Temptation

Guest Chax47

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey!

The next chapter is all done!! Didn't want to leave you guys with too much angst for too long... :P

Can't quite promise that the next chapter will come as quickly, but hopefully you all enjoy this one!

Thanks again for the reviews, and same again....let me know what you think :D

Lianne

Chapter 5

Charlie had rushed over to his house in such a fury that she hadn't prepared what she was going to say when she got there. Hearing that Hayley had been there with him had brought back feelings which she didn't like. Being the jealous woman wasn't a role which Charlie enjoyed playing, but when it came to Brax she couldn't help it.

The knock on the door was a little louder than usual. She only had to wait a matter of seconds before the door was opened, revealing Brax dressed simply in surfer shorts and a vest top. She had to force herself to focus on the reason she was here and not her immediate attraction to him. He momentarily looked surprised to see her, but that was soon replaced with a grin.

"Hey you." He noticed her uniform straight away."Is this a social visit?" He raised his eyebrows at her, although she failed to even smile at her.

"Was she here?" The policewoman in her took over and got straight to the point.

"What?" She didn't answer him. They stood silently in the doorway staring at each other while Brax tried to figure it out. Eventually it occured to him. "Hayley?" He didn't think it was possible but her stare appeared to grow colder. It was a side of Charlie that he wasn't familiar with and he sure didn't like. "She came by earlier this morning, yeah." He nodded as he leaned casually against the doorframe.

Charlie was taken aback by how nonchalant he was being. "That's it? That's all you have to say to me?"

Not wanting to cause a scene Brax gently reached for her arm, pulling her inside. He closed the door behind them and turned her to face him.

"She turned up, uninvited I might add, because I haven't been returning any of her calls or texts."

"She's being trying to contact you?"

"I haven't exactly had the time to break it off with her. We only got back together last night...."

Slowly the realisation that she may have overreacted hit her and she began to feel embarrassed. Brax sensed her change in mood and took the opportunity to move closer towards her. He wrapped his arms around her, pulling her into his arms. She gave him a sheepish smile.

"I'm sorry...I just...." He interrupted her apology with a kiss.

"You have nothing to apologise for. It's me and you. No one else."

"I best get back to work."

"Ok." As Brax pulled her in for a goodbye kiss, he teased her gently with his tongue, forcing his way into her mouth. Before she could reciprocate the kiss he edged back, a sly smile on his face. "You have a nice afternoon in work." He smirked at the flushed look on Charlie's face as she glared at him.

"You'll pay for that Braxton!" She wanted to stay with him and see where that kiss could have led but she knew she had to return to work.

"No doubt." His eyes shone as he looked at her. "I'll see you tonight, 7.30." He gave her a final kiss on the lips before watching her walk away.

------

After her afternoon encounter with Brax, time felt like it was going to stand still. She checked her watch every five minutes, knowing deep down that that wouldn't make 5pm come any faster but she couldn't help herself. After what felt like an eternity, she managed to leave the station and rush home to get ready.

Ruby was coming out of the living room when Charlie nearly ran into her. They both jumped.

"Where are you rushing off to?" Ruby immediately noted that something was going on.

"I have to get ready. I don't even know what I'm going to wear!" It took the confused look on her daughter's face for Charlie to realise that in the whirlwind of the past twenty four hours she hadn't filled Ruby in on the news.

"Wear for what?"

"Er....I have an um...date tonight." Charlie blushed. Although they were more like friends than mother and daughter, Charlie was still embarrassed at revealing certain things to Ruby. Her dating habits being one of them.

"You do?!" Ruby's eyes grew wide. "I didn't know you were seeing anyone. Who is the mystery man?"

"It's Brax..." A new strain of nerves settled in Charlie's stomach as she waited for her daughter's reaction. "We are going on our first official date. In public." Ruby paused for a minute as she took in the news. She had been there for Charlie through the majority of the ups and downs in her relationship with Brax. She knew exactly how much Charlie hurt when they were broken up, and she had been informed numerous times by Casey that Brax was feeling the same.

She threw her arms around her mother's neck and hugged her tightly. Charlie was taken by surprise at the reaction but quickly returned the gesture. Ruby was the first to pull back, her face full of excitement.

"I'll pick something out for you while you shower!"

Charlie laughed as she was ushered towards the bedroom. For once, everything was exactly how she wanted it and she knew she didn't want it to end.

------

After taking the quickest shower known to man, Charlie returned to her bedroom to find a bright blue dress laid out for her on the bed. Ruby ran back into the room with a pair of earrings in one hand and a clutch bag in the other.

"Here take these. They will go perfectly with that dress!" She beamed at Charlie as she placed the goods in her hand.

"Rubes...." Ruby stopped in the doorway and spun around. "Thank you."

"I'm happy for you. This is really good!" They wore matching smiles as Ruby closed the door leaving her mother to get ready for the evening ahead.

Picking up her phone, Charlie checked the time and gasped. I have an hour! She was about to panic when she noticed a small text message icon at the top of the screen. The panic soon disappeared as she opened the message.

Brax

You've been on my mind all afternoon.... x

She bit her bottom lip as she reread the message. She replied quickly.

You can fill me in on your thoughts over dinner....x

She couldn't wipe the smile from her face as she started the task of beautifying herself for their long awaited date.

------

An hour and ten minutes later, Ruby knocked on the bedroom door before entering.

"He's here...." She paused when she saw Charlie. "You look beautiful!" Charlie blushed slightly but smiled.

"Do you think he'll like it?" She looked down at her dress, surprised by just how nervous she was.

"Why don't you go and ask him..." Ruby gestured out to the living room. Charlie kissed her on the cheek as she passed, while Ruby decided to stay in the bedroom to give them some privacy.

Charlie walked out to find Brax standing in the living room. Gone were the surfer shorts and top from this afternoon, replaced instead by a black suit and tie. His eyes were fixed on an object in his hands; a single white rose. Charlie smiled.

He looked up as she walked into the room and gasped. "Wow!" His eyes roamed over her body, taking in as much detail as possible for a mental image. "You look...." For the first time in a long time, Darryl Braxton was lost for words. "You look....wow!" His eyes finally met hers.

I can't believe she is mine....

"You like it?" The strapless dress fell just above her knees, revealing a pair of tanned, slender legs. She had curled her hair slightly, which she had left to fall tenderly down her back.

His smile said it all. He walked up to her, planting a passionate kiss on her lips. "I think I might be the luckiest guy alive."

"You're looking pretty good yourself."

They paused, gazing at each other. It didn't feel real; it were as though everything they had been through over the past couple of months came down to this moment right now.

"Oh...before I forget." He pulled the rose into view and handed it to her. "This is for you."

Her smile grew as she brought the rose to her face and smelt it. Beautiful.

"Thank you."

They looked nervously at each other before they both cracked up and started laughing.

"Come on, this is silly. We have nothing to be nervous about, right?" She looked at him for reassurance, silently hoping that he too was feeling as nervous as she was.

He gave her half a smile as he held out his hand to her. "Shall we?"

Her nerves eased off slightly as she took his hand, linking their fingers tightly together.

-----

Irene sung to herself as she moved around the kitchen making dinner. Bianca stared blankly at the TV. Her eyes followed the images on the screen but her mind was elsewhere. The more she replayed the events from the day, the worse she felt.

April set two places at the table, before looking up at her sister. "Are you sure you won't have anything?" Irene popped her head around the corner to hear the answer.

Bianca paused for a moment before standing up and grabbing a sweater. "No, I actually have to go and do something. I won't be late."

------

It was a little after nine as Heath settled onto the couch with a beer in one hand and the remote in the other. He'd earlier turned down a drinking session over at Mangrove River, chosing instead to drink alone. A sports channel played in the background although he was far too engrossed in his thoughts to pay much attention to the scores.

There was a gentle knock on the front door. Finishing off the remainder of his beer, he placed the empty bottle on the table before making his way over to the door.

"Hey." She offered him a nervous half smile, one which he didn't return. For the first time in a long time there was no obvious reaction at seeing her. "Can I come in?" She gestured towards the living room, her eyes searching his face for any sign of being happy to see her. He gave nothing away.

"Whatever." It had been a while since Bianca had come across the side of Heath Braxton that the rest of the bay were more accustomed to. It wasn't a side she liked, although she knew that chances were she had pushed him to this point. Heath walked into the kitchen, leaving the door open and Bianca still in the doorway. He took another beer out the fridge, paused, and then took a second out. Despite being annoyed, he didn't want to be rude.

"Ok, I guess I deserved that one..." Bianca sighed as she followed him into the house and closed the door.

He joined her back in the living room, handing her the beer without really looking at her. He took his seat back on the couch, his feet falling onto the table in front of him. He stared at the TV, feigning interest even though he was dying to know why she had come round. She sat on the edge of the couch.

Bianca sipped nervously at the beer as she glanced around the room, her eyes finally landing on Heath.

"I'm sorry for snapping at you this morning. It was Liam I was angry at, I shouldn't have taken it out on you." She tilted her head towards his, trying to force him to make eye contact with her.

Glancing in her direction, he took in the beauty of her for the first time since she'd arrived. Her tight denim jeans were paired with a white vest top, and a loose fitting cardigan. Her blonde hair fell in waves around her face. He wasn't sure how long he could stay mad at her for, especially when she looked the way she did.

She noticed his expression warm slightly and smiled. "So does this mean we can be friends again?"

Friends. The word came out of her mouth all too easily, if only the action were as easy.

"Fine. I couldn't have you pining for me or anything..." Heath teased, immediately lightening the mood in the room. Bianca laughed and slapped his arm as she settled herself back onto the couch, their arms pressed against each other.

She tried hard to focus on the TV. A group of men were chasing a disc around a rink....Heath. Her thoughts kept going back to the man sat beside her. Unaware that he too was having the same time concentrating on the images in front of her, she took a long gulp of her beer. She could sense his nervousness beside her, as he too drank his drink in silence.

A couple of minutes passed without either of them saying anything, although their body language spoke volumes. Bianca had shifted slightly on the couch, her legs crossed so that her foot lightly grazed Heath's leg every so often. Heath had noticed this and despite not knowing if it were purely an accident or if she had done it on purpose, it sent shock waves through his system each time she touched him.

"So..." Bianca eventually spoke, not really knowing what to say.

Surely giving in to temptation can't be such bad a thing, could it?

-----

Thoughts?! :)

Archived