Late

Guest katieabandon

I'm glad you are all enjoying it. OK here's the next chapter

Chapter 3

At the baby shower, the women are still discussing baby names. “If I were to have a girl, I think I'd name her Emma .” Jen says. “And for a boy, maybe Jackson? Jackson Pollock. Made a beautiful mess.” And with this all the women laugh out loud

“My favourite boys' name--Kurt.” Bianca adds

“Strong name.” Laura comments

“For Kurt Donald Cobain.” Bianca also adds and the ladies laugh. “And my favourite girls' name-- Isabella, after a story that my grandmother used to tell me when I was a little girl.”

“There are many flowers in the garden, but the most beautiful will always be rose.” Grams says.

“Rose Murphy.” Laura says trying out the name combination with a smile on her face

“And for a boy, Thomas, for someone I knew a long time ago.” Grams said thinking back to her husband he died a few years ago of Cancer. She looks over to Jen show smiles back at her as it was her also her granddad.

---

At the Tree Fort, Liam and Matt are still sitting talking enjoying there father/son time which is a very rare occurence these days

“Bianca's probably gonna take a job in Melbourne.” he said sadly

“You think it's a reaction to you going to study Law at Brisbane? Matt questions. “A way of protecting herself?”

“I don't know.” Liam starts, “I mean, I never expected her to follow me to Brisbane, and it's a great opportunity. I'm really happy for her, but-” Liam trails off

“Well, just remember, a couple years ago, your mother and I got a divorce. Now we're more in love than ever.”

“So you're saying maybe even if we break up, we're still destined to be together?” Liam questions his dad’s strange way of thinking.

“I'm saying you have to follow your own path, because with everything else in this life, you just never know.” Matt says.

At the shower, Charlie stands up and walks over to Laura holding a small box and hands it to her. “Well, I was up all night last night, and I couldn't think of a name, but I brought you this instead. I think it embodies everything that a name should. It used to belong to Liam, and, at some point, I'm sure his little brother or sister will like to wear it. It's getting harder to tell what's right anymore, so I hope you like it.” Laura opens the box to see a familiar silver chain.

“Well, of course it's ok, honey. Thank you. I'm sure Liam will be as touched as I am. And thank all of you. You have given me so much to think about during this labor instead of my contractions.”

“Well, you can be thankful that you're not gonna be delivering the baby in the middle of a hurricane.” Jen said thinking back the last about she was involved in. Bessie, Charlie’s older sister, had Alexander in the middle of a hurricane and couldn’t get to the hospital in time so Grams, who used to be a nurse had to deliver the baby at home.

“Let's hope not!.” Said Grams

Thinking back Bessie says, “as bad as that was, it wasn't near as difficult as what I saw my mother go through.”

“Lillian was an amazing woman. Laura thinks back to when Charlie and Bessies mum was still alive who sadly died 4 years ago to breast cancer. “I loved her so much.”

“34 hours after her water broke, the baby still hadn't appeared.” Bessie remembers

“So, what made you finally decide to come out and make your grand entrance?” Bianca asked looking at Charlie who had a blank expression on her face. The talk of babies almost getting too much for her.

Bessie answered, “My mother started calling out her name-- "Charlotte!”, “Charlotte!”, Everyone's waiting to meet you," and there she was. This mass of wet, chocolate hair, these curious, saucer eyes, and a pout we all know way too well.” Charlie is disturbed by all the talk of babies and turns, leaves the group and heads to the house, “Excuse me”. Bessie gets up and follows after her.

REALLY liked that, most especially .......

 “For Kurt Donald Cobain.” Bianca also adds and the ladies laugh. “

 “Well, just remember, a couple years ago, your mother and I got a divorce. Now we're more in love than ever.”

 “Well, you can be thankful that you're not gonna be delivering the baby in the middle of a hurricane.” Jen said thinking back the last about she was involved in. Bessie, Charlie’s older sister, had Alexander in the middle of a hurricane and couldn’t get to the hospital in time so Grams, who used to be a nurse had to deliver the baby at home.

 Bessie answered, “My mother started calling out her name-- "Charlotte!”, “Charlotte!”, Everyone's waiting to meet you," and there she was. This mass of wet, chocolate hair, these curious, saucer eyes, and a pout we all know way too well.” Charlie is disturbed by all the talk of babies and turns, leaves the group and heads to the house, “Excuse me”. Bessie gets up and follows after her.

“What is going on with you?” Bessie asks Charlie as she follows her into Liam’s kitchen

“Is it suddenly inappropriate or immoral to get a little emotional at a baby shower?” Charlie asked innocently

“You're more than emotional.” Bessie tells Charlie. “You're neurotic. You're obsessed with finding your boyfriend. You're creeped out being here. Every time Laura looks at you, you look the other way. If I didn't know you weren't having sex, I'd...” Charlie turns away from Bessie which does not go unnoticed “Charlie!”

“Can you just leave me alone?”

“Are you pregnant?” Bessie asked slowly, not quite sure if she wanted to hear the answer but Charlie just turns away from her with tears in her eyes, “What are you talking about?”

“I can't believe this.” Bessie said with a hint of anger in her voice, “What happened?”

“I'm not having this conversation with you.” Charlie shouts at her sister

“Hey, you better watch it, because if something is wrong, you're gonna need me.” Bessie informs her.

“Why, so I can sit through another series of endless lectures?” Charlie says, the tone in her voice not lowering”

“So you can straighten out your life.” Bessie says more calmly

“Oh, and have one more like yours?” Charlie snaps

“You think you're better than me? Bessie laughs. “Look at you. You're just like mum. You're just like me.”

“No, I'm not, because I assure you, Bessie, that no matter what happens, my life will be different.” Charlie shouted

“You said that right, because at least I have someone in my life who knows how to take care himself, not to mention a family. Do you?” Bessie questions

At that moment, Laura and the others come bursting through the door into the kitchen

“Somebody get my jacket!” Laura shouts over her shoulder to the others

Bessie sees all the commotion and asks, “What's going on?”

“Laura is in labour!.” Grams says following behind Laura with her jacket. Bessie and Charlie look at each other and Charlie with a tear stained face rubs her head with her hands not worried and wondering how she ended up in this situation

At the hospital, Liam, Matt, Bianca and Laura are coming down the corridor with Laura in a wheel chair holding her stomach

“Well, I got to hand it to you, mum. That is the fastest way to end a party and clear out the house I've ever seen.” Liam said

“Going into labour. I'll have to remember that one.” Bianca noted

“How are you feeling, Laura?” The doctor asks as she wheels Laura to the maternity ward

“I want drugs.”

“So do I.” Matt says

“We'll see what we can do.” The doctor jokes

Matt, Laura and the Doctor all go into the room, leaving Liam and Bianca outside to wait.

Outside the Hospital room, Liam and Bianca are getting some antacid from the desk, then walk back to the room. “For my dad. He's nervous about bringing a newborn into his life.”

Bianca laughs. “Well, it changes everything. Consistently putting somebody else's wants and needs before your own. I think that's what finally makes us a grownup.”

“I wonder what that says about us.”

“I think we consider each other's needs, Liam.” Bianca said as they sit down on a chair just outside the room

“Yeah, up to a point. And then, you know, we have to think about ourselves.” Liam said.

“Do you think it should be different at this time in our lives?” Bianca asks

“I... I--I don't know.” Liam said. “All I know is that there's this stupid part of me that just wants to beg you to come with me.”

“And the other part of you?”

“The other part of me is smarter... and knows that you have to let people go.” Liam says

“The timing sucks. I mean, it just sucks”, says Bianca

“Can I ask you something? Maybe I'm misinterpreting things, but I really thought you wanted to sleep with me. Something seemed to change your mind that night on the beach.”

“It just wasn't the right time.” Bianca said looking down to the ground

“Is there ever gonna be a right time?” Liam asks hopeful

“Liam, if I go to Melbourne and you go to Brisbane... getting closer is just gonna make things more painful.”

“What made you decide to apply for a job in Melbourne?” Liam asks

“You're leaving... and I am so unbelievably happy for you, but-- look, I can't take that next step, open myself up like that just to be left. I just can't do that. You know, I've gotta get on with my own life.”

At that moment, Matt walks out of the room, “It's not happening. Not today. False alarm.” He said sadly

“Oh...” Liam said handing him the antacid

“Here honey, this should help a bit.” Matt said as he took the bottle and went back into the room.

LOVED Charlie & Bessie’s confrontation at the start AND ……

 “Well, I got to hand it to you, mum. That is the fastest way to end a party and clear out the house I've ever seen.” Liam said

“Going into labour. I'll have to remember that one.” Bianca noted

“How are you feeling, Laura?” The doctor asks as she wheels Laura to the maternity ward

“I want drugs.”

“So do I.” Matt says

 “You're leaving... and I am so unbelievably happy for you, but-- look, I can't take that next step, open myself up like that just to be left. I just can't do that. You know, I've gotta get on with my own life.”

Archived