One Thing Leads to Another (by Red Ranger 1) - comments

Inactive User

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOVED this fic from start to finish!!!!!

REALLY ace final 2 chapters !!!! LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVED that, especially ......

 “Xavier, I’m lying in a puddle of amniotic fluid.”

“Right,”he answered, not sure what else he was supposed to say.

April tried again.“Xavier, my waters have broken.”

That he did understand.His eyes widened in shock as he turned and looked at her.“Now?”

 The doctor smiled at them indulgently.“How are you feeling, April?”

“Tired and sore and fat.”

 April leaned over to look into the small crib next to her bed.She reached out a hand and felt tiny fingers grip it in recognition.She looked at the chart next to the crib, inscribed with the words “Lily Scott”.A happy smile spread across her face.

Xavier tiptoed into the room behind her, a bunch of flowers in his hand.He kissed April on the cheek and clambered onto the bed with her, peering over her shoulder.“How is she?”

“Gorgeous.Like her dad.”

“Oh, thanks a lot

 April shook her head.“Xavier, think about it.We’ve been working all the hours we can to afford the rent on that place.Now we’ve got Lily, I’m going to have to give up work to look after her.Or you are. There’s going to be extra food, nappies, a dozen other things we haven’t thought of.We’re not going to be able to manage on our own.”

Xavier was even more concerned.“You’re not saying we should give her up, are you?”

“No, I’m saying we need help.”She looked him in the eye and he realised what she meant.“I think it’s time to go home.”

 “I was thinking of taking a sickie,”Bianca agreed,“Do you think the boss would mind?”

Irene was staring over both their shoulders in the direction of the door.“I think you might want to do that.And I think you both might want something a bit stronger than coffee.”

Gina and Bianca both turned round…and found Xavier and April standing in the doorway of the Diner, a baby nestling in April’s arms.

The two women were frozen in shock.They had made several attempts to track the pair down over the last few months but all had come to nothing.They seemed to come out of their trance at the same moment and ran to embrace the pair.

“Awww, Mum!”Xavier complained.

“Well, I haven’t seen you in months,”Gina protested.She looked at Lily.“Is that my grandchild?”

“And my”-Bianca stared hard at the baby-“niece?”

April nodded.“Lily, I want you to meet your grandma and your Auntie Bianca.”

“Lily,”Bianca repeated,“Awww, that’s cute.”

“Kinda runs in the family,”Xavier noted, kissing April on the side of the head.

Bianca looked from one to the other of them.“Has something happened between you two?”

April grinned.“You could say that.”

 “We managed,”April agreed,“But Lily deserves more than us just managing.”

 April put Lily down in her cot and looked around the room.“Last place we stayed, Daddy and I didn’t even have her own room,”she remarked to her daughter,“You are very lucky to have so many people who want to make sure you have everything you need.”She felt a bit guilty that Gina and Bianca had had to help them out with the bond on the flat but she wasn’t going to let Lily want for anything.

 Xavier grinned.“Heath gave me my job back.”

“Seriously?”

“Yeah.I think he was missing having someone to shout at.I was thinking of getting you to try and persuade him if he said no, I think he fancies you.”April raised an eyebrow.“Hey, stranger things have happened.”

“I went to college,”April noted,“They’re happy to have me start back next year.So I’ve got that long to work out what course I want to do.Irene’s given me a couple of evening shifts at the Diner, that’ll give us some extra money and get me out of the flat.”

“You sure you’re okay with being a waitress again?”

“I’ll cope.I spoke to Molly earlier, she wants to come and visit at the weekend.”

Xavier nodded.“Last time I spoke to Ted he was grumbling about training up my replacement.”

April looked suddenly nervous.“Xavier…things have worked out for us, haven’t they?”

Xavier planted a lingering kiss on her lips and they both smiled.“Yeah.I think they have.”

• QUIET ACHIEVER changed the title to One Thing Leads to Another (by Red Ranger 1) - comments