sure your Mum would go with you for support, or I could come, if you wanted. Anything to make it easier for you” April smiled lightly as they continued to walk along the beach.

“Thanks” Ruby smiled weakly. “I guess I can look into it” Ruby said, before she stopped frozen to the spot as she saw the surfer emerge from the water. Her smoothie fell to ground as she tried to turn and run as far away from him as he could, but she remained still, not able to move, no matter how much she tried.

April tried to drag her friend away as Casey walked over to them, a look of anger very much present on his face “What the hell are you doing? Casey asked. “Seriously Ruby, rape?” Casey questioned.

“Casey, don’t” April said “Just go”

“Don’t you tell me what to do” Casey yelled “I haven’t done anything wrong”

“No...I can’t....I...” Ruby said finding it difficult to breath. “I can’t...”

“What the hell are you lying for?” Casey yelled as he took a step closer to Ruby. Ruby could feel her heart beating faster and faster as she struggled for breath.

“I can’t.... breathe....” Ruby said “Get....him....away” Ruby started to panic, making herself worse.

“Casey will you get lost” April yelled.

“No, not until she admits I didn’t rape her” Casey said.

“Look at her reaction to seeing you” April yelled “I don’t think someone could fake this. Now get lost” Casey looked at Ruby, who was looking down to the ground, her hand holding onto her chest and she struggled for breath, before he turned and walked away.

“Ruby, Ruby, look at me” April said. Ruby slowly brought her head up to face April. “Copy my breathing” April said “Breathe in.....and breathe out” Ruby tried her hardest to listen to her friend, but she just couldn’t control her feelings. “Ruby, listen, I need you to listen to me” April said again. “Breathe in...one two.....and breathe out....one two” April smiled lightly as Ruby managed it. “Good, now again...in, one two.....and out, one two” April counted the seconds as she tried to regulate Ruby’s breathing. “Okay, in, one, two, three, four, and out one, two, three four” This continued for some time, until April was confident that Ruby’s breathing had returned back to normal. She sat her friend down in the sand and leaned down in front of her, while she pulled her phone out of her pocket.

“April, I’m about to start my shift” Sid said as he picked up his phone.

“I know, it’s Ruby. She just had a panic attack, and I thought with her dia -” April started to talk, but Sid cut her off.

“Okay, just bring her into the hospital” Sid said and April hung up the phone as she looked to her friend.

“Okay, Rubes, were just going to go to the hospital okay” Ruby nodded lightly as she stood up.

“My Mum....you need to call her” Ruby said.

“I will” April smiled “Now, c’mon, let’s get you checked over”

Charlie ran along the corridor of the hospital and into Ruby’s room, where she was lying in the bed, with April sitting next to her. “Rubes, what happened?” Charlie questioned.

“I ran into Casey” Ruby said “I just...I panicked and -”

“We had a bit of a panic attack” April answered as she looked up at Charlie. “I figured with her diabetes it was best to bring her in, just to make sure”

“Yeah, well thank you April” Charlie smiled.

“You mean Dr Scott” Ruby grinned “She’s going to be an ace doctor one day” Ruby said causing April to blush slightly.

“Really, I just did what anyone else would do” April said.

“Don’t be modest” Ruby said “If I ran into Casey alone God knows what would have happened to me”

“Yeah” Charlie said “It may not seem like you did much, but April, thank you so much” Charlie smiled at the girl as Sid came into the room.

“Charlie” Sid smiled “Ruby’s levels were a little low, which did raise some concern, but we’ve brought them up to normal. We can’t say it was the panic attack for sure that affected her levels”

“No” Charlie shook her head “Ruby hasn’t really eaten much since.....so I think that’s more likely the reason why”

“Ruby you know it’s important that you eat right” Sid said.

“I know” Ruby nodded “But Sid you do have to sympathise with me. I live with Charlie”

“Oi” Charlie said “Just because you’re in hospital doesn’t mean you can get away with something like that” Charlie joked and Ruby laughed. “But it’s nice to see you laugh” Charlie smiled.

“Until I remember, you mean” Ruby said as she bowed her head down.

“Hey, c’mon, it’s early days” April said as she took Ruby’s hand in comfort.

“I actually have your result back” Sid said as he looked down to Ruby’s file.

“Already?” Ruby questioned.

“I marked them urgent” Sid said “I didn’t want you having to wait too long for results like these”

“Okay” Ruby said as she took a deep breath. “What are they?”

“Everything’s came back clear” Sid smiled “No sign of any STI’s or internal injures”

“Guess it’s too soon to know if I got pregnant” Ruby said sadly and Sid nodded lightly.

“Yes” Sid answered “But let’s hope it doesn’t come to that. No one should have to have their -” Sid stopped mid-sentence as he glanced at Charlie. “Well, you’re free to go” Sid said as he looked back down at Ruby, before he excused himself from the room.

Charlie and Ruby walked back into the house, after Charlie had dropped April off at her house. She watched in amusement as she saw Brax trying his hardest to settle a shaken up Jacob, who had woken from his nap, while Charlie had been at the hospital, and didn’t appreciate being left with a strange man. “You said he wouldn’t wake up” Brax said as he handed Jacob to Charlie.

“I didn’t think he would, sorry” Charlie said as she took her son into her arms and shushed him. Jacob quickly fell silent as he buried his head against his mother’s shoulder.

“Hey, Rubes, you okay?” Brax asked and Ruby nodded lightly.

“She had a run in with Casey” Charlie said “Little bit of a panic attack”

“Yeah, but I’m okay now” Ruby smiled lightly “Nice to see you around here again” Ruby said as she looked up at Brax. “Even if Jacob doesn’t seem to like it, I’m glad you and Mum sorted things”

“Me too” Brax smiled as he looked lovingly at Charlie.

“And Jacob will come around” Ruby said. “You just have to keep trying”

“I will” Brax smiled “You hear that kiddo” Brax said as he stepped forward and put his hand on Jacob’s back. “You’re stuck with me now so you may as well give in and get to know me”

Charlie laughed lightly as Jacob shook his head as Brax spoke to him. “Someone doesn’t want to share Mamma” Charlie said as the door opened and Xavier walked into the house. “Xav” Charlie smiled.

“Did they let you go?” Ruby questioned.

“Sort of” Xavier sighed “I’m out on bail until the court case”

“What’s Xavier been getting in trouble for?” Brax questioned.

“You’re brother pressed charges against me for assault” Xavier said “And I’m not sorry before you start. The only thing I am sorry for is not hurting him even more”

“I’m with you there mate” Brax said “You shouldn’t be getting in trouble for sticking up for your fiancée after what he did to her”

“So you really believe he did it?” Xavier questioned and Brax nodded.

“Yeah I do” Brax answered “And I want nothing more to do with him, or Heath or even my Mother for sticking up for him”

“Brax” Charlie said lightly “They’re your family”

“Nah” Brax shook his head “I don’t want to be associated with a rapist and people who can stick up for one. I want nothing more to do with them” Brax said again. “You’re my family now”

“I understand why you want to turn your back on Casey, but, Heath and your Mum. Your own Mother” Charlie said. “I don’t get how you can do that”

“Well I get it” Ruby said “And I admire your strength” Brax smiled lightly at Ruby before looking back to Charlie.

“You’re my whole life” Brax said.

“So, I’m guessing you two are back together” Xavier sighed and Brax nodded.

“Yeah mate” Brax said “Its great eh”

“I’m not so sure it is really no” Xavier sighed “But, I’m going to go let my Mum know I’m okay” Xavier said before he walked back out of the house. Sensing that Charlie and Brax needed to be left alone, Ruby decided to excuse herself from the room.

“Well Jakey, how about we go and play and leave Mamma to talk with Brax?” Ruby said as she took her little brother into her arms and disappeared from the room.

“Charlie, are you okay?” Brax questioned and Charlie pursed her lips together as she shook her head.

“Brax, Casey is one thing, and okay, I could understand Heath, but you’re Mother?” Charlie said “I don’t want you losing touch of everything you are”

“I thought you wanted me to change?” Brax questioned.

“Yeah, I wanted you to leave the river boys” Charlie answered “Not your whole life. You’re family; they make you a bit of who you are”

“Look, Casey did wrong and I don’t want anything to do with him, Heath is a bad influence and it’s probably best I stay away from him if I want to go straight, which I really do. Knowing him he is going to get himself into a mess and need me to help him out and I don’t want to go back there Charlie, I want to move away from that and be with you and Jacob”

“Okay, so I can understand that, but you’re Mother?” Charlie questioned.

“Heath is her favourite and Casey is the youngest, so they can do no wrong” Brax explained “She doesn’t want to know me anymore because I don’t believe my own blood. Truthfully Charlie, I didn’t just leave last night. We had a big argument and Mum said I wasn’t welcome in her house anymore, she said I wasn’t really a Braxton anymore. That I.....I was dead to her” Brax said as he bowed his head down.

“Oh” Charlie exhaled lightly “I’m sorry”

“It’s fine” Brax said, trying to put on a smile, but Charlie could see through it. He was hurting. She took a step forward and pulled him into a hug. “You’re my life now, Charlie. You, Rubes and Jacob, and I couldn’t be happier about that”

“What even though Jacob doesn’t like you?” Charlie said and Brax laughed lightly.

“He will” Brax said “I’m going to win that little boy over”

“Well I hope so” Charlie smiled and Brax kissed her forehead softly.

“You can count on it” Brax smiled as he continued to hug Charlie.

“I love you” Charlie smiled as she looked up at Brax and into his deep green eyes.

“I love you too” Brax smiled before he kissed her softy, before they stood in the embrace.

Thank you Cally, JosieTash, Kaza, Sabrina, Zoe, Dingo x, Sarah, Red Ranger 1, Shezza and pembie for commenting. I hope you like this next one.

Warning: Flashback to rape in this chapter.

Chapter 95

It has been two weeks since Ruby’s rape. Two weeks since Casey had denied it and two weeks since Charlie promised her daughter that she would bring Casey down for this. So far, nothing else had happened with the arrest of Casey, Georgie claiming there just wasn’t enough evidence to arrest him for this. “But Georgie” Charlie sighed “He did this”

“Charlie I sympathise with you, but unfortunately, there’s nothing we can do” Georgie said, for what felt like the tenth time that day.

“There must be something” Charlie sighed as she threw the file down on the table. “I need to go out there and -”

“Charlie you can’t do anything” Georgie argued.

“I can and I will” Charlie shouted as she picked up her car keys and made to walk out of the station, with Georgie chasing after her.

“Charlie, just let me and Patrick handle this”

“Oh because you’re doing such a great job with it” Charlie retorted as she opened the car door.

“Charlie, I can’t let you do this. You’re going to get yourself into trouble” Georgie said.

“I don’t care” Charlie said “Because I don’t want to go home to Ruby feeling like this anymore. I want her to stop feeling like she doesn’t want to be here anymore, that’s she dirty and that Xavier doesn’t love her anymore because of this” Charlie said as tears formed in her eyes. “I can’t deal with seeing her like this and I promised that I would arrest Casey and that’s what I am going to do” Casey said as she got into the car, and turned the key in the ignition.

“Charlie” Georgie shouted as she opened the door and sat down in the passenger seat. “You could get into real trouble for this. Is this really worth ruining your career?”

“What, seeing my daughter’s attacker go to jail?” Charlie asked “Of course it is. I would do anything if it meant sending him down and helping Ruby get some justice”

“Well I can’t let you do it” Georgie said.

“Well you’re not my boss” Charlie said “So I don’t need to listen to you. Now get out the car”

“No” Georgie shook her head. “I won’t”

“Look, I don’t want you getting in trouble for this” Charlie sighed “So please just let me do this myself” Charlie said and Georgie shook her head. “Fine, you had your chance” Charlie said before she drove off in the car heading in the direction of Mangrove River.

“So, what’s the big plan?” Georgie asked.

“I don’t know that yet” Charlie said “I’m kinda playing this by ear”

“You know it’s not too late to change your mind. Do the right thing”

Charlie shook her head as she continued to drive the car. “I going to get him to confess” Charlie said “Even if I have to be ruff with him. He hurt my daughter and he’ll deserve whatever I throw at him”

“Charlie, you’re not really in the right mood right now to be going around accusing people of things. I think you need to calm down and go back to the station”

“No” Charlie said “And I’m not accusing him. I know he is lying” Georgie sighed lightly as she looked at Charlie. She was worried for what she was about to do. Although to an extent she did sympathise with her, she knew what Charlie was doing was wrong, but she couldn’t see anyway of stopping her now. Charlie pulled the car up front of the Braxton house, to find Casey and Heath walking up to the door with their surfboards under their arms. She marched out of the car and over to Casey to where she grabbed hold of his arm causing him to call out in pain as he dropped his surfboard.

“What the hell are you doing?” Heath asked.

“Casey Braxton. I’m arresting you for the sexual assault of Ruby Buckton” Charlie began reading him his rights but Heath stopped her.

“That’s funny Sarg” Heath said “You’re not on the case. You can’t arrest him”

“I can, and I am” Charlie spat before she began walking over to the car, dragging Casey with her.

“Get off me” Casey yelled “You’re hurting my arm” Charlie gripped onto Casey even tighter as she pushed him against the side of the car, and Georgie jumped out as Heath came behind Charlie, about to touch her.

“I wouldn’t do that Mr Braxton” Georgie said as Charlie put the cuffs tightly onto Casey as he winced.

“Get in” Charlie said as she pushed Casey into the car, slamming the door shut behind him.

“This isn’t right” Heath said “You’ve gone crazy, Buckton”

“You want arrested as well” Charlie asked as she pulled the cuffs from Georgie’s belt.

“Alright, alright” Georgie said as she took her cuffs from Charlie. “You get inside” Georgie said as she looked to Heath. “And you, you made your point, now let Casey go free”

“No” Charlie shook her head “I’m going to get him to confess”

“Charlie you know this won’t be on record” Georgie said.

“You are an officer on this case. If you are there its fine” Charlie said, making herself believe what she was doing was okay. Georgie sighed lightly as she looked to Charlie.

“Charlie” Georgie shook her head.

“Fine, I’ll do this without you” Charlie said as she got into her car and drove off leaving Georgie standing outside the Braxton’s house with Heath.

“She’s mental” Heath laughed before he walked away, leaving Georgie standing outside the house alone. She sighed lightly before she took her phone from her pocket and dialled the number. She didn’t want to do this, but she felt she was left with no choice.

“Inspector Joyce” Georgie said. “There’s been a bit of an incident”

Charlie stopped the car outside of the club and walked around to the back door, opening it and dragging Casey out of the car. “Take me to where you and Ruby went” Charlie spat in his ear as she held onto him tightly. Casey walked in the direction of the alley, and walked along it, before he stopped where the street ended at the back door of the club. “Now what happened” Charlie asked, but Casey remained silent as tears formed in his eyes. “Casey” Charlie yelled as she struck his arm. “Tell me what happened” Casey closed his eyes as memories of that night came flooding back to him.

Casey and Ruby walked out the club and along the side alley, until they were alone. Casey smiled lightly as he tucked Ruby’s wavy locks behind her ear, before cupping his hand against her cheek. Ruby smiled nervously before Casey placed his lips against hers, kissing her softly. Ruby pulled back and shook her head lightly. “Casey” Ruby said “We shouldn’t”

“Shhh its okay” Casey smiled before he kissed Ruby once more, and this time, Ruby gave in, kissing him back. The kiss became more passionate as Casey ran his hands up Ruby’s back.

“Mmm Casey no” Ruby said as she pulled back.

“You don’t have to be worried about Xavier” Casey shook his head “He doesn’t need to find out about this” Casey whispered as he kissed Ruby’s neck.

“No, Casey, please” Ruby said as he tried to push him back, but he was too strong for her.

“Shhh Rubes” Casey said “It’ll be our little secret” Casey said before he continued to kiss her neck as he moved his hands down and unbuckled his belt.

“Casey, no” Ruby said as tears formed in her eyes. “I don’t want this”

“Shhh” Casey whispered as he gripped tighter onto Ruby “Don’t fight what you want”

“But I don’t want it” Ruby shook her head “Casey, please don’t” Ruby said, just as Casey thrust himself inside her. Ruby tried to call out but she’d become paralysed with fear. She opened her mouth to shout out for help, to beg Casey to stop, but no words came out. As she felt him inside her a lone tear rolled down her cheek. She tried to move her hands but Casey’s grip was too tight, she was trapped. As she once again tried to shout out, she found herself still unable to say anything. Closing her eyes tightly she hoped this would be over soon.

“Oh God” Casey said as tears formed in his eyes. “I really didn’t realise.....I thought.....when she went quiet, I thought she gave in to what she really wanted. But, she didn’t. She didn’t want this. She was....she was too scared to shout out” Casey shook his head as a tear rolled down his cheek. Charlie too felt herself well up as Casey had admitted to raping her little girl. “I’m so sorry, Charlie, I didn’t mean this, I swear, I thought....but I was wrong. She kept asking me to stop, but I just kept ignoring it thinking eventually she would give in and I thought she had but....” Casey tears became heavier as realisation that he was a rapist hit him “Oh God what have I done” Casey cried “I’m a rapist” Casey cried as he fell to the ground in tears. He felt disgusted with himself. He couldn’t believe that he didn’t stop the first time she said no. “I’m sorry. I’ll go jail and take my punishment. It’s what I deserve” Casey cried as Charlie lifted him from the ground and they walked back to the police car. As she drove back towards the station, the tears rolled down her cheeks as she continued to hear Casey cry. She cried for her daughter, but also, she knew what she’d done was wrong, and that Casey’s confession to her had meant nothing for the case, and to top it all off, she’d just risked her job in getting Casey’s worthless confession.

Thank you so much Dingo x, JosieTash, Sarah, Arielxo, Soph1303, cb2180, Aden_Belle, Red Ranger 1, Shezza, marie_the_bee, Jen1205 and pembie for the comments. :wub: I hope you like this next one.

Chapter 96

Ruby walked into the Diner, for the first time in the 2 weeks since her rape. She suddenly felt like all eyes were on her, especially Colleens. Bianca stepped forward and placed her hand on Ruby’s shoulder in comfort. “We don’t need to eat here if you don’t want. I thought you might have just liked a change of scene from your house” Bianca said, referring to Ruby seeking refuge in her house, never leaving, apart from going to see her counsellor, in fear of running into Casey.

“No, I need to do this” Ruby said as she took a deep breath as she found a table.

“Oh Leah its Ruby” Colleen said quietly. “What do I say?”

“You says hello and ask how her day is going and then you take their order” Leah instructed.

“No, about what young Casey Braxton did” Colleen said in a whisper.

“You say nothing” Leah said “And I mean that Colleen, nothing” Leah spoke sharply and Colleen nodded as she scurried over to the table.

“Bianca, Ruby” Colleen smiled nervously as Jacob let out a little squeal, letting her know that he was there too. “And of course little Jacob” Colleen smiled as she stuck her head in the buggy.

“Cookie” Jacob smiled.

“Oh well you see we eh...won’t don’t have cookies” Colleen said worriedly as she looked at Bianca.

“That’s okay” Bianca laughed “Could you just bring us a little slice of chocolate cake for him”

“Well I don’t know, we charge per the slice but if you’re asking for a little bit well I’m not sure what it would cost and -”

“Colleen” Leah sighed as she walked over to the table. “Of course we can get a little slice for him, go and get some” Leah said as she pushed Colleen in the direction of the kitchen. “And what can I get for you two” Leah asked.

“I will have the lasagne and a latte please and thank you” Bianca smiled as Leah wrote down her order.

“And for you Rubes?” Leah asked as she smiled down at her.

“Eh...the chilli chicken wrap please” Ruby said quietly “And an orange juice”

“Sure” Leah smiled “Coming right up. And it’s nice to see you out again” Leah smiled lightly as rubbed Ruby shoulder before she walked off to the kitchen to prepare their order.

“See not so bad is it?” Bianca asked and Ruby shook her head lightly as she look down to her baby brother who was struggling in the buggy, wanting out. She leaned forward and unbuckled the strap before she lifted him onto her lap. Jacob grinned excitedly as he clung onto the red fire truck, that Brax had given him 2 weeks early and hadn’t been able to put down since.

“I guess not” Ruby said as she looked to the door anxiously. “I keep expecting him just to walk in any second”

“C’mon, Rubes don’t think about that” Bianca said as Colleen walked over with the small piece of cake for Jacob. Jacob eyes lit up and he reached forward and squashed his hand into it as he giggled. “And your orange juice” Colleen said before she quickly put it down on the table before she scurried away again.

“What are you doing woman?” Leah asked as Colleen rushed back into the kitchen.

“Well I’m scared I might say the wrong thing so I just need to give her what was ordered as quickly as possible” Colleen explained and Leah shook her head at the woman.

“Just go and make a coffee for Bianca” Leah said as she walked over to the table with a little fork for Jacob.

“I don’t know if he’ll need this, but I thought I’d bring it over anyways” Leah said as she put the fork down on the table and watched as Jacob rammed the cake into his mouth, getting himself covered in the cake in the process.

“I think it’ll just slow him down” Bianca laughed before he reached forward and tried to pick up Ruby’s class of orange juice.

“Hey, watch it buddy” Ruby said as she took the glass in her hand and helped Jacob take a drink.

“Ahh” Jacob said as he’d took what he wanted to drink, before taking another handful of the cake.

“So how did the counselling session go?” Bianca asked, referring to Ruby’s first meeting, a few days earlier.

“It was good” Ruby said “We didn’t really talk about much to do with....” Ruby trailed off. “It was more of a get to know you kind of session. I guess it makes sense. They don’t want to rush you right into it and make you feel uncomfortable” Ruby said “Mum was with me, I don’t think I could go on my own. I don’t know how I would have gotten through this without her” Ruby smiled lightly “She’s been amazing”

“Yeah, she’s one of the good ones” Bianca smiled.

“Yeah” Ruby agreed.

“So, you’re going to continue to see this counsellor?” Bianca questioned and Ruby nodded.

“Yeah, I’m going again next week” Ruby smiled lightly.

“That’s great” Bianca said and Ruby nodded.

“Hopefully it’ll help me feel better around Xavier” Ruby sighed “Right now we’re not really talking much. I just tend to bite his head off whenever he opens his mouth and he’s still sleeping in the guest room”

“Well I can understand why you don’t want to sleep in the same bed than him just yet” Bianca said “And Rubes, it’ll get easier again, you’ve been hurt badly by a guy and I’m sure Xavier understands that. You just need some time”

“I know” Ruby sighed “But Xavier is so sweet and he’s been nothing but lovely and understanding to me. I’ve just been a proper bitch to him”

“I’m sure Xavier doesn’t hold anything against you” Bianca said softly. “What you are going through is huge. I’m sure you’re allowed to be a bit a moody”

“It’s more than moody” Ruby sighed. “I wouldn’t be surprised if he ended the engagement and got as far away from me as possible”

“He’s crazy about you Rubes. That isn’t going to happen” Bianca smiled as Leah came across with their order.

“Has she not brought you that coffee yet?” Leah asked and Bianca shook her head lightly. “Seriously, that woman” Leah rolled her eyes as she went off to make a coffee for Bianca.

As Charlie pulled up to the station, she saw a less than impressed Georgie, and an even angrier Inspector Joyce standing waiting out front for her return. As Charlie got out of the car, Georgie immediately walked over, and helped Casey out.

“I got a full confession Inspector” Charlie said as she wiped the tears from her face and looked up at Joyce.

“Sargent Buckton, get into your office now” Joyce raised his voice.

“But Inspector, we need -”

“Now, Sargent” Joyce yelled and Charlie looked over to Georgie who was leading Casey into the station before she walked off and into her office. Charlie sat in the office alone for what seemed like hours, but in reality it was only about 10-15 minutes. She took a deep breath as she heard the door open and looked up to see Joyce walk in.

“Inspector” Charlie said quietly.

“Sargent Buckton” Inspector Joyce sighed “Never have I been more disappointed in an officer’s behaviour than I have with you today. You went against orders from above, you abused a suspect, you left a fellow officer without any means of getting back to the station.....do you want me to continue” Joyce said with a raised voice.

“I got a confession” Charlie said.

“So that makes everything else okay?” Joyce asked angrily.

“I got the man who abused my daughter to confess” Charlie said “I think that’s the most important thing, don’t you?”

“No” Joyce shook his head “Sargent, you went against your superiors wishes. You hit Casey and forced him into the car. Do you realised you have bruised him and he is well within his rights to press charges against you” Joyce shouted, unimpressed.

“Okay, so the way I went about this wasn’t the best or the right way, but I think we need to remember that we have a confession”

“A confession that won’t hold up” Joyce said.

“He’s talking to Georgie now isn’t he?” Charlie questioned “I’m sure he’ll say to her the very same than he said to me”

“He may well do, but that still doesn’t change the fact that you went against orders from me, you physically hurt a suspect, and also, not to mention Sargent, I have it on good authority that you have resumed you’re relationship with Darryl Braxton”

“What does my relationship with Brax have to do with anything?” Charlie questioned.

“He is a convicted criminal” Joyce said “And Sargent, I’m sure you are aware of your position in the town. You cannot be seen associating with the likes of him”

“He’s changed” Charlie answered “He’s not that person anymore”

“Sargent, I’m sure you can see why we wouldn’t be happy with you dating Mr Braxton”

“So what are you saying?” Charlie questioned.

“I didn’t want to do this, Sargent, but I’m afraid you’ve left me with no choice” Joyce said. “Giving today’s events and your relationship with Mr Braxton, I feel you are not in a position to do your job accordingly and I’m placing you on suspension”

“Suspension?” Charlie questioned. Although she knew it was possibly coming, she was also a bit surprised that it had come to this. “Well, how long for?”

Joyce took a deep breath. “Indefinitely, effective immediately”

Thank you Sarah, cb2180, mizziette, JosieTash, Aden_Belle, Zoe, Red Ranger 1, once_upon_a_mind, pembie and Dingo x for commenting. Hope you like this next one.

Chapter 97

Charlie was packing her things away in her office, trying to stop the tears falling down her cheeks, when there was a knock at the door and Georgie walked in. “Got a full confession, isn’t pressing any charges against you, and he’s dropping the charges against Xavier” Georgie smiled.

“That’s great” Charlie smiled weakly as she picked up the photo of Jacob and Ruby from her desk.

“Charlie” Georgie said “It’s better than great, its -” Georgie stopped talking as she noticed what Charlie was doing. “What’s going on?”

“I got indefinite suspension” Charlie said as her voice almost broke with the tears she desperately wanted to cry.

“What?” Georgie said “That’s crazy. Charlie you don’t deserve that”

“Maybe I do” Charlie said as she bit her bottom lip. “What I did was wrong and I needed to be punished”

“But indefinite?” Georgie questioned “That’s a bit extreme. I thought maybe a few weeks, a month tops was all you’d get” Charlie shook her head lightly as she sat down at her desk.

“I just need to face that this part of my life is over” Charlie sighed.

“No, Charlie” Georgie said “If it wasn’t for you we’d probably never have got the truth about this. I’m going to talk to Joyce”

“Georgie, leave it” Charlie said as she stood up and walked after her friend.

“Inspector” Georgie said as she stood behind him. He turned around to face her with a questioning look on his face.

“Yes, Constable?”

“Sargent Buckton is one of the best officers on this force, if not thee best. You can’t suspend her indefinitely” Georgie said.

“I can and I have” Inspector Joyce answered.

“So there’s nothing at all she can do to make you change your mind? You know as well as I do that Casey would never have confessed if it wasn’t for what Sargent Buckton did this afternoon”

“While that may be true, it still doesn’t change the fact that Sargent Buckton went across the line and her actions were wrong. Now, if Sargent Buckton was willing to take demotion back to Constable, and a 6 month suspension, I may consider taking her back on the force”

“Constable?” Charlie questioned “All the way back to Constable?”

“I don’t think you are in any position to be picky, Sargent” Joyce said.

Charlie pursed her lips together as she thought about the offer “And what about my relationship with Brax?”

“My offer only stands if you end your relations with Darryl Braxton” Joyce said and Charlie once again pursed her lips together as she thought about the offer. Take a huge demotion, but still be in the job that she had worked for years to be at, but at the sacrifice of her happiness with Brax, or take the indefinite suspension and be with Brax. It came down to what she wanted more in life. Her job, or finally the chance to be happy, with a man she truly loved.

“I’m not going to end my relationship with Brax” Charlie said as a lone tear managed to escape her eye.

“Then the suspension - or I guess it’s really expulsion – still stands” Joyce said before he turned and walked away. “Oh and Georgie” Joyce said “We’ll be needing a new Sargent. The first offer goes to you”

“Me? But Sir, I’m only a Constable. You want me to jump Senior Constable and Leading Senior -”

“I wouldn’t mention it if I didn’t think you’d be up to it. The offer is there” Joyce said before he disappeared into the interview room, to talk with Casey.

“Charlie, I -”

“You should take it” Charlie said trying to sound pleased for her friend. “You’re a great officer, Georgie”

Georgie smiled lightly as she stepped forward and placed her hand on Charlie’s arm in comfort. “I learned from the best” Georgie said and Charlie smiled at her friend.

“I need to pack away the rest of my things and get out of here” Charlie said as she turned around and walked back into the office, with Georgie following, offering her help.

“You know, if it was my daughter, I think I would have done the same” Georgie said. “No one deserves to get away with that”

“Well I can find some peace in this knowing that Ruby got justice and that’s the most important thing. More important that any career is” Charlie said “Yeah I’m devastated that I’ve lost my career but knowing this is going to bring some peace for Ruby, I’d do it all again in a heartbeat”

“You know, you could still have this career, if you ended -”

“No” Charlie cut Georgie off “I’m not going to throw away my chance at finally being happy. I love Brax so much and I’m not going to throw away what we have for my career” Charlie said as she put the final item of her belongings into her box. “Well I guess that’s it” Charlie smiled lightly as she looked around the room as the tears started stinging her eyes, as she remembered back fondly over her career. She took a deep breath before she took the box out to her car, before walking back into the station, and said her goodbyes to her fellow officers.

“Sargent” Inspector Joyce said as he stood before. “It’s been a pleasure to have you on this force, and I am sorry that it came to this” Charlie smiled lightly as she reached into her pocket and lifted out her police id badge. She exhaled lightly as she handed it to Joyce, before she handed him back her gun, cuffs, and police belt. Not being able to talk, she smiled thankfully at Joyce before she stepped forward and picked up the pen, ready to sign herself out for the last time. Taking a deep breath, and extra-long to write her name, she silently said goodbye to this part of her life. She looked around the station one last time, before she walked out, and over to her car, with Georgie following.

“Now, don’t you be a stranger” Georgie said as she pulled Charlie into a hug. “We need to meet up”

“Of course” Charlie said as she sniffed away another tear.

“You were a great partner, Charlie” Georgie smiled “I’m not sure anyone will be able to fill your shoes”

“Hey, you and Patrick seem to get on okay” Charlie said.

“Yeah, but he’s just so....Patrick” Georgie screwed her face her up and Charlie laughed.

“Well, I best get going” Charlie said “I’ll see you round” Charlie took a deep breath before she got into her car and made the drive back home.

As Charlie walked back in the house she was greeted by a very excited Jacob. “Mamma” Jacob jumped up and down before running over her and lifting his hands up, for her to pick him up.

“Hey, sweetie” Charlie smiled as she lifted her son into a hug.

“I cake” Jacob grinned excitedly.

“You’ve had some cake?” Charlie questioned, trying to decipher what her son was trying to tell her.

“Yeah” Bianca answered on his behalf. “Ruby and I went to the Diner for our lunch”

“You got Rubes to go out?” Charlie smiled as she walked over to the couch and sat down next to her friend, who nodded. “That’s great”

“I cake” Jacob grinned again.

“Yeah” Charlie smiled “Was it yummy?”

“Yum yum” Jacob smiled as he cuddled into Charlie before he jumped down onto the floor and started playing with his fire truck.

“So, what are you doing home anyways?” Bianca questioned. “I didn’t think that you were finished for another few hours yet?”

“Yeah, I ehm” Charlie said as she took a deep breath “I got expelled from the force”

“What the....” Bianca trailed off “What happened?”

“I eh....I sort of got a bit ruff with Casey and got a confession out of him and then -”

“You got a confession out of Casey?” Bianca questioned “Charlie that’s brilliant”

“Yeah, but I got myself expelled from the force in the process” Charlie said sadly. “What am I going to do now?”

“Why did you get expelled?” Bianca asked.

“For what I did today with Casey. I went against orders from above me. I wasn’t allowed near the case because Ruby was my daughter, but I just wanted so much to help her, I.....” Charlie trailed off “And also my relationship with Brax played a part it. He’s a criminal, I’m a cop” Charlie shook her head. “This just isn’t fair” Charlie said as she felt herself tearing up. “I fall in love and I lose my job. I arrest the man who attacked my daughter and I lose my job” Charlie shook her head as she felt a tear escape her. “God, why am I crying?” Charlie asked “It’s just a job” Charlie said as she wiped the tears from her face.

“Hey” Bianca said “We all know how much being a police officer meant to you. You’re allowed to be upset” Jacob looked up to see his mother crying and stood to his feet and walked over to the couch, climbing up and standing on the couch, Charlie holding onto him, so he didn’t fall.

“Mamma” Jacob said as he put his little hands on her tear stained cheeks. “No” Jacob shook his head as Charlie’s tears fell. Charlie smiled lovingly at her son before she pulled him into a hug.

Thank you so much JosieTash, Sarah, Dingo x, cb2180, Red Ranger 1, Aden_Belle, soph1303, Samantha1 and Zoe for commenting. I hope you like this next one. There's only a few chapters to go.

Chapter 98

Brax walked into the Surf Club and over to John. “Darryl” John said sounding less than pleased to see him. “What brings you here?”

“Same as yesterday, and the day before that, and the day before that” Brax answered as he ran his hand gently over the table. “I’m here to get my restaurant back”

“I don’t want the likes of you working in this place” John said as she shook his head.

“Well you see the thing is” Brax laughed lightly “It’s my restaurant, so you really couldn’t stop me going up there and running the joint again”

“No, but we can stop leasing the place to you” John answered.

“I see, so you’d want to buy the restaurant from me? Or find a buyer, but you know in this climate, I’m not sure there’ll be much interest. Now, if you want to make an offer?”

“I can’t afford to start buying restaurants” John said as he shook his head.

“Well then that’s it settled” Brax smiled “I’ll keep running it. And John mate, you really do have nothing to worry about. I’m not the same person I used to be”

“Yeah, well we’ll see how these next 6 months go and then I’ll decide if I want to continue with the lease” John said and Brax nodded in agreement.

“I’d say that’s fair” Brax smiled as he held his hand for John to shake. “Guess I’ll see ya tomorrow” Brax smiled before he turned to walk out of the Surf Club, and made his way to Charlie’s house.

“Bax” Jacob smiled as he ran up to greet the man. Although their relationship was far from great yet, Jacob was warming to the man.

“Hey mate” Brax smiled as he lifted him into his arms. “Is everything alright?” Brax asked as he looked to Charlie and saw how upset she looked.

“I’ll head home, let you talk” Bianca said before she left the house.

“Charlie?” Brax questioned as he put Jacob back down on the floor and took a seat on the couch next to her.

“I eh” Charlie exhaled lightly before she told Brax the whole story of what had happened that day.

“Wow” Brax said “So he confessed eh” Brax sat back in the couch as Charlie nodded lightly. “I’m sorry about your job” Brax said as he looked around to Charlie. “I feel responsible”

“You didn’t make me do anything” Charlie said “It was my choice”

“Yeah, but you also said because of me.....our relationship” Brax said before he rubbed his forehead. “Are you sure you don’t want to take the offer with you still being able to be a police officer?”

“No” Charlie shook her head “I don’t, because that means losing you, and I don’t want that. I love you so much Brax and I just want to be with you” Brax smiled lightly as he pulled Charlie closer, and wrapped his arm around her, kissing the top of her head.

“You know, a position might have just opened for a new hostess at my restaurant” Brax grinned as he looked down to Charlie.

“No offence Brax, but I think I can do a bit more than just showing people to their tables”

“Of course” Brax answered “What about if I were to make you co-manager?” Brax asked “Me and you, we’d make a great team”

“I’m not sure” Charlie shook her head “We’ve only just gotten back together and I’m not sure working with your partner is a very good idea. Yeah it could be fun, but I think we need space too, and work would be one way of getting that”

“Oh okay” Brax said rather sadly “I just thought it be nice”

“I know and I really do appreciate the thought, but I just don’t think it’s the best idea right now”

“Sure” Brax answered “Well I’ll keep an eye out for jobs for ya. Help you hand out resumes, anything you want” Brax smiled before he softly kissed Charlie’s head once more.

“Thanks” Charlie smiled lightly as she snuggled up to Brax.

“You know, it will be a shame I’m not going to see you in that uniform anymore, don’t think you could keep it, from me, do ya?” Brax joked and Charlie managed a small laugh before she started to cry.

“Hey, hey, baby, I’m sorry” Brax said “It was just a joke, I...”

“I know” Charlie cried as she held onto Brax “It’s just when I take it off, that’s it finished. That part of my life, and I don’t know what’s coming next”

“Hey it’ll work out” Brax said “You’ll find a job that you rock at, and in the mean time you have more free time to spend with me” Brax grinned “And of course Rubes and Jake” As Jacob heard himself being mentioned he ran up to the couch and climbed up on Charlie’s knee. Charlie smiled lightly as he hugged her son.

“Yeah, I guess” Charlie said “And you know, I’d say it was worth ruining my career to get Casey convicted”

Brax exhaled lightly as he rubbed Charlie’s back in comfort. “So what happens with that?”

“Well because he’s already pleaded guilty, it doesn’t need to go to trial. He’ll just be sentenced and then sent down” Charlie explained and Brax nodded.

“You know, I was sure he did this, but actually hearing that he plead guilty and he’s going down for this, it’s a bit of a shock” Brax said.

“Things like that” Charlie said as she shook her head “Often the people that you don’t expect.....they surprise you. I wouldn’t have thought he was capable either, but, Ruby wouldn’t lie about this, so I knew” Charlie said. Brax exhaled lightly as he kissed her forehead once again.

“Well at least Ruby can get some justice now” Brax smiled “And you know, I kinda feel like a weight has been lifted off our relationship too”

“How do you mean?” Charlie asked as she looked up at him.

“Well just the not fully knowing, my brother and what he could have done....maybe it’s just me, but I dunno, I just think it has” Brax said and Charlie smiled lightly before she rested her head against Brax’s shoulder.

“Well whatever happens, I chose you over my career, so you better make it worth my while” Charlie said.

“Of course I will” Brax smiled before he kissed her softly.

Charlie came back through to the living room after settling Jacob as he woke, to find Ruby had joined them. “Hey, sweetie” Charlie smiled. “How you feeling now?”

“I just can’t believe you did that for me” Ruby smiled lovingly at her mother.

“Ruby I’d give up anything in a heartbeat for you” Charlie smiled.

“Even Brax?” Ruby questioned and Charlie opened her mouth to talk but no words came out. “Nah, I could never stand in the way of you two” Ruby smiled lightly. “But you, Brax, do one little thing to hurt my mother, I’ll be after you”

“I understand” Brax nodded “And you don’t have to worry about anything. I’d never do anything to hurt your mother” Brax said as he smiled lovingly at Charlie before kissing her softly.

“Okay, I’m happy for you and all but please don’t do that in front of me again” Ruby said and Charlie and Brax laughed lightly as they pulled back from the kiss. “So, what do you think you’ll do now?” Ruby asked.

“I don’t know” Charlie shook her head “I think I’ll have a bit of a break, spend more time with Jacob and you. I’ll hopefully find something good”

“You could be like anything you wanted” Ruby said.

“Well hardly anything” Charlie said.

“Well what else did you want to be? When you were growing up?” Ruby asked.

“I’ve always wanted to be a police officer” Charlie sighed “So I have no ideas”

“I vote bikini model” Brax grinned as he looked at Charlie.

“Shut up or be serious” Charlie said as she lightly hit Brax’s thigh.

“Babe, I am being serious” Brax grinned.

“Well then no” Charlie said.

“Okay, a massage therapist” Brax smiled.

“Brax” Charlie sighed.

“Well you give good massages” Brax argued.

“What about a child-minder?” Ruby questioned “You’d obviously need to go back to school for some certificates, but you’re great with kids”

“I’m good with Jacob” Charlie said “He’s my child, I love him. But other people kids, no thanks” Charlie said as she shook her head.

“I still vote for a bikini model” Brax said and once again, Charlie struck his thigh.

“Ahh” Brax said “Quit hitting me”

Ruby laughed lightly at her mother and Brax. “Well I guess there’s time to think of something” Ruby said “I’m going to for an early night, so goodnight” Ruby said as she kissed her mother’s forehead before disappearing to her room.

“So” Brax grinned “We’re alone” Brax raised his eyebrows suggestively.

“Oh really” Charlie grinned as Brax leaned in closer to her, pulling her face closer to his and kissing her lips softly before the kissed deepened. After a few minutes of kissing, Brax put his hands at the bottom of Charlie’s singlet, and pulled it up over her head, throwing it to the floor.

“I eh....” Charlie said as she pulled back.

“If you don’t want to yet, we don’t need too” Brax said and Charlie smiled lightly as Brax cupped her cheek with his hand.

“No, I want too” Charlie smiled “I just was just going to say, I think we should move to the bedroom” Charlie said as she stood up from the couch, pulling Brax up into a passionate kiss.

“Mmm” Brax smiled as he pulled back from the kiss, and looked into Charlie’s eyes “Well will you at least model that bikini for me” Brax smiled suggestively as he raised his eyebrows. Charlie laughed lightly.

“Well that depends whether or not you’ve been good”

“Oh, I’ve been very good” Brax grinned before he kissed Charlie once more as she led him to her bedroom.

Thank you totally, marie_the_bee, Chax47, Sarah, Zoe, Samantha1, JosieTash, Shezza, cb2180, Aden_Belle, Jen1205, Dingo x, Red Ranger 1, once_upon_a_mind, soph1303, pembie and CharlieAndBraxLover for the comments. :wub:

Chapter 99

Charlie walked through to the kitchen to find the light was already on and Xavier was sitting at the kitchen table, on his laptop. “What are you doing up at this time?” Charlie asked as she looked up to the clock on the wall to see the time 3.15am.

“I couldn’t sleep” Xavier said as he looked up from the computer screen.

“Well sitting on that isn’t going to help” Charlie answered.

“Yeah I know” Xavier answered “But, I was bored so”

“So, what are you looking at?” Charlie asked.

“Eh, well I was thinking about what you said, you know, about me being a chef, and I love the idea” Xavier smiled. “I’m looking at the Gordon Blue Culinary School in Sydney”

“You mean Cordon Bleu?” Charlie laughed and Xavier screwed his face up.

“Eh yea” Xavier laughed. “It is late, or well, early”

“Ah c’mon, I’m not exactly the best cook in the world and even I knew that” Charlie laughed as she picked up the glass and turned on the tap, filling the glass up with water.

“I just don’t know if now’s the best time to be going” Xavier sighed.

“Well it’s still a few months away till the new school year would start, so I guess it’s worth trying?”

“I don’t know” Xavier shook his head “Maybe I’ll wait till Ruby is finished with her uni then we could move to the city together”

“Move to the city?” Charlie questioned, sounding slightly alarmed at the prospect of her daughter moving away.

“Well yeah” Xavier nodded “It was always our plan to move to Sydney eventually. I mean there is going to be much more opportunities for Ruby there”

“Yeah I guess so” Charlie smiled lightly. “Well maybe you should just wait then” Charlie said “Till Ruby is finished with uni, I mean. She can go start job hunting and you can start with your uni”

“Yeah” Xavier smiled. “I’m sorry about your job” Xavier said. “If it wasn’t for what you did Casey would still be free and Ruby already seems to be getting on much better, and it’s only been a day” Charlie smiled lightly at Xavier as he took a drink of her water.

“Well it was worth it, just to see Ruby’s face when I told her Casey had confessed” Charlie smiled lightly. “Of course I’ll miss being a police officer, it was such a big part of my life, but I dunno, I’m kinda looking forward to having a bit of break and then seeing what other career path is out there for me” Charlie said.

“I’m sure you’ll find something” Xavier smiled.

“Yeah” Charlie agreed “I’ll need to have a lot of money to come at eat at your Michelin star restaurant” Charlie joked.

“Nah” Xavier shook his head “Mother-In-Law eats for free”

“I’m going to hold you to that Xavier” Charlie laughed as Brax came walking through to the kitchen.

“Hey, you coming back to bed?” Brax questioned as he yawned.

“Yeah” Charlie smiled as she walked forward and took Brax’s hand in hers before dragging him back down the hall towards her bedroom.

Charlie and Brax were sitting on the beach as Jacob threw sand over Brax’s feet, wanting to bury them. “Oi” Brax said “Why don’t we both pick on Mamma?” Brax laughed as he started to throw sand near Charlie’s feet. Jacob looked up to Brax, before looking to his mother, before back to Brax and giggled as he started to throw sand over Charlie’s feet instead.

“Oh no where’s my feet going?” Charlie asked and Jacob giggled as he continued to move the sand, with Brax’s help, until he was confident his mum’s feet were hidden.

“Gone” Jacob announced as he pointed to the big pile of sand that had replaced Charlie’s feet.

“Good job mate” Brax said as he held his hand out for a high five and Jacob looked at him and seemed to contemplate the idea, but he changed his mind and opened his mouth and moved his head nearer Brax’s hand, like he was about to bite him.

“Jacob, don’t you dare” Charlie raised her voice as she leaned forward grabbing Jacob’s arm and placing it up near his mouth as Jacob bit down on himself, before he burst into tears. “See it’s hurts doesn’t it” Charlie said before she immediately felt guilty and lifted her son into her arms to comfort him. “See baby that’s why we don’t bite” Charlie said as he rocked her son in her arms.

“No” Jacob shook his head as he looked down to his arm, where he saw his teeth marks. He put his hand on it before he started crying again.

“Charlie” Brax said surprised by her actions.

“Well he has to learn. I figured if he felt how sore it was, he’ll stop doing it” Charlie said as she lightly rubbed her sons back as he continued to scream.

“Still, bit mean” Brax teased as he lightly hit Charlie’s arm.

“Well would he rather he bit you?” Charlie questioned.

“No” Brax shook her head.

“Well then this might work, and then you won’t be saying ‘Charlie’ to me will you” Charlie said and Brax shook his head.

“Okay, keep the hair on woman” Brax laughed as Jacob continued to cry.

“Hey, buddy, how about we go to the Diner, get you some cake?”

“Cake?” Jacob asked as he looked up at Brax, and his tears slowed.

“Yeah, what do you say? Me and you, but no cake for Mamma?” Brax said.

“No” Jacob shook his head as he leaned further into Charlie. Charlie stuck her tongue out at Brax before she stood up and picked up her handbag.

“How about cake for Mamma and Jacob but not for Brax?” Charlie questioned and Jacob nodded lightly.

“I cake” Jacob smiled as he wiped his face with his hand. Brax exhaled lightly as he picked up the bag of Jacob’s beach toys before the three of them walked up to the Diner, and Charlie ordered two pieces of chocolate cake and two coffees.

“Sargent Buckton” Colleen said as she brought over their order.

“It’s just Charlie now” Charlie said “I’m not the Sargent”

“Oh well just because it’s your day off it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be called Sargent” Colleen pointed out.

“It’s not my day off” Charlie answered “I’m no longer on the force, so it’s just Charlie”

“Well why have you left the force?” Colleen asked.

“Oh I’m sure the rumour mill will be churning soon enough” Brax said, sensing Charlie was getting uncomfortable with the conversation. Charlie looked to Brax and gave him a thankful smile.

“Very well, don’t tell me. No-one ever tells me anything” Colleen muttered before she looked down to Jacob. “Aww what’s made you all upset?” Colleen squawked as she stuck her face right in front of the boy.

“Brax bit him” Charlie laughed and Brax gasped in shocked.

“Charlotte Michelle” Brax said “You take that lie back” Charlie giggled just as Georgie walked into the Diner.

“Oh Constable, Constable” Colleen shouted as she ran over to her. “You’ve came just at the right time. I’ve got child abuse to report, child abuse I tell you” Colleen squeaked.

“Colleen I was just joking” Charlie said as Georgie walked over to the table.

“Georgie” Charlie said as she looked up to her former colleague, taking in the extra stripes on her shoulder, the darker coloured badge that now said ‘Sargent G. Watson’. “So I see you took the promotion. Congratulations” Charlie smiled weakly at her.

“Thanks” Georgie said, sensing Charlie’s real mood. “So, what’s this I hear about you biting the boy?” Georgie asked as she looked to Brax.

“I didn’t” Brax said “The kid bit himself and got worked up into a right state”

“Is this true?” Georgie asked as she looked at Charlie.

“Yeah” Charlie said “I was only winding Colleen up, it wasn’t Brax”

“Okay, well I just came in for a coffee, so I should go” Georgie said, as she felt uncomfortable with Charlie, before she walked away.

“You alright?” Brax asked and Charlie nodded lightly as she sighed.

“Yeah, fine” Charlie smiled lightly before she picked up her fork and took a bite of her chocolate cake.

“Me” Jacob said as he held his hand out and grabbed a piece of the cake with his hand. Brax smiled at the boy as he leaned forward and tried to take one of the plates of cake. “Mines” Jacob growled. Brax moved his hand and went to take the second plate of cake, but Charlie shook her head as she pulled the plate closer to her.

“And this one is mine” Charlie teased.

“So, really, I get no cake?” Brax pouted and Charlie shook her head. “So, I guess you’re paying” Brax teased.

“Oh, well in that case” Charlie laughed “What do you think Jacob? Should we let him have a piece?” Jacob looked up to Charlie then to Brax, then down to the cake. He picked a little bit off with his hand before reaching out and passing it to Brax.

“Thanks mate” Brax smiled as he put the little bit of cake into his mouth, before taking a drink of his coffee. Charlie looked at Brax and laughed lightly before she pushed her piece of cake over to Brax.

“You going to let Mamma share with you” Charlie asked and Jacob looked up to Charlie and nodded excitedly. Charlie smiled at her son before she took another piece of the chocolate cake.

Thank you so much, Dingo x, Red Ranger 1, CharlieAndBraxLover, Sarah, JosieTash, Samantha1, Cally and RoRo90 for commenting. :wub: This one is going to be the last chapter, but I am planning a sequel, if there would be interest for one? So, yeah, thanks so much once again, and I hope that you enjoy this last one. It is slightly longer than normal, but it is the last one, so I guess that evens it out :P

Chapter 100

One year later

“Daddy” Jacob shouted as he ran into his parent’s bedroom in nothing but his underpants. “Daddy” Jacob shouted again as he lifted his hands to go up to him. Brax smiled lightly as he picked the boy up into his arms.

“Ah Jacob” Brax sighed as he put the little boy back on the ground. “You’re supposed to tell Mummy or me when you need to go potty”

“I knows” Jacob said.

“But you didn’t mate, and you’ve had a pee”

“Whoopsies” Jacob giggled before he tried to climb up onto the bed.

“No” Brax said “Get down from there” Brax said as he lifted the boy down to the ground. “Charlie” Brax shouted and Charlie walked back into the room, in a gorgeous sleeveless blue dress, that cut just above her knee.

“What” Charlie asked as she looked up at Brax who was about to do up his tie. “You still can’t do a bloody tie” Charlie sighed as she walked across to Brax and started to do up his tie.

“Well yeah, but that wasn’t what I was going say” Brax said. “What I was going to tell you was -”

“I’s made a whoopsie” Jacob said as he looked up at his mother.

“Aww Jacob” Charlie sighed “Remember you need to tell Mummy or Daddy if you need to go potty”

“Me forgots” Jacob said as he took Charlie’s hand and walked through to his bedroom with her, where she got him out of his wet underpants and into some clean ones.

“Now where did you put your suit?” Charlie asked.

“I’s no like it” Jacob shook his head as he pulled a face.

“Well sweetie it’s Ruby’s graduation so you have to dress up nice and smart” Charlie said as she looked around his bedroom, trying to find where he’d put his suit.

“Ruby” Jacob smiled.

“Yeah, now are you going to tell Mummy where you put your suit?” Charlie asked.

“I no remember” Jacob said as he tried to run from the room but Charlie grabbed him and held him close.

“Jacob” Charlie said sternly.

“Okays” Jacob sighed as he ran over to his bin and pointed. “Them’s are wet” Jacob said as he hid his head against Charlie leg, embarrassed. “I didn’t mean it”

“It’s okay” Charlie smiled lightly as she pulled Jacob back from her and rubbed his cheek. “You just remember next time to tell to me or Daddy, okay?” Charlie said and Jacob nodded shyly.

“Hey, you got him ready?” Brax asked as he walked into the room.

“No, he wet himself in his suit” Charlie sighed.

“Well can’t you put the pants in the machine quickly?” Brax asked.

“Well considering we need to leave.... 5 minutes ago” Charlie looked down at the watch and sighed. “No, I don’t think we have the time”

“Jakey wear this” Jacob smiled as he held up his pirate dress-up outfit.

“No, Jacob you can’t wear that” Charlie sighed as she opened his wardrobe, trying to find a smart pair of pants he could wear.

“Jakey wear this” Jacob shouted.

“No” Charlie shook her head.

“Jakey wear this” Jacob screamed before he threw himself to the floor and started kicking his arms and legs as he screamed.

“Maybe you should just let him wear it?” Brax said. “We are running late and it will save a tantrum. Or make this one end quickly”

“Brax, he can’t wear a pirate outfit to Ruby’s graduation” Charlie said with a tone of anger in her voice.

“Look, he’s just a kid, just put something on him and lets go” Brax said as Charlie sighed lightly as she picked her son up who was still kicking and screaming.

Okay, Jakey” Charlie said “Calm down”

“No” Jacob shook his head as he ran over to Brax. “Daddy” Charlie sighed lightly as she stood to her feet.

“Just get him dressed so we can go” Charlie said as she walked out of Jacob’s bedroom and waited impatiently for Brax to come through with Jacob. Eventually Brax and Jacob came into the living room, and they all left to drive to Ruby’s graduation. As they pulled up at the university, and Charlie saw everyone dressed all smart and looked round to her son, she went red with embarrassment. “I can’t believe we’re letting him wear this” Charlie sighed as she opened the back door and took her soon out of the car.

“Don’t stress so much about it” Brax laughed “He’s just a kid. What does it matter?”

“Finally you’re here” Ruby said as she walked over to the car, and noticed her brother dressed as a pirate. “Wow you’re a pirate Jakey”

“Arrgghh” Jacob growled as he waved his plastic sword in front of him.

“Sorry. He had a little accident in his suit and then there was a tantrum so it was either this or we’d never make it in time”

“Ah well it’s no harm done, he does look super cute” Ruby smiled down at Jacob. “Okay, I need to show you to your seat, c’mon” Ruby said as she led Charlie, Brax and Jacob into the university hall and down to their seats where Xavier was already sitting waiting on them.

“Finally you get here” Xavier said as Charlie and Brax sat down, with Jacob taking his place on Charlie’s knee.

“Better late than never, eh mate” Brax laughed, just as the ceremony began. After what seemed like forever, it was finally Ruby’s classes turn to receive their diplomas. After a couple of students, the announcer called out Ruby’s name and she walked up to receive her diploma.

“Ruby Ruby” Jacob shouted as he pointed to his sister. “Ruby” Jacob clapped.

“Shhh” Charlie said as she whispered in his ear. “Quiet now sweetie, she’s finished”

“Oh” Jacob said before they sat through the rest of the ceremony, and to Charlie’s surprise, Jacob was on his best behaviour remaining quiet the whole time. As the graduation ended, Charlie, Brax, Xavier, Ruby and Jacob got their photos taken, much to the amusement of the photographer, having to photograph a pirate, before they drove back to Charlie’s house where they were going to have a barbeque.

“I’m so embarrassed we brought him like that” Charlie sighed as she opened the door to her house, where Brax and Xavier ran in, desperate to get out of their suits and into something more comfy.

“It’s no big deal” Ruby laughed “I thought he looked cute”

“Yeah I’s look cute” Jacob answered as he looked up at his mother will his little puppy dog eyes.

“Aww you do” Charlie smiled as she ruffled her son’s hair.

“Daddy you play” Jacob shouted as he ran through to Charlie and Brax’s bedroom.

“In a minute mate” Brax smiled as he picked up his checked shirt and put it on himself. Smiling as he felt comfortable in his usual attire.

“Daddy now” Jacob stomped his foot as he stuck his bottom lip out.

“Alright pirate” Brax laughed “Don’t you start with another tantrum”

“No” Jacob shook his head as he took Brax’s hand in his and led him out to the front garden where they started to play with the soccer ball. Ruby and Charlie stayed in the house and Xavier ran out to join Brax and Jacob.

“I’m proud of you, Rubes” Charlie smiled as she pulled her daughter into a hug.

“I just graduated” Ruby said “No biggy”

“Well giving what happened in your last year, I think you did good to stay on track” Charlie said and Ruby smiled lightly as she looked down. Casey had been sentenced to 15 years for her rape, and had to do 10 years before chance of parole. After hearing of his brothers sentencing, Heath went off the rails, and ended up back in jail, on charges of robbery, assault and for harvesting and selling marijuana, and had a nine year jail sentence to do. Cheryl stayed the same, relying on the pokies and alcohol to get by, and ignoring the only son who was trying to do good in the world.

“Well I don’t think I would have got by without you, so thanks” Ruby smiled “And thanks for keeping things good with me and Xavier. I think if I kept going the way I was, we’d be over by now, but you helped me see he was worth keeping”

“Just being a mother” Charlie smiled as she gave Ruby yet another hug. “So, I also got you a little extra gift” Charlie said as she opened the top drawer in the kitchen and pulled out an envelope.

“A gift voucher for the spa, where you work” Ruby said. Charlie had recently taken a job as a receptionist at the spa that had opened up at the new resort.

“Well like I said, it’s an extra gift” Charlie smiled “You’ll get you’re proper gift after lunch. Which I should actually get Brax to start up the barbeque” Charlie said as she walked out of the door and saw Brax talking and laughing with the across the street, female neighbour. She sighed lightly as she shouted Jacob and Xavier into the house, before shouting on Brax. Brax ran back across the street and into the house and through to the back garden where he started up the barbeque. Charlie stood in the kitchen, staring out a Brax, as he laughed with Xavier over the barbeque. She sighed once more as Ruby came into the house watching as Charlie was cutting nothing up.

“Mum, what are you doing?” Ruby questioned.

“Cutting the cucumber for the salad” Charlie answered as she continued to stare out at Brax.

“Well you’ve cut it all, you’re just moving the knife up and down over nothing” Ruby said as she took the knife from Charlie’s hand before she cut herself.

“Oh yeah” Charlie said as she looked down and started picking up the cucumber and throwing it into the salad.

“Are you okay?” Ruby questioned and Charlie nodded lightly as she forced a smile, before picking up the salad bowl and walking out to the back garden.

“Hmm” Ruby said as she shook her head, not believing her mother, but quickly shaking it off and went out to enjoy their lunch.

After they ate, Ruby and Xavier went out to celebrate Ruby’s graduation, and Jacob had went down for his nap, leaving Brax and Charlie alone. “Fancy a coffee?” Brax asked as he flicked the kettle on and Charlie shook her head as she sat down on the couch.

“Are you happy?” Charlie asked as she already felt herself welling up with tears.

“What?” Brax questioned as he turned to face Charlie.

“Are you happy?” Charlie asked again.

“What, with our relationship?” Brax questioned and Charlie nodded.

“Of course I am” Brax said as he walked over to Charlie and bent down before her, placing his hand on her cheek. “Hey, what’s this for?” Brax asked as he wiped away the lone tear that fell from her eye with his thumb.

“I saw you” Charlie said “Talking to her again”

“Who?” Brax asked, confused.

“Alison” Charlie said.

“The new lady from across the street?” Brax questioned and Charlie nodded. “So, I was just being friendly, I....Charlie I wouldn’t need to go looking at another woman when I’ve got you”

“I know” Charlie answered “I don’t think it was her you were interested in. I think it was what was in her arms” Charlie said as she bowed her head down.

“The baby?” Brax questioned and Charlie nodded as she looked back up at Brax.

“You really want a baby, don’t you?” Charlie asked.

“Charlie I -”

“No, don’t keep spinning me lies, Brax” Charlie said “I know you want a baby and because I might not, I don’t know what we’re doing here”

“Babe, I don’t need to have a baby to be happy” Brax shook his head. “I’ve got you, and Jacob, and Rubes and Xav. We have a great family already”

“Brax, please” Charlie said “This relationship is only going to work if we are always completely honest with each other and we need to sort this out and decide what the best thing is to do. If we can work together or if we need to -”

“No” Brax shook his head “We’re not splitting up, that’s not an option” Brax said as he held onto Charlie’s arms. “Baby I love you so much”

“I’m going to ask you a question, and you’re going to answer truthfully. Yes or No” Charlie said and Brax nodded lightly. “Do you want a baby?”

Brax exhaled lightly before he nodded his head ever so slightly “Yes” Brax answered, seeing that he needed to be honest. Charlie pursed her lips together as she heard the answer that she had been expecting to hear.

“So what about if I tell you I still don’t want another child and I never will?” Charlie asked.

“Then we are at a hard place in our relationship” Brax answered as he sat up on the couch next to Charlie.

“And what if I told you that the reason I don’t want another child is because I’m scared what people will say about me” Charlie said shyly.

“What do you mean?” Brax questioned.

“Ruby and Jacob, they have different fathers. I have two kids to two different men and if I have a third with a third man, well there’s names for women like that”

“Hey, sweetie” Brax said “No one is going to judge you”

“Brax they will, especially Colleen” Charlie sighed.

“So who cares what an old busy body like Colleen thinks?” Brax sighed.

“I do” Charlie said.

“Okay, but Grant was scum and no-one is going to blame you for not staying with him, and Angelo left you for someone else, so again, not your fault” Brax said before he paused. “Babe” Brax said as he tucked her hair behind her ear. “Don’t be scared”

“I am” Charlie said “I’m scared I’ll tell you that I’ll have your baby for you to leave me, because it’s happened in the past, so why shouldn’t it happen again, you know, nothing lasts forever”

“Okay, so you’ve had a hard time with guys in the past, but babe, I’m not going anywhere. I’m committed to you 100 per cent and I’m always going to be here for you”

“You promise me?” Charlie questioned and Brax nodded.

“I promise” Brax said and he pulled Charlie into a hug.

“Okay” Charlie nodded as she pulled back “Let’s do this. Let’s have a baby”

“Yeah” Brax smiled as he pulled back from the hug and looked into Charlie’s expressive blue eyes.

“Yes” Charlie smiled and Brax grinned excitedly as he pulled her into another hug.

“And, you know” Brax said as he stayed in the embrace. “You’re right. Nothing does last forever” Brax said and Charlie pulled back and looked at him worriedly. “Nothing lasts forever” Brax smiled lightly as he cupped his hand around Charlie’s cheek. “Except you and me”

Comments

Archived